PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Isaac, Onrea Jones released by Ti-cats

Argo
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Isaac back to the Argos? Not a bad LB...

Onrea Jones will probably end up in Winnipeg: he's a good WR, versatile, and diligent. OC MB coached him previously, IIRC.

Fumblitis
05-09-2014, 10:16 PM
The Riders are a little short on linebackers right now.

OV Argo
05-09-2014, 11:16 PM

Onrea Jones will probably end up in Winnipeg: he's a good WR, versatile, and diligent. OC MB coached him previously, IIRC.

Disagree - Jones is a mediocre hands of stone receiver - if he ends up playing for the Bombers - shows how desperate they are and how dumb Marcel B is.

ArgoRavi
05-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Given that Isaac has been released by two different teams in less than a year and that he is not considered to be young by pro football standards, he may be nearing the end of the line.

ArgoGabe22
05-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Ticats also released RB/FB Dahrran Diedrick. Has a history with Milanovich with Montreal & Kackert's health status is still an unknown.

gilthethrill
05-10-2014, 11:21 AM
No thanks to all 3 players....

Argo
05-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Disagree - Jones is a mediocre hands of stone receiver - if he ends up playing for the Bombers - shows how desperate they are and how dumb Marcel B is.

You may of course be correct. Though I don't have time or energy to investigate, I seem to recall Jones making some nice, key catches. The Ti-cat board seems to regret his loss, though recognizing that Jones had become the odd man out in Hamiltonia.

Argo
05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Given that Isaac has been released by two different teams in less than a year and that he is not considered to be young by pro football standards, he may be nearing the end of the line.

IIRC, Isaac was not a liability on the field last season, and is a generally dynamic player. If he can find a home, he could be productive.

zontar
05-10-2014, 09:19 PM
- Jones is a mediocre hands of stone receiver -

Say, wha ?

AngeloV
05-10-2014, 11:41 PM
-
Jones is a mediocre hands of stone receiver -

Say, wha ?

It's the reverse CFL "thinkers" angle.

OV Argo
05-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Say, wha ?

IF you watched him play for the Ticats - he dropped plenty of passes; and he is now cut there; got plenty of playing time due to his birth certificate though.

zontar
05-11-2014, 08:47 AM
IF you watched him play for the Ticats - he dropped plenty of passes; and he is now cut there; got plenty of playing time due to his birth certificate though.

Garbage. You dont know what you're talking about. Slow, but a reliable target.

OV Argo
05-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Garbage. You dont know what you're talking about. Slow, but a reliable target.

You're entitled to your opinions chum, and so am I - you stick with what you "know" - "reliable target" my @r$e - more like a guy who dropped all kinds of passes and was nothing in terms of a big play , deep treat or YAC yards guy. I guess Kent-boy likes to get rid of reliable targets?

ArgoRavi
05-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Speaking of guys who have gotten plenty of chances because of their birth certificate, has Chris Bauman reached the end of the line after being released by Calgary?

OV Argo
05-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Speaking of guys who have gotten plenty of chances because of their birth certificate, has Chris Bauman reached the end of the line after being released by Calgary?

Maybe Ottawa gives him a chance?; and isn't he from Winnipeg so maybe the Bombers?

And you might want to get the distinction between roster chances and playing time chances; Bauman might make a CFL roster for a team in need of back-up NI receivers, but he's barely played in the past few years; Onrea Jones or Maurice Mann types make CFL rosters AND get handed playing time; then they underwhelm, are mediocre or drop passes galore, and get handed more playing time again - Mann with 3 different teams.

AngeloV
05-11-2014, 09:35 PM
And you might want to get the distinction between roster chances and playing time chances; Bauman might make a CFL roster for a team in need of back-up NI receivers, but he's barely played in the past few years;

Do you know why he hasn't played? Probably because he's not good enough.

