PDA

View Full Version : June 19, 2014: Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs. Toronto Argonauts

T-Bone
06-12-2014, 07:40 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/ham.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png

Pre-Season C
Thursday, June 19, 2014 at 7:00pm EDT.
Varsity Stadium. Toronto, ON.

TV: N/A
Video Webcast: N/A
Radio: HAM: CHML 900 (http://www.900chml.com/ticatsnation/)/Y108 ROCKS (http://www.y108.ca/) - TOR: TSN.ca (http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: HAM: Here (http://player.900chml.com/) - TOR: Here (http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/)

Depth Charts: HAM: Here (http://www.ticats.ca/page/2014-depth-charts-game-notes-stats) - TOR: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2014)

Tickets Available: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/page/toronto-argonauts-tickets)

Post-Game Update: Final Score: 23-41

Argos Dominate Ti-Cats: Finish Pre-Season 2-0 (http://argonauts.ca/article/preseason-recap-argos-vs-ticats)

Will
06-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Don't forget your sunglasses folks.

bluto
06-12-2014, 12:10 PM
first for TiCats Suck!

AaronInToronto
06-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Will be there. Pre-drinks all around.

1argoholic
06-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Someone on here must take the Go from Oshawa. I'm trying to decide whether to attempt to make the Varsity game or hit the Lakers lacrosse game as we have seasons there as well. Thing is my wife doesn't get off work in downtown Peterborough until 4:30pm. With this being the first time we'll attempt to get to the Oshawa Go I won't even know fastest routes. I don't want to take the time to attempt this and show up real late for a 7pm start. Love where we live but this is when it becomes a pain. We're actually half an hour further out from home.

How long does it take from Oshawa to Union?

For years I took the Go from Port Credit to CNE and then Union so I knew timing and it was pretty fast.

Hoping that once my mom moves to the area that she'll pet sit so we can do a few over nights.

T-Bone
06-13-2014, 08:14 AM
According to the Go Transit schedule (http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/schedules/schedules_window.aspx?tableid=09&dir=E&date=2014-06-19&corridorname=Lakeshore%20East&parentid=1) there is a 5:41pm train that leaves from Oshawa Go Station and gets into Union Station at 6:41pm. That might be cutting it close though since you will be leaving from Peterborough after 4:30pm. According to Google Map (https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Peterborough,+ON/Oshawa+GO+Station+Rail,+Oshawa,+ON/@44.0901087,-78.8642434,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89d58c91b5103a 57:0x5037b28c72318e0!2m2!1d-78.319747!2d44.309058!1m5!1m1!1s0x89d51d9ddc7c2c07 :0x3f78ed38c7375425!2m2!1d-78.8853!2d43.870831?hl=en) Peterborough to Oshawa Go is a 55 minute drive. The next train leaves from Oshawa Go Station at 6:38pm and gets into Union Station at 7:41pm.

Mulder
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Someone on here must take the Go from Oshawa. I'm trying to decide whether to attempt to make the Varsity game or hit the Lakers lacrosse game as we have seasons there as well. Thing is my wife doesn't get off work in downtown Peterborough until 4:30pm. With this being the first time we'll attempt to get to the Oshawa Go I won't even know fastest routes. I don't want to take the time to attempt this and show up real late for a 7pm start. Love where we live but this is when it becomes a pain. We're actually half an hour further out from home.

For years I took the Go from Port Credit to CNE and then Union so I knew timing and it was pretty fast.

Hoping that once my mom moves to the area that she'll pet sit so we can do a few over nights.

From experience, either drive to Don Mills Subway stop or all the way downtown.

1argoholic
06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks! Not looking forward to this new game day experience. Weekend games will be ok. Having to worry about getting home for our pets is the main issue. It would be nice to avoid the drive back and forth.

Will
06-13-2014, 11:12 AM
An hour ride from Oshawa to Union? Really got to get an express train in there.

ArgoZ
06-13-2014, 11:34 AM
An hour ride from Oshawa to Union? Really got to get an express train in there.

It is almost the same from Burlington. Public transit is always encouraged, but when it takes twice as long, you can't blame people for driving, (traffic not withstanding).

1argoholic
06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
After leaving Mississauga in Oct of 02 I find driving in the GTA to be a pain. I have to admit driving in The Kawarthas is heaven even compared to Vancouver Island. I really have to get pumped up before GTA driving with perks like stops at cool markets. Taking my wife to and from Pearson twice from here and Fan Day last week had us stopping at Yummy European Market, Patel Brothers Market and Nova European Deli. Those perks are great when you love the wide world of great eats like we do. Driving back and forth for Argo games isn't something I want to do plus my wife doesn't drive. My health suffers raging at all of the fools I witness on their handheld's etc.

