PDA

View Full Version : Pinball Highlight Video

Neely2005
01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
www.cfl.ca posted this for Pinball's birthday:

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/10053

eiben35
01-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Awesome hilites from one of the best CFL players ever and an even better person.

paulwoods13
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Here's a link to a video I posted a few years ago, of his first CFL game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpv12ghy9EU

And here is a link to his greatest game as a RB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPDjxhV9kiI

Pinball highlights from his MOP season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fATfScdWdnc

And maybe my favourite Pinball play ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2Zb8KTEtE

Will
01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
It was neat to see his game winning TD in the 1997 Eastern Final and his kickoff return TD in the 1996 Eastern Final. Those are plays I haven't seen since I saw them live in the stadium.

ArgoZ
01-16-2014, 08:01 PM
It was neat to see his game winning TD in the 1997 Eastern Final and his kickoff return TD in the 1996 Eastern Final. Those are plays I haven't seen since I saw them live in the stadium.

1997 Eastern final brought a tear to many after that play. Such emotion and so much drama, all coinciding at that moment. Anyone that was there will never forget it. That was one of the greatest live sports memories/moments in my life.

ArgoRavi
01-17-2014, 01:19 AM
1997 Eastern final brought a tear to many after that play. Such emotion and so much drama, all coinciding at that moment. Anyone that was there will never forget it. That was one of the greatest live sports memories/moments in my life.

That '97 East Final does not get talked about enough. It truly was a classic game and one that should be airing regularly on ESPN Classics but doesn't for some reason. I actually have that game on VHS but no longer have a VCR. I guess that one of these days I will have to figure out how to convert it to DVD. That game happened to be the final CFL game that Don Wittman ever called.

Will
01-17-2014, 09:53 AM
I was there in 1997, but was too young to appreciate what I was seeing. You have to give some credit to the Alouettes because the Argos were simply a dominant team at home that year. By all rights the game shouldn't have been close.

ArgoRavi
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
I was there in 1997, but was too young to appreciate what I was seeing. You have to give some credit to the Alouettes because the Argos were simply a dominant team at home that year. By all rights the game shouldn't have been close.

Montreal was a pretty good team that year too. They were either 12-6 or 13-5 IIRC. IMO, the '97 EF was really the Grey Cup as these were the two best teams in the game.

paulwoods13
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
I actually have that game on VHS but no longer have a VCR.

:ohno:

I have the game digitized and will get around to posting highlights one of these days.

ArgoZ
01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
:ohno:

I have the game digitized and will get around to posting highlights one of these days.

That would be truly awesome. :love:

argolio
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
That '97 East Final does not get talked about enough. It truly was a classic game and one that should be airing regularly on ESPN Classics but doesn't for some reason. I actually have that game on VHS but no longer have a VCR. I guess that one of these days I will have to figure out how to convert it to DVD. That game happened to be the final CFL game that Don Wittman ever called.I agree Ravi. Not many games in Argo history can rival that one for the high level of tension throughout and the dramatic ending.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 03:32 AM
Here's a link to a video I posted a few years ago, of his first CFL game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpv12ghy9EU

I was just watching this again tonight. SkyDome was shiny and new and you can sense the excitement in the stands on that night every time Pinball touched the football. When the camera pans the stadium during a couple of Kauric's punts, you can see a lot of people filling the 500 level of the stadium. I liked the shot of the kid eating McDonald's as well. A lot has changed in 25 years. The Argos won this game 21-17 before 34,840 fans at SkyDome. It was only the second regular season home game in that stadium and it was one of only two regular season losses that the Esks suffered that season.

argolio
07-30-2014, 02:05 PM
It was only the second regular season home game in that stadium and it was one of only two regular season losses that the Esks suffered that season.The last of eight consecutive home victories against the Esks when they truly were the Evil Empire. Good times!

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 02:13 PM
The last of eight consecutive home victories against the Esks when they truly were the Evil Empire. Good times!

I forgot about that! Obie never lost a regular season game at home to Edmonton, at least during his first stint as head coach.

paulwoods13
07-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I forgot about that! Obie never lost a regular season game at home to Edmonton, at least during his first stint as head coach.

Even beat them in 1985, with Mark Casale at QB (against Matt Dunigan).

argolio
07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Even beat them in 1985, with Mark Casale at QB (against Matt Dunigan).Wasn't it Mike Hohensee?

I remember the Argo d-line really abused Dunigan in a couple of those victories.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Wasn't it Mike Hohensee?

I remember the Argo d-line really abused Dunigan in a couple of those victories.

Casale started that game with Hohensee coming off the bench for the finest performance of his CFL career. The Argo d-line got after Warren Moon pretty good in that memorable 1982 game as well.

argolio
07-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Maybe the most remarkable thing about the '82 game is that we won it despite two Hank Ilesic punts that backed us up at the one-yard line.

