PDA

View Full Version : All three Argos who headed to NFL in off-season make their teams

ArgoRavi
08-30-2014, 04:57 PM
If anyone was expecting Dontrelle Inman, Marcus Ball, or Neiko Thorpe to return to the Argos this season, they will be disappointed. Inman has made the Chargers, Ball the Saints, and Thorpe the Oakland Raiders. Don't be surprised to see Thorpe play a lot in the defensive backfield for Oakland this season: http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/5649/raiders-unearth-possible-gem-in-thorpe

argolio
08-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Thorpe must have had a great camp because he looked horrible in their final pre-season game.

Looks like Chris Matthews made Seattle. Cordarro Law was cut by San Diego, and Chris Williams by Chicago.

Argo57
08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Thorpe must have had a great camp because he looked horrible in their final pre-season game.

Looks like Chris Matthews made Seattle. Cordarro Law was cut by San Diego, and Chris Williams by Chicago.

Call Williams and investigate if he is interested in coming to Toronto, had great success in 2012 with Daley as ST Coordinator in the Hammer.

If anyone was expecting Dontrelle Inman, Marcus Ball, or Neiko Thorpe to return to the Argos this season, they will be disappointed. Inman has made the Chargers, Ball the Saints, and Thorpe the Oakland Raiders. Don't be surprised to see Thorpe play a lot in the defensive backfield for Oakland this season: http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/5649/raiders-unearth-possible-gem-in-thorpe

Not surprised regarding Ball and Inman both are quality football players, Thorpe obviously took advantage of a weak Raiders roster to make the team (good for him).

Fumblitis
08-30-2014, 08:55 PM

Looks like Chris Matthews made Seattle. Cordarro Law was cut by San Diego, and Chris Williams by Chicago. Nope. Unfortunately Matthews was cut.

paulwoods13
08-30-2014, 08:59 PM
I was skeptical about Ball making it (thought he was too much in-between a strong safety and a free safety), so he certainly proved me wrong. The Saints are deep at safety so I think he will play mostly on special teams and maybe some dime packages as a kind of combo OLB-safety.

Chris Williams' rights revert to the Ticats under the agreement that allowed him to go to the NFL, so the Argos cannot contact him directly. Austin has already said he'd like to have him back in Hamilton, but I bet he will wait out the rest of this season and become a total free agent.

ArgoRavi
08-31-2014, 12:21 AM
Chris Williams' rights revert to the Ticats under the agreement that allowed him to go to the NFL, so the Argos cannot contact him directly. Austin has already said he'd like to have him back in Hamilton, but I bet he will wait out the rest of this season and become a total free agent.

I am very surprised that Williams didn't make it, especially as Trestman knows only too well what he can do. Might he still end up on Chicago's PR?

jerrym
09-01-2014, 02:50 PM
I was skeptical about Ball making it (thought he was too much in-between a strong safety and a free safety), so he certainly proved me wrong. The Saints are deep at safety so I think he will play mostly on special teams and maybe some dime packages as a kind of combo OLB-safety.

With Williams' quarrel with the Ticats over salary and going to the NFL, I think that's likely to happen. I'd love to see him as an Argo in the future.

Gill The Thrill
09-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Good for Inman and Thorpe...the Raiders have been one of the poorer NFL teams since 2001 in terms of talent so it's not surprising Thorpe could make that roster despite possibly looking bad in the final pre-season game. I have to admit I thought Inman was kind of soft whenever he was closely covered and could not always fight for a ball. I know he had a stint with Jacksonville and may have played a full season or had been on the roster for a full year before joining the Argos. I'm not expecting him to be an every down receiver but you never. Good for him for making the 53 man roster.

Stouffvillain
09-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Very happy for Inman, Ball and Thorpe.

I'd take Williams here, especially with the injuries this season. No way Hamilton trades him to us though. Then it came down to beating out Spurlock which apparently he couldn't do. It doesn't really surprise me since coaches often go for what they know.

Plus Williams is TINY compared to even the small receivers on the Bears at 5'7" 175lbs. They probably didn't trust his body not to get hurt.

