PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Argos Schedule

ArgoGabe22
02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
http://argonauts.ca/schedule/year/2012/7

OK WTF!!! Monday night at 4:30pm (EDIT: That`s Thanksgiving my bad). 3 Monday games, 1 Friday. Monday night football is an NFL thing and I have no clue what they are trying to accomplish. Anyone else not happy?

KCargosfan
02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't understand the league-wide Thursday games from week 4 through week 9?

I also don't get our Wednesday night game in week 4? That is odd. Are they intentionally trying to kill attendance?

T-Bone
02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
http://argonauts.ca/schedule/year/2012/7

OK WTF!!! Monday night at 4:30pm (EDIT: That`s Thanksgiving my bad). 3 Monday games, 1 Friday. Monday night football is an NFL thing and I have no clue what they are trying to accomplish. Anyone else not happy?The August 6th Monday games falls on Simcoe Day so it is also a holiday. The August 27th Monday doesn't seem to have any clear reasoning behind it.

I also don't get our Wednesday night game in week 4? That is odd. Are they intentionally trying to kill attendance?There is also a Toronto FC home game that night at 7:00pm

shayman
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Your Final Jeopardy Answer Is:

2012 Argos
2004 Argos
1983 Stampeders
1976 Stampeders
1973 Stampeders

Question: "Who are the only CFL teams to play a home game on each day of the week?" (going back to 1949.)

I was hoping it was only the 2012 Argos, mildly annoyed it's happened before as now I can't be quite as indignant about it.

bluto
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Your Final Jeopardy Answer Is:

2012 Argos
2004 Argos
1983 Stampeders
1976 Stampeders
1973 Stampeders

Question: "Who are the only CFL teams to play a home game on each day of the week?" (going back to 1949.)

I was hoping it was only the 2012 Argos, mildly annoyed it's happened before as now I can't be quite as indignant about it.

no dude... it's sweet. check out the last time it happened to us :D

shayman
02-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Sweet! 2004 all over again!

Here's some more trivia from today's schedule analysis. I know people think CFL teams should get into a rhythm and play all their games on the same day of the week, but consider this: Only two teams - the 1993 Sacramento Gold Miners and 1987 Montreal Alouettes ever played all their home games on the same day of the week.

Sacramento played all their home games on Saturday. Montreal played one home exhibition on Saturday, and then one road exhibition game, and then folded.

Mulder
02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Sweet! 2004 all over again!

Here's some more trivia from today's schedule analysis. I know people think CFL teams should get into a rhythm and play all their games on the same day of the week, but consider this: Only two teams - the 1993 Sacramento Gold Miners and 1987 Montreal Alouettes ever played all their home games on the same day of the week.

Sacramento played all their home games on Saturday. Montreal played one home exhibition on Saturday, and then one road exhibition game, and then folded.

The Current edition of the Montreal Als play all their home games after Labour Day on Sunday. Only exception is Thanksgiving.

argolio
02-17-2012, 04:28 PM
The Wednesday game home to Winnipeg following a Saturday game at Hamilton isn't great, but at least we hardly have to travel while Winnipeg's extra day of rest is offset by having to travel between road games.

KCargosfan
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
The Wednesday game home to Winnipeg following a Saturday game at Hamilton isn't great, but at least we hardly have to travel while Winnipeg's extra day of rest is offset by having to travel between road games.

I think they did this to Calgary 2 years ago, didn't they? I remember it being somewhat of a crappy game with Burris throwing 4 ints and both teams looking like they had just played 4 days earlier.

Will
02-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I think they did this to Calgary 2 years ago, didn't they? I remember it being somewhat of a crappy game with Burris throwing 4 ints and both teams looking like they had just played 4 days earlier.

There was a game in 2007 where I think Calgary had played on the Sunday evening and we had played on the Saturday evening. It was on a Thursday night and Burris threw something like 4 INT's like you said. The Argos looked like anything but a team that had played 4 days earlier. They won 48-15.

paulwoods13
02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
There was a game in 2007 where I think Calgary had played on the Sunday evening and we had played on the Saturday evening. It was on a Thursday night and Burris threw something like 4 INT's like you said. The Argos looked like anything but a team that had played 4 days earlier. They won 48-15.

Michael Bishop's finest performance as a pro (until he got hurt), IIRC.

Will
02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Michael Bishop's finest performance as a pro (until he got hurt), IIRC.

Yes, it was, he was 18 of 23 for 273 yards up until he was injured in the 3rd quarter.

294life
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
a potential trip to TO to see the als-argos june 19th and october 14th for me. Always enjoyable.

ArgoRavi
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
From a competitive viewpoint, I am satisfied with the Argos' schedule. They alternate between road and home games for their first 8 games of the season which is much better than last year's schedule which helped to put them in a hole that they could not recover from. The toughest part of the schedule this year will be after their eighth game when they play four out of five on the road but then they finish up with four out of five at home.

I certainly prefer the Argos' schedule to Winnipeg's. The Bombers play their first four on the road in B.C., Montreal, Edmonton and Toronto. The season could get very bad for the Bombers very quickly if they don't play well on the road early in the season.

1argoholic
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I'll one can say is until they have their own home they'll get screwed by the Rogers. This will do zero for drawing more folks to games.

KCargosfan
02-17-2012, 10:55 PM

Nah, it had to be 2010 because I didn't follow the CFL before then and I'm pretty sure Lemon was our QB.

From a competitive viewpoint, I am satisfied with the Argos' schedule. They alternate between road and home games for their first 8 games of the season which is much better than last year's schedule which helped to put them in a hole that they could not recover from. The toughest part of the schedule this year will be after their eighth game when they play four out of five on the road but then they finish up with four out of five at home.

I certainly prefer the Argos' schedule to Winnipeg's. The Bombers play their first four on the road in B.C., Montreal, Edmonton and Toronto. The season could get very bad for the Bombers very quickly if they don't play well on the road early in the season.

Or it may not matter at all since BC started last year 0-5 and then ended up getting home field advantage.

DanTheFan
02-17-2012, 11:07 PM
I guess the Blue Jays have lots of home weekend games. It's good to hear some of these home games fall on holidays though. At least now I can plan which games I'd like to attend. The BC game is looking the most interesting to me.

argolio
02-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Please, no more depressing (lack of a) new stadium talk!

ArgoRavi
02-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Nah, it had to be 2010 because I didn't follow the CFL before then and I'm pretty sure Lemon was our QB.

It was 2010. It was the Argos' home opener and Jeff Johnson scored the game-winning TD in the final couple of minutes.

Argoholics
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I'd love to hear the honest commentary from Chris Rudge on how the sched played out because this schedule is shite, no consistency what so ever. The Rogers Centre and Rogers themselves, IMHO, look at the Argos as an irritant, and would rather them go away.

marcwagz
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I can't believe rogers sold out the jays home opener in an hour...
if they sold out so fast why can't they get 12,000 people to come to the games during the season

Will
02-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I can't believe rogers sold out the jays home opener in an hour...
if they sold out so fast why can't they get 12,000 people to come to the games during the season

The Blue Jays typically get a good crowd (sellout or close to it) on opening day. It seems to be weekdays (and sometimes weekends) that drags down Blue Jays attendance, particularly early in the season and late when they're out of it.

1argoholic
02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Time for all Argo fans to boycot the Jays. F them and the horse they rode in on. My happy post of the day.

Ballstothewall
02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm with you Mark. Great story in the Sun, on how the Rogers centre screwed the Argos yet again. Gave them 12 dates to pick their 10 games from. Add this to the fact, that the Argos lease agreement is up at the end of this year and Rogers will not be offering the Argos another one. Whats going to happen then, i ask

jerrym
02-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Sitting here in BC, it seems to me Rogers is doing everything it can, between the proposed grass for baseball and the lousy game schedule, to kill off the Argos for their belief that if they kill the CFL, the NFL will come and they will be recognized as part of a world-class city (unfortunately for them most dreams don't come true).

shayman
02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Sure would be nice to know what the story is with our weird Monday August 27 game. The Jays are on the road from Mon Aug 20 to Wed Aug 29. So why wasn't the stadium available Thursday, Friday or Saturday? Is something else going on at Skydome or is Rogers just being difficult?

ArgoFan1
02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
That Monday night August 27th is the real head scratcher !!! Never recall ever having a Monday game when it wasn't a holiday. This is probably a first for the history of the entire league. Now I will have to miss my championship night in my summer hockey league. Argos always come first !!! Haven't missed a home game in more than 20 years !!

ArgoRavi
02-19-2012, 01:32 AM
That Monday night August 27th is the real head scratcher !!! Never recall ever having a Monday game when it wasn't a holiday. This is probably a first for the history of the entire league. Now I will have to miss my championship night in my summer hockey league. Argos always come first !!! Haven't missed a home game in more than 20 years !!

Off the top of my head, I can only recall one non-holiday Monday night game that the Argos have played in over the last 35 years and that was in Montreal on September 17th, 2001 after a number of games were postponed because of 9/11. They may have played a Monday night at home on the evening before Canada Day a few years back but that would be about it. These are certainly rare events.

1argoholic
02-19-2012, 02:13 AM
It's called the Rogers Jerk Around The Argonauts Night.

paulwoods13
02-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Seeing as how we're getting Monday Night Football (like it or not), why not play it up as a special event? Move the start time to later (say 830), close off some streets around RC, set up some type of (sanctioned) tailgate operation, etc. If they don't do something special with this game, it will be the worst-attended of the year for sure.

marcwagz
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM
disappointed in the number of games I'll be able to get to...
getting to the Rogers center is a quest in itself so there is no way I can come on a wednesday or a monday...
I'll be at the Calgary at Toronto home opener for sure
then I can't come again till Hamilton at toronto september 8th
then montreal at toronto on sunday the 14th of october

and thats it.

I can't believe the final game of the season is on a thursday...? what on earth
I'll come to the playoff game if we have a home date too

shayman
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Argo Monday home games since 1949 - the ones in bold are non-holiday-weekends as far as I know

Aug 14 1961 Winnipeg
Sep 24 1962 Edmonton
Oct 4 1965 Calgary
Oct 13 1975 Montreal
Jun 18 1984 Ottawa
Aug 21 1989 Ottawa
Oct 9 1989 Ottawa
Oct 18 1993 Calgary
Aug 14 1995 BC
Sep 4 1995 San Antonio
Oct 9 1995 Winnipeg
Jun 30 2003 Hamilton
Oct 11 2004 BC
Oct 10 2005 Edmonton
Oct 9 2006 Edmonton
Aug 6 2012 BC
Aug 27 2012 Edmonton
Oct 8 2012 Saskatchewan

Ballstothewall
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Time for all Argo fans to boycot the Jays. F them and the horse they rode in on. My happy post of the day.

Missing the big picture here guys. Rogers will NOT allow the Argos to sign another lease in 2013. Being kept quiet right now due to the Grey Cup, but watch what happens after the CUP or leading up to the Cup. The Argos will have no where to play in 2013

gilthethrill
02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Looking at June, I am anticipating Fan Day to be held either the 10th or 17th. How about a get to-gether/meet & greet when alot of forum members will potentially be there??...I have a bucket list of forum members I gotta meet.

