PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in Montreal?

ArgoRavi
02-04-2014, 12:38 PM
It is February and they still don't have a head coach or offensive coordinator (it doesn't appear as though either Doug Berry or Mike Miller are returning). If this was the case with the Argos, this forum would be freaking out. What is going on in Montreal? Who can they possibly get to coach that team at this late date?

ArgoGabe22
02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
It is February and they still don't have a head coach or offensive coordinator (it doesn't appear as though either Doug Berry or Mike Miller are returning). If this was the case with the Argos, this forum would be freaking out. What is going on in Montreal? Who can they possibly get to coach that team at this late date?

Herb Z. reported that Popp may keep the dual role but then afterwards he reported that two NFL teams are interested in Popp's services.

Argocister
02-05-2014, 12:44 AM
What I've read .... Sorry can't remember where..... Popp is not leaving the ALS, and is more than likely keeping the dual role , GM-HC. Now the OC position is still up for grabs.

294life
02-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Seems that Jim will remain in his dual role. The question is did he accept Wetenhall's 4 year GM plan in exchange.

paulwoods13
02-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Some interesting comments from Shea Emry here: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Zurkowsky+wasn+about+money+Emry+says/9510546/story.html

OV Argo
02-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Popp staying on as Als HC is good news for OTHER CFL teams IMO; he is clueless as a HC; and IMO he used to be a very good CFL GM - at finding talent for the Als - lots of good new import players and did very well in the draft (and hung on to/ traded for lots of draft picks); but he seems to have slipped in that role too IMO - maybe his focus is more on finding an NFL gig now?

Thought he had another Trestman last year but that didn't work out too well; AC now gone and so he's going to rely on the ex-Heismann winner as the new QB - we shall see how that works out>

Als had their time as the big Kahuna in the East for a good number of years; that time is now over IMO, and my guess is they will not be a 500 team with Popp as HC and no AC at QB. Lucky for them they only have the iffy new Ottawa team to deal with in terms of making the play-offs now in the East.

OV's bold early pre-season 2014 predictions for the East:

Argos 11-7 (that's counting on Burke to put together a solid D)

Pussycats 9-9 (could be better if Collaros lights it up as a starter)

Als 6-12 (could be worse)

Ottawa 2-16 (could be worse)

D-Gap-Willie
02-16-2014, 01:38 AM
I hope that you are wrong OV for the sake of the league. Your prediction would mean that the Weat would have a 16 win advantage over the East for the season - yes, I know that they have one more team than the East, but such a large imbalance would not be good for attendance or television ratings IMO.

paulwoods13
02-16-2014, 08:54 AM
I see the East more like this (albeit a VERY early forecast):

Toronto 12-6
Hamilton 11-7
Montreal 8-10
Ottawa 5-13

Argo57
02-16-2014, 09:45 AM
I see the East more like this (albeit a VERY early forecast):

Toronto 12-6
Hamilton 11-7
Montreal 8-10
Ottawa 5-13

I see Ottawa and Montreal finishing with similar records, Redblacks won't be as bad as many think.
Flip a coin between Hamilton and Toronto the difference being Ricky (if healthy)!

OV Argo
02-16-2014, 10:37 AM
I hope that you are wrong OV for the sake of the league. Your prediction would mean that the Weat would have a 16 win advantage over the East for the season - yes, I know that they have one more team than the East, but such a large imbalance would not be good for attendance or television ratings IMO.

Yeah, but - an expansion team in there in the East skews things; can't see Ottawa winning more than a few games, but you never know; who is going to lose to them?

ArgoRavi
02-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah, but - an expansion team in there in the East skews things; can't see Ottawa winning more than a few games, but you never know; who is going to lose to them?

Winnipeg is one team that will lose at least once to the Redblacks. I am not high on the Bombers, especially with Bellefeuille and Etcheverry as their coordinators.

OV Argo
02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Winnipeg is one team that will lose at least once to the Redblacks. I am not high on the Bombers, especially with Bellefeuille and Etcheverry as their coordinators.

