View Full Version : OV's 2014 CFL draft board team

OV Argo
03-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Been posting such an all-draft board team on various CFL fan forums the past few years - hope you guys don't mind me putting it up here. Not meant to be a predictor of CFL draft order/preference; but more of an all-star team of draftable players in the various position groups. Based mostly on college ball play: stats, all-star recognition (and sometimes on having seen some of these guys play or from reading commentator views on their on field play), plus factoring in CFL Combine tests and measureables and reviews from there.

QB - N/A

RB - Anthony Coombs (Manitoba)

Receiver - Devon Bailey (St, FX), Alexander Fox (Bishops), Kris Bastien (Concordia), Evan Pszczonak (Windsor), Alex Pierzchalski (U of T)

O-Line - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (McGill), Pierre Lavertu (Laval), Maathias Goosen (SFU), Terry Hart (St. FX), David Foucault (Montreal)

DT - Evan Gill (Manitoba), Quinn Smith (Concordia)

DE - Dylan Ainsworth (Western), David Menard (Montreal)

LB - Max Caron (Concordia). Casey Chin (SFU), Beau Landry (Western)

DB - Antoine Pruneau (Montreal), Andrew Lue (Queens), Derek Jones (SFU), Eric Black (Saint Mary`s), Adam Thibault (Laval)

Kicker - Tyler Crapigna (McMaster), Johnny Mark (Calgary)

Argocister
03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Shucks OV .... I thought you were creating a team to help the Argos pick in the CFL draft! Aww well maybe another day....

Anyway, can't argue much with your team... what about Briggs? I'm thinking him over Landry. At the moment, it seems Briggs wants it more. I know Western products are very good, but for those in the Q that want to work, I think they have an edge as during the season they play tough teams. ... let me add more frequently
At the moment that would be my only replacement.

some info according to Rids..... http://ridleyscouting.com/CFLDraft.html

Nice video ..... http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/95191

OV Argo
03-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Shucks OV .... I thought you were creating a team to help the Argos pick in the CFL draft! Aww well maybe another day....

Anyway, can't argue much with your team... what about Briggs? I'm thinking him over Landry. At the moment, it seems Briggs wants it more. I know Western products are very good, but for those in the Q that want to work, I think they have an edge as during the season they play tough teams. ... let me add more frequently
At the moment that would be my only replacement.

some info according to Rids..... http://ridleyscouting.com/CFLDraft.html

Nice video ..... http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/95191

Yeah - Briggs put up just an outstanding set of testing numbers at the Combine, and he must have jumped up the rankings quite a bit; and he was a solid LB in the Q, though nothing special in terms of stats and didn`t make any Q all-star teams; I`m just not that big on rating players highly mostly on testing numbers, and Landry has shown good on field play at Western. Adam Thibault is another guy getting rated very high - based mostly on testing numbers IMO - he couldn`t hold the starting safety job at Laval last season and doesn`t have much DB experience - there might be some other better DBs who could be on this `team`over him.

Argocister
03-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Thibeault stated that he played defence in CEGEP and high school. He switched to receiver at Laval. Mind you, that doesn't put him first on the list, but he has had some experience. As to starting at Laval.... Constantin places high importance on seniority and working hard for your position. Just because you want to play that position doesn't mean you will get it. There was no way
Thibeault would supplant those that worked in that position for 4-5 years. It is Laval, where depth at every position is the envy of other teams. I think he was lucky to get some playing time on the D. He did show some good football instincts at the
East-West bowl last year on defence.

KCargosfan
04-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Who would everyone take with our first pick?

ArgoGabe22
04-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Gill or Coombs if available. The CFL draft is a surprise, I remember WPG went off the board last year with Pencer.

OV Argo
04-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Gill or Coombs if available. The CFL draft is a surprise, I remember WPG went off the board last year with Pencer.

Pencer was in 2012; the Bombers got burned last year by using their 1st pick (2nd overall) on DE Andy Malumba - who ended up making the Packers and actually starting some for them at LB when they had injuries. And the Bombers 2nd pick (11th overall) - DB Kris Robertson ended up with a bad injury in TC (broken leg maybe?) - not sure if he is due back for them this TC?

They need to start doing better at the draft to upgrade their NI talent; for years, a clown like Taman routinely traded away a lot of top Bomber picks; and then they had the clueless Joe Mack in charge the past while. I'll bet with a bunch of veteran Canadian football people (guys like Wade Miller, Walters, O'Shea) running things now, they might do way better in the draft. They pick 2nd overall behind Ottawa and I'd bet they go for one of the top O-Lineman (Laval C Pierre Lavertu would be a great fit perhaps); might be nice for them to get a local product - like Gill or Coombs from the Bisons - too.

Not sure who I'm pulling for with regards to the Argo draft picks; I just hope they address defence - D-Line - both DT & DE needs, and maybe a safety prospect too.

OV Argo
04-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Argos currently hold a number of later round picks (#s 33, 36, 38, 42 i think); and sometimes some very good, but under-rated or unhearlded players can be had there. Score some good prospects there please (eg. Saint Mary's DE Romick - very good athletic tester at the Combine; maybe RB Rob Farquharson (Guelph) too).

Argocister
04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't think the Argos will take a RB .... They have Gillanders and Woodson for NI players. Although maybe they will plan to keep a couple of them and have a competition at TC.
My choice would be a couple of D linemen.... Gill, Ainsworth, Smith .... Which ever one they think is the best athlete. I think
Burke has had good success with NI defensive players. .... I could be wrong tho...

doubleblue
04-04-2014, 10:14 AM

My guess would be DT Gill. He is rated #6 and Lavertu, Goosen, Bailey, Fourcoult and Thibault would be my guess at players going in the first round top five.

