PDA

View Full Version : Is Centre St Deli good?

1argoholic
05-23-2014, 02:20 PM
I think I brought the topic of Jewish Deli's up before but I'd like to try this one out. I drove my wife to Pearson last night along Hwy 7 so I could hit Nova European Deli on Langstaff near Weston Rd. It was a killer little deli/store for my needs. Great baked cheesecake etc.

Next week I'd like to stop at Center St if it's good.

Just found out that I have distant Jewish roots thanks to a genetic DNA test. Ukie, Belorus, touch of Middle Eastern, Jewish, etc. Cool stuff as my cousin who's big into this keeps digging deeper for me. Jewish Tribes which was a new term for me.

I come by my love of ethnic foods honestly.

Thanks.

Will
05-23-2014, 02:55 PM
I have been eating at Centre Street Deli since it opened in 1988 and have lived within walking distance of the restaurant since 1989. One owner of the restaurant is the daughter of the owner of Snowdon Deli in Montreal, which if one of the better delis there, and the other owner worked at Snowdon Deli where, in fact, his brother still works. Their specialty is Smoked Meat and while it doesn't quite line up with some of the best delis in Montreal (don't waste your time at Schwartz's because it is crap) it is still very, very good and the best in Toronto. I would recommend the medium-fat sandwich, old fashioned. It has a bit of a kick and the fat adds a nice flavor to it. You can get lean if your health conscious, but your very presence at the deli precludes health conscious anyways. It is worth the trip.

1argoholic
05-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Very good news that it's good eats. I pick my wife up at Pearson next Friday at 4pm and that will be our stop for eats.

I've been meaning to get to Switzer's Deli on Torbram near the airport in Mississauga but the hours have never worked. My folks used to take me to their Spadina location when I was a young kid. We never knew that they moved to Mississauga. We thought that they just closed down for good. I happened to do a google search for kicks a few years back and to my surprise the same family still owns it and moved it way back then. It was always good.

Thanks!

ArgoGabe22
05-23-2014, 03:18 PM
The Main is my go to spot in Montreal. Thanks for the heads up, all of the smoked meat joints near Mississauga use the industrialized stuff.

Will
05-23-2014, 03:19 PM
The Main is my go to spot in Montreal. Thanks for the heads up, all of the smoked meat joints near Mississauga use the industrialized stuff.

The Main is very good. I was there on Sunday.

Argo57
05-23-2014, 06:33 PM
I think I brought the topic of Jewish Deli's up before but I'd like to try this one out. I drove my wife to Pearson last night along Hwy 7 so I could hit Nova European Deli on Langstaff near Weston Rd. It was a killer little deli/store for my needs. Great baked cheesecake etc.

Next week I'd like to stop at Center St if it's good.

Just found out that I have distant Jewish roots thanks to a genetic DNA test. Ukie, Belorus, touch of Middle Eastern, Jewish, etc. Cool stuff as my cousin who's big into this keeps digging deeper for me. Jewish Tribes which was a new term for me.

I come by my love of ethnic foods honestly.

Thanks.

Centre St is one of the better ones around, when I travel to Montreal I always go to "Pete's Meat" probably the best I've had.

1argoholic
05-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Industrialized Stuff? As in processed at some big arsed factory somewhere? Not sure Switzers did that but I can't speak for now.

Montreal Deli on Dundas in Mississauga used to be great but I heard they were bought by a new owner a few years back.

Pete's Meat. haha. Argo57, You need to get the t-shirt, I had Pete's Meat In Montreal.hahaha.

ArgoGabe22
05-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Montreal Deli and Peter's on Eglington just use Lester's Smoked Meat instead of actually making their own.

1argoholic
05-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Montreal Deli used to do their own before the switch of ownership.

Argo57
05-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Industrialized Stuff? As in processed at some big arsed factory somewhere? Not sure Switzers did that but I can't speak for now.

Montreal Deli on Dundas in Mississauga used to be great but I heard they were bought by a new owner a few years back.

Pete's Meat. haha. Argo57, You need to get the t-shirt, I had Pete's Meat In Montreal.hahaha.

The shirt is a beauty for sure!!

AngeloV
05-25-2014, 09:38 PM
I have driven by there so many times and have never gone in. Kind of sad when you consider I live in Thornhill. I guess I have always been a Pickle Barrel guy (the original one on Leslie Street between Finch and Steeles as I grew up down the street from there). I think once the cast comes off my leg, I will be trying it out.

While I'm at it, any of the older members on here remember Charlie C's?

Will
05-26-2014, 10:32 AM
I don't really consider the Pickle Barrel a deli anymore. It may have been at one time, but they've expanded into other parts of the GTA and diversified their menu significantly. The locations at Promenade, Leslie & Cummer (to still refer to this area as Jewish would be a stretch), Centrepoint, Yorkdale and Yonge & Eglinton may still include Jewish fare on their menu, but it is no longer the focus.

argonaut11xx
05-26-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't really consider the Pickle Barrel a deli anymore. It may have been at one time, but they've expanded into other parts of the GTA and diversified their menu significantly. The locations at Promenade, Leslie & Cummer (to still refer to this area as Jewish would be a stretch), Centrepoint, Yorkdale and Yonge & Eglinton may still include Jewish fare on their menu, but it is no longer the focus.

OK..probably stating the OBVIOUS...but i love Katz Deli on Dufferin...and downtown there used to be a place called "Ginsburg and Wongs"..its was pretty cool as well....

Being in BC, now about 2 years, i have only found 1 place that makes a decent sandwich...Estrella's in langley...but they dont have a good hot mustard.

Is it wrong to want Keen's hot mustard on a good fatty(or medium) smoked meat,pastrami, or corned beef on rye?

Argo57
05-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Nope, not wrong at all!!
Katz Deli is up there as well.
Also looking for a great dog go to Big Franks in Downsview, cured meat rules!!!

argonaut11xx
05-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Nope, not wrong at all!!
Katz Deli is up there as well.
Also looking for a great dog go to Big Franks in Downsview, cured meat rules!!!

"Thin may be IN...but fat's where its at "

Argo57
05-26-2014, 07:16 PM
"Thin may be IN...but fat's where its at "

Only live once, might as well enjoy.

1argoholic
05-26-2014, 07:17 PM
I have a Keens Mustard tin holding my pens beside the computer. I love mustard and just bought my favorite brand at Nova European Deli on Langstaff on Thursday. Has a drawing of a little Polish lady on the jar. Oh killer European wieners as well. Have to stop on the way to Pearson on Friday.

BC wasn't the greatest for deli. Hell the only thing I miss is Victoria. One cool little city.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8