PDA

View Full Version : The Dan Patrick Show replaced on TSN 1050

R.J
02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/
Gameday with Scott MacArthur takes over the time-slot from 9-12. Finally some original and Canadian programming in that slot. Now hopefully Hayes (Argo fan my butt) gets the boot as well, can't stand that guy.

gilthethrill
02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Gameday with Scott MacArthur takes over the time-slot from 9-12. Finally some original and Canadian programming in that slot. Now hopefully Hayes (Argo fan my butt) gets the boot as well, can't stand that guy.

I agree with your post.

Will
02-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Does anybody know Scott MacArthur's feelings towards the CFL?

ArgoRavi
02-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Isn't it sad that we CFL fans have to ask this question? NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL fans never have to ask whether a particular media figure is into their league or not but unfortunately we do.

Will
02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm still listening to the FAN more often then not I admit.

AngeloV
02-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Good news. I like MacArthur. I agree completely on Hayes. He would be more at home on the Fan with pukes like Greg Brady. But what do you expect from John Derringer's nephew? Also great to see Hogan get a regular time slot. He and Tatti really seem to work well together the few times I have heard them in the last few weeks.

AngeloV
02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
He likes and knows the CFL well. He hosted the Argos radio broadcasts that weren't TSN TV simulcasts (as Hogan was doing PBP) this year, and from what I remember, did a good job.

gilthethrill
02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe Patrick did not have enough Leaf-NHL content?? Get ready for 3 more hours of Leafs..followed by Blue Lunch at noon...:)

argotom
02-22-2012, 11:14 PM
I find myself not listening on a steady basis to either, as TSN Radio and Fan 590 is basically 1 and 1a.
Both virtually going hockey, hockey and way over the top hockey.
With very little if anything to do with our league.

AngeloV
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Maybe Patrick did not have enough Leaf-NHL content?? Get ready for 3 more hours of Leafs..followed by Blue Lunch at noon...:)

I actually like Patrick's show. Glad to see he's on tape delayed at 11pm now.

AngeloV
02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I find myself not listening on a steady basis to either, as TSN Radio and Fan 590 is basically 1 and 1a.
Both virtually going hockey, hockey and way over the top hockey.
With very little if anything to do with our league.

I don't know what you're looking for. Hockey is the most popular sport in this country. Of course there is going to be over the top hockey coverage. Personally, I think TSN radio covers the CFL quite well, with the exception of Hayes.

Will
02-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Sports radio stations in Canada talking about hockey? You don't say?

Sarcasm aside, there's only so much time that one can spend discussing the CFL off-season, I really hate to say it!

It'll be much more fair to make another analysis in September when the CFL season is in full swing.

argotom
02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Sports radio stations in Canada talking about hockey? You don't say?

Sarcasm aside, there's only so much time that one can spend discussing the CFL off-season, I really hate to say it!

It'll be much more fair to make another analysis in September when the CFL season is in full swing.

Ok that's your opinion.
So why then this afternoon while flipping channels I go to TSN radio and guess what the Bills coach was scheduled to be interviewed and to discuss the NFL combines?
Maybe my luck, but why not interview Milanovich instead and talk about the more relevant CFL combines.
Duh!

Will
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Maybe because the NFL combines are taking place this week while the CFL combine isn't for another week?

R.J
02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Going to have to agree with argotom here, after picking up Ray, then the news of Rudge taking over, there has been barely any CFL coverage (including CFL FA). The NFL season has been over for 2 weeks and yet within those 2 weeks I've heard more about that league than the CFL, which has made quite a lot of noise this off season. CFL FA has been a flop in this market IMO, but check the Hamilton media, with all the changes the Ticats have made the past few months and it's still being talked about today. Cortez is still being hyped up, everyone is still wondering if Medlock is coming back, Grant being ready to go for the season etc. Fantuz only made headlines this weekend, and that is obviously helping coverage and talk even more now.

To the point of Hockey, IMO the amount of hockey coverage is ridiculous, and its only getting worse with TSN 1050. Something is really wrong with the media in this area, Fan590 focuses too much on baseball and the NFL,then you have TSN 1050 which can't go 15 minutes without something hockey. The only positive I can think of is that the Rock are getting more coverage then they have in over 5 years.

argotom
02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Maybe because the NFL combines are taking place this week while the CFL combine isn't for another week?

Who gives a rats rectum.

argotom
02-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Going to have to agree with argotom here, after picking up Ray, then the news of Rudge taking over, there has been barely any CFL coverage (including CFL FA). The NFL season has been over for 2 weeks and yet within those 2 weeks I've heard more about that league than the CFL, which has made quite a lot of noise this off season. CFL FA has been a flop in this market IMO, but check the Hamilton media, with all the changes the Ticats have made the past few months and it's still being talked about today. Cortez is still being hyped up, everyone is still wondering if Medlock is coming back, Grant being ready to go for the season etc. Fantuz only made headlines this weekend, and that is obviously helping coverage and talk even more now.

