PDA

View Full Version : PTS just now. McGown and Brunt are confident........

VANRIDERFAN
09-10-2014, 05:55 PM
.... that the Argos are toast. That MLSE does not want them and that Braley will throw the keys to the League to figure out.

Since I am an outsider, how close are these two to the truth? I am really concerned for the future of your team.

Will
09-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I just listened to the segment myself. It was supposed to be about their employers' failure to purchase the Buffalo Bills, but instead seemed to focus on the Argonauts. They've been on the "No MLSE, No BMO" party line for quite awhile. It is difficult to say because McCown didn't really cite a source for saying that Braley is about to hand the keys over to the CFL. I don't think anyone is in denial about the unfortunate situation the Argonauts are in, but you'll find that many are still skeptical of anything a Rogers employee says about the Canadian Football League.

Fumblitis
09-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Is there a link to that segment?

Will
09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Is there a link to that segment?

Probably will be soon enough. Just hold tight for awhile and someone ought to post it.

R.J
09-10-2014, 07:46 PM
PTS September 10th 5pm hour.
skip ahead to 40:35
http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140910_175438--Prime-Time-Sports---September-10---5pm.mp3

Fumblitis
09-10-2014, 08:29 PM
PTS September 10th 5pm hour.
skip ahead to 40:35
http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140910_175438--Prime-Time-Sports---September-10---5pm.mp3Thanks! You know you would think that losing the NFL dream that they want to watch some sort of professional football. It seems like the media in Toronto is even more hostile towards the CFL now. Even when Tim and Sid interviewing that reporter from Buffalo yesterday they were grilling this guy about how the possibility that Pegula could sell the team in the future. As I was watching the video footage of this interview Tim and Sid looked
dejected as they just lost out on the only possibility they ever had for Toronto to have the NFL. Even the write up in the Globe and Mail today the guy had to take shots at Terry Pegula about how poorly the Sabres are on ice and how bad the Bills will be because he's bitter because the Bills we're staying put and not coming to Toronto.

argofandave
09-10-2014, 10:02 PM
I learned 25 years ago when SkyDome opened that NFL fans in the Toronto area believe that the only professional football worth watching is the NFL. They absolutely believe that the only thing stopping the NFL from putting a team in Toronto is the existence of the Argos and the sooner the Argos die, the sooner an NFL team will come to Toronto. Somewhere in this forum, I posted an article from the Toronto Sun and written in 1989 by Steve Simmons who called for a boycott of Argo games in order to kill the Argos and get an NFL team in Toronto.

argotom
09-10-2014, 10:10 PM
As some one said on another board McClown is a joke and his sidekick Brunt is no better.
Why do we keep quoting these idiots as the league and Argo bashing is way over the top?

Fumblitis
09-10-2014, 10:31 PM
I learned 25 years ago when SkyDome opened that NFL fans in the Toronto area believe that the only professional football worth watching is the NFL. They absolutely believe that the only thing stopping the NFL from putting a team in Toronto is the existence of the Argos and the sooner the Argos die, the sooner an NFL team will come to Toronto. Somewhere in this forum, I posted an article from the Toronto Sun and written in 1989 by Steve Simmons who called for a boycott of Argo games in order to kill the Argos and get an NFL team in Toronto.The logic is mind boggling. One of the many reasons Winnipeg got the Jets back was because of the tremendous support of the Manitoba Moose of the AHL prior to that proved that Winnipeg was starved for pro hockey.

AngeloV
09-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Well that's what happens when the TIFF crowd all of the sudden turn their attention to sports. They know nothing about it, but think they do.

Unfortunately, that is what Toronto has become.

Neely2005
09-10-2014, 10:54 PM
The logic is mind boggling. One of the many reasons Winnipeg got the Jets back was because of the tremendous support of the Manitoba Moose of the AHL prior to that proved that Winnipeg was starved for pro hockey.

And where are the Manitoba Moose today?

Qman
09-10-2014, 11:33 PM
why even listen to McClown anymore. What's with brunt .. he's turned into ed rogers bitch ... in fact all the reporter that have moved over their have lost all their credibility.

rdavies
09-10-2014, 11:42 PM
why even listen to McClown anymore. What's with brunt .. he's turned into ed rogers bitch ... in fact all the reporter that have moved over their have lost all their credibility.I hate to say it, but as a former person in the biz, I think the above is becoming truer all the time. The problem isn't so much what is being reported but what isn't. Sins of omission not commission.

I for one thought Brunt was the best thing since sliced bread but since going to Rogers I have changed my opinion. And it is not because I disagree with him. It's more like they know what they can say and what they can't and they choose to take the company position.

ArgoRavi
09-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Even when Tim and Sid interviewing that reporter from Buffalo yesterday they were grilling this guy about how the possibility that Pegula could sell the team in the future. As I was watching the video footage of this interview Tim and Sid looked
dejected as they just lost out on the only possibility they ever had for Toronto to have the NFL.

While you never want to say never, the reality is that the NFL in Toronto people have probably blown the best chance that they have ever had and may have for a very long time. That is probably why they were looking so sullen. Furthermore, people like Tim and Sid, Eric Smith, and Greg Brady see the NFL as their entree into the media "big leagues". They are well aware, for instance, of the great press box food that they get in the NFL. Now it seems unlikely that they will ever get a chance to enjoy that sort of thing unless Rogers sends them to cover an NFL game in the U.S.

I hate to say it, but as a former person in the biz, I think the above is becoming truer all the time. The problem isn't so much what is being reported but what isn't. Sins of omission not commission.

I for one thought Brunt was the best thing since sliced bread but since going to Rogers I have changed my opinion. And it is not because I disagree with him. It's more like they know what they can say and what they can't and they choose to take the company position.

Brunt has to be feeling a little embarrassed these days as he was the leading voice in the Toronto sports media corps about how the Bills were almost certainly moving to Toronto after people lined up for blocks for tickets to the Bills in Toronto series. He couldn't be more wrong on both counts and it has to hurt.

