PDA

View Full Version : Is Tim Leiweke Leaving MLSE?

T-Bone
08-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Elliotte Friedman says yes and Cathly Kelly says no: Tim Leiweke to leave president/CEO post with MLSE (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/tim-leiweke-to-leave-president-ceo-post-with-mlse-report-1.2740742)

I really hope Kelly is right in this case.

paulwoods13
08-19-2014, 01:57 PM
I would that despite his denials, Leiweke is not still part of MLSE when the first snowfall hits. If and when he goes, I hope the plan for BMO expansion to accommodate the Argos does not go with him.

ArgoRavi
08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
I would that despite his denials, Leiweke is not still part of MLSE when the first snowfall hits. If and when he goes, I hope the plan for BMO expansion to accommodate the Argos does not go with him.

Let's hope that those plans don't leave with him as you said, Paul. Jon Bon Jovi, on the other hand, will hopefully leave with him. BTW, I like how Leiweke says that he is "fully committed to the season at hand". Which season is that, Tim? TFC's current season?

T-Bone
08-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Tim Leiweke denies report he's leaving MLSE (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/tim-leiweke-denies-report-hes-leaving-mlse/article20112902/)

The planned sale of the CFL's Toronto Argonauts to MLSE, and their inclusion in a reimagined BMO Field, went sideways when Leiweke could not secure federal government help with the project.

AngeloV
08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
If and when he goes, I hope the plan for BMO expansion to accommodate the Argos does not go with him.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read this on twitter. Tweeted Mike Hogan for his views and he responded that it depends who has more pull between Rogers and Bell.

Tau Ceti
08-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Lieweke can get stuff done quickly and if for no other reason than that he's good to have on board. A replacement means losing time, time, time, which the Argos don't have.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read this on twitter. Tweeted Mike Hogan for his views and he responded that it depends who has more pull between Rogers and Bell.

Does Rogers want out and Bell want to keep him?

ArgoRavi
08-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Lieweke can get stuff done quickly and if for no other reason than that he's good to have on board. A replacement means losing time, time, time, which the Argos don't have.

Does Rogers want out and Bell want to keep him?

Leiweke has set the wheels in motion for the BMO Field renovation to accommodate the Argos. I am not sure how much more he can do at this point though. I think what Hogan may be alluding to in that tweet to AV is that Rogers has no interest in the Argos/CFL while Bell obviously has an enormous amount at stake. It could be that Leiweke is getting frustrated trying to navigate the waters between Bell and Rogers. From reading between the lines of what Leiweke has said in his "denial" and what other reporters/columnists were saying on Twitter, Leiweke will likely be back in southern California within the next year.

QBall
08-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Leiweke would leave a bit of a mess if he ups and splits in the next year. The Leafs still aren't going anywhere. The Raptors made the playoffs last year and then bowed out in the first round and haven't made any moves to improve their chances next season. The east in the NBA, in general, won't be the shit show they were last year. TFC has spent so much money bringing in names without any change in TV ratings that I'd be surprised if they ever turn a profit. All the money spent so far on renovating BMO and nothing started. If Leiweke leaves then MLSE if going to have to bring someone in who's going to continue Leiweke's plan or bring someone in to hack and slash or raise and gouge to improve the bottom line. The Toronto sports scene: Never a dull moment! or Why every sports writer wants to work here!

T-Bone
08-21-2014, 10:37 AM
MLSE boss Tim Leiweke clearly eyeing exit door, despite denials (http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/08/19/mlse_boss_tim_leiweke_clearly_eyeing_exit_door_des pite_denials_arthur.html)

shayman
08-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Yes, yes he is.

Wait, MLSE has confirmed that he's not leaving, he's staying! (Until he leaves in 2015.)

