PDA

View Full Version : Argo talk with cohon on pt sports

matthew
07-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Can someone please post link to interview that just concluded on pt sports.

Will
07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Can you not find it yourself?

Neely2005
07-02-2014, 07:11 PM
It probably won't be up until tomorrow.

paulwoods13
07-02-2014, 07:40 PM
See if this works: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan590primetimesports/~5/HyKvxdfPmsY/pt_20140702_185837--Prime-Time-Sports---July-2---6pm.mp3

Argo57
07-02-2014, 07:49 PM
See if this works: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan590primetimesports/~5/HyKvxdfPmsY/pt_20140702_185837--Prime-Time-Sports---July-2---6pm.mp3

Thanks Paul
Works well!!

Sobering discussion with McCown and Cohon, if the Argonaut season ticket number of 3500 suggested by McCown (and not disputed by Cohan) is anywhere close to being true we all have reason to be concerned.

rdavies
07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Listened to Commish Cohon on PTS today and the story isn't over yet.

According to McCown the MLSE board turned down the deal because the Argos were asking too much but Leiweke wants the deal and also wants the Argos as a tenant.

The next step for the Argos and the league is to somehow broker that money either from government or a sponsor and get the Argos into there as a tenant even if they are not owned by MLSE.

Cohon wants to turn the people who are watching on TV into stadium going fans and wants to change the experience for younger fans. He also got in a good shot at how Argo TV ratings beat the Raptors and TFC.

argotom
07-02-2014, 08:35 PM
This is all part of the negotiations tactics, going back and forth and somewhere there will a compromise of the dollars involved.

AngeloV
07-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Sobering discussion with McCown and Cohon, if the Argonaut season ticket number of 3500 suggested by McCown (and not disputed by Cohan) is anywhere close to being true we all have reason to be concerned.

If in fact true, that is scary. I can honestly say, that going to Argos games wasn't so important to me, I may not have renewed my tickets this year. I paid about $90 per seat more this season compared to last. True, I was late renewing, and thus did not get the rate that was being offered if I renewed in December, but as a long time ST holder I thought they still should have honoured the early bird discount. I was never in jeopardy of not renewing, and by my history, they should have known this. My previous ticket rep (Chris A) always let me take my time renewing, but the new one I guess didn't care.

Invader
07-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Listened to Commish Cohon on PTS today and the story isn't over yet.

According to McCown the MLSE board turned down the deal because the Argos were asking too much but Leiweke wants the deal and also wants the Argos as a tenant.

The next step for the Argos and the league is to somehow broker that money either from government or a sponsor and get the Argos into there as a tenant even if they are not owned by MLSE.

Cohon wants to turn the people who are watching on TV into stadium going fans and wants to change the experience for younger fans. He also got in a good shot at how Argo TV ratings beat the Raptors and TFC.
I guess the original BMO plan revealed this Spring, with the Argos conversion in the 1st phase and taking occupancy next season was Leiweke's plan. He may have had his wings clipped after going out on a limb with the $100 million for those 3 TFC players, with no feasible plan to recoup that expenditure. It was reported Leiweke had to vigorously argue the case with MLSE's Board...who prefer to make money rather than spend it.

Now the Argos have been shunted off to the 3rd phase of BMO's renovation in 2017 and MLSE has declined to purchase the team (with Rogers probably being the dissenter). Only if the Argos or senior government chip in $20 million will MLSE convert the city-owned stadium for CFL games.

What ever happened to Tannenbaum, the invisible man? I guess that was just an inside joke when it was reported he's always loved the Argos and wanted to buy them several times in the past.:D

You can sure hear the crickets chripping in Toronto about the huge Bills auction underway. Will Tannenbaum and golf buddy Bon Jovi even bother submitting a bid?

Argocister
07-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Perhaps the CFL needs to divy up a portion of the TSN contract based on fan viewership in your region .... If that's possible to determine. That way the Argos could be more profitable and attractive to a future owner..... MLSE or not.

ArgoRavi
07-02-2014, 11:39 PM

I just listened to the full interview and it is scary. The positive though is that I firmly believe in Cohon's vision for what could be in Toronto with a move to BMO Field. The bottom line right now is that this franchise is not sustainable at SkyDome and they need to get out of there yesterday. This deal with MLSE has to get done. There are simply no other options.