OV Argo
05-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Yep; he did have a few CFL moments though - led the Ticats in receiving in a play-off game with over 100 yards. Probably done in the CFL - but you never know - Ottawa and Winnipeg don't have that much proven at receiver and might be interested in a veteran NI; wouldn't be the first time a player has emerged to be pretty decent or good down the road after disappointing early in their career - a fresh chance with a new team in need perhaps?

ArgoRavi
05-11-2014, 09:52 PM

Furthermore, Bauman reportedly received a six-figure salary with Edmonton a few years ago. One would think that the Esks would have wanted him starting with that kind of ticket and he still couldn't land a starting job.

OV Argo
05-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Furthermore, Bauman reportedly received a six-figure salary with Edmonton a few years ago. One would think that the Esks would have wanted him starting with that kind of ticket and he still couldn't land a starting job.

I wonder what Maurice Mann was making with the Ticats or Argos ?

AngeloV
05-11-2014, 10:15 PM

I'm guessing between 60-75k

OV Argo
05-11-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm guessing between 60-75k

Yeah - maybe; i get a real kick out of all the CFL salary speculation - a lot of it from the usual suspect CFL "reporters" in their all-knowing tweets - a lot of Rider fans are all up in arms cause they heard or read that no-talent, fave scapegoat NI Shomari Williams is making 120 K there - could be i guess, but I doubt it; just like i highly doubt Bauman got a 100K base salary when he signed with Edmonton - maybe 100K with lots of incentives (making all-star, leading the league in receptions type stuff) which he was unlikely to reach.

CFL salary speculation is often laughable IMO = we don't know. I would guess however that the top paid players in the league are QBs and then proven starters at other positions. The notion that all sorts of NI players (especially O-Linemen) are gouging CFL teams with exorbitant salaries cause they are so rare and so valuable is IMO one of those tired old CFL cliches that get recited & regurgitated over & over again. Show me the money - verified CFL contract figures - and I'll start to believe the cliches and speculation.

AngeloV
05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah - maybe; i get a real kick out of all the CFL salary speculation - a lot of it from the usual suspect CFL "reporters" in their all-knowing tweets - a lot of Rider fans are all up in arms cause they heard or read that no-talent, fave scapegoat NI Shomari Williams is making 120 K there - could be i guess, but I doubt it; just like i highly doubt Bauman got a 100K base salary when he signed with Edmonton - maybe 100K with lots of incentives (making all-star, leading the league in receptions type stuff) which he was unlikely to reach.

CFL salary speculation is often laughable IMO = we don't know. I would guess however that the top paid players in the league are QBs and then proven starters at other positions. The notion that all sorts of NI players (especially O-Linemen) are gouging CFL teams with exorbitant salaries cause they are so rare and so valuable is IMO one of those tired old CFL cliches that get recited & regurgitated over & over again. Show me the money - verified CFL contract figures - and I'll start to believe the cliches and speculation.

A couple of my former teammates from high school and junior have played in the CFL (one had a cup of coffee as a RB/STer, the other had a long all star career as a center). It's not cliche. If you are a productive Canadian starter, you will for the most part make more than an import starter except for a QB or superstar player.

ArgoRavi
05-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Whatever he was making, he was a much better receiver than Bauman.

OV Argo
05-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Whatever he was making, he was a much better receiver than Bauman.

Oh, I duuno about that; Mann got way more playing time chances than Bauman, and Mann did put together one productive season for the Esks (and Bauman had a 100 yd. plus CFL play-off receiving game); Mann also dropped a ton of passes - wayyyyy more than Bauman (who got a bad rep for 2 glaring drops in one game early in his career) ever did. Both were average at their best and more like mediocre or poor = not starting calibre CFL receivers IMO - and Mann got wayyyyyyy more playing time opportunity to demonstrate that.

OV Argo
05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
A couple of my former teammates from high school and junior have played in the CFL (one had a cup of coffee as a RB/STer, the other had a long all star career as a center). It's not cliche. If you are a productive Canadian starter, you will for the most part make more than an import starter except for a QB or superstar player.

Funny how the cliche went that NI O-linemen commanded huge CFL bucks - yet recent years reports had Rob Murphy and Ben Archibald types as the highest paid O-Linemen in the league. Who knows though - again, its all speculation so arguing about that stuff is just amusing.

Just what percentage of a CFL team's salary cap/total do you figure goes to paying NI players ?

AngeloV
05-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Funny how the cliche went that NI O-linemen commanded huge CFL bucks - yet recent years reports had Rob Murphy and Ben Archibald types as the highest paid O-Linemen in the league. Who knows though - again, its all speculation so arguing about that stuff is just amusing.

Just what percentage of a CFL team's salary cap/total do you figure goes to paying NI players ?

The pay scale goes something like this:
Quality QB's
All stars
NI starters that make a difference
NI's starters that aren't better than any import would be
Everybody else.

OV Argo
05-12-2014, 08:08 PM
The pay scale goes something like this:
Quality QB's
All stars
NI starters that make a difference
NI's starters that aren't better than any import would be
Everybody else.

SO - what percentage of a team's salary total is paid to NIs?

Are you saying Patrick Watkins or Aaron Maybin or Steve Slaton types come up to the CFL for minimum CFL wage and that young NIs or back-up NIs make more ?

gilthethrill
05-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Oh, I duuno about that; Mann got way more playing time chances than Bauman, and Mann did put together one productive season for the Esks (and Bauman had a 100 yd. plus CFL play-off receiving game); Mann also dropped a ton of passes - wayyyyy more than Bauman (who got a bad rep for 2 glaring drops in one game early in his career) ever did. Both were average at their best and more like mediocre or poor = not starting calibre CFL receivers IMO - and Mann got wayyyyyyy more playing time opportunity to demonstrate that.

Mann may have dropped more passes than Bauman only because Bauman was never in the open. Hands down Mo Mann was a better player than a guy who had a single 100 yard effort in a playoff game over a 5 year career.

OV Argo
05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Mann may have dropped more passes than Bauman only because Bauman was never in the open. Hands down Mo Mann was a better player than a guy who had a single 100 yard effort in a playoff game over a 5 year career.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the "hands down" part; bottom line - Mann dropped wayyyy too many CFL passes in tons of CFL opportunity - he IMO was a stiff who got lots of playing time because of his birth certificate; Bauman did not get that same playing time opportunity; surely you can't be serious comparing a receiver who was a go-to or first 3 look type in a CFL receiving set stats' compared to a guy who was a 4th or 5th look or on the bench a lot of the time ?

ArgoGabe22
05-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Mann was a great downfield blocker and made some spectacular catches with EDM & HAM. I know that highlight reel plays don't mean much but I agree with Ravi and Gill, Mann is a much better receiver than Bauman.

KCargosfan
05-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Why would Arash Madani lie about salary numbers? Nothing to gain there.

As far as Slaton goes, it's probably either go to Canada and play for $55K-$60K or go get a real job like the rest of us. I know what I'd do.

Argo
05-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Brandon Isaac signed by Sask.

paulwoods13
05-20-2014, 09:21 PM
I hope Isaac makes the Roughriders just so we can lurk on Riderfans.com to see how Area51 twists himself in knots over "Corey's" decision to bring in the player he seems to despise more than anyone else (which is really saying something).

OV Argo
05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I hope Isaac makes the Roughriders just so we can lurk on Riderfans.com to see how Area51 twists himself in knots over "Corey's" decision to bring in the player he seems to despise more than anyone else (which is really saying something).

LOL. One Trick Pony may hate many players but i think any or most inferior, no talent NIs who are (somehow in his mind) threats to his hero/relative are his fave targets. How does One Trick keep resurfacing there - after being banned a few times i would guess ???

Riders lost LBs Craig Bulter and Abe Kromah this off-season; makes sense to bring in a vet LB to compete there.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8