Neely2005
06-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Any suggestions for good pubs in the area?

argofandave
06-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Any suggestions for good pubs in the area?Check out pages 8 & 9 of last year's pre-season game thread titled "Exhibition game at Varsity Stadium." Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to it.

Neely2005
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Check out pages 8 & 9 of last year's pre-season game thread titled "Exhibition game at Varsity Stadium." Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to it.

Thanks.

It looks like the following are all good options:

Madison Avenue Pub
Fox and Fiddle
Duke of York
The Bedford Acadamy
Bar Mercurio
Gabby's

dans41
06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
anyone know what time gates open?

AngeloV
06-16-2014, 05:35 PM

Last year they opened at 6.

Neely2005
06-16-2014, 07:04 PM

My Argonauts ticket representative said that they open at 6 PM and that the Ticket Window opens at 4PM.

BATKINSON001
06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
I am going to the duke before the game, meeting up with some SOB members...

argonaut11xx
06-17-2014, 11:56 AM
My Argonauts ticket representative said that they open at 6 PM and that the Ticket Window opens at 4PM.

If there is even 1 single ticket left UNSOLD, the Argo's have FAILED miserably...

This stadium holds "family, friends, and maybe another 60 or so fans"....seriously???...its not sold out?

Its a joke if it wasnt sold out, just through the season ticket holder base.

Tell me im wrong...otherwise somebody has dropped the ball bigtime

ArgoRavi
06-17-2014, 12:20 PM
If there is even 1 single ticket left UNSOLD, the Argo's have FAILED miserably...

This stadium holds "family, friends, and maybe another 60 or so fans"....seriously???...its not sold out?

Did Hamilton sell out their preseason game at Ron Joyce Stadium this past Saturday?

T-Bone
06-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Did Hamilton sell out their preseason game at Ron Joyce Stadium this past Saturday?As far as I know, no.

Neely2005
06-17-2014, 01:43 PM

I bought an extra ticket yesterday so there are still tickets left. Varsity Stadium only seats 5000 people but it is a preseason game so there's going to be less interest. The walk up crowd will probably depend on the weather. Last year there were a lot of people just standing along the fence on the west side of the Stadium, watching the game.

argofandave
06-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Did Hamilton sell out their preseason game at Ron Joyce Stadium this past Saturday?I was on the Ticketmaster website both Friday night and Saturday morning and it showed that no tickets were available in any price range.

Argo57
06-17-2014, 07:01 PM
I was on the Ticketmaster website both Friday night and Saturday morning and it showed that no tickets were available in any price range.

I was at the Hamilton game with my son, looked full to me.

Argocister
06-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Being on a Thurs night ..... Makes it hard to get into town. I have a few extra tickets so PM me if you want one.
I'm going but others can't ..... The advantage of being self employed :)

1argoholic
06-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Eating our two tickets for dinner before heading to the Peterborough Lakers game. I think living north of Norwood is going to be a royal pain in the arse to get to games. Weekend games should be ok.

Wobbler
06-18-2014, 11:53 AM
The depth chart (http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/depth/2014/2014_PreseasonGame2VSHAMJune19065123.pdf) is up. The starters who sat out game one (Ray, Owens, Durie, Waters, Watt, Smith) are on the chart this time, as are the guys who were previously injured (Portis, Harrell).

The only surprise to me is that Portis is listed. I suppose his hamstring healed more quickly than expected.

Qman
06-18-2014, 12:06 PM

you still knee a ticket window open for WILL CALL .. even in this age of e-tickets

argonaut11xx
06-18-2014, 12:23 PM
you still knee a ticket window open for WILL CALL .. even in this age of e-tickets

good point....

That said, i still think what the Argo's did 2 years ago with all the school kids (36K) at the game is a far better idea. If they used this model year after year, it would help create many new YOUNG fans.

Alternately, the idea of not selling out a 5k stadium is beyond embarrassing, that why i hope the place is packed.

Tau Ceti
06-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Does anyone recall from last year whether scalpers had tickets available before the game? There's none available on Stubhub now and I wanted to wander down there tomorrow.

Neely2005
06-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Does anyone recall from last year whether scalpers had tickets available before the game? There's none available on Stubhub now and I wanted to wander down there tomorrow.

Call the Argonauts, they still had tickets available on Monday and you can pick them up tomorrow after 4PM at the Varsity Stadium Ticket Window.

LLB997
06-18-2014, 03:32 PM
last yrs game at varsity was nowhere near soldout. i expect the ticat fans to fill those other 1/3 seats. my buddy watched for free behind the westside fence and they hit the bars at the start of the 4th qtr. extra 30 bucks for drinks, hard to blame him.

Wobbler
06-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Milanovich just confirmed that Portis is still hurt (http://argonauts.ca/video/index/id/97413), so I'm not sure why we put him on the roster for this game. Maybe it's a money thing?