Ron
07-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Listening to it I see no reason the deal will not get done. Looks like (as we have surmised) that MLSE won't look at buying the team until after they are in BMO. Then the dynamics of the finances change.

I also liked how Cohon said they'd even toss Toronto another Grey Cup to offset the yearly losses Braley will be taking. I also liked how Cohon was honest about the Argos doing Jack crap promoting the team this season.

The one other tidbit about 600K+ watch the Argos play on TV ... and most of them come from Southern Ontario. So he's quantified that they have hundreds of thousands in this region (dwarfing Raptors and TFC) watching (large young people demo) but they haven't got them to come out to games.

So I didn't find it so scary in light of previou events

AngeloV
07-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Listening to it I see no reason the deal will not get done. Looks like (as we have surmised) that MLSE won't look at buying the team until after they are in BMO. Then the dynamics of the finances change.

I also liked how Cohon said they'd even toss Toronto another Grey Cup to offset the yearly losses Braley will be taking. I also liked how Cohon was honest about the Argos doing Jack crap promoting the team this season.

The one other tidbit about 600K+ watch the Argos play on TV ... and most of them come from Southern Ontario. So he's quantified that they have hundreds of thousands in this region (dwarfing Raptors and TFC) watching (large young people demo) but they haven't got them to come out to games.

Thanks Ron. Needed to have an optimistic look at the situation.

matthew
07-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Well 87 currently I am travelling for work and teaching during the day giving me no spare time to surf and looking for this stuff on a phone is time consuming and tedius and since I have argofans.com on the home page of my phone as every argo fan should.....if someone can post it here I can easily click on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks for asking and your concern for my web surfing skills is appreciated.

Will
07-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Cohon not denying the 3,500 number is pretty scary, although it is still legitimate to ask who is feeding McCown that number.

At least Cohon does seem unhappy with the lack of promotion that the Argonauts have been doing.

matthew
07-03-2014, 09:03 AM
An initial thought on the "MLSE a dead deal" talk. I know its McCowan but was it really necessary to preface the discussion with "if you don't care about the CFL, then don't listen". I mean I don't give a rats a$% about basketball but I would never say don't listen just because I don't like it if I were a host of a show. What an oaf!

Perfect Paul thanks very much for doing that!

Will
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
An initial thought on the "MLSE a dead deal" talk. I know its McCowan but was it really necessary to preface the discussion with "if you don't care about the CFL, then don't listen". I mean I don't give a rats a$% about basketball but I would never say don't listen just because I don't like it if I were a host of a show. What an oaf!

I'll spin it another way, it seems that some CFL haters really feel the need to be vocal about their dislike. McCown maybe simply speaking to those people.

BTW, I'm looking for any reason for optimism here, is it perhaps that Cohon knows the 3500 # that McCown is pushing is ridiculous and thus he felt it did not merit a response?

gilthethrill
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
I just happened to come across the interview driving home from work. I really don't know how to read McCown now compared from his earlier days, but yesterday he came across sincere and sympathetic to the Argos situation. 3,500 season tickets sold....reminds me of the Montreal Concordes that folded in 1987.

matthew
07-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I'll spin it another way, it seems that some CFL haters really feel the need to be vocal about their dislike. McCown maybe simply speaking to those people.

BTW, I'm looking for any reason for optimism here, is it perhaps that Cohon knows the 3500 # that McCown is pushing is ridiculous and thus he felt it did not merit a response?

Ok I can see that point of view!!

Argocister
07-03-2014, 09:39 AM
McCown's interview had the negative slant all the way through. I'm glad we have Cohon as he could accept facts but put the positive spin on it where he could.
Typically Ontario attitude.... the stuff in my back yard is crap, the grass is always greener elsewhere. .... and I am from Ont. so I can say that.
The interview had a past influence, and "lets focus on all the bad stuff the Argos have gone through ".... rather than focussing on what is the direction for the future. This last part Cohon tried to bring to the forefront.
M. and partner (don't know his name and dont care to ) tried to expand on the negatives with the CBA discussions, but it was great as Cohon wouldnt' let them. I also like how Cohon talked about keeping the players up to date with the business of the CFL on a regular basis.