I used to like him at the Globe and Mail and am pretty sure that I defended him in the past when he worked for that newspaper. However, he is a different reporter/columnist now since he moved to Rogers and has much less credibility in my books. BTW, it isn't like the Bills to Toronto thing is the first big thing that he has gotten wrong. Brunt had the CFL pretty much killed off just prior to the '96 Grey Cup (although, in fairness, others did too).

BATKINSON001
09-11-2014, 12:15 PM
I still think that McGowan is making much of this anti-cfl anti-argos stuff up. Brunt too (I really should get around to burning his grey cup book i got with my 2012 tickets)...

1argoholic
09-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Not sure why everyone was pissed at their comments. They weren't putting down the Argos or CFL. They were simply being very matter of fact in this particular segment. It's looking very grim to say the least for our Argonauts. Unfriggin believable really. It's like a really bad nightmare but nobody is stepping up to solve anything.
They also suggested that the TO NFL dream is DEAD!!!

I for one am more and more turned off by the huge NFL marketing machine who does it's best to sweep serious issues under the table. I'll be watching less and less NFL with it's criminals making way too much coin. I can't support a league where it's ok to bash women yet if you smoke a joint you're lucky to keep your job.

Invader
09-11-2014, 01:00 PM
McClown claimed some anonymous Rogers employee emailed him the gate count of an Argo game earlier this season...of 9,500. Then Rash contradicted him in a tweet a few days later, that there were only 6,500 in attendance. Another example was Damien Cox saying on PTS the day after GC100 that the Argos averaged only 13,000 fans in 2012 and claimed to have some inside knowledge, nodding his head smiling, saying "I know!" That was the same show where PTS theorized Braley was on the take and used his political influence to get rich off the CFL. Let's also not forget the series of angry tweets from Rash after the CBA was ratified, claiming the CFL had no right to exist (paying its players so little, risking concussions.)

Commissioner Cohon's image took a big hit in the media during the CBA, along with the CFL (which may have precipiatated Cohon's decision to leave)...mainly from Rogers employees and their media friends (remember SportsNets slickly-produced graph charts comparing CFL and NFL salaries?) The CFL was portrayed as a cheapie, skinflint operation, which may have adversely affected fan support across the country this season.

Always consider the source (or lack thereof) when reading about the Argos. Did Milanovich really say he wants to quit the team because of ownership and stadium issues? If true, wouldn't that undermine his position with his players this season ("I still want you guys to go out and work hard and stuff, but me? I'm outta here!" ;)) That Milanovich "rumour" has been widely quoted in media across Canada, naming "sources." I guess we don't have to look very far to reveal the "sources" of these negative Argo stories.

Antwon
09-11-2014, 01:09 PM
The facts are it's looking very grim right now no matter who talks about it.
Some people want to blame the previous owners C&S. But I remember reading that C&S were committed to York, Varsity, or the eventual BMO field.
But they were convinced by Braley and his cash handouts to stay at the dome. If this is true then Mr. Braley needs to get this sorted out before he walks away.

I know MLSE my not want to buy the team, but why doesn't Bell just buy them. A healthy Toronto team only helps their TSN property.
And can the city force MLSE to make BMO accommodate football as well??

Mulder
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Which gives further to the speculation that the only reason why MLSE hasn't bought the Argos is because of Rogers.

ArgoRavi
09-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I know MLSE my not want to buy the team, but why doesn't Bell just buy them. A healthy Toronto team only helps their TSN property.

I have been wondering the same thing, Antwon. I am not sure why Bell doesn't just step up on its own and buy the team.

Invader
09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Some people want to blame the previous owners C&S. But I remember reading that C&S were committed to York, Varsity, or the eventual BMO field.
But they were convinced by Braley and his cash handouts to stay at the dome. If this is true then Mr. Braley needs to get this sorted out before he walks away.

I don't agree the Argo fortunes are grim. They just moved into a new training centre and practice facility in Downsview this week, which has a picture-perfect fieldturf field. So no longer can they claim the Argos are "nomadic".

The Argos have a contract to play in Skydome through 2017, so that's 3 more years after this 2014 season. Braley said relocation talks with MLSE will resume soon. There was a tweet last night that MLSE has opened the door again and that they could be close to agreement. So there is no panic and it's not looking grim.

If the talks with MLSE fall through (despite MLSE being directed by the City of Toronto to accommodate the Argos at BMO and forwarding $10 million towards the project), then the Argos will have to find somewhere else to play.

Braley's Lions built a 27,500-seat temporary stadium in Vancouver for $15 million (it was actually paid for by the province), which they played out of for 2 seasons. The builder said the stadium could be made permanent with concrete foundations. All the Argos need is a municipality to donate the land and some infrastructure.

Another option might be to construct grandstands at the Argos new practice field in Downsview? This would be an easy build and looks like the site was designed for that upgrade from the outset. There is also York's Pan-Am stadium which could be expanded. So all hope is not lost. ;)

Mulder
09-11-2014, 01:53 PM
I have been wondering the same thing, Antwon. I am not sure why Bell doesn't just step up on its own and buy the team.

Bell on it's own likely doesn't have the experience to run a pro sports organization.

It also comes with the question: Why don't you let the sports and entertainment company you own run the Argos?

It would be cheaper for Bell if MLSE owned/Ran them as opposed to setting up a new division in a company. This is why we know Rogers is the one blocking this deal.

I don't agree the Argo fortunes are grim. They just moved into a new training centre and practice facility in Downsview this week, which has a picture-perfect fieldturf field. So no longer can they claim the Argos are "nomadic".

The Argos have a contract to play in Skydome through 2017, so that's 3 more years after this 2014 season. Braley said relocation talks with MLSE will resume soon. There was a tweet last night that MLSE has opened the door again and that they could be close to agreement. So there is no panic and it's not looking grim.

If the talks with MLSE fall through (despite MLSE being directed by the City of Toronto to accommodate the Argos at BMO and forwarding $10 million towards the project), then the Argos will have to find somewhere else to play.

