PDA

View Full Version : Pass interference challenge: open for discussion

Argocister
03-18-2014, 11:13 PM
So I would like to hear some comments on this possible rule change.
I can see some advantages and some disadvantages..... But never having played or coached, I was wondering what others would comment.

http://cfl.ca/article/open-for-discussion-cfl-rules-committee-table-changes

ArgoRavi
03-19-2014, 12:45 AM
So I would like to hear some comments on this possible rule change.
I can see some advantages and some disadvantages..... But never having played or coached, I was wondering what others would comment.

http://cfl.ca/article/open-for-discussion-cfl-rules-committee-table-changes

My initial impulse would be to say no to having judgment calls subjected to review but after thinking about it further, it may not be a bad idea. This is the one proposed rule change I especially like and hope is adopted: "Allowing offenses to further dictate the pace of play by no longer requiring the Head Referee to hold the 20 second clock for the defense to substitute."

That rule change would get us back to a faster pace of game which the Canadian game should be. It would certainly provide the offences with another advantage too. I suspect that the likes of dinosaur Wally Buono would not approve of this however.

paulwoods13
03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
This is the one proposed rule change I especially like and hope is adopted: "Allowing offenses to further dictate the pace of play by no longer requiring the Head Referee to hold the 20 second clock for the defense to substitute."

That rule change would get us back to a faster pace of game which the Canadian game should be. It would certainly provide the offences with another advantage too. I suspect that the likes of dinosaur Wally Buono would not approve of this however.

Yes, this is long overdue and I am really hoping it gets approved. The impact will be two-fold: 1. Defences won't be as readily equipped to stop offences, and 2. With the 20-second clock starting sooner during real clock time, there will be more offensive plays per game. The latter has declined appreciably since the clock timing rules were changed.

ArgoRavi
03-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Yes, this is long overdue and I am really hoping it gets approved. The impact will be two-fold: 1. Defences won't be as readily equipped to stop offences, and 2. With the 20-second clock starting sooner during real clock time, there will be more offensive plays per game. The latter has declined appreciably since the clock timing rules were changed.

Rather surprisingly IMO, this rule was approved by the rules committee along with a number of other proposed changes: http://www.cfl.ca/article/video-review-of-pi-gets-one-step-closer

I really did not expect to see either the QBs having their own footballs or the centre being allowed to bob their head rules being approved. I would expect the BOG to simply rubber stamp any of these proposed changes as that is what they usually do.

Wobbler
03-22-2014, 12:22 AM
The "own ball" rule is surprising to me, but I guess QBs must have been asking for it.

I'm happy to see all of these (likely-to-be) implemented. These sorts of experiments are interesting, and they can all be rescinded next year if proven counterproductive.

doubleblue
03-23-2014, 12:01 PM
The "own ball" rule is surprising to me, but I guess QBs must have been asking for it.

I'm happy to see all of these (likely-to-be) implemented. These sorts of experiments are interesting, and they can all be rescinded next year if proven counterproductive.

That one of QB's having "their own ball" is a new one. I guess it isn't that big a deal except for the QB's of course. On the PI rule? I would be ok with a Coach being allowed one review per game. Otherwise there would be a yellow flag on just about every close covered passing play.

paulwoods13
03-23-2014, 12:56 PM
NFL QBs (and possibly kickers as well) have been able to choose their own footballs for some time. It makes sense to ensure they are as comfortable as possible with the ball they're throwing.

ArgoRavi
05-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Yes, this is long overdue and I am really hoping it gets approved. The impact will be two-fold: 1. Defences won't be as readily equipped to stop offences, and 2. With the 20-second clock starting sooner during real clock time, there will be more offensive plays per game. The latter has declined appreciably since the clock timing rules were changed. Glen Johnson makes similar arguments to yours, Paul: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Proposed+rule+changes+target+sportsmanship+safety/9794548/story.html

7dj83r8f78t4alf8