PDA

View Full Version : Projecting the 20 NI Roster Spots

Area 51
02-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Never a good thing to lose veteran Canadians, so now that Eiben and Picard have left here's a breakdown of the Argos Canadian depth. Filling 20 NI spots with talent that can make contributions from top to bottom is usually a big factor in which team ends up with the rings at year end.

The Seven Potential NI Starters:

I see six locks here with one more spot to be decided. Or will Toronto decide to start an extra NI? The last spot will either go to Pottinger at LB or Eppelle at G, with Matt Black as an outside chance to start at CB. Nine in total Nine in total for this grouping.

Foley - DE
Durie - WR
Marcoux - G
Prefontaine - K
Parenteau - C
Van Zeyl - OT
Eppele - G
Pottinger - LB
M Black - CB

The Depth Guys / NI Special Teams:

This is the part that often gets overlooked. These guys aren't expected to be big time starters, but they have to be able to contribute on STs. Seven in this grouping makes a total of 16 NI spots taken so far.

Bradwell - WR
T Black - LB
J Johnson - RB
Rempel - SB/LS
Robinson - DE
St Pierre - G
Jones - G

The Rest NIs:

Argos need to find four more NIs for the dress roster from this grouping.

Keeping - G
Feoli-Guidino - WR
G Alexandre - DT
Kuame - WR
McKenzie - G
Pierre-Etienne DE
Pollari - OT
C Smith - LB
Watt - WR
Holmes - OT
Gardner - WR

In terms of top end NI starters I think Toronto is in OK shape. They need to find some improvement towards the end of the NI players - - spots 15 through 20. Instead of wasting draft picks on NCAA juniors who will not even show up next year Toronto should focus on picking guys that were major ST players while at university. Doesn't matter if it's an undersized DE or a LB that's too slow or a QB that's going to convert to being a ST player - - just bring in a few guys from the CIS that are willing to get downfield and crack heads on STs.

RoRoYoBoat
02-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Never a good thing to lose veteran Canadians, so now that Eiben and Picard have left here's a breakdown of the Argos Canadian depth. Filling 20 NI spots with talent that can make contributions from top to bottom is usually a big factor in which team ends up with the rings at year end.

The Seven Potential NI Starters:

I see six locks here with one more spot to be decided. Or will Toronto decide to start an extra NI? The last spot will either go to Pottinger at LB or Eppelle at G, with Matt Black as an outside chance to start at CB. Nine in total Nine in total for this grouping.

Foley - DE
Durie - WR
Marcoux - G
Prefontaine - K
Parenteau - C
Van Zeyl - OT
Eppele - G
Pottinger - LB
M Black - CB

The Depth Guys / NI Special Teams:

This is the part that often gets overlooked. These guys aren't expected to be big time starters, but they have to be able to contribute on STs. Seven in this grouping makes a total of 16 NI spots taken so far.

Bradwell - WR
T Black - LB
J Johnson - RB
Rempel - SB/LS
Robinson - DE
St Pierre - G
Jones - G

The Rest NIs:

Argos need to find four more NIs for the dress roster from this grouping.

Keeping - G
Feoli-Guidino - WR
G Alexandre - DT
Kuame - WR
McKenzie - G
Pierre-Etienne DE
Pollari - OT
C Smith - LB
Watt - WR
Holmes - OT
Gardner - WR

In terms of top end NI starters I think Toronto is in OK shape. They need to find some improvement towards the end of the NI players - - spots 15 through 20. Instead of wasting draft picks on NCAA juniors who will not even show up next year Toronto should focus on picking guys that were major ST players while at university. Doesn't matter if it's an undersized DE or a LB that's too slow or a QB that's going to convert to being a ST player - - just bring in a few guys from the CIS that are willing to get downfield and crack heads on STs.

Kicker does not count. Replace him with Tyler Holmes on the line, that's what Barker is counting on.

paulwoods13
02-19-2012, 08:40 AM
I foresee eight NI starters this season: Foley, four o-linemen, Durie, Pottinger and either Black or a second receiver (Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino). The four o-linemen will be Van Zayl, Gagne-Marcoux, Eppele and either St. Pierre, Parenteau, Jones or Keeping.

If Pottinger isn't healthy enough to start or doesn't fit Jones' scheme, both Black and Bradwell/Feoli will have to start. Starting just seven is too risky, IMO, because one injury can disrupt multiple positions. Ideally I'd like nine NI starters so the team can situation-substitute most freely. But I doubt we will have that luxury this season, with so many of our NIs being inexperienced. If we could sign Matt Kirk to start at DT, that would be a huge help.

RoRoYoBoat
02-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Did I miss something ? Has Jake Gardner been signed yet ? Also Holmes may not be in the CFL this season, most likely he'll try for the NFL first and waste this upcoming season. Reinders is also in the "pipeline", but Argos shouldn't even waste their time on him. Keeping, Feoli-Guidino, Alexandre, and Watt will probably fill the last four NI spots IMO.

Just said "that is what Barker IS COUNTING ON"

ArgoRavi
02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Who is Jake Gardner? Doesn't he play for the Leafs?

OV Argo
02-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I foresee eight NI starters this season: Foley, four o-linemen, Durie, Pottinger and either Black or a second receiver (Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino). The four o-linemen will be Van Zayl, Gagne-Marcoux, Eppele and either St. Pierre, Parenteau, Jones or Keeping.

If Pottinger isn't healthy enough to start or doesn't fit Jones' scheme, both Black and Bradwell/Feoli will have to start. Starting just seven is too risky, IMO, because one injury can disrupt multiple positions. Ideally I'd like nine NI starters so the team can situation-substitute most freely. But I doubt we will have that luxury this season, with so many of our NIs being inexperienced. If we could sign Matt Kirk to start at DT, that would be a huge help.

I wouldn't bet on more than 7 NI starters with this new coaching staff; although it is sure possible / plausible - seems to me anyhow; 4 NI O-linemen (possibly 5 if Holems shows up and is given a shot at OT) + Durie and maybe another NI receiver (Watt or Bradwell most likey - i doubt Feoloi-Gudino as a rookie will get much reps / chances to move up the depth chart - if he even makes the team); on D - Foley is a given, Pottinger has been a starter (like to see Tristan Black given a real chance to challenge for the starting MLB job); maybe Matt Black at corner; maybe Alexandre gets a real shot at DT this season? = there could easily be something like 10 NI starters if a lot of these guys have very good TCs in open competition...

... however - i believe you'll see some good ole pencilling in and it may well be just the minimum 7 NI starters; 4 O-linemen + Durie; and Foley plus either a MLB or maybe Black at corner; Millanovich had zero NI starters in the Als receiving corps last season; and Jones and the Stamps played NIs very sparingly on the Stamps' D - usually juggling between a few guys to have just one NI on D most of the time.

ArgoRavi
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
lol good catch Ravi, didn't even notice that, I meant Jedd Gardner former WR of the Gueplh Gryphons. Jake Gardiner plays defense for the Leafs.

I forgot about Jedd Gardner. Presumably, the Argos have to re-sign him and I don't think that they have done so yet. How did he do in his final season at Guelph?

Will
02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
I forgot about Jedd Gardner. Presumably, the Argos have to re-sign him and I don't think that they have done so yet. How did he do in his final season at Guelph?

He had 39 receptions for 520 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Wobbler
02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Kicker does not count.
The kicker doesn't count towards the 7 NI starter requirement, but he counts for the 20 NI requirement (which is the subject of this thread). Benefit of the doubt should be given.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8