PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Observations/Tidbits

Will
06-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Perhaps we can sticky this?

I just got back from the first day of practice. I didn't stay the whole day because I was bored.

Curtis Steele was taking first team reps at RB.
That CIS draft pick from Windsor Evan Pszczonak is pretty fast.
The Argos have brought in a few smallish receivers (Chad Owens sized), intriguing to see if they make the team and how they are used.
Defenders struggled on one-on-ones but recovered towards end of first practice.
Johnnie Dixon played a few games for the Argos in 2012 did he not? He is in camp.

That's all for now.

ArgoGabe22
06-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Didn't Johnnie Dixon retire last year due to an injury just before camp. Or was that someone else? Anyways he did play in the last few games of 2012.

Will
06-01-2014, 11:06 AM
It's the same guy.

1argoholic
06-01-2014, 12:09 PM
I guess they brought him back last week. I thought he played well the few games he did.

ArgoRavi
06-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Dixon played one game for the Argos in 2012 which was the regular season finale against Hamilton. He made a strong impression as he played very well that night. He was injured at some point last off-season and the Argos placed him on the suspended list, I believe. I noticed on the transactions wire the other day that they had "re-activated" him.

jerrym
06-01-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't remember all one game Argos but I do remember Dixon as he impressed me. I'm glad to see him back and think he could be a positive contributor to the Argo defence but with only two pregames and plenty of players to try out, sometimes even good guys get cut.

Will
06-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Tempo, tempo, tempo the theme at day 2 (http://argonauts.ca/article/training-camp-blog-day-2) of camp.

Wobbler
06-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure that Barnes' roster spot is secure. He's experienced and is one of our tallest receivers, but we might find someone younger/cheaper and equally capable. Mind you, most of this year's recruits are little guys; Stroud and Adams are probably the only real candidates to do what Barnes does.

Will
06-02-2014, 06:10 PM
I figured he was more or less safe because Ricky likes him as a redzone target. Wasn't he 2nd on the team in receiving TD's last year?

ArgoRavi
06-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Tempo, tempo, tempo the theme at day 2 (http://argonauts.ca/article/training-camp-blog-day-2) of camp.

It sounds, from the video clip that is referenced in this blog, that Anthony Coombs is very much in the mix at tailback.

Argocister
06-02-2014, 11:50 PM
It sounds, from the video clip that is referenced in this blog, that Anthony Coombs is very much in the mix at tailback.

Nice.... I'd like to see him earning a spot..... Not necessarily right away, but in the mix regularly.

D-Gap-Willie
06-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Any word on any no-shows at training camp ?

ArgoGabe22
06-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I was on campus and watched the very end of the 2nd practice which ended early so I didn't see much. Red Zone offence looked really good, scoring on most of their plays, with one drop in the end zone by Adams after a perfectly thrown corner route by Harris.

Harris was the backup and looked very good, much improved from last year IMO. If he continues with what I saw from him then I expect him to be behind Ray for the season. Portis seems to the 4th string behind Gale.

Robert Gill took a lot of reps with Barnes, Chiles, Owens. I think Barnes will be okay, but perhaps Romby Bryant will be pushed out. Looks like Ezra Millington was injured.

mchesher03
06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
My biggest concern heading into camp isn’t the offence – it’s the defence. Specifically the D-Line. We’ve lost Khalif Mitchell, David Lee and Johnathon Williams from last year and whiffed on signing Ted Laurent - what are we looking at their this year?</SPAN>

Rich
06-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Robert Gill took a lot of reps with Barnes, Chiles, Owens.

Gill's a tantalizing prospect. We haven't had a WR with breakaway speed since RJ Soward. I can just imagine this guy running under Ricky's rainbow bombs. His speed could really stretch a defence and help open up some stuff underneath.

bluto
06-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Soward was only marginally faster than Chiles.

Will
06-03-2014, 02:02 PM
My biggest concern heading into camp isn’t the offence – it’s the defence. Specifically the D-Line. We’ve lost Khalif Mitchell, David Lee and Johnathon Williams from last year and whiffed on signing Ted Laurent - what are we looking at their this year?

Cleyon Laing and Kiante Tripp are sure to feature in the discussion. Ivan Brown is still on the roster. After that, however, it's very much a toss-up.

Rich
06-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Soward was only marginally faster than Chiles.

Gill runs a 4.28 40, who was the last Argo WR with that kind of speed?

Wobbler
06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
This article (http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/NFL-Path-Anything-But-Speedy-For-Robert-Gill/f5627140-e8ab-4355-8a52-e7592f50ae38) mentions that Hamilton signed Gill back in 2009. I hope he performs better for us than he did for them.

Will
06-03-2014, 11:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FitsCrf0CAo

OV Argo
06-03-2014, 11:19 PM

Source? - electronic or hand-held time? Claims of sub 4.3 forties are IMO hard to believe.