AngeloV
09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Very happy for Inman, Ball and Thorpe.

I'd take Williams here, especially with the injuries this season. No way Hamilton trades him to us though. Then it came down to beating out Spurlock which apparently he couldn't do. It doesn't really surprise me since coaches often go for what they know.

Plus Williams is TINY compared to even the small receivers on the Bears at 5'7" 175lbs. They probably didn't trust his body not to get hurt.

I agree. Williams IMO was in the same boat as Weston Dressler was. With no waggle, and the bigger DB's lining up a few inches from him, he would likely have been manhandled in at the line. His only real shot to make the NFL was as a kick returner.

ArgoGabe22
12-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Inman made his first NFL catch last night. He had seven catches for 79 yards overall and made a key catch on 4th and 10 which set up the game tying touchdown.

argos1873
12-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Inman made his first NFL catch last night. He had seven catches for 79 yards overall and made a key catch on 4th and 10 which set up the game tying touchdown.

Darnit, I was actually watching that game last night, one of the few NFL games I've watched this year, not realizing Inman was playing for the Chargers. I missed the last quarter and a half, and didn't see anything of him. I missed the Chargers complete their comeback too. For an NFL game, what I saw was pretty entertaining I must say. I would have watched to the end if my feed didn't cut out.

AngeloV
12-21-2014, 08:45 PM

It's pretty funny...because I was actually asking my buddy if maybe he'd be back with the Argos next year based on his inactivity this season. Good for him. He made a huge catch late in the game giving the Chargers a first down in the red zone and leading to the game tying score.

OV Argo
12-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Argo draft pick Luke Willson just made a beauty 80 yard catch & run TD for the Seahawks - guy has some wheels for a big TE - DBs could not catch him from behind.

Another in a line of oops, too bad Argo draft picks, but gotta cheer for them in the NFL - Willson got a Super Bowl ring last year; Federkeil played some for a good Colts team (got a SB ring though don't believe he dressed in that game); Nick Kaczur was a very strong OT on a good Patriots team for a few years (don't think he was a on one of their SB wins though).

Think i'll start working on an all-time Argo property to the NFL all-star team list: Theissman at QB, McQuay at RB, Greer, Inman at receiver, etc.

:snack:

OK, so here it goes = quickly off the top of my head (need some help filling in): Argo property (including draft picks) FIRST,then to the NFL

QB - Joe Theissman

RB - (tie) - Leon McQuay & Gil Fenerty

Receiver - Terry Greer, Rocket Ismail, Dontrelle Inman,

TE - ML Harris

O-Line - Noah Jackson, Mike Wilson, Mike Obrovac, Mike Kiselak, Nick Kaczur

D-Line: Marlon Jones, Earl Wilson,

LB - Rick Razzano, Darryl Ford, Cory Greenwood

DB - Eric Harris, Johnnie Harris, Marcus Ball,

Punter - Hank the Shank or the Big Z (i believe both were Argos before they played in the NFL É)

PK - Dean Dorsey (was he with the Argos before playing for the Eagles.É)

doubleblue
12-22-2014, 04:58 AM
Argo draft pick Luke Willson just made a beauty 80 yard catch & run TD for the Seahawks - guy has some wheels for a big TE - DBs could not catch him from behind.

Another in a line of oops, too bad Argo draft picks, but gotta cheer for them in the NFL - Willson got a Super Bowl ring last year; Federkeil played some for a good Colts team (got a SB ring though don't believe he dressed in that game); Nick Kaczur was a very strong OT on a good Patriots team for a few years (don't think he was a on one of their SB wins though).

Think i'll start working on an all-time Argo property to the NFL all-star team list: Theissman at QB, McQuay at RB, Greer, Inman at receiver, etc.

