PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts Marketing

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 01:45 PM
It seems that the majority of the Posters on this Forum are unhappy with the Argonauts marketing.

I'm creating this Thread for 2 reasons:

1. To get a list of the Marketing that the Argonauts are doing.

2. To get a list of what you think that they should be doing.

So instead of just complaining let's hear your ideas.

Here's what I've heard from the Argonauts this year:

Radio ads on FAN 590.
Radio ads on AM 640.
Radio ads on TSN 1050.
Radio ads on Q107.
Local TV ads.
Home Opener contest on Global TV Toronto
Home Opener contest on Q107.
Home Opener contest on 94.9 The Rock.
Twitter postings.
Facebook postings.
Instagram postings.
Email blasts.

T-Bone
07-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Looks like they will be giving out magnet schedules after the game on Saturday (http://argonauts.ca/article/argonauts-host-riders-on-saturday-afternoon-in-2014-home-opener).

matthew
07-03-2014, 02:29 PM
How about their own app with the ability for push notifications to keep the team in the face (or in this case home screen) of the phones owner quite often. I don't need the magnet schedule I download the ical which is perfect.

Neely2005
07-03-2014, 02:49 PM
An App would be nice but it needs to be better than the current CFL Apps. The CFL Apps for BlackBerry 10 and the BlackBerry PlayBook aren't very good at all.

Argocister
07-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Should have been posted here.....

..........Someone has to get out there and be energetic and visible and preach the gospel. They need someone to slay dragons and put out fires ..........
They need some crazy advertising group to stage Jason doing exactly that.... putting out fires! (especially at portable training facilities) .... fighting dragons... at dragon boat races, or down by the Aquarium. .... or the tall ship fighting the pirates trying to escape with Argo fans prior to a home game.... Jason can get us there!.....

(sorry, work after a long weekend is way too much of a drag before the home opener.... I should have taken it off)

Deerkeeper
07-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Well there has been an effort up here in Barrie. Local radio stations are having ticket contests, and a local transportation company is offering a ticket and transport package to the home opener. Not sure how they are doing with that, but I sure hope they are having success.

Neely2005
07-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I've been seeing online advertising for this weekends game the past few days.

Neely2005
07-12-2014, 09:44 AM
I've been seeing online advertising for this weekends game the past few days.

Just saw some more Argonauts advertising on www.sportsnet.ca

Argocister
07-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Just saw some more Argonauts advertising on www.sportsnet.ca

Mmmmm..... Must have been a short ad as I didn't see it .... Or maybe not in my area? At least the CFL articles were listed at the bottom of the page.

bluto
07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Looks like they will be giving out magnet schedules after the game on Saturday (http://argonauts.ca/article/argonauts-host-riders-on-saturday-afternoon-in-2014-home-opener).

glad for that. still have the 2010 jersey magnet on my fridge.

Deerkeeper
07-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Saw a really good ad for tonight's game on Global TV on Friday.

DanTheFan
07-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Got one on my fridge, and another one I brought to work to spread the love.

Neely2005
07-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Should probably also point out that they give out free full colour Programs / Posters at every home game.

1argoholic
07-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Braley has his fat ass sitting tightly on his wallet on the Toronto side of his pants. Thus no marketing at least in Toronto but I'd bet BC is marketed to the teeth.

ArgoGabe22
07-13-2014, 08:11 PM
I'll share a few things from my subway trip.

1) On the way there a young man asked if the Argos were playing tonight? He is aware of the win over the Riders but just didn't know that they played two home games in a row. Told me he would try to make it down to the Dome.

2) After the game someone asked how did they do? After I told him he mentioned how they are winless. Clearly not aware of their win over the Riders.

Are they not paying attention or is it really down to marketing?

AngeloV
07-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Braley has his fat ass sitting tightly on his wallet on the Toronto side of his pants. Thus no marketing at least in Toronto but I'd bet BC is marketed to the teeth.