Braley's Lions built a 27,500-seat temporary stadium in Vancouver for $15 million (it was actually paid for by the province), which they played out of for 2 seasons. The builder said the stadium could be made permanent with concrete foundations. All the Argos need is a municipality to donate the land and some infrastructure.

Another option might be to construct grandstands at the Argos new practice field in Downsview? This would be an easy build and looks like the site was designed for that upgrade from the outset. There is also York's Pan-Am stadium which could be expanded. So all hope is not lost. ;)

Paulwoods will tell you that temporary structure used by BC wasn't that great. Majority of seats behind the endzone.

I do agree that while we see the David Braley ownership as grim. There is positive steps for the Argos with the new training facility & stadium talks.

matthew
09-11-2014, 02:57 PM
I was with you until the temp stadium part. I went twice to that stadium twice and as nice and kitchy as it was, no way is that a viable solution in the long-term.

Qman
09-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I was with you until the temp stadium part. I went twice to that stadium twice and as nice and kitchy as it was, no way is that a viable solution in the long-term.

time is NOW to put up the $10m to knockdown the south and north stands at bmo, while they are construction the new eaststands at bmo over the winter. Just then to build locker rooms and put down fieldturf endzones and we are set. We can't last another crappy year at the crappy skydome with a terrible schedule again.

I'd happy volunteer my couple thousand hours as a heavy equipment operator. Lets Go!!!!

Ballstothewall
09-11-2014, 03:36 PM

That was C/S that screwed the Argos over for a new stadiun. They were all set to go with York, when Paul Godfrey, waved a nice new Dome lease at them. Free rent and 18Cents a beer. Once that lease was over after 4 years, they dumped the team and the Argos are stuck with paying the highest rent in the league, with the worst avalabe dates. At 75,000 per game, i wager there are some games, the Argos don't even cover the cost of the rent. C/S went for short term gain. What did they care, as we find out now, Braily was still paying all the bills then too

Mulder
09-11-2014, 03:43 PM
time is NOW to put up the $10m to knockdown the south and north stands at bmo, while they are construction the new eaststands at bmo over the winter. Just then to build locker rooms and put down fieldturf endzones and we are set. We can't last another crappy year at the crappy skydome with a terrible schedule again.

I'd happy volunteer my couple thousand hours as a heavy equipment operator. Lets Go!!!!

There has been a rumour floating around that CFL wasn't happy with the available dates given by Rogers Centre, and the CFL is looking at expediting the phasing to get the Argos in there sooner.

That was C/S that screwed the Argos over for a new stadiun. They were all set to go with York, when Paul Godfrey, waved a nice new Dome lease at them. Free rent and 18Cents a beer. Once that lease was over after 4 years, they dumped the team and the Argos are stuck with paying the highest rent in the league, with the worst avalabe dates. At 75,000 per game, i wager there are some games, the Argos don't even cover the cost of the rent. C/S went for short term gain. What did they care, as we find out now, Braily was still paying all the bills then too

That's pretty much bang on. But Rogers par for the course.

ArgoRavi
09-11-2014, 05:26 PM

And we are back to the same problem as to who would pay for any of this? It sure wouldn't be Braley. The only viable solution is getting the Argos into BMO even if it means that the league has to come up with the money to do so itself which is what I suspect will end up happening.

paulwoods13
09-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Paulwoods will tell you that temporary structure used by BC wasn't that great. Majority of seats behind the endzone.

That is correct, Mulder. Literally more than half of the seats were behind the goal-lines. No one in their right mind would consider that a remotely viable long-term option.

As for the original post suggesting Braley is prepared to throw the keys back to the CFL, that strikes me as extremely far-fetched for one simple reason. He is also planning to sell the Lions in the next three years. If the preceding franchise transaction was a giveaway for nothing, what does that do to the value of the property he is hoping to make a profit on? Common sense would suggest that giving something away would not enhance the price of essentially the same product being sold later.

DoubleBlue1873
09-11-2014, 09:38 PM
I am really disappointed with Stephen Brunt. When he was with the Globe, he was a thinking man's sportswriter, describing the culture and spirit of the game more than the play on the field. He used to write in almost reverential terms about the CFL's history, its place in the national psyche, its uniqueness in the wide world of sports. But then, around the time the Bills in Toronto series was starting up, he started to write about the Bills coming to Toronto as nothing short of an inevitability, based on the fact that Ralph Wilson was old, would die someday, and all the money was in corporate Toronto. And then he started working for Rogers and it's been nothing but doom and gloom about the Argos and CFL ever since.

Nice to see him proven wrong, even if we can't completely exclude the possibility of the NFL moving in at some undefined point in the future. And I continue to maintain that all CFL fans should boycott Rogers to emphasize that their courting of the NFL at all costs ends up costing them a lot of business.

rdavies
09-11-2014, 10:12 PM
And I continue to maintain that all CFL fans should boycott Rogers to emphasize that their courting of the NFL at all costs ends up costing them a lot of business.I do that anyway and encourage everyone I know to do so. I'm not sure about the GTA but where I am they cap your bandwidth and charge for overages, Bell doesn't.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vg4fps.jpg

Fumblitis
09-11-2014, 10:40 PM
I do that anyway and encourage everyone I know to do so. I'm not sure about the GTA but where I am they cap your bandwidth and charge for overages, Bell doesn't.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vg4fps.jpgI ditched Rogers years ago. Their wireless service sucks in Saskatchewan and more importantly they're trying to kill the CFL.

Argocister
09-11-2014, 11:32 PM
I still think that McGowan is making much of this anti-cfl anti-argos stuff up. Brunt too (I really should get around to burning his grey cup book i got with my 2012 tickets)...

Maybe we could have a brunt book burning tailgate .... that would be fun and they would burn better than the bon jovi cds :sick:

And once we are out of the dome we could have a "burn everything rogers tailgate" .... that would be even more fun!

Mulder
09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Maybe we could have a brunt book burning tailgate .... that would be fun and they would burn better than the bon jovi cds :sick:

And once we are out of the dome we could have a "burn everything rogers tailgate" .... that would be even more fun!