ArgoGabe22
06-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Hmm. Milanovich just confirmed that Portis is still hurt (http://argonauts.ca/video/index/id/97413), so I'm not sure why we put him on the roster for this game. Maybe it's a money thing?

Angelo will be happy to hear Frank Zicarelli ask the first few questions.

Wobbler
06-18-2014, 04:20 PM
His questions about Romby Bryant were a bit weird. Based on Milanovich's responses I see no reason to conclude that Bryant had an exceptional camp. And as a vet, why was there any question of whether he understood the offense?!

I do like it when reporters ask about specific players or ask the coach to name a few standouts, though. Otherwise it's way too easy to get a vague answer (like the response to Hogan's question about new receivers).

Rich
06-18-2014, 05:19 PM
I find it interesting that Natey Adjei is slotted into Durie's hybrid RB/SB position on the depth chart. This makes a great deal of sense to me if it's the way they're going with Adjei. It would also suggest that they're not going to try and make a hybrid out of Coombs, letting him concentrate on TB instead.

argonaut11xx
06-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I really am sad that we wont get to see Portis play.

Does anyone know what happened with his DUI charge? Is he clear of it, or is it still pending?

Qman
06-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Its general admission ... so I assume get there early or you will be in standing room around the track ? Is this correct?

Wobbler
06-18-2014, 07:58 PM
I find it interesting that Natey Adjei is slotted into Durie's hybrid RB/SB position on the depth chart. This makes a great deal of sense to me if it's the way they're going with Adjei. It would also suggest that they're not going to try and make a hybrid out of Coombs, letting him concentrate on TB instead.
I suspect that we're still figuring out how best to use both players, but I'll be surprised if Coombs is used as anything other than a backup RB and special teamer this year or if Adjei is anything other than backup WR and special teamer.

Argo
06-18-2014, 08:47 PM

I hope that's the case.

AngeloV
06-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Angelo will be happy to hear Frank Zicarelli ask the first few questions.

He kind of sounds like an even stupider version of Nick Tortelli (Carla's ex husband on Cheers for us older people).

Neely2005
06-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Its general admission ... so I assume get there early or you will be in standing room around the track ? Is this correct?

It's General Admission but there are 5000 seats and they can only sell 5000 tickets so you won't have to stand.

Wobbler
06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
His questions about Romby Bryant were a bit weird. Based on Milanovich's responses I see no reason to conclude that Bryant had an exceptional camp. And as a vet, why was there any question of whether he understood the offense?!
OK, now I understand why Zicarelli was asking about Bryant. His new article (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/18/argos-rookie-defensive-lineman-delano-johnson-looking-for-cfl-shot) focuses on Delano Johnson, but he also points out that it was during the Varsity game last year that Bryant broke a bunch of ribs. I had forgotten about that.

mchesher03
06-19-2014, 11:20 AM
It's General Admission but there are 5000 seats and they can only sell 5000 tickets so you won't have to stand.

general admission but IIRC they had blocked off the middle section for season ticket holders last year or something to that effect....

great day for some football looking forward to it

Will
06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
general admission but IIRC they had blocked off the middle section for season ticket holders last year or something to that effect....

great day for some football looking forward to it

The way it worked last year is that certain sections were blocked off base on the price level you paid for your season tickets.

Neely2005
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM
The way it worked last year is that certain sections were blocked off base on the price level you paid for your season tickets.

Yeah it doesn't look like they're doing that this year. (Judging by the tickets)

gilthethrill
06-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression TSN 1050 was broadcasting the game. There is some soccer game on instead. How disappointing.

R.J
06-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Radio Feed :
http://player.streamtheworld.com/liveplayer.php?CALLSIGN=BELL_EVENT

TSN.ca is also broadcasting (no audio broadcasting though) the game, but you have to be a Bell or Rogers subscriber.

Argo
06-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Radio Feed :

TSN.ca is also broadcasting (no audio broadcasting though) the game, but you have to be a Bell or Rogers subscriber.

Yes, CFL "Games on Demand" are no longer accessible to non-victims of Bell or Rogers.

I'd pay a reasonable amount to watch only CFL games (i.e., PPV over broadband). I wouldn't pay a dime to subscribe to any cable, etc., package.

gilthethrill
06-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Radio Feed :

Thanks Snowrogue. TSN radio now has the Argo game on.

LLB997
06-19-2014, 08:31 PM
900 am in Ham has the game on.

Qman
06-19-2014, 08:45 PM
this game live on 1050

gilthethrill
06-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Sounds like Johnson and Slaton are playing great at RB...D-line sounds really fast according to Hoagie, all qbs are having success. Cuts are going to be tough to make.

