PDA

View Full Version : June 9, 2014: Toronto Argonauts vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

T-Bone
06-02-2014, 07:33 AM
444 vs. 445

Pre-Season A
Monday, June 9, 2014 at 8:30pm EDT.
Investors Group Field. Winnipeg, MB.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
Video Webcast: Mobile TV (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/) - Anyplace TV (http://www.rogersondemand.com/Live/SportsChannelDetails/tsn_2?lang=en)
Radio: TOR: TSN 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/feature/?id=43622) - WPG: CJOB 680 (http://www.cjob.com/bombers/)
Audio Webcast: TOR: Here (http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/listen/) - WPG: Here (http://player.cjob.com/)

Depth Charts: TOR: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2014) - WPG: Here (http://www.bluebombers.com/depthchart/list/team/5)

Post-Game Update: Final Score: 24-22

Recap: Argos at Bombers - Preseason Game 1 (http://argonauts.ca/article/recap-argos-at-bombers)

Rich
06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Am I understanding it right that a strike vote won't take place before this game? In other words, are we certain this game will happen? I've been looking forward to it for too long, I'm afraid to get my hopes up.

T-Bone
06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
In other words, are we certain this game will happen?
I'm not 100% sure but until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it's a go.

Argocister
06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm not 100% sure but until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it's a go.

I read it before, but it states the same in this article, ..... the soonest that a strike vote can go in Alberta is the 7th of June.... then there is a 72 hr wait period , so that they strike on the 10th.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/06/03/toronto_argonauts_rookie_preaches_patience_poise_a head_of_looming_strike.html

So the Argos are in Winnipeg on the Mon night .... I hope they get the players home before they strike! :ohno:

Rich
06-03-2014, 11:00 PM
I read it before, but it states the same in this article, ..... the soonest that a strike vote can go in Alberta is the 7th of June.... then there is a 72 hr wait period , so that they strike on the 10th.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/06/03/toronto_argonauts_rookie_preaches_patience_poise_a head_of_looming_strike.html

Seems like a huge advantage if the Argos and Winnipeg were the only teams to get the 1st pre-season game in.

paulwoods13
06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Seems like a huge advantage if the Argos and Winnipeg were the only teams to get the 1st pre-season game in.

For that reason, among others, I suspect a strike will happen after the first week of preseason is over.

Qman
06-04-2014, 12:43 PM
i think the PA will walk right before the BC/EDM game on Friday June 13th.

ArgoRavi
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
i think the PA will walk right before the BC/EDM game on Friday June 13th.

Friday the 13th would certainly be fitting for a labour disruption.

Argocister
06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I was just reading on Arash Madanis twitter, that there is to be a re-vote in Ontario to allow all rookies and new players to vote regarding a strike. Which means if it is a positive vote for strike , the players in Ont can start Sunday ! Shhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiii..........

C'mon guys, don't do that! Get it done!Play football! Let the league take a step forward!..... Let the players be satisfied!

doubleblue
06-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Tenative deal. So the Game is on Monday Night. TSN1

ArgoGabe22
06-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Depth chart is up. http://argonauts.ca/depthchart/game/depthid/10079

On offence Ricky rests, Sewell at LT, Holmes LG, Coombs at RB at KR. On the D side, lots of newcomers up front and it looks like Herbert is back, Robinson goes to LB and Gabriel has beat out Matt Black?

paulwoods13
06-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Gabriel has beat out Matt Black?

Too soon to reach that conclusion, I'd say. Coaches need to see lots of reps by Gabriel on D to see if he is better than what Black showed last season. He very well might win the job but I really doubt he has it won already.

gilthethrill
06-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Well, between watching an NHL Stanley Cup Finals game or a CFL Exhibition game (involving any team), in my house, CFL will win every time...I am all geared up for tomorrow nights Argos game!!! Look forward to watching the D play. Keep in mind folks, it will be generic plays on both sides of the ball.

ArgoRavi
06-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Depth chart is up. http://argonauts.ca/depthchart/game/depthid/10079

On offence Ricky rests, Sewell at LT, Holmes LG, Coombs at RB at KR. On the D side, lots of newcomers up front and it looks like Herbert is back, Robinson goes to LB and Gabriel has beat out Matt Black?