Area 51
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Missing the big picture here guys. Rogers will NOT allow the Argos to sign another lease in 2013. Being kept quiet right now due to the Grey Cup, but watch what happens after the CUP or leading up to the Cup. The Argos will have no where to play in 2013

That's one extreme, and the other is that Rogers will have "bought" the Argos by 2013.

After this year the league will have paid off Braley with about $25 million in the past two year's worth of Grey Cup revenue, so things should be square with Braley. He'll have no use for the Argos beyond 2012, since it'll be a few years at least until the Grey Cup money-machine returns to Toronto.

Rogers owns every other Toronto sports team -- they even own the Toronto Rock - - so it makes sense for them to also add the Argos. Especially when they'll be able to pick it up for next to nothing. Not exactly "nothing" as in zero dollars like Braley paid, because the old senator will still need one more golden handshake after the Grey Cup looting is done. Maybe a million or two?

As delusional as the current MLSE ownership group is, they surely realize by now that the NFL has no interest in coming to Toronto. Even in his nondescript Super Bowl presser, Goodall basically said there no way Toronto gets a team. I'm sure behind closed doors he's clearly told the Toronto group to FRO with their NFL dreams. So the only way for MLSE to get football content is to bring the Argos on board.

Argocister
02-20-2012, 10:07 AM
.........So the only way for MLSE to get football content is to bring the Argos on board.
So totally out of the box and dreamer thoughts.... I think a partnership with MLSE would be advantageous. The Leafs will be celebrating their 100th anniversary sometime in the next few years. They want the outdoor claasic or heritage game here. But where? ..... I think the Ontario place site would be great for a stadium that can be used for the outdoor classics and marlie/bulldog outdoor games...maybe a Red Bull crushed Ice series.... . and then maybe the Argos can use it as well.

But back to the thread ..... it is too bad that we cannot be assured of traditional game times. Last year even the Labour day Classic changed. ...No I should change that. We CAN be assured of a totally unpredictable schedule each year challenging the sale of seasons tickets. there are a couple of the Monday night games I cannot attend.... will have to give away my seasons tickets. Which I guess is my way of promoting the Argos. Hope the atmosphere is good.

Area 51
02-20-2012, 10:33 AM
HaHa - - well if you're going to bring up fantasy talk of a new stadium, might as well take it to the extreme.

A 30,000 seat football stadium that can convert to an outdoor hockey rink that seats 40,000. And instead of just one winter classic heritage game for a special occassion, why not have the leafs play 10 or 20 outdoor games each season at the new stadium? You know for sure they'd sell out the extra 20,000 seats - - think of all the additional revenue! Only problem is I don't think the stiffs - - I mean, suits - - that have season tickets now would enjoy sitting outside in the cold to watch a game.

T-Bone
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Rogers owns every other Toronto sports team -- they even own the Toronto Rock - - so it makes sense for them to also add the Argos.I thought Jamie Dawick (http://www.torontorock.com/article/fathers-trip-to-philly-on-saturday) owned the Toronto Rock.

I think the Ontario place site would be great for a stadium that can be used for the outdoor classics and marlie/bulldog outdoor games...maybe a Red Bull crushed Ice series.... . and then maybe the Argos can use it as well.Why would MLSE spend the money to build a new stadium on the Ontario Place grounds when BMO Field is right across the street? They can expand the seating at BMO Field for a fraction of the cost and accomadate the Outdoor Classic.

Looking at June, I am anticipating Fan Day to be held either the 10th or 17th. How about a get to-gether/meet & greet when alot of forum members will potentially be there??...I have a bucket list of forum members I gotta meet.That's a good idea, a post Fan Day Argo Fans Meet Up. I'll look in to places close by and we'll sort out the details once Fan Day is official announced.

shayman
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Speaking of fantasy stadium ideas, check out this Texas one - $60,000,000 - for HIGH SCHOOL football

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/02/20/022012-news-high-school-stadium-1-5/

Holy cow is there ever a lot of money south of the border.

1argoholic
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't think Rogers actually knows how many Torontonians they'll piss off with a move like that. They get SH!T cowds as is. Once again F Rogers!!!

Invader
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
After this year the league will have paid off Braley with about $25 million in the past two year's worth of Grey Cup revenue, so things should be square with Braley. He'll have no use for the Argos beyond 2012, since it'll be a few years at least until the Grey Cup money-machine returns to Toronto.

Rogers owns every other Toronto sports team -- they even own the Toronto Rock - - so it makes sense for them to also add the Argos. Especially when they'll be able to pick it up for next to nothing. Not exactly "nothing" as in zero dollars like Braley paid, because the old senator will still need one more golden handshake after the Grey Cup looting is done. Maybe a million or two?

As delusional as the current MLSE ownership group is, they surely realize by now that the NFL has no interest in coming to Toronto. Even in his nondescript Super Bowl presser, Goodall basically said there no way Toronto gets a team. I'm sure behind closed doors he's clearly told the Toronto group to FRO with their NFL dreams. So the only way for MLSE to get football content is to bring the Argos on board.

Mr. Braley is only in this for the money? You can't be serious? He lost a reported $20 million in his first 8 years of Lions ownership. He has broke-even or turned a small profit since then. Yes, the recent Grey Cup in Vancouver was a huge money-maker with profits doubling any previous Cup. Ditto GreyCup100. But I highly doubt that is Braley's motivation for owning two CFL teams. Without him buying the Lions in 1998 the team would have likely folded (a 7-team league?). Without him buying the Argos the league would have been forced to operate the franchise...and beg somebody to buy them. Bell, Rogers, MLSE all took a pass (and will miss out on $10-$15 million profits on the Grey Cup.)

We should not forget that Bell/TSN/Rogers (and probably MLSE) are huge NFL-backers in Canada. Bell is largely using the huge CFL TV audiences to promote their NFL games (but with very little CFL cross-promotion during their NFL broadcasts). While the NFL is not planning to put a team in Toronto at this time, there is still tons of money to be made from the NFL in Canada. The conglomerates might make $20 million on the CFL broadcasts, but could earn $40 million on NFL games (despite lower ratings the NFL ads cost more). If Toronto were to ever land an NFL team (eg. economic downturn in the U.S. or if the NFL wanted to grow their market and expand internationally, where better than Toronto?) the NFL games could earn $100 million or more to the broadcasters. The mere existence of the CFL/Argos is an impediment for a NFL team to gain the hearts of local football fans (over 50% of southern Ontario football fans prefer Canadian football and more follow the CFL than the NFL, according to recent surveys).

Despite Gooddell's wishy-washy pronouncements, we should not discount the NFL's lure to the Toronto sports media monopolies. They've had plenty of opportunity to support the CFL, but have done nothing but throw barbs in their path (like Rogers pronouncements they were withdrawing all sponsorship of the CFL and they won't be bidding for the TV rights in 2013, ect). Thanks for nothing. Rogers and MLSE are the last people on the planet I would ever want running the Argos (into the ground).

shayman
02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Sure would be nice to know what the story is with our weird Monday August 27 game. The Jays are on the road from Mon Aug 20 to Wed Aug 29. So why wasn't the stadium available Thursday, Friday or Saturday? Is something else going on at Skydome or is Rogers just being difficult?

I wonder what would happen if you called the Rogers Centre and enquired about booking the field for a "corporate baseball game" on, say, Saturday Aug 25 as discussed here.

http://www.rogerscentre.com/corporate/venue_corp_baseball.jsp

Wouldn't it be interesting to find out if the stadium was available.

Ballstothewall
02-21-2012, 05:52 PM
I highly doubt Rogers is giving the Argos the boot after the Grey Cup, 1. it's bad P.R and 2. they also need time to design how its all going to work. Let alone the time they would need to actually make it all happen. If Rogers does actually intend on making the Skydome baseball specific, the Argos in theory have 2-5 years to figure something out.

Rogers would have no issue's kicking the Argos out at the end of the season. This is a company that plastered a huge photo on the side of their building of another leagues QB ( very few Argo fans complained). This is a company that over the last 3 years have provided the Argos with 12 dates to pick their 10 games. This is a company who has poured millions into another league, while providing the CFL and Argos will little to no support. This is a company who has called having the Argos as a tenant a nuisance. Everyone knows, that if you go to a Jays game with 18,000 people, most of the concession are opened, the bar carts are everywhere and food vendor walk the area. Go to that same 18,000 Argo game and what happens. Food concession are closed, you have to line up for hours for a beer and the list could go on and on. Rogers has tested the PR fallout from treating the Argos like shi& and found there is little or no push back from the fans. argo fans just sit there and take it for the most part. One thing i will give TFC fans, they organize as a group. There is power in numbers. Argo fans need to start doing this. However Rogers will have NO PR concerns if they kick the Argos out in 2012. Big Phil will sign off and it and not lose one once of sleep over it

R.J
02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Rogers would have no issue's kicking the Argos out at the end of the season. This is a company that plastered a huge photo on the side of their building of another leagues QB ( very few Argo fans complained). This is a company that over the last 3 years have provided the Argos with 12 dates to pick their 10 games. This is a company who has poured millions into another league, while providing the CFL and Argos will little to no support. This is a company who has called having the Argos as a tenant a nuisance. Everyone knows, that if you go to a Jays game with 18,000 people, most of the concession are opened, the bar carts are everywhere and food vendor walk the area. Go to that same 18,000 Argo game and what happens. Food concession are closed, you have to line up for hours for a beer and the list could go on and on. Rogers has tested the PR fallout from treating the Argos like shi& and found there is little or no push back from the fans. argo fans just sit there and take it for the most part. One thing i will give TFC fans, they organize as a group. There is power in numbers. Argo fans need to start doing this. However Rogers will have NO PR concerns if they kick the Argos out in 2012. Big Phil will sign off and it and not lose one once of sleep over itWell then I suppose by your logic and including the fact that the Bills in Toronto series most likely will continue, Rogers will be booting the Argos out after the 100th Grey Cup. Looks like both the Ticats and Argos will be homeless for the 2013 season. As for the fan-base, the Argos have a relatively weak fan-base and a lot of closet fans, it kind of hard to make noise when there's only 108 fans on the forum. So I suppose the critics are right the Argos shouldn't exist in Toronto anymore, we're clearly not wanted.

Ballstothewall
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Well then I suppose by your logic and including the fact that the Bills in Toronto series most likely will continue, Rogers will be booting the Argos out after the 100th Grey Cup. Looks like both the Ticats and Argos will be homeless for the 2013 season. As for the fan-base, the Argos have a relatively weak fan-base and a lot of closet fans, it kind of hard to make noise when there's only 108 fans on the forum. So I suppose the critics are right the Argos shouldn't exist in Toronto anymore, we're clearly not wanted.