The positives I got from this interview....
There are alot of closet Argos fans
We get more viewing on TV than the TFC and the Raptors
the CFL realizies the importance of the ARgos and their market.
The CFL is putting their fingers in the so called ARgo pot and helping direct them
A few more Grey Cups for us? .... not only the city but the TEam?
Cohon is with the CFL for a few more years..... hopefully seeing the Argonaut ascension to domination! ( okay maybe that last bit was exagerrated ) :)

matthew
07-03-2014, 09:47 AM
McCown's interview had the negative slant all the way through. I'm glad we have Cohon as he could accept facts but put the positive spin on it where he could.
Typically Ontario attitude.... the stuff in my back yard is crap, the grass is always greener elsewhere. .... and I am from Ont. so I can say that.
The interview had a past influence, and "lets focus on all the bad stuff the Argos have gone through ".... rather than focussing on what is the direction for the future. This last part Cohon tried to bring to the forefront.
M. and partner (don't know his name and dont care to ) tried to expand on the negatives with the CBA discussions, but it was great as Cohon wouldnt' let them. I also like how Cohon talked about keeping the players up to date with the business of the CFL on a regular basis.

The CFL is putting their fingers in the so called ARgo pot and helping direct them
Cohon is with the CFL for a few more years..... hopefully seeing the Argonaut ascension to domination! ( okay maybe that last bit was exagerrated ) :)

Not to mention that during the RONA CFL Pool Days a large number of people listed the Argos as their fav team!!

Will
07-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Nevertheless, the thing that has us here the most concerned is that there was no denial or response to the 3500 # that McCown put forth.

Mulder
07-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Just what we need, for the western teams to hate us for hosting Grey Cups! haha

Can't see where a Grey Cup fits in though in the next 7 years.
Hamilton was promised 2 in 7 years when they got a new stadium. Ottawa one within the first 4 seasons.

I can see the next 2 being hosted in Ontario, Hamilton than Ottawa(2017) Then a western team. Guess Toronto has a chance at hosting 2019 or 2020.

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 10:23 AM

If that doesn't work try this:

Jul

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140702_185837--Prime-Time-Sports---July-2---6pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - July 2 - 6pm
Wednesday, 6 pm: CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon and Bleacher Report's Will Carroll

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 10:28 AM
If that doesn't work try this:

Jul

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140702_185837--Prime-Time-Sports---July-2---6pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - July 2 - 6pm
Wednesday, 6 pm: CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon and Bleacher Report's Will Carroll

There's Video of it too:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cohon-a-good-argos-team-makes-cfl-better/

Radio ads on FAN 590.
Radio ads on AM 640.
Radio ads on TSN 1050.
Radio ads on Q107.
Local TV ads.
Home Opener contest on Global TV Toronto
Home Opener contest on Q107.
Home Opener contest on 94.9 The Rock.

That's doing "Jack crap"? (And BTW that's Not what Cohon said)

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2704-Argos-marketing-sucks

Will
07-03-2014, 10:37 AM
I've only started noticing these ads recently though.

BATKINSON001
07-03-2014, 10:45 AM

So I didn't find it so scary in light of previous events

It was a good interview, Mark also mentioned that the league would have to help the argos with marketing... though not sure if that's immediately or in the coming years.

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Nevertheless, the thing that has us here the most concerned is that there was no denial or response to the 3500 # that McCown put forth.

Yeah that is concerning but maybe he's not allowed to give out the number so he just chose not to respond?

I've only started noticing these ads recently though.

They probably don't see the benefit of advertising when they don't have anything to sell. In the off season all that they can sell is Seasons Tickets. Once the schedule is out they can sell everything and it's probably easier to sell Seasons Tickets too because people know when the games are going to be.

BATKINSON001
07-03-2014, 10:51 AM
There's Video of it too:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cohon-a-good-argos-team-makes-cfl-better/

Radio ads on FAN 590.
Radio ads on AM 640.
Radio ads on TSN 1050.
Radio ads on Q107.
Local TV ads.
Home Opener contest on Global TV Toronto
Home Opener contest on Q107.
Home Opener contest on 94.9 The Rock.

That's doing "Jack crap"? (And BTW that's Not what Cohon said)

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2704-Argos-marketing-sucks

I haven't heard any of those... they need more tv ads though, but since its a rogers market they probably wont show them...

T-Bone
07-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah that is concerning but maybe he's not allowed to give out the number so he just chose not to respond?
Every other team in the league has put those numbers out there (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2716-Season-Ticket-numbers-around-the-league&p=47885&viewfull=1#post47885).

paulwoods13
07-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Clearly whatever the number is, it is low enough that neither the league nor the team wants it public. I still believe it is in the range of the number that went to Varsity. Whether that means 5,000 or 3,500, it is not a number Cohon would like to discuss publicly.

