PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere

GiVENS38
07-10-2014, 06:21 AM
Time for people to stop complaining about the atmosphere at the Dome and start creating an atmosphere at the Dome. At the end of it all, it's all about the fans who make it what it is. We need to rise up and BE THE DIFFERENCE. No more of just sitting back in your seat while your team in on defense. Stand up, clap your hands and be heard. The more people ( true fans ) do it, the more other people or new fans will join you. It just takes a few people to start making the difference. It's VERY sad when visiting team fans are able to generate more noise than Argos fans at a home game at the Dome. Making noise and creating more of an ATMOSPHERE at games will make it fun for everyone. Try not to be so shy and polite. If you LOVE this team, let's get up and prove it!!!

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGOOOOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

T-Bone
07-10-2014, 08:14 AM
GiVENS38 (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?1222-Time-for-the-FANS-to-step-up!!!)? It's always refreshing when someone new comes to the board to tell everyone that their not "true fans" unless they support the team as they do. Welcome aboard.

argos1873
07-10-2014, 08:32 PM
GiVENS38 (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?1222-Time-for-the-FANS-to-step-up!!!)? It's always refreshing when someone new comes to the board to tell everyone that their not "true fans" unless they support the team as they do. Welcome aboard.

What are you complaining about? There's a well known banner that a fan or group of fans hang at every Argo game that says "True Fans make noise". Do you complain about that too?

ArgoGabe22
07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Can you define "true fan" ?

paulwoods13
07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
T-Bone can speak for himself but I think he is saying that it is tad insulting to suggest that someone is not a "true fan" if he/she does not make a lot of noise at games. We all like a lot of noise in the stadium (at the right times, that is), but I would never accuse someone of being less than a true fan based solely on their willingness to yell. Mind you, accusations that individuals are not "true fans" are not new to this board.

argos1873
07-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Oh for god sakes. Is there never an end to what some people here will nitpik on? The guy is just saying he would think it would be better if fans made noise.

Argocister
07-10-2014, 10:53 PM
I agree with BleedingDoubleBlue.... it is up to us to create the atmosphere we want... if we want the RoyThompson Hall environment... we wont say a word during the performance. .... If we want to go over the top, we will act like Sask fans.
Pick your weapon.... but at a football game I dont think anyone should complain if people are making more noise. It is true though, the more persons making noise, the more others will join in .... unless you are the person given the tickets in front of my seat (they are always different people cheering for different teams, but always used) .... Its always a joke as to when they move.... I think I have a screechy voice or I just bug them too much with my cheering :O
there are some new ticket holders behind me, and by the end of last year they were joining in ....its that old addage... if you can't shut them up, join 'em :D

herrington2828
07-10-2014, 11:55 PM
I yell in section 115 all game and some ignorant people look at me,sometimes told to sit down but alcohol helps numb the pain lol. We will be drunk, loud and proud this Saturday,8 of us doing our job hopefully getting others to join us

T-Bone
07-11-2014, 12:08 AM
What are you complaining about?paulwoods13 summed up my position perfectly. If you want to motivate people to do something there is probably a better way of going about it than implying they are inferior right off the bat.

It would be nice to have more people making noise but I'm not going to fault someone who is not in to doing that. We can use all the fans we can get "true" or "untrue".

DanTheFan
07-11-2014, 12:24 AM
I yell myself hoarse at games, and clap my hands till they're red. I do so with the hope it's contagious.

Despite the thin attendance at the last game, I was actually quite pleased with the crowd. The ECF last year, not so much despite a larger attendance. Different levels of compete in either game, but it would be nice if at least the fans that do make noise be consistent and not clam up when the game isn't going the best.

That said, I'd welcome a move out of the Dome. The Argos need more respect as a tenant.