Right at the foot of the Rogers statue?

I am really disappointed with Stephen Brunt. When he was with the Globe, he was a thinking man's sportswriter, describing the culture and spirit of the game more than the play on the field. He used to write in almost reverential terms about the CFL's history, its place in the national psyche, its uniqueness in the wide world of sports. But then, around the time the Bills in Toronto series was starting up, he started to write about the Bills coming to Toronto as nothing short of an inevitability, based on the fact that Ralph Wilson was old, would die someday, and all the money was in corporate Toronto. And then he started working for Rogers and it's been nothing but doom and gloom about the Argos and CFL ever since.

Nice to see him proven wrong, even if we can't completely exclude the possibility of the NFL moving in at some undefined point in the future. And I continue to maintain that all CFL fans should boycott Rogers to emphasize that their courting of the NFL at all costs ends up costing them a lot of business.

I think we can all reflect on Jim Lang and paint a pretty clear picture on what happens at Rogers Media.

He was pretty anti-cfl and anti-argos. Then he got fired from Fan590 and his professed he was a big argo/cfl fan.

Will
09-12-2014, 08:45 AM
People knew that Lang was a CFL fan for a long time. He worked as Argo PBP guy at one point and I believe was a poster on 13thman before Rogers got hostile towards the league.

Invader
09-12-2014, 10:55 AM
That is correct, Mulder. Literally more than half of the seats were behind the goal-lines. No one in their right mind would consider that a remotely viable long-term option.

As for the original post suggesting Braley is prepared to throw the keys back to the CFL, that strikes me as extremely far-fetched for one simple reason. He is also planning to sell the Lions in the next three years. If the preceding franchise transaction was a giveaway for nothing, what does that do to the value of the property he is hoping to make a profit on? Common sense would suggest that giving something away would not enhance the price of essentially the same product being sold later.
I suggested a temporary stadium only if the BMO relocation fell through, to keep the franchise in the GTA while a permanent stadium is completed. The Lions and Whitecaps could have left Vancouver and played in Bellingham or Kelowna, like the Ticats did in Guelph, but the province decided to build a temporary facility. Not the solution but a stopgap measure.

Empire Field had many endzone seats because the province chose a European company as the builder which specialized in soccer stadiums, where they often have lots of endzone seating. The soccer Whitecaps also shared the temp stadium while the $560M upgrade to B.C. Place was completed.

The Argos could instead choose a football-specific design with mostly sideline seating if they (or the league, city or province) are required to provide a temp stadium to keep the Argos in the GTA. I'd also suggest the Argos choose wider seats, the Empire Field seats were obviously designed for more-compact European derriere's, not the more expansive N.A. model. ;)

Contrary to Brunt's repeated assertion that the Argos are "worthless", if the Argos franchise moved to another city (London, Quebec, Halifax) this would save the new city a $15-$20M expansion fee, plus they'd be getting a fully stocked-team, management and equipment. That has value. Just like a football franchise which has been in continuous operation for 142 years, has value, even if they've lost money for the past 25 years playing out of a shopping mall.

zontar
09-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Just a guess but Brunt's selling out to Rogers has to do with that magazine (does anyone actually buy it) Brunt took his payout from the Globe and , as a serious writer, obviously he would want a creative outlet.
If I recall way back when he waxed nostaligic on the radio about Sports Illustrated from previous decades when serious writers wrote long thoughtful articles (as opposed to the short, glib and more visual magaiznes of today).

I beleive the magazine aspect won over Brunt and as an employee he has to toe the corporate line and that is fight TSN and their big monopoly which is the CFL and run them out of Canada' biggest sports market.

Stouffvillain
09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
I learned 25 years ago when SkyDome opened that NFL fans in the Toronto area believe that the only professional football worth watching is the NFL. They absolutely believe that the only thing stopping the NFL from putting a team in Toronto is the existence of the Argos and the sooner the Argos die, the sooner an NFL team will come to Toronto. Somewhere in this forum, I posted an article from the Toronto Sun and written in 1989 by Steve Simmons who called for a boycott of Argo games in order to kill the Argos and get an NFL team in Toronto.

This is the sad truth for the majority in the GTA. Most people in the area only will go to things if they are the "best of the best". It's why attendance for OHL games in city's like Brampton were so low that the team had to leave. It's the same reason why TFC has to bring in guys like Jermain Defoe to bump up ticket sales. It's the same situation that faces the Argos day in and day out.

Most people want to see the highest level or don't want to go at all.

paulwoods13
09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
I suggested a temporary stadium only if the BMO relocation fell through, to keep the franchise in the GTA while a permanent stadium is completed. The Lions and Whitecaps could have left Vancouver and played in Bellingham or Kelowna, like the Ticats did in Guelph, but the province decided to build a temporary facility. Not the solution but a stopgap measure.

Empire Field had many endzone seats because the province chose a European company as the builder which specialized in soccer stadiums, where they often have lots of endzone seating. The soccer Whitecaps also shared the temp stadium while the $560M upgrade to B.C. Place was completed.

The Argos could instead choose a football-specific design with mostly sideline seating if they (or the league, city or province) are required to provide a temp stadium to keep the Argos in the GTA. I'd also suggest the Argos choose wider seats, the Empire Field seats were obviously designed for more-compact European derriere's, not the more expansive N.A. model. ;)

Contrary to Brunt's repeated assertion that the Argos are "worthless", if the Argos franchise moved to another city (London, Quebec, Halifax) this would save the new city a $15-$20M expansion fee, plus they'd be getting a fully stocked-team, management and equipment. That has value. Just like a football franchise which has been in continuous operation for 142 years, has value, even if they've lost money for the past 25 years playing out of a shopping mall.

How can you continue to cling to the absurd notion that a stadium is going to be built from scratch? Who's the sugar daddy? I seriously want an answer to this. I won't insist on an answer to who is going to "require" government to build a temp stadium as well.

AngeloV
09-12-2014, 10:28 PM
How can you continue to cling to the absurd notion that a stadium is going to be built from scratch? Who's the sugar daddy? I seriously want an answer to this. I won't insist on an answer to who is going to "require" government to build a temp stadium as well.

