PDA

View Full Version : Argonauts fans plan Bon Jovi CD-burning party

ArgoRavi
08-16-2014, 10:42 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/08/16/argonauts_fans_plan_bon_jovi_cdburning_party.html

larz-7
08-16-2014, 10:54 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/08/16/argonauts_fans_plan_bon_jovi_cdburning_party.html
got to love ping

BATKINSON001
08-16-2014, 11:50 PM
i am hoping to go to this, depends on when my friends want to leave whatever place we end up at before the game.

Wobbler
08-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Do CDs actually burn when a flame is applied?

(Oh, wait)

Well, I couldn't make one burn with a match, which wasn't surprising - I think the substrate is mostly glass.

This protest concept doesn't seem well thought-out. Books and old media willl burn and melt respectively, but it's a new age! It would have been more appropriate to declare a "Bon Jovi deletion party" or better yet a "Bon Jovi streaming repudiation party".

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 12:21 AM
The point is that we cfl fans don't want the nfl in Toronto. It will kill the Argos.

Fumblitis
08-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Man U guys aren't messing around. Someone should send footage of that to a Buffalo newspaper.

paulwoods13
08-17-2014, 07:28 AM
The point is that we cfl fans don't want the nfl in Toronto. It will kill the Argos.

It won't happen any time soon so its a moot point, but I disagree that it would kill the Argos, and I think we all need to get over that notion. Our league is strong enough to withstand an NFL incursion into Canada. Obviously the Argos need to be in a better facility, but that is the case regardless of anything the NFL does or does not do.

T-Bone
08-17-2014, 09:49 AM
It won't happen any time soon so its a moot point, but I disagree that it would kill the Argos, and I think we all need to get over that notion. Our league is strong enough to withstand an NFL incursion into Canada. Obviously the Argos need to be in a better facility, but that is the case regardless of anything the NFL does or does not do.
Agreed. Also in my opinion this is negative publicity for the Argos and Argo fans. I think the majority of the general public will see this as pathetic.

ArgoGabe22
08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't see what a CD burning will do. What Argo fan listens to Bon Jovi in the first place? lol

Perhaps the Argos should hold it instead (joking of course)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I1CP1751wJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1argoholic
08-17-2014, 10:27 AM
The pathetic part is that people actually buy and listen to that shite. Please Ping don't pollute by burning crappy cd's. Ping will end up behind bars tonight after the fire fighters are called out.

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't see an issue with it which is why I am supporting it. Even if it seems a bit silly.

T-Bone
08-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Ping will end up behind bars tonight after the fire fighters are called out.
It's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if a camera crew is sent out as a result of the publicity surrounding this.

I don't see what a CD burning will do.
Exactly. Which is why I think most people are going to see this as pathetic.

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 10:41 AM
It's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if a camera crew is sent out as a result of the publicity surrounding this.

Exactly. Which is why I think most people are going to see this as pathetic.

supposedly the star is going to have someone there, I wouldn't mind being in the paper, as long as its a good thing.

T-Bone
08-17-2014, 10:43 AM
supposedly the star is going to have someone there, I wouldn't mind being in the paper, as long as its a good thing.
You can't control how the media spins this story or how the public will see it. Be prepared for the possiblity it won't be positive.

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 10:46 AM
You can't control how the media spins this story or how the public will see it. Be prepared for the possiblity it won't be positive.

yup. All we can do is try. I think one of the bills fan groups is also going to be there as well... No city should lose their pro sports team, or even have the prospect of it happening.

1argoholic
08-17-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't think the NFL will touch a deal with a Bon Jovi led group. Bills belong were they are. But please everyone don't burn just break your Bon Jovi cd's and recycle them if at all possible.

T-Bone
08-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Argos Fans vs. Bon Jovi…? (http://www.argosendzone.com/argos-fans-vs-bon-jovi/)

Argocister
08-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Argos Fans vs. Bon Jovi…? (http://www.argosendzone.com/argos-fans-vs-bon-jovi/)

100% it won't be positive because it's the Toronto Media
We should have a poll, negative or positive reporting ..... And then give them ideas for headlines ..... Like yours.