ArgoFan1
07-11-2014, 12:57 AM
I am with anyone who wants us to make more noise. The atmosphere is us !! People complain about the atmosphere but expect everyone else to provide it... true fan or not. I am ringing my cowbell as soon as the opposition walks to their huddle and don't stop until the snap of the ball. Probably annoys some fans near me, but that is the way football is to be. Ever listen to the stories about the deafening sound in Seattle, and even Saskatchewan. I find it part of the fun and doing my bit to cause the other team to go off side or miss the play clock. When that happens, I feel like I was a small part of that. The home opener was one of the quietest crowds I've seen. At times, all I could hear was my own cowbell. I got that because I cannot yell very loud.

BATKINSON001
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
All fans need a cowbell or a horn... I have a bell now since my horn broke (could never get it to work right anyways).

ColdCrusty78
07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I couldn't yell all the time cause the heat was draining all my strength... what a cooker!

jerrym
07-11-2014, 08:12 PM
I yell at my TV in Vancouver. Does that count?
Welcome on board the good ship Argo, BleedingDoubleBlue. Ignore the nitpickers.

Argocister
07-11-2014, 11:40 PM
I yell at my TV in Vancouver. Does that count? .........

Definitely!!! The louder the better.... And if the neighbours hear you , even better!

argos1873
07-12-2014, 08:54 PM
paulwoods13 summed up my position perfectly. If you want to motivate people to do something there is probably a better way of going about it than implying they are inferior right off the bat.

It would be nice to have more people making noise but I'm not going to fault someone who is not in to doing that. We can use all fans we can get "true" or "untrue".

All he said was the more fans that do it, the more that others will see it as something to do. I'm not sure of his definition of what a true fan is, but I will suppose that he means those of you who are there every game or most every game. Lead the charge. Its my opinion that those of you who are there most games are already making a lot of noise, but I really don't see what there is to nitpik about what he said. But I noticed there are a few people who always feel the need to come up with a counter negative post to what some people post. But whatever floats their boat. Maybe they feel superior to other Argo fans for some reason or another. I don't know.

paulwoods13
07-12-2014, 11:50 PM
All he said was the more fans that do it, the more that others will see it as something to do. I'm not sure of his definition of what a true fan is, but I will suppose that he means those of you who are there every game or most every game. Lead the charge. Its my opinion that those of you who are there most games are already making a lot of noise, but I really don't see what there is to nitpik about what he said. But I noticed there are a few people who always feel the need to come up with a counter negative post to what some people post. But whatever floats their boat. Maybe they feel superior to other Argo fans for some reason or another. I don't know.

Actually, he said, in part: "The more people ( true fans ) do it, the more other people or new fans will join you." Thereby implying that those who don't do it are not true fans. That's insulting to some of us who are true fans, regardless of whether or not we make noise. And my boat is still afloat.

Will
07-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Toronto sports crowds have always had a reputation as being quiet. Since my Argo fandom was not at the height of the team's popularity can someone tell me if the crowds defied the Toronto reputation at CNE?

AngeloV
07-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Toronto sports crowds have always had a reputation as being quiet. Since my Argo fandom was not at the height of the team's popularity can someone tell me if the crowds defied the Toronto reputation at CNE?

The crowds were quite rowdy back then. Not necessarily a better thing, because it did result in the occasional fight in the crowd.

T-Bone
07-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Maybe they feel superior to other Argo fans for some reason or another. I don't know.
Regardless of BleedingDoubleBlue's intentions, that's how the post reads in my opinion.

johnnyice
07-13-2014, 08:18 AM
I yell in section 115 all game and some ignorant people look at me,sometimes told to sit down but alcohol helps numb the pain lol. We will be drunk, loud and proud this Saturday,8 of us doing our job hopefully getting others to join us

Loud is one thing ....shitfaced , blocking the view and being an asshole is quite another.....

ArgoRavi
07-13-2014, 02:40 PM
The crowds were quite rowdy back then. Not necessarily a better thing, because it did result in the occasional fight in the crowd.

I remember that back in 1983, Marty York was the first person in the media to alert readers about potential attendance problems for the Argos. I recall one of his columns after the Argos' final regular season game that year about the bad behaviour of fans - I specifically recall him talking about drunken fans urinating in the stands - and how the Argos were losing families to the Blue Jays as a result.