Not big on B & E for the Bombers myself either Ravi; however they do have plenty of CFL experience - look at the Ottawa coaching staff (very inexperienced and unproven); their roster is very lacking too IMO (could have done much better in the expansion draft and free agency IMO); maybe Blank Burris plays lights out for them and they win a good number of games though; I'd be tempted to bet they don't win a single game, but probably a couple of other CFL teams will be due for stinker games against Ottawa.

AngeloV
02-17-2014, 12:09 PM
I don't know. I don't think an expansion team from a dispersal draft has ever had the type of QB Ottawa does in Burris. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 7 or 8 games.

ArgoRavi
02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
I would also disagree with OV's assertion about Ottawa's coaching staff being less experienced than Winnipeg's. Looking at Ottawa's staff, both Mike Gibson and Mark Nelson have been coordinators and not bad ones either previously while Rick Campbell has been a coach far longer than Mike O'Shea has. They also have the likes of Marcus Crandell, Ike Charlton, Travis Moore and Leroy Blugh on their staff who all know their way around the Canadian game.

Neely2005
02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Some interesting comments from Shea Emry here: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Zurkowsky+wasn+about+money+Emry+says/9510546/story.html

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

OV Argo
02-18-2014, 06:52 PM
I would also disagree with OV's assertion about Ottawa's coaching staff being less experienced than Winnipeg's. Looking at Ottawa's staff, both Mike Gibson and Mark Nelson have been coordinators and not bad ones either previously while Rick Campbell has been a coach far longer than Mike O'Shea has. They also have the likes of Marcus Crandell, Ike Charlton, Travis Moore and Leroy Blugh on their staff who all know their way around the Canadian game.

Interesting - though I don't know if Winnipeg have named their full coaching staff yet.

Campbell & O'Shea are both rookies as HCs and interesting that both of their main coaching experience is in special teams; O'Shea of course was a long-time player in the CFL who was part of 3 GC winning teams and played under some very experienced and winning coaches - and hopefully, for him and the Bombers, he learned a thing or two in terms of football smarts & leadership from the likes of The Don Matthews, Pinball Clemons, Rich Stubler, etc.

Ottawa has some vet coaches in Gibson & Nelson and Leroy Blugh was a good late addition to give them some more Canadian content/knowledge; guys like Crandell, Charlton, Moore are former CFL players with very limited coaching experience and of course they are Americans like most of the staff there. We'll see - with a number of veteran Canadian football people in Wade Miller, Walters, Goveia helping to direct the Bombers - maybe they will hand most of their coaching jobs to a bunch of ex-players and other inexperienced coaches who are Americans / or maybe not - the Bombers already do have veteran Canadian football guys in Bellefuille, Pat Tracey and Markus Howell on their coaching staff.

ArgoGabe22
02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Here's a surprise - Tom Higgins will be the next HC of the Als. I knew he wanted to get back into coaching but wasn't expecting it to with Montreal.

294life
02-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Here's a surprise - Tom Higgins will be the next HC of the Als. I knew he wanted to get back into coaching but wasn't expecting it to with Montreal.

I thought of him but that was quite a while ago. didn't think he was still in the cards. looks like the end is nigh for jim

ArgoRavi
02-24-2014, 05:45 PM

From what I have read, it seems like Wetenhall and Popp could not come to a new contract agreement where Popp would be both GM and head coach. Popp still has a year left on his GM contract. I never got the impression that Wetenhall was crazy about Popp coaching the team. Anyway, Higgins is sort of caught in the middle but if anyone can navigate that successfully it may be him.

argonaut11xx
02-24-2014, 09:27 PM
WOW....Tom Higgins was an average coach at best during his tenure with the Eskimo's, and this looks like a "hold the fort" move for the Al's.

My biggest worry is a dip in attendance in MTL, and if that happens does Dr Wettanhall hang in ?(he's an old dude, what would motivate him to stay?)

The years where the Argo's and Al's were on shakey ground in the past really stunk...but with the NFL threat looming in Toronto, this may be a bigger issue than most think.

Ive always been worried that when AC was gone, how steady would the AL's franchise be?...

ArgoRavi
02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
WOW....Tom Higgins was an average coach at best during his tenure with the Eskimo's, and this looks like a "hold the fort" move for the Al's.

