PDA

View Full Version : Als Release Byron Parker. Do we have interest?

ArgoGabe22
01-31-2014, 01:16 PM
Byron Parker has been released by the Als according to RDS and his twitter account. He wasn't apart of Jones' plans but does he fit in Burkes? Do we take a stab at a former fan favourite? I wouldn't mind seeing him back but I do wonder what his salary expectations are.

AngeloV
01-31-2014, 01:23 PM
I would like to see it. He can still be dangerous on that field side corner.

doubleblue
01-31-2014, 01:55 PM
If the CFL still had the rule where import players could become non-import after 5 years he would be a good candidate for that at the right price otherwise probably not. I always thought Byron would make a good safety in his final years similar to Jordan Younger. He has always had great closing speed which would result in a good number of INT's IMO at the safety position.

ArgoRavi
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
It will depend, in part, on how he fits Burke's defence. He has been released twice in two years by two different teams though, is a bit older and had injury issues in Montreal so there have to be some concerns about him.

eiben35
01-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately Byron isn't half the player he was when he left the Argos to try out for the Philadelphia Eagles. I would not bring him back.

Argocister
01-31-2014, 07:39 PM
What about as a coach? .... seeing that we are needing some on the defensive side.

jerrym
02-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Byron will be 33 before the start of the season and the thread wear is clearly visible. As much as I loved Bryon in his early days as an Argo, IMO it would be a mistake to bring him back at this stage in his career.

AngeloV
02-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I still say there is no harm in bringing him in for a look. If someone is better, he won't make it.

OV Argo
02-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I still say there is no harm in bringing him in for a look. If someone is better, he won't make it.

Exactly AV - no harm if you can just cut the guy in TC; all that experience - wonder if he would make a very good CFL safety now - with those ball hawk skills, plus he can hit with some pop ?

ArgoGabe22
02-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I still wouldn't mind signing him and seeing how he does. I think moving him to Safety would be a good fit but then Gabriel would have be moved.

General manager and head coach Jim Popp offered Parker the opportunity to retire, but the nine-year veteran still believes there’s a place for him in the league. He spent most of his career at Toronto and also played six games at Edmonton. Should Parker resurface, he would be with his fourth team in as many seasons.
“I’m going to be patient. Free agency’s coming. A lot of teams are doing a lot of things. A lot of teams are getting new co-ordinators and coaches,” said Parker, who earned a base salary of $85,000 last season. “It’s a waiting game for me. If I get a call today ... If I get a call in February ... or don’t get a call until May. You never know, I might not get a call at all. I’m prepared for that.

OV Argo
02-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I still wouldn't mind signing him and seeing how he does. I think moving him to Safety would be a good fit but then Gabriel would have be moved.

Gabriel would not "have" to be moved anywhere; it could be a TC competition between the young guy and a vet like Parker; if Gabriel wins out as the starter, then maybe Parker gets cut (i think he could make a pretty decent DI extra DB - could play in certain packages or as an injury replacement anywhere in the secondary); if Byron wins the job / shows he can be an impact safety, then Gabriel could be the young understudy still learning and the future starting safety, plus play STs and maybe also in certain extra DB packages.

Again - no harm in bringing him for a TC look; unless the Argo braintrust do not see him as a good vet presence for the team.

Argocister
02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Does Parker get along with O'Shea? Perhaps he feels he may be able to help out with the Bombers.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8