PDA

View Full Version : Argo D Re-build & potential impact newcomers ...

OV Argo
05-05-2014, 10:12 PM
... big challenge for new DC Burke - losses of very good players like Watkins and Ball, and not that much CFL experience for this defence - Emry was a nice pick-up and should be solid at MLB.

Looking forward to seeing who will emerge as impact starters: some possible new candidates:

Matt Ware - tons of NFL experience and a big DB - who i'll bet will get a look at OLB = possible very good replacement for Ball at OLB ?

Brandon Underwood - corner - NFL draft pick with some playing experience there = maybe another Watkins as a quality D-backfielder ?

Aston Whiteside - DE - superb D play-making stats in college ball, and a bit of NFL camp/PR experience; maybe a quality pass-rush DE?

Argos might go with 3 starting NIs on D : Laing at DT, Emry at MLB, and Gabriel/Black at safety ?; might be nice to add a couple of good D players this draft to help too: a DT (Quinn Smith or Evan Gill) - to play in a rotation at DT; a DE (Ainsworth, Menard, Romick) who could push for some playing time like a young David Lee did; a Safety/DB (Pruneau or Lue) who might be able to challenge for the starting S job right away or else be good back-ups for the D-backfield or OLB too, plus be impact special teamers.

Also hoping newcomers from last year - like Maybin (DE) or Thomas (DT) (another couple of ex-NFLers) - can pick-up the Canadian game and are committed to working hard to play in the CFL.

Argos need an improved D with some impact new players - hope Burke can pull this off; the O should be potentially outstanding if Ray stays healthy and with a very good O-Line and some weapons on O. A solid D and IMO Argos could cruise to first in the East = maybe a bit too optimistic, but i don't believe any other team in the East is going to be very good.

gilthethrill
05-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Expect Shane Horton to make a lot of plays (no, he won't be at Rush end or MLB) but some where else in either the backfield or OLB...he is always around the ball.

1argoholic
05-06-2014, 07:35 AM
These changes year in and year out worry me. You hope these guys adapt and gel but one year this could blow up in our faces. I suppose this is the reality of sports in this day and age especially with the big bucks drawing guys south.
We'll never see another Edmonton Eskimo Grey Cup run of the late 70's and early 80's. That record will never be beaten.

Argo
05-06-2014, 11:06 AM
... big challenge for new DC Burke - losses of very good players like Watkins and Ball, and not that much CFL experience for this defence - Emry was a nice pick-up and should be solid at MLB.

Looking forward to seeing who will emerge as impact starters: some possible new candidates:

Matt Ware - tons of NFL experience and a big DB - who i'll bet will get a look at OLB = possible very good replacement for Ball at OLB ?

Brandon Underwood - corner - NFL draft pick with some playing experience there = maybe another Watkins as a quality D-backfielder ?

Aston Whiteside - DE - superb D play-making stats in college ball, and a bit of NFL camp/PR experience; maybe a quality pass-rush DE?

Argos might go with 3 starting NIs on D : Laing at DT, Emry at MLB, and Gabriel/Black at safety ?; might be nice to add a couple of good D players this draft to help too: a DT (Quinn Smith or Evan Gill) - to play in a rotation at DT; a DE (Ainsworth, Menard, Romick) who could push for some playing time like a young David Lee did; a Safety/DB (Pruneau or Lue) who might be able to challenge for the starting S job right away or else be good back-ups for the D-backfield or OLB too, plus be impact special teamers.

Also hoping newcomers from last year - like Maybin (DE) or Thomas (DT) (another couple of ex-NFLers) - can pick-up the Canadian game and are committed to working hard to play in the CFL.

Argos need an improved D with some impact new players - hope Burke can pull this off; the O should be potentially outstanding if Ray stays healthy and with a very good O-Line and some weapons on O. A solid D and IMO Argos could cruise to first in the East = maybe a bit too optimistic, but i don't believe any other team in the East is going to be very good.

A good and interesting post, although I completely disagree with your concluding statement.
Otherwise, might there be a means (i.e., one change of position) of starting both Gabriel and Black in the secondary - if they're up to the challenge before the regular season starts - with positive effect on the ratio?

Argo
05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
These changes year in and year out worry me. You hope these guys adapt and gel but one year this could blow up in our faces. I suppose this is the reality of sports in this day and age especially with the big bucks drawing guys south.
We'll never see another Edmonton Eskimo Grey Cup run of the late 70's and early 80's. That record will never be beaten.