Does anyone know why Josh Portis isn't playing?

Wobbler
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Obviously the chart shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it at least provides an approximate idea of what positions players are being evaluated for.

- Dhillon is listed as a center. I like the idea that we might be evaluating him as a backup and eventual replacement for Keeping.

- Robinson is apparently being considered as Ball's replacement at SAM. I don't think of him as being physical enough for that position, but maybe I'm wrong.

Argocister
06-08-2014, 02:57 PM

I'm thinking an injury of some sort, as he wasn't participating in the practice on Sat. But was observing.

Has anyone seen Waters? I know he's not on the depth chart, but I also didn't see him on Fan day.

argofandave
06-08-2014, 03:35 PM
There was an announcement at Fan Day (perhaps by Jim Barker) that Waters had left to attend a funeral.

doubleblue
06-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Milanovich mentioned the other some players might not go to Winnipeg because of roster restrictions. However, I count 72 players from the depth chart so not many being left home besides Ray, Owens, Durie, Rodgers, Tripp and maybe a few injured. Maybe Portis got nicked a bit in the mock game.
But I have been wondering what four QB's they would be keeping this year. The new guy from TCU looks to have a good accurate arm and Gale impressed me the other day. Could Portis be the odd man out?
I was hoping JB could squeeze a draft pick out of some GM for one of these young guns if they can't keep them all.

marcwagz
06-08-2014, 10:44 PM
hmm where
is spencer watt

Wobbler
06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Gabe reported that Watt was injured in practice last week. Either he still isn't healthy or we'd rather evaluate some other guys.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
While I recognize that depth charts are not cast in stone, I note that Anthony Woodson, whom the Argos acquired from Winnipeg last year, is listed last on the depth chart at RB. After two years in the league, plus several years of gaining little yardage in his junior and senior years in the CIS because of injuries following a CIS West rushing leading sophomore year, I think Woodson has to produce quickly or be an early cut. In two CFL years, he has gained 7 yards in 7 carries and minus three yards from one reception.

paulwoods13
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
While I recognize that depth charts are not cast in stone, I note that Anthony Woodson, whom the Argos acquired from Winnipeg last year, is listed last on the depth chart at RB. After two years in the league, plus several years of gaining little yardage in his junior and senior years in the CIS because of injuries following a CIS West rushing leading sophomore year, I think Woodson has to produce quickly or be an early cut. In two CFL years, he has gained 7 yards in 7 carries and minus three yards from one reception.

Woodson strikes me as the kind of guy who might never be good enough to start on offence but can still be a very valuable special teamer, a la Bryan Crawford. I wouldn't give up on him making the roster just yet.

AngeloV
06-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Woodson strikes me as the kind of guy who might never be good enough to start on offence but can still be a very valuable special teamer, a la Bryan Crawford. I wouldn't give up on him making the roster just yet.

He can also line up both as a FB or a RB, so that is in his favour.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Matt Black has a hard hit on Nick Moore knocking the ball out of his hand. Good start.

argonaut11xx
06-09-2014, 09:03 PM
decent drive put together by Harris...TD Argo's..

jerrym
06-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Harris 6 for 7, Darvin Adams with 4 catches and Steele (although I was only so-so on him last year) with many rushes leading to his TD are looking good.

argotom
06-09-2014, 09:20 PM
RB Jeramiah Johnson looks good and now Steve Slaton who scored on a 10 yard run.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Impressed by the Argo RBs (Steele, Johnson especially, and Slaton) so far but even more impressed by the holes the O-line is opening up but have to remember its preseason game with lots of players who won't be there when the season starts.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Willy is looking like he may be the solution to Winnipeg's QB problems. Denmark is making his usual outstanding catches. Cotton seems like he could be a find at RB for the Bombers.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Coombs was as advertised - fast and elusive on his one rush for seven yards. Winnipeg QB Max Hall was limping slightly at the end of the half.

OV Argo
06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Somebody step-up on the D to make some plays, please; Gabriel looks excellent - great tackle and also a hit to strip a receiver; after that - not much and D-Line or LBs doing little.