Stop picking on David Braley's PR man. I think he's hoping to get into the will.

ArgoRavi
09-13-2014, 02:52 AM
Here is a fine column from the Winnipeg Free Press' Gary Lawless (a former Argo employee) about how the CFL losing the Argos is simply not an option: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Argo-nots-not-an-option-274978051.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1

doubleblue
09-13-2014, 09:11 AM
There is a lot of truth to what Lawless says. The CFL could operate without TO but at a reduced income from TV. When Lawless says the "other eight teams" would have to run the Argos if Braley walks away, is he sure BC would kick in money to do so. Unless Cohon has the power to use TV money from the other teams to prop up the Argos some of the other owners might not be that willing to subsidize them. However, Braley could be thinking it would be better to a one 8th owner short term instead of footing the full bill.
To me it looks like a standoff between Braley and MLSE to see who will blink first. Maybe if former CFL Commissioner John Tory gets in as Mayor of TO ad Mark Cohon becomes CEO of MLSE things will get ironed out. A lot of maybe's but we can Hope.

Mulder
09-13-2014, 10:16 AM
There is a lot of truth to what Lawless says. The CFL could operate without TO but at a reduced income from TV. When Lawless says the "other eight teams" would have to run the Argos if Braley walks away, is he sure BC would kick in money to do so. Unless Cohon has the power to use TV money from the other teams to prop up the Argos some of the other owners might not be that willing to subsidize them. However, Braley could be thinking it would be better to a one 8th owner short term instead of footing the full bill.
To me it looks like a standoff between Braley and MLSE to see who will blink first. Maybe if former CFL Commissioner John Tory gets in as Mayor of TO ad Mark Cohon becomes CEO of MLSE things will get ironed out. A lot of maybe's but we can Hope.

You would think he'd have to just go along with what the board room says/does. It's sort of a conflict of interest.

Comes down to the end result of who runs the media in Toronto. They are "worth-less" than they should be because of a series of shooting themselves in the foot, and consistent media negativity from one of the controlling entities

Just a guess but Brunt's selling out to Rogers has to do with that magazine (does anyone actually buy it) Brunt took his payout from the Globe and , as a serious writer, obviously he would want a creative outlet.
If I recall way back when he waxed nostaligic on the radio about Sports Illustrated from previous decades when serious writers wrote long thoughtful articles (as opposed to the short, glib and more visual magaiznes of today).

I beleive the magazine aspect won over Brunt and as an employee he has to toe the corporate line and that is fight TSN and their big monopoly which is the CFL and run them out of Canada' biggest sports market.

Many people get it free with their Rogers subscription. Not so strange that it's full Rogers advertisements. Another source for shifting money around in the company

This is the sad truth for the majority in the GTA. Most people in the area only will go to things if they are the "best of the best". It's why attendance for OHL games in city's like Brampton were so low that the team had to leave. It's the same reason why TFC has to bring in guys like Jermain Defoe to bump up ticket sales. It's the same situation that faces the Argos day in and day out.

Most people want to see the highest level or don't want to go at all.

Toronto is a leafs town, and an event town. Not a sports town.

paulwoods13
09-13-2014, 12:53 PM
To me it looks like a standoff between Braley and MLSE to see who will blink first.

Why on earth would MLSE ever "blink"? As I've written before, the Argos and the CFL need MLSE a hell of a lot more than MLSE needs the Argos and the CFL. Now that the Bills are not coming to Toronto, in fact, MLSE has absolutely no "need" for the Argos. Sure, as part of that empire the Argos would likely become profitable and maybe add $1 million or so to the bottom line, but I suspect MLSE barely gets out of bed for a mere million.

R.J
09-13-2014, 01:16 PM
http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140913_103140--Prime-Time-Sports---September-12---5pm.mp3
Starts at about the 16:43 mark.

IMO Rogers and it's employee's are coming off as bitter, because they couldn't get the Bills, thus ending any shot of the NFL coming to Canada.

1argoholic
09-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Right now the only one you can blame for this situation is Braley. His greed has set the wheels in motion for the Argos to start running downhill and at this point we're almost at the bottom. From what I understand he wanted all profits from any future Toronto held Grey Cups after selling the team. That is greed plain and simple and now until he removes his greedy head from his dumb ass we will be sinking before swimming. Add on the fact that we will have ZERO stadium in a few short years and this situation is one thing and one thing only, GRIM!!
As Paul said, there is no sugar daddy willing to drop huge bucks down for the team and build it a shiny new stadium.
The Argos fans are out there big time but way too many have just opted to sit and watch games at home. Anyone who attended Grey Cup 100 saw the best of the best from Argonaut fans. From every Calgary offensive down the place was rocking as Calgary broke their huddle right up to the end of the play. Calgary didn't stand a chance. For whatever multiple reasons too many Argo fans just don't make the trip to Rogers Centre but the fans are still alive and well.

The biggest city in Canada could be without pro football soon.

On a side note I'm done with the criminal league, NFL. Now Peterson beats his son with a stick and somehow is proud of his actions. A four year old beat with a stick. All clASS!!!! We might live very close to the US but we are such a better country is so many ways. The US just can't get out of it's own way and grow up.

argofandave
09-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Former Argo President Brain Cooper was on PTS with Bob McCown and Ken Reid at 4pm today. Cooper is convinced that the Argos will find a solution to their stadium problem and McCown is convinced that the CFL will once again become a 8 team league after the Argos fold. Ken Reid is also very negative about the CFL. I don't know how to post a link to this but I know it is there since I just spent 30 minutes listening to it.

argolio
09-17-2014, 09:58 PM
I saw it. McCown is now officially senile. That is all.

