PDA

View Full Version : John Candy True Double Blue

R.J
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Was posted on the old forum, figured it should be here as well. TSN really needs to bring this out on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, I'd buy it right away.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xn1tn7_candy_videogames

AngeloV
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I've watched it at least 5 times, and each time I get a huge hate-on for Bruce Mcnall and the biggest phony that ever lived--Brian Cooper. Candy was truly one of the boys, and I really wished he had owned the team with people that were as passionate about it as he was.

Will
02-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I've heard that before he died, Candy was trying to line up investors to replace McNall and Gretzky after they decided that they wanted out. Were these just rumors or something more, and were there any rumors about who was going to invest?

I enjoyed the documentary, again it's unfortunate that circumstances occurred after the 1991 season that have lasting effects until today in Argo land. The team declined and people got swept up by the Blue Jays winning two World Series.

R.J
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I've watched it at least 5 times, and each time I get a huge hate-on for Bruce Mcnall and the biggest phony that ever lived--Brian Cooper. Candy was truly one of the boys, and I really wished he had owned the team with people that were as passionate about it as he was.
I know what you mean Av, I've seen it quite a few times, also have it saved on PVR and my computer, was very well done and still doesn't do enough justice to John Candy. Have a question though, what is it that Brian Cooper did ? I understand the hate for McNall, but don't remember much about Cooper.

1argoholic
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
John Candy was the most down to earth great guy. He sat at a game in Ottawa a row below us and a few seats over and every few minutes we'd start an Uncle Buck chant and he'd get up and wave. That's when I got my Argo hand towel thingy signed by him.

gilthethrill
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Candy also did a mean Darryl Sittler impersonation on SCTV..Joe Flaherty portrayed Guy LaFleur...dead ringers both of 'em.

AngeloV
02-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Have a question though, what is it that Brian Cooper did ? I understand the hate for McNall, but don't remember much about Cooper.

It's something that I can't really explain, but even when things were great in Argoland in '91, I didn't care for Cooper. He really struck me as a big phony, and I didn't care for his cop out answer of "I was just doing what his boss told me to do" when he informed Candy the team was for sale.

argolio
02-21-2012, 01:14 AM
what is it that Brian Cooper did ?I believe he's got a PhD in putting his lips to rich people's butts.

llb9977
02-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Was posted on the old forum, figured it should be here as well. TSN really needs to bring this out on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, I'd buy it right away.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xn1tn7_candy_videogames

thanks so much for the link, been looking for the Candy doc. for a while.

Will
02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
John Candy was the most down to earth great guy. He sat at a game in Ottawa a row below us and a few seats over and every few minutes we'd start an Uncle Buck chant and he'd get up and wave. That's when I got my Argo hand towel thingy signed by him.

That's the general sense I get from the documentary. I met Wayne Gretzky once a long time ago and he was friendly, but I don't know how accessible he was as Argo owner.

argolio
02-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I met Wayne Gretzky once a long time ago and he was friendly, but I don't know how accessible he was as Argo owner.I think Gretzky was just along for the ride and added some star power. I don't put any blame on him.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8