Interestingly, I saw a NFL top 250 players rated for their draft and the only Canadian mentioned as likely to be drafted was Hamilton's pick from last year DT Urban. The McGill OT Laurent wasn't mentioned but I think he would get a FA contract. Two players who could be non-imports if they put in for it, WR Woods from Notre Dame was rated 3rd or 4th round, and the OG at Penn State was rated 6th or 7th round.

Argocister
04-05-2014, 12:50 AM
CFL Daily has a cool draft listing .... Interesting to see the list not only ranked overall but according to positions as well .

http://cfldaily.ca/2014/04/03/cfl-draft-ranking-the-top-eligible-players/

So I say
Smith as our first draft pick.

Rids
04-05-2014, 01:04 AM
I saw one NFL mock draft calling Laurent Duvernay-Tardif a Top 100 pick. Seems a little early but you never know when a player gets a little hype and teams get paranoid about who else knows about their hidden small school gem. Similar thing happened when Vaughn Martin was drafted a few years ago (2009?). San Diego was the only team really chasing hard but got spooked that Chicago was going to select him so he became a 4th round pick.

OV Argo
04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I saw one NFL mock draft calling Laurent Duvernay-Tardif a Top 100 pick. Seems a little early but you never know when a player gets a little hype and teams get paranoid about who else knows about their hidden small school gem. Similar thing happened when Vaughn Martin was drafted a few years ago (2009?). San Diego was the only team really chasing hard but got spooked that Chicago was going to select him so he became a 4th round pick.

Duvernay-Tardif - like Vaughn Martin - is one of those very impressive physical specimen / great athletic tester types that some NFL teams find irresistible - even though the player is coming from CIS ball - a level of football the NFL experts have little respect/ regard for. Goes way back to when the Rams used a first round pick on Mike Schad - O-Lineman out of Queens who had pro size and freakish testing #s; but it's becoming more common for some NFL teams to look at the odd CIS talent - Greenwood, Gaydosh, Stefan Charles as some other recent examples of guys who have the measureables or testing #s to attact some NFL interest.

Adam Thibault or David Foucault get invited to an NFL regional Combine, yet they've never made CIS all-star let alone a Q conference all-star team when it come to proven on field football play ? Some pro "scouts" are in love with the size, speed, testing #s method of scouting.

ArgoRavi
04-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Duvernay-Tardif - like Vaughn Martin - is one of those very impressive physical specimen / great athletic tester types that some NFL teams find irresistible - even though the player is coming from CIS ball - a level of football the NFL experts have little respect/ regard for. Goes way back to when the Rams used a first round pick on Mike Schad - O-Lineman out of Queens who had pro size and freakish testing #s; but it's becoming more common for some NFL teams to look at the odd CIS talent - Greenwood, Gaydosh, Stefan Charles as some other recent examples of guys who have the measureables or testing #s to attact some NFL interest.

Adam Thibault or David Foucault get invited to an NFL regional Combine, yet they've never made CIS all-star let alone a Q conference all-star team when it come to proven on field football play ? Some pro "scouts" are in love with the size, speed, testing #s method of scouting.

We can't underestimate the impact that expanded training camp rosters in the NFL has had either. NFL teams are willing to take a flyer on players that they wouldn't have given the time of day to a few years ago and the ones that they do take a chance on are the ones that have those awesome testing numbers.

OV Argo
04-05-2014, 08:46 PM
We can't underestimate the impact that expanded training camp rosters in the NFL has had either. NFL teams are willing to take a flyer on players that they wouldn't have given the time of day to a few years ago and the ones that they do take a chance on are the ones that have those awesome testing numbers.

Yeah Ravi - huge NFL TC rosters now; and no more NFL-Europe as a developmental league. Looking at some CIS guys, and a few more vet CFL stars.

I'm wondering if Quinn Smith - who shot-up the CFL rankings after the Combine - might get an NFL FA invite - 300+ DT who runs a 4.8 forty and 4.6 shuttle = oustanding #s there for a big guy and he put up 28 bench reps too. Linden Gaydosh got to try-out for the Panthers last year - injured in TC and on the IR all year, but heard they like his potential and he will be in TC for them again = big loss for the Ticats who took him 1st overall, plus their 2nd rounder Brent Urban (played both DT & DE in Div. I ball) is rated to get picked this coming NFL draft: quite the Canadian D-Line they might have had with those guys plus Bulcke and former CIS star DE Gascon-Nadon is with them too.

OV Argo
04-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Argos sign receiver Adjei (3rd rounder last year) - might mean they will not be thinking of going receiver (at least with an early pick) in the upcoming draft?

Wobbler
04-15-2014, 12:52 PM
I doubt that it changes anything. We certainly had to sign Adjei, but it's far from clear that he'll be a useful player.

paulwoods13
04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
I doubt that it changes anything. We certainly had to sign Adjei, but it's far from clear that he'll be a useful player.

Yeah, at this point I would have to rate him as a looonng longshot, based on his limited PT in college.

Argocister
04-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Here's another listing/ranking of the players in the draft. This one includes a ranking for 50 players.

http://cfldaily.ca/2014/04/15/cfl-draft-rankings-update-april-15-2014/

So if the Argos are 6 th ... And we follow Barkers line of best player available but skip LDT ( as he's heading to the NFL) we get Ainsworth. Sounds good to me.

Argocister
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Then again.... here's the latest order of draft eligible players from the CFL 's draft trackers.