Will
07-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Casale started that game with Hohensee coming off the bench for the finest performance of his CFL career. The Argo d-line got after Warren Moon pretty good in that memorable 1982 game as well.

The boxscore says that Casale was 11-16 for 125 yards with a touchdown and interception, which hardly seems horrible to me. Hohensee was 12-21 for 238 yards with a pair of touchdowns and an interception. It doesn't make it clear how many times Dunigan was sacked.

paulwoods13
07-30-2014, 03:31 PM

Right, I got the games mixed up. Casale also had one impressive performance that year, IIRC. Ricky Turner (the ostensible No. 2 behind the injured Holloway) did not.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Right, I got the games mixed up. Casale also had one impressive performance that year, IIRC. Ricky Turner (the ostensible No. 2 behind the injured Holloway) did not.

Casale played okay coming off the bench the previous week in Hamilton after Holloway was injured but that is about all I can remember him doing. Turner had a terrific first start against Winnipeg at Exhibition Stadium, Paul, after he came off the injured list in mid-season. He may have even been one of the league's players of the week that week. He didn't do much after that until the very last game of the season in Regina when he came off the bench in relief of Holloway and led the Argos to a comeback victory over the Riders.

paulwoods13
07-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Man, my memory is failing fast, Ravi! Mind you, that whole season was pretty forgettable (and I have very few games from then on video).

Will
07-30-2014, 04:21 PM
The 1985 Argos appeared to have no running game to speak of, which would have made the injury to Holloway even more costly. The running game was not a focal point of the Argo offense under Holloway at any point (except for perhaps 1981), but they still had Cedric Minter and Lester Brown who looked like they could get the job done if needed. Minter and Brown were also valuable as receivers out of the backfield.

http://www.justsportsstats.com/footballstatsindex.php?teamstats=CFLTOR&year=1985

I don't know how many games Holloway actually played, but it looks like he was on pace for good season. Terry Greer amazingly still had over 1,300 yards receiving that year despite the uncertainty at quarterback.

paulwoods13
07-30-2014, 06:18 PM
The 1985 Argos appeared to have no running game to speak of, which would have made the injury to Holloway even more costly. The running game was not a focal point of the Argo offense under Holloway at any point (except for perhaps 1981), but they still had Cedric Minter and Lester Brown who looked like they could get the job done if needed. Minter and Brown were also valuable as receivers out of the backfield.

http://www.justsportsstats.com/footballstatsindex.php?teamstats=CFLTOR&year=1985

I don't know how many games Holloway actually played, but it looks like he was on pace for good season. Terry Greer amazingly still had over 1,300 yards receiving that year despite the uncertainty at quarterback.

IIRC, Minter did not return to the Argos until late in the 1986 season. I recall interviewing him at McMahon Stadium just before his first or second game back with the Argos that season.

Will
07-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Minter played 4 games for the Argos in 1986. The Argos lost 37-14 to Calgary on October 13, 1986 so you're dead-on with him returning later in the season. The 1986 Argos didn't have much of a running game either as they only rushed for 1,231 as a team with Craig Ellis being their leading rusher with 381 yards. Terry Greer had left for the NFL and Condredge Holloway was in his last season as an Argo. J.C Watts I suppose played as admirably as you can, but he was never among the elite QB's in the Canadian Football League. The Argos still went 10-8 that year before the disaster in the Eastern Final. Minter ended up being traded to Ottawa for Gilbert Renfroe, but by that point fortunately the Argos had got a competent tailback in Gil Fenerty to take the pressure off of Danny Barrett, Renfroe and John Congemi.

Argo57
07-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Minter played 4 games for the Argos in 1986. The Argos lost 37-14 to Calgary on October 13, 1986 so you're dead-on with him returning later in the season. The 1986 Argos didn't have much of a running game either as they only rushed for 1,231 as a team with Craig Ellis being their leading rusher with 381 yards. Terry Greer had left for the NFL and Condredge Holloway was in his last season as an Argo. J.C Watts I suppose played as admirably as you can, but he was never among the elite QB's in the Canadian Football League. The Argos still went 10-8 that year before the disaster in the Eastern Final. Minter ended up being traded to Ottawa for Gilbert Renfroe, but by that point fortunately the Argos had got a competent tailback in Gil Fenerty to take the pressure off of Danny Barrett, Renfroe and John Congemi.

William Miller who previously had success in Winnipeg was briefly in the mix in 1986 but didn't do much in Toronto as well.

Will
07-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Miller was there in 1986.

There was also transition at receiver as I pointed out earlier. Chris Woods had 1000 yards receiving for the Argos, but it was also Darrell K. Smith's rookie season. He had somewhere around 500 yards receiving, but would have his breakout year in 1987.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 07:58 PM
By 1986, I can only think of Winnipeg who had any kind of a running game with Willard Reaves. I know that some complain about the lack of a running game today but I would suggest that there is more running in today's CFL than that of the mid-1980s. Of course, I would have to sit down one of these days to see if the stats back up my assertion.