OK he's leaving.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mlse-looking-for-new-ceo-after-leiweke-confirms-plans-to-leave/article20150118/?click=sf_globe#dashboard/follows/

QBall
08-21-2014, 10:48 PM
I wonder if Mark Cohon is in the running as a replacement? Would be fantastic news for the Argos if that happened.

paulwoods13
08-22-2014, 08:33 AM
It's lovely, and natural, to fantasize about Cohon taking over MLSE and brokering a deal to get the Argos into that org and into BMO. But let's look at a more likely scenario. Whoever takes over MLSE will have one overriding mandate: to increase profits. Not by the $1M or so that the Argos might add to the bottom line, but by tens of millions per year. Solving the Argo problem will be extremely low on the priority list of the next MLSE CEO, even if it is Mark Cohon.

QBall
08-22-2014, 12:48 PM
It's lovely, and natural, to fantasize about Cohon taking over MLSE and brokering a deal to get the Argos into that org and into BMO. But let's look at a more likely scenario. Whoever takes over MLSE will have one overriding mandate: to increase profits. Not by the $1M or so that the Argos might add to the bottom line, but by tens of millions per year. Solving the Argo problem will be extremely low on the priority list of the next MLSE CEO, even if it is Mark Cohon.

Considering the Argos' TV ratings are vastly superior to TFC's and the Raptors, plus the fact the Argos didn't require an infusion of $100 million (MLSE probably could have bought the entire CFL eastern division for that amount) to purchase two players to keep a franchise from dying, I would think it would be a pretty easy job to convince at least the Bell and Tannenbaum side of the board that purchase of the Argos makes cents (pun!). Obviously Rogers is evil and would be the hurdle needed to overcome to get MLSE to purchase the Argos (not counting old man Braley trying to squeeze every last dime out of the Argos before selling). #CohonforMLSEpres

paulwoods13
08-22-2014, 01:24 PM
My point is it does not make enough "cents" to be a high priority. MLSE is into stuff other than sports including real estate development, restaurants and retail. Buying a company that would contribute maybe $1M a year profit but would cost at least $10M (the amount the feds have said is not available for Argo-related stadium expansion) would make it a "do-later" type of move, IMO. I just think people should not think of Cohon as some sort of instant Argo saviour if he ends up with MLSE. I bet he would bend over backwards to focus on other priorities at first.

Rich
08-23-2014, 02:51 AM

Sorry, Paul, WTF are you talking about $1M in profits for the Argos with MLSE at BMO? We're talking 10 or 11 dates with about 25,000 tickets sold, no stadium rental costs, 100% of concessions, and probably higher ticket prices. Putting the Argos into BMO is not just solving an Argo problem, it makes damn good business sense for MLSE, having just dropped $100M on renovations for the place.

paulwoods13
08-23-2014, 09:02 AM
I think $1M in annual profit is realistic. If it's more than that, great. But this is a team that has almost certainly lost millions of dollars every year since 1991, so I will hold off on expecting to instantly make millions of dollars if they are purchased by MLSE and move into BMO.

AngeloV
08-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I think $1M in annual profit is realistic. If it's more than that, great. But this is a team that has almost certainly lost millions of dollars every year since 1991, so I will hold off on expecting to instantly make millions of dollars if they are purchased by MLSE and move into BMO.

It is realistic. I believe the Argos are likely losing about $3M annually. Paying no rent and actually making money off of the concessions would be great, but I'm also pretty sure that their marketing costs would likely go up, and betting they would also spend to the top of the cap...two things I am pretty sure are well below the league average right now.

ArgoRavi
08-23-2014, 07:58 PM
This is a good article with comments from Braley about the effects that Leiweke's departure will have on the Argos (not much): http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/08/21/tim_leiwekes_departure_wont_hurt_argos_future_owne r_says.html

R.J
08-24-2014, 02:09 AM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/22/report-leiweke-to-head-up-olympic-bid-in-los-angeles/

T-Bone
09-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Leiweke discusses plans for life after MLSE (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tim-leiweke-future-plans-mlse-stubhub/)

ArgoRavi
09-12-2014, 05:57 PM
When Leiweke claims that the Raptors will eclipse the Leafs in popularity in 10 years, it tells me that this guy really doesn't understand the Toronto market.