I used to love the way Jim Hunt used to always refer to him as the millionaire with the 5 cent hair cut.

argolio
07-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Should probably also point out that they give out free full colour Programs / Posters at every home game.Okay, but that doesn't really do much to attract new people to the game.

paulwoods13
07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
2) After the game someone asked how did they do? After I told him he mentioned how they are winless. Clearly not aware of their win over the Riders.

Are they not paying attention or is it really down to marketing?

I think it's down to the fact that people -- especially young people -- are not consuming news through any of the traditional vehicles. I would hazard a guess that the person you spoke to does not read the paper, watch TV news or listen to news on the radio, but instead gets his/her "news" through some sort of online vehicle that is tailored only to his/her direct interests. Not a good way to become knowledgeable about the world as a whole.

Neely2005
07-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Okay, but that doesn't really do much to attract new people to the game.

No but as per my OP I was trying to compile a list of all the Marketing that the Argonauts have done this year. Many of the things in my OP should be attracting new people.

Will
07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
FWIW, the Argos VP of Marketing Beth Waldman was let go today.

AngeloV
07-24-2014, 05:23 PM
FWIW, the Argos VP of Marketing Beth Waldman was let go today.

I always thought she was in charge of media relations.

Will
07-24-2014, 05:24 PM
I believe her title covered both marketing and media relations.

AngeloV
07-24-2014, 05:25 PM
I believe her title covered both marketing and media relations.

Typical...cover 2 jobs with 1 body. Too bad for her. She's been with the team for some time.

ArgoRavi
07-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Typical...cover 2 jobs with 1 body. Too bad for her. She's been with the team for some time.

She was media relations first and then was promoted to VP Marketing and Communications not that long ago. She has been with the team since Cynamon and Sokolowski took over in '04 IIRC. I think that there are some really good people working for that organization - and she was one of them - but they haven't been getting much support from the current owner.

ArgoGabe22
07-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Cost cutting move. No need for a VP in marketing when you're spending peanuts. Cuthbert said that the team has a lot of problems and Beth Waldman isn't one of them. You never know what goes on behind the scenes. If I was watching the team self destruct before my eyes as an employee I sure wouldn't be happy with how Braley is handling the team.

I think you're right Ravi. Responses on twitter seems that she came in when the team was recovering from bankruptcy back in 2003, meaning before the 2004 season?

Argocister
07-24-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't understand.... There are complaints about the marketing .... They let go their marketing VP ... And you're calling it a cost cutting move? Could it not be the Argos needed more than what this person could produce? Would it be because after discussions with Cohon, the CfL will take over?
I don't like when people lose their job, but as a member I await what changes happen as it was marketing that many were complaining about.

Qman
07-24-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't understand.... There are complaints about the marketing .... They let go their marketing VP ... And you're calling it a cost cutting move? Could it not be the Argos needed more than what this person could produce? Would it be because after discussions with Cohon, the CfL will take over?
I don't like when people lose their job, but as a member I await what changes happen as it was marketing that many were complaining about.

Agree 100%.

ArgoRavi
07-24-2014, 11:54 PM

Have they given the marketing person the resources that she needs to do her job properly? Given Braley's history, I am guessing that they haven't but that is only a guess. Your theory about the CFL taking over marketing of the team is one that could very well be true but it raises a lot more questions about Braley's ownership of the team as he is the one who should be footing those bills.

Argocister
07-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Have they given the marketing person the resources that she needs to do her job properly? ........

When a new boss enters, you are either let go right away or you are given a time to make things work with what you have. Whether Braley gives more money or not, it's been a couple years since Rudge has taken over.... I think he feels ... Or Cohon feels a change is needed. Let's see what happens. I'm not ready to call out anyone ..... Yet..... I think it's a business decision which many on this forum have recognized for awhile.
Maybe she was a media person, but was given the chance to take the new position that was required .... Job positions change all the time.... Someone ( Braley, Rudge , Cfl)wanted more out of the position

paulwoods13
07-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Beth was a professional who was clearly working without a proper budget or support. I would not be surprised if others in the back office, including senior people, follow her out the door. I sure hope (and expect) that Cohon is working feverishly behind the scenes to clean up this mess once and for all.