Looking at player participation stats for 1985, it looked like the Argos had a merry-go-round of tailbacks that season with Lester Brown only playing 3 games. Walter Bender, who would come back to haunt the Argos a year later, played in 5 games while someone named Kevin Lowe played 3. Sterling Hinds also played 3 games but I don't think he played much at tailback as he was mostly returning kicks before suffering a devastating season-ending injury in Winnipeg early in the season.

Will
07-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Actually, the only 1,000 yard rusher in 1986 was Gary Allen for Calgary who had 1,153. Yes, a lot of the other teams seemed to have smaller rushing totals, but the Argonauts were still the lowest.

paulwoods13
07-30-2014, 09:12 PM
William Miller who previously had success in Winnipeg was briefly in the mix in 1986 but didn't do much in Toronto as well.

IMO Obie contributed to the loss in the 1986 Eastern Final by futzing around too much with his running backs. He alternated between Miller and Minter down the stretch. I seem to recall Minter had a good game against Montreal in either Game 17 or Game 18, then was not used in the two playoff games, or maybe used only in the first game.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 11:59 PM
IMO Obie contributed to the loss in the 1986 Eastern Final by futzing around too much with his running backs. He alternated between Miller and Minter down the stretch. I seem to recall Minter had a good game against Montreal in either Game 17 or Game 18, then was not used in the two playoff games, or maybe used only in the first game.

You will remember, Paul, that Craig Ellis played well as the Argos' starting tailback until Minter returned from the NFL. At that point, Obie released Ellis. Obie loved shuffling his lineup around and sometimes, like when he inserted Emanuel Tolbert for Scott McGhee in the '82 Grey Cup, it worked and many times it did not.

Man, my memory is failing fast, Ravi! Mind you, that whole season was pretty forgettable (and I have very few games from then on video).

I was just watching some clips from that '85 season and looking online at what had happened that season (re: game results). Holloway was injured in the Hamilton game and Casale came off the bench and played well to help the Argos win but Casale's first start the next week against B.C. was ugly as the Argos were thrashed at home 43-18. The Esks then paid a visit the following week and nobody expected the Argos to win that one. Casale actually put together a decent drive early in this game which you can see below:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DVq-B8KN-nU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Argo57
07-31-2014, 06:26 PM
You will remember, Paul, that Craig Ellis played well as the Argos' starting tailback until Minter returned from the NFL. At that point, Obie released Ellis. Obie loved shuffling his lineup around and sometimes, like when he inserted Emanuel Tolbert for Scott McGhee in the '82 Grey Cup, it worked and many times it did not.

I couldn't figure out some of OB's moves back then, Minter was a different player when he returned from the Jets, Ellis was indeed playing well.
Minter was physically heavier and slower after his NFL stay.

I was just watching some clips from that '85 season and looking online at what had happened that season (re: game results). Holloway was injured in the Hamilton game and Casale came off the bench and played well to help the Argos win but Casale's first start the next week against B.C. was ugly as the Argos were thrashed at home 43-18. The Esks then paid a visit the following week and nobody expected the Argos to win that one. Casale actually put together a decent drive early in this game which you can see below:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DVq-B8KN-nU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great to hear Pat Marsden and Leif Peterson again, forget how good they were together!!!

ArgoRavi
08-04-2014, 02:06 AM
The last of eight consecutive home victories against the Esks when they truly were the Evil Empire. Good times!

Dunigan mentioned his troubles at old Exhibition Stadium the other night during the broadcast of the B.C./Calgary game but he writes about them again for those who missed that here: http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/matt_dunigan/?id=458643

doubleblue
08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
That '97 East Final does not get talked about enough. It truly was a classic game and one that should be airing regularly on ESPN Classics but doesn't for some reason. I actually have that game on VHS but no longer have a VCR. I guess that one of these days I will have to figure out how to convert it to DVD. That game happened to be the final CFL game that Don Wittman ever called.

I was just finishing my pre game meal in Windows Resturant when PinBall took that opening kickoff. It was a classic Final IMO. I don't remember the crowd total that day but I believe it was around 40,000. But the crowds back then in the regular season weren't all that good just like today. I actually had a VHS of that game and a few others that I gave to a Flutie buff in Boston a few years back. I too hope CFL Classics play that game again sometime and I could PVR it now.

paulwoods13
08-05-2014, 09:00 AM
I was just finishing my pre game meal in Windows Resturant when PinBall took that opening kickoff. It was a classic Final IMO. I don't remember the crowd total that day but I believe it was around 40,000. But the crowds back then in the regular season weren't all that good just like today. I actually had a VHS of that game and a few others that I gave to a Flutie buff in Boston a few years back. I too hope CFL Classics play that game again sometime and I could PVR it now.