T-Bone
10-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Source: Canadian TV Exec approached by MLSE to replace Leiweke (http://www.tsn.ca/source-canadian-tv-exec-approached-by-mlse-to-replace-leiweke-1.117738)

Gill The Thrill
11-09-2014, 05:00 PM
When Leiweke claims that the Raptors will eclipse the Leafs in popularity in 10 years, it tells me that this guy really doesn't understand the Toronto market.

I agree with Lieweke Ravi, Toronto has changed immensely from the city that you or I grew up with. Demographically it is practically a different city with many of it's new citizens from the last several decades who've moved here being either unwilling or unable to relate to hockey and the Maple Leafs the way previous new residents of Toronto did in the past.

Some of it is related to how bad the Leafs product has become on the ice, but even that's irrelevant in relation to how indifferent many new residents feel about the Leafs or even worse, the sport of hockey. Other than immigrants who come from Eastern Europe, many others have no background with the sport whatsoever...and before people may be up in arms and ready to label my statements, let me clarify that recent immigrants from Western Europe, an area where many immigrants have come from for over 100 years to Canada are even not as willing to watch the Leafs and Hockey. I've met several several British immigrants that have not grown up with hockey and don't care to learn about it, seeing as they can get thier soccer fix every Saturday and Sunday morning and afternoon from both TSN and Sportsnet, let alone the full smattering of Champions' League games and International matches also. The few TFC games I've watched live, I've always noticed people speaking English with a not so North American accent. I know it's not the full story, and know that HNIC has shown games in Punjabi for several years, but the Raptors are every bit on par with the Leafs if not more popular in many ethnic and racial communities in Toronto.

I think it's conceivable that the Raptors could become more popular than the Leafs and if the NHL had the wisdom to forshadow this, they may actually stem this tide by placing another NHL team sooner or later in the GTA to raise the profile of the NHL away from just the MLSE product of the Leafs and their minor league Marlies. This could further entrench hockey as the #1 sport in Toronto, and not just among multi-generational Canadians living in the 905. Heck, even some of the kids growing up in these areas are turning on hockey and favouring Basketball because of how poor the Leafs have been over the last decade. (2 playoff appearances over the last 11 years)

Argo57
11-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I agree with Lieweke Ravi, Toronto has changed immensely from the city that you or I grew up with. Demographically it is practically a different city with many of it's new citizens from the last several decades who've moved here being either unwilling or unable to relate to hockey and the Maple Leafs the way previous new residents of Toronto did in the past.

Some of it is related to how bad the Leafs product has become on the ice, but even that's irrelevant in relation to how indifferent many new residents feel about the Leafs or even worse, the sport of hockey. Other than immigrants who come from Eastern Europe, many others have no background with the sport whatsoever...and before people may be up in arms and ready to label my statements, let me clarify that recent immigrants from Western Europe, an area where many immigrants have come from for over 100 years to Canada are even not as willing to watch the Leafs and Hockey. I've met several several British immigrants that have not grown up with hockey and don't care to learn about it, seeing as they can get thier soccer fix every Saturday and Sunday morning and afternoon from both TSN and Sportsnet, let alone the full smattering of Champions' League games and International matches also. The few TFC games I've watched live, I've always noticed people speaking English with a not so North American accent. I know it's not the full story, and know that HNIC has shown games in Punjabi for several years, but the Raptors are every bit on par with the Leafs if not more popular in many ethnic and racial communities in Toronto.

I think it's conceivable that the Raptors could become more popular than the Leafs and if the NHL had the wisdom to forshadow this, they may actually stem this tide by placing another NHL team sooner or later in the GTA to raise the profile of the NHL away from just the MLSE product of the Leafs and their minor league Marlies. This could further entrench hockey as the #1 sport in Toronto, and not just among multi-generational Canadians living in the 905. Heck, even some of the kids growing up in these areas are turning on hockey and favouring Basketball because of how poor the Leafs have been over the last decade. (2 playoff appearances over the last 11 years)

What will ultimately turn the tide in the Raptors favour is their on court success in the next 3-5 years, fans (especially the younger generation) gravitate to winning teams.