Will
07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
They probably don't see the benefit of advertising when they don't have anything to sell. In the off season all that they can sell is Seasons Tickets. Once the schedule is out they can sell everything and it's probably easier to sell Seasons Tickets too because people know when the games are going to be.

Schedule has been out since March, yet the ads seem like they've only begun recently.

BATKINSON001
07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Schedule has been out since March, yet the ads seem like they've only begun recently.

sounds like whatever marketing dept the argos had was a bit slow to get going...

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 11:11 AM
I haven't heard any of those... they need more tv ads though, but since its a rogers market they probably wont show them...

1. TV ads are expensive and overrated. You can get much better bang for your buck through other mediums.
2. Rogers can't refuse to run ads unless they contain offensive material.
3. Argonauts radio ads are already airing on the FAN 590 which is owned by Rogers.

Every other team in the league has put those numbers out there (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2716-Season-Ticket-numbers-around-the-league&p=47885&viewfull=1#post47885).

Right the Team has. Cohon might not be allowed to release them unless the Team already has or the Team gives him permission to do so.

I've been hearing the radio ads on FAN 590 and AM 640 for about 2 or 3 months now.

paulwoods13
07-03-2014, 11:15 AM

But you can't sell individual tickets to games in July in March -- no one buys that far in advance unless there is a chance of a sellout. You can sell season's tickets, and IIRC the team did have a lot of season ticket ads back then and even before the schedule came out.

Will
07-03-2014, 11:16 AM

But you can't sell individual tickets to games in July in March -- no one buys that far in advance unless there is a chance of a sellout. You can sell season's tickets, and IIRC the team did have a lot of season ticket ads back then and even before the schedule came out.

Then I stand corrected about ads being present in the winter.

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Clearly whatever the number is, it is low enough that neither the league nor the team wants it public. I still believe it is in the range of the number that went to Varsity. Whether that means 5,000 or 3,500, it is not a number Cohon would like to discuss publicly.

Unfortunately this is probably the most likely scenario. On the flip side that must mean that the Argonauts get one heck of a big walk up crowd.

BATKINSON001
07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
1. TV ads are expensive and overrated. You can get much better bang for your buck through other mediums.
2. Rogers can't refuse to run ads unless they contain offensive material.

Rogers can and has put their own commercials on the air in place of other commercials, usually on american channels but still...

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Rogers can and has put their own commercials on the air in place of other commercials, usually on american channels but still...

That's a totally different issue. That happens when a Canadian Channel (any Canadian Channel not just Rogers) is carrying an American Feed or an American Program. They will substitute Canadian Commercials that are paid for by Canadian companies. Why would they show the US Commercials for free? The US advertisers aren't paying them. The Canadian Channels will show the commercials that they are paid to show.

argotom
07-03-2014, 12:07 PM

McCown is the hater, the lead cheerleader at Sportsnet.
3500 is a lie.

Will
07-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Do you have any proof it's a lie?

Argocister
07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
McCown is the hater, the lead cheerleader at Sportsnet.
3500 is a lie.

[ \/} <- Like Button

ArgoRavi
07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Cohon said in this interview that 6 out of 9 teams will make money this year. Obviously, the Argos aren't expected to be profitable but who would the other two teams be - Hamilton and Ottawa? If so, I am guessing that those teams will be in the black within another year or two.

AngeloV
07-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Cohon said in this interview that 6 out of 9 teams will make money this year. Obviously, the Argos aren't expected to be profitable but who would the other two teams be - Hamilton and Ottawa? If so, I am guessing that those teams will be in the black within another year or two.

I would guess that Montreal would be more likely to lose money than Ottawa this year, unless you count upstart costs into the bottom line.

Ballstothewall
07-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Just before this interview, McCown co host said. While the Argos have been pushed back to phase 3 of the BMO expansion for football. McCown commented, wait for another announcement from MLSE, that after they put there 80 Million in, they will announce, that they are keeping it a soccer only stadium. According to McCown, by MLSE not owning the team, they have no interest in converting it to football, and that is also my fear. The city can cry they want it for Football, but they have basically given the keys to BMO, to MLSE

argotom
07-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Do you have any proof it's a lie?