LLB997
06-19-2014, 09:06 PM
game has been announced as a sellout. good to hear.

argotom
06-19-2014, 09:10 PM
game has been announced as a sellout. good to hear.

Nothing wrong with that, except it's sad due to the what 5000+ limit.

Argo
06-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Sounds like an invigorated performance by the Argos c/w glorious weather and everyone close to the action.

Argo
06-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Sounds like Johnson and Slaton are playing great at RB...D-line sounds really fast according to Hoagie, all qbs are having success. Cuts are going to be tough to make.

A nice problem to have (cf. Winnipeg's "international" kicker). Though (for example) the idea of more or less having to ditch one of Johnson, Slaton is quite unpalatable.

Argo
06-19-2014, 10:27 PM
"The Argonauts totalled 359 yards passing while 8 quarterback sacks were posted in the victory."

Bliss (although Romeus wasn't built in a day).

jerrym
06-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Here are the results for the CFL.ca website's player of the game, with Mitchell Gale and Jeremiah Johnson tying for the lead. The fact that six of the seven players were Argos reflects the Argos' dominance in the game.
Fan Poll

Who was Thursday night's player of the game?

1) Ivan Brown
4%
2) Mitchell Gale
22%
3) Trevor Harris
8%
4) Jeremiah Johnson
22%
5) Greg Romeus
1%
6) Terrell Sinkfield
14%
7) Luke Tasker
13%
8) Other
16%
Total Votes : 134

Will
06-19-2014, 11:26 PM
QBs: Ray looked to be in mid-season form. Harris looked pretty good initially, but it looks like he may have struggled a bit after his interception. I had gone to the bathroom at that point and was talking to ArgoAnia who was sitting at ground level so I was unable to tell what he was struggling with towards the end of the half. Gale didn't look out of place certainly. Milanovich apparently has already anointed Harris as the #2.

RBs: A tough decision here for sure.

WRs: I'd love to try to keep both Darvin Adams and Terrelle Sinkfield on the roster.

Defense: 9 sacks but against a patchwork Hamilton D. Lots of speed in the secondary, they got beat a few times, but were also able to close in on receiver as ball arrived to make a play.

Argocister
06-20-2014, 01:10 AM
I was impressed with the depth of our team.... On all fronts.... Offense , defence and special teams!
I also liked the use of the fullbacks.
Anthony Coombs was fun to watch tonight and will be fun to watch this season. We signed him for 3 yrs? ..... I hope?
I think Sinkfield earned his roster spot, ..... As for the RBs, whichever one we cut will be picked up by some team.

Gee it's hard to be Zach behind the Oline in Hamilton. :D Makes one appreciate our Oline and company, that give our QB's time to make a good choice.
Milanovich and Brady really provide a good opportunity for QBs to learn and succeed. So the question is .....
Will we keep Casey around? .... Only time will tell.

Lots of fun tonight, glad footballs back!

Bleeds Double Blue
06-20-2014, 01:10 AM
I realize that it's only a pre-season game but it's always nice to open a can of Whoopass on the Ti-Cats.

doubleblue
06-20-2014, 01:32 AM
A nice problem to have (cf. Winnipeg's "international" kicker). Though (for example) the idea of more or less having to ditch one of Johnson, Slaton is quite unpalatable.

Milo said Slaton had a hamstring problem which affected his play somewhat. Interpetation, Johnson starts and Slaton goes on the injured list for now. Steele makes it for his ST play. Sewell, Dhillon, Coombs and Sinkfield should also be newcomers on the offensive side. Defense? Buy a program I guess. Canadians Emry, Black, Gabriel, Laing, Brown, Yurichuk and Tonye should be locks. Horton and Lawrence and a whole bunch of new imports on the D. Quite the pass rush from the new DLinemen, but will have to see if they are able to stop the likes of RB's Cornish, Harris and Cable when the lights go on.

D-Gap-Willie
06-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Is anybody still wondering why Kiante Tripp and Robert Gill were cut, and wondering if they will be brought back ?

Rich
06-20-2014, 03:18 AM
Milo said Slaton had a hamstring problem which affected his play somewhat. Interpetation, Johnson starts and Slaton goes on the injured list for now.

I hope you're right. I'm a huge Steve Slaton fan, but Johnson was sensational and IMO should be the opening day starter. Such deceptive power for a smaller back. Be great to keep all three INT backs around somehow.

I think there should be a controversy at #2 QB. I thought Mitchell Gale looked way better than Harris. Gale has improved a lot, and Harris hasn't really improved that much.

I think Darvin Adams is a lock, and I think the D-Line is going to surprise a lot of people. I would venture to say there's more raw talent on the D-Line this year then there was last year, the question is how long will it take for them to gel. Romeus and Gibson are specimens, I think they'll be back starting in the NFL in 2 years.