HOw about getting some of the 800,000 people who watch the Argos every week on TV, lots coming from the GTA, to make some noise about stuff like this. That the issue, there is lots of Argo fans in the GTA, there just to quiet. If you go by TV ratings the Argos have the second highest fan base in T.O

Will
02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
HOw about getting some of the 800,000 people who watch the Argos every week on TV, lots coming from the GTA, to make some noise about stuff like this. That the issue, there is lots of Argo fans in the GTA, there just to quiet. If you go by TV ratings the Argos have the second highest fan base in T.O

How do we find that which doesn't want to be found?

shayman
02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
So the Bills were going to play at Skydome on Sun Aug 26, and the Argos on Mon Aug 27. But now the Bills game has been moved back to Buffalo -

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1134440--bills-preseason-football-game-at-rogers-centre-moved-back-to-buffalo?bn=1

I wonder if the Argos bizarre Monday game can be moved back to Saturday now with the Bills out of the way.

argolio
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I wonder if the Argos bizarre Monday game can be moved back to Saturday now with the Bills out of the way.That would make a lot of sense.

argofandave
02-22-2012, 01:05 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. I sent my Argos rep an email asking if the game could be moved to the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of that weekend. Perhaps other people could do the same.

ArgoRavi
02-22-2012, 01:26 AM
If you believe Keith Pelley, the Bills could have played at SkyDome on Sunday the 26th so the Argo game could potentially be moved to that day at least. I would imagine that the Saturday would be available too as the NFL teams would have been allowed a walk-through on that day. As long as TSN is okay with a scheduling change, there shouldn't be any reason that the Argo game can't be moved up a day or two.

Ron
02-22-2012, 01:48 AM
If you believe Keith Pelley, the Bills could have played at SkyDome on Sunday the 26th so the Argo game could potentially be moved to that day at least. I would imagine that the Saturday would be available too as the NFL teams would have been allowed a walk-through on that day. As long as TSN is okay with a scheduling change, there shouldn't be any reason that the Argo game can't be moved up a day or two.

First: You are right. It should be possible. The CFL and Argos have to get on it (TODAY! Highest priority possible) and not let it slide or Rogers will fill that date with another event (and get all the blame naturally)

Second: How dare you state "If you believe Keith Pelley" :love:

argonaut11xx
02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Hmmm....so the Argo's are playing the Lions on Sept 15th/2012. Me and my hunny Lil Bec are getting married that same day in Vancouver. (where she is originally from).

So, im asking some advise from my fellow Argofans....

Our service is at 1pm, the game is at 4pm....that gives us alittle less than 3 hours for dancing and food, then we could kinda have a mini honeymoon at the game.

Is it worth suggesting, would it cause me an instant death? or maybe just some big screens in the reception hall would be better?

I dont want to be rude by wearing headphone's with the radio on, listening to the game during the reception, so..idea's..i need idea's

Mulder
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Hmmm....so the Argo's are playing the Lions on Sept 15th/2012. Me and my hunny Lil Bec are getting married that same day in Vancouver. (where she is originally from).

So, im asking some advise from my fellow Argofans....

Our service is at 1pm, the game is at 4pm....that gives us alittle less than 3 hours for dancing and food, then we could kinda have a mini honeymoon at the game.

Is it worth suggesting, would it cause me an instant death? or maybe just some big screens in the reception hall would be better?

I dont want to be rude by wearing headphone's with the radio on, listening to the game during the reception, so..idea's..i need idea's

I wasn't allowed to attend the home game the day before my wedding. I missed 3 games in 2010 because of it! (Engagement photos, Wedding and Honeymoon)

Can always suggest, depends on how you planned your wedding.

argomANIA
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Who plans their wedding during the season?!? I wouldn't commit to a date till the schedule came out. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

T-Bone
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Who plans their wedding during the season?!? I wouldn't commit to a date till the schedule came out. My husband thinks I'm nuts.Ya, but you are.

argomANIA
02-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Ya, but you are.

What are you my work husband now?

1argoholic
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
My wife and I are both serious CFL fans so I can't even relate. We'd be at the game at 4pm. Switch your wedding to Sunday or have the wedding party at the game. Schedule the dancing, party and dinner for after the game. The game will be over by 7pm. Everyone will be happy. Plus this is the year that Toronto will finally have their first win in Vancouver since the summer of 02. They have to win here once before we move back to Ontario.
Remember the wedding is your day too!!!! haha. Marriage is all about two people and both of their needs and you need to be at the game. haha.

johnnyice
02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
​Do not like the mid week games ; Mon , Wed , Thurs . The Fri , Sat & Sun games were by far the most accessible .

Will
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
​Do not like the mid week games ; Mon , Wed , Thurs . The Fri , Sat & Sun games were by far the most accessible .

From Sarnia, I definitely bet that weekend games are the most accessible for you. If we've established one thing it's that many Argo fans are coming from outside the 416. The question is whether they're coming in from inner 905 suburbs such as Peel, Southern York and Western Durham or whether there are people having to come in from Northern York, Eastern Durham and beyond. We've already got a fair number of people on this site living in places like Belleville, Bowmanville and Stratford.

ArgoDave
02-22-2012, 08:25 PM

And why a season ending Thursday night game when the Jays never play in November? I think this will be my last year as a Seasons Ticket holder. I've had enough, every year the same damn thing. Due to the need to find a new job and the unlikelihood of being able to leave a new job early enough to catch weeknight games like I've had to do so many times in the past I'm gonna waste many of my tickets I suppose. My 14 year streak comes to a grinding halt.

Sad thing is I'm not even angry. I just don't care anymore. I can't even make it to the home opener this year since I already have plans...figures the rare time it's not a Thursday opener and I can't make it, go figure. :rolleyes:

matchuk
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
awful schedule...last year i only had to book 1 day off work for all the games, this year, its gonna be 8 days! good bye vacation time...

johnnyice
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Agreed ! This is def not a fan friendly sched ; is there a logical reason for this , is Roger's playing hardball ?

I'll one can say is until they have their own home they'll get screwed by the Rogers. This will do zero for drawing more folks to games.

Agreed ! This is def not a fan friendly sched ; is there a logical reason for this , is Roger's playing hardball ?

The League schedule is very much dependent on the available dates at the Rogers Centre, I would think the League is trying very hard to bring up attendance in Southern Ontario, Rogers is helping.

July 13, 14 ,15 >> Baseball ;
Aug 6th , could have played 3,4,5
Aug 25 is open ; why Aug 27th ?
Oct 8 , the 6 & 7 th are open .
Thurs Nov 1 ?? , 2 , 3 ,4 open .

Ample chance for afternoon games .

Will
02-22-2012, 11:09 PM

The time needed for Skydome to convert from baseball to football seems to have gotten longer and longer since 1989. I don't know though, maybe there's something different in the process that slows down the conversion.

Depending on who you talk to, yes, Rogers is playing hardball.

ArgoRavi
02-22-2012, 11:34 PM
The time needed for Skydome to convert from baseball to football seems to have gotten longer and longer since 1989. I don't know though, maybe there's something different in the process that slows down the conversion.

Depending on who you talk to, yes, Rogers is playing hardball.

IIRC, the turnaround time back in '89 was 24 hours. Today it is 72 hours.

Invader
02-23-2012, 12:05 AM
As with most dual-use stadiums the turnaround time used to be 24 hrs at Skydome. Then in mid-season CFL a few years back Rogers said they now needed 48 hrs and the Argos might have to re-schedule some of their games because the stadium might not be ready in time.

Despite being give 48 hrs, two seasons ago Rogers left the baseball diamond on the field for Argo games, red cinders and all...although they seemed to have resolved that issue.

Then last year a player was injured at RC after slipping on some bare concrete not far from the playing surface. That area should be covered with turf.

What's up with the turf at RC? It looks more white than green and you can see visible seams on TV. That couldn't be the same nice green turf they use for BJ and Bills games?

Mulder
02-23-2012, 12:20 AM
And why a season ending Thursday night game when the Jays never play in November? I think this will be my last year as a Seasons Ticket holder. I've had enough, every year the same damn thing. Due to the need to find a new job and the unlikelihood of being able to leave a new job early enough to catch weeknight games like I've had to do so many times in the past I'm gonna waste many of my tickets I suppose. My 14 year streak comes to a grinding halt.

Sad thing is I'm not even angry. I just don't care anymore. I can't even make it to the home opener this year since I already have plans...figures the rare time it's not a Thursday opener and I can't make it, go figure. :rolleyes:

Jen and I are going to be in the same boat next year. We drive 2+ hours to games one way. We are lucky enough that her parents are in Markham. So at least weekend/Friday/Holiday games we can make weekend out of it. Thursday? Monday non-holiday? Wednesday?

We may be skipping some games this season. Pre-season is probably not going to be worth the drive for us.

Next year I'll wait to renew until after the schedule. If it's crap again. We may not renew sadly.

T-Bone
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
As with most dual-use stadiums the turnaround time used to be 24 hrs at Skydome. Then in mid-season CFL a few years back Rogers said they now needed 48 hrs and the Argos might have to re-schedule some of their games because the stadium might not be ready in time.

Despite being give 48 hrs, two seasons ago Rogers left the baseball diamond on the field for Argo games, red cinders and all...although they seemed to have resolved that issue.

Then last year a player was injured at RC after slipping on some bare concrete not far from the playing surface. That area should be covered with turf.

What's up with the turf at RC? It looks more white than green and you can see visible seams on TV. That couldn't be the same nice green turf they use for BJ and Bills games?I know the turf has changed 3 times since Rogers Centre opened in 1989. There was the original Astro Turf from 1989-2004. That stuff was like large pieces of carpet that would get rolled out. In 2005 they changed to Field Turf (http://www.fieldturf.com/artificial-turf-how-fieldturf-works/) which looked like and simulated real grass. It was made of large individual trays which took longer to convert then the old Astro Turf. In 2010 they changed to a new type of Astro Turf GameDay Grass 3D (http://www.astroturfusa.com/GameDay-Grass.aspx) that still looks like and simulates real grass but is easier and faster to convert then the individual Field Turf trays. It may still take longer to convert though then the original Astro Turf, I don't know. Also after the new Astro Turf was installed I don't believe there was any base dirt left out for when the Argos played. After the player injury last season at the next Argo game I did notice they put down some black SoftTiles (http://www.softtiles.com/) in the concrete areas just off the Astro Turf. I didn't notice what you mentioned about the way the turf looks on TV.

Update: It's been brought to my attention that from 1989-2004 there may have been two sets of turf. Same make but one for the Argos and one for the Jays and that the lines were permanent on each set of turf. I know for the 2005-2009 Field Turf and the current Astro Turf the lines for Jays and Argos are chalked on and removed for each team which would add time to conversation.

marcwagz
02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
you guys are letting rogers curb you enthusiasm
that was probably their plan all along.

Will
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
The 70-18 victory over Calgary in 1990 was almost postponed because the conversion from baseball to footbal hadn't been done properly. There were mounds from where the bases were, which posed a danger to the players. Who was the president of the company that owned Skydome in 1990 I might ask?

Richard Peddie

Ron
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
First: You are right. It should be possible. The CFL and Argos have to get on it (TODAY! Highest priority possible) and not let it slide or Rogers will fill that date with another event (and get all the blame naturally)

Nothing yet on the date change. What are the Argos waiting for? At the very least they should tell the fans/public that they want to make the move. It's not incumbent upon Rogers to offer it to them.