Rank Name Position School
1 Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OL McGill
2 David Foucault OL Montreal
3 Pierre Lavertu OL Laval
4 Quinn Smith DL Concordia
5 Devon Bailey WR St. Francis Xavier
6 Evan Gill DL Manitoba
7 (Dylan Ainsworth DL Western
8 Anthony Coombs RB Manitoba
9 Matthias Goosen OL Simon Fraser
10 Andrew Lue LB Queen's
11 Adam Thibault DB Laval
12 Casey Chin LB Simon Fraser
13 David Menard DL Montreal
14 Antoine Pruneau DB Montreal
15 Beau Landry LB Western

So if we pick 6th and 15th ..... and assuming no one takes LDT in the first round. Going by strict order .... Ainsworth and Landry or LDT (as I assume Barker would take LDT at 15 if he was available.) Thoughts anyone?

Wobbler
04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure we would take Duvernay-Tardif at #15. We're quite deep at OL these days, and he could easily get a pretty long look in the NFL. Any team that drafts him will consider him raw (having "recently" converted from DT and playing Canadian rules) and will probably be patient.

Obviously it'll depend on who's still on the board at #15, and a hundred other factors...

OV Argo
04-22-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure we would take Duvernay-Tardif at #15. We're quite deep at OL these days, and he could easily get a pretty long look in the NFL. Any team that drafts him will consider him raw (having "recently" converted from DT and playing Canadian rules) and will probably be patient.

Obviously it'll depend on who's still on the board at #15, and a hundred other factors...

Yeah - I'd take a flyer on Duvernay-T in the later rounds if he was still available (Argos drafted Tim Biakabatuka in the 6th round of 96 - and of course he never showed cause he was playing in the NFL).

Love to see the Argos go D-Line with their first pick - if it can work out - Quinn Smith or Evan Gill at DT, or Ainsworth or Menard at DE; = area of need and one of those guys might be able to earn playing time this season, if not soon after.

I also don't put a lot of stock in that CFL prospects' list order. IMO - Foucault at #2 is a huge reach; and not sure Thibault should be in the top 15 - there are way more accomplished football players available.

Nob
04-23-2014, 01:15 AM
My question is why does the Top 15 prospects not have any Canadians playing in US schools? Surely there are some draft eligible players playing in the NCAA (there are kids drafted every year from the NCAA Div I or II). I know that the draft rules have changed to prevent drafting "futures", but still....

And I know that there are Simon Fraser players on the top 15. I've been to a few SFU games the past 2 years. Frankly I didn't think SFU were any better than a good OUA team. I was underwhelmed by SFU - they've been a pipeline to the CFL but they aren't that great.

I'd like to hear more about Canadian kids playing in the States.

1argoholic
04-23-2014, 07:26 AM
You know Barker we're sure to have a surprise pick or two of some Canadians playing in some little college in the US. As a matter of fact I do remember him saying he had his eyes on a young DL from The Punky Doodle State Pogos.
My friends wife has a nephew playing at a small college in Colorado. He's a huge OL who grew up just outside of Calgary. Wonder if kids like this are even on the CFL radar screen. Well he obviously needs to have some ability but I know squat about him.

Argocister
04-23-2014, 07:56 AM
My question is why does the Top 15 prospects not have any Canadians playing in US schools? Surely there are some draft eligible players playing in the NCAA (there are kids drafted every year from the NCAA Div I or II). I know that the draft rules have changed to prevent drafting "futures", but still....

Rids has a couple on his list but they haven't applied for non-import status for the CFL draft..... May not be interested I take.

http://ridleyscouting.com/CFLDraft.html

Wobbler
04-23-2014, 10:30 AM
It's not a particularly strong draft year over all, and as you pointed out, this is the first year where red-shirt juniors are ineligible (http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-adjusts-eligibility-rules-for-draft). The net result is a weak crop of NCAA non-imports.

OV Argo
04-23-2014, 07:26 PM

And I know that there are Simon Fraser players on the top 15. I've been to a few SFU games the past 2 years. Frankly I didn't think SFU were any better than a good OUA team. I was underwhelmed by SFU - they've been a pipeline to the CFL but they aren't that great.

There are next to no top notch, proven player NCAA Canadians (who played US college ball last season) available this draft - because of the CFL draft rule changes - a bunch of Redshirt Juniors (guys who became Seniors this past season) got taken in last year's draft and Redshirts not allowed to be taken this year = next to no guys who have finished their US college ball eligibility available this draft (they were all taken last year).

There will be some good US college ball Canadians - some Div. I ball starters - up in next year's (2015) CFL draft.

And speaking of Simon Fraser players - they have a receiver - Lemar Durant - a BC guy - who had a huge receiving season in 2012 but was injured or out a lot of last season. This guy is a big target and reportedly very fast; i believe he will be CFL draftable next year (spent a season in Div. I ball before SFU) - and maybe one of the top NI draftable receiver prospects in some time (and I'll bet he attracts some NFL interest).

KCargosfan
05-08-2014, 09:20 PM
OVA, who would you take with our pick?

OV Argo
05-08-2014, 10:18 PM
OVA, who would you take with our pick?

In guessing who would still be available at #6 (if that's what you mean -our first pick)? - a D player: one of - Quinn Smith or Evan Gill at DT; or Ainsworth at DE, or Antoine Pruneau (has been a CIS all-star as both a D-backfielder and OLB) - maybe could win starting S job or be a good back-up there or at OLB.

Wobbler
05-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't think using #6 on Quinn Smith would be good asset management (http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=451618), OV.

Argocister
05-09-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't think using #6 on Quinn Smith would be good asset management (http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=451618), OV.

Perhaps he may not go as high in the draft as once thought, but he won't be going back to the CIS. He would be suspended for his last 2 yrs .... There is now a 24 yr age limit.
Not having the choice to return may give him a positive in the draft.

