PDA

View Full Version : Time for a restaurant thread, as in your fave or new found fave. Love me good eats.

1argoholic
07-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Having lived in The Kawartha's for just about a year we have developed a list of favorite restaurants. La Hacienda on Hunter St in Peterborough is run by a Mexican woman and the food is very authentic and KILLER!!!!!!

The Original Greek on Water and Parkhill in Peterborough is great Greek with massive portions. Our salads could have fed two.

Old Stone Brewery Stout to be found at Hot Bally Momma's and their other restaurant attached to it on George St in Pete is such a great stout.

BO Pizza (beyond ordinary) in Norwood and their Pete location is great.

Baldwin Street Burgers in Brooklin has it all. Great burgers from locally raised quality, all the right things done beef, plus great sides and salads. Two young college educated chefs who are super good guys as well. Anyone can make a burger with meat from some other part of the world but these burgers are KILLER. Great shakes too.

Reggies in Pete makes a solid burger but not up to Baldwin St standards.

Nutshell Next Door in Lakefield is kickin out GREAT soups and sandwiches.

To my surprise the restaurant at the Peterborough Airport is solid.

Maggies Eatery on Hunter has good food made with passion for sure.

Weston Rd and Langstaff area had us stumbbling upon Babylonian Fine Foods which has a restaurant attached. It's at 3306 Langstaff Rd in Woodbridge. KILLER shwarma. Great store as well with wicked treats and eats.

Across the Street from the above place is Nova European Deli. Polish and KILLER for the best baked cheesecake, European wieners, polish donuts etc. Nice lady running this little store.

Always looking for other places of quality no matter the type of food. Love the good eats.

Thanks!

argonaut11xx
07-27-2014, 07:30 PM
General Sikorski Hall on Stevenson Rd North in Oshawa, does an openhouse on sunday(i think) nights. The BEST Polish food ever, and very reasonable.

Best Pizza, hands down, Pizza Pino is Ajax.

Since i moved to BC, seems like mostly chains, which pretty much suck (how can anyone like Whitespot???)

That said, there's a place in Langley City called of all things "N.Y. Grill", the owner Manny makes his moms butter chicken...and its the best i've ever tasted.

Venetis, also in Langley City, is a time machine back to the 70's, but its the most amazing old school steak house...

ArgoGabe22
07-27-2014, 08:09 PM
White Spot has kind of changed except their burgers with Triple-O sauce is still pretty good. Their pies and shakes are also good too but not sure why they are going with Thai food all of the sudden. Overall it's not good but for some reason their burgers were always my favourite when I used to vacation as a kid from Calgary.

Mississauga is changing and honestly the best food I have had are Chinese restaurants, where everyone is Chinese. There is a plaze near Erindale GO station and there are 3 pretty good restaurants and are no where near your typical take out food. This is the real deal from mainland China.

Golden Pheasant is a Czech restaurant near Dundas and Cawthra. Very big portions but also very good. Fried cheese, stuffed potato pancakes, stew, pork chops etc.

There is also a Korean Fried chicken place by Dundas and Hurontario. 100 times better than chicken wings at your local bar. It's a whole chicken cut into small pieces. I think there are 4 different flavours - plain, spicy, garlic and soy and something else.

I'm not familiar with Toronto and rest of GTA but best pizza in Mississauga and below? Gotta drive to Buffalo, NY. There's just no comparison.

argonaut11xx
07-27-2014, 11:45 PM
White Spot has kind of changed except their burgers with Triple-O sauce is still pretty good. Their pies and shakes are also good too but not sure why they are going with Thai food all of the sudden. Overall it's not good but for some reason their burgers were always my favourite when I used to vacation as a kid from Calgary.

Mississauga is changing and honestly the best food I have had are Chinese restaurants, where everyone is Chinese. There is a plaze near Erindale GO station and there are 3 pretty good restaurants and are no where near your typical take out food. This is the real deal from mainland China.

Golden Pheasant is a Czech restaurant near Dundas and Cawthra. Very big portions but also very good. Fried cheese, stuffed potato pancakes, stew, pork chops etc.

There is also a Korean Fried chicken place by Dundas and Hurontario. 100 times better than chicken wings at your local bar. It's a whole chicken cut into small pieces. I think there are 4 different flavours - plain, spicy, garlic and soy and something else.

I'm not familiar with Toronto and rest of GTA but best pizza in Mississauga and below? Gotta drive to Buffalo, NY. There's just no comparison.

Gabe...you had me at "Fried Cheese".....

matchuk
07-28-2014, 10:23 AM
check out Mamma Martino's in Etobicoke (Queesnway between Royal York and Park Lawn)....good home made Italian food, with good sized portions...the pizza is amazing! and unless you are getting a pizza with all the works, the most expensive meal on the menu is $10

Argocister
07-28-2014, 10:31 AM

Now a different type of fried cheese comes on the Ol'Marina Restaurants Puslinch Burger. This restaurant is on Puslinch lake, just off the 401 at Townline Rd. Near Cambridge. If you go there, the challenge is to eat the whole burger. An awesome beef patty smothered with lots of stuff topped with fried cheese. amazing..... Not for the light in calorie group tho!