Ron
07-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Loud is one thing ....shitfaced , blocking the view and being an asshole is quite another.....

We have a Bingo!

1argoholic
07-13-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry for 1983. haha.

argos1873
07-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Actually, he said, in part: "The more people ( true fans ) do it, the more other people or new fans will join you." Thereby implying that those who don't do it are not true fans. That's insulting to some of us who are true fans, regardless of whether or not we make noise. And my boat is still afloat.

Do you honestly feel insulted, or do you just feel you need to say that someone might feel insulted? Do you know either way?

Regardless of BleedingDoubleBlue's intentions, that's how the post reads in my opinion.

So do you interpret all literature like a robot and take every word as literal?

paulwoods13
07-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Do you honestly feel insulted, or do you just feel you need to say that someone might feel insulted? Do you know either way?

What part of "some of us" did you not understand?

T-Bone
07-19-2014, 10:05 AM
So do you interpret all literature like a robot and take every word as literal?
If BleedingDoubleBlue has an issue with the way I interpreted his post he can chime in.

1argoholic
07-21-2014, 07:49 AM
If Argo fans were allowed to sneak in booze, get hammered and fight like the good old days crowds would come back bigtime. That's when I fell in love with CFL ball. We used to call the family size coke at CNE mix. Good times. You needed the booze while sitting at the mistake by the lake. BMO would be the second coming.

herrington2828
07-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Ageed,and of which we are none. No swaring,standing or personal insults. So therefore, we are great fans wishing for more fun

Ballstothewall
07-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Time for people to stop complaining about the atmosphere at the Dome and start creating an atmosphere at the Dome. At the end of it all, it's all about the fans who make it what it is. We need to rise up and BE THE DIFFERENCE. No more of just sitting back in your seat while your team in on defense. Stand up, clap your hands and be heard. The more people ( true fans ) do it, the more other people or new fans will join you. It just takes a few people to start making the difference. It's VERY sad when visiting team fans are able to generate more noise than Argos fans at a home game at the Dome. Making noise and creating more of an ATMOSPHERE at games will make it fun for everyone. Try not to be so shy and polite. If you LOVE this team, let's get up and prove it!!!

Welcome to the form double blue, from the warm welcome you have received so far. I wonder if you will be back. It's not that we need more people posting on here.Sometimes all 10 of us are on at the same time

argotom
07-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Exactly.
However I have noticed every game the Argonotes are outside and then move indoors and are heard.
Same thing for most of the games with the St. Micheal's drum corps.

crmsntide
07-21-2014, 10:03 PM
I think it is interesting that alot of fans, true or otherwise, only cheer when told to by the stadium announcer.

argonaut11xx
07-21-2014, 10:16 PM
If Argo fans were allowed to sneak in booze, get hammered and fight like the good old days crowds would come back bigtime. That's when I fell in love with CFL ball. We used to call the family size coke at CNE mix. Good times. You needed the booze while sitting at the mistake by the lake. BMO would be the second coming.

Ahhh..the good old days, sneaking in a 26'er wrapped in a blanket...and those family sized cokes even came with a few cups to mix your drinks.

As for being an asshole(only to ticat fans), drunk(cause i like that warm fuzzy feeling), and blocking someones view cause your standing up CHEERING wildly for the Argo's....been there, done that...

if you want QUIET, go to the damn library...

BATKINSON001
07-21-2014, 10:25 PM
I think it is interesting that alot of fans, true or otherwise, only cheer when told to by the stadium announcer.

Yeah that can be annoying, but they are supposed to make noise while the Argos are on defence and not usually at any other time...

