PDA

View Full Version : Argos sign QB Jackson

R.J
02-17-2012, 05:32 PM
No Terms released yet, http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=388112

1argoholic
02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I was just on the Argo site and there was squat about this. I LOVE IT!!!!!! Our qb's are set baby!!!!!!!

Will
02-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Who's are backup: Jackson or Tafralis?
Who's are #3: Jackson, Tafralis or Hall?

1argoholic
02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Who cares!! We have qb's. Bye Bell now your coaching career has officially started.

Will
02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Who cares!! We have qb's. Bye Bell now your coaching career has officially started.

We have QB's, but discussing where they'll fit in isn't a worthless discussion.

Invader
02-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Great signing of Jarious Jackson by the Argos! Even if he doesn't play, Jarious will be a bonus for the team. Coupled with Ricky Ray, Adam Tafralis (who has 3 yrs. CFL experience) and QB Coach Jason Maas, the Argos QB meter just hit off the scale!

Skinny G
02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Now's the time to draft Kyle Quinlan, who better to learn from than Scott Milanovich, Jason Maas, Ricky Ray, and Jarious Jackson. As for the depth chart, right now I'd put it as Ray, Jackson, Tafralis, and Hall, obviously things could change during and after training camp, but even if Jackson or Tafralis are #3 really won't make much of a difference.

I would LOVE to see the Argos draft Quinlan! The boy can definitely play... and if the Vanier cup didn't prove that I don't know what will. He's a cool, calm and collected customer. Never gonna forget when they panned to Quinlan after the Laval TD and he says "nice catch" as if it were an exhibition game. Also, as you mentioned with all the veteren QB minds around him, it's a great place for him to develop in the system.

Oarsman
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I think Jackson will be #3 when Ray is healthy... Could be bumped up to #2 if Trafalis still needs seasoning. This is good for Trafalis, as he has two veterans around him to teach him the game. Jackson accepts the backup and support role.
Somebody slap me and wake me from this dream!!!!:peekaboo:

dmont
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd also be surprised if Bell was back next year. I was there for Cleo's last game, and I'm sure that if Cleo hadn't exploded on the coach in the locker room at halftime, it would have been Bell released the next day. He's got a good arm, he just makes bad decisions.

I think this means our QB situation is (1) Ray, (2) Jackson, (3) Tafralis. I know Tafralis has been #3 for a while, but he'll likely be ok playing behind the veterans. Jackson's older than Ray and has had his share of health problems. He's not a candidate for the QB spot long term. If Tafralis shows promise, he'll be the backup in a year or two, and depending on how long Ricky Ray will be at the top of his game, Tafralis could be number 1 sooner rather than later. When you think about it, being #3 right now on the Argos might present better career prospects than being #2 on BC, Calgary, Hamilton, or Montreal.

Drafting a Canadian QB seems like a luxury now that the Argos can't afford. Let's focus on replacing the NI O-linemen and linebackers we're likely to lose to free agency.

Area 51
02-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Jackson will be the clear #2 QB. Very good presence in teh locker room as well.

There's no way Tafralis get the back up spot - - he's going to be in a battle with BJ Hall to get the #3 spot. Based on age/potential and the ability to run short yardage, I'd say Hall is the favourite at this point.

paulwoods13
02-17-2012, 08:18 PM
When you think about it, being #3 right now on the Argos might present better career prospects than being #2 on BC, Calgary, Hamilton, or Montreal.

Calgary and B.C., maybe, but I can't agree at all on Mtl and Ham. Calvillo and Burris are pretty well guaranteed to retire before Ray. The No. 2 QBs there are in position to start within a year or two -- something that I don't think can be said about the No. 3 for the Argos.

ArgoRavi
02-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Who's are backup: Jackson or Tafralis?
Who's are #3: Jackson, Tafralis or Hall?

