PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts on Wikipedia

Tau Ceti
04-09-2014, 07:15 PM
If you haven't done so lately, please take a minute and read over the latest version of the Toronto Argonauts page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Argonauts

Over the winter I significantly revamped and expanded the page with a little help from other editors on-site. It included quite an immersion in Argonauts history and I'm really pleased with the result. The reference section at the end includes a decent collection of books on the Argonauts for those interested (there aren't that many out there...). The article was recently promoted to "Good Article" on Wiki, one of about 20,000 (out of 4.5 million) so recognized. The next step is to get it to "Featured Article" status, which is reserved for the absolute best; this would allow it to appear on the main page for a day. Before doing that I would like a few more read throughs by interested people.

To anticipate the usual Wiki complaints, an article on the site is only as good as its own sources. When an article is scrupulously sourced like this one you have no less reason to trust it than a newspaper article or quality book. And even if you don't like Wiki you can't argue with its influence -- this article gets about 10,000 page views a month.

Happy reading!

paulwoods13
04-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Great work, Tau Ceti and the others who contributed to this page. (And thanks for including my book in the reading list!)

bluto
04-09-2014, 11:45 PM
very impressive wiki.

LLB997
04-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Congrats Tau Ceti, You have officially accomplished more than Chris Rudge has in 3 years.. You the man

Invader
04-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Very thorough and excellent job Tau Ceti! It was interesting to read about the history of the Argos, in such a concise and easy to read format.

T-Bone
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Impressive. Keep up the good work Tau Ceti.

argonaut11xx
04-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Amazing page....great read

did notice something though,
All-Time and Hall of Fame[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Toronto_Argonauts&action=edit&section=18)] Toronto Arognauts Honored Personnel<center style="color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 21px;">

</center>

Tau Ceti
04-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

argonaut11xx, I wasn't sure what issue you were pointing to? Please do let me know.

Paul, next time I go over the article I'll try to work your book into the citations directly. Technically it's self-published but a couple of footnotes on the early 80s teams should be allowable. I also got your great article from last year on the Ticats rivalry in there!

ArgoGabe22
04-10-2014, 09:30 PM

All-Time and Hall of Fame[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Toronto_Argonauts&action=edit&section=18)] Toronto Arognauts Honored Personnel

I think he is pointing out Honor instead of Honour? We're in Canada lol

Tau Ceti
04-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I think he is pointing out Honor instead of Honour? We're in Canada lol

I had thought of that but the page itself uses Canadian spelling. Oh well.

Neely2005
04-10-2014, 10:05 PM

All-Time and Hall of Fame[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Toronto_Argonauts&action=edit&section=18)] Toronto Arognauts Honored Personnel<center style="color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 21px;">

</center>

Argonauts is spelled wrong in this quote. I assume that's what he's pointing out.

Tau Ceti
04-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Oops. Fixed. Thx.

Argo
04-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Excellent work, Tau Ceti.

Argo57
04-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Tau Ceti
Great job, you have done the 16x World Champions proud!!

jerrym
04-11-2014, 01:51 AM
I'll echo everyone else's deep felt thanks.

Johno27
04-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Tau Ceti, sincere thanks to you and the supporting cast for this worthy effort. A thought, would it be appropriate to add Mel Profit's book to the references section? From Mel's Wikipedia article:
"Mel authored a book entitled "For Love, Money and Future Considerations" which gave a player's view of the CFL. The book chronicled the 1971 season in which the Toronto Argonauts played in the Grey Cup, losing to the Calgary Stampeders."

Tau Ceti
04-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Tau Ceti, sincere thanks to you and the supporting cast for this worthy effort. A thought, would it be appropriate to add Mel Profit's book to the references section? From Mel's Wikipedia article:
"Mel authored a book entitled "For Love, Money and Future Considerations" which gave a player's view of the CFL. The book chronicled the 1971 season in which the Toronto Argonauts played in the Grey Cup, losing to the Calgary Stampeders."

Added! Thanks.

Argocister
04-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Thank you Tau Ceti! Great job and it is good reading for us fans that don't know all the history of the Argos . Great reference material for the Argofan.

Johno27
04-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Added! Thanks.

Sorry, you have the wrong publication. Here is the correct reference: Profit, Mel, For Love, Money, and Future Considerations. D.C Heath Canada Ltd., 1972.

Tau Ceti
04-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Sorry, you have the wrong publication. Here is the correct reference: Profit, Mel, For Love, Money, and Future Considerations. D.C Heath Canada Ltd., 1972.

Thanks, got it. Copy/paste error.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8