To the point of Hockey, IMO the amount of hockey coverage is ridiculous, and its only getting worse with TSN 1050. Something is really wrong with the media in this area, Fan590 focuses too much on baseball and the NFL,then you have TSN 1050 which can't go 15 minutes without something hockey. The only positive I can think of is that the Rock are getting more coverage then they have in over 5 years.

I agree with you.
It is so ridiculous for me as well that I simply do not listen and merely check out the content only just like mentioned previously.
Hockey, hockey, over the top hockey.
Thankfully there is only 24 hours in a day.
And please some of you save me form how we are a hockey nation?
Says who and even if true, what the hell does that insecure statement imply.

ArgoRavi
02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I must admit that I don't listen to sports talk radio or even watch the sports highlight shows as much as I used to because I simply am not interested in sitting through 20 minutes of talk about hockey games like Tampa vs. Nashville or Phoenix vs. Columbus that I couldn't care less about. I just look for my CFL material online so that I don't have to sit through all of the clutter.

argotom
02-24-2012, 07:41 PM
I must admit that I don't listen to sports talk radio or even watch the sports highlight shows as much as I used to because I simply am not interested in sitting through 20 minutes of talk about hockey games like Tampa vs. Nashville or Phoenix vs. Columbus that I couldn't care less about. I just look for my CFL material online so that I don't have to sit through all of the clutter.

Exactly.
Today for example in the Toronto Sun, who has covered the Argos and the CFL the best of all papers here in the city, there are count em 3 full pages on the NFL combines with a writer in Indy.
Nothing on the CFL evaluation camp, and only a couple paragraph listing in the Barnes signing.
How pathetic.

Deerkeeper
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Exactly.
Today for example in the Toronto Sun, who has covered the Argos and the CFL the best of all papers here in the city, there are count em 3 full pages on the NFL combines with a writer in Indy.
Nothing on the CFL evaluation camp, and only a couple paragraph listing in the Barnes signing.
How pathetic.

Likely the same media hacks who think we are all agog over March Madness, which is going to start all too soon from now. I know we are all just chomping at the bit to hear what unknown collage beat some other obscure collage to win some backwater conference to move on to play some other rinky-dink school in the next round. If the American media makes a big deal about it then the Canadian media has to as well. Goes with the territory.

UncleFester
02-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree there is too much hockey talk everywhere. I am sick of the Leafs and talk of the Leafs.....and I am a hockey fan. It's incredible how the state of the team (mediocre at best and likely missing the playoffs AGAIN) does not directly reflect on the amount of coverage they receive. No matter how badly they suck it's all Leaf Nation all the time! I think 1050 TSN does a better job of Argo/CFL coverage than 590 which is why I don't listen to 590 any longer.

AngeloV
02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
I agree there is too much hockey talk everywhere. I am sick of the Leafs and talk of the Leafs.....and I am a hockey fan. It's incredible how the state of the team (mediocre at best and likely missing the playoffs AGAIN) does not directly reflect on the amount of coverage they receive. No matter how badly they suck it's all Leaf Nation all the time! I think 1050 TSN does a better job of Argo/CFL coverage than 590 which is why I don't listen to 590 any longer.

As sad as it is, unless the Argos start drawing bigger crowds (forget sellouts, how about 80% capacity of their 30,000 seat configuration?) things are not going to change. The Leafs are and always will be the #1 priority for the stations. There really is no use whining about it.

I still have a hard time with people complaining about TSN in regards to the Argos and CFL. Any true Argo fan really must realize that TSN is the biggest advertisement not only the team, but the entire league gets. The NHL makes them more money. Just live with it.

argotom
02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
As sad as it is, unless the Argos start drawing bigger crowds (forget sellouts, how about 80% capacity of their 30,000 seat configuration?) things are not going to change. The Leafs are and always will be the #1 priority for the stations. There really is no use whining about it.

I still have a hard time with people complaining about TSN in regards to the Argos and CFL. Any true Argo fan really must realize that TSN is the biggest advertisement not only the team, but the entire league gets. The NHL makes them more money. Just live with it.

It's not whining about the Leafs or hockey, its the overwhelming over the top coverage in the media overall.
To the point that for me anyway it has completely turned me off from hockey and other nonsensical US sporting also over the top coverage.
In fact, some posters here who are self professed hockey fanantics have also had enough.

Will
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM

I agree!

While it's true the Blue Jays don't draw much more than 20,000 per game, the fact is they have THE BIG MACHINE behind them, something that the Argos haven't had in a very long time.

Will
02-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Yup, I remember last year I couldn't watch Sportsnet without seeing the mass marketing that Rogers put behind the Blue Jays, it was worse then the NHL Trade Deadline, that's what the Argos need behind them, but with the popularity of the NFL and the perception of the CFL it will never happen for the Argos.

Well certainly as long as the Argos are not owned by one of the major media conglomerates in Canada.