And it pains me to say that I think Zach Collaros is going to have a big season in the Hammer this year. His uncanny ability to elude pressure and hit an open guy is a perfect fit for a team with Andy Fantuz on it. I think Ray and Collaros will be the top 2 QBs in the League this year.

We saw some pretty good football for a pre season game last night.

gilthethrill
06-20-2014, 06:19 AM
I listened to the game on TSN radio, sounded like a lot of spectacular plays, inparticular a run by Johnson and a catch by Sinkfield. Highlight package on CFL website is under a minute long however. Its a bit early to start sending guys back to the NFL after dominating what should be a porous Hamilton o-line.

Will
06-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Am I the only one who felt that the referee Kim Murphy sounded ill?

paulwoods13
06-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Here are the observations I tweeted out last night, for what they're worth:

1st half:

#Argos have some excellent d-linemen, lots of depth at receiver. Coombs is a real keeper. Love the no-huddle.

Starting o-line looked good, with VZ at RT and King at RG. Don't think Sewell got on the field.

Post-game:

D-line looked fantastic but difficult to say how much of that is what looked like a woeful Ham o-line.

Sinkfield is a keeper to replace Inman, but we also need to keep Bryant and Adams. And maybe Fayson as well.

All three import RBs played well enough to stay. Steele looked great on kick cvge, Johnson ran well and Slaton made a great catch/run.

Coombs played Durie's SB spot and looked like a Durie clone. He will make an impact this season. Hope Adjei sticks as well

Gale played fantastic in 3rd quarter. He could push Harris for No. 2. Looked very similar to Ricky. I left early, didn't see Casey.

The long snaps from Reinhart were all good. Benson also did some LS. Backup P/K Jasper uncorked a KO to the 5.

Seem to have decent talent and depth in the secondary. Lawrence played with the 2nd unit. Underwood and Lewis looked good.

Gabriel looked outstanding on D and ST. May be ready to start

Jas Dhillon snapped well and should stay as backup C. The bkup o-line struggled. I see Sewell, Dhillon and Lewis all staying.

Not sure about W Smith, who dressed but DNP. Not dressed were Durie, Watt, Laing, Tonye-T, Portis and Hood. Portis on the bubble.

Hate to read too much into preseason but our D-linemen really seem to have high-rev motors. One sack was a big chasedown by No. 93.

Collaros played very well for Ham. Elusive, confident and on target. Tasker and Fantuz in mid-season form.

Scary to think we have only 5k season ticket holders. Or was there an option to decline the ex game -- can't remember.

ColdCrusty78
06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
I realize that it's only a pre-season game but it's always nice to open a can of Whoopass on the Ti-Cats. 9 SACKS!!! Loved it!

Argo
06-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Amidst the embarrassment of riches at receiver - what about Stroud? He seems to be slipping through the cracks such that I'm not sure whether I'm just imagining there's a Stroud on the roster.
IIRC... he showed well in the first preseason game and also arrived with the reputation of being a quality WR.

OV Argo
06-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Re D-line: seems like some impressive newcomers - Gibson, Romeus, Whiteside (all have some NFL roster experience) at DE; Logan Harell (very nice college ball resume) & Delano Johnson at DT - how many of these guys will they be able to keep ? - maybe all 5 new import D-linemen supplemented by Laing at DT and DE Ivan Brown (2 sack game - maybe he's coming on with his CFL experience, as he didn't impress me last season). Would be a very inexperienced CFL D-Line, but if these guys all have good motors, could be a good pass-rush D-Line, and IMO that is so important in the CFL as Ds are just not going to be consistently attacked by a strong ground game.

AngeloV
06-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Gee it's hard to be Zach behind the Oline in Hamilton. :D Makes one appreciate our Oline and company, that give our QB's time to make a good choice.

I wasn't at the game last night, so I can't really comment on how bad the Cats o-line really was. One thing I will say though is that even last year when Collaros played the Argos took more sacks with him at QB than they did with Ray. I think a QB like Zach will often try to extend plays with his athletic ability rather than rely on his reads, and that will put more pressure on the o-line. I bet Austin will stress to him to start making quicker decisions to help the line out.

paulwoods13
06-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Maybe this needs a new thread but at this point I think we will start seven nationals:

Durie and Watt/Bradwell at receiver (where was Watt last night? I didn't see him on the sidelines)
Holmes, Keeping and VZ on the o-line (with VZ at RT and King moving to RG)
Emry at LB
Black/Gabriel at safety

I expect we will use four INT d-linemen, but Brown and Laing (if healthy) will rotate in to keep fresh motors. I think Coombs will be Durie's primary backup at SB.

1argoholic
06-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Both in 96 and 97 we were a sacking machine of a team along with a great O. Hopefully we are making strides to be like those teams. Have to hand it to Barker and his crew for digging up the talent to fill huge holes year after year. Now teams come and grab our qb's. WOW, what a change.