Then again it could be like all other things Argo and they may not even know what Pelley said.

KCargosfan
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Then again it could be like all other things Argo and they may not even know what Pelley said.

lol.........

argolio
02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
According to the two morning boobs on the Fan radio (or Sportsnet, or whatever it's called now), there really is a big event scheduled for that Saturday, and it will be announced soon.

ArgoRavi
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
According to the two morning boobs on the Fan radio (or Sportsnet, or whatever it's called now), there really is a big event scheduled for that Saturday, and it will be announced soon.

That is a good characterization of Lang and Brady. I am so disappointed in what Jim Lang has become. Whatever is scheduled for that Saturday is an event that would not interfere with football on the Sunday as that was when the Bills were supposed to play.

ticatfan
02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
And importantly, where will the tailgates occur? Is the tiny lot still there?

Invader
02-24-2012, 06:40 PM
800,000 ? League averaged about 700K viewers this season (TSN and RDS combined) Argos and Ticats season ender only managed 400K viewers, to put in perspective that's the lowest number the league has seen since Aug 2009 (when the old ratings system was still being used).

The Lions, Esks and Stamps are popular on TV, too, but those teams blackout some home games which aren't sold-out. The Lions blacked-out the first two home games in the renovated BC Place last year. It's a lot to ask of non-diehard fans to trek out to Skydome to watch the Argos when they know all the home games are on TV for free. This will kill a team's season ticket base in large stadiums. Toronto has the lowest season ticket sales in the league.

The Blue Jays are very clearly the number 2 watched team in the GTA, as over 83% of their 500K average tv viewing audience came from the GTA.

I wouldn't say the Blue Jays are clearly "number 2". We should remember the BJ's use a "2+ ratings system" in their TV ratings claims, which essentially doubles their actual ratings. The media normally just re-prints Rogers news releases without verification.

Here's a news release from last season:

The Jays made incredible gains on Canadian football as the top summer sports property in Canada.

Toronto Blue Jays audiences reached new heights this season on Rogers Sportsnet with an average television audience of 507,000 (2+)*, the network’s highest-season average ever.

Jays on Sportsnet audiences were up 17 per cent compared to the 2010 average of 437,000 viewers. The 2011 season opener is the biggest Jays audience in the network’s history as 976,000 (2+) tuned in for the Jays’ 13-3 victory over the Minnesota Twins. In addition, Sportsnet’s biggest audience this season for a West-Coast start (10 p.m. ET) was 527,000 (2+) as viewers tuned in for Canadian Brett Lawrie’s first game played just outside his native Vancouver, against the Seattle Mariners on Aug. 15.

According to BBM Canada, through the end of the 2011 season, Sportsnet attracted an average audience of 100,000 in Adults 18-34, compared to an average of 86,000 over the same period last year, while Men 18-34 averaged 64,000 viewers, compared to 55,000 last year.

* Source: BBM Canada (Data is unconfirmed and numbers are subject to change)

According to a the CanadianSportsMedia blog:

Sportsnet is using total viewers (2+), which, as I understand it, assumes that for every TV that is on, two people are watching. In comparison, Sports Broadcast Daily is just using total households for the Red Sox ratings, which only counts the number of TV watching (and not how many people are watching each TV). So double the U.S. numbers to get something somewhat comparable to Sportsnet’s numbers.

Comment by canadiansportsmedia— 4 October, 2011

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/blue-jays-audiences-up-17-in-2011/

:confused:

R.J
02-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Everyone uses 2+, Mulder and I already went through this, P2+ or 2+ means persons over the age of 2, that is how BBM releases their ratings for the most part. However in media statements Rogers is the only company that always seems state P2+, from a lot of what I've seen most other networks just give the viewers, however there's a lot more to it, like 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 etc.
http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_programs_english/2012/nat02132012.pdf, look at the top right corner [Total 2+ AMA (000)]

Also should look over this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audience_measurement

Ron
02-24-2012, 08:54 PM
The Lions, Esks and Stamps are popular on TV, too, but those teams blackout some home games which aren't sold-out. The Lions blacked-out the first two home games in the renovated BC Place last year. It's a lot to ask of non-diehard fans to trek out to Skydome to watch the Argos when they know all the home games are on TV for free. This will kill a team's season ticket base in large stadiums. Toronto has the lowest season ticket sales in the league.

In the past when the Argos blacked out a home game ... the attendance dropped.

Not all markets are the same. It's the Argos job to fill the seats ... like they did just a few seasons ago when no one thought they could.

R.J
02-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Not all markets are the same. It's the Argos job to fill the seats ... like they did just a few seasons ago when no one thought they could.By giving away free tickets like when C+S were here ?

Invader
02-25-2012, 03:26 AM
In the past when the Argos blacked out a home game ... the attendance dropped.

Not all markets are the same. It's the Argos job to fill the seats ... like they did just a few seasons ago when no one thought they could.

The Argos have only blacked out a couple of games over the past 20 seasons, so that's not really a fair test of its effectiveness. Blacking out one game will have very little effect of ticket sales. Most Fans are too disengaged from the team to even hear about the blackout message and respond by buying tickets to that game. They will only notice when the Argos home games are no longer on TV. If they can't sell 26,000 tickets the Argos should blackout the entire season if the can. Then over several years fans should clue in and realize they must buy tickets to see the home games. While the TV ratings are good, CFL teams earn practically nothing from TV, about $1.5 million a year (which includes the Grey Cup). That is a drop in the bucket for a successful team like the Riders who posted $38 million in revenues last season.

Teams can only survive if fans buy tickets, even in the NFL. The Argos cannot carry on much longer with mostly TV fans. The team has only covered it's operating expenses a couple of seasons over the past 30 years and has survived only by the generosity of a series of well-meaning owners.

First the Argos season's ticket base must be strengthened to a minimum 15,000, then add-in Toronto's strong walk-up crowd which could push attendance nearer the league average of 28,000.

While blackouts are a dirty word, especially in hockey, how else can TV fans be pushed to buy tickets? The Argos must try something as the status quo is unacceptable. If there are few takers, then we should face facts and realize a pro football team is unsustainable in this market.

Mulder
02-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Everyone uses 2+, Mulder and I already went through this, P2+ or 2+ means persons over the age of 2, that is how BBM releases their ratings for the most part. However in media statements Rogers is the only company that always seems state P2+, from a lot of what I've seen most other networks just give the viewers, however there's a lot more to it, like 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 etc.
http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_programs_english/2012/nat02132012.pdf, look at the top right corner [Total 2+ AMA (000)]

Also should look over this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audience_measurement

Regardless I still think the Jays numbers last year were inflated. Rogers being the same company owns the team and that deliveries the TV service has the ability to manipulate numbers, and a reason for doing so.

R.J
02-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Regardless I still think the Jays numbers last year were inflated. Rogers being the same company owns the team and that deliveries the TV service has the ability to manipulate numbers, and a reason for doing so.
While I don't think its impossible it's highly unlikely Mulder, Rogers has no control over the ratings system or how they're taken, Rogers pays BBM Canada for the ratings service just like every other network, they can ask BBM to look for specific ratings, such as Men 18-34, P 25-54 etc, but that's about it. Rogers can only "manipulate" numbers by their coverage I suppose, by deciding how many customers have Sportsnet or SportsOne that have Rogers cable, but can't control Bell, Cogeco, Shaw etc. Yes, the numbers were inflated but I think that has more to do with the ratings system being flawed then Rogers.

BTW there are 2 ratings myths I should point out, #1. being that Bars/restaurants don't count, you can't count how many people are watching at bars, but if someone with a PPM is at a bar it can count how many people are watching at that specific bar/restaurant. #2. being how the American Networks don't count, if a game or show is being simulcast on both networks, the ratings are combined, so as an example Sunday Night Football airs on TSN and NBC, if you're watching NBC and you see the TSN or CTV symbol in one of the corners, it's simulcast and both ratings count. Only way it doesn't count is if the Canadian network and American network are showing different feeds and a big hint is if you're watching something and all you see is American adverts, you're watching American tv which doesn't count in our ratings. Obviously unless you're considered a bbm home it doesn't really matter anyways.

Mulder
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
While I don't think its impossible it's highly unlikely Mulder, Rogers has no control over the ratings system or how they're taken, Rogers pays BBM Canada for the ratings service just like every other network, they can ask BBM to look for specific ratings, such as Men 18-34, P 25-54 etc, but that's about it. Rogers can only "manipulate" numbers by their coverage I suppose, by deciding how many customers have Sportsnet or SportsOne that have Rogers cable, but can't control Bell, Cogeco, Shaw etc. Yes, the numbers were inflated but I think that has more to do with the ratings system being flawed then Rogers.

BTW there are 2 ratings myths I should point out, #1. being that Bars/restaurants don't count, you can't count how many people are watching at bars, but if someone with a PPM is at a bar it can count how many people are watching at that specific bar/restaurant. #2. being how the American Networks don't count, if a game or show is being simulcast on both networks, the ratings are combined, so as an example Sunday Night Football airs on TSN and NBC, if you're watching NBC and you see the TSN or CTV symbol in one of the corners, it's simulcast and both ratings count. Only way it doesn't count is if the Canadian network and American network are showing different feeds and a big hint is if you're watching something and all you see is American adverts, you're watching American tv which doesn't count in our ratings. Obviously unless you're considered a bbm home it doesn't really matter anyways.

I read somewhere that the Jays TV ratings were 2 times higher than the Yankee's last season. That to me doesn't make sense.

R.J
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Here's some ratings breakdown for the Jay in 2010. http://www.sportsnetsales.ca/show.php?id=13

Also Mulder you have to keep in mind that the majority of Yankees games are available on the YES network, which is regional and just in the New York area, also even their afternoon games on Fox or other networks are usually also regional, if it is broadcast Yankees average over 2 million audience views. The Jays are usually shown Nationally, whether on Sportsnet One or the other four Sportsnet channels, so a bit of an unfair comparison. The Jays do have one of the highest tv ratings in the MLB, but again that's because majority of their games are aired Nationally, every team in the states has a regional deal.

I also made a mistake previously as 52 % of the Blue Jays ratings audience come from Southern Ontario, 70% of the viewing audience comes from the entire province.

marcwagz
02-25-2012, 11:07 PM
if the argos ever blackout games i'd have to top supporting the team
its not realistic to take an hour bus ride then a half hour city bus route to every game and just watching the road games would tick me of something fierce.

AngeloV
02-26-2012, 11:25 AM

For the record, When TSN or Sportsnet pick up NFL games, they are not simulcast. That is why CTV picks up the NFL playoff and Superbowl games, because it ensures a higher audience which allows them to boost what they charge for a commercial.

R.J
02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
For the record, When TSN or Sportsnet pick up NFL games, they are not simulcast. That is why CTV picks up the NFL playoff and Superbowl games, because it ensures a higher audience which allows them to boost what they charge for a commercial.
Some games are actually, not all but some, I've seen the ratings breakdown. But whatever you want to think fine by me.

paulwoods13
02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Some games are actually, not all but some, I've seen the ratings breakdown. But whatever you want to think fine by me.