Fumblitis
09-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Former Argo President Brain Cooper was on PTS with Bob McCown and Ken Reid at 4pm today. Cooper is convinced that the Argos will find a solution to their stadium problem and McCown is convinced that the CFL will once again become a 8 team league after the Argos fold. Ken Reid is also very negative about the CFL. I don't know how to post a link to this but I know it is there since I just spent 30 minutes listening to it.I heard most of it too. Brian Cooper really took it on the chin as McCown and Reid bombarded him with all these negative opinions about the Argo's but he stood in there and defended the Argos staunchly. I thought it was admirable for Brian Cooper to do that.

ArgoRavi
09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Anyone who thinks that the CFL would let the Argos fold is delusional.

argotom
09-17-2014, 10:20 PM
McClown is an idiot and so are most of the those on Sportsnet who are so over the top anti CFL and Argos.
I have my own personal boycott, same and except the dome of course, for anything that is Rogers owned.
Anyone else here doing the same?

Fumblitis
09-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Also interesting is how much media attention the Argos are getting all of a sudden. PTS, TSN, the Star and Sportsnet. What up with that?

Argos23
09-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Hopefully the old adage of bad publicity is better than no publicity holds true and we get some better crowds down the stretch.

Fumblitis
09-17-2014, 10:27 PM
McClown is an idiot and so are most of the those on Sportsnet who are so over the top anti CFL and Argos.
I have my own personal boycott, same and except the dome of course, for anything that is Rogers owned.
Anyone else here doing the same?I ditched Rogers wireless service in 2003 because it sucks in western Canada but I'm particularly boycotting them for their anti CFL stance.

Argocister
09-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Anyone else here doing the same?

Definitely ..... Except for my seasons .... I try not to buy much during the games as well.
And I berate people for having Rogers products because if you despise the CFL then you are not a friend of Canadian culture...

Ron
09-18-2014, 04:30 AM
When will folks here stop whining. Braley is funding the team. Stuff is going on with MLSE and BMO ... just not on the timetable Argo fans are happy with. Rogers has said that they will not kick the Argos out of Skydome if they have nowhere else to go. (Plus the guys who want to kill the CFL also offered the Cats a place to play on a Tuesday night when it looked like Labour Day would not happen)

Neely2005
09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
When will folks here stop whining. Braley is funding the team. Stuff is going on with MLSE and BMO ... just not on the timetable Argo fans are happy with. Rogers has said that they will not kick the Argos out of Skydome if they have nowhere else to go. (Plus the guys who want to kill the CFL also offered the Cats a place to play on a Tuesday night when it looked like Labour Day would not happen)

Now, now let's not let facts get in the way of the Rogers is evil and Bell is godly narrative that most posters on this site espouse.

doubleblue
09-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Brian Cooper came across as someone who knows what is really going on with the Argos. As a former President of the Argos he know only too well what
the cash flow would be and what it would take to break even. Reid comes across as a younger generation no nothing. McCown I think knows better but just likes to stir the pot. Braley isn't going to throw the keys on the table and when all the posturing is done the Argos will be in BMO field. MLSE after all doesn't own the place and too much Government money went into it in the first place to let Rogers get away with trying to shut the Argos out of BMO. I personally think BMO is a cheap high school like place, but that's all there is available. I remember walking by on a windy day going to the Royal. The place was empty but the stands looked to be swaying with the wind. How structurally sound is that place.
I am surprised at McCown and his over the top rants about the Argos. He generally marches to his own drummer and normally couldn't care less if his bosses weren't in lock step to what he would say on air. There has to be another angle. Maybe Bob doesn't like Braley and how he treated his buddies C & S when they tried owning the Argos. Doesn't like the fact Braley made alot of money on the Grey Cups in Toronto and got Gov't money to boot. But this to shall pass and IMO the Argos will still be here long after McCown is off the air waves.

Neely2005
09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Former Argo President Brain Cooper was on PTS with Bob McCown and Ken Reid at 4pm today. Cooper is convinced that the Argos will find a solution to their stadium problem and McCown is convinced that the CFL will once again become a 8 team league after the Argos fold. Ken Reid is also very negative about the CFL. I don't know how to post a link to this but I know it is there since I just spent 30 minutes listening to it.

Here's the Audio from yesterday:

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140917_180244--Prime-Time-Sports---September-17---5pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - September 17 - 5pm
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun joined Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt to talk about John Gibbons, Alex Anthopoulos and the Blue Jays while our very own Arash Madani came on to talk about the Argos.

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140917_165632--Prime-Time-Sports---September-17---(4-pm).mp3) Prime Time Sports - September 17 - (4 pm)
Host Of Sportsnet Connected Ken Reid and Brian Cooper President of S&E Sponsorship Group joins the bobcat to talk about the dismay of the Argos, whats wrong with the franchise and the what the future will hold for North America's oldest professional sport

Arash Madani comes on around the 35 Minute Mark of the 5 PM Link.

AngeloV
09-18-2014, 01:35 PM
There has to be another angle. Maybe Bob doesn't like Braley and how he treated his buddies C & S when they tried owning the Argos. Doesn't like the fact Braley made alot of money on the Grey Cups in Toronto and got Gov't money to boot. But this to shall pass and IMO the Argos will still be here long after McCown is off the air waves.

I think that you have absolutely hit the nail on the head.

As for Brian Cooper, I am very surprised to hear how he defended the Argos. Don't know why I feel this way, but I always looked at him as somewhat of a phony. I wonder if he is lobbying for the Commissioiners job.

QBall
09-18-2014, 02:12 PM
I have my own personal boycott, same and except the dome of course, for anything that is Rogers owned. Anyone else here doing the same?

Same. Couldn't be happier with the switch.

Deerkeeper
09-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Same. Couldn't be happier with the switch.I had Rogers cable for a while but couldn't stomach it, so it was back to satellite. I would prefer to have cable, but we have no options other than Rogers. I miss watching Barre Colts games on the local cable station, and I really miss being able to watch CKCO (CTV Southern Ontario in Kitchener), which has the best local sports coverage of any station out there. OUA & OHL will be given priority over NFL & Blowjays.

Qman
09-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Same. Couldn't be happier with the switch.

I have Bell TV and Bell cell. Would never consider Rogers because of there anti-CFL stance.
Friends are the same too.