Sounds like it was a blast. Strange sitting at the Memorial Centre in Peterborough watching The Lakers. Even while in Duncan we'd listen to the games.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Both in 96 and 97 we were a sacking machine of a team along with a great O.

Have we ever had a defence that got after the QB like that since '96-'97? We have won two Grey Cups since but were among the lower ranked teams both years in sacks IIRC.

Will
06-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Argo sack totals for last 6 championship teams:

1983- 39.0 (Rick Mohr, 15.5)
1991- 41.0 (Mike Campbell, 13.0)
1996- 44.0 (Rob Waldrop, Tim Cofield, 9.0)
1997- 49.0 (Andrew Stewart, 8.0)
2004- 41.0 (Noah Cantor, 10.0)
2012- 27.0 (Armond Armstead, 6.0)

Some Argo teams that fell short may have actually had higher sack totals:

1984- 58.0 (James Curry, 22.0)
1987- 61.0 (Rodney Harding, 13.0)

OV Argo
06-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Maybe this needs a new thread but at this point I think we will start seven nationals:

Durie and Watt/Bradwell at receiver (where was Watt last night? I didn't see him on the sidelines)
Holmes, Keeping and VZ on the o-line (with VZ at RT and King moving to RG)
Emry at LB
Black/Gabriel at safety

I expect we will use four INT d-linemen, but Brown and Laing (if healthy) will rotate in to keep fresh motors. I think Coombs will be Durie's primary backup at SB.

I'll guess Laing "starts" or at least plays lots in a rotation at DT - so that would be 3 NI starters on D (Emry at MLB, Gabriel/Black at S)

Who is the other starting import OT ? - he better be very good if he is going to bump King to OT - i'll believe it when i see it if whoever is there is a better OT than King.

With 3 NIs on D and only 3 on the O-Line, the Argos could think of going with only one NI "starter" (Durie) in the receiver 5 pack - which could be the way to get to the only 7 need apply bit if that is the thinking, but i'll bet on some platooning on the D-Line and the receiving corps that sees some NIs with playing time.

OV Argo
06-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Argo sack totals for last 6 championship teams:

1983- 39.0 (Rick Mohr, 15.5)
1991- 41.0 (Mike Campbell, 13.0)
1996- 44.0 (Rob Waldrop, Tim Cofield, 9.0)
1997- 49.0 (Andrew Stewart, 8.0)
2004- 41.0 (Noah Cantor, 10.0)
2012- 27.0 (Armond Armstead, 6.0)

Some Argo teams that fell short may have actually had higher sack totals:

1984- 58.0 (James Curry, 22.0)
1987- 61.0 (Rodney Harding, 13.0)

That 87 team of course went to the GC (in IMO one of the greatest GC games ever) and had a very good D - Harding along with Kulka and Baylis on the D-Line and other defensive stalwarts like Pless, Moen, Pleasant.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
That 87 team of course went to the GC (in IMO one of the greatest GC games ever) and had a very good D - Harding along with Kulka and Baylis on the D-Line and other defensive stalwarts like Pless, Moen, Pleasant.

IMO, the '87 Grey Cup was THE greatest GC of all time although the Argos lost a heartbreaker. I really liked that '87 team a lot although there weren't high expectations coming out of camp, especially with a new and untested quarterbacking brigade. The defensive line in '87 was a solid one. I did not realize that they had 61 sacks that year. Impressive indeed!

paulwoods13
06-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I'll guess Laing "starts" or at least plays lots in a rotation at DT - so that would be 3 NI starters on D (Emry at MLB, Gabriel/Black at S)

Who is the other starting import OT ? - he better be very good if he is going to bump King to OT - i'll believe it when i see it if whoever is there is a better OT than King.

With 3 NIs on D and only 3 on the O-Line, the Argos could think of going with only one NI "starter" (Durie) in the receiver 5 pack - which could be the way to get to the only 7 need apply bit if that is the thinking, but i'll bet on some platooning on the D-Line and the receiving corps that sees some NIs with playing time.

If Laing is healthy, it probably does make sense to list him as a starter and have eight in total -- much more roster flex that way. He and the INT d-lineman could all be shuffled in and out frequently.

The starting o-line last night had Rogers at LT and King at RG, with VZ at RT. I'm assuming since that unit started (and played well in the first quarter), that is the way they're starting the season. King always played right tackle last year; Rogers and Washington rotated at LT. I wasn't too high on Rogers last year but it's possible he has developed into a high-quality LT. He certainly looked solid there last night. The o-line starters all looked comfortable pepping up and tutoring the rookies on the sideline, as did Chiu who looks like an excellent addition to the coaching staff.