No, AV was correct. Under their licence conditions, cable channels like TSN and Sportsnet are not allowed to substitute Cdn commercials when simulcasting an American program. So if TSN shows an NFL game that is also on a U.S. network available in Cda, it shows its own commercials and viewers tuned to the U.S. network see the U.S. commercials. That's why the Super Bowl will always be simulcast on an over-the-air network -- doing that means everyone watching on cable or legal satellite in Cda sees the Cdn commercials regardless of which station they are actually tuned to.

R.J
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
No, AV was correct. Under their licence conditions, cable channels like TSN and Sportsnet are not allowed to substitute Cdn commercials when simulcasting an American program. So if TSN shows an NFL game that is also on a U.S. network available in Cda, it shows its own commercials and viewers tuned to the U.S. network see the U.S. commercials. That's why the Super Bowl will always be simulcast on an over-the-air network -- doing that means everyone watching on cable or legal satellite in Cda sees the Cdn commercials regardless of which station they are actually tuned to.
Actually paul, TSN and Sportsnet use simsubs, so its not a direct simulcast as some commercials are different, but for the most part the same feed is used. Look it up, I'm not going to debate about something like this, there are different forms of simulcasting and I'll leave it at that.

Simulcasting is not as black and white and yourself (paulwoods13) and AV are making it seem. Simulcasting on cable channels are different, because of subscription fees, which is why the CRTC has rules put in place. Broadcast tv can charge more for adverts, because of lack of subscription fees and availability in homes, TSN and Sportsnet still do get a cut from simulcasting, "they" can't change the commericals, but NBC can if asked by the networks, there are so many loopholes to simulcasting.

paulwoods13
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Simulcasting is not as black and white and yourself (paulwoods13) and AV are making it seem. Simulcasting on cable channels are different, because of subscription fees, which is why the CRTC has rules put in place. Broadcast tv can charge more for adverts, because of lack of subscription fees and availability in homes, TSN and Sportsnet still do get a cut from simulcasting, "they" can't change the commericals, but NBC can if asked by the networks, there are so many loopholes to simulcasting.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, but if it is that cable channels such as TSN have the ability to apply signal substitution, whereby their programming (including all the commercial spots they sold) gets moved by cable companies to replace the U.S. signal, I don't believe that is the case. As far as I know, only conventional over-the-air broadcasters have the ability to do that under CRTC regs. If you can point to evidence that cable nets can do this and have done so in the past, I'd like to see it.

I'm not arguing that TSN can't simulcast the (for instance) CBS feed of an NFL game, but it can't have its own full signal, commercials included, replace CBS on cable feeds. I have observed many examples of what I'm talking about, as recently as last Sunday when TSN ran NBC's coverage of a hockey game. I watched it on NBC and saw American commercials, not the ads TSN sold (unlike what would have happened if the game was being shown on both NBC and CTV, for instance, when even if I tuned to the NBC station I would have seen the CTV feed).

R.J
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to say, but if it is that cable channels such as TSN have the ability to apply signal substitution, whereby their programming (including all the commercial spots they sold) gets moved by cable companies to replace the U.S. signal, I don't believe that is the case. As far as I know, only conventional over-the-air broadcasters have the ability to do that under CRTC regs. If you can point to evidence that cable nets can do this and have done so in the past, I'd like to see it.

I'm not arguing that TSN can't simulcast the (for instance) CBS feed of an NFL game, but it can't have its own full signal, commercials included, replace CBS on cable feeds. I have observed many examples of what I'm talking about, as recently as last Sunday when TSN ran NBC's coverage of a hockey game. I watched it on NBC and saw American commercials, not the ads TSN sold (unlike what would have happened if the game was being shown on both NBC and CTV, for instance, when even if I tuned to the NBC station I would have seen the CTV feed).Paul the most simplistic example I can give is Scotiabanks sponsorship of the NHL, because of the deal Scotiabank has with the NHL in Canada, Cable channels and the big four networks in the States can make exceptions for certain advertisers up here, even with NBC sports broadcasts that are shown up here TSN is allowed to air Scotiabank commericals and Tim Hortons Canada adverts as well. The NFL you could use Nestle Canada as an example, as they advertise on the TSN feed and even NBC's. It depends on the sponsor and if NBC or CBS agree to it, even on the NBC Sunday Night Football feed sometimes you see adverts for the NFL on CTV. Most adverts will be American, but the networks can agree to allow certain sponsors and adverts in, and because of the dual feed, TSN and sportsnet do get extra fees.

Another example is the Bills in Toronto series, the 20120 regular season game was simulcast on both CityTV and Sportsnet using the same "Canadian" feed, IIRC the 2011 game was only on Citytv, but I could be mistaken.

paulwoods13
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Paul the most simplistic example I can give is Scotiabanks sponsorship of the NHL, because of the deal Scotiabank has with the NHL in Canada, Cable channels and the big four networks in the States can make exceptions for certain advertisers up here, even with NBC sports broadcasts that are shown up here TSN is allowed to air Scotiabank commericals and Tim Hortons Canada adverts as well. The NFL you could use Nestle Canada as an example, as they advertise on the TSN feed and even NBC's. It depends on the sponsor and if NBC or CBS agree to it, even on the NBC Sunday Night Football feed sometimes you see adverts for the NFL on CTV. Most adverts will be American, but the networks can agree to allow certain sponsors and adverts in, and because of the dual feed, TSN and sportsnet do get extra fees.

I'm even more confused by what point you are trying to make. When TSN simulcasts an NBC hockey game, it (TSN) sells ads to whomever it wants (for instance Scotiabank and Tim Hortons). Cdn viewers who tune to TSN via cable see the ads that were sold by TSN. NBC sells ads to whomever it wants (for instance Citibank and Jack in the Box), and Cdn viewers who tune to NBC via cable see the ads that were sold by NBC. NBC is obviously free to sell an ad to a Cdn company, but I would suggest it hardly ever does so because Canada is not part of the market it is selling to advertisers. TSN is also free to sell an ad to an American company, but again, it hardly ever happens. Obviously there are many products and services sold in both countries (for instance Pepsi), and on rare occasions it might make sense for the exact same commercial to be placed on stations in both markets. But when TSN or Sportsnet pick up a game feed from an American net, the two broadcasts are completely separate and there is no signal substitution, i.e. TSN's signal never replaces an NBC signal on any cable company.

Your original post said: BTW there are 2 ratings myths I should point out . . . #2. being how the American Networks don't count, if a game or show is being simulcast on both networks, the ratings are combined, so as an example Sunday Night Football airs on TSN and NBC, if you're watching NBC and you see the TSN or CTV symbol in one of the corners, it's simulcast and both ratings count. Only way it doesn't count is if the Canadian network and American network are showing different feeds and a big hint is if you're watching something and all you see is American adverts, you're watching American tv which doesn't count in our ratings.

AV then attempted to explain that when TSN airs Sunday Night Football, the TSN signal is not subsituted for the NBC signal by cable companies. He used the word "simulcast" which may be the source of confusion. Simulcasting -- showing the same program simultaneously -- is not the same as signal subsitution, which happens when the cable companies eliminate the American network signal altogether and show the Cdn signal on both spots on the dial. That practice -- signal substitution -- is allowed for Cdn over-the-air networks like CTV, but not for Cdn cable nets like TSN. BBM measures who is watching TSN when it shows Sunday Night Football, and also measures who is watching NBC's simultaneous broadcast. I cannot believe that TSN would somehow get "credit" for viewers tuned to NBC who are watching NBC commercials, not TSN commercials -- if that is what you are suggesting.

argolio
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
its not realistic to take an hour bus ride then a half hour city bus route to every game and just watching the road games would tick me of something fierce.The Argos will never go back to blacking out all their games. Those dark ages are long gone.

Invader
02-27-2012, 12:44 AM
The Argos will never go back to blacking out all their games. Those dark ages are long gone.
Well, the Argos could blackout half their home games, not all. The couple of Bills games were blacked-out last season, so I guess the NFL is in the Dark Ages, too? Would you rather the Argos franchise went bankrupt rather than instituting home game blackouts when less than 26,000 tickets are sold? [p.s. 26,000 seats is my compromise blackout threshold: a half-filled Skydome].

Instead of following the league's blackout policy which is adhered to by most CFL and NFL teams, how do you propose the Argos sell more seasons tickets? Some may suggest, just by having a "winning" team will attract more fans. The problem is teams can't win every year. It just isn't feasible to rely on a winning team to sell tickets. Then does the team go bankrupt if they go a losing trend? That's why football teams need a solid seasons ticket base, to smooth over the lean years with fans who are committed to the team, win or lose.

The CFL's current blackout policy is radically different than in the so-called "lost generation" era. Back then, Argo games were blacked-out if the Ticats were playing on the same day, that doesn't happen anymore. And were only talking about blacking out 4 or 5 of the 18 Argos games, to be used as a marketing tool to sell season's tickets. (Blackout zone is within a 50km radius of Skydome.) If the Argos can draw 26,000 or more fans, no game will ever be blacked-out.

BAN THE BLACKOUT! Buy Argos Season's Tickets!! Order Today and Save 25%!!!

T-Bone
02-27-2012, 09:05 AM
its not realistic to take an hour bus ride then a half hour city bus route to every game and just watching the road games would tick me of something fierce.No offence, I know everyone's situation is different but many people travel an hour and a half or longer one way to get to each game.

Ron
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, the Argos could blackout half their home games, not all. The couple of Bills games were blacked-out last season, so I guess the NFL is in the Dark Ages, too? Would you rather the Argos franchise went bankrupt rather than instituting home game blackouts when less than 26,000 tickets are sold? [p.s. 26,000 seats is my compromise blackout threshold: a half-filled Skydome].

Instead of following the league's blackout policy which is adhered to by most CFL and NFL teams, how do you propose the Argos sell more seasons tickets? Some may suggest, just by having a "winning" team will attract more fans. The problem is teams can't win every year. It just isn't feasible to rely on a winning team to sell tickets. Then does the team go bankrupt if they go a losing trend? That's why football teams need a solid seasons ticket base, to smooth over the lean years with fans who are committed to the team, win or lose.

The CFL's current blackout policy is radically different than in the so-called "lost generation" era. Back then, Argo games were blacked-out if the Ticats were playing on the same day, that doesn't happen anymore. And were only talking about blacking out 4 or 5 of the 18 Argos games, to be used as a marketing tool to sell season's tickets. (Blackout zone is within a 50km radius of Skydome.) If the Argos can draw 26,000 or more fans, no game will ever be blacked-out.

BAN THE BLACKOUT! Buy Argos Season's Tickets!! Order Today and Save 25%!!!

I have an idea. You call the Argos and tell them to black out 4-5 games. If they lose any sales because of that ... you'll make up the difference. :love:

R.J
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Argos should black out all of there games until people start going again, yeah it might fail miserably, but all the games are on tv now and people still don't show up. Toronto shouldn't be in the league, with the fan base they have. The Argo fan base is almost no existent and are the least engaged fans I can think of in any sports city.