R.J
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Well certainly as long as the Argos are not owned by one of the major media conglomerates in Canada.Hit it right on the nose.

Will
02-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Hit it right on the nose.

Or like the Maple Leafs have enough resources to put their own TV station together.

R.J
03-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Um I thought MacArthur was supposed to be a CFL fan, according to his show today, he's an MLB, NHL and NFL guy. Also according to him with the Leafs crapping it, the Raps well continuing their downfall and NO NFL team, this year could be the year for the Jays to build their fanbase and bring back the popularity of the team in the 90's. There was no mention of the Argos, TFC, or Rock, didn't realize we only had 3 teams in Toronto, am I the only one ?

ArgoRavi
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Um I thought MacArthur was supposed to be a CFL fan, according to his show today, he's an MLB, NHL and NFL guy. Also according to him with the Leafs crapping it, the Raps well continuing their downfall and NO NFL team, this year could be the year for the Jays to build their fanbase and bring back the popularity of the team in the 90's. There was no mention of the Argos, TFC, or Rock, didn't realize we only had 3 teams in Toronto, am I the only one ?

Everybody is going gaga over the Jays' spring training record which means absolutely nothing. No Toronto GM has the media wrapped around their finger more than this Anthopolous character.

argotom
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Having experienced myself by listening to the "new 1050", there is absolutely no difference between Fan 590 other then the broadcast of the Argos games.
Both are wannabe US sports stations.
That's diguisting to me and should be to the many CFL and Argos fans here in the GTA.

R.J
03-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Having experienced myself by listening to the "new 1050", there is absolutely no difference between Fan 590 other then the broadcast of the Argos games.
That's diguisting to me and should be to the many CFL and Argos fans here in the GTA.
But, but, but............ TSN is the best friend the league and Argos have ever had lol.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that see's this, IMO people really need to open their eyes when it comes to the Toronto/Canadian media. Also people should check out 1290 Winnipeg or 990 Montreal it's the same things loads of NFL, NCAA, and MLB talk, Winnipeg is by far the best of the 3 when it comes to CFL coverage/talk.
Anyone else also notice that ever since Bell and Rogers got into bed together to buy MLSE, there are a lot more Rogers promos on CTV, TSN, 1050, not to mention that Blue Jays and baseball coverage has gotten considerably better. Even MLS coverage has gotten loads better, I don't even know what to say anymore, it's only going to get worse IMO.

gilthethrill
03-29-2012, 08:12 PM

argotom you are correct. Daytime TSN radio is nothing but Leafs, NHL at nausiam. Maybe when CFL kicks off we will get. A bit of CFL coverage for a change. I can't stand MacArthur or Hayes.

argotom
03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
argotom you are correct. Daytime TSN radio is nothing but Leafs, NHL at nausiam. Maybe when CFL kicks off we will get. A bit of CFL coverage for a change. I can't stand MacArthur or Hayes.

I hope you are correct, but somehow I doubt it.

argotom
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
But, but, but............ TSN is the best friend the league and Argos have ever had lol.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that see's this, IMO people really need to open their eyes when it comes to the Toronto/Canadian media. Also people should check out 1290 Winnipeg or 990 Montreal it's the same things loads of NFL, NCAA, and MLB talk, Winnipeg is by far the best of the 3 when it comes to CFL coverage/talk.
Anyone else also notice that ever since Bell and Rogers got into bed together to buy MLSE, there are a lot more Rogers promos on CTV, TSN, 1050, not to mention that Blue Jays and baseball coverage has gotten considerably better. Even MLS coverage has gotten loads better, I don't even know what to say anymore, it's only going to get worse IMO.

I agree with you.
It was bad before, but now seems even more so now that BellMedia(TSN) and Rogers are sleeping the the same bed.
Would anyone therefore be surprised and call me a conspiracy theorist, if there was some sort of a agreement by these monopolies to specifically ignore or marginalize the CFL?

paulwoods13
03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
I agree with you.
It was bad before, but now seems even more so now that BellMedia(TSN) and Rogers are sleeping the the same bed.
Would anyone therefore be surprised and call me a conspiracy theorist, if there was some sort of a agreement by these monopolies to specifically ignore or marginalize the CFL?

Conspiracy theorist, or maybe just plain nuts. Bell is going to deliberately ignore or marginalize the second-biggest sports property it owns (after NHL rights)? Yeah, that would be an absolutely brilliant business strategy.

gilthethrill
03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Just FYI, Calgary HC & GM John Hufnagle & CFL Commisioner Mark Cohon (repeat from Cybulski show) will be aired on TSN radio tonight at 9pm on Game Day with Mike Hogan & Jim Tatti.

AngeloV
03-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Everybody is going gaga over the Jays' spring training record which means absolutely nothing. No Toronto GM has the media wrapped around their finger more than this Anthopolous character.

If there's one thing I hate, it's a sports exec that kisses the media's behinds. I'm embarrassed for myself and the rest of the Greek community. Who does he think he is, anyways? The Doug McLean of baseball?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8