PDA

View Full Version : Argos Sign OL Andrew Jones

ArgoGabe22
02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
"One more signing late on this Friday: Argos have signed former BC OL Andrew Jones."

I thinks that's the final nail in coffin for Murph and Taylor resigning. Great signing!

R.J
02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Not a bad signing, he's a Toronto boy and is under 30 (by 1 year). Would have to agree Gabe, this more than likely is the end of Murphy and Robertson in Hog Town.

argolio
02-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Lions fans think he'll start for us.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Good pick up in terms of NI depth. I don't see Jones starting ahead of Eppele or Robertson if he comes back. Might be the end of Jeff Keeping in Toronto since Jones can contribute more on ST than Keeping.

Argoholics
02-18-2012, 08:17 AM
I think this is start of an all Canadian line for us, which is something I feel allows for greater ratio flexibility on the defence and potentially in the receiving core, if you don't have top tiered Canucks for one or two receiver spots. We don't have that high end Canadian receiver, at this point.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I think this is start of an all Canadian line for us, which is something I feel allows for greater ratio flexibility on the defence and potentially in the receiving core, if you don't have top tiered Canucks for one or two receiver spots. We don't have that high end Canadian receiver, at this point.

You won't find a better Canadian receiver than Durie. If you'd rather call him a slotback or a running back that's fine - - bottom line is Durie catches the ball and other than maybe Fantuz I can't think of a NI pass catcher I'd rather have.

AngeloV
02-18-2012, 11:35 AM

I wouldn't be too sure about that. It's difficult to get great depth (if injuries should happen) with an all Canadian o-line. I would expect an import (likely Coughman) at left tackle still. The key is to have a starting quality lineman or two as back-ups. Not an easy task if you go strictly non import.

paulwoods13
02-18-2012, 12:49 PM
You won't find a better Canadian receiver than Durie. If you'd rather call him a slotback or a running back that's fine - - bottom line is Durie catches the ball and other than maybe Fantuz I can't think of a NI pass catcher I'd rather have.

I agree completely -- Durie is definitely "high end."

OV Argo
02-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Argos hoping Jones can turn out like Van Zeyl? - former Mac D-lineman who made the transition to O-line in the CFL and ends up a starter; Jones at least has some CFL roster experience with BC but i don't think he saw much playing time at all for them on offence; hopefully he can compete well in TC; BC fans think he will be an Argo starter? - not sure what they base this on - seems a stretch that he would beat out some others the Argos already have on the interior O-line (like Gagne-Marcoux, St-Pierre, Eppelle) but maybe.

O-line should be another area of real, tough TC competition for playing time in Argo TC; i really hope Tyler Holmes shows up in Argoland for TC; there is also the possibility that the Argos could use their first draft pick (#9 overall i think?) on an O-Lineman from what seems like a good crop there this coming draft; or even a later round pick on one; like to see them get a proven, accomplished player at a specific O-Line spot they might target, rather than hoping some "projects" - like Jones or Eppelle or Reinders will be good as OGs; Western's huge, all-star OG Matt Norman, or Mac's all-star OG Medeiros will probably still be available at # 9 or maybe even in the later rounds where the Argos still hold some picks (Heenan and Pastzor - 2 top rated OGs for this draft will probably either draw some NFL interest or else be early first round CFL picks ?).

And as far as Durie - i think he's been excellent for the Argo O, and hopefully gets even more opportunity in the future; made the transition from star CIS tailback to receiver in the CFL very nicely; his RB skills are evident when he gets the ball, but is showing nice hands too; but to suggest he is 2nd only to Fantuz as a CFL NI receiver is a rather questionable, myopic, perhaps homer type comment IMO - but maybe some observers here watch mostly just the Argos and don't pay much attention to other CFL teams - which feature the likes of Watson, Stala, Bagg, Getzlaf, Gore, Foster, Forzani, Arthur in their receiving corps'.

ArgoRavi
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
And as far as Durie - i think he's been excellent for the Argo O, and hopefully gets even more opportunity in the future; made the transition from star CIS tailback to receiver in the CFL very nicely; his RB skills are evident when he gets the ball, but is showing nice hands too; but to suggest he is 2nd only to Fantuz as a CFL NI receiver is a rather questionable, myopic, perhaps homer type comment IMO - but maybe some observers here watch mostly just the Argos and don't pay much attention to other CFL teams - which feature the likes of Watson, Stala, Bagg, Getzlaf, Gore, Foster, Forzani, Arthur in their receiving corps'.

If I had a choice between Durie and any of those receivers besides Fantuz, I would take Durie. I think that he can be a better playmaker than any of those guys with an all-star QB and smart offence. Maybe I am just being a homer - btw, I have no problem with any of those fine receivers - but I like the skillset which Durie brings and I believe that he has the potential to be a more productive player than any of those other guys.

1argoholic
02-18-2012, 04:06 PM
With Ray at the helm I think Durie will have a GREAT year. Firstly one would hope that we have more long drives rather that the crap we've been seeing for the last few years.

I'd like to see us grab Charbonneau-Campeau from Sherbrooke with our ninth pick if he's still available. He reminds me of a young Fantuz. Good luck fitting the name on the jersey though. haha.

There were rumours that Claremont had signed with us yesterday but those were wrong.

Will
02-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I also like the skill set that Durie brings and the dual threat that he can present as both a running back and receiver, however I don't think I'd lump him in as an elite NI receiver just yet. He's certainly made the best out of an uncertain situation at QB. With stability returning to the QB position he is now in the best position to show just how good of a receiver he can be. Remember that Durie missed some games last season and I worked out that his pace (if he stayed healthy) was something closer to 800 or 900 yards. I think that with Ray at QB he can take that next step and go over 1,000-yards. That's when we can start having discussions as to where he ranks amongst NI receivers.