GiVENS38
07-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Damn..... So the comment of "true fans" is made and you're all upset. "True fans" as in the true diehard fans who have been supporting this team and are not some fan who just showed up to their 1st or 2nd game..... If anyone is able to show new fans who have attended their 1st or 2nd game, I'd hope it would be a true diehard fan. If you need a hug because someone put the word TRUE on a post, then come see me next game. Maybe I'll even buy you a beer or lollipop or whatever makes you feel better. How can you seriously nitpick such a comment? I'm not going to bother anymore with discussing that. All I'm saying is it's US THE FANS of our Toronto Argonauts to show our support and cheer on the team to create ATMOSPHERE. Stop with the complaining about the Dome sucking the life and blah blah blah. FANS or TRUE fans make the atmosphere what it is. If FANS went to BMO field and watched the game like a baseball game, then they would be saying BMO field has no ATMOSPHERE too. It is what it is. Football is a game that NEEDS it's fans to be involved. When is the last time you saw a hockey player or baseball player waving his arms asking the crowd to make noise??? So if you want to say you're fan and you wish not to make a simple bit of noise to show your support, so be it. It's your choice. But for the rest of the fans who are able to stand up and clap their hands when the team is on defense, PLEASE do! Don't be shy and encourage others around you to do the same. There was one game last season when the crowd actually got very involved. Shocking enough it was a Wednesday evening game vs The BC Lions. After that game many spoke about the great ATMOSPHERE at the game. There was even a small crowd attending that game due to the fact it was a Wednesday evening. So if you need a hug after these comments or if you have any beef with what I have come on here to say. Please take our your anger at the next home game when you can help create some ATMOSHERE for our team.

paulwoods13
07-26-2014, 10:03 AM
"True fans" as in the true diehard fans who have been supporting this team and are not some fan who just showed up to their 1st or 2nd game.....

Is that similar to some fan who just made his or her first or second post?

ArgoRedneck
07-26-2014, 10:22 AM
For what it's worth, out of the 9 teams in the CFL, Argos are 4th on Twitter with followers.

Argocister
07-26-2014, 05:06 PM

None whatsoever!

Ballstothewall
07-26-2014, 06:52 PM

It's all in how you see things. I took it as a positve. A Argo fan who found the site and wanted to speak to other passionate Argo fans about the lack of atmosphere. You took it as a negative, like he was calling you out personally. That I don't understand, and I also don't get the hostility that some on here display right off the bat, to new members that posts on here. I don't think this site is so big that we can afford to chase people off. How about we welcome new member, ...... Na foget that

paulwoods13
07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Hey, I've welcomed new posters to this forum many times. This particular poster's first-ever post suggested that anyone who did not make noise was not a true fan, and his second post on this topic suggested that anyone who didn't make noise must be a newbie. (Not to mention the implication that anyone who took offence must be angry.) On behalf of the diverse population of Argo fans, some of whom refuse, as is their right, to be forced to comply with someone else's standard of true fandom, I took offence. So be it.

And for the record, I have spoken many times on this forum about my appreciation for crowd noise, and I make a lot of noise myself in the stadium, and sometimes even in my den. What I don't do is suggest that those who don't make noise must not be true fans.

T-Bone
07-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Hey, I've welcomed new posters to this forum many times. This particular poster's first-ever post suggested that anyone who did not make noise was not a true fan, and his second post on this topic suggested that anyone who didn't make noise must be a newbie. (Not to mention the implication that anyone who took offence must be angry.) On behalf of the diverse population of Argo fans, some of whom refuse, as is their right, to be forced to comply with someone else's standard of true fandom, I took offence. So be it.

And for the record, I have spoken many times on this forum about my appreciation for crowd noise, and I make a lot of noise myself in the stadium, and sometimes even in my den. What I don't do is suggest that those who don't make noise must not be true fans.
It appears BleedingDoubleBlue turned out to be GiVENS38. Anyway, yet again you have summed things up perfectly and we are on the same page. Are you going for the beer or the lolly?

paulwoods13
07-29-2014, 09:56 PM
If you're buying, I'm on for either, T-Bone. ;-)

T-Bone
08-08-2014, 10:19 AM
If you're buying, I'm on for either, T-Bone. ;-)
You're on.

