PDA

View Full Version : The New NCAA Signings

Area 51
02-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Scouting reports on the FAs Toronto has signed from the NCAA/NFL. Keep in mind that these are scouting reports - - they are not my evaluations, I have not seen any of these three play.

Marcus Bell DB:
Has good size. Is a little stiff and doesn't show a lot of speed. Times ok but doesn't play to that timed speed. Inconsistent tackler and takes poor angles against the run and pass. Contributes on special teams. Decent college player who might lack the ability needed for the next level.

Dontrelle Inman WR:
Has good size. Has good speed and athletic ability. Is able to get some separation. At times he was the go to guy. Shows good body control and will make some difficult catches. Catches the ball well and will compete for it. Could use more strength. Can get bounced or pushed off his route too easily. Doesn't get a lot after the catch. Doesn't always do a good job of holding onto the ball. Weird plays seem to follow him. Is a little under the radar. Has good raw abilities but will need some time to get stronger and improve the intricacies of the position.

Andy Strickland WR:
This is a classic low-risk, high-upside pick. Strickland looked good against backups when the Falcons played the Jaguars, a mix of speed, instincts and reasonable size that might have put him on a few teams' radars if he hadn't played for Wofford. I'm not even sure what that is. That said, Strickland is from a small school and was playing against third-stringers, so it's not like he's ready to jump in and contribute. The Falcons saw something there that made them think he might be an intriguing prospect. I still don't quite understand how he's a better bet than Ryan Wolfe or Troy Bergeron, since both of those guys would seem more capable of helping out this year, but there you go.

1argoholic
02-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Thens there's wr Jarmon Fortson who looks to have all the size and talent if his heads ok. He got kicked out of Florida St for drugs then went to Northern Alabama (never heard of it) where he got sat for playoffs one year. He had missed classes. If his head is out of his arse he could be a very good one. He's a great blocker. There's a vid of him knocking a Wake Forest guy out after he picked the ball off.

argolio
02-18-2012, 01:50 AM
then went to Northern Alabama (never heard of it)I'm thinking it's in northern Alabama.

Division 2 school, so most people haven't heard of it.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure about Fortson. Comes with a lot of baggage.

Jarmon Fortson, a starting receiver for the Florida State Seminoles has been dismissed from the program, multiple sources told TomahawkNation this morning. Jimbo Fisher also confirmed the story. Sources indicated that Fortson failed a drug test and that failed test, combined with multiple attitude and behavioral problems throughout his two years in Tallahassee, led to the dismissal. This was not the result of a single failed drug test. Credit to Chuck Oliver for first tweeting this one. There are some around the program who feel a sense of relief with the move. They think Fortson was a ticking time bomb and that he would have eventually made some bad headlines of a different sort.Fortson caught 45 balls for 610 yards last season. The talented but troubled receiver sometimes made spectacular catches but also lacked discipline and was not dependable, often dropping balls and running the wrong routes.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 02:00 AM
More on Marcus Ball...

"Possesses a solid frame and good overall size for the position. However, lacks ideal instincts in both areas of the game. Has a tendency to get overanxious in the deep half, jumps routes prematurely and will take himself out of position in the deep half. Bites on the majority of play fakes in a big way and allowed a number of big plays to happen behind him because of it.

Possesses good enough speed once he gets it going, but doesn't seem to have a great initial burst. Also, doesn't take real consistent angles in the run game when asked to close on the football. Sees his angles outpaced easily and isn't the most consistent of wrap-up guys in space. Fails to consistently break down on contact as well, isn't real efficient in a phone booth either and grades out poorly as a tackler.

Isn't the most natural of benders when asked to sit into his stance. Seems to get bent over the waist, plays a bit upright and isn't real fluid when asked to open up his hips to run down the field. Doesn't have a great initial burst out of his stance and possesses only average top-end speed once he gets going.

Impression: Is a former Florida State transfer who has become a solid college safety. However, doesn't tackle real well and lack the instincts to consistently give himself a chance to make plays in the pass game at the next level."

argolio
02-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Sorry, but this made me laugh.
http://postgygaxian.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpgFACT: Captain America copied my outfit!

argolio
02-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure about Fortson. Comes with a lot of baggage.

Jarmon Fortson, a starting receiver for the Florida State Seminoles has been dismissed from the program, multiple sources told TomahawkNation this morning. Jimbo Fisher also confirmed the story. Sources indicated that Fortson failed a drug test and that failed test, combined with multiple attitude and behavioral problems throughout his two years in Tallahassee, led to the dismissal. This was not the result of a single failed drug test. Credit to Chuck Oliver for first tweeting this one. There are some around the program who feel a sense of relief with the move. They think Fortson was a ticking time bomb and that he would have eventually made some bad headlines of a different sort.Fortson caught 45 balls for 610 yards last season. The talented but troubled receiver sometimes made spectacular catches but also lacked discipline and was not dependable, often dropping balls and running the wrong routes.I'm okay with giving problem guys a chance at pro ball, but I hope Barker clearly told him what will be expected of him.

ArgoRavi
02-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Byron Parker seems to think highly of Bell so I look forward to seeing what he brings to this team.

Area 51
02-18-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm okay with giving problem guys a chance at pro ball, but I hope Barker clearly told him what will be expected of him.

Agreed - - no problem with giving someone an opportunity to show that he's turned it around. My concern is if the coaches realize he's still a heavy user will they get rid of him or knowingly turn a blind eye and let him continue doing exactly what got him kicked out of other previous stops. It's one thing to accept the use of PEDs, but totally different to condone a guy being constantly baked.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8