AngeloV
11-09-2014, 05:16 PM

It seems to me that many of the immigrants when we were growing up were from Italy, Greece, Portugal and other western European countries. I don't believe there was a great hockey history there. Raptors may turn out to be very popular, but they will never in most of our life times eclipse the popularity of the Leafs in this city or country.

ArgoRavi
11-09-2014, 06:05 PM
The only way I can see the Raptors eclipsing the Leafs is if they become a championship-calibre team like the Blue Jays did once upon a time. However, as we subsequently saw with the Jays, much of that support was on the "soft" side and once they returned to mediocrity, many of those fans left. In other words, maybe the Raptors can eclipse the Leafs for a short time as the Jays did but I can't see it over the long-term.

argolio
02-24-2015, 05:57 PM
I heard recently there's a chance Liewicki might stay for at least another year.

T-Bone
02-24-2015, 06:00 PM
I heard recently there's a chance Liewicki might stay for at least another year.
I really hope that is the case. He has been nothing but good for MLSE in my opinion.

Neely2005
02-24-2015, 08:38 PM
I really hope that is the case. He has been nothing but good for MLSE in my opinion.

What? The leafs and TFC have had 0 success and fired their coaches, again. And the much heralded Jermaine Defoe signing turned into a huge fiasco.

T-Bone
02-24-2015, 08:50 PM
What? The leafs and TFC have had 0 success and fired their coaches, again. And the much heralded Jermaine Defoe signing turned into a huge fiasco.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Neely2005
02-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Built? He took what shouldn't have even been able to be worse, and made it worse.

Ron
02-25-2015, 12:58 AM

The Raptors success flushed your credibility down the Maple Leaf toilet. ;)

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 07:45 AM
The Raptors success flushed your credibility down the Maple Leaf toilet. ;)

Aren't the Raptors doing about the same as they were before he got here? They have still won 0 playoff rounds under his tenure. Only in Toronto would that be considered a success.

T-Bone
02-25-2015, 09:03 AM
The Raptors are doing about the same as they were before he got here and have still won 0 playoff rounds under his tenure. Only in Toronto would that be considered a success.
I'm curious, since playoff round wins appear to be your only definition for a teams success why do you think it is fortunate that neither Barker nor Milanovich left the Argos? They took a Grey Cup winning team to a team that didn't make the playoffs last season.

In my definition there is on and off field success and Leiweke has done quite a bit off the field for the betterment of MLSE as a whole in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour is true that the lack of playoff round wins is why Leiweke will stay though. He seems like he genuinely wants the teams to be success both on and off the field.

Going back to this, using my definition of success here are some of things I see as positive since Leiweke joined MLSE.

Despite the firing of Nelson and Defoe not working out, TFC had their best winning record in team history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_FC_seasons). Though Defoe turned out to be "a huge fiasco" as you put it, it was still a big move and move I don't think I would have seen if it wasn't for Leiweke. Things don't always work out and it's unfortunate that Defore turned out to be unprofessional off the field but when he was on the field he was great. Also he helped boost ticket and jersey sales and got a bunch of media attention for the team both here and in Europe. Ultimately the team made money selling him, so I would say that things worked out as best they could considering the circumstances.

Now I know you don't see the Raptors making the playoffs last season for the first time since 2008 as success but I see that as a step in the right direction. Off the field the Raptors appear to have a bigger presence in the Toronto media since Leiweke's arrival. Bringing Drake in to promote the team whether you like or not was a good move for the team and I believe that was mostly handled by Leiweke.

I don't follow the Leafs that closely and unfortunately it does look like things have gone off the rails there. If Leiweke does stay I'm curious to see what he will do though. Like I said earlier he seems to genuinely want on and off field success for his teams and he is willing to make bold moves to try and achieve it.