I am surprised that we signed Jackson after signing Tafralis yesterday but this will certainly end any complaints that we don't have enough CFL experience among our QBs. I fully expect Tafralis to push Jackson for the backup spot behind Ray and will be mildly surprised if he doesn't win it. Would the Argos keep the loser of the Tafralis/Jackson battle as the third stringer or release that QB outright and just go with B.J. Hall or whomever else is around?

paulwoods13
02-17-2012, 08:33 PM
I am surprised that we signed Jackson after signing Tafralis yesterday but this will certainly end any complaints that we don't have enough CFL experience among our QBs. I fully expect Tafralis to push Jackson for the backup spot behind Ray and will be mildly surprised if he doesn't win it. Would the Argos keep the loser of the Tafralis/Jackson battle as the third stringer or release that QB outright and just go with B.J. Hall or whomever else is around?

I expect that Jackson will happily accept the No. 3 role and act as a quasi-coach to Tafralis. Hall (or Quinlan if we end up with him -- would love to see that) will stick around all season as No. 4. I think Jackson is here for one year only and will cede his place as third-stringer in 2013.

dmont
02-17-2012, 08:34 PM

There's no way Tafralis get the back up spot - - he's going to be in a battle with BJ Hall to get the #3 spot. Based on age/potential and the ability to run short yardage, I'd say Hall is the favourite at this point.

I disagree. Tafralis has more short yardage experience than Hall, and Tafralis' style is more similar to Ray's whereas Hall is more similar to Jyles. If the Argos want to build some consistency and continuity in QB players and coaches over the next ten years, it makes sense to groom a youngster to play in the same system as the current starter.

Calgary and B.C., maybe, but I can't agree at all on Mtl and Ham. Calvillo and Burris are pretty well guaranteed to retire before Ray. The No. 2 QBs there are in position to start within a year or two -- something that I don't think can be said about the No. 3 for the Argos.

Yup, you're right. Still, better to be #3 in Toronto than #3 in Hamilton or Montreal... or Winnipeg, for that matter.

1argoholic
02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I think this is a great situation for Trafalis. If he looks good Ray and Jackson aren't going to play forever. Hopefully we can find another young qb in a few years to develop. I'm very happy with our qb situation and I think it's a great combo right now. We've gone from squat to killer in less than a year. Good on yah Barker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KCargosfan
02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I think Argotom may have just passed out due to happiness.

OV Argo
02-18-2012, 12:02 AM
I really don't see Tafralis coming back to the CFL to be a number 4 guy, it's either Jackson or Tafralis in the number 2 spot and the "loser" as #3, which I doubt either would take offense to. Seems like most on here would like to see Quinlan drafted, glad to here that as Quinlan looks like a solid prospect and IMO both he and Sinopoli could be starters in the CFL one day. Shouldn't look past Greene either, as I believe he has the skill set, just needs more training.

Why bother drafting Quinlan when they already have Ray, Jackson, Trafalis and Hall ? - he'd be buried at 5th on the depth chart no matter how good he is; keep one of them inferior NI QBs to "develop" down the road eh? - how long did Brannagan last?

Sinopoli or Quinlan have zero shot at ever starting in the CFL "one day" - not with the current make-up of CFL decision making - and that isn't going to change in the forseeable future.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Why bother drafting Quinlan when they already have Ray, Jackson, Trafalis and Hall ? - he'd be buried at 5th on the depth chart no matter how good he is; keep one of them inferior NI QBs to "develop" down the road eh? - how long did Brannagan last?

Sinopoli or Quinlan have zero shot at ever starting in the CFL "one day" - not with the current make-up of CFL decision making - and that isn't going to change in the forseeable future.

I get the sense that you actually believe CIS QBs have the ability to start in the CFL. Of course, I'd never expect you to answer that question - - I'm sure you'll give a flippant comment and talk about conspiracy theory and how "the man" is trying to oppress the Canadian QB.

Watching Brannigan take reps in the pre season and in the game he played in season it was pretty apparent the arm strength just wasn't there. And if you don't have an arm as a QB, you'd better be able to get out of the pocket and run - - something else Brannigan couldn't do. Brannigan was the best CIS QB since Tommy Drunkenson, and if he couldn't come close to having the ability to play in the CFL how do you expect lesser CIS QBs to make it?