T-Bone
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Toronto shouldn't be in the league, with the fan base they have. The Argo fan base is almost no existent and are the least engaged fans I can think of in any sports city.No offence but weren't you arguing how popular the Argos are not that long ago?

marcwagz
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
No offence, I know everyone's situation is different but many people travel an hour and a half or longer one way to get to each game.
do they have to pay 40 bucks for 2 separate bus tickets and 5 bucks for a transport pass?
Not to mention, yes it is 1 and a half hours on the bus, but its another half hour waiting at the station
how do you expect to attract young fans if you give them no way to get to the games?
maybe I'll drop out of university and get a job at a gas station so I can afford it.

Will
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
do they have to pay 40 bucks for 2 separate bus tickets and 5 bucks for a transport pass?
Not to mention, yes it is 1 and a half hours on the bus, but its another half hour waiting at the station
how do you expect to attract young fans if you give them no way to get to the games?
maybe I'll drop out of university and get a job at a gas station so I can afford it.

Relax, T-Bone concedes that things can be different from one person to the next.

R.J
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
No offence but weren't you arguing how popular the Argos are not that long ago?lol yes I was T-bone, was just making an observation, there seems to be a lot of excuses for fans not going to games. So it makes me wonder if the Argos left would it make a sound ? And were you not the one who brought up that tv ratings don't mean everything ?

maybe I'll drop out of university and get a job at a gas station so I can afford it.Nothing wrong with working at a gas station :)

Invader
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Argos should black out all of there games until people start going again, yeah it might fail miserably, but all the games are on tv now and people still don't show up. Toronto shouldn't be in the league, with the fan base they have. The Argo fan base is almost no existent and are the least engaged fans I can think of in any sports city.
I wouldn't agree the Argo fan base is almost non-existent, they're just spread out rather thinly across the metropolis. 100,000 or more Torotonians regularly watch the Argos on TV, home and away. The previous ownership proved 30,000 Argo fans will come out to Skydome, albeit with many of them getting free tickets...with an exciting team and an upbeat atmosphere. The Argos have been fairly drab the past couple of seasons, which I think boils down to poor QB'ing. Fans identify with the starting QB. He's the figure-head for the team and fans. Lemon or Cody Pickett just didn't cut the mustard...and you can't fool the fans.

CFL teams use TV broadcasts to promote the team and sell tickets. If the team is exciting, some TV fans may buy tickets to the next game. But if the team is boring, TV fans may choose to stay away. CFL football is a terrific TV sport. I actually prefer to watch on TV, mainly because I'm really cheap and don't like to leave home unless I have to. When I lived in Toronto in the 90's, all Argo home games were televised in Toronto but Ticat games were blacked-out. That made no sense to me, kind of backwards isn't it? Subsequently, I also became a Ticat fan, making the trek to Ivor Wynne as I didn't want to miss any games. I watched most Argo home games on TV, usually attending a couple of games live each season. With plenty of seats available and all the games are on TV, there was little reason to buy seasons tickets (I realize many fans also enjoy attending the games live). So blackouts are very effective in getting me to buy tickets. I'm sure there are many other TV fans in the same boat.

The unfortunate part is CFL teams rely on ticket sales to survive. The TV contract, sponsorships and merchandise sales help, but at least 50% of the Argos revenue is through ticket sales. Having a packed stadium also helps create a fun atmosphere at the games. The NFL recognizes the importance of having stadiums full of fans and their blackout policy is actually much stricter than the CFL...despite the NFL earning billions from TV. NFL teams earn about $150 million from TV...the Argos about $1.5 million. That is why ticket sales are so important to CFL teams...and why most teams adhere to the blackout policy.

Some may argue that Toronto is different than other markets...or the team will get "lost" in the shuffle if home games aren't televised...or the Leafs, Raptors and Jays televise all their home games without blackouts, so the Argos shouldn't be different...or ticket sales will drop with blackouts as some fans will want to "punish" the team for daring to blackout a home game (when Skydome is less than half full)...or the media will criticize the Argos for being "old fashioned" as none of the other major league teams blackout games (except the Bills this season). I say, who cares what the media thinks! All that really matters is selling tickets and paying the bills. If televising home games helps sell tickets, then all is good. But the Argos have been "promoting" home games on TV for the most part of 30 years and that hasn't translated into increased ticket sales...probably just the opposite (as SnowRogue alluded to with the "non-existent fanbase".)

With a huge stadium with plenty of good seats available and fans knowing all the home games on TV, there is just little incentive for non-diehard fans to buy seasons tickets. But Toronto fans have proven they will support the Argos with huge walk-up crowds when there's a compelling reason to attend...but it's the small season ticket base which is the crux of the problem. The Argos are starting with 10-12,000 seasons tickets and relying on single-game sales to fill the stadium. I believe for the team to be viable, the season ticket base needs to be built up to 15,000 or more. Blackouts are just one tool in the battle to attract the ticket-buying public to the stadium.

Another factor is how effective can blackouts be today, with HD networks ignoring the blackout edict and games readily available on the internet? But I believe its worth a try...because the current policies aren't working that well.

(p.s. Many will be glad to hear this will be my last post on this topic in this thread. Good luck and Go Argos!)

R.J
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't agree the Argo fan base is almost non-existent, they're just spread out rather thinly across the metropolis. 100,000 or more Torotonians regularly watch the Argos on TV, home and away. The previous ownership proved 30,000 Argo fans will come out to Skydome, albeit with many of them getting free tickets...with an exciting team and an upbeat atmosphere. The Argos have been fairly drab the past couple of seasons, which I think boils down to poor QB'ing. Fans identify with the starting QB. He's the figure-head for the team and fans. Lemon or Cody Pickett just didn't cut the mustard...and you can't fool the fans.That's fine most wouldn't agree or even admit it, but IMO they are non-existent, see any Argo Fans at the Grey Cup in Vancouver, even the media heads were talking about it. T.O fans don't care and don't want to be found, the next 2 season the Argos should sell well, but in 2014 problems will arise again. The League will eventually run out of humanitarians and patzys to own the team. I do agree about the blackouts though, but doubt many people would even notice let alone make noise about it, besides the league can only black out 2 Argo games and the black out is only on the SD feed, so people can still watch online, mobile, or HD.

Mulder
02-27-2012, 09:19 PM

$50 at least for gas round trip. Plus anywhere from $10 - $25 for parking. I leave work at at 4pm, and arrive downtown Toronto just after 6.

Ron
02-28-2012, 02:25 AM
That's fine most wouldn't agree or even admit it, but IMO they are non-existent, see any Argo Fans at the Grey Cup in Vancouver, even the media heads were talking about it. T.O fans don't care and don't want to be found, the next 2 season the Argos should sell well, but in 2014 problems will arise again. The League will eventually run out of humanitarians and patzys to own the team. I do agree about the blackouts though, but doubt many people would even notice let alone make noise about it, besides the league can only black out 2 Argo games and the black out is only on the SD feed, so people can still watch online, mobile, or HD.

I could be mistaken on this. But aren't all major sports teams in Toronto having all their games on TV? (Jays, Leafs, Raptors, Rock) I believe they found that TO sports fans do not care if a game is on TV or not when they decide to attend a game. You'll get some "CFL" fans seeing a game being blacked out ... but it won't make them attend if they weren't already going to so so.

The idea is that you can't take a system that happens to work elsewhere and expect it to work where it doesn't. In the past other CFL markets had blackouts but it did not have an effect long term. In Toronto they had blackouts and a generation was lost. The cookie cutter did not work.

It still comes down to one thing. To get the fans to come ... give them a reason to want to be there.

argonaut11xx
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
wow...so many interesting idea's and thoughts...

YES...the Argo's lost a generation of fans due to blackout's. Blackout's are a stop gap, short term solution for selling tickets, ..thats all.

I think the Argo's need to build a new fan base, from the bottom up....19-25 yr old's...

A party atmosphere, .... the "tailgate" like feeling...

How..??..in Toronto..i have NO idea...

BUT we need the young male demographic..yes they are rowdy..but they have LOTS of money to spend...get them hooked, and the Argo's will be fine.

Football is a rowdy , smashmouth, violent game...so appeal to those who relish it...(selling the "family atmosphere", obviously hasnt worked)..time to be somewhat more edgy...

(just my 2 cents)

Mulder
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
BUT we need the young male demographic..yes they are rowdy..but they have LOTS of money to spend...get them hooked, and the Argo's will be fine.

Football is a rowdy , smashmouth, violent game...so appeal to those who relish it...(selling the "family atmosphere", obviously hasnt worked)..time to be somewhat more edgy...

(just my 2 cents)

The problem with appealing to the family atmosphere, is that the young kids that the Argos have been trying to attract, can't buy tickets. And probably still won't beable to for another 5-15 years.

It's not that it hasn't worked. It's that it hasn't had enough time to work out.

There could very well be an explosion of young Argo fans coming. This is of course yet to be determined.

argonaut11xx
02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
There could very well be an explosion of young Argo fans coming. This is of course yet to be determined.

I wish your statement was true, however, it is not. The Argo's since before Sherwood Schwartz have been "patching and repairing" the good ship Argonaut. No owner has taken the time to do a proper "rebuild". This is why there is no explosion of under 18yrs fans on the immediate horizon. Again, build the fan base on those who would relish a sport which is basically "controlled violence". The crowd that loves UFC, Wrestling, Beer, and partying. Let them make an Argo game..the "place to be" for the younger crowd. The Argo's need to make it COOL...for the young male fan to wear a Ricky Ray Jersey to high school, or college. Yes it will upset some of the older fans, and tea toodlers, but who cares. The hardcore fan base of the Argo's is too old anyways.(guess i just took a shot at myself..haha)

marcwagz
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
19-25's have a lot of money to spend?
what?
all the 19-25's I know are in debt and living day to day...

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
You claimed it was unrealistic to travel an hour and a half to an Argo game. My point was that it is not unrealistic as many people do it. I did mention that every person's situation is different though, meaning there maybe reasons why someone couldn't make it like the financial reasons you have now mentioned.

There are many ways to get to the Rogers Centre. The only thing I can think of that the Argos could try to do to help fans get to games is get Via Rail, Go Transit, TTC or all of them to discount their fairs on game days for people with game tickets. How the Argos could make that arrangement or if it would be financially viable to do so, I don't know. I don't know which buses you use but I did look up a round trip from Barrie to Toronto via Go Transit and it's $23.70.

lol yes I was T-bone, was just making an observation, there seems to be a lot of excuses for fans not going to games. So it makes me wonder if the Argos left would it make a sound ? And were you not the one who brought up that tv ratings don't mean everything ?
Yes I did. TV ratings are only one factor in measuring popularity. Ticket sales are another big one as we are discovering in this thread.