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm curious, since playoff round wins appear to be your only definition for a teams success why do you think it is fortunate that neither Barker nor Milanovich left the Argos? They took a Grey Cup winning team to a team that didn't make the playoffs last season.

In my definition there is on and off field success and Leiweke has done quite a bit off the field for the betterment of MLSE as a whole in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour is true that the lack of playoff round wins is why Leiweke will stay though. He seems like he genuinely wants the teams to be success both on and off the field.

Going back to this, using my definition of success here are some of things I see as positive since Leiweke joined MLSE.

Despite the firing of Nelson and Defoe not working out, TFC had their best winning record in team history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_FC_seasons). Though Defoe turned out to be "a huge fiasco" as you put it, it was still a big move and move I don't think I would have seen if it wasn't for Leiweke. Things don't always work out and it's unfortunate that Defore turned out to be unprofessional off the field but when he was on the field he was great. Also he helped boost ticket and jersey sales and got a bunch of media attention for the team both here and in Europe. Ultimately the team made money selling him, so I would say that things worked out as best they could considering the circumstances.

Now I know you don't see the Raptors making the playoffs last season for the first time since 2008 as success but I see that as a step in the right direction. Off the field the Raptors appear to have a bigger presence in the Toronto media since Leiweke's arrival. Bringing Drake in to promote the team whether you like or not was a good move for the team and I believe that was mostly handled by Leiweke.

I don't follow the Leafs that closely and unfortunately it does look like things have gone off the rails there. If Leiweke does stay I'm curious to see what he will do though. Like I said earlier he seems to genuinely want on and off field success for his teams and he is willing to make bold moves to try and achieve it.

Barker & Milanovich have won a Grey Cup and have gotten to an Eastern Final. To me that's successful. Winning a championship will always get you more leeway.

I've never said that MLSE isn't successful off field. They're probably the most successful ownership group off field. They make tons of money. As a fan I don't care about that. I care about on field performance and MLSE is probably the least successful ownership group on the field.

Your definition of sucess is different than mine then. As a fan I care about championships and playoff wins. I don't care about jersey sales and that the team made money on selling Defoe. When they start giving me some of that money is when I'll start caring about how much money they make and how successful they are off the field.

T-Bone
02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Barker & Milanovich have won a Grey Cup and have gotten to an Eastern Final. To me that's successful. Winning a championship will always get you more leeway.

I've never said that MLSE isn't successful off field. They're probably the most successful ownership group off field. They make tons of money. As a fan I don't care about that. I care about on field performance and MLSE is probably the least successful ownership group on the field.

Your definition of sucess is different than mine then. As a fan I care about championships and playoff wins. I don't care about jersey sales and that the team made money on selling Defoe. When they start giving me some of that money is when I'll start caring about how much money they make and how successful they are off the field.
You seem to care a lot about TV ratings and attendance. Anyway, with out success off the field there may not be success on the field because there may not be a team, both are important. As for making money on Defoe, that goes back in to buying new players which will hopefully help on field success. I also want to see my teams make the playoffs and win championships but if that's all I cared about I would be a LA Galaxy fan and a Yankees fan as well as an Argo fan.

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 02:03 PM
You seem to care a lot about TV ratings and attendance. Anyway, with out success off the field there may not be success on the field because there may not be a team, both are important. As for making money on Defoe, that goes back in to buying new players which will hopefully help on field success. I also want to see my teams make the playoffs and win championships but if that's all I cared about I would be a LA Galaxy fan and a Yankees fan as well as an Argo fan.

And with success on the field there is usually success off the field. In fact most teams are only successful off the field if they are successful on the field.

Somehow MLSE seems to have been able to find enough suckers... er I mean leaf fans that they're successful off field no matter how bad they are on the field/ice. It's probably why the leafs never really get better. MLSE knows that they'll sellout no matter what so there's no real incentive to win and no real repercussions to losing.

AngeloV
02-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Somehow MLSE seems to have been able to find enough suckers... er I mean leaf fans that they're successful off field no matter how bad they are on the field/ice.