It'd be a nice story to see the next Russ Jackson in the CFL - - personally, I don't care if the QB is from Canada or Cambodia as long as he can play. Realistically, if there is a starting Canadian QB he (or she) is going to come from the NCAA not the CIS.

1argoholic
02-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Argos just signed a rb from Cambodia but no qb yet.

OV Argo
02-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I get the sense that you actually believe CIS QBs have the ability to start in the CFL. Of course, I'd never expect you to answer that question - - I'm sure you'll give a flippant comment and talk about conspiracy theory and how "the man" is trying to oppress the Canadian QB.

Watching Brannigan take reps in the pre season and in the game he played in season it was pretty apparent the arm strength just wasn't there. And if you don't have an arm as a QB, you'd better be able to get out of the pocket and run - - something else Brannigan couldn't do. Brannigan was the best CIS QB since Tommy Drunkenson, and if he couldn't come close to having the ability to play in the CFL how do you expect lesser CIS QBs to make it?

It'd be a nice story to see the next Russ Jackson in the CFL - - personally, I don't care if the QB is from Canada or Cambodia as long as he can play. Realistically, if there is a starting Canadian QB he (or she) is going to come from the NCAA not the CIS.

Yeah - for sure - you're quite right and just being realistic here; sorry for my bad; "realistically" - I wouldn't expect any inferior trained stiff from CIS ball being able to compete for playing time in the CFL; BUT - that damn nuisance ratio forces CFL teams to carry a bunch of useless Canadians on the roster and 7 of them have to end up starting / getting playing time. Pretty sad, but it is what it is; and certain football positions are just bound to be reserved for imports only - rightfully so; QB is definitely one of them; a bunch of other positions too - like DE as well; an NCAA trained Canuck like Brent Johnson (DI all-star at Ohio State) got to play DE in the CFL, but could you imagine a DE from freakin' CIS ball getting to play in the CFL? - cripes, the guy would be so lacking and not up to pro speed he'd be an embarassment; same deal with a CIS/Canadian trained - receiver (like Fantuz) or RB (like Lumsden) or MLB (like Pottinger) - couldn't come close to having the ability to play in the CFL; and QB - the key position? - forget about it - no need to even try-out some of these stiffs in a CFL TC. Thanks for setting the record straight - and obviously, bums like Drunkerson or Brannagan and a whole bunch of other top CIS QBs have bombed totally in all the CFL playing time we got to see as conclusive evidence; Trafalis and Hall types OTOH - now there's some real QB talent.

AngeloV
02-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Are you kidding me? Who has more experience than Jackson at running the short yardage. Hall has zero point zero chance of making the Argos this season. Sorry, he just isn't a pro caliber QB. He wasn't even much of a college caliber QB. Depth chart will be Ray, Tafralis and Jackson.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 01:41 AM
I guess Foley isn't good enough to be a DE in this league since he's CIS trained according to what I'm reading in this thread, but on to another subject.

Evidently, you misread the post. I thought I was pretty clear in stating CIS QB - - not CIS DE or CIS RB or CIS K.

argolio
02-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Depth chart will be Ray, Tafralis and Jackson.I'm down with that depth chart.

ArgoRavi
02-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Would have to agree AV, wasn't impressed with Hall in the college footage I've seen or even his days in the arena league, Tafralis and Jackson are clearly in the 2-3 spots, and IMO if Hall doesn't show his stuff at TC he'll probably be cut. BTW read some rumours that the Tafralis deal is around 95K per season and Jackson is either 145K or 105K per season, again just rumblings so most likely not very accurate.

My gut feeling is that Hall won't even be brought back for training camp. If they see their top three QBs as being Ray, Jackson and Tafralis - with the latter two battling it out for the #2 spot - then they won't keep Hall as #4 after he was the third stringer last year. They will either bring in a young import or draft Quinlan to be that fourth QB.