Since when do you believe the big mouth McCown, what's his source?
I spoke to my rep several weeks back and he said the numbers expect o be the same as last year, around 10,000 at season beginning.

Mulder
07-04-2014, 07:15 AM
I spoke to my rep several weeks back and he said the numbers expect o be the same as last year, around 10,000 at season beginning.

Your ticket rep is BSing you. The actual number of season tickets is slightly higher than what bob McCown is saying. By slightly I mean if you add 500 it would be too much. That was just the renewal number from last year, and not new season tickets

Argo57
07-04-2014, 08:17 AM
I would guess that Montreal would be more likely to lose money than Ottawa this year, unless you count upstart costs into the bottom line.

Montreal will be the next crisis point if they start to slide (performance wise).
Montreal fans won't support a losing product.

This time I do believe McCown, I found him to be very fair and balanced during his interview with Cohon.

Argocister
07-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Your ticket rep is BSing you. The actual number of season tickets is slightly higher than what bob McCown is saying. By slightly I mean if you add 500 it would be too much. That was just the renewal number from last year, and not new season tickets

And you know better from your source? ...... Not saying Argotom's statement is gospel but .....

This time I do believe McCown, I found him to be very fair and balanced during his interview with Cohon.

I found him to question in a negative tone and negative perspective. .....but that's just my opinion.

Mulder
07-04-2014, 09:35 AM
And you know better from your source? ...... Not saying Argotom's statement is gospel but .....

There is a difference between a ticket rep telling ArgoTom that they "hope to have 10,000"
Then another account rep telling me renewals are at 80%, which puts them around 4,000. (not including new sales)

Ggoto any October game on the seating map. The stadium in this configuration holds approximately 32,000.
With the top 2-3 rows in the 200 level not being sold, that reduces by about 2,500 (yes i counted) lower south side not being sold- another 1500.

Does this look like a stadium that's at 35-40% capacity?

http://www.argofans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=470&d=1404480901

argotom
07-04-2014, 11:29 AM

I found him to question in a negative tone and negative perspective. .....but that's just my opinion.

Absolutely I heard the interview on line and add condescending to the list of McCown's tone.
He would never do that while interviewing a Rogers owned property, or a basketball or hockey puck persons.
So if others here believe this idiot, that's their prerogative.

argolio
07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
He would never do that while interviewing a Rogers owned property, or a basketball or hockey puck persons.Would, and has. He couldn't hide his disdain for Jays GM J.P. What's-His-Name, one of the Raptor GMs, and has had on-and-off feuds with a number of hockey pucks.

ArgoRavi
07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
There are about four different threads that I could put this post in but I will do it here. Does anyone know whatever became of the idea to replicate what the B.C. Lions did with their "Waterboys" in Toronto? I seem to recall that the Argos had started something along these lines back in 2011 but have not heard a thing since. Furthermore, if such a group does exist, it doesn't seem to be having the same impact that B.C.'s Waterboys have had.

argolio
07-04-2014, 04:22 PM
It's probably dead, Ravi. Seems like Braley's interest in the Argos is to just keep them operating at a basic level while he tries to sell the team.

ArgoGabe22
07-04-2014, 06:06 PM
There are about four different threads that I could put this post in but I will do it here. Does anyone know whatever became of the idea to replicate what the B.C. Lions did with their "Waterboys" in Toronto? I seem to recall that the Argos had started something along these lines back in 2011 but have not heard a thing since. Furthermore, if such a group does exist, it doesn't seem to be having the same impact that B.C.'s Waterboys have had.

I don't remember them ever trying to replicate the waterboys but I do remember a fan advisory board or something similar. I have no idea whatever happened to that and if anyone even signed up to be apart of it.

ArgoRavi
07-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I don't remember them ever trying to replicate the waterboys but I do remember a fan advisory board or something similar. I have no idea whatever happened to that and if anyone even signed up to be apart of it.

The fan advisory board still exists according to this very recent article: http://www.yorkregion.com/sports-story/4591593-longtime-toronto-argos-booster-newmarket-s-don-humeniuk-right-in-huddle-on-fan-board/

Regarding the Argos' version of The Waterboys, Brian Burke, when he was running the Leafs, was part of that and I believe he had been previously involved in Vancouver with the Lions' Waterboys.