The positive reporting would be .... Argofans support Bills fans .......

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 12:27 PM
100% it won't be positive because it's the Toronto Media
We should have a poll, negative or positive reporting ..... And then give them ideas for headlines ..... Like yours.

You people are being negative on purpose... I am trying to remain optimistic about it...

T-Bone
08-17-2014, 12:30 PM
You people are being negative on purpose... I am trying to remain optimistic about it...
I would argue we are being realistic and you are being optimistic against the odds. I guess we will find out later tonight or tomorrow.

Ron
08-17-2014, 03:44 PM

That would be nice ... but

The protest is to keep the Bill/NFL out of Toronto. Nowhere did they say to keep the Bills in Buffalo. So this is not some Argo fans supporting Bills fans.

I do hope the effect and turnout is tiny. I don't want this to effect MLSE's interest in buying the team which appears divided enough right now.
I also hope the media doesn't tell the truth that this is a lame attempt by 20 of the Argos paltry 3500 season ticket holders to remain relevant in Toronto. (especially if tonight's game has a low attendance) But it gets the guys in the papers so they can have your Warhol moment.

Here's hoping the Argos win big and look good in the new uni's to help drown this media story out. ;)

Qman
08-17-2014, 05:16 PM
where is this happening. I have a bunch of cassette tapes.

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 06:00 PM
where is this happening. I have a bunch of cassette tapes.

Bremner and York beside hoops sports bar. East of skydome, west of air canada centre

LLB997
08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Agreed. Also in my opinion this is negative publicity for the Argos and Argo fans. I think the majority of the general public will see this as pathetic.

yes, lets pander to the judgemental masses. I'd be more inclined to acknowledge the person who cares less about this then the one who going to consider something so trivial as pathetic?? really????

That would be nice ... but

The protest is to keep the Bill/NFL out of Toronto. Nowhere did they say to keep the Bills in Buffalo. So this is not some Argo fans supporting Bills fans.

I do hope the effect and turnout is tiny. I don't want this to effect MLSE's interest in buying the team which appears divided enough right now.
I also hope the media doesn't tell the truth that this is a lame attempt by 20 of the Argos paltry 3500 season ticket holders to remain relevant in Toronto. (especially if tonight's game has a low attendance) But it gets the guys in the papers so they can have your Warhol moment.

Here's hoping the Argos win big and look good in the new uni's to help drown this media story out. ;)

The organizer never said anything about supporting the bills, He said they could be potential allies. What would be the point of promoting the Bills in Buffalo with this cd burning? Pretty sure Buffalonians could care less for the Argos.

1argoholic
08-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Is the fire still going so we can toss the girly Argo uni's in?

BATKINSON001
08-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Is the fire still going so we can toss the girly Argo uni's in? no. It was done before the start of the game.

Argo57
08-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Is the fire still going so we can toss the girly Argo uni's in?

Originally didn't mind the uniforms but the novelty wore off quickly, don't get the Argonaut reluctance to resurrecting the classic boat logo!!

larz-7
08-17-2014, 11:47 PM
So how did this all turn out .Was it a GOOD TURN OUT ?

Rich
08-18-2014, 01:51 AM
I don't want this to effect MLSE's interest in buying the team which appears divided enough right now.

Scene
Sunday Night, Spa Room, Tannenbaum Compound, Lake Muskoka. Larry Tannenbaum is enjoying an aromatherapy session when an assistant barges into the spa:

Assistant: I'm sorry, Mr. Tannenbaum, but I feel you must know there are some Argonaut fans burning Bon Jovi albums in protest!

Tannenbaum: (slowly stands then slams his aloe-infused towel onto the marble floor): Damn those Argonaut fans! Damn them all to hell! How dare they humiliate my friend Jonny! No stadium for the Argonauts! Ever!

Argo57
08-18-2014, 10:31 AM
no. It was done before the start of the game.

Sounds like a total waste of time, hard to be taken seriously when we can't even break the 20k attendance barrier for one game!!