AngeloV
09-18-2014, 08:03 PM
I switched to Bell Fibe over a year ago, and love it. After years of having technicians from Rogers come over because my reception was horrible, and doing little towards a permanent fix, I have had absolutely no interruptions of service since I made the switch. Also paying about $50 a month less (over $100 a month for the first 6 months).

argolio
09-18-2014, 09:50 PM
When will folks here stop whining. Braley is funding the team. Stuff is going on with MLSE and BMO ... just not on the timetable Argo fans are happy with. Rogers has said that they will not kick the Argos out of Skydome if they have nowhere else to go. (Plus the guys who want to kill the CFL also offered the Cats a place to play on a Tuesday night when it looked like Labour Day would not happen)Paul Beeston said Rogers won't kick the Argos out for the duration of the current lease. And that could change since he may not be around after this year.

Neely2005
09-19-2014, 07:42 AM
I switched to Bell Fibe over a year ago, and love it. After years of having technicians from Rogers come over because my reception was horrible, and doing little towards a permanent fix, I have had absolutely no interruptions of service since I made the switch. Also paying about $50 a month less (over $100 a month for the first 6 months).

It was the opposite for me terrible quality and terrible customer service from Bell so I switched to Rogers and haven't had any problems and I'm paying less.

Paul Beeston said Rogers won't kick the Argos out for the duration of the current lease. And that could change since he may not be around after this year.

The Argonauts have a signed lease until the END of the 2017 season. They can't be kicked out before then. They can leave earlier if They choose to do so.

gilthethrill
09-19-2014, 08:42 PM
McCown and Friedman where really taking it to the Argo tonight around 18:45hours....laughing that Argo tickets are worth more than the team etc etc....folding, MLSE/BMO move are both dead....really annoying to listen to.

Neely2005
09-19-2014, 08:52 PM
McCown and Friedman where really taking it to the Argo tonight around 18:45hours....laughing that Argo tickets are worth more than the team etc etc....folding, MLSE/BMO move are both dead....really annoying to listen to.

It's also Not true:

ARGOS REMAIN IN BMO FIELD PLANS

BMO Field will once again be one of the best places to play in Major League Soccer, MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke said.
But that doesn’t mean expansion plans won’t include the Toronto Argonauts one day.

“That’s a commitment that is a legal obligation to the city and the province,” Leiweke said of the CFL possibly coming to BMO Field. “We will honour that commitment.”

MLSE will be hosting a ground-breaking ceremony of sorts on Tuesday as construction to upgrade BMO Field is already under way.
“If you want to see a testament to the growth of MLS, go look at what our stadium was when it opened to what it is today,” Leiweke said. “We’ve fallen so far behind it’s shocking.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/18/leiweke-sets-record-straight-on-tfc-issues

gilthethrill
09-19-2014, 09:15 PM
I was aware of that Neely...please feel free to send that story to those arrogant "know it alls" on PTS...:)

Argo57
09-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Simply button pushing at its finest, who cares what they say!!

ArgoRavi
09-20-2014, 03:11 AM

Friedman is probably still bitter that he lost his CFL hosting gig when the league moved away from CBC.

Will
09-20-2014, 08:37 AM
I heard a different version of this than gil and that was that, yes, McCown was continuing his usual narrative, but that Friedman wasn't as hostile.

Neely2005
09-20-2014, 08:58 AM
I was aware of that Neely...please feel free to send that story to those arrogant "know it alls" on PTS...:)

I Tweeted the Sun article at both of them. No response.

Argocister
09-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Lesson learned ..... again...... The BS is falling off the walls!
McGowan, Madani .... The rogers boys ...... They are slingers. They throw the BS and hope something sticks.
After these last 2 weeks, I'm not sure any of it has.
The practice facility is still under construction, but it's not going to be sub standard.
The team has the dollars it needs..... Otherwise how do they stay out west for the week?
The team also has good scouting out there.... Why would Huf pick up our QB release.
The team is better once some of their weapons return to the game.
That is why I always doubt these guys and don't even take it with an atom of salt. ..... And it holds true for much they say now. I doubt most of their reporting on other subjects .... Not saying it's always wrong but one just wonders if it's the BS that's going to stick or not.

Neely2005
09-20-2014, 12:37 PM
I heard a different version of this than gil and that was that, yes, McCown was continuing his usual narrative, but that Friedman wasn't as hostile.

Here are the Links to the Audio if anyone wants to listen for themselves:

Sep

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140919_185426--Prime-Time-Sports---September-19---6pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - September 19 - 6pm
Friday, 6 pm: Friday Roundtable with Bob McCown, Dave Perkins, Glen Grunwald & Elliotte Friedman.

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140919_180654--Prime-Time-Sports---September-19---5pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - September 19 - 5pm
Friday, 5 pm: Friday Roundtable with Bob McCown, Dave Perkins, Glen Grunwald and Elliotte Friedman.

Fumblitis
09-20-2014, 07:58 PM
I heard a different version of this than gil and that was that, yes, McCown was continuing his usual narrative, but that Friedman wasn't as hostile.Freidman was quite neutral I thought.

argotom
09-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Why do we here continuously quote this idiot McClown and his Rogers sidekicks?

gilthethrill
09-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Freidman was quite neutral I thought.

Even when he was laughing about Braley having "100 offers" for the Argos? I found him unprofessional.

Fumblitis
09-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Why do we here continuously quote this idiot McClown and his Rogers sidekicks?You know what you diehard Argo fans need to do? When Bobcat has a call-in show, you need to bombard his show with questions regarding ON field issues that pertain to the Argos.

Double Dare
09-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Lesson learned ..... again...... The BS is falling off the walls!
McGowan, Madani .... The rogers boys ...... They are slingers. They throw the BS and hope something sticks.
After these last 2 weeks, I'm not sure any of it has.
The practice facility is still under construction, but it's not going to be sub standard.
The team has the dollars it needs..... Otherwise how do they stay out west for the week?
The team also has good scouting out there.... Why would Huf pick up our QB release.
The team is better once some of their weapons return to the game.
That is why I always doubt these guys and don't even take it with an atom of salt. ..... And it holds true for much they say now. I doubt most of their reporting on other subjects .... Not saying it's always wrong but one just wonders if it's the BS that's going to stick or not. Right on Cister ... tabloid-like BS.

argolio
09-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Why do we here continuously quote this idiot McClown and his Rogers sidekicks?Like it or not, he's the most influential guy on local sports radio.

