View Full Version : Camp opens in a week - who are you rooting for?

Wobbler
05-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Obviously we're all hoping that there are several surprisingly good performances, no one gets hurt, and that the 2014 squad looks strong. But if you had to pick one guy to have a terrific camp, who would it be?

For me, it's Matt Sewell. I'm hoping they give him a serious look at left tackle, where he played at Mac, rather than trying to convert him to a RT. I think this is realistic, actually; we already have a long list of RT candidates. My hope is that Sewell is so strong in camp that he wins the starting job at LT and the ratio becomes totally irrelevant. The last time we went with an all non-import OL (which didn't last) it was Smith/Gagne-Marcoux/Keeping/Eppele/Van Zeyl, but I think Sewell/Holmes/Keeping/Mitchell/Van Zeyl could be quite good.

OV Argo
05-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Obviously we're all hoping that there are several surprisingly good performances, no one gets hurt, and that the 2014 squad looks strong. But if you had to pick one guy to have a terrific camp, who would it be?

For me, it's Matt Sewell. I'm hoping they give him a serious look at left tackle, where he played at Mac, rather than trying to convert him to a RT. I think this is realistic, actually; we already have a long list of RT candidates. My hope is that Sewell is so strong in camp that he wins the starting job at LT and the ratio becomes totally irrelevant. The last time we went with an all non-import OL (which didn't last) it was Smith/Gagne-Marcoux/Keeping/Eppele/Van Zeyl, but I think Sewell/Holmes/Keeping/Mitchell/Van Zeyl could be quite good.

Yeah - love to see Sewell do well. but i highly doubt he is a starting OT as a rookie - maybe though; really liked Jerriel King at OT last season - thought he was outstanding some of the time and hope he can continue that play - King & Van Zeyl as the starting OTs with Sewell as the back-up; Tyler Holmes was a good OT in college ball too and so was Scott Mitchell but they may be both pencilled in at guard?; an all NI O_line might be nice, but not just for the sake of it.

Looking forward to the TC competition on D - lots of spots up for grabs and be interesting to see if NFL vets like Ware & Underwood step-it up. Impact DEs needed. Also be interesting to see where top draft pick Coombs can fit in - tailback, receiver, returner ? - maybe a bit of all 3; who will emerge as the starting tailback with Kackert on the mend? - liked Norwood last year, but can Slaton show lots of stuff for the CFL?

IF i had to name one guy i have high hopes for - might be DE Aston Whiteside - a bit of NFL roster experience but also an outstanding college ball D play-making resume - could be the pass rush force the D needs.

marcwagz
05-21-2014, 11:25 PM
I love to see our high draft picks do well.
Cleon Laing, Matt Sewell, Tyler Holmes, and hopefully newly acquired Anthony Coombs make the team.

Rich
05-21-2014, 11:38 PM
IF i had to name one guy i have high hopes for - might be DE Aston Whiteside - a bit of NFL roster experience but also an outstanding college ball D play-making resume - could be the pass rush force the D needs.

And they just signed a guy from Pitt, former 6th rounder, Romeus, 6'5", 280, showing promise for DE. I'm not all that worried about the D Line, the talent will be there. I'm also looking for a breakout season from Cleyon.

And is there anyone who isn't pumped about watching Slaton and Coombs in the backfield? I mean, C'mon man. And I'm also looking for Darvin Adams to rip it up downfield.

Wobbler
05-22-2014, 01:35 AM
If Romeus is really that heavy I think we'll try him inside. Our roster shows him at 265 (267 at NFL.com), though.

1argoholic
05-22-2014, 07:23 AM
I always cheer for the young Canadians to hold their own. I'm excited to see if Slaton is healthy and has the form he displayed in College. This guy was so much fun to watch. Coombs should be a blast to see as well.

We always get the surprises every year. The guy who can't fail that does or the long shot who turns out to surprise. Fun times.

paulwoods13
05-22-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm rooting for the PA and the league to sort things out so camps open on time with a new CBA (but I'm sure not holding my breath). I don't want to get my hopes up about specific players until we know we might actually see them.

bluto
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm rooting for the PA and the league to sort things out so camps open on time with a new CBA (but I'm sure not holding my breath). I don't want to get my hopes up about specific players until we know we might actually see them.

i get the feeling that veteran players might not mind an abbreviated training camp...

Will
05-23-2014, 02:57 PM
I am rooting for someone, anyone, on the defensive side of the ball to help quench the serious pessimism I have about that side of the ball going into the season.

Argo
05-23-2014, 06:14 PM
I am rooting for someone, anyone, on the defensive side of the ball to help quench the serious pessimism I have about that side of the ball going into the season.

I feel generally optimistic about the D, and believe that it will probably be significantly better, and more consistent, than it was last season.

Argo57
05-23-2014, 06:23 PM

I hear ya, much more optimism for our D this season compared to a year ago, new coach (perhaps with less ego), new system and more experienced D talent coming to camp!

OV Argo
05-23-2014, 08:57 PM
I hear ya, much more optimism for our D this season compared to a year ago, new coach (perhaps with less ego), new system and more experienced D talent coming to camp!

Not so sure about the more "experienced D talent coming to camp" part? - unless you meant some NFL experienced guys?

Losses like K. Mitchell, Marcus Ball, David Lee, Patrick Watkins all had at least a couple of years CFL experience; Emry was added and he has plenty of CFL experience but he will be replacing a very experienced MLB in McCune, so maybe a wash there. But young guys from last year's D have some more experience now, so maybe that helps.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this year's D can be strong - proven DC in Burke and some good looking new recruits, but still - a very CFL inexperienced, at best, group will likely be fielded (Emry the only guy with 3 + years CFL starting experience?) = pretty decent cause for concern, IMO. Pretty different from Ds that had the likes of O'Shea, Eiben, Younger, Cantor, Steinauer types helping lead the way with vet smarts.

AngeloV
05-23-2014, 11:43 PM
new coach (perhaps with less ego),

LOL...other than the Don, who doesn't have less ego?

Argo57
05-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Not so sure about the more "experienced D talent coming to camp" part? - unless you meant some NFL experienced guys?

Losses like K. Mitchell, Marcus Ball, David Lee, Patrick Watkins all had at least a couple of years CFL experience; Emry was added and he has plenty of CFL experience but he will be replacing a very experienced MLB in McCune, so maybe a wash there. But young guys from last year's D have some more experience now, so maybe that helps.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this year's D can be strong - proven DC in Burke and some good looking new recruits, but still - a very CFL inexperienced, at best, group will likely be fielded (Emry the only guy with 3 + years CFL starting experience?) = pretty decent cause for concern, IMO. Pretty different from Ds that had the likes of O'Shea, Eiben, Younger, Cantor, Steinauer types helping lead the way with vet smarts.

That's exactly what I meant, more NFL experienced guys coming to camp who may be more in tune with playing pro football.
Should in turn be able to adjust to the Canadian game.

Argo57
05-24-2014, 12:36 AM
LOL...other than the Don, who doesn't have less ego?

True Angelo.
Buddy of mine who knows several of the Argonauts D players from the last couple of years says many of the players didn't like playing for Jones.
Sure we will take the Grey Cup win but eventually guys leave or start to "tune out" the message.

Rich
05-24-2014, 12:46 AM
True Angelo.
Buddy of mine who knows several of the Argonauts D players from the last couple of years says many of the players didn't like playing for Jones.
Sure we will take the Grey Cup win but eventually guys leave or start to "tune out" the message.

Unfortunately they all tuned out at halftime of the Eastern Final. That showed him.

Argo57
05-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Unfortunately they all tuned out at halftime of the Eastern Final. That showed him.

And us unfortunate Argo fans who had to sit through that 2nd half shite show as well.

Will
05-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Pat Watkins evidently liked playing for Jones.

Argo57
05-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Pat Watkins evidently liked playing for Jones.

As I said "many" of the players didn't like playing for Jones.

jerrym
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Anthony Coombs in training camp and during the season. While it is likely that he will start out running back kicks and punts, his speed and shiftiness have the potential to make him an outstanding receiver or running back in the future.

Wobbler
05-25-2014, 06:17 PM
If I get a second choice, I'll choose PaiPai Falemalu. His name is even more awesome than Adrian Awasom's, and it would be terrific if we had an effective outside pass rusher this year.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8