I would put Higgins into the "above average" category as a head coach. He did coach the Esks to the Grey Cup game in both '02 and '03 with a win in the second year. He also took over a mess in Calgary in '05 and coached a team that was consistently good during his three years there although they did slip slightly in '07. Montreal could do worse - and did a year ago - for a head coach.

argonaut11xx
02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
I would put Higgins into the "above average" category as a head coach. He did coach the Esks to the Grey Cup game in both '02 and '03 with a win in the second year. He also took over a mess in Calgary in '05 and coached a team that was consistently good during his three years there although they did slip slightly in '07. Montreal could do worse - and did a year ago - for a head coach.

Cant argue with the stats, however i always found him "uninspiring", which is what you get when a referee is a coach, or vice versa.

I want the MTL franchise to flourish, it should be able to sell out every game, as it did in the 20,002 seat stadium for many many years, it was only upped about 5000 seats, and sadly it hasnt been sold out.

(a crowd, attracts a crowd, especially in MTL)

Argo57
02-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Cant argue with the stats, however i always found him "uninspiring", which is what you get when a referee is a coach, or vice versa.

I want the MTL franchise to flourish, it should be able to sell out every game, as it did in the 20,002 seat stadium for many many years, it was only upped about 5000 seats, and sadly it hasnt been sold out.

(a crowd, attracts a crowd, especially in MTL)

I think Higgins is a pretty solid hire with a proven track record unlike the Alouettes debacle of a hire last year.

AngeloV
02-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Uninspiring in what way? Have you ever seen him run practice or team meetings? I don't get how you can find him that way.

As for the referee thing, I don't believe Higgins was ever a referee. He's been a player, a coach and part of a management team and league director of officiating.

Looks like a very solid choice to me. I have a lot of respect for him. Very classy person.

argonaut11xx
02-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Uninspiring in what way? Have you ever seen him run practice or team meetings? I don't get how you can find him that way.

As for the referee thing, I don't believe Higgins was ever a referee. He's been a player, a coach and part of a management team and league director of officiating.

Looks like a very solid choice to me. I have a lot of respect for him. Very classy person.

If i owned a team, i'd go with a "Don Matthews type", rather than the professor type...just my preference.

Was never a fan of Higgins as a coach, but never said he wasnt a "classy person".

In hindsite, going from Trestman to Higgins would have made more sense, as they seem to be cut from the same mold.

Argo57
02-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Another pretty decent move today as the Alouettes obtain Larry Taylor from Calgary for draft picks.

AngeloV
02-25-2014, 07:50 PM
If i owned a team, i'd go with a "Don Matthews type", rather than the professor type...just my preference.

Are there any "Don Matthews types" other than Don himself that have had any success as head coaches in the CFL? Don was a one of a kind. You won't find another like him, IMO. Guys like Buono, Hufnagel, Austin and Trestman have had plenty of success without the Don act.

Argocister
02-26-2014, 08:24 AM
On a Dave Naylor tweet, he said it will be interesting to see the three of them work together .... Wetenhall, Popp and Higgins.

I am not up on any history here .... are they all strong headed? have they had conflicts before? .... I'm thinking the conflict he is expecting is Higgins and Popp

It will be interesting to see how the fanbase in Montreal holds out on a re-building team. There were quite a few fans I would run into that were waiting for AC to retire. ..... as in wanting it sooner than later. It will also be interesting to see when (and if) AC returns in the coaching dept.

ArgoRavi
02-26-2014, 10:51 AM
On a Dave Naylor tweet, he said it will be interesting to see the three of them work together .... Wetenhall, Popp and Higgins.

I am not up on any history here .... are they all strong headed? have they had conflicts before? .... I'm thinking the conflict he is expecting is Higgins and Popp.

I think that they will work together fine because of Higgins' personality. He does not seem like the "strong-headed" type to me. I am not sure how well this situation would work with anyone other than Higgins but I do think he is the right guy for this situation.

D-Gap-Willie
02-27-2014, 08:32 AM
I believe that Higgins may be just right for the Als. They have been dispalaying many signs of instability over the last few years. both on and off the field. Higgins may not be gung ho and inspirational, but he is as steady as a rock and well above average. Wettenhall may have made the right choice for a change - certainly better than the Lalonde and Hawkins decisions.

I can't wait for the first time Higgins throws his challenge flag !

argonaut11xx
03-07-2014, 01:40 PM
"Popp has said Smith is the frontrunner, but Worman said the decision on the opening game starter will be made after camp and the team's two pre-season games. They also have former Winnipeg quarterback Alex Brink in the mix.
"Everyone's going to get lots of reps, so it's not important at this time to say who is and who isn't (the starter)," said Worman. "If that's what Jim wanted to say, that's fine, but it doesn't matter to me."

WOW....an assistant coach challenging the GM in public?.....is there a power struggle here already?

ArgoRavi
03-07-2014, 03:12 PM
"Popp has said Smith is the frontrunner, but Worman said the decision on the opening game starter will be made after camp and the team's two pre-season games. They also have former Winnipeg quarterback Alex Brink in the mix.
"Everyone's going to get lots of reps, so it's not important at this time to say who is and who isn't (the starter)," said Worman. "If that's what Jim wanted to say, that's fine, but it doesn't matter to me."

WOW....an assistant coach challenging the GM in public?.....is there a power struggle here already?

LOL, that quote caught my eye as well. Worman has been a successful offensive coordinator in his two CFL stops but has not lasted long at either one of them. I suspect that he can be abrasive and difficult to get along with given his short tenures.

paulwoods13
03-07-2014, 04:47 PM
There are reports that Popp has hired a lawyer, but he reportedly claimed he always does so when he's negotiating a new contract.

OV Argo
03-07-2014, 11:25 PM
There are reports that Popp has hired a lawyer, but he reportedly claimed he always does so when he's negotiating a new contract.

IMO - Bobby Wetandall and the Als might be wise to cut ties with Popp - who IMO was ONCE a very good CFL GM (smart at drafting and bringing in good import talent), but lately not so much; he is clueless as a HC and if he is going to not get along with or else interfere with Higgins, that is not a good thing for the Als. Popp has maybe lost some CFL interest in his bent on securing an NFL gig over the past few years, and if he is not with the program in Montreal now = see ya pal, you had your CFL days and time to move on. Higgins i guess could hold the fort for now and surround himself with some good new coaches and football thinkers.

294life
05-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Als have announced that Calvillo's number 13 will be retired next October 13 vs ssk while Marc Trestman will make his return to the cfl to be honored at the July 11 game against Winnipeg.

AngeloV
05-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Als have announced that Calvillo's number 13 will be retired next October 13 vs ssk while Marc Trestman will make his return to the cfl to be honored at the July 11 game against Winnipeg.

Very nice. Both well deserving of any honours they receive.

Argo57
05-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Nice touch by the Alouettes.
Two class acts that deserve the honour!!!!

argonaut11xx
08-27-2014, 11:06 PM

WOW....once again Angelo V is 100% correct.....the results prove it

AngeloV
08-27-2014, 11:13 PM
WOW....once again Angelo V is 100% correct.....the results prove it

Hey, I'm not too full of myself to admit I was wrong about Higgins. I generally like him as a person, so I guess I was pulling for him to do well.

argonaut11xx
08-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Hey, I'm not too full of myself to admit I was wrong about Higgins. I generally like him as a person, so I guess I was pulling for him to do well.

I must admit, i wanted MTL to do well also....

argolio
08-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Higgins does look lost, but maybe this had little chance of working out well after the owner hired him without telling the G.M. (not to mention Calvillo retiring).

294life
08-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Looks like we're gonna match your 18,000 tomorrow night. We have to go back to 1998 to have had such a low attendance at McGill except everything was way cheaper back then.

Argocister
08-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Looks like we're gonna match your 18,000 tomorrow night. We have to go back to 1998 to have had such a low attendance at McGill except everything was way cheaper back then.

Whoa.... That's not good. Ottawa fans have a chance to be like rider fans and fill the seats for the Rouge et Noir!

Mulder
08-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Whoa.... That's not good. Ottawa fans have a chance to be like rider fans and fill the seats for the Rouge et Noir!

Unfortunately we are heading to Coboconck tonight or else Jen and I would have been at this game.

argonaut11xx
09-14-2014, 08:36 PM
The way the Chicago Bears are playing, maybe Marc Trestman is coming back for 2015

7dj83r8f78t4alf8