PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp competitions

Argocister
05-15-2014, 12:04 AM
So there will be a variety of training camp competitions ..... we just drafted 2 RBs in the CFL draft ....

Then there's the QB comp....

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/05/14/5820715/former-tcu-qb-casey-pachall-headed.html

I like his percentage completions ..... and hate to dash his high hopes, but maybe we have another competition for back up

ArgoRavi
05-15-2014, 12:57 AM
So there will be a variety of training camp competitions ..... we just drafted 2 RBs in the CFL draft ....

Then there's the QB comp....

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/05/14/5820715/former-tcu-qb-casey-pachall-headed.html

I like his percentage completions ..... and hate to dash his high hopes, but maybe we have another competition for back up

If he thinks that he is going to be playing, other than during the preseason, he is in for a rude awakening.

paulwoods13
05-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Another QB named Casey P? Not sure my heart can take that.

Argo
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
I never had a problem with Casey Printers. An early bad decision based upon bad advice (shades of George Lazenby) and a late no-win situation in Hamiltoxic served to frame a very good athlete.

Argo
05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
If he thinks that he is going to be playing, other than during the preseason, he is in for a rude awakening.

The questions are: (1) who will win the backup QB job? (2) will QB Ray make it through an entire season without injury?

Will
05-15-2014, 09:23 AM
“I guess they don't think he has proved himself yet,” Stan Pachall said. “Some people think it’s funny that he is going to the CFL but he will be playing while most of the QBs drafted will be sitting the bench in the NFL. Casey is good with it and that’s all that matters. He knows what he has to do.”

I hope he son isn't as delusional as the father.

gilthethrill
05-15-2014, 09:55 AM
I am interested in seeing who takes the place of the departed Dontrelle Inman in the receiving core. I wonder if veteran Romby Bryant will stick.

AngeloV
05-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I am interested in seeing who takes the place of the departed Dontrelle Inman in the receiving core. I wonder if veteran Romby Bryant will stick.

I think he will. Plus John Childs will likely start camp on top of the depth chart. I think they'll be fine.

doubleblue
05-15-2014, 02:44 PM

They don't know much about the CFL down there. But he is a typical parent trying to let people know his Son will be playing and developing so some day he can come down to the NFL fully trained. :D

If he can beat out one of last year's 4th stringer's he will probably spend the first nine games on the injured list. Then depending on the health of the other guys he might get on the roster for a few games and then off and on the one game injured list the rest of the season.
Once he gets over the shock of all the motion and speed of the game he will find out the DB's in the CFL are better than most of the guys he was up against in the NCAA. Also the Defensive Line pass rush will be on him faster than what he was use to. That's why some of these guys turn tail and run for home after a couple of weeks.
Right now he is QB insurance going into rookie camp.

AngeloV
05-15-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm going to give him a pass on the ignorant comment by his father. I hope he turns into a diamond in the rough.

Will
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Chiles will be starting the season much higher on the depth chart. Durie, Owens and Barnes are still around as are the aforementioned Romby Bryant

gilthethrill
05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Chiles will be starting the season much higher on the depth chart. Durie, Owens and Barnes are still around as are the aforementioned Romby Bryant

Oh, just to clarify I already had Chiles at the top of the chart...with Inman gone, is there a newcomer that can replace his deep threat ability? I am not sure Darvin Adams is a deep threat according to his scouting report. Can Bryant still have speed at his age? Do any newcomers stand out?

ArgoRavi
05-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Two players who won't be part of any training camp competition are Kyle Koch and Demetrice Morley. Koch has retired while Morley has been released. I saw this item on the Argos' Twitter feed this morning.

argolio
05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm going to give him a pass on the ignorant comment by his father. I hope he turns into a diamond in the rough.Could be. He was a top recruit who was supposed to keep TCU a 10+ win team after Andy Dalton graduated, but he was kicked off the team numerous times due to alcohol. Hopefully he has conquered that problem.

gilthethrill
05-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Two players who won't be part of any training camp competition are Kyle Koch and Demetrice Morley. Koch has retired while Morley has been released. I saw this item on the Argos' Twitter feed this morning.

Good work Ravi, you could be the Argos version of Drew Edwards. Not too surprised by these developments. Morley could resurface in Edmonton with Chris Jones.

primetime1
05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if JB is busy searching the waiver wires in the NFL as this is the season where experienced (4 years and more) players are released to make room for the new draftees and young free agents. Hopefully, he can find one of these receivers that will come to training camp.

gilthethrill
05-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm going to give him a pass on the ignorant comment by his father. I hope he turns into a diamond in the rough.

I think his dad could be the next Michael Feterick....

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Oh, just to clarify I already had Chiles at the top of the chart...with Inman gone, is there a newcomer that can replace his deep threat ability? I am not sure Darvin Adams is a deep threat according to his scouting report. Can Bryant still have speed at his age? Do any newcomers stand out?

Adams maybe replacing Inman as an inside receiver? or would Chiles play inside with vet Romby Bryant at WR? An NI (Watt) at WR, or would they maybe go 2 import WRs (say Chiles & Bryant), and maybe 4 of the 5 pack starters as imports? OTOH - they could maybe go with 3 starting NIs there: Duire, Watt, maybe Bradswell or draft pick Psczonzak (believe he was an all-star slotback in CIS ball - hope he gets a lot of reps/looks in TC).

Receiver is a very interesting position group to watch for this TC IMO - should be lots of good competition with a number of veterans (Jason Barnes still there too), but a new or young guy could emerge - as Chiles did last season.

ArgoRavi
05-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Adams maybe replacing Inman as an inside receiver? or would Chiles play inside with vet Romby Bryant at WR? An NI (Watt) at WR, or would they maybe go 2 import WRs (say Chiles & Bryant), and maybe 4 of the 5 pack starters as imports? OTOH - they could maybe go with 3 starting NIs there: Duire, Watt, maybe Bradswell or draft pick Psczonzak (believe he was an all-star slotback in CIS ball - hope he gets a lot of reps/looks in TC).

Receiver is a very interesting position group to watch for this TC IMO - should be lots of good competition with a number of veterans (Jason Barnes still there too), but a new or young guy could emerge - as Chiles did last season.

Another non-import to watch could be Natey Adjei who reportedly impressed during mini-camp and, of course, who knows where Anthony Coombs will line up although he could see some time at slotback. Receiver is certainly not a position of weakness for this football team.

AngeloV
05-16-2014, 06:13 PM
I think his dad could be the next Michael Feterick....

You mean he might buy the team? Hey, maybe he'll build a stadium in Vaughn or Markham. :D

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 07:17 PM

I guess his dad figured the guy is so good and that going to the lowly CFL he would be handed the starting QB job and light up the league; be interesting to hear daddy's reaction when he finds out his son is not even close to starting or gets cut.

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 07:26 PM
D-backfield: area of big competition too with possibilty of a bunch of new starters? - one of or a combo of Black/Gabriel at safety i guess, and then ? - some NFL experienced guys signed like Underwood who played in the NFL; holdovers from last year to be starters ?

Linebacker - Emry at MLB, then at OLB - i like Horton for his good play-making on D last year but can he start at OLB? ; also have hopes for NFL vet Matt Ware to pick-up the CFL game and maybe play OLB.

D-Line: i Hope Cleon Laing continues to improve and hold down a DT spot; maybe NFL vet Thomas at another DT spot; hope draft pick Kirby Fletcher can show well to make the roster - as a solid back-up or maybe plays some in a rotation; DE - Maybin gone; Horton unlikely to play there with Burke at DC; a bunch of new guys will be battling for a job, and some with good resumes; Ivan Brown played some last year but was ordinary at best IMO - wish the Argos had drafted a DE to compete (instead of taking another O-lineman like Dhillon). Lots of competition needed at D-Line.

gilthethrill
05-16-2014, 08:09 PM
D-backfield: area of big competition too with possibilty of a bunch of new starters? - one of or a combo of Black/Gabriel at safety i guess, and then ? - some NFL experienced guys signed like Underwood who played in the NFL; holdovers from last year to be starters ?

Linebacker - Emry at MLB, then at OLB - i like Horton for his good play-making on D last year but can he start at OLB? ; also have hopes for NFL vet Matt Ware to pick-up the CFL game and maybe play OLB.

D-Line: i Hope Cleon Laing continues to improve and hold down a DT spot; maybe NFL vet Thomas at another DT spot; hope draft pick Kirby Fletcher can show well to make the roster - as a solid back-up or maybe plays some in a rotation; DE - Maybin gone; Horton unlikely to play there with Burke at DC; a bunch of new guys will be battling for a job, and some with good resumes; Ivan Brown played some last year but was ordinary at best IMO - wish the Argos had drafted a DE to compete (instead of taking another O-lineman like Dhillon). Lots of competition needed at D-Line.

OV, I thought I read somewhere Fletcher is going to be converted to the O-Line....I really like Horton as Balls replacement, be seems like a natural play maker.

gilthethrill
05-16-2014, 08:10 PM
You mean he might buy the team? Hey, maybe he'll build a stadium in Vaughn or Markham. :D

No AV....his son should be the starting qb....I have no insight on the fathers finances.

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 08:17 PM
OV, I thought I read somewhere Fletcher is going to be converted to the O-Line....I really like Horton as Balls replacement, be seems like a natural play maker.

Wouldn't surprise me re Fletcher = dumb-@$$ CFL thinking - how many long-range project, back-up NI O-Lineman do the Argos need, and when they are lacking at D-Line (Fletcher has been a CIS all-star DT) ???

Argocister
05-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Is there a scenario where Burke could play both Gabriel and Black?

OV Argo
05-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Is there a scenario where Burke could play both Gabriel and Black?

Sure - Gabriel starts at safety and Black gets a real shot to win a starting corner job - his natural position plus he has lots of CFL D experience now - unlikely though IMO.

Argo
05-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Sure - Gabriel starts at safety and Black gets a real shot to win a starting corner job - his natural position plus he has lots of CFL D experience now - unlikely though IMO.

Isn't Black the Elder (particularly) too short to start at CB? Methinks that today's very tall, athletic WRs would easily exploit their advantage.

Wobbler
05-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Not too surprised by these developments.
You must be better informed than I am - I was surprised that Koch retired. He's only 29, and was (IMHO) a fairly important backup. Koch was our only plausible backup at center, and could have come in at guard as well. I doubt we told him that he was unlikely to make the team.

We no longer have a single non-import natural interior lineman on the roster, which is kinda weird.

ArgoRavi
05-27-2014, 11:46 PM
According to Frank Zicarelli, Jerious Norwood has retired: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/27/argonauts-have-plenty-of-roster-spots-to-fill

I had said a few weeks ago on here that I wasn't sure that the Argos would bring Norwood back anyway given his age but it looks like Norwood made the decision for them.

gilthethrill
05-28-2014, 08:19 AM
According to Frank Zicarelli, Jerious Norwood has retired: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/27/argonauts-have-plenty-of-roster-spots-to-fill

I had said a few weeks ago on here that I wasn't sure that the Argos would bring Norwood back anyway given his age but it looks like Norwood made the decision for them.

No Ravi, there is more to this story than we are led to believe. Last week DE Ezra Butler retired as well. I suspect OV is calling these players impersonating GM Jim Barker. He tells them the Argos are going to field an all non-import lineup this season.

As for AV's comments on Ziccarelli....I agree.

bluto
05-28-2014, 06:16 PM
anyone else think that some veteran players might feel a bit uneasy about import rookies at camps impressing coaches with no veterans around? this could light a fire under the CBA negotiations.

gilthethrill
05-28-2014, 07:49 PM
I noticed a plethora of new names on the roster. D-line is certainly not short of players auditioning for jobs.

ArgoRavi
05-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Milanovich seemed to be in a very good mood on Wednesday: http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/96413

OV will be happy to hear that Stefan Ptaszek is a guest coach although he may not be happy to hear the role that Milanovich has in mind for Brendan Gillanders.

Wobbler
05-29-2014, 12:52 AM
"Maybe some time at FB" seems like a pretty fair assessment. Please surprise us all, BG!

1argoholic
05-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Well here we go with all of the excitement, surprises and let downs that training camp brings. Hopefully we have filled the massive holes with guys who pick up the game quickly and don't disappoint.
I know I'm going to hear plenty from my mom through the year as she watches and doesn't know who the hell is who. She took me to my first game some 44 or 45 years ago.

jerrym
05-29-2014, 10:23 AM

I am not surprised that Norwood has retired. While he impressed with his running style when healthy, he was injured a lot and increasingly so as the season wore on. The last thing the Argos need is another running back with a high propensity to injury.

gilthethrill
05-29-2014, 12:43 PM
According to the Argo website DL Marcus Thomas, who arrived around the same time as Aaron Maybin, has also decided to retire from professional football.

bluto
05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
random question:

does anyone recall the name of the game that the players used to play after practice with the beachball and the bat? or how the game went? (or is this just something i made up in my mind and convinced myself is a real thing...)

argotom
05-29-2014, 10:57 PM
I never had a problem with Casey Printers. An early bad decision based upon bad advice (shades of George Lazenby) and a late no-win situation in Hamiltoxic served to frame a very good athlete.

I agree with you.
Always thought he got a bum rap.
With the right mentor type QB coach, he could have lasted a lot longer in this league.

Stevoman
05-29-2014, 11:58 PM
I saw that Robert McCune is a guest coach with the Stampeders. I guess he has retired?

random question:

does anyone recall the name of the game that the players used to play after practice with the beachball and the bat? or how the game went? (or is this just something i made up in my mind and convinced myself is a real thing...)

Hmmm, I remember that. It was in the Adrion Smith, Rich Stubler days...don't remember the name of it though.

doubleblue
05-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Took in some of the Day 2 Rookie Camp. Some good new guys brought in by Jim Barker but some of these guys start to fade when the Vets come in. I like our QB's. But it is going to be difficult to keep them all again. The new guy Paschall has a pretty good arm but I can't see him being more than number 4 on the depth chart. He's more of a NFL type.
At RB with Chad Kackert being somewhat uncertain health wise the two former NFLers Steve Slaton and Jeremiah Johnson will be watched closely. I like Johnson for his size and ability. He just looks like a RB. But time will tell. #1 pick Coombes doesn't look out of place but he doesn't look to be the 200 lbs he's listed at. They have to be looking at him as a back-up for Durie and Owens. Too small to be a everydown RB IMO.
I don't think there will be any receivers from this group replacing any of the vets unless by injury. Canadian Natey Adjei doesn't look out of place. Darvin Adams and Andre Snipes-Booker maybe the best imports.
Matt Sewell definitely has all the physical tools to be a top O-Lineman, but I expect they will bring him along slow to start with.
I will be watching DE PaiPai Falemalu in the Ex games as he looks like he could be the pass rusher the Argos have been lacking. But I wouldn't say he is the second coming of Junior Ah You just yet.
Rookie kicker Josh Jasper seems to have a good leg and will probably be kept around to back up Waters.
To early tell about the new DB's. Some of them will have to make the starting lineup as there aren't many returnees. They have a few new guys with some size though.

Wobbler
05-30-2014, 01:32 AM
It's nice that someone could make it to camp; thanks for the report db.

Someone (I think it was Hogan) asked Milanovich whether we'd carry as many QBs this year since we no longer have to worry about losing one in an expansion draft. I think that's a fair point - we'll probably only want to keep four of the five.

paulwoods13
05-30-2014, 07:43 AM
I agree with you.
Always thought he got a bum rap.
With the right mentor type QB coach, he could have lasted a lot longer in this league.

I don't disagree he had more potential than he was able to realize. To be fair, tho, he had the exact same QB coach as Dave Dickenson and Travis Lulay had at various points during his career. Coaching didn't seem to be an issue with them.

gilthethrill
05-30-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't disagree he had more potential than he was able to realize. To be fair, tho, he had the exact same QB coach as Dave Dickenson and Travis Lulay had at various points during his career. Coaching didn't seem to be an issue with them.

Printers never seemed to recover from being benched in favour of Dickenson in the 2004 Grey Cup. Tough decision for Wally to have to make.

doubleblue
05-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Something I noticed yesterday about the Argo Coaches, except for Creehan, was the low key demeanor of most of them. Most training camps Coaches are loud and profane trying to show everybody how smart they are etc. The practice ran smoothly with groups going from station to station every 10 minutes or so. Coaches correcting and encouraging without a lot of ridicule. I know there will a time and a place for Milanovich to make a statement to someone, but I liked what I saw yesterday. My idea of what a Coach should be.

gilthethrill
05-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Something I noticed yesterday about the Argo Coaches, except for Creehan, was the low key demeanor of most of them. Most training camps Coaches are loud and profane trying to show everybody how smart they are etc. The practice ran smoothly with groups going from station to station every 10 minutes or so. Coaches correcting and encouraging without a lot of ridicule. I know there will a time and a place for Milanovich to make a statement to someone, but I liked what I saw yesterday. My idea of what a Coach should be.

How did newcomer Padric Scott look? With Marcus Thomas retiring, & Mitchell being released to pursue NFL opportunities, a large body or two are required in the middle of the d-line.

ArgoRavi
05-30-2014, 11:35 AM
I saw that Robert McCune is a guest coach with the Stampeders. I guess he has retired?

Willie Pile is a guest coach for the B.C. Lions.

doubleblue
05-30-2014, 11:36 AM
How did newcomer Padric Scott look? With Marcus Thomas retiring, & Mitchell being released to pursue NFL opportunities, a large body or two are required in the middle of the d-line.

Looked short and compact (I think he's listed at 6'0 300) but has quick feet. He could be a force on the inside. Those sort of bull rushing guys are hard to block. But these new players are just going up against Canadian rookies except for newcomer Lewis (who doesn't look 6'3 as listed). Lewis looks more like a Guard. Teams seem to like those long tall Tackles. Sewell looks the part that's for sure.

Didn't know about Thomas retiring until yesterday. He was only average IMO anyway. Burke wants pressure and it looks like Barker has brought those type of DL's instead of the run stoppers.

gilthethrill
05-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks doubleblue...look forward to more reports.

Argocister
06-06-2014, 06:36 PM
So this article was posted today .....

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/05/strong-chance-horton-goes-to-weak-side-for-argonauts

So if Horton is at WIL .... who else is practising in this position? Filling Balls shoes is a big chore, but has anyone other options? (I'm depending on the football gurus here :))

OV Argo
06-06-2014, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Argocister;46950]So this article was posted today .....

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/05/strong-chance-horton-goes-to-weak-side-for-argonauts

So if Horton is at WIL .... who else is practising in this position? Filling Balls shoes is a big chore, but has anyone other options? (I'm depending on the football gurus here :))[/QUOTE

Horton and Matt Ware (lots of NFL experience, but as a DB, but good size = CFL tweener) at OLB; with Emry at MLB.

D-Line (DEs in particular), plus numerous spots in the D-backfield = need for some guys to step-up and not much CFL experience.

D still a huge area of concern IMO - hopefully Burke can mold a strong group.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8