The things you describe are simply the facts of life in and around the CFL. To say nothing about the perennial ownership and, indeed, survival challenges faced by the Argonauts.
At least, however, many football players graduate college every year while few secure employment in the NFL, so the CFL is not badly positioned in consequence.
The Eskie Dynasty may eventually be matched or bettered: it's not impossible, just highly improbable.

D-Gap-Willie
05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
There seems to be a bit of a common thread to the newcomers trying out for Burke's defence. There are few raw rookies. Many of them have years of NFL experience, usually with some starting experience. I think of Ware, Thomas, Moore, Underwood and Butler. There are probably others. None of them are 'rosy cheeked' freshmen. They are I expect here because they want to play football. They all have enough experience to know that it takes hard work and dedication. I like the mindset - I hope that it is true.

..and I doubt that any of them have handshake deals to leave after the season.

Double Dare
05-06-2014, 12:28 PM
The things you describe are simply the facts of life in and around the CFL. To say nothing about the perennial ownership and, indeed, survival challenges faced by the Argonauts.
At least, however, many football players graduate college every year while few secure employment in the NFL, so the CFL is not badly positioned in consequence.
The Eskie Dynasty may eventually be matched or bettered: it's not impossible, just highly improbable.

Every sport ... there is hardly any team loyalty anymore. It is all based on $$$$$$$.

1argoholic
05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
It would take some kind of miracle for the Esks run to be beat. You just don't have whole talented teams staying together for more than a year or two these days. Gone are the days where people will wait for anything. People want it all now. I guess Edmonton fans are paying for the good old days with all the crap teams lately.

OV Argo
05-06-2014, 06:05 PM
A good and interesting post, although I completely disagree with your concluding statement.
Otherwise, might there be a means (i.e., one change of position) of starting both Gabriel and Black in the secondary - if they're up to the challenge before the regular season starts - with positive effect on the ratio?

Love to see Matt Black get a real shot to start at corner - his position he excelled at in college ball; and then Gabriel at safety. NOT going to happen though IMO; Emry, Laing at DT, plus Gabriel or Black at safety = 3 starting NIs on D, and that's more than enough by pre-determined good ole pencilled in thinking. 4 is too many.

ArgoGabe22
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Maybin does during camp. I also wonder how Shane Herbert is doing with recovery. He pretty much made his way into the lineup and then broke his leg so here's hoping he gets back to the form he was in during camp.

Wobbler
05-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Speaking of defensive players who were promising last year before getting seriously injured, has anyone heard Brent Vinson's name recently? It would be nice to know that he had fully recovered, at least.

Argo
05-06-2014, 08:51 PM
It would take some kind of miracle for the Esks run to be beat. You just don't have whole talented teams staying together for more than a year or two these days. Gone are the days where people will wait for anything. People want it all now. I guess Edmonton fans are paying for the good old days with all the crap teams lately.

I don't disagree with you. Probability close to zero.

OV Argo
05-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Expect Shane Horton to make a lot of plays (no, he won't be at Rush end or MLB) but some where else in either the backfield or OLB...he is always around the ball.

Yeah - I liked Horton as a D play-maker last season; have to think he would be at OLB; maybe him and Matt Ware (or some other new guy) at OLB with Emry in the middle ?

Argo57
05-06-2014, 09:43 PM

Actually it did blow up in their faces (last season) to be honest I am way more optimistic about our D heading into this season as opposed to last season as Barker seems to have gone the more experienced route with this years recruits, also looking forward to a change in scheme with Burke.

1argoholic
05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Does anyone dare buy a jersey with a players name on the back anymore?

D-Gap-Willie
05-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Maybe there is good money to be made in a sweater with velcro on the back, and a package of assorted letters so that you can change names at will
BTW I'm from the era when football and hockey players wore sweaters, baseball players wore shirts and soccer players wore "jerseys" - too old and too stubborn to change

AngeloV
05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Every sport ... there is hardly any team loyalty anymore. It is all based on $$$$$$$.

I still think it's better than the days when the owners held all the cards and low balled the players.

Double Dare
05-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Does anyone dare buy a jersey with a players name on the back anymore?
Just get one with "DICK" on it.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8