1argoholic
07-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Marconi's Pizza Gabe always rocked in Mississauga. I ate Marconi's while watching the Argos lose the 71 Grey Cup when they were in Etobicoke. Ate it right up until moving west in Oct of 02. I'm sure they must still be around Mississauga.

Mulder
07-28-2014, 09:04 PM
1argoholic, I'm on vacation in 2 weeks & we are spending it at the inlaws cottage on Balsam lake near Coboconck. You closish to that area?

1argoholic
07-29-2014, 07:32 AM
We're not so close. Haven't made that drive since I was showing my wife the area back in July 2011. We must be close to two hours from there.

Hope you fish as Balsam is a great fishing lake and one of the cleanest Kawartha lakes.

T-Bone
07-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Fried cheese is great and one of my favourite places to get it is at Europe Restaurant and Bar (http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/europe-bar-restaurant-toronto). Great traditional Hungarian food.

Will
07-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Pizza: Dante's Pizza on Dufferin between Langstaff and Rutherford recently kicked out Dante who actually did not own the restaurant (at least in recent years); unfortunately the quality has decline considerably. What once was excellent pizza has been reduced to cardboard. I don't know where else to turn to in the Thornhill area! Angelo, some help perhaps?

Deli: Centre Street Deli on Centre Street between Dufferin and Bathurst is the best smoked meat outside of Montreal. Caplansky's tries to hype himself, but he cannot provide the quality that Centre Street does.

Philly Cheesesteak: T-Bone, Cossack and I found a place at College and Yonge called I Went to Philly which was pretty good. Unfortunately, that location is closing tomorrow (30th), but they have another location near Eglinton West Subway Station.

Polish: Cafe Polonez on Roncesvalles is always an easy standby. They make a fine Farmer's soup with potato and sausage as well as a generous portion of Chicken Schnitzel.

1argoholic
07-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Centre Street Deli is on my go to list. Know where it as as we've been to Yummy European Market a few times just down from there. Not in the GTA that much but want to do a run in to check out the Pottery Yard in Woodbridge for a chiminea or however it's spelled.
That Europe Restaurant and Bar looks interesting.

We cook a ton of various foods at home but good traditional restaurants know how to kick out the great eats.Hard to compete at home but we do our best.

ArgoRavi
07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Nobody knows of any good restaurants in Hamilton?

ArgoGabe22
07-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Nobody knows of any good restaurants in Hamilton?

Never went but heard good things about Chicago Style Pizza Shack. Sparkle Northern Chinese Restaurant is the best thing in downtown IMO. Black Forest Inn is a Hamilton landmark and is in downtown as well but I only went once and it wasn't amazing or anything.

Wobbler
07-29-2014, 06:09 PM
I haven't lived in Toronto for almost ten years, but I still have fond memories of Café la Gaffe (which apparently still exists (http://cafelagaffe.com/)).

1argoholic
07-30-2014, 07:38 AM
You Gotta Eat Here has done two been to two or three places in Hamilton. My aunt who lives in Burlington took my wife and I to this cool trendy little street in Hamilton on a visit a few years back. We ate at a GREAT little bistro kicking our some of the best restaurant food I'd ever had. I'll have to call my aunt for the name.

ArgoRavi
07-30-2014, 02:22 PM
You Gotta Eat Here has done two been to two or three places in Hamilton. My aunt who lives in Burlington took my wife and I to this cool trendy little street in Hamilton on a visit a few years back. We ate at a GREAT little bistro kicking our some of the best restaurant food I'd ever had. I'll have to call my aunt for the name.

It sounds like it may have been in Hess Village.

argonaut11xx
07-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Fried cheese is great and one of my favourite places to get it is at Europe Restaurant and Bar (http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/europe-bar-restaurant-toronto). Great traditional Hungarian food.

Hungarian food is one of my favorites, very hard to find an authentic place.

Double Dare
07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
The Beef & Booze Restaurant comes to mind.

1argoholic
08-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Ravi the area in Hamilton is Lock Street and the restaurant The Courtyard.

1argoholic
08-15-2014, 01:03 PM
If you hit one restaurant while going through Peterborough it must be Altona Kabob on George just about Brock St. Eaten there twice in the last few days. Clean, cheap, great portions and yummy!! I had two beef kabobs with veggie rice very good mixed salad with humus, garlic sauce and hot sauce for $7.99. Killer. There's another shwarma place that used to be in this location but has moved down the street but it's not nearly as clean and cared for.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8