PDA

View Full Version : Good Move Resigning Pottinger

Area 51
02-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Losing Picard was a major blow, but at least Toronto locked up one of their NI FA's with Pottinger.

He may or may not be the starting MLB again, but Pottinger can always make a useful contribution on STs. Having 20 NIs that can contribute is just as important to winning in the CFL as it is to have a franchise QB.

I'm wondering why Toronto waited so long to resign him. Was Barker waiting as long as possible to see how the knee injury was healing? Maybe the poster with the handle "potts46" can offer some insight.

I still maintain he should have gone ahead with the surgery right away instead of trying to come back to what was by that point a lost season. There's a world of difference between rehabbing and regular training. Hopefully Pottinger can work his ass off to get ready and not miss too much of TC or the regular season.

Next step is to get Eiben resigned. Barker needs to realize that he needs to load up with NIs if this is going to be a championship season. Starting with Eiben and then hopefully adding at least one other NI FA. LaBatte and Fantuz might be a longshot at this point, but getting one of them would be a huge move on par with the trade for Ricky Ray.

Wobbler
02-15-2012, 11:41 PM
I agree. I'm happy to have him back in the mix, defending his 2011 spot in our 2012 LB corps. I didn't get a good read on how effective he was coming back from his injury, but that doesn't matter anyway - what matters is how effective he'll be this Summer.

Will
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Area 51;

In your individual report cards (defense) you both placed Pottinger and Eiben in the look to upgrade category. What made you change your mind on this?

Area 51
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Area 51;

In your individual report cards (defense) you both placed Pottinger and Eiben in the look to upgrade category. What made you change your mind on this?

Here's the evaluations:

Jason Pottinger – Look for an upgrade. Showed a lot of heart coming back to play on a torn knee, but I don’t think it was a good decision. Instead rehabbing to be ready for the start of 2012, he put his recovery timeline way back. This is a brutal business, and I don’t know how willing the Argos or any other team will be to pay top dollar for damaged goods. Very similar to Eiben – great for ST and NI depth, but not the athlete you need at MLB.

Kevin Eiben – Look for an upgrade. Valuable NI depth, but I don’t know if he still has the ability to have much impact as a starting LB. Good for special teams and possibly situational substitutions, but not so much for starting anymore on defence.

These guys are critical for NI ratios and ST contributions. But as starting LBs? There's room for improvement.

If you had a choice, who would you start - - Pottinger or Elimimian? Eiben or Jamal Johnson? And if you had a choice, who would you have on ST - - Pottinger or Brad Smith? Eiben or Unertyl? Upgrade in one position and then everybody bumps down on the depth chart. The result is a much stronger team on both fronts, defence and ST.

R.J
02-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Pottinger on TSN 1050 Gamenight. http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Jason%20Pottinger%20%28fixed%29.mp3

7dj83r8f78t4alf8