Adams with some nice grabs and a great snag by Sinkfield; Slaton or Johnson look way more explosive than Steele, IMO; a lot of the starters in at O-Line helping early in an ex. game.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Adjei shows some speed on a 21 yard catch and run for his second catch after an earlier drop.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 11:07 PM
With Sinkfield's return and receiving ability , he stands a decent chance of making the team.

OV Argo
06-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Will Paschal's dad be calling for him to start for the Argos and dominate the minor league CFL ?

OV Argo
06-09-2014, 11:29 PM
#93 - Delano Johnson - impressed me some on the Argo D-Line tonight.

jerrym
06-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Pachall is extremely green and needs to learn how to carry the ball but he does throw a tight spiral with zip. I hope his dad was watching and also learned something about the quality of CFL football.

Will
06-09-2014, 11:42 PM
- Running back position isn't any clearer as both Slaton, Steele and Johnson looked solid;
- Harris looked impressive and Gale didn't look bad either, but Pachall looked like a raw rookie;
- 2nd half d-line looked good, but wasn't impressed with the 2nd quarter d-line.

AaronInToronto
06-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Slaton looked strong. Coombs couldn't break free. OL looked soggy and slow. Harris looked like he"ll be the number 2, until Ray gets hurt, then they'll go with Gale ('cause that's how we do it in TO). Defence was reasonable ass can be expected. No one jumped out to me as having the capability of upsetting a veteran.

Qman
06-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Pachall is terrible. will they even keep him around.

Qman
06-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Winnipeg's new stadium sure looks great on TV. Hopefully a rebuilt and covered new BMO will look that good.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2014, 01:41 AM
#93 - Delano Johnson - impressed me some on the Argo D-Line tonight.

In addition to Johnson, I thought that Whiteside played well with a sack and fumble recovery. Herbert struggled on the final Winnipeg drive unfortunately. I find it difficult to assess the defence though. Offensively, I thought that Natey Adjei, Terrell Sinkfield and Darvin Adams stood out among the receivers with Sinkfield having the best kick return of the night. K.J. Stroud made a couple of plays in the fourth quarter while all of the tailbacks looked good. Alexandre Dupuis seemed to play a lot at the tight end/FB position and was on the field for two Argo TDs. The offensive line played well I thought too. Jas Dhillon seemed to play the entire game at centre and did not look out of place. The long-snapping tonight went without incident as well which was a good sign.

AngeloV
06-10-2014, 01:59 AM
Pachall is terrible. will they even keep him around.

I thought he did quite well for a guy that has never played a down in the league before. Like his arm, and actually showed decent running ability for a 230lb QB. Just needs to protect the ball better. I like the way he pushed the ball down field. Overall, I liked what I saw from all the QB's tonight.

The long-snapping tonight went without incident as well which was a good sign.

I was watching that as well Ravi. The long snaps were all rockets back to the punter, and right on target. Very impressed with it.

Wobbler
06-10-2014, 02:28 AM
I like the way he pushed the ball down field. Overall, I liked what I saw from all the QB's tonight.
Agreed. I think Harris and Gale (as the potential backups) needed to show that they could get first downs, protect the ball, and potentially win games, and they mostly did that. Gale misjudged his velocity a few times - especially with the weak sideline pass that was nearly intercepted - and looks a bit less polished than Harris. Understandably.

Realistically, Pachall has no chance of being our backup this year, so his job was to prove his potential. I assume that's why we had him throw downfield more than the other guys. After a couple of rough series he started to look pretty good; I liked the perfect timing on the pass to Adjei (who had a great game despite going offside once).

I'm encouraged by our performance in general. This could be a good year.