LLB997
09-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Like it or not, he's the most influential guy on local sports radio.

influential and comtroversial are not the same.

Neely2005
09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
influential and comtroversial are not the same.

He has the Number 1 rated sports radio show in Canada and has for years. The show is syndicated across North America and is on Television daily.

Are you suggesting that he's not influential?

LLB997
09-22-2014, 02:08 PM
He has the Number 1 rated sports radio show in Canada and has for years. The show is syndicated across North America and is on Television daily.

never suggested hes not influential. the OP stated he is the MOST influential on local sports radio. TBH, I know very few people who listen to his show and I often hear the words "he should retire" when he is brought up. Usually, influential is a positive term. maybe not in bobcats case. Personally, the most influential guy I hear on local sports radio is Brian Williams AINEC. PS- syndicated across n America? that sounds like nonsense. I live in Americas biggest radio market and listen to ALL sports radio and Bob is a complete unknown here to say the least. have never heard him on American airwaves in over 8 yrs. specifically where?

Neely2005
09-22-2014, 03:27 PM
never suggested hes not influential. the OP stated he is the MOST influential on local sports radio. TBH, I know very few people who listen to his show and I often hear the words "he should retire" when he is brought up. Usually, influential is a positive term. maybe not in bobcats case. Personally, the most influential guy I hear on local sports radio is Brian Williams AINEC. PS- syndicated across n America? that sounds like nonsense. I live in Americas biggest radio market and listen to ALL sports radio and Bob is a complete unknown here to say the least. have never heard him on American airwaves in over 8 yrs. specifically where?

Why would he retire? He's # 1 and has been for many years. He's on Sirius.

"Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown is the nation's most listened to talk show presentation":

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/406251/sirius-satellite-radio-canada-adds-top-rated-sports-talk-shows

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bob-mccown-reaches-sports-radio-summit-by-his-own-route/article4100371/

LLB997
09-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Why would he retire? He's # 1 and has been for many years. He's on Sirius.

"Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown is the nation's most listened to talk show presentation":

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/406251/sirius-satellite-radio-canada-adds-top-rated-sports-talk-shows

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bob-mccown-reaches-sports-radio-summit-by-his-own-route/article4100371/

Sirius? not quite syndication. lol

zontar
09-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Who or what does he influence ? Give one example where McCowan's opinion influenced a decision by a sports team or politician. And dont use news scoops because those were given to him.

argolio
09-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Who or what does he influence ? Give one example where McCowan's opinion influenced a decision by a sports team or politician. And dont use news scoops because those were given to him.I'd say McCown's influence, for better or worse, is felt more among sports fans than teams or politicians.

And he probably won't retire because Rogers will keep throwing more money at him. They don't have anyone else with anywhere close to his appeal.

argotom
09-22-2014, 10:37 PM
He is a legend in his own mind.
A two faced SOB.

Neely2005
09-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Who or what does he influence ? Give one example where McCowan's opinion influenced a decision by a sports team or politician. And dont use news scoops because those were given to him.

He influences his listeners and public opinion. His listeners would he the ones that influence politicians.

Neely2005
09-24-2014, 08:00 AM
More Argonauts talk yesterday:

Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140923_192111--Prime-Time-Sports---Septmeber-23---4pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - Septmeber 23 - 4pm
Bob McCown hosts Prime Time Sports and welcomes in Jeff Blair to discuss some hot topics in the sports world, and also talks to Mississauga Mayoral Candidate Dil Muhamed about his campaign to help build a state-of-the-art stadium if elected.

It's funny how McCown keeps forgetting that the City of Toronto owns BMO Field and that there's a legal requirement to let the Argonauts play there. It's been reported by numerous media sources in the past week and not a mention of it by McCown.

Argos could still play at BMO Field, as MLSE's Leiweke says "We will honour that commitment.":

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/argos-could-still-play-at-bmo-field--as-mlse-s-leiweke-says--we-will-honour-that-commitment--182928094.html

Stouffvillain
09-24-2014, 09:00 AM
I took a listen. It sounds like more of the same with them just painting a picture of doom for the Argos. Grange plays the good cop to Bob's bad cop and he does a fine job of pointing out things that Bob doesn't even consider, such as the TV deal being the most lucrative the league has seen.

They mention more than once that MLSE didn't want to buy the team and that is makes sense for Bell to own it. This only serves as further proof (for my own opinion) that the Bell portion of MLSE wanted to buy the Argos and it was the Rogers side that didn't with Rogers saying to Bell "if you want them so bad buy them yourself".

When Blair joins the conversation and says how he wants BMO to remain a SSS and how he wants to see BMO become the home for the Canadian Mens National Team. They continue to say that the CanMNT have only played two games in six years at BMO which is completely false. I've been to more than two CanMNT games at BMO. Simple things like that throwing out false numbers as if they are correct make the people educated on the subject call into question all the other "facts" that were mentioned earlier such as the 3,000 STH for the Argos. If you can't count higher than two games how can your STH number be accurate?

It's unfortunate that with the massive audience that they have that the show isn't more accountable on the "facts" they produce.

EDIT
Just to prove how far off Blair (and potentially Bob and Grange) are on their "facts", the following are Canada games held at BMO Field. It's a few more than two. Italicized games are the ones I attended.
Canada v Costa Rica (2007 - friendly)
Canada v Jamaica (2008 - World Cup Qualifying)
Canada v Peru (2010 - friendly)
Canada v Ecuador (2011 - friendly)
Canada v St Lucia (2011 (WCQ)
Canada v Puerto Rico (2011 - WCQ)
Canada v St Kitts & Nevis (2011 - WCQ)
Canada v USA (2012 - friendