PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Bowen's Story of Forgiveness

ArgoGabe22
03-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Can't say I remember when this happened in 2004 but a good read.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/03/30/football_player_who_was_beaten_by_cops_pens_letter _of_forgiveness.html

ArgoRavi
03-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Can't say I remember when this happened in 2004 but a good read.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/03/30/football_player_who_was_beaten_by_cops_pens_letter _of_forgiveness.html

This is the first that I have ever heard of this incident but I must say that I would still be seething with anger if this had happened to me. Bowen deserves a lot of credit for putting those feelings aside.

Wobbler
03-30-2014, 01:15 PM
I suspect that his out of court settlement ended up being quite (appropriately) lucrative. That probably helped a lot.

argonaut11xx
03-30-2014, 03:55 PM
"When asked to forward the letter to Gervais, Peel police spokesman Staff Sgt. Dan Richardson said the department wouldn’t be responding to that request. Gervais is now a sergeant and received a commendation for his service in 2011."

WOW....the above quote from the article is scary...the police are certainly not what they used to be, and if you think the CFL upper management is an old boys club, the police is that on steroids.

That said, the RCMP out here in BC make the Metro Toronto police look like a bunch of boyscouts.

matthew
03-30-2014, 04:07 PM
The Argos should highlight his community work during a break in play this season. That would also give us an opportunity to appreciate his personal nature as well.

eiben35
03-30-2014, 06:02 PM
What an outstanding young man! I wonder if being around Pinball Clemons played a role in him being such a positive and forgiving person. The world would be such a better place with more people like Orlando Bowen.

1argoholic
04-01-2014, 10:22 AM
I do remember the story and the forgiveness is most likely so he can just move on. Not sure why we keep hearing stories about police officers who are more like criminals. Back in the day my uncle was a Deputy Chief in TO and you never heard of this crap.

RCMP in BC are messed up. We stopped into our local branch in Duncan not long after we moved there to complain about gun shots happening in the middle of the night. We were told that well you don't want to unpet your neighbours by complaining. Are you friggin kidding me. I told them that the neighbours were upsetting me.

ArgoRavi
04-01-2014, 10:32 AM
I do remember the story and the forgiveness is most likely so he can just move on. Not sure why we keep hearing stories about police officers who are more like criminals. Back in the day my uncle was a Deputy Chief in TO and you never heard of this crap.

Police corruption has always gone on but perhaps the media report on it more today.

T-Bone
04-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Police corruption has always gone on but perhaps the media report on it more today.
I believe you hit the nail on the head. This comes to mind (http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107859387388/). One good thing about all the smart phones, Google glasses, etc. out there is it gives power to the civilian. Things can't be as easily swept under the carpet as they could back in the good old days.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8