This should probably help the atmosphere at Rogers Centre a little at next Tuesdays game:

It will be TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games night at the stadium and the first 10,000 fans will receive Toronto 2015 branded noise makers. (http://argonauts.ca/article/argonauts-take-on-blue-bombers-at-home-tuesday-night?utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=twitter)

Deerkeeper
08-08-2014, 01:31 PM
This should probably help the atmosphere at Rogers Centre a little at next Tuesdays game:
I don't mean to be snide, but I would like to know how many they are going to have left after the game.

argolio
08-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I don't mean to be snide, but I would like to know how many they are going to have left after the game.Most of us we're probably thinking the same thing after reading that.

AngeloV
08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I don't mean to be snide, but I would like to know how many they are going to have left after the game.

Maybe they can give the remaining away on Sunday. Hopefully Rogers won't charge them storage fees for whatever is left over.

Kidding or not, it hurt to even think of such a scenario.

1argoholic
08-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Actually I'm glad we can't make it as I spent most of the Calgary game feeling depressed at the tiny crowd and wondering WTF is going on and why Braley doesn't get his head from his arse?

Not to mention the clip they showed on TSN this morning of the Lions D all chilling on leather couches during their last home halftime. Screw that crap.

Will
08-12-2014, 11:55 PM
They announced 18,106 tonight and I'm certainly more inclined to believe that more than the announced attendances for the first two games. The atmosphere was pretty good as well which was nice. It was a loud crowd.

Argo57
08-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Actually I'm glad we can't make it as I spent most of the Calgary game feeling depressed at the tiny crowd and wondering WTF is going on and why Braley doesn't get his head from his arse?

Not to mention the clip they showed on TSN this morning of the Lions D all chilling on leather couches during their last home halftime. Screw that crap.

Crowd was certainly a pleasant surprise tonight hopefully they can build on this one.

LLB997
08-13-2014, 12:18 AM
crowd lookd decent on tv

ArgoRavi
08-13-2014, 12:20 AM
crowd lookd decent on tv

I agree that the crowd both looked and sounded decent and that it actually appeared as though the Argos had a bit of a home field advantage tonight. Interestingly, Steve Simmons has been claiming on Twitter that there were no more than 10k to 12k at the game tonight which would have been a more valid claim for the last home game.

Argocister
08-13-2014, 12:44 AM
For a Tuesday night in the summer, it was a good crowd. and they were noisy as well. It was a good atmosphere tonight. It can still get better but its a good start.
As for Steve Simmons ..... I really hope his reporting on the Argos becomes a bit more football oriented rather than the drama .... its getting tiring and I'm starting to tune him out.

argolio
08-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Less than 18K tonight? Possibly. More than 10-12K? Definitely.

paulwoods13
08-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Less than 18K tonight? Possibly. More than 10-12K? Definitely.

I agree. I actually thought it might be in the 18k range. Regardless, it was a very loud and enthusiastic crowd.

Will
08-13-2014, 09:30 AM
In today's Sun, Simmons upped his estimate to 15,000.

AaronInToronto
08-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Crowd was better last night than it has been in a while. I also notice TSN is focusing more on Argos fans now. Our section got more airplay than normal. Usually you see fan groups from every other team when watching TSN, and we Argos fans see blurred images of signage. TSN seems to be doing their part to help make it appear like a noisy and fan-filled environment. We jsut need some fans to see that on tv, and decide that it's worth a shot to check it out live.

As for the game itself, it was one of the more enjoyable this year.

BATKINSON001
08-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I thought it was good, I watched it on tv with my old man, which is rare since he doesn't like football all that much. Looking forward to sundays' game.

matchuk
08-13-2014, 02:55 PM
i agree, for a tuesday night mid-summer, decent crowd, that was actually into the game!

Will
08-14-2014, 09:55 AM
I was quite surprised how loud the crowd got at times. An announced figure of 18,000 is still bad, but at least it looked a little more believable this game.

Argocister
08-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I was quite surprised how loud the crowd got at times. .........

Tuesday was fun as well, hopefully Sunday can be even better!.... I'm bringing an extra 5 people

7dj83r8f78t4alf8