OV Argo
05-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Oh, I dunno; Jim Barker seemed pretty sympathetic to the situation there; might affect his draft stock a bit I suppose; he won't be going back to CIS ball, and he's a big, athletic DT - a position not exactly full of stars or quality starters in CFL ball now, IMO. I'll guess he is still a first or at least a 2nd round CFL pick - and goes on to be an impact starter in the CFL, IF he goes to a team in need that gives him a real shot to play - that could be the Argos, but Edmonton looking to replace Laurent would make sense.

Wobbler
05-09-2014, 09:38 PM
I think he'll fall into the 4th round or later. Quinn wasn't particularly highly regarded until the combine, and those results are now highly questionable. Plus, he now has "character issues".

OV Argo
05-09-2014, 09:43 PM
I think he'll fall into the 4th round or later. Quinn wasn't particularly highly regarded until the combine, and those results are now highly questionable. Plus, he now has "character issues".

Not highly regarded by just who ? - I identified Smith as a very good CFL DT prospect last year - he was at the CIS East-West game and put up good testing #s there; he is a huge DT (CFL plus size) and a former Q conference all-star = he should have been way up on CFL radar by last year, but who know with CFL "scouting".

Argocister
05-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Here's an interesting analysis of our draft picks ...... http://www.riderprophet.com/2014/05/cfl-draft-2014-team-preview-toronto.html

I concur that a defensive lineman will be picked first this year.

Argo
05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Not highly regarded by just who ? - I identified Smith as a very good CFL DT prospect last year - he was at the CIS East-West game and put up good testing #s there; he is a huge DT (CFL plus size) and a former Q conference all-star = he should have been way up on CFL radar by last year, but who know with CFL "scouting".

IMO, depending upon the actual situation on draft day, Smith is well worth drafting.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Argos trade up for Edmonton's #3 draft choice and take Anthony Coombs, my first choice as an Argo pick. Love it!

Argocister
05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Argos trade up for Edmonton's #3 draft choice and take Anthony Coombs, my first choice as an Argo pick. Love it!
Gave up a lot ... But at least we still have a second round pick .
Sad that Washington is gone... The others better step up.

Wobbler
05-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Not a very accurate prediction on my part. Oh well.

Argo
05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Coombs rated 8th, and the Argos somewhat sacrificially trade up to, in effect, declare that this particular running back (albeit non-import) is Number 3.
At first glance, I don't see the wisdom in this trade+selection, and would be interested in hearing others' opinions on this subject.

Edit: Thinking more about it, it's justifiable, particularly in this draft I suppose. (We'll see how the Argonauts D performs soon enough.)

jerrym
05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Gave up a lot ... But at least we still have a second round pick .
Sad that Washington is gone... The others better step up.
The actual trade was for a third round draft choice.
The Edmonton Eskimos acquired Toronto’s first and second round picks (6th and 15th overall) in the 2014 CFL Canadian Draft; import offensive lineman Tony Washington, import defensive back Otha Foster and a negotiation list player in exchange for Edmonton’s first and third round picks (3rd and 21st overall) in the 2014 CFL Canadian Draft and a negotiation list player.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/argos-trad...-select-coombs (http://www.cfl.ca/article/argos-trade-for-third-overall-pick-select-coombs)

jerrym
05-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Coombs rated 8th, and the Argos somewhat sacrificially trade up to, in effect, declare that this particular running back (albeit non-import) is Number 3.
At first glance, I don't see the wisdom in this trade+selection, and would be interested in hearing others' opinions on this subject.
They gave a lot up in the trade but I suspect the Argos are worried about the durability of Durie who will be 33 in July and seemed increasingly fragile as last year wore on. I still think Durie is great but now they have a backup who has the potential to take over the job. I think Coombs will start out returning kicks and punts and spot Durie. However, I suspect Coombs will get some starting time this year as Durie is likely to miss one or more games and will be a starter fulltime next year or the year after.

Wobbler
05-13-2014, 08:38 PM
We obviously liked him a lot, had reason to believe that he wouldn't be there at #6, and perhaps weren't all that excited about the guys who'd be left on the board at #15.

Based on all the mock drafts and chatter I would have expected him to be available at #6, but that certainly could have been wrong.

Argo
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
They gave a lot up in the trade but I suspect the Argos are worried about the durability of Durie who will be 33 in July and seemed increasingly fragile as last year wore on. I still think Durie is great but now they have a backup who has the potential to take over the job. I think Coombs will start out returning kicks and punts and spot Durie. However, I suspect Coombs will get some starting time this year as Durie is likely to miss one or more games and will be a starter fulltime next year or the year after.

Very plausible.

Argo
05-13-2014, 08:45 PM
We obviously liked him a lot, had reason to believe that he wouldn't be there at #6, and perhaps weren't all that excited about the guys who'd be left on the board at #15.

Based on all the mock drafts and chatter I would have expected him to be available at #6, but that certainly could have been wrong.

Yes, that's what I was thinking (he'd still be available at #6). The Argos weren't comfortable waiting to find out.

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 08:48 PM

Yeah - maybe would have still been there at #6, but who knows: one of the features of CFL drafting IMO is what i would call a lack of drafting finesse - teams identify a guy they like and go all gung-ho - moving up in trades or taking the guy way early when they could have waited and got the guy later in the draft. Wally's 1st two picks for BC this draft are border-line laughable this way IMO.

Argos musta really liked Coombs - gave up a lot to get him; outstanding CIS RB with speed & athelticism - hope he fits in well: could play tailback, return kicks or maybe a Durie type understudy as a slotback; however - if it was just the latter he was mostly viewed at = pretty iffy pick IMO - I would rather have seem them draft a proven receiver (Bastien, Fox, Psczonzak for example) rather than hoping a RB can make the conversion to receiver as some sort of "project".