:snack:

OK, so here it goes = quickly off the top of my head (need some help filling in): Argo property (including draft picks) FIRST,then to the NFL

QB - Joe Theissman

RB - (tie) - Leon McQuay & Gil Fenerty

Receiver - Terry Greer, Rocket Ismail, Dontrelle Inman,

TE - ML Harris

O-Line - Noah Jackson, Mike Wilson, Mike Obrovac, Mike Kiselak, Nick Kaczur

D-Line: Marlon Jones, Earl Wilson,

LB - Rick Razzano, Darryl Ford, Cory Greenwood

DB - Eric Harris, Johnnie Harris, Marcus Ball,

Punter - Hank the Shank or the Big Z (i believe both were Argos before they played in the NFL É)

PK - Dean Dorsey (was he with the Argos before playing for the Eagles.É)

How about DT Bruce Clarke, RB Cookie Gilchrest and WR Tommy Kane.

gilthethrill
12-22-2014, 08:35 AM

I don't think Gilchrest played in the NFL, but in the old AFL...OV you could do an all Argo WFL team....Leo Cahill GM, Willie Wood HC, Tony Adams QB, former Argo HC Dennis Meyer FS, Anthony Davis RB...that's a start....

OV Argo
12-22-2014, 09:06 AM

Bruce Clark for sure - maybe one of the all-time most talented Argo D-Linemen (went on to Pro Bowl status with the Saints in the NFL); Kane played in the NFL FIRST and then showed up for the Argos years later - but he was an Argo draft pick- on that list - with the likes of Kaczur, Tim Biakabauka, Mark Montreuil

doubleblue
12-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Bruce Clark for sure - maybe one of the all-time most talented Argo D-Linemen (went on to Pro Bowl status with the Saints in the NFL); Kane played in the NFL FIRST and then showed up for the Argos years later - but he was an Argo draft pick- on that list - with the likes of Kaczur, Tim Biakabauka, Mark Montreuil

The list keeps growing, wasn't there an Argo draft pick named Marcus Koch a DT who played for Washington. I forgot about Montreuill, I believed he played about four seasons with San Diego but gave up Football rather then come to the Argos, after being released.

paulwoods13
12-22-2014, 01:01 PM

Was Biakabatuka an Argo draft pick? For some reason I thought someone else had his CFL rights. Montreuil was a guy I always hoped would join the Argos. I'm also trying to remember who originally owned Glenn Young's rights. I think Hamilton drafted him and traded his rights to us -- may be wrong on that, tho.

ArgoRavi
12-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Was Biakabatuka an Argo draft pick? For some reason I thought someone else had his CFL rights. Montreuil was a guy I always hoped would join the Argos. I'm also trying to remember who originally owned Glenn Young's rights. I think Hamilton drafted him and traded his rights to us -- may be wrong on that, tho.

Biakabatuka was a late round pick by the Argos. OV has forgotten Mike Vanderjagt on his list. As for Young, I am pretty sure you are correct, Paul. His rights came to the Argos as part of a trade with Hamilton in 1994 IIRC. I believe that Reggie Slack went from Toronto to Hamilton while the Argos received a defensive lineman whose name escapes me who played the rest of that season in Toronto before signing in the NFL himself and playing there for a few years.

AngeloV
12-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Biakabatuka was a late round pick by the Argos. OV has forgotten Mike Vanderjagt on his list. As for Young, I am pretty sure you are correct, Paul. His rights came to the Argos as part of a trade with Hamilton in 1994 IIRC. I believe that Reggie Slack went from Toronto to Hamilton while the Argos received a defensive lineman whose name escapes me who played the rest of that season in Toronto before signing in the NFL himself and playing there for a few years.

The DL first name escapes me, but I believe his last name was Fields and wore #95.

Edit: Looked it up..it was Jeff Fields.

ArgoRavi
12-22-2014, 02:03 PM
The DL first name escapes me, but I believe his last name was Fields and wore #95.

Thanks, AV! I think that his name was Jeff Fields and I am pretty sure you are correct about his number. I thought that he played longer in the NFL than he did and am surprised he never came back up to the CFL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Fields

AngeloV
12-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks, AV! I think that his name was Jeff Fields and I am pretty sure you are correct about his number. I thought that he played longer in the NFL than he did and am surprised he never came back up to the CFL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Fields

Funny..I couldn't find it when I googled Argos history and his name, but when I google Ti-Cats history and his name, had no problem finding info on him. The Argos website sure is not Alumni friendly.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8