gilthethrill
06-10-2014, 09:11 AM
I hope Argo DB Washington is ok after that tackle(hate that there was a flag on the play, but that is football now). Harris is #2, but I really want to see what Portis can do. Deep receiver core with Adams, Sinkfield, Stroud and Robert "Gill the Thrill" all looking for work. Whiteside looked good at DE as did Delano Johnson on the interior against the worst O-line in the league. All the RB candidates looked good. Rod Smith is looking good to replace the veteran Rod Black too....:)

doubleblue
06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
That was a pretty entertaining game IMO for the first one of the season. I agree with most of the comments except Pachall being terrible, he's a good prospect, but has a lot to learn.
The new DLine guys didn't get a lot of pressure on the Winnipeg QB's but maybe we have to give the Bomber OLine some credit. But the Argos didn't blitz much which would have made a difference. Staton and Johnson are as advertised, I think they are both better than Steele. Coombes needs to be brought along slower in spot situations for a while, but he looks like he can be a player.
The young Canadian OLinemen played well which bodes well for the future. But when Winnipeg DLine started using some stunts they showed some in-experience which would be expected.
Don't know what to think about the DB's yet. They weren't bad. I was never to enthralled with the holdovers. A work in progress.

Will
06-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Trevor Harris is starting to look like Ricky Ray a little bit out there. Good for him, I wasn't overly impressed with Harris in training camp last year, but he seems to have improved a lot in the past year. We'll see how he does against Hamilton, which is a better defense than Winnipeg. Mitchell Gale did not look out of place either. He didn't looked as polished as Harris and I'm not sure the team scored any points with him on the field, but he showed flashes. I wonder why Josh Portis wasn't brought to Winnipeg? Is he injured or is he not fitting into the Argos' plans any longer? Pachall was playing his first pro game (albeit exhibition) and it showed a bit. That fumble was a huge mistake, but I'm sure he'll learn his lesson on that account. Slaton, Steele and Johnson all showed something at RB. Coombs had a few descent runs as well. Hogan and JJ said on the broadcast that it'll probably come down to the little things such as blocking and how quickly the RB get to their checkdown positions that will solve the running back battle. I'm not sure if the Argos will have to cut any of these guys prior to the game against Hamilton, but they've deserved a 2nd look in my opinion. Steele also looked good on special teams coverage, which may help him a bit. I was interested to see how Robert Gill would do and unfortunately he got hurt after making that catch on the first play. Darvin Adams and Natey Adjei were busy receivers for the Argos yesterday and it will be interesting to see how Adjei does going forward because many were raising an eyebrow at that draft selection in the first place. Receiver is not a position where I am remotely worried and that says a lot considering how we felt about that position as recently as two years ago. The Argos tried to feature Terrell Sinkfield a bit and he made an impressive catch. Hogan seemed impressed with the top-OL unit, I was a little bit wary about their play in the 2nd quarter though.

The defensive line was good in the second half. I'd say that some of those guys deserve a look against the better Hamilton players next Thursday. I think the Bombers got off a lot of long completions, but the secondary looked all right at other times. The 4th Winnipeg QB did provide a different look that the D as a whole had a bit of difficulty adjusting to.

AngeloV
06-10-2014, 10:11 AM
It was pretty obvious that on D, the team was looking to see who can win that 1 on 1 battles last night. It was a very vanilla defence with no blitz packages at all. Considering that, I thought they did ok.

Will
06-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Yeah, vanilla D is common for the pre-season. I thought the front seven looked pretty good against the run early.

argotom
06-10-2014, 10:23 AM
No to be critical, however I noticed Harris did not have the zip and tight spiral on the ball like Gale or Pachall had.
Pretty much the same thing during his tenure with the Argos and unlike Zach last year.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2014, 10:45 AM
I wonder why Josh Portis wasn't brought to Winnipeg? Is he injured or is he not fitting into the Argos' plans any longer?

I was wondering about this a couple of days ago and it was mentioned that Portis was hurt during the scrimmage on Friday. I hope that this doesn't spell the end for Portis and that he gets a chance to play in the second preseason game. BTW, I read in the Ottawa Sun that the RedBlacks released Corey Leonard and appear to be down to three QBs. Rick Campbell said something about hoping to bring in a QB from another team at some point so the Argos may have a trade option there.

Will
06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
The new PI review was utilized successfully by the Argos last night and eventually led to an Argos touchdown. I'm still uneasy about it even if it benefited the Argos last night.

AngeloV
06-10-2014, 01:43 PM
The new PI review was utilized successfully by the Argos last night and eventually led to an Argos touchdown. I'm still uneasy about it even if it benefited the Argos last night.

I hate the review on PI. Thankfully each team still only has 2 (or 3 if they are successful) challenges a game. What happens in the last 3 minutes though? Can the both call down and take a look at virtually every passing play? That would be horrible.