Argo
05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Yeah - maybe would have still been there at #6, but who knows: one of the features of CFL drafting IMO is what i would call a lack of drafting finesse - teams identify a guy they like and go all gung-ho - moving up in trades or taking the guy way early when they could have waited and got the guy later in the draft. Wally's 1st two picks for BC this draft are border-line laughable this way IMO.

Argos musta really liked Coombs - gave up a lot to get him; outstanding CIS RB with speed & athelticism - hope he fits in well: could play tailback, return kicks or maybe a Durie type understudy as a slotback; however - if it was just the latter he was mostly viewed at = pretty iffy pick IMO - I would rather have seem them draft a proven receiver (Bastien, Fox, Psczonzak for example) rather than hoping a RB can make the conversion to receiver as some sort of "project".

TSN (Forde?) stated that Coombs is a gifted receiver already.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
The Argos take Jas Dhillon, DL, UBC, with their third round choice (#21 overall). The url below is a video of him. He is described as

2013 All-Canadian, team captain, 2014 CFL draft prospect. You will find him in E-Camp in March. This guy has a bright future. Hard working, dedicated, humble, team guy who cant wait to help out a squad at the next level. Keep your eyes open for this young star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvtRBFNRqoQ

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 09:05 PM
The Argos take Jas Dhillon, DL, UBC, with their third round choice (#21 overall). The url below is a video of him. He is described as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvtRBFNRqoQ

He's an O-Lineman; another questionable pick IMO - expect this guy to make the roster with all the NI O-Line talent & depth the Argos already have?

I guess they didn't identify and D help in this draft in IMO a much more pressing area of need.

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
TSN (Forde?) stated that Coombs is a gifted receiver already.

Could well be and I trust Mr. Forde's opinions.

Wobbler
05-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Thomas Miles, who we just drafted in the 4th round, is an LB/LS. Seems like a good special teamer at least.

Wobbler
05-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Oh, and we grabbed Matt Black's brother. That's nice.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 09:14 PM
He's an O-Lineman; another questionable pick IMO - expect this guy to make the roster with all the NI O-Line talent & depth the Argos already have?

I guess they didn't identify and D help in this draft in IMO a much more pressing area of need.
Sorry about that but the CFL Draft website had him listed as DL so I just copied it.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Thomas Miles a linebacker from Manitoba is Argos fourth round draft choice. He seemed somewhat diffident in this video interview from the combine.

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/94963

gilthethrill
05-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I hope the Argos can grab Andrew Fox.....

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I hope the Argos can grab Andrew Fox.....

They took receiver Pszconak = nice pick IMO - very productive CIS receiver with some very good testing #s. A bit on the small side but could push for playing time - maybe even beat out Watt at WR?

Argo
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Pszconak certainly looks to have upside; a nice pick. But, yes, getting Andrew "Dressler" Fox would have been very interesting.

gilthethrill
05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
They took receiver Pszconak = nice pick IMO - very productive CIS receiver with some very good testing #s. A bit on the small side but could push for playing time - maybe even beat out Watt at WR?

OV what do you make of the Argos drafting a FB since we already have young Zander Robinson and yet another NI LB in Miles....is he a LS as well?

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Gotta love the CFL draft: all sorts of off the board type picks; Ottawa draft a couple of guys that were nowhere to be found on any CFL draft prospect lists; Popp with a couple of bizarre picks for the Als too.

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 09:39 PM
OV what do you make of the Argos drafting a FB since we already have young Zander Robinson and yet another NI LB in Miles....is he a LS as well?

A lot of CFL draft talk and speculation from fans and media is often wayyyyyyyyyy off the mark IMO; CFL decision makers are not often thinking impact players or addressing apparent team needs; so special teamers, back-ups or long-range "project" types are often taken and often over proven star college ball players who you'd think would be way more valued. If Miles is a long-snapper, that could help fill a need. Dupuis at fullback = whatever - hey maybe they are going to unveil an offence that features a fullback lots and Robinson & Dupuis will be big contributors.

Argo
05-13-2014, 09:40 PM
I like the Tore Corrado pick.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 09:49 PM
The following article on Evan Pszczonak describes him as the most underrated wide receiver in the OUA.
http://sportseh.ca/article/most-underrated-wr-in-the-oua

Below are videos of his bench press and 40 yd dash at the combine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtISskAYi8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoPQD7zU53U

jerrym
05-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Below is Tore Corrado's, Argo's sixth round draft choice, highlight tape from 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lvOpch2iA

gilthethrill
05-13-2014, 09:52 PM
A lot of CFL draft talk and speculation from fans and media is often wayyyyyyyyyy off the mark IMO; CFL decision makers are not often thinking impact players or addressing apparent team needs; so special teamers, back-ups or long-range "project" types are often taken and often over proven star college ball players who you'd think would be way more valued. If Miles is a long-snapper, that could help fill a need. Dupuis at fullback = whatever - hey maybe they are going to unveil an offence that features a fullback lots and Robinson & Dupuis will be big contributors.

I just looked it up, according to Duane Ford Miles is a LS....no DL help via the draft tells me perhaps FA Ted Laurent could coming on board?