Mulder
07-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Beth was a professional who was clearly working without a proper budget or support. I would not be surprised if others in the back office, including senior people, follow her out the door. I sure hope (and expect) that Cohon is working feverishly behind the scenes to clean up this mess once and for all.

MLSE doesn't need a director of media relations & VP of marketing. Her title was clearly going to be gone once MLSE bought the team.

T-Bone
07-25-2014, 08:22 AM
MLSE doesn't need a director of media relations & VP of marketing. Her title was clearly going to be gone once MLSE bought the team.
Shannon Hosford (http://www.mlse.com/inside_mlse/shannon_hosford_bio.aspx)

paulwoods13
07-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Clearly if/when MLSE takes over, there won't be a need for many current Argo execs, maybe all of them except those on the football side. But much as I would like to see Beth's departure as a harbinger of an impending sale to MLSE, I think it would be erroneous to read it as such.

T-Bone
07-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Clearly if/when MLSE takes over, there won't be a need for many current Argo execs, maybe all of them except those on the football side. But much as I would like to see Beth's departure as a harbinger of an impending sale to MLSE, I think it would be erroneous to read it as such.
I agree, it's still to early for personnel changes in regards to an MLSE purchase of the team.

1argoholic
07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Seems to be way too much smoke going on here for there not to be a fire. Could something be happening right beneath everyone's noses. Braley has been way to quiet and now we're hearing about major Argo news two days in a row. Hope things get settled soon if indeed we're headed down the path to MLSE ownership.

I really do hate how so many own so much. I'll always support the smaller independents when push comes to shove but if MLSE buys the team I'll still back my Double Blue.

ArgoRavi
07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Seems to be way too much smoke going on here for there not to be a fire. Could something be happening right beneath everyone's noses. Braley has been way to quiet and now we're hearing about major Argo news two days in a row. Hope things get settled soon if indeed we're headed down the path to MLSE ownership.

I really do hate how so many own so much. I'll always support the smaller independents when push comes to shove but if MLSE buys the team I'll still back my Double Blue.

The problem in Toronto is how does a "small independent" in the pro sports market compete with the big boys? The Argos have been lone wolves and it hasn't worked for them. That is why I feel that they must go under the MLSE umbrella to survive and thrive in Toronto. I just can't see how they can do so otherwise.

Argocister
10-03-2014, 08:45 AM
So I don't know if many others have noticed, there have been many Argos players on a variety of radio stations across the GTA. I have only noticed this on the twitter account of the Argos as they announce the players "soon to be on ..... ".
I am not familiar with the stations as I'm out of town (KW area) and many I do not get.
On initial look, looks like many stations are focused on the teens to thirties group ..... good idea.

T-Bone
10-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I noticed a small ad next to the time on the subway platform screens in all the stations. As far as I know it has been up there consistently since sometime last week.

AngeloV
10-03-2014, 12:46 PM
So I don't know if many others have noticed, there have been many Argos players on a variety of radio stations across the GTA. I have only noticed this on the twitter account of the Argos as they announce the players "soon to be on ..... ".
I am not familiar with the stations as I'm out of town (KW area) and many I do not get.
On initial look, looks like many stations are focused on the teens to thirties group ..... good idea.

I think you'll be seeing that more over the next month. The players usually go on stations to help promote upcoming games. When you think about it, the Argos have really only been home twice this year for games despite playing 4 home games (2 games in 7 days in July and 2 games in 5 days in August).

Downtownfan
10-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I was somewhat startled this week to see a giant Argos ad on the side of a streetcar on Roncy. Was the image of RR with the remaining home dates. That is the most marketing I have seen since those ads on the subway a couple of years ago. I think the Argos got so screwed on the schedule this year that no matter the marketing, it was going to be a tough year.

Neely2005
10-03-2014, 10:53 PM
I was somewhat startled this week to see a giant Argos ad on the side of a streetcar on Roncy. Was the image of RR with the remaining home dates. That is the most marketing I have seen since those ads on the subway a couple of years ago. I think the Argos got so screwed on the schedule this year that no matter the marketing, it was going to be a tough year.

Maybe they decided to save most of their marketing budget until they actually had some home games?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8