Chuckonauts
02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Jackson's gotta be the back-up at least he's had a real stretch of starts in this league and has had real success. I see him on the same level as like Jyles. I just hope it's a moot point because RR is gonna (knock on wood) stay healthy and be lights out as the starter this year. So unless we need someone for 3rd and short, lets hope there's no need for Jackson or Tafralis to see the field! (Again, knock on wood, kiss the cross, rub the budda belly, call your mother((good karma)) lol

I hope so Ravi, I really do. I suppose a lot depends on the draft now or another Qb signing. God how I love this off season. :D

What's Danny "Zap" Brannagan up to?? Let's give him another shot and some time to mature.

Will
02-18-2012, 09:07 AM
What's Danny "Zap" Brannagan up to?? Let's give him another shot and some time to mature.

I think he's working in the financial industry.

ArgoGabe22
02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I think he's working in the financial industry.

TD Waterhouse in Burlington I believe.

argotom
02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Unlike the last several years and isn't it refreshing, you can never have enough decent QB's on the roster.
What a concept.

Will
02-18-2012, 12:51 PM
There still is no official word on this on the Argos website. He has not been added to the roster nor is his signing listed under the transactions page.

Invader
02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
It makes no sense for the Argos to sign Jackson as a No. 3 QB. He's QB insurance in case Ray gets injured...and needs some game action to keep in fighting trim. If Tafralis is projected as the No. 2, then what role would Jackson play?...as a mentor and replacement for Tafralis in case he gets injured? The Argos should of hired Jackson as a QB coach then, and his salary wouldn't count towards the SMS.

Clearly Jarious is the backup QB and if he can't beat out Tafralis in training camp, he should be released.

1argoholic
02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm sure Jackson is the backup.

Ron
02-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Trafalis made one good pass in 3 seasons in Hamilton. Ya, give him the #2 spot.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 11:46 PM
It's a head scratcher to see so many suggestions that Tafralis will be ahead of Jackson on the depth charts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tafralis ends up being cut by the end of training camp.

paulwoods13
02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Tafralis is likely to get as much playing time as Jackson, i.e. little to none -- barring an injury. So what does it really matter who is where on the depth chart? I believe Jackson is here for one year, to mentor Tafralis and whoever is the fourth-stringer, and to serve as an emergency replacement if Ray gets hurt. Tafralis will hold for FGs and has a shot at some developmental playing time if the Argos get big leads or fall behind by a lot of points.

AngeloV
02-19-2012, 10:49 AM
It makes no sense for the Argos to sign Jackson as a No. 3 QB. He's QB insurance in case Ray gets injured...and needs some game action to keep in fighting trim. If Tafralis is projected as the No. 2, then what role would Jackson play?...as a mentor and replacement for Tafralis in case he gets injured? The Argos should of hired Jackson as a QB coach then, and his salary wouldn't count towards the SMS.

Clearly Jarious is the backup QB and if he can't beat out Tafralis in training camp, he should be released.

Quit your love affair with all things B.C. would ya? It makes perfect sense to sign him as a #3 if both he and the team see future coaching in him.

marcwagz
02-19-2012, 11:26 AM
argos dont need to draft a canadian qb yet, wait till will finch comes through the system

R.J
02-19-2012, 01:30 PM
argos dont need to draft a canadian qb yet, wait till will finch comes through the system
You're absolutely right, I'm sure all teams are waiting for Finch. BTW know if Finch has chosen a program yet ? Last I heard he was contemplating Mac or Western.

gilthethrill
02-19-2012, 02:11 PM
You're absolutely right, I'm sure all teams are waiting for Finch. BTW know if Finch has chosen a program yet ? Last I heard he was contemplating Mac or Western.

Finch has committed to Western. I wish TSN or someone would follow grassroots football closer in this country. I often wonder why there is no TV coverage for the JR football championships that take place each year. Does the NFL network carry it? How hard can it be for TSN for example to pick up the feed & fit into the schedule...is poker & darts that big of a deal?