We're not suckers. We're just loyal fans that don't look at the standings first when determining which teams to cheer. The Argos have had some pretty crappy years over the last 20. Did you stop cheering for them during those lean years?

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
We're not suckers. We're just loyal fans that don't look at the standings first when determining which teams to cheer. The Argos have had some pretty crappy years over the last 20. Did you stop cheering for them during those lean years?

There's a difference between cheering and spending money on tickets, parking, concessions, merchandise... as long as people keep spending money on the leafs they have no real incentive to improve.

AngeloV
02-25-2015, 04:16 PM
There's a difference between cheering and spending money on tickets, parking, concessions, merchandise... as long as people keep spending money on the leafs they have no real incentive to improve.

Average people don't for the most part. Just like the Rangers continued to sell out in the 70's and 80's despite not winning a cup (in a 6 team league of a good part of those years I might add) between 1940 and 94. Toronto is the corporate capital of Canada, as New York is in the U.S. Tickets will always be sold.

Sorry, but to call the average fan a sucker for chearing their team is just stupid. You don't have to like them, as I don't care for the Blue Jays. But I would not call their loyal fans suckers.

T-Bone
02-25-2015, 04:33 PM
as long as people keep spending money on the leafs they have no real incentive to improve.
I honestly think Leiweke does want things to change which is part of why I think he has been good for MLSE. Like I said before I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour is true that the lack of playoff round wins is why Leiweke will stay. I don't think he wants to leave with the way things they are now.

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Average people don't for the most part. Just like the Rangers continued to sell out in the 70's and 80's despite not winning a cup (in a 6 team league of a good part of those years I might add) between 1940 and 94. Toronto is the corporate capital of Canada, as New York is in the U.S. Tickets will always be sold.

Sorry, but to call the average fan a sucker for chearing their team is just stupid. You don't have to like them, as I don't care for the Blue Jays. But I would not call their loyal fans suckers.

The majority keep buying leaf merchandise or leaf TV or leaf licence plates... look at teams like the Bruins, the Blackhawks or to a lesser degree even the Canadiens in the 80's. The teams got better after people stopped buying tickets to the games. It's not a coincidence. It was incentive to ownership. The leaf fans that continue to buy tickets to watch a franchise that has been a laughing stock for most of the last 48 years are suckers IMO.

Also just an FYI but the last time that the leafs won there were also only 6 teams. They haven't even made it to a Cup Final since 1967.

I honestly think Leiweke does want things to change which is part of why I think he has been good for MLSE. Like I said before I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour is true that the lack of playoff round wins is why Leiweke will stay. I don't think he wants to leave with the way things they are now.

Didn't his wife move back to LA months ago? I can't see him staying if that's the case.

AngeloV
02-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Also just an FYI but the last time that the leafs won there were also only 6 teams. They haven't even made it to a Cup Final since 1967.

I understand that. I was referring in my post to the fact that the Rangers went 27 consecutive years of 6 team league hockey without winning the cup.

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 07:18 PM
I understand that. I was referring in my post to the fact that the Rangers went 27 consecutive years of 6 team league hockey without winning the cup.

Ah, okay.

Not sure that you want to go into it but that was mainly due to the recruiting system at the time that was set up in a way that favoured the Canadian teams. The Entry Draft leveled the playing field.

AngeloV
02-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Ah, okay.

Not sure that you want to go into it but that was mainly due to the recruiting system at the time that was set up in a way that favoured the Canadian teams. The Entry Draft leveled the playing field.

I think you entirely missed the point. We were talking about teams that didn't have success, but continued to play in front of packed houses. You know..as you called them..suckers.

Neely2005
02-25-2015, 08:03 PM
I think you entirely missed the point. We were talking about teams that didn't have success, but continued to play in front of packed houses. You know..as you called them..suckers.

Yes they too were suckers. Albeit at a much lower price point back in 1927. :-)

Argocister
02-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Didn't his wife move back to LA months ago? I can't see him staying if that's the case.

