PDA

View Full Version : No OUA Football Games on Rogers Sportsnet360

argofandave
08-16-2014, 12:45 PM
A friend of mine who lives in Hamilton phoned me today to tell me that there is an article in today's Hamilton Spectator (www.thespec.com (http://www.thespec.com)) about Rogers Sportsnet360 not showing any OUA football games on TV until the playoffs. My friend also said that Guelph has made their stadium available for the Labour Day game if it can't be played at Tim Hortons Field.

argolio
08-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Another victim of Rogers overpaying for the NHL?

gilthethrill
08-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Will all those new TSN channels show CIS sports or just more NCAA/American sports? I love watching CIS football.

ArgoRavi
08-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Another victim of Rogers overpaying for the NHL?

Here is an explanation:

"According to OUA executive director Bryan Crawford and a number of university coaches and administrators, Rogers' massive new $5.2-billion, 12-year deal with the NHL has squeezed the OUA to the sidelines. With nearly all OUA games scheduled for Saturday afternoons — the same time most Sportsnet staff will now be preparing for hockey — he says there isn't the capacity to handle university football as well."

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4762463-rogers-sportsnet-switches-channels-on-oua-football/

Will all those new TSN channels show CIS sports or just more NCAA/American sports? I love watching CIS football.

TSN does not have the rights to CIS and they aren't interested in showing CIS without getting the championship games. The CIS should try to negotiate a settlement with Rogers to get out of the 6-year contract that they have and then hook up once again with TSN as Rogers' coverage certainly won't be improving over the next four years.

Deerkeeper
08-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Another reason to desise Rogers, as if we need any more. We are going to have - what is it now - 12 (I've lost count) sports stations in this country, all of them more than likely showing wall to wall NCAA, yet the two biggest feeder leagues in this country that supplies the players to the two leagues that Canadians care about the most, NHL & CFL are going to, and will continue to play in a virtual vaccum. Will somebody please explain to me how this country works and thinks?

The CIS should try to negotiate a settlement with Rogers to get out of the 6-year contract that they have and then hook up once again with TSN as Rogers' coverage certainly won't be improving over the next four years.

It would seem to me that those bas***ds at Rogers are breaking the terms of the contract. I would think that the CIS/OUA expected Rogers to broadcast a certain number of regular season games. If it wasn't was written down then it was probably agreed to in good faith. I wonder if there is enough there for CIS/OUA to void the contract, tell Rogers to go pound themselves, then negotiate anew with a more scrupulous broadcaster like TSN or even CHCH.

argofandave
09-05-2014, 03:58 PM
French CBC will be showing games from the Quebec Conference starting tomorrow with Bishop's at Concordia at 1pm.

Argocister
09-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Go to the OUA site. All the OUA games are on OUA.TV
Apparently you can watch a few games at a time. For more technical info ..... Check this thread ....
http://www.cisfootball.org/forums/showthread.php?11542-OUA-tv-the-thread

argofandave
09-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Rogers Sportsnet360 will be showing repeats of WWE Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown in place of OUA football.

Deerkeeper
09-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Go to the OUA site. All the OUA games are on OUA.TV
Apparently you can watch a few games at a time. For more technical info ..... Check this thread ....
http://www.cisfootball.org/forums/showthread.php?11542-OUA-tv-the-thread
Thing is, all those games all are locally produce university productions with one camera with a highly inexperienced operator, no replays and usually a colour guy who doubles as head cheerleader. They deserve better.

Argocister
09-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Thing is, all those games all are locally produce university productions with one camera with a highly inexperienced operator, no replays and usually a colour guy who doubles as head cheerleader. They deserve better.

They do deserve better, but this is what they've got. .... Only in Ontario .... Well I'm not sure what the AUS has.
We knew this was coming when rogers bought out Sportsnet and also when rogers committed its focus and monies to all the NHL games. At least they are going to produce the bowl games and Vanier. ..... Although their productions aren't much above the universities.
Sounds like some of the Uni productions aren't as bad as one thinks, but that's just from others that have watched them. They may have had lower expectations.

It would be nice for one of the TSN channels to follow, but they won't do that without having the playoffs and
Vanier ...... And the existing contract between CIS and Sportsnet is 5 years . ( this is the first) In addition, the CIS has packaged football on with all the sports so if anyone is picking up the football , they have to pick up all the sports. So if you want the Vanier etc , you have to buy them all.
The OUA package isn't strong enough on its own I guess. Funny how Shaw and RDS can do it for the CW and RESQ respectively. The OUA games last week averaged about 5000.

gilthethrill
09-06-2014, 10:19 AM
I am going to be attending the Laurier Waterloo game next Saturday afternoon. If I subscribed to SportsNet 360, I would be tempted to stay home and watch reruns of wrestling......ugh...

7dj83r8f78t4alf8