1argoholic
02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
I've noticed younger fans on here who've started going to games since I moved 10 years ago so drawing younger fans is working. When The Argoholics were the only ones dressing like nuts we were looked at as that. Now so many have gotten into dressing silly for games and I do notice a change from even ten years back. The Argos have always struggled with marketing which boggles my mind in the business capital of Canada. They should hire a great marketing firm for a ten year span and come up with great catchy ad campaigns each year. As I've mentioned before they ran some very cool ones back in the same eara as the Our Balls Are Bigger and the like CFL ads. I just remember you'd have a big face on a poster with a catchy saying. They were great ads.

marcwagz
02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't actually live directly in barrie, fyi.

driving to the vaughn mills mall and subbing from there isn't bad though, if I actually had any money I could do that.
the bus really sucks to ride and is too much money not worth going more than a couple times a year.

the game prices are already like 50 bucks for a decent seat which is a joke because people buy cheap then move to expensive because it is so empty in the rogers center. Then since toronto sucks and even mcdonalds is over price you have to pay like 25 bucks for dinner for two people you end up paying 70 bucks for travel, 100 bucks for the game and then 25 for food and you pay 200 bucks for a single game.
to get 200 bucks with a students job takes 3-5 days of work depending on how many hours it gets you.

then again most students go to bars and waste 40 bucks on 10 dollar liquor so how they save money anybody knows. I know my friends would constantly run out of money and have to ask their parents...

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't actually live directly in barrie, fyi.
I misunderstood this:

I am from north of the city, Barrie.
bout 45 minutes away
I thought you were referring to north of Toronto

driving to the vaughn mills mall and subbing from there isn't bad though, if I actually had any money I could do that.
the bus really sucks to ride and is too much money not worth going more than a couple times a year.

the game prices are already like 50 bucks for a decent seat which is a joke because people buy cheap then move to expensive because it is so empty in the rogers center. Then since toronto sucks and even mcdonalds is over price you have to pay like 25 bucks for dinner for two people you end up paying 70 bucks for travel, 100 bucks for the game and then 25 for food and you pay 200 bucks for a single game.
to get 200 bucks with a students job takes 3-5 days of work depending on how many hours it gets you.

then again most students go to bars and waste 40 bucks on 10 dollar liquor so how they save money anybody knows. I know my friends would constantly run out of money and have to ask their parents...
It's understandable that as a student you do not have a lot of disposable income to put towards entertainment plus the distance of where you live adds to the expense of getting out to a game. However I don't see what else the Argos can really do to help you with that. Also like I said originally it is not unrealistic for someone to travel an hour and a half to game, it all depends on individual circumstances.

ArgoGabe22
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
I remember hearing stories about kids collecting potato chip bags and with like 5 you could get in with those wrappers. This was in the 70's or 80's with the Lions doing it at Empire. Wendy's is a CFL sponser and kids eat Wendy's so how about get a sticker card and after 5 visits to Wendy's you get a free ticket or something like that. People will go to games for free and kids really have no resources to go so start this program with kids so when they're older they'll buy seasons.

marcwagz
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
It's understandable that as a student you do not have a lot of disposable income to put towards entertainment plus the distance of where you live adds to the expense of getting out to a game. However I don't see what else the Argos can really do to help you with that. Also like I said originally it is not unrealistic for someone to travel an hour and a half to game, it all depends on individual circumstances.
close enough to barrie closer than toronto anyways
but ya I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks for a ticket
but here is what I mean

My school all the time has trips to raptors and jays games
we bus up in a bus and pay 30 bucks for a ticket and the bus fair up there
I've gone to 3 raptors games even though the team is no good and I'd much rather go to a football game.
why can't the argos do something like that?

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
close enough to barrie closer than toronto anyways
but ya I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks for a ticket
but here is what I mean

My school all the time has trips to raptors and jays games
we bus up in a bus and pay 30 bucks for a ticket and the bus fair up there
I've gone to 3 raptors games even though the team is no good and I'd much rather go to a football game.
why can't the argos do something like that?That's interesting. I guess the question is did the school approach the teams with that idea or the other way around? Perhaps you could call the Argos and see if they could help organize something like that or approach the people at the school if they were the ones behind it.

Area 51
02-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Wendy's is a CFL sponser and kids eat Wendy's so how about get a sticker card and after 5 visits to Wendy's you get a free ticket or something like that. People will go to games for free and kids really have no resources to go so start this program with kids so when they're older they'll buy seasons.

If somebody can't afford $20 for a ticket, how are they going to afford going to eat at Wendey's five times?

AngeloV
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
If somebody can't afford $20 for a ticket, how are they going to afford going to eat at Wendey's five times?

Because everybody needs to eat, but entertainment isn't a necessity. Do you just sit at home thinking up new ways to be negative? Man I'm I ever sorry that I defended you when you were previously banned. At the risk of getting banned myself, you are the biggest blowhard of all time.

Area 51
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM

The "family atmosphere" has been a total failure. Nobody's going to be excited to go to a sporting event where the fans sit on their hands for the entire game. The soccer team seems to draw big crowds and from what I've heard they have a pretty good game day atmosphere for their games.

First thing to do would be to drop the price of beer to $2. I'm sure that will lead to some loud and obnoxious behaviour and probably a few fights, but if you're going to create that wild and rowdy atmosphere that's the first place to start.

R.J
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
First thing to do would be to drop the price of beer to $2.$2 beer night will never happen lol, but great idea though as people would come in droves.

Area 51
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
The problem with appealing to the family atmosphere, is that the young kids that the Argos have been trying to attract, can't buy tickets. And probably still won't beable to for another 5-15 years.

It's not that it hasn't worked. It's that it hasn't had enough time to work out.

You've missed the point.

The Argos didn't promote the "family atmosphere" hoping kids would eventually become season ticket holders - - they need to sell tickets RIGHT NOW, not twenty years from now. The idea behind it was that instead of just Dad buying one ticket and going to the game, the "family atmosphere" would entice Mom and the two kids to come along with Dad to the game. Four ticket sales instead of just one. BOOM!

Good idea in theory, lousy idea in reality.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that "explosion of young Argo fans" from the family atmosphere. When there's barely 10,000 people in the stands you can't tell me that 9,500 are families with young kids that are going to be the future of the season ticket base. They're not coming to the games now. Why would they appear in twenty years? Nobody's going to have a flashback remembering an Argos advertisement they saw when they were five years old and suddenly decide to buy season tickets as a 30yr old.

$2 beer night will never happen lol, but great idea though as people would come in droves.

Can you imagine Toronto vs Hamilton with $2 beer?

Mulder
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
You've missed the point.

The Argos didn't promote the "family atmosphere" hoping kids would eventually become season ticket holders - - they need to sell tickets RIGHT NOW, not twenty years from now. The idea behind it was that instead of just Dad buying one ticket and going to the game, the "family atmosphere" would entice Mom and the two kids to come along with Dad to the game. Four ticket sales instead of just one. BOOM!

Good idea in theory, lousy idea in reality.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that "explosion of young Argo fans" from the family atmosphere. When there's barely 10,000 people in the stands you can't tell me that 9,500 are families with young kids that are going to be the future of the season ticket base. They're not coming to the games now. Why would they appear in twenty years? Nobody's going to have a flashback remembering an Argos advertisement they saw when they were five years old and suddenly decide to buy season tickets as a 30yr old.

I don't see how I've missed the point. Where you involved in any marketing decisions when they went to a family friendly promotions? How do you know this isn't the case? I seem to remember several Keith Pelley interviews on how they wanted to create a generation of young Argo fans. That doesn't sound like what your talking about at all.

Step 1 of X number in making new fans is exposing to the product. Either Daddy taking kids to a game, appearances at schools, saving or restarting a high school football program. Those kids will know the Argo's saved that program. Of course, your barley 10,000 in stands doesn't hold water, since attendance figures are published, and we know just 5-6 years ago the team was averaging 27,000+

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
The "family atmosphere" has been a total failure. Nobody's going to be excited to go to a sporting event where the fans sit on their hands for the entire game. The soccer team seems to draw big crowds and from what I've heard they have a pretty good game day atmosphere for their games.

First thing to do would be to drop the price of beer to $2. I'm sure that will lead to some loud and obnoxious behaviour and probably a few fights, but if you're going to create that wild and rowdy atmosphere that's the first place to start.

Can you imagine Toronto vs Hamilton with $2 beer?I can. I was at several $2 Tuesday ticket nights that the Jays tried out for about 3 years and there is a reason they stopped doing them. The draft beer at BMO Field ranges from $8 to $13.50 and there is still atmosphere at the stadium.

marcwagz
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
That's interesting. I guess the question is did the school approach the teams with that idea or the other way around? Perhaps you could call the Argos and see if they could help organize something like that or approach the people at the school if they were the ones behind it.

my guess is student council organizes it and contacts the ticket office and they give them a pretty good group rate.
the question is would there be enough interest in the school for an argos game because there would need to be like 30+ students for it to be viable.
I know the first raptor game last year had 50 seats and it sold out though
but i think the argos should promote this kind of thing, say bring a university group and get prices a quarter off per person or something?

do they even have something like this for U of T students or Yorkies? I figure that would be the first schools they should try marketing too.

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
my guess is student council organizes it and contacts the ticket office and they give them a pretty good group rate.
the question is would there be enough interest in the school for an argos game because there would need to be like 30+ students for it to be viable.
I know the first raptor game last year had 50 seats and it sold out though
but i think the argos should promote this kind of thing, say bring a university group and get prices a quarter off per person or something?

do they even have something like this for U of T students or Yorkies? I figure that would be the first schools they should try marketing too.They do advertise group ticket sales all the time but not specifically to universities that I know of. Either way I would contact your student council then and propose the idea. You won't know if there is a demand or not unless you try.

ArgoGabe22
02-28-2012, 04:08 PM

It doesn't have to be Wendy's sherlock. Glen Suitor quote on quote said that this this happened to him and its how he got into Empire, watched football, got introduced to the game, liked it, and then decided to play etc.
If it worked the past why can't it work again. It can be cheaper, Wendy's was just an example because they are a league wide sponsor and could support the program. A major corporation won't care so its need to be something local or a sponsor.

Geez first you act like you're player and then comment like a coach and now all of the sudden you're the marketing expert on here as well.

do they even have something like this for U of T students or Yorkies? I figure that would be the first schools they should try marketing too.

As far as I know, NO. They have/had TFC, Jays, Raptors and yes even the Bills. Yuck!

AngeloV
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
It doesn't have to be Wendy's sherlock. Glen Suitor quote on quote said that this this happened to him and its how he got into Empire, watched football, got introduced to the game, liked it, and then decided to play etc.
If it worked the past why can't it work again. It can be cheaper, Wendy's was just an example because they are a league wide sponsor and could support the program. A major corporation won't care so its need to be something local or a sponsor.

Geez first you act like you're player and then comment like a coach and now all of the sudden you're the marketing expert on here as well.

I know when I was growing up, you can go to A&P supermarket (eventually merged with Dominion now Metro) and for every $5 worth of groceries, you can get an Argo ticket for 99 cents. This allowed me to go to many games as an 11 or 12 year old. Mind you, that was back in the 1979/80 when the face value of the end zone ticket was $4.50. They had the good deal with 7/11 a few years ago too ( I believe it was 2 tickets, 2 t-shirts and 2 slurpees for $29), but I guess that didn't spark enough interest either.