OV Argo
05-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Corrado & Kirby Fletcher (CIS all-star DT) seem like good later round value - at least both proven college ball players.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif went number 1 in the third round so the Argos at #21 had no chance at him after the first round even if they were thinking that they might take him in the hopes they could get him after he finished with the NFL.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Kirby Fletcher, Argos 7th round choice is a defensive lineman from Acadia. Here is his CIS record.

http://www.atlanticuniversitysport.com/sports/fball/2013-14/players/kirbyfletcherebwb

Argo
05-13-2014, 10:27 PM
I just watched Anthony "Terry Metcalf" Coombs highlight reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQzdshvP6Y
Oh yeah.

jerrym
05-13-2014, 10:44 PM
For me this is the start of the CFL season. It sends a tingle down my spine, knowing there is so much more to come.

AngeloV
05-13-2014, 11:06 PM

I think that being a proven CIS player really means nothing in regards to being a good pro player. There are a lot of really good NCAA players that never get a sniff in the NFL either.

Rich
05-14-2014, 12:17 AM

Agree with all of this. I suspect they gave up so much because Edmonton was going to take him. They ended up taking an RB (from U of T?!) in the 2nd round.

I agree he will likely be groomed to spell and eventually replace Durie. But what about the possibility of Coombs lining up in a double TB formation with Kackert/Slaton? At 200 lbs. he will be a better blocker than either one of them. Think of the possibilities. I love this pick. Mr. Barker has made the Argo offence that much more dangerous.

Wobbler
05-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Since this is the de facto Argos' draft thread, here's a summary of our picks:

3. Anthony Coombs, RB
21. Jaskaran Dhillon, OL
33. Thomas Miles, LB/LS
36. Alexandre Dupuis, FB
38. Eric Black, DB
42. Evan Pszczonak, WR
51. Tore Corrado, WR
60. Kirby Fletcher, DL

Wobbler
05-14-2014, 12:50 AM
We drafted the #8 ranked player on the final CFLSB ratings list (Coombs), the fastest RB (Coombs) and WR (Corrado) at the combine, as well as the vertical jump champ (Pszczonak).

I'd say that Coombs was a guy we *really* wanted, Dhillon is a "development" pick who might pay off in a couple of years (he has only played offense for a year, but apparently has shown considerable promise), and Miles was selected to audition as our future long snapper. If any of the other guys pay off it'll be a delightful surprise.

Argo
05-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Corrado could (at the very least) become a fine returner in the CFL.
Pszczonak (intangibles included) looks to be a good bet to succeed.

Finally, it's disappointing that Devon Bailey isn't an Argo today, though that wasn't in the cards.

jerrym
05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Herre is Duane Forde's analysis of Alexandre Dupuis, who was drafted in the fourth round. Forde ranked Dupuis third among eligible running backs. The Montreal Regional Combine Prospects list had him listed as a possible tight end in addition to running back.

Alexandre Dupuis (FB, Montreal)The Good: He battled back from surgeries on both knees in 2012 to become an RSEQ All-Star last season.

The Bad: No one will question his toughness or work ethic but he might be a little limited athletically.

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/story/?id=451913

jerrym
05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Forde's comment on Eric Black, drafted in the fifth round.

Eric Black (Saint Mary's) – 5'11", 170 lbs.; brother of Toronto Argonaut DB Matt Black; 2013 AUS All-Star cornerback; strength is a concern, as he posted only 3 bench press reps at the CFL Combine
http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=452042

His St. Mary's profile is below.

http://www.atlanticuniversitysport.com/sports/fball/2013-14/players/ericblackx9zb

1argoholic
05-14-2014, 03:21 PM
All in all a very exciting day to be an Argo fan. I think Barker did very well. Coombs and Corrado look exciting to watch. We shall see how it all pans out.

ArgoGabe22
05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Mike Hogan was inside the Argos draft room - http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=452184

OV Argo
05-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I think that being a proven CIS player really means nothing in regards to being a good pro player. There are a lot of really good NCAA players that never get a sniff in the NFL either.

The "means nothing" part is way over-stating the case, but, yeah - agreed - a lot of good college ball players do not make it in the pros - can be for a bunch of reasons; but usually the all-star or stat leader types do get drafted or a FA try-out.

I don't think you see very often, in the NFL draft, top rated. all-american or stat leader type players totally over-looked so that some team can draft some guy basically unheard of on any draft prospect lists or who was not at least a top notch starter in college ball - there are just so many good football players to choose from - so some bench warmer or part-time starter with little college ball accomplishments is just not going to get drafted ( maybe the odd basketball player as a tight end project) over very good football players.
OTOH - the CFL draft often see outstanding college ball players over-looked or not drafted, so a few CFL teams can pick some did little in football guys who they view as good athletes or nice characters or maybe because they are related to somebody in a CFL organization - that type of stuff is just laughable IMO (unless the CFL draft was 17 rounds or something) - when a team has only 6 to 8 picks maybe in a draft - you should be able to draft accomplished football players, IMO.

ArgoRavi
05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
The "means nothing" part is way over-stating the case, but, yeah - agreed - a lot of good college ball players do not make it in the pros - can be for a bunch of reasons; but usually the all-star or stat leader types do get drafted or a FA try-out.

I don't think you see very often, in the NFL draft, top rated. all-american or stat leader type players totally over-looked so that some team can draft some guy basically unheard of on any draft prospect lists or who was not at least a top notch starter in college ball - there are just so many good football players to choose from - so some bench warmer or part-time starter with little college ball accomplishments is just not going to get drafted ( maybe the odd basketball player as a tight end project) over very good football players.
OTOH - the CFL draft often see outstanding college ball players over-looked or not drafted, so a few CFL teams can pick some did little in football guys who they view as good athletes or nice characters or maybe because they are related to somebody in a CFL organization - that type of stuff is just laughable IMO (unless the CFL draft was 17 rounds or something) - when a team has only 6 to 8 picks maybe in a draft - you should be able to draft accomplished football players, IMO.