Maybe life is good now for both Leiweke and his wife ..... and the last phone call may have been....."This is working out babe, why don't you stay there":D

argolio
02-25-2015, 11:04 PM
The majority keep buying leaf merchandise or leaf TV or leaf licence plates... look at teams like the Bruins, the Blackhawks or to a lesser degree even the Canadiens in the 80's. The teams got better after people stopped buying tickets to the games. It's not a coincidence. It was incentive to ownership. The leaf fans that continue to buy tickets to watch a franchise that has been a laughing stock for most of the last 48 years are suckers IMO.The majority of Leaf tickets, and likely the vast majority of the best ones, are sold to corporations (13,000 is one estimate I've heard). If "ordinary" Leaf fans stopped buying tickets, MLSE would feel it far less than Boston, Chicago, or Montreal.

T-Bone
02-26-2015, 07:16 AM
That was reported back in August as speculation that he was leaving. It was later confirmed that he was leaving in June of this year. I'm not sure where Leiweke's wife is now.

Also, this thread is supposed to be about Leiweke not about bashing the Leafs, the Rangers, and their fans. Please try to stay on topic, thank you.

Neely2005
02-26-2015, 07:24 AM
The majority of Leaf tickets, and likely the vast majority of the best ones, are sold to corporations (13,000 is one estimate I've heard). If "ordinary" Leaf fans stopped buying tickets, MLSE would feel it far less than Boston, Chicago, or Montreal.

You don't think that corporations own the majority of tickets in cities like Boston, Chicago and Montreal too?

That was reported back in August as speculation that he was leaving. It was later confirmed that he was leaving in June of this year. I'm not sure where Leiweke's wife is now.

Also, this thread is supposed to be about Leiweke not about bashing the Leafs, the Rangers, and their fans. Please try to stay on topic, thank you.

Yeah I was asking because a couple of weeks ago on Prime Time Sports they said that she has already moved back to LA.

Double Dare
02-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Maybe life is good now for both Leiweke and his wife ..... and the last phone call may have been....."This is working out babe, why don't you stay there":D Actually they indulge in sexting.

argolio
02-26-2015, 11:52 PM
You don't think that corporations own the majority of tickets in cities like Boston, Chicago and Montreal too?No chance their corporate support compares to the Leafs. I bet only the Rangers are in the same neighbourhood.

Neely2005
02-27-2015, 07:38 AM
No chance their corporate support compares to the Leafs. I bet only the Rangers are in the same neighbourhood.

I find that hard to believe, especially since Chicago is bigger than Toronto. (Population)

AngeloV
02-27-2015, 01:20 PM
I find that hard to believe, especially since Chicago is bigger than Toronto. (Population)

But we're talking major corporate headquarters of these companies. The majority of US corp head offices are in NYC. Then you also have to factor in that hockey is the #4 sport in that market. The majority of whatever corporate dollars go out to sports in that market will go to the Bulls, Bears, Cubs and even White Sox before the Blackhawks. Always have and always will.

rdavies
02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
One thing I'll say is that publicly Leiweke has stood up to some vehement opposition about Argos to BMO. He seems to be championing it and also most of the soccer people like him because he is sincerely trying to build a winner there as well. Can't be easy trying to appease everybody but that's his job and he seems to be succeeding at keeping everybody happy (save a few RedPatch Girls) who are being unreasonable.

rdavies
02-28-2015, 05:24 PM
I should preface this post by saying that I am an original V from the early days when the Voyageurs were hosted at U of A. The RedPatch group are Johnny-come-latelys to me.

I have been chastised as sexist for calling them RedPatchGirls. I guess that is true because no girl would act as babyish as a few of them have. Oops, I shouldn't have said babyish that's ageist.

They've been around five minutes and act as if they own the place. I just read a post saying they don't care that the Argos are the oldest team in NA and hoping they fold. Well, I've been a Canadian soccer fan long before most of them were even born and I just say a big FU to some (not all) of them and hope that the Argos to BMO deal finally comes to fruition.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8