Pinball's opening KO return was in 1996. The 1997 game was the one the Argos won on a very late Pinball TD catch and run after trailing Montreal most of the game. I doubt we'll see either game on ESPNC because the only broadcasts that exist are CBC and they are no longer in business with the CFL. I know we have seen some CBC broadcasts on ESPNC but I think those may be games that were also broadcast in the U.S.

Will
08-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Pinball's KO return was the first play of the 1996 final which ended up being a romp for the Argonauts. The 1996 game drew a disappointing 28,390 to SkyDome and the 1997 game drew 32,085.

ArgoRavi
08-05-2014, 01:25 PM
The 1997 game was the one the Argos won on a very late Pinball TD catch and run after trailing Montreal most of the game.

I am not sure that the Argos ever trailed in the '97 game, Paul. The Argos were up 20-9 at the half and the Als stormed back in the second half and had a few opportunities to take the lead on Terry Baker field goal attempts but I don't think that they ever did. Baker, as I recall, missed three field goal attempts in the fourth quarter of that game.

I doubt we'll see either game on ESPNC because the only broadcasts that exist are CBC and they are no longer in business with the CFL. I know we have seen some CBC broadcasts on ESPNC but I think those may be games that were also broadcast in the U.S.

That is a real shame. I have been waiting since ESPN Classic Canada was created for their CFL offerings to improve and they haven't improved much over the last 14 years which has been a disappointment. I guess that we will have to do with this short clip from YouTube which was Don Wittman's final game as a football play-by-play commentator (David Archer did the colour commentary that day): <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KdABhYsm5Pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
The Argos did trail in the 1997 game. The Argos were up 20-9 at halftime, but a 2-yard TD by Mike Pringle and a 70-yard punt return TD by Chris Wright gave the Alouettes a 23-20 lead. Mike Vanderjagt tied it with a 33-yard field goal before Jock Climie made it 30-23 with a 18-yard touchdown catch from Tracy Ham. That set the stage for a Robert Drummond TD followed by the famous Flutie to Pinball 58-yarder.

ArgoRavi
08-05-2014, 02:49 PM
The Argos did trail in the 1997 game. The Argos were up 20-9 at halftime, but a 2-yard TD by Mike Pringle and a 70-yard punt return TD by Chris Wright gave the Alouettes a 23-20 lead. Mike Vanderjagt tied it with a 33-yard field goal before Jock Climie made it 30-23 with a 18-yard touchdown catch from Tracy Ham. That set the stage for a Robert Drummond TD followed by the famous Flutie to Pinball 58-yarder.

It is amazing how little of the details of that game I remember although I recall it being a classic and have never forgotten the dramatic ending. I remember being on the edge of my seat through the fourth quarter.

paulwoods13
08-05-2014, 03:00 PM
I am not sure that the Argos ever trailed in the '97 game, Paul. The Argos were up 20-9 at the half and the Als stormed back in the second half and had a few opportunities to take the lead on Terry Baker field goal attempts but I don't think that they ever did. Baker, as I recall, missed three field goal attempts in the fourth quarter of that game.

I recently digitized that game (and will eventually post it on YouTube), so I was able to go back and check. The Alouettes led 30-23 on a Climie TD on the final play of the third quarter.

That is a real shame. I have been waiting since ESPN Classic Canada was created for their CFL offerings to improve and they haven't improved much over the last 14 years which has been a disappointment. I guess that we will have to do with this short clip from YouTube which was Don Wittman's final game as a football play-by-play commentator (David Archer did the colour commentary that day):

As I said above, I will eventually post the game on YT. Just don't have time these days to get all the stuff I have posted, but it will happen at some point. I think another problem for ESPNC is the fact that virtually all of its content is in low-def. Who wants to watch grainy old games in 4x3 format on super-sharp wide-screen TVs? That said, I'd resubscribe if they had a decent bunch of CFL offerings but it always seems to be B.C.-Ottawa from 1988 (figuratively, but also somewhat literally).

ArgoZ
08-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I recently digitized that game (and will eventually post it on YouTube), so I was able to go back and check. The Alouettes led 30-23 on a Climie TD on the final play of the third quarter.

As I said above, I will eventually post the game on YT. Just don't have time these days to get all the stuff I have posted, but it will happen at some point. I think another problem for ESPNC is the fact that virtually all of its content is in low-def. Who wants to watch grainy old games in 4x3 format on super-sharp wide-screen TVs? That said, I'd resubscribe if they had a decent bunch of CFL offerings but it always seems to be B.C.-Ottawa from 1988 (figuratively, but also somewhat literally).

Can't wait to watch it Paul! Your fans are waiting. I have the 96 and 97 "Flutieball" VHS videos which recap the games nicely.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8