PDA

View Full Version : Two more long-term injuries to report

ArgoRavi
08-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Anthony Coombs has a torn labrum while LB Nick Williams is out for the season with a knee injury: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Rookie+Anthony+Coombs+latest+Argos+receiver+join+r anks+injured/10094885/story.html

paulwoods13
08-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Brutal. Williams seems like a player, and Coombs is basically irreplaceable as long as Durie is out. I doubt Natey Adjei is ready to start, considering he hasn't even dressed more than a game or two, so I guess this means we either start Bradwell or use an import at slotback and adjust the ratio elsewhere.

ArgoRavi
08-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Brutal. Williams seems like a player, and Coombs is basically irreplaceable as long as Durie is out. I doubt Natey Adjei is ready to start, considering he hasn't even dressed more than a game or two, so I guess this means we either start Bradwell or use an import at slotback and adjust the ratio elsewhere.

I am guessing that Robert Gill will move into the Durie/Coombs spot. The Argos started 9 Nationals in Montreal, if I am not mistaken, but with King coming back and Gill potentially starting for Coombs, it doesn't leave them much wiggle room regarding the ratio.

Argo57
08-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Unbelievable, I can't remember any team being hit with so many significant injuries to one particular position.

Wobbler
08-06-2014, 08:27 PM
At one point Milanovich seemed to think that Owens might come off the 6-game early, but I haven't heard anything recently. That would... help. There's no way we'll rush Durie's collarbone.

OV Argo
08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Bradwell should IMO be given a shot to start at slotback - he's no Owens or Durie type in terms of a dangerous YAC yards guy, but he is good size target with good hands and he has the CFL experience to know the offence and run good routes. And didn't Adjei play the Durie spot when he got to play in the ex. games? - he is supposedly fast & athletic - might be worth a shot at some playing time - and i don't see why Gill should be rated any more "ready" to start other than his birth certificate. Anyhow - with Owens, Durie and now Coombs too out - thinking you are just going to be able to plug in whatever newcomer and run the same old offence dependent on 2 small YAC yards types is maybe not too bright. Time to see more throws well down the field in the passing game, plus also wayyyyyy more faith in a ground game and also some other wrinkles - like some plays designed for the big H-backs (Robinson or Dupuis) - not holding my breath that this can happen though.

argotom
08-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I read there is the belief how Owens may not be back this year.

Wobbler
08-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't stress yourself by providing a reference, argotom. I'm sure you have more important things to do.

argolio
08-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Don't stress yourself by providing a reference, argotom. I'm sure you have more important things to do.lol!

I hate to think we might not see Owens and Durie on the field together for the rest of 2014. The value of them on the field goes much further than their individual production.

AngeloV
08-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Don't stress yourself by providing a reference, argotom. I'm sure you have more important things to do.

LOL!!!

It is a Zicarelli column, so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/02/argonauts-hopeful-about-owens-recovery

Not much is being said because not much is known other than the fact that Owens continues to wear a walking boot, but it’s believed the injury is very similar to the one Shane Herbert suffered last season.

Herbert missed the entire year.

Wobbler
08-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Angelo. I may not be a fan of FZ's writing style, but I genuinely respect his consistent participation in Argos' media events. He asks a lot of questions! Some of his inquiries are less well thought out than I'd like, but I've seen no evidence that he has had to shoulder aside CFL experts before asking.

Argolio: Agreed!

ArgoRavi
08-07-2014, 01:07 AM
That Zicarelli article on Owens was odd in that it left one impression that he could be back before long and another impression that he could be finished for the season.

1argoholic
08-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Someone on O better step up and give Ray some quality catches or the year will continue to be a struggle. Unreal how the cards are stacked against the O this year. Coombs looked so good and I wanted to see more.

paulwoods13
08-07-2014, 12:22 PM
I have to say that if there is one thing I really hate about sports, it is the randomness of injury. You can have the greatest team, or the greatest player at a particular position, and something fluky happens and your chances of winning go down or, in extreme cases, your season is ruined. I'm also a Red Wings fan and at one point late last season their top five (!) centres were out of the lineup. Now this. Makes it tough to have the usual high hopes for success.

doubleblue
08-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I have been wondering when they finally put Tonye-Tonye on the roster. I thought he played well last year as a rookie.

OV Argo
08-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I have to say that if there is one thing I really hate about sports, it is the randomness of injury. You can have the greatest team, or the greatest player at a particular position, and something fluky happens and your chances of winning go down or, in extreme cases, your season is ruined. I'm also a Red Wings fan and at one point late last season their top five (!) centres were out of the lineup. Now this. Makes it tough to have the usual high hopes for success.

You're not the Paul Woods who used to play for the Red Wings ? (I'm a long-time Detroit Red Wings fan too ;o))

paulwoods13
08-07-2014, 07:31 PM
You're not the Paul Woods who used to play for the Red Wings ? (I'm a long-time Detroit Red Wings fan too ;o))

Something else we have in common, eh OV? Sadly I never played in the NHL, but that PW was my fave player back in the day. I took one of his hockey cards and doctored it up with my own picture. Paul still does colour on RW radio broadcasts and I always really liked his low-key, factual style.

Argo
08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
That Zicarelli article on Owens was odd in that it left one impression that he could be back before long and another impression that he could be finished for the season.

Schrödinger's Flyin' Hawaiian ?

argotom
08-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks, Angelo. I may not be a fan of FZ's writing style, but I genuinely respect his consistent participation in Argos' media events. He asks a lot of questions! Some of his inquiries are less well thought out than I'd like, but I've seen no evidence that he has had to shoulder aside CFL experts before asking.

Argolio: Agreed!

I don't know why FZ appears to be disliked by some here, I have found his articles pretty much bang on and really refreshing.
Taking no prisoners and basically calling it like it is.

1argoholic
08-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Not a Red Wings fan but my favorite player for years was Micky Redmond. Now as I sit with my Lakers and Petes seasons Micky's banner hangs right over me at Memorial Centre. Pretty cool stuff.
Then I loved Sittler and Terry Martin who was voted one of the best small fighters in the NHL.

gilthethrill
08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Something else we have in common, eh OV? Sadly I never played in the NHL, but that PW was my fave player back in the day. I took one of his hockey cards and doctored it up with my own picture. Paul still does colour on RW radio broadcasts and I always really liked his low-key, factual style.

I suspect Paul was the Detroit fan that would attach a pylon to his head & antagonize poor Todd Gill at Joe Louis Arena every time the Leafs went there to play.

Will
08-08-2014, 10:23 AM
I suspect Paul was the Detroit fan that would attach a pylon to his head & antagonize poor Todd Gill at Joe Louis Arena every time the Leafs went there to play.

To be fair, Todd Gill wasn't the most popular guy in Toronto either until Pat Burns turned him into a serviceable NHL player.

gilthethrill
08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
To be fair, Todd Gill wasn't the most popular guy in Toronto either until Pat Burns turned him into a serviceable NHL player.

I was not critisizing Gill, I was a Leaf fan then & thought he was a hard nosed player....that fan in Detroit had a hate on for him though....

7dj83r8f78t4alf8