R.J
02-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Wow Finch and Varga on the same team, Finch is a huge upgrade over Marshall (who obviously if it wasn't for his Father being the coach wouldn't play), I'd take Western as the early favourite win the Vanier Cup. Still have no idea as to why the University changed names (The University of Western Ontario to now being Western University), people still call them Western.

ArgoRavi
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow Finch and Varga on the same team, Finch is a huge upgrade over Marshall (who obviously if it wasn't for his Father being the coach wouldn't play), I'd take Western as the early favourite win the Vanier Cup. Still have no idea as to why the University changed names (The University of Western Ontario to now being Western University), people still call them Western.

I didn't even know that they had changed their name. There was nothing wrong with UWO and I can't imagine that the costs of changing the name are worth it but they can do what they want, I suppose. I don't know much about this Finch guy but he was the one who threw a beautiful TD pass in that recent world jr. championship, correct?

argolio
02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Ironically, I live near Finch Avenue. What are the odds?

Argocister
02-21-2012, 12:24 AM

I'd stick with Mac as the early favourite for the Yates and possibly the Vanier...... especially if Quinlin returns to Mac for his final year of eligibility. Marshall, Macs second in line QB, did quite well when Quinlin had to sit out for 3 games. Finch will take a year or so to develop. It is difficult to see Laval give up another Vanier, but one never knows.
Western supposedly changed their name to become more attractive to international students. .... personally, I think they just wanted to make other CIS fans buy new T-shirts.... and change from " Wuck Festern" ...to ... "Wuck FU "
:)

marcwagz
02-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I didn't even know that they had changed their name. There was nothing wrong with UWO and I can't imagine that the costs of changing the name are worth it but they can do what they want, I suppose. I don't know much about this Finch guy but he was the one who threw a beautiful TD pass in that recent world jr. championship, correct?

he also led his high school team to a dominating champioship

ArgoRavi
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
When is the Jarious Jackson signing going to be made official?

Will
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Good question, it's still not posted on the Argonauts website. I figured they'd do it after the long weekend, but 24-hours later and nothing.

R.J
02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Guess today was the day. http://www.argonauts.ca/article/taking-action-argos-sign-qb-jackson

1argoholic
02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
How about Andrew Jones?

Oarsman
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Guess today was the day. http://www.argonauts.ca/article/taking-action-argos-sign-qb-jackson

I didn't know the Argonauts held his CFL rights when he broke into the league.

Skinny G
02-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I didn't know the Argonauts held his CFL rights when he broke into the league.

Kinda makes you wonder what could've been. Plus, wasn't there talk of him coming to Toronto when he was a free agent before, like 2-3 years ago?

1argoholic
02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Yah it makes one wonder what mistakes were made before. This guy played bigtime college ball at Notre Dame and well.

Oarsman
02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Who was our starting quarterback then?

Will
02-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Who was our starting quarterback then?

Jackson debuted in the league in 2005, when our starting QB was Damon Allen, however, Jackson says that the Argos held his original CFL rights and not when he broke into the league. I assume the Argos could have had him on their negotiating list around 1998-1999 when Jackson was leaving Notre Dame. Our QB situation was a bit unstable back then and it flipped between Kerwin Bell in 1998 and the duo of Jay Barker and Jimmy Kemp in 1999.

matchuk
02-22-2012, 09:20 PM
this is great news to see...

ArgoRavi
02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Yah it makes one wonder what mistakes were made before. This guy played bigtime college ball at Notre Dame and well.

So did Tony Rice. It isn't like Jackson has shot the lights out in this league and that we missed out on a hall-of-famer all of these years.

Oarsman
02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
After listening to the on line interview on argonauts.ca, JJ said the Argonauts owned his rights when Bob O.B. was the GM. When OB moved to BC, he took JJ's rights with him.

Will
02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
After listening to the on line interview on argonauts.ca, JJ said the Argonauts owned his rights when Bob O.B. was the GM. When OB moved to BC, he took JJ's rights with him.

I'm skeptical of that, I thought that Obie hasn't had a position with the Argos since 1995?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8