I think that you see it in the NFL too, OV. For instance, Luke Willson did not have a stellar U.S. college career but he was drafted and likely before some other tight ends who were better. Why was he drafted? Because of his strong combine results.

OV Argo
05-14-2014, 08:42 PM
I think that you see it in the NFL too, OV. For instance, Luke Willson did not have a stellar U.S. college career but he was drafted and likely before some other tight ends who were better. Why was he drafted? Because of his strong combine results.

Luke Wilson was a starting TE in Div. I US college ball who put up some very good testing #s (fast for a TE) = he was an NFL draft prospect.

Poop and the Als just drafted receiver Andrew Smith = hardly a top notch college player with all-star or stat leading #s and who ran a 5 second forty at a CFL regional combine; the Als passed over proven CIS star receivers like Pszconak (Argos got him) or Alexander Fox (super strong & athletic tester, plus leading CIS receiver and repeat CIS all-Canadian - BC drafted him), or Corrado who the Argos also got later = I'm not sure in which universe Smith rates a better CFL receiver propect than those above guys, but maybe Smith is related to Larry of Als fame ?

Ottawa made a couple of very curious or iffy picks too IMO - over-looking CIS all-star players like Kirby Fletcher (glad he fell to the Argos in the later rounds) or Terry Hart - AUS all-star O-Lineman + very good bench # at the CFL Combine - in order to take guys at the same position who were hardly top rated prospects; but maybe these unhearlded type prospects are great diamond in the rough type picks and emerge as solid CFLers - we shall see, but precious little evidence of those bizzare or questionable type picks ever panning out.

Good ole CFL draft = always good for some quirks or laughs IMO.

argolio
05-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Poop and the Als just drafted receiver Andrew Smith = hardly a top notch college player with all-star or stat leading #s and who ran a 5 second forty at a CFL regional combineMaybe they worked him out privately and he tested much better.

OV Argo
05-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Maybe they worked him out privately and he tested much better.

Yep - maybe

jerrym
05-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Besides returning kicks and punts and backing up Durie, Coombs provides the Argos with the chance to have him as a backup to a starting import running back if they choose not to dress two American import RBs, thereby saving an import for use elsewhere.

ArgoRavi
05-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Luke Wilson was a starting TE in Div. I US college ball who put up some very good testing #s (fast for a TE) = he was an NFL draft prospect.

IIRC, Willson had fallen out of favour though with a weak senior season. As I said, there were other college tight ends who had better seasons and careers than Willson did but he was drafted, mostly based on his combine results and not on his actual play on the field.

OV Argo
05-15-2014, 09:22 PM
IIRC, Willson had fallen out of favour though with a weak senior season. As I said, there were other college tight ends who had better seasons and careers than Willson did but he was drafted, mostly based on his combine results and not on his actual play on the field.

At least he played in college ball, and backed it up with good testing #s.

Ottawa just used a draft pick on an O-Lineman - Hugo Desmerais - who basically has played little college ball: top prospect out of CGEP ball in Quebec at one time and went to Laval where he barely played due to some injury issues and hasn't played any real football in a two or three years ??? - IMO, no other CFL team would have drafted him (or heard of him); yet Desjardins uses a draft pick on the guy and totally over-looks some proven CIS stars - where Ottawa has tons of need (like at receiver - could have taken Fox or Psczonak or Corrado) = typical total lack of CFL drafting finesse - identifying some real reach project as a draft pick when you could have easily signed the guy as an undrafted FA. And Ottawa could have instead drafted O-lineman Terry Hart - AUS all-star and at the CFL Combine where he put up a strong bench # and apparently looked good in the football drills - this from Ottawa scout Miles Gorrell - who i guess got over-ruled by Desjardins there ?

Plenty of the usual questionable, reach or iffy/laughable picks this CFL draft (Wally's 1st 2 for BC IMO, plus Popp with some head scratchers for the Als IMO); BUT - some teams were able to maybe make-up for it with some good to decent picks in the mid to later rounds - like Argos getting Psczonak and Fletcher or Wally getting Fox and Menard).

argonaut11xx
05-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Poop and the Als just drafted receiver Andrew Smith

Hmmm...is Poop what you think of Jim's drafting skill's?..hehe...

OV Argo
05-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Hmmm...is Poop what you think of Jim's drafting skill's?..hehe...

Typo ;o) - Jim used to be very good in the CFL draft for the Als IMO - produced so many impact players for many years; lately = i think he is often out to lunch or slipping there - maybe he is more focussed on trying to land an NFL gig than on CFL scouting ?

OV Argo
05-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Besides returning kicks and punts and backing up Durie, Coombs provides the Argos with the chance to have him as a backup to a starting import running back if they choose not to dress two American import RBs, thereby saving an import for use elsewhere.

Yeah - Coombs is a talent and a versatile player = be very interesting to see where he lines-up for the Argos this year or if he makes any impact as a rookie.

argonaut11xx
05-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Typo ;o) - Jim used to be very good in the CFL draft for the Als IMO - produced so many impact players for many years; lately = i think he is often out to lunch or slipping there - maybe he is more focussed on trying to land an NFL gig than on CFL scouting ?

I agree completely...how he seems almost disinterested...when just a few years back he seemed to be the best GM by a country mile...

Argocister
05-16-2014, 06:27 PM
?......

Ottawa just used a draft pick on an O-Lineman - Hugo Desmerais - who basically has played little college ball: top prospect out of CGEP ball in Quebec at one time and went to Laval where he barely played due to some injury issues and hasn't played any real football in a two or three years ??? - ............