There were rumours that Claremont had signed with us yesterday but those were wrong.

I'm not sure what Clermont could add at this point besides some veteran depth.

paulwoods13
02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
I also like the skill set that Durie brings and the dual threat that he can present as both a running back and receiver, however I don't think I'd lump him in as an elite NI receiver just yet. He's certainly made the best out of an uncertain situation at QB. With stability returning to the QB position he is now in the best position to show just how good of a receiver he can be. Remember that Durie missed some games last season and I worked out that his pace (if he stayed healthy) was something closer to 800 or 900 yards. I think that with Ray at QB he can take that next step and go over 1,000-yards. That's when we can start having discussions as to where he ranks amongst NI receivers.

1,000 yards is only 11 yards per game more than 800 yards over a season. Only two NI receivers topped 800 yards last season -- Getzlaf and Gore. Durie was fifth among NI receivers despite his injury problems and a terrible offensive system with no one who could play QB. So I think we can start having those discussions right now, actually.

KCargosfan
02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
1,000 yards is only 11 yards per game more than 800 yards over a season. Only two NI receivers topped 800 yards last season -- Getzlaf and Gore. Durie was fifth among NI receivers despite his injury problems and a terrible offensive system with no one who could play QB. So I think we can start having those discussions right now, actually.

I'll start a new thread

Padre29
02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Adding Barnes helps, and keep in mind Ricky Ray will make Wr's better with his higher level of play.

I like the Jones signing, think we still could use some more NI OL depth, and am concerned a bit about the secondary they will have to find some answers in tryout camps and training camp.

gilthethrill
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Adding Barnes helps, and keep in mind Ricky Ray will make Wr's better with his higher level of play.

I like the Jones signing, think we still could use some more NI OL depth, and am concerned a bit about the secondary they will have to find some answers in tryout camps and training camp.

I am confident the secondary may already have replacements on the roster. Last year, Mike Hogan reported that cb Armando Murillo looked good in camp & now he has a year under his belt. I see him replacing Byron Parker.

Nick Clement looked like he may go into the hb spot left vacant by the departed Lin-J Shell. He looked good in brief playing time last season, albeit that was as a lb if I am not mistaken.

Sean Smalls will be pushed for sure, but I would like to see Matt Black get a legit shot at starting at cb.

Area 51
02-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Nick Clement looked like he may go into the hb spot left vacant by the departed Lin-J Shell. He looked good in brief playing time last season, albeit that was as a lb if I am not mistaken.

Sean Smalls will be pushed for sure, but I would like to see Matt Black get a legit shot at starting at cb.

I think you`re right that it`ll be between Murillo and Matt Black at wideside CB. Clement`s a big hitter but maybe a bit undersized for LB so sliding him back to the secondary might make more sense. Either way, there should be a few less missed tackles this year with him in the lineup.

Padre29
02-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I am confident the secondary may already have replacements on the roster. Last year, Mike Hogan reported that cb Armando Murillo looked good in camp & now he has a year under his belt. I see him replacing Byron Parker.

Tough situation though, new guys in the secondary generally means lots of mistake and big plays surrendered until they learn what the game is all about, I wouldn't mind seeing fmr Lions David Hyland having a shot with us, he can play S or Cb.

gilthethrill
02-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Tough situation though, new guys in the secondary generally means lots of mistake and big plays surrendered until they learn what the game is all about, I wouldn't mind seeing fmr Lions David Hyland having a shot with us, he can play S or Cb.

True, but look at when JY26 came to the CFL in 2004. Never heard of him but yet he started cb on Grey Cup team. Same as Byron Parker. Hardly played ball in college but yet he was impactful right from the start.

As for Hyland, but if he was released from a Hamilton squad that had the worst secondary in the league last season (still does...signing Fantuz does not fix that OB), why do you think he could help out the Double Blue?

Padre29
02-20-2012, 09:06 PM
True, but look at when JY26 came to the CFL in 2004. Never heard of him but yet he started cb on Grey Cup team. Same as Byron Parker. Hardly played ball in college but yet he was impactful right from the start.

As for Hyland, but if he was released from a Hamilton squad that had the worst secondary in the league last season (still does...signing Fantuz does not fix that OB), why do you think he could help out the Double Blue?

Because sometimes, guys are cut before they really mesh with their new teams, and before they really learn the CFL game.

What Hyland offers is big plays and lots of athleticism

Area 51
02-20-2012, 09:14 PM
What Hyland offers is big plays and lots of athleticism

He's also one of the hardest hitting DBs I've seen in a while. Biggest problem was that he'd try to lay the wood instead of just making a sure tackle and end up completely missing it.

1argoholic
02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Why is there zero about this Jones signing on the Argos site?

ArgoRavi
02-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Why is there zero about this Jones signing on the Argos site?

Still waiting on the Jarious Jackson signing as well.

Will
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Still waiting on the Jarious Jackson signing as well.

The Jackson signing has been made official, but not Andrew Jones.

1argoholic
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Once again still zero new about Jones. We did sign a receiver from Navy.

So did we or didn't we sign Andrew Jones?

Skinny G
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
So did we or didn't we sign Andrew Jones?

Guess we haven't yet... he's still up on the BC roster - http://www.bclions.com/roster/show/id/1024

1argoholic
03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Finally! It's now official another local guy to play for us in Andrew Jones. That took a while to become official.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8