Wobbler
06-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Whether or not RG ran a legit 4.19 (as has been asserted) doesn't really matter. He's fast.

Can he be a starting receiver in the CFL?

Will
06-03-2014, 11:49 PM
He caught my eye during practice, FWIW, but the Argos already have a solid receiving corps. Keep in mind that we'll be seeking an Inman replacement, but doesn't Chiles already fill that role?

paulwoods13
06-04-2014, 09:13 AM
He caught my eye during practice, FWIW, but the Argos already have a solid receiving corps. Keep in mind that we'll be seeking an Inman replacement, but doesn't Chiles already fill that role?

Chiles and Inman played together in some games last season, IIRC, so we still need a replacement for the latter.

gilthethrill
06-04-2014, 09:21 AM
This article (http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/NFL-Path-Anything-But-Speedy-For-Robert-Gill/f5627140-e8ab-4355-8a52-e7592f50ae38) mentions that Hamilton signed Gill back in 2009. I hope he performs better for us than he did for them.

The scout in the article named Danton Barto was a LB for the Memphis Mad Dawgs, he had the best name in the CFL that season. Gill excites me as a return man along with Bradon Smith who did well in that role in the season finale last year against Montreal.

D-Gap-Willie
06-04-2014, 10:35 AM
He already has. He was cut before training camp by the Ti-Cats. It doesn't mean much, but at least he made it to training camp for us.

Wobbler
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Zicarelli likes Thaddeus Gibson (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/04/new-argo-gibson-looks-great)

I think Gibson is the first 2014 recruit described as a "revelation", which sounds promising. Hopefully we can find a revelation or two in the secondary as well.

ArgoZ
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Source? - electronic or hand-held time? Claims of sub 4.3 forties are IMO hard to believe.

Since the inception of electronic timing, the fastest has been 4.24, which makes any less questionable, but not impossible I guess. Ismail was considered 4.20 in college and once clocked in a 4.18, which I know is hard to believe. I recommend for anyone to watch his college highlights on YouTube. Incredible stuff. I truly believe he was the fastest player ever, AFTER the pads were put on.

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Coombs got most of the reps in the 1st practice, with Steele taking over for the 2nd practice. I think Coombs will get a real shot at RB. I was impressed with his speed and with his hands.

Argos recievers are all speed guys with the exception to Bradwell and maybe Bryant and Adams. In 1 on 1s, every receiver blew their defender away. Adjei and Gill are quick so either they're really fast or our DBs are just slow. I am not impressed with anyone in the secondary. Carter was the only DB who seemed to keep up.

In the 7 on 7, the offence had 23 straight completions with all 5 QBs hitting their targets. Defence had no INTs or knockdowns until the 2nd practice of the day.

Key injuries to note - SirVincent Rogers, Wayne Smith and Spencer Watt.

Wobbler
06-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Have you noticed where Sewell is lining up, Gabe? Ditto for Holmes, actually; I wonder if he'll ever get a look at tackle.

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Looked like Holmes was at guard and Sewell at tackle

Wobbler
06-05-2014, 05:07 PM
For Sewell, I meant LT or RT.

ArgoGabe22
06-05-2014, 05:20 PM
For Sewell, I meant LT or RT.

Sewell was at LT. I'll confirm tomorrow at the mock game, which should be easier to see with less players in the way, blocking my view.

Wobbler
06-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks. And thanks for the other info as well!

OV Argo
06-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Looked like Holmes was at guard and Sewell at tackle

If Holmes is at OG, Keeping at C, King & Van Zeyl at OT, who is the other starting OG? - i thought the Argos had the makings of a deep and experienced O-Line, but the departures of Koch and Mitchell are disappointing and perhaps troubling. Maybe Van Zeyl goes to guard and they go with 2 import OTs, with Sewell the main back-up OT? Or does vet Wayne Smith still have some gas in the tank to start at guard?

ArgoRavi
06-05-2014, 08:41 PM
If Holmes is at OG, Keeping at C, King & Van Zeyl at OT, who is the other starting OG? - i thought the Argos had the makings of a deep and experienced O-Line, but the departures of Koch and Mitchell are disappointing and perhaps troubling. Maybe Van Zeyl goes to guard and they go with 2 import OTs, with Sewell the main back-up OT? Or does vet Wayne Smith still have some gas in the tank to start at guard?

I believe that we will see King starting at one of the tackle positions with Van Zeyl and Holmes at guard and Keeping at centre. I think that the Argos would love to start Sewell at the other tackle position and go with four Canadian starters. Barker has said that the ultimate goal is to start five Canadians along the offensive line but they may be a year or two away from that yet. The release of Mitchell was certainly disappointing.

paulwoods13
06-05-2014, 09:36 PM
At this point I would say the LT job is Sewell's to lose, based on a few comments that have emanated from camp. If he impresses on Monday, he will go a long way towards winning the starting job. I expect King will get one tackle job.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8