T-Bone
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
They had the good deal with 7/11 a few years ago too ( I believe it was 2 tickets, 2 t-shirts and 2 slurpees for $29), but I guess that didn't spark enough interest either.I took advantage of that deal in 2008 and 2009, helped get me onboard. I believe the 2010 season was the last year they had it but I decided to get a season ticket that year.

argofandave
02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Popeyes used to have an Argos Meal Deal where you would get a coupon for a free pair of tickets whenever you bought this dinner. I think it was a dinner for two.

Area 51
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Because everybody needs to eat, but entertainment isn't a necessity. Do you just sit at home thinking up new ways to be negative? Man I'm I ever sorry that I defended you when you were previously banned. At the risk of getting banned myself, you are the biggest blowhard of all time.

I hope your seats aren't next to mine. If you don't like what I post on this message board, you'd really be upset by what I have to say at the games.

AngeloV
02-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I hope your seats aren't next to mine. If you don't like what I post on this message board, you'd really be upset by what I have to say at the games.

Obviously they are not. If they were, I'm sure I would have been kicked out of the dome a few times already.

R.J
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Trying to get this thread back on track, has anyone notified the Argos brass about moving the Aug 27th date ? I emailed and called the argos about it, haven't heard anythgin back yet though. Has anyone else ?

Mulder
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Trying to get this thread back on track, has anyone notified the Argos brass about moving the Aug 27th date ? I emailed and called the argos about it, haven't heard anythgin back yet though. Has anyone else ?

Nope. as it turns out my wife has a Doctors Appointment at Toronto General that Monday. So it actually works out for us. lol

argofandave
02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Trying to get this thread back on track, has anyone notified the Argos brass about moving the Aug
27th date ? I emailed and called the argos about it, haven't heard anythgin back yet though. Has anyone else ?
I emailed my Argos rep (Chris Andreoli) on Feb 21 and he replied the next day: "As of today, I have not heard of any talk regarding moving that particular game...If there is a change, I will be sure to update you with any information." I have no idea if he talked to anyone higher up in the Argos office or not.

T-Bone
02-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I emailed my Argos rep (Chris Andreoli) on Feb 21 and he replied the next day: "As of today, I have not heard of any talk regarding moving that particular game...If there is a change, I will be sure to update you with any information." I have no idea if he talked to anyone higher up in the Argos office or not.Rogers claimed a big event was in the works for that Saturday and that's why they had to move the Bills game. Until we here that event has fallen threw I don't think talk about moving the Argos game will happen.

R.J
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Rogers claimed a big event was in the works for that Saturday and that's why they had to move the Bills game. Until we here that event has fallen threw I don't think talk about moving the Argos game will happen.
The big event has been planned for some time now though, it was the Bills who supposedly didn't want the date or something. Let's be honest the game went back to Buffalo because it wasn't selling here. The 26th should now be open and unless it's a baseball game on the 25th there is ample time for the Argos to have things ready for that Sunday. IMO I still fell like it's a really bad idea to have a late night Monday game.

T-Bone
02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
The big event has been planned for some time now though, it was the Bills who supposedly didn't want the date or something. Let's be honest the game went back to Buffalo because it wasn't selling here. The 26th should now be open and unless it's a baseball game on the 25th there is ample time for the Argos to have things ready for that Sunday. IMO I still fell like it's a really bad idea to have a late night Monday game.Supposedly this "event" is almost confirmed and takes place on Saturday the 25th. There wouldn't be enough time to convert the building for the Bills game on the 26th which is why they moved the game. Now whether this event in the works is real or not doesn't matter it is what they announced. If the Argos go and ask for the date now they are going to be told they can't have that date for the same reason. Perhaps in a month or two if this "event" falls threw then they could change the date.

argonaut11xx
03-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Rogers will not do a damn thing to help the Argo's...so the idea of switching the date is fultile.

Hey CFL.."Monday Night Football"...Hank Williams is un-employed...

"Are you ready for some football, a CFL Party,..with Matt, and Chris, and Jock..lets get this party started"....(what a GREAT theme song)

hehe...im in

AngeloV
03-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Rogers will not do a damn thing to help the Argo's...so the idea of switching the date is fultile.

Hey CFL.."Monday Night Football"...Hank Williams is un-employed...

"Are you ready for some football, a CFL Party,..with Matt, and Chris, and Jock..lets get this party started"....(what a GREAT theme song)

hehe...im in

Although I have no problem with the Monday night game, I can understand people that live outside of the city not liking it. But please...No Hank Williams Jr. I have no time for rednecks.

argonaut11xx
03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Although I have no problem with the Monday night game, I can understand people that live outside of the city not liking it. But please...No Hank Williams Jr. I have no time for rednecks.

I get you completely AngeloV....

I have no time for left wing lunatics like Micheal Moore, All Gore, Jack Layton (PUKE) or anyone named Trudeau...

That said...im thinking Hank is just a "country music singer"...the outfit is his "Schtick"...

My point about the monday game is just this....we as Argo fans know we are going to be screwed by the rogers folks, in terms of scheduling, so lets just look at the game as a challenge, a glass half full kinda gig...what else are you gonna do on a monday night...except maybe hit Stage West for the BeeGee's review...???...???

AngeloV
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
I get you completely AngeloV....

I have no time for left wing lunatics like Micheal Moore, All Gore, Jack Layton (PUKE) or anyone named Trudeau...

That said...im thinking Hank is just a "country music singer"...the outfit is his "Schtick"...

My point about the monday game is just this....we as Argo fans know we are going to be screwed by the rogers folks, in terms of scheduling, so lets just look at the game as a challenge, a glass half full kinda gig...what else are you gonna do on a monday night...except maybe hit Stage West for the BeeGee's review...???...???

Without getting into the political aspect of this (no good can come from that, LOL!!), I have to agree. The schedule is what it is. Let's show the people at Rogers that it'll take a lot more than a few crummy home dates to break us.

marcwagz
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Layton isn't (wasn't) a left wing lunatic
he just isn't a one trick pony like everyone else in politics
Money Money Money
most of them are like Mr. krabbs

as for rogers screw rogers
they are money money money as well but they are also stupid and dont see that the cfl can make them money

not even paying attention to the fact that cfl is canadian content which is a bonus to canadian broadcasters

But hey, who cares about canadian content, lets all become americans, make an average lower amount of money (as americans do), get into another major economic recession(as americans will) and we'll also all buy guns and raise our crime rate while we're at it.

R.J
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Uh-Oh politics on an Argos forum, this isn't good. :peekaboo:

AngeloV
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Uh-Oh politics on an Argos forum, this isn't good. :peekaboo:

Couldn't agree more. That's why I avoided that part of the post.

Ron
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
If people think the bad Argo sked is only Rogers fault ... you've swallowed a lot of CFL Kool-Aide.

R.J
03-01-2012, 06:59 PM
If people think the bad Argo sked is only Rogers fault ... you've swallowed a lot of CFL Kool-Aide.Does Rogers not provide the Argos with dates for the dome ? Explain how the CFL or Argos could be at fault for the schedule.

AngeloV
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Does Rogers not provide the Argos with dates for the dome ? Explain how the CFL or Argos could be at fault for the schedule.

Just Ron being Ron. He has defended Rogers to no end for years.

shayman
04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Just announced: Bruce Springsteen is at Skydome on Fri Aug 24. I guess this is the mystery event that Keith Pelley was talking about when the Bills exhibition game was moved back to Buffalo. http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1134440--bills-preseason-football-game-at-rogers-centre-moved-back-to-buffalo

argomANIA
04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Just announced: Bruce Springsteen is at Skydome on Fri Aug 24. I guess this is the mystery event that Keith Pelley was talking about when the Bills exhibition game was moved back to Buffalo. http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1134440--bills-preseason-football-game-at-rogers-centre-moved-back-to-buffalo

August 27 is my one year wedding anniversary. Kinda cool that it falls on a home game.

Mulder
04-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Well I am sure this comment will ruffle some feathers but I was wondering

Why Wednesday July 18th?

Well I just found out that TFC is playing Liverpool at the Rogers Centre Saturday July 21st.

KCargosfan
04-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Why Wednesday July 18th?

Well I just found out that TFC is playing Liverpool at the Rogers Centre Saturday July 21st.

Still don't understand why it couldn't be a Thursday game? It doesn't take 72 hours to switch from football to futbol I'm guessing.

argolio
04-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Still don't understand why it couldn't be a Thursday game? It doesn't take 72 hours to switch from football to futbol I'm guessing.At first I thought July 18th was the week of the baseball all-star game and the CFL wanted that night to itself, but the all-star game is a week earlier.

By all rights this should be a 7:00 Friday night game.

ArgoRavi
04-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Why Wednesday July 18th?

The now 0-6 FC against Liverpool. Yikes!

T-Bone
04-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Why Wednesday July 18th?

Many TFC fans aren't happy about this either. Apparently Rogers is behind the event. A few years back fans made it known to the club we want the team to be focused on making the payoffs not playing meaningless friendless in the middle of the season were players could potentially get hurt etc. So the club said they would stop doing them and took the friendlies out of the season ticket package replacing them with two Canadian Championship tickets instead. I know most of the hardcore fans won't be attending the Liverpool match.

ArgoRavi
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Many TFC fans aren't happy about this either. Apparently Rogers is behind the event. A few years back fans made it known to the club we want the team to be focused on making the payoffs not playing meaningless friendless in the middle of the season were players could potentially get hurt etc. So the club said they would stop doing them and took the friendlies out of the season ticket package replacing them with two Canadian Championship tickets instead. I know most of the hardcore fans won't be attending the Liverpool match.

I suppose that with Rogers now a co-owner of TFC that they may have more interest in having these kinds of games at Rogers Centre.

Treblecharger1
04-23-2012, 12:53 AM
The Reason why the game cannot be played on Thursday night is they are going to bring in Natural Grass for this game. Liverpool will not play on the crap in skydome lol ( And I do not blame them lol)

LLB997
04-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Seems a few here are fans of the Leafs in Cleats.

Anyone going to the Preseason game in Hamilton?

T-Bone
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Anyone going to the Preseason game in Hamilton?
I'm planning to.

Argocister
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I will be there as well. My hubby is a ticats fan and gave me a jersey at Christmas...... Medlocks..... only one I could wear without turning myself in as a traitor. Maybe Eibens now , or Webbs.
GO ARGOOOOOOOOOO....s how many O's again? Same number as Grey Cups?

ArgoRavi
04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Hey SnowRogue, to change the topic, you have Winnipeg connections, correct? What's the story on the new stadium in Winnipeg? Will the Argos have to play their scheduled game on September 29th at the old stadium or is there still a chance that they will be playing at the new one?

Scottish_Argo
04-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Are Argo's tickets hard to get on gameday or are they as easily as available to purchase as jays tix ?

marcwagz
04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Are Argo's tickets hard to get on gameday or are they as easily as available to purchase as jays tix ?
ticket master is easy, just print off the tickets off the computers
there are always tickets available pretty much
unless your looking for grey cup tickets

7dj83r8f78t4alf8