If they do find a way to always play three INTs on defence, it would allow them to make better use of the embarrassment of riches they seem to have at receiver. As everyone here knows, I like Watt, but I think Adams or Bryant would be an upgrade over him. Sinkfield definitely has to find a spot in the lineup, maybe ahead of Barnes altho the latter scored an easy TD last night on a play that looked identical to Cedric Minter's game-winning TD in 1983.

Neely2005
06-20-2014, 01:42 PM
What did everyone think of Terrell Sinkfield last night? I thought that he really stood out. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he certainly has had a hard time sticking with a team in the last year:

Miami DolphinsOn April 27, 2013, He signed with the Miami Dolphins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins) as an undrafted free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_Draft).[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-2) On May 28, 2013, he was waived by the Dolphins.

Green Bay PackersOn June 11, 2013, the Packers signed him.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-3) On July 19, 2013, he was released by the Packers.

Buffalo BillsOn August 3, 2013, Sinkfield was signed by the Buffalo Bills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills).[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-4) On August 18, 2013, he was released by the Bills.
[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-5)

New York GiantsOn August 21, 2013, Sinkfield was signed by the New York Giants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Giants).[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-6) On August 25, 2013, he was cut by the Giants.

[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-7)
Toronto ArgonautsOn March 13, 2014 Sinkfield signed with the Toronto Argonauts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Argonauts) of the Canadian Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League).[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield#cite_note-8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Sinkfield

Will
06-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Sinkfield certainly made his case last night. If we are trying to lessen the load on Chad Owens in terms of kick and punt returns then he had a couple of nice punt returns. He made a spectacular catch also last night and had made a nice catch in the first pre-season game.

Rich
06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Sinkfield certainly made his case last night. If we are trying to lessen the load on Chad Owens in terms of kick and punt returns then he had a couple of nice punt returns. He made a spectacular catch also last night and had made a nice catch in the first pre-season game.

He also had a bad drop last night.

ArgoRavi
06-20-2014, 02:52 PM
If Laing is healthy, it probably does make sense to list him as a starter and have eight in total -- much more roster flex that way. He and the INT d-lineman could all be shuffled in and out frequently.

The starting o-line last night had Rogers at LT and King at RG, with VZ at RT. I'm assuming since that unit started (and played well in the first quarter), that is the way they're starting the season. King always played right tackle last year; Rogers and Washington rotated at LT. I wasn't too high on Rogers last year but it's possible he has developed into a high-quality LT. He certainly looked solid there last night. The o-line starters all looked comfortable pepping up and tutoring the rookies on the sideline, as did Chiu who looks like an excellent addition to the coaching staff.

If they do find a way to always play three INTs on defence, it would allow them to make better use of the embarrassment of riches they seem to have at receiver. As everyone here knows, I like Watt, but I think Adams or Bryant would be an upgrade over him. Sinkfield definitely has to find a spot in the lineup, maybe ahead of Barnes altho the latter scored an easy TD last night on a play that looked identical to Cedric Minter's game-winning TD in 1983.

Sinkfield had another good punt return last night too, did he not? I see him relieving Owens of some of his kick return responsibilities. It will be interesting to see what the opening day lineup looks like.

paulwoods13
06-20-2014, 03:01 PM
I think Sinkfield has earned a spot on the 44, either as a starter or a designated international who can return kicks and spot in on offence. I also really liked what I saw from Adams last night. And Bryant is no slouch.

gilthethrill
06-20-2014, 04:46 PM
I think Sinkfield has earned a spot on the 44, either as a starter or a designated international who can return kicks and spot in on offence. I also really liked what I saw from Adams last night. And Bryant is no slouch.

Will Bryant stick with all these kids performing? I was expecting more from Kyle Moore on D, but it seems lesser known have really stepped up.

argotom
06-22-2014, 01:04 PM
I hope you're right. I'm a huge Steve Slaton fan, but Johnson was sensational and IMO should be the opening day starter. Such deceptive power for a smaller back. Be great to keep all three INT backs around somehow.

I think there should be a controversy at #2 QB. I thought Mitchell Gale looked way better than Harris. Gale has improved a lot, and Harris hasn't really improved that much.

I think Darvin Adams is a lock, and I think the D-Line is going to surprise a lot of people. I would venture to say there's more raw talent on the D-Line this year then there was last year, the question is how long will it take for them to gel. Romeus and Gibson are specimens, I think they'll be back starting in the NFL in 2 years.

And it pains me to say that I think Zach Collaros is going to have a big season in the Hammer this year. His uncanny ability to elude pressure and hit an open guy is a perfect fit for a team with Andy Fantuz on it. I think Ray and Collaros will be the top 2 QBs in the League this year.

We saw some pretty good football for a pre season game last night.