Acadicus
07-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Hello,

I'm a huge CFL fan and this is my first time posting in an Argos forum. Why am I here? Because I think that Argos fans should start a Toronto Stadium kickstarter fund. Since the viability of the Argos is important for the entire league, I think that CFL fans around the country would donate. I am a RedBlacks season ticket holder and I would give 100$ to a new Toronto stadium kickstarter campaign. It wouldn't be as fun to be a RedBlacks fan if Toronto wasn't around to beat up ;). Still think it is a pipe dream? The Reading Rainbow revival campaign got 2 million dollars in one day, a ridiculous board game called Zombicide is already at half a million dollars in one week. A brand new CFL stadium would cost roughly 100 million. I think this can be done. You would have a wide range of people donating including: CFL fans, Toronto citizens who care about the city's heritage, random Canadians who want to support Canadiana, etc.

What do you guys think?

Neely2005
07-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Hello,

I'm a huge CFL fan and this is my first time posting in an Argos forum. Why am I here? Because I think that Argos fans should start a Toronto Stadium kickstarter fund. Since the viability of the Argos is important for the entire league, I think that CFL fans around the country would donate. I am a RedBlacks season ticket holder and I would give 100$ to a new Toronto stadium kickstarter campaign. It wouldn't be as fun to be a RedBlacks fan if Toronto wasn't around to beat up ;). Still think it is a pipe dream? The Reading Rainbow revival campaign got 2 million dollars in one day, a ridiculous board game called Zombicide is already at half a million dollars in one week. A brand new CFL stadium would cost roughly 100 million. I think this can be done. You would have a wide range of people donating including: CFL fans, Toronto citizens who care about the city's heritage, random Canadians who want to support Canadiana, etc.

What do you guys think?

It couldn't hurt, sometimes these things go viral and then they get media attention:

http://mashable.com/2012/06/20/bus-monitor-vacatio/

Acadicus
07-04-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm glad you agree. Okay, who's going to set it up?

T-Bone
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm glad you agree. Okay, who's going to set it up?
It's your idea, so I belive that falls to you. Welcome aboard.

argotom
07-04-2014, 10:19 PM
It's your idea, so I belive that falls to you. Welcome aboard.

I will second that, Acadicus your voted in.
What's the plan when and where is the meeting?

AngeloV
07-05-2014, 12:15 AM
I will second that, Acadicus your voted in.
What's the plan when and where is the meeting?

The plan is we pledge money to this bogus fund, and this person is well on his/her way to retirement.

ArgoZ
07-05-2014, 10:07 AM
The plan is we pledge money to this bogus fund, and this person is well on his/her way to retirement.

LOL, while I doubt that's the plan here, many of these ventures end up being that way. Human greed and corruption are too prevalent. I already give the private entity my money in return for watching football. Unless one becomes a shareholder in this idea, it is not a wise use of money. As a public service announcement, make sure you research any charity before you donate, you will be surprised how much of each dollar actually makes it to that cause.

paulwoods13
07-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Acccording to Kickstarter.com, the biggest project ever raised just over $10M. A new stadium needs about $200M. Oh well.

argotom
07-05-2014, 11:57 AM
LOL, while I doubt that's the plan here, many of these ventures end up being that way. Human greed and corruption are too prevalent. I already give the private entity my money in return for watching football. Unless one becomes a shareholder in this idea, it is not a wise use of money. As a public service announcement, make sure you research any charity before you donate, you will be surprised how much of each dollar actually makes it to that cause.

Wait a minute, that's another definition of a politician.
No longer applying to lawyers only, the perfect oxymoron for an "honest politician".

AngeloV
07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
As a public service announcement, make sure you research any charity before you donate, you will be surprised how much of each dollar actually makes it to that cause.

You got that right. It's usually under 25%, yet the chairman of the board often takes home massive annual salary and bonus. I used to give to the United way at work every year until I found out that they were one of the lowest in terms of percentage of how much raised money actually goes to the cause they are raising it for.

Wobbler
07-05-2014, 02:14 PM
You got that right. It's usually under 25%, yet the chairman of the board often takes home massive annual salary and bonus. I used to give to the United way at work every year until I found out that they were one of the lowest in terms of percentage of how much raised money actually goes to the cause they are raising it for.
I think your number is a little off, Angelo. A good site for researching this stuff is Charity Intelligence (http://www.charityintelligence.ca/). United Way Toronto, for example, gives away >75% of its revenue in grants.

Anyway, this is pretty off-topic. If anyone wants to discuss this further I'll branch this into the Sociable forum.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8