No to be critical, however I noticed Harris did not have the zip and tight spiral on the ball like Gale or Pachall had.
Pretty much the same thing during his tenure with the Argos and unlike Zach last year.

Ricky Ray is the best passing QB in the league, and he doesn't have a lot of force on his throws. As long as the read is good, and the balll is thrown on time, it means absolutely nothing.

argotom
06-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Ricky Ray is the best passing QB in the league, and he doesn't have a lot of force on his throws. As long as the read is good, and the balll is thrown on time, it means absolutely nothing.

Ricky has the touch and with a nice soft spiral.

Winnipeg's new stadium sure looks great on TV. Hopefully a rebuilt and covered new BMO will look that good.

Agree with you, it's a jewel and looks awesome on TV.
Dare I say even though I do not watch, like a No Fun league stadium.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2014, 02:11 PM
I hate the review on PI. Thankfully each team still only has 2 (or 3 if they are successful) challenges a game. What happens in the last 3 minutes though? Can the both call down and take a look at virtually every passing play? That would be horrible.

I believe that a PI review in the last three minutes can only be instigated by one of the teams, providing that they still have a timeout.

Rich
06-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Trevor Harris is starting to look like Ricky Ray a little bit out there. Good for him, I wasn't overly impressed with Harris in training camp last year, but he seems to have improved a lot in the past year. We'll see how he does against Hamilton, which is a better defense than Winnipeg. Mitchell Gale did not look out of place either. He didn't looked as polished as Harris and I'm not sure the team scored any points with him on the field, but he showed flashes.

I'm a little less concerned than I was in the off-season about what happens if/when Ricky gets hurt this year. Harris does seem to have grown into a serviceable QB. He doesn't have star potential like Collaros, but he's a smart player, a student of the game, and is not likely to kill us with mistakes.

On the other hand, I didn't see any growth from Gale over his performances last year. I wouldn't have nearly the same confidence in him as I do now in Harris. I think Pachall has way more upside than Gale, given that Pachall missed the minicamps this year and has very little experience with the system. Plus he may have the strongest arm on the roster. If it was up to me, at this point in time, I'd put Pachall at #3.

Darvin Adams didn't disappoint. The guy can make any catch. I don't know how you keep him off the roster. And as for Natey Adjei, I'd be awfully worried if I was Mike Bradwell or Spencer Watt today.

How can you say it means absolutely nothing? If you want to thread the needle 25 yards downfield you sure as hell better have some zip on it.

1argoholic
06-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Hard choices to make at rb. We look pretty solid. Can't wait to see more of Coombs. He looks to have a real strong burst to the hole as well as some Barry Sanders types lateral movement. His name came to mind on one run that was called back due to a penalty.

I thought that both Harris and Gale aimed the ball with a pushing type throw rather than gunning the ball. Perhaps nerves. Like to see more of Pachall.

Some big D lineman that at times looked lost but I think there's some good stuff to look forward to.

bluto
06-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Harris will be a good backup. He plays from the pocket so the offence will be able to play the same way with him as with Ricky. When given the additional weapons we have (Owens, Durie, Chiles, Barnes et al) he will be able to eat up yardage and allow our RB (whoever that turns out to be... really i haven't the foggiest) to run without having defences cheat on them.

How can you say it means absolutely nothing? If you want to thread the needle 25 yards downfield you sure as hell better have some zip on it.

touch & timing >>> zip

any day

AngeloV
06-10-2014, 03:20 PM

It's all about timing and accuracy. There isn't a pro QB that can't do that, or else they wouldn't even be looked at as a prospect. Good QB's don't fit the ball into tight areas. They throw to a spot where their receiver can get to it and not the defence...what they call throwing the receiver open.

paulwoods13
06-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Arm strength is overrated -- that's why Michael Bishop kept getting signed by teams. They fell in love with the cannon while forgetting that to be effective, every cannonball needs someone adept at lighting the fuse.

While Collaros seems to have a strong arm, a lot of his most effective throws last season were wobbly. It's about getting it to the receiver in a catchable place and in stride, not on always gunning it. Based on what little we saw of Harris last night, I think he can be more than adequate as No. 2 and injury insurance. Most importantly, he seemed to have a good grasp of the offence (as did Gale, albeit to a lesser extent, I thought). Don't know what to make of Pachall yet, and I really hope we get a good long look at Portis in Game 2.

Adjei looked pretty solid. I think Watt and Bradwell are still reasonably secure since Bradwell is effective on special teams and Watt is well established as a decent-enough deep threat from the little-used field WR spot. We need another NI receiver to replace Feoli-Gudino as a backup/ST guy and that will probably be Adjei. Coombs makes it as well, as a RB who will eventually also be worked into the Durie hybrid spot.

ColdCrusty78
06-10-2014, 07:13 PM
It was great to see all the RB perform well, as Milanovich has mentioned being able to protect Ricky Ray is going to be key to securing this position. Was also impressed with WR Adams too, he had a couple of sweet catches.

OV Argo
06-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Offence looked good - without Ricky Ray but helped by a number of vets in on the O-Line; some good play by the receivers - Adams, Sinkfield, Adjei - one spot open to replace Inman?, with Owens, Chiles, Durie, maybe another NI (Watt?) as locks i guess; interesting battle at RB - not sure we saw who the best blocker was if that is a priority, but all of Slaton, Johnson and Steele ripped off some nice runs (albeit against a very iffy Bomber D with no real MLB in); Coombs had one nice run (and a decent return) but was in late in the game with inexperienced O-Linemen. I still think Harris is a potential very good young QB - always liked his outstanding college ball resume and the guy has a decent arm and some poise: Gale didn't overly impress me and Paschal is a long-shot (sorry dad) who at least got some significant playing time to show something. Also - Jerriel King at OG instead of OT ? - not sure i get that, even if Sewell is being counted on to start at OT - then, move Van Zeyl to OG and let King play OT where he was IMO so impressive last season. Maybe more like Van Zeyl & King as the starting OTs with Sewell the main back-up; Keeping at C, Holmes at one guard spot, then who is the other OG?

Special teams; brutal miss by the new FG kicker; i guess his punting was pretty good; noticed draft pick receiver Pszonzack was the holder; too bad he had no passes thrown his way on offence.

D is still the real big issue IMO - with so little experience and nobody really stepped-up with great play-making on D; Burke has a tough road ahead maybe to mold a strong unit; Argos might have to win a bunch of high scoring games, but that could be quite do-able with Ray and a potential very good supporting cast.

Rich
06-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Good QB's don't fit the ball into tight areas.

Surely you don't mean this.

What you probably meant is you can't force a pass into coverage, which is absolutely right. But sometimes the window of opportunity for "throwing the receiver open" is really short, which sometimes means the ball's gotta get there really fast. Probably more important in the NFL, where there's so much less open space. Ricky could have easily been an NFL QB if he was able to throw an accurate bullet when he had to.

Argos might have to win a bunch of high scoring games, but that could be quite do-able with Ray and a potential very good supporting cast.

I could live with a bunch of high scoring games, and I think the promise of a lot of offence makes casual fans more interested in the Argonauts too.

Rids
06-11-2014, 04:21 AM
I won't do this for every game but thought I'd post this in here since Game 1 of the 2014 CFL Season featured the double blue. Just a quick look at the offense from Monday night.

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/6/11_CFL_Pre-Season_Game_1.html

doubleblue
06-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I won't do this for every game but thought I'd post this in here since Game 1 of the 2014 CFL Season featured the double blue. Just a quick look at the offense from Monday night.

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/6/11_CFL_Pre-Season_Game_1.html

Thanks Rids, I hadn't seen all the stats.

Argocister
06-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Thanks Rids.
It's always fun to watch the pre season, as these players are giving their all. It's also fun to mentally bet who will make the team, who's out for sure and who is a work in progress. Personally, I'm paying attention to the CIS players .... But that's probably evident from my name ....argo CISter :)

Will
06-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks Rids!
The Argos heavily featured Sinkfield. I think they were most interested in seeing how he would perform in return duties as many believe that they are trying to lessen the load on Chad Owens in that department. He made one really impressive catch were he had to reach out and dive for a ball that was thrown a little bit off target. I think the Argos wanted to feature Robert Gill a little more as well, but be got hurt on the game's first play after making a nice 17-yard catch-and-run. Again, it was nice to see Adjei step up and perform well in this game because many were questioning this pick by Barker several years ago. Of course, playing well in an exhibition game is only part of the battle so we'll see who impresses the coaches in practices.