Agree with you on the QB's front.
I have been disappointed with the performance of Harris this pre season.
For me his stock has gone south big time with Gale as the back up and even Paschall ahead on the depth chart.
My opinion on Zach has not wavered as he may be the next wave of superstar QB in the league.
Who knows possibly to remain way after Ricky retires?

ArgoRavi
06-22-2014, 01:07 PM
For me his stock has gone south big time with Gale as the back up and even Paschall ahead on the depth chart.
My opinion on Zach has not wavered as he may be the next wave of superstar QB in the league.

Did Harris look that bad against Hamilton? He was, by far, the best QB in the preseason opener against Winnipeg so it surprises me to hear you say this, AT.

Argocister
06-22-2014, 01:30 PM

Did Harris look that bad against Hamilton? He was, by far, the best QB in the preseason opener against Winnipeg so it surprises me to hear you say this, AT.

What do you look for when assessing their abilities. To me .... not a big football mind but a fan .... Harris could control the game. Gale did show great abilitites, and I could accept your assessment of placing Gale as the back up .... But I don't know where you get the assessment that Paschall would be ahead of Harris on the depth chart. Mind you ,I have only seen Paschall play in the pre season games and a bit at the fan day..... maybe you have seen him more at practices.

argotom
06-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Harris has not progressed to the next level, like Zach did last year even though I recall the two apparently were neck and neck in the 2013 camp.
With his multi year experience with the team, I would have thought he would take the reins and shown leadership as a definitive back up to Ricky.
Instead, I have seen him make rookie mistakes with his reads, happy feet and most important the trajectory and some of the poorly thrown balls and the pics.
Maybe I am being too critical of Harris, especially what Zach has done and the up side with his career.

ArgoGabe22
06-22-2014, 04:41 PM
I would say Harris has improved from last year and should be the backup without putting too much stock into the Hamilton game. Harris has looked good in practice and played really good vs WPG. Overall, keeping the whole training camp in mind, Harris should be #2.

ArgoZ
06-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Harris has not progressed to the next level, like Zach did last year even though I recall the two apparently were neck and neck in the 2013 camp.
With his multi year experience with the team, I would have thought he would take the reins and shown leadership as a definitive back up to Ricky.
Instead, I have seen him make rookie mistakes with his reads, happy feet and most important the trajectory and some of the poorly thrown balls and the pics.
Maybe I am being too critical of Harris, especially what Zach has done and the up side with his career.

Come on AT, your prejudice is clouding your judgment once again. The Argos choose Ray over Colaros, not Harris, so quit trying to find every little fault in his game, like it somehow justifies your opinion. I can find many faults in your precious "Zach", like his terrible sideline reads and his lame duck deep balls. Please explain how Harris has "happy feet". He is very poised in the pocket and a better passer than you give him credit for.

AngeloV
06-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Come on AT, your prejudice is clouding your judgment once again. The Argos choose Ray over Colaros, not Harris, so quit trying to find every little fault in his game, like it somehow justifies your opinion. I can find many faults in your precious "Zach", like his terrible sideline reads and his lame duck deep balls. Please explain how Harris has "happy feet". He is very poised in the pocket and a better passer than you give him credit for.

Here Here!!

For the record, I was able to attend my first practice of the season on today (Sunday). Steve Slaton did not take part in practice today. He was for the most part on the stationary bike. Same for Josh Portis.

I was speaking with Jim Barker today and asked if they would find a way to keep all 5 QB's, and he said it was unlikely. He told me Pachal will be their developmental QB, so I'm thinking Portis will be the odd man out. Too bad. Lots of talent, but hard to make it if you miss all of camp.

Argocister
06-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Just read this comment on twitter......

I think CTV Regina just rolled more Argo-Ti-Cat highlights than CTV Toronto.

That is depressing.

Rich
06-23-2014, 01:03 AM

Surely you're not suggesting Harris is a better QB than Collaros? Our precious Zach threw a couple of beautiful deep balls in the Hamilton game. Please explain his "terrible sideline reads", his body of work suggests he makes decisions like a seasoned pro.

ArgoZ
06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Surely you're not suggesting Harris is a better QB than Collaros? Our precious Zach threw a couple of beautiful deep balls in the Hamilton game. Please explain his "terrible sideline reads", his body of work suggests he makes decisions like a seasoned pro.

Nope, not suggesting anything. I am just calling out AT for nitpicking at Harris' every little mistake, just because he is not named Collaros. AT wants to sit back and say "I told you so", like he is some genius. We choose Ray and it's time to move on. I think Collaros is an exciting QB, however he is also not perfect, no matter how much AT tells ya, LOL. Collaros does throw the odd sideline pass that is unadvised, trying to make something out of nothing, but I am nitpicking to prove a point. Harris throws a better deep ball though.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8