1argoholic
08-18-2014, 10:38 AM
CFTO did a nice spot on the 11:30 news and it was about the third or forth story. They focused in on the wee hibachi, Ping and the few others there. A few cd's melting on an open fire. CFTO is by far the most professonal news in Canada.

BATKINSON001
08-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a total waste of time, hard to be taken seriously when we can't even break the 20k attendance barrier for one game!!then maybe you tv fans should actually go to the games!!!

AngeloV
08-18-2014, 12:34 PM
then maybe you tv fans should actually go to the games!!!

I think we should stop bickering about this event. Let's not get into a fight over who does and doesn't go to the games. IIRC, you mentioned that you watched the last game on TV, so someone like me that goes to every game can be just as hard on you as you were with your last comment towards Argo57. Regulars on this site are not the reason the teams attendance is poor.

I have neither good nor bad feelings about it (the CD burning event). If it made the guys that participated feel good, good on them, but I don't think it had a positive or negative effect on anything. Just a bunch of guys getting together and having fun.

BATKINSON001
08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
I think we should stop bickering about this event. Let's not get into a fight over who does and doesn't go to the games. IIRC, you mentioned that you watched the last game on TV, so someone like me that goes to every game can be just as hard on you as you were with your last comment towards Argo57. Regulars on this site are not the reason the teams attendance is poor.

I have neither good nor bad feelings about it (the CD burning event). If it made the guys that participated feel good, good on them, but I don't think it had a positive or negative effect on anything. Just a bunch of guys getting together and having fun.. I used that ticket from the peg game to get a ticket for my friend for Sunday... That's why I watched it on tv.

I will go to the home games unless I need to move tickets around to bring guests.

AngeloV
08-18-2014, 12:51 PM
. I used that ticket from the peg game to get a ticket for my friend for Sunday... That's why I watched it on tv.

I will go to the home games unless I need to move tickets around to bring guests.

That's fine..but the point I was trying to make was that you don't know the circumstances as to why people don't come to games. Obviously Argo57 is a big fan. Do you even know if he lives in the GTA? He posts here all the time and is very knowledgeable with his posts--something we can't say of everyone that posts here (by the way, do you know Ricky Ray sucks?).

Ballstothewall
08-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Here is the vedio from CFTO http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?binId=1.1476827. I applaud Pings passion for the Team, but I don't like or agree with the message that the Argos would fold if ever the NFL comes to town. In fact, if the same company owned both teams, the Argos would do very well. Regardless I don't think the NFLis ever coming for a numbers reason. Regarding this story however, I think Hell just froze over, as I agree with T-Bone, lord help us all

Argo57
08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
then maybe you tv fans should actually go to the games!!!

Maybe get your facts together before you comment, actually I have 4 season tickets and attend every game.

That's fine..but the point I was trying to make was that you don't know the circumstances as to why people don't come to games. Obviously Argo57 is a big fan. Do you even know if he lives in the GTA? He posts here all the time and is very knowledgeable with his posts--something we can't say of everyone that posts here (by the way, do you know Ricky Ray sucks?).

Thanks Angelo, not worried about it, I like this forum because we all care about this team and ultimately want them to be successful.
My point regarding the CD burning is IMO it reflects poorly on a fan base that can't even break the 20k barrier for one game as of yet this season.
Don't know who from this forum goes to games or not but at least they care enough to comment!!

Double Dare
08-19-2014, 06:40 AM
The CD burning was a This Hour Has 22 Minutes sketch ... right? :)

Rich
08-19-2014, 01:40 PM
(by the way, do you know Ricky Ray sucks?).

Only an idiot would say such a thing. Obviously nuance is completely lost on you.

AngeloV
08-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Only an idiot would say such a thing. Obviously nuance is completely lost on you.

I obviously was exaggerating, but...every time the Argos lose, there are quite a few "idiots" that come out basically implying this.

T-Bone
08-20-2014, 10:00 AM
I think Hell just froze over, as I agree with T-Bone, lord help us all
There's a first time for everything. I was keeping an eye out yesterday for any signs of the apocalypse.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8