I will have to check out where I read this, but apparently Hugo stopped playing for concussion like symptoms. He actually had a neck injury which has been treated and he has medical okay to play. Hugo showed up at one of the Rouge et Noir tryouts and the staff were impressed. I'm thinking that Desjardins found that Hugo was eligible for draft rather than a free agent. He will still need work and probably time on the PR but selection was probably due to him attending the tryout.

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I will have to check out where I read this, but apparently Hugo stopped playing for concussion like symptoms. He actually had a neck injury which has been treated and he has medical okay to play. Hugo showed up at one of the Rouge et Noir tryouts and the staff were impressed. I'm thinking that Desjardins found that Hugo was eligible for draft rather than a free agent. He will still need work and probably time on the PR but selection was probably due to him attending the tryout.

Hey - the guy may be a super prospect and great if he pans out = nice find; but again, to my point on CFL draft "thinking" (or lack thereof) - he was probably highly unlikely to be drafted by another other CFL team, and so could probably have been signed as a FA; but Desjardins (I'm thinking more & more he is clueless, and i may have originally got that impression from his Tigercat days?) uses a 5th round pick on the guy and blows a chance to draft proven all-star, top stat or very good testing # college ball players and at other positions instead = where Ottawa is in big need for new talent.

ArgoRavi
05-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Hey - the guy may be a super prospect and great if he pans out = nice find; but again, to my point on CFL draft "thinking" (or lack thereof) - he was probably highly unlikely to be drafted by another other CFL team, and so could probably have been signed as a FA; but Desjardins (I'm thinking more & more he is clueless, and i may have originally got that impression from his Tigercat days?) uses a 5th round pick on the guy and blows a chance to draft proven all-star, top stat or very good testing # college ball players and at other positions instead = where Ottawa is in big need for new talent.

You do make a good point here, OV. It doesn't make much sense on wasting a draft pick on this player when he was unlikely to be selected unless Desjardins had reason to believe someone else might take a flyer on this kid.

Argo
05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
...Desjardins (I'm thinking more & more he is clueless, and i may have originally got that impression from his Tigercat days?) uses a 5th round pick on the guy and blows a chance to draft proven all-star, top stat or very good testing # college ball players and at other positions instead = where Ottawa is in big need for new talent.

Desjardins has been given every advantage by the CFL, to assist reestablishing football in Ottawa, so we'll have to wait and see later how good he actually can be as a GM. Meanwhile "benefit of the doubt" seems appropriate.

Argocister
05-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Hope your French is up to par ...... http://www.journaldequebec.com/2014/05/15/desmarais-sort-de-son-mutisme

In the article it states he was also talking with Hamilton ..... Thereby rouge et noir use the draft pick on Hugo.

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Hope your French is up to par ...... http://www.journaldequebec.com/2014/05/15/desmarais-sort-de-son-mutisme

In the article it states he was also talking with Hamilton ..... Thereby rouge et noir use the draft pick on Hugo.

So Desjardins knew Desmerais was "talking" to Hamilton and got panicked and just had to use that draft pick to take this great "prospect" ? - OK - could be, whatever; the Ticats just used all their draft pick to take defensive players and by-passed taking some good O-line prospects however.

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Desjardins has been given every advantage by the CFL, to assist reestablishing football in Ottawa, so we'll have to wait and see later how good he actually can be as a GM. Meanwhile "benefit of the doubt" seems appropriate.

Yep - sure - we'll see how he does and i hope they do well. I'm not impressed by many of his moves - in the expansion draft, FA signing or the recent CFL draft - not all bad, but some very iffy or typical CFL myopic stuff IMO.

Should be some very interesting TC competition in Ottawa.

Argocister
05-16-2014, 10:16 PM
So Desjardins knew Desmerais was "talking" to Hamilton and got panicked and just had to use that draft pick to take this great "prospect" ? - OK - could be, whatever; the Ticats just used all their draft pick to take defensive players and by-passed taking some good O-line prospects however.

True about no OL for the Ticats..... I hadn't paid attention. With Dyakowski injured and losing Hage you would think that would be on the list. I'll have to check what's up with the cats ..... Seeing that my hubby is a cats fan :O

paulwoods13
05-16-2014, 10:32 PM
True about no OL for the Ticats..... I hadn't paid attention. With Dyakowski injured and losing Hage you would think that would be on the list. I'll have to check what's up with the cats ..... Seeing that my hubby is a cats fan :O

And they just released Cody Husband, a young NI o-line prospect they have been grooming for a year or two. Either they are loaded on the line or they are getting cocky as hell.

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 10:52 PM
And they just released Cody Husband, a young NI o-line prospect they have been grooming for a year or two. Either they are loaded on the line or they are getting cocky as hell.

They actually have a pile of NI O-Linemen - some vet starters and some depth (like ex-Argo Reinders and off-season FA signing Steve Myddelton - former starter for the Stamps) - they will probably pencil in 2 imports at OT = only need 3 interior NI starters plus a couple of depth /back-up guys = i think they believe they are just fine there.

Be real interesting IMO to see what they do with all the NIs they have accumulated on defence - Bulcke (their D player of the year last season), plus Hazime played on their D-Line last year; added Craig Butler; Stephen & King who split starting time at S last season; former top draft picks like Plesius (MLB), Gascon-Nadon (DE), Atkinson (DT), and then added a bunch more NI D players this draft - Gill at DT, Landry at OLB and some more D-linemen (trying to make up for getting burned in last year's draft with top picks Gaydosh and Urban both now in the NFL?) = probably could easily go with at least 4 if not 5 NI starters out of a lot of talent there on D - but i'd believe that when i see it.

ArgoRavi
05-31-2014, 11:55 PM

Here is an article from the Ottawa Sun about Desmarais: http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/05/31/big-kid-big-league-dreams

7dj83r8f78t4alf8