PDA

View Full Version : Commenting on media coverage

paulwoods13
09-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Along with many other posters on this forum, I have often commented on media coverage of the Argos and the CFL. Having worked for many years in the media (with the Canadian Press news agency, and also some freelance reporting for the Sun), I hoped that I could bring a sort of "former/quasi-insider" perspective to these discussions, for better or worse.

As some of you may be aware, I have just accepted a position with the Toronto Star, as executive editor. As a result, I will no longer be commenting in public forums about media coverage. It would not be appropriate to do so, as any comments I make might be (wrongly) construed as representing the views of my employer.

I realize this note may seem unnecessary or self-serving, but I felt it would be best to be open about this change, at least for the benefit of those posters who have become accustomed to me participating in discussions about media coverage. I'll still be interested to read the views of others, but will do so in silence rather than as a contributor to the discussion.

I don't think I will feel constrained from commenting on matters related to football, but I will let that sort itself out in the coming days.

gilthethrill
09-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Congratulations Paul, I am sure you will do a fine job!

Downtownfan
09-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes, indeed, congratulations! That's great news. I have to ask: Does this mean you will have any influence in shaping Argos/CFL coverage in the newspaper? You may not be able to reply in this public forum, but I figured I would try...

Argocister
09-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Congratulations Paul on your new position! Hope it provides you with some enjoyable times and challenges.

Hopefully, commenting on football is all we need to do ..... I hate commenting on media, that's not what I come here to do.
Thank you for letting us know where you stand .... If you hadn't commented about your situation I probably would have wondered if you were agreeing with us or not.

ArgoRavi
09-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Congrats, Paul! The Star definitely hired a person who knows his stuff.

T-Bone
09-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Congratulations and all the best in your new position.

jerrym
09-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Congratulations, Paul. Simply by being your fair-minded self, you will improve the Star's often condescending attitude to the Argos.

D-Gap-Willie
09-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Congratulations Paul. I hope that you flourish in your new position, which I am sure will have more than its share of challenges. I am sure that you are up to it. As my father always said, " Don't lower you standards"

7dj83r8f78t4alf8