Argo
06-11-2014, 10:51 AM
I watched the archived game via TSN broadband and was impressed by the Argos' individual play and overall execution in all three phases of play. Apart from too many penalties, overall a very nice effort against a team on the road back to respectability.
Harris looking very solid, Gale and Paschal some good play too. Paschal, IMO, is a diamond-in-the-rough with all the physical attributes to play QB in our league. Not a bad performance during his baptism of fire.

Running back? As mentioned in the press, Steele is a lock to make the team based upon his ST play. He's also a great goal-line substitution back. He lacks the explosiveness of Johnson and, perhaps, Slaton. I'm very interested in seeing the Slaton - Johnson competition in the final preseason game (against benchmark opposition). It's a shame that only one these fine backs will (I assume) make the team!

Receiver? What an embarrassment of riches of various vintage, and what a contrast to not so very long ago.

I thought the D played reasonably well and look forward to seeing the play vs. Hamilton. Did I actually see a genuine Defensive End or two playing for the Argos?! One individual in the defensive backfield was picked on with some success, it appeared.

1argoholic
06-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Totally forgot to mention Adjei. I was very impressed with the way he played. He's got some good game speed and toughness as I expected him to be slowish from what I had read. He could be another very solid find.

How refreshing has the last few years been with Barker and the gang finding solid players on both sides of the ball. However I'm very impressed by the talent he digs up at rb,qb and receiver. These are spots that the Argonaut organization has struggled with for years and years with the odd exception. We actually lost a qb who we found that our biggest rival wanted as their starter. That's unreal. Hopefully he now struggles in Hamilton. haha.

doubleblue
06-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Totally forgot to mention Adjei. I was very impressed with the way he played. He's got some good game speed and toughness as I expected him to be slowish from what I had read. He could be another very solid find.

How refreshing has the last few years been with Barker and the gang finding solid players on both sides of the ball. However I'm very impressed by the talent he digs up at rb,qb and receiver. These are spots that the Argonaut organization has struggled with for years and years with the odd exception. We actually lost a qb who we found that our biggest rival wanted as their starter. That's unreal. Hopefully he now struggles in Hamilton. haha.

I noticed Adjei in rookie camp. Didn't know who he was at first until I checked the hand out sheet. He looks fast and was catching everything thrown his way, thought at first he must be one of the new imports. As you say he is pretty solidly built. We will have to see how it plays out, but I see him at least taking Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster.
Feoli by the way made a couple of nice catches for the Bombers the other night.

jerrym
06-11-2014, 08:39 PM
I noticed Adjei in rookie camp. Didn't know who he was at first until I checked the hand out sheet. He looks fast and was catching everything thrown his way, thought at first he must be one of the new imports. As you say he is pretty solidly built. We will have to see how it plays out, but I see him at least taking Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster.
Feoli by the way made a couple of nice catches for the Bombers the other night.

Adjei dropped one pass but other than that he looked impressive, certainly better than Watts at the beginning of his career.

Argocister
06-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Adjei dropped one pass but other than that he looked impressive, certainly better than Watts at the beginning of his career.

Watt is 1 year older than Adjei, and is in his 5th year in the CFL. I think Watt was just too smart for his career, and finished his schooling early.... 21. Alot of physical development happens in those early twenties.....Just sayin'

OV Argo
06-11-2014, 09:02 PM

Was Adjei playing Durie' s spot some of the time?; his one big gainer was on a short pass where he showed quickness to head up field, a la a lot of Durie plays; still a bit early to get real excited about any players (IMO) from limited playing time in one ex. game - I would have been more impressed if Adjei made some difficult catches well down field - if all Adjei can do is take Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster, that doesn't mean much IMO cause F-G barely played on offence for the Argos; - i'd hope for the best - that he or Pszonczak could push for playing time in the receiving corps or beat out one of Bradwell or Watt for a roster spot. Sinkfield made the one spectacular catch laying out - sign of very good hands i hope.

paulwoods13
06-11-2014, 09:43 PM

It is unwise to make such judgments on the basis of the first ex game of any season. Both teams played vanilla packages and used tons of guys we will never see after next wk. Watt had some good games as a rookie but who knows or cares how well he did in his first ex game that year?

ubbullrun
06-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Watching Ajdei play well was frustrating for me as a UB fan... We had trouble with depth at receiver and our Coach never put Natey in the game..

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/6/10/5795776/cfl-preseason-toronto-24-winnipeg-22

It's hard to imagine if as a rookie he can catch 4-62 in his opening CFL game that he could not have been very useful in Buffalo... How much time do you guys think he will see with Toronto this year?

Was Adjei playing Durie' s spot some of the time?; his one big gainer was on a short pass where he showed quickness to head up field, a la a lot of Durie plays; still a bit early to get real excited about any players (IMO) from limited playing time in one ex. game - I would have been more impressed if Adjei made some difficult catches well down field - if all Adjei can do is take Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster, that doesn't mean much IMO cause F-G barely played on offence for the Argos; - i'd hope for the best - that he or Pszonczak could push for playing time in the receiving corps or beat out one of Bradwell or Watt for a roster spot. Sinkfield made the one spectacular catch laying out - sign of very good hands i hope.

This is true, the question is not "is Adjei better than xyz" but will he do well by Toronto as a third round pick....

Rich
06-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Sinkfield made the one spectacular catch laying out - sign of very good hands i hope.

Good hands maybe, but a clumsy runner. He almost tripped over himself on one YAC. Reminded me of Brandon Rideau -- great hands, lousy feet.

Watching Ajdei play well was frustrating for me as a UB fan... We had trouble with depth at receiver and our Coach never put Natey in the game..

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/6/10/5795776/cfl-preseason-toronto-24-winnipeg-22

It's hard to imagine if as a rookie he can catch 4-62 in his opening CFL game that he could not have been very useful in Buffalo... How much time do you guys think he will see with Toronto this year?

This is true, the question is not "is Adjei better than xyz" but will he do well by Toronto as a third round pick....

Hey ubbullrun, how the Bulls look this year? I was thinking of coming down to see them play Baylor. Is there any chance they won't get killed in that game?

ubbullrun
06-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey ubbullrun, how the Bulls look this year? I was thinking of coming down to see them play Baylor. Is there any chance they won't get killed in that game?

I think the Baylor game will be like Rocky versus Clubber Lang.... The first fight....

UB got killed last year and that was with seven players currently in NFL camps, and one lost CFL'r.. I know Baylor lost a lot but that's going to be a game I need to drink my way through. I guess with it being a friday night on ESPN the school is going to try to make it an event but if the Bulls are still in teh game at the half I will be amazed.

We play enough cupcakes that if you want to see a UB win there is ample opportunity (Norfolk state comes to mind) but I think a better idea might be to pick your trip around the weather and the pregame tailgate concert. Make a day of it...

Honestly it might be worth it to buy seasons tickets and just go when you have time and the weather is nice.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20140204b6i3m3

* country star Easton Corbin will kick things off on Aug. 30 before the Bulls host Duquesne.
* September 13 Joe Nichols will perform pregame before the Bulls host national-power Baylor.
* On September 20, '90s alternative rockers the Spin Doctors will entertain the crowd before the Bulls take on Norfolk State.
* The 27th is Homecoming Tailgate Concert Series: Three Dog Night
* November 11th is home against Akron (Tuesday) Tailgate Concert Series: Frankie Ballard

It's 100$ for seven tickets but the only downside is that two of those games are midweek evenings.. The reason I say "might as well get season tickets" is because the Baylor game single tickets are 50$ by themselves while the other game tickets are 20$ each. So really if you do Baylor and any other two games you save money with season tickets.

Here is the teams ticket brouchoue

http://static.psbin.com/9/o/tbe0ms4475o1ow/BullsBrochure_Poster.pdf

Im considering taking a trip up to Winnipeg for my first CFL game this year (I live in MN) I just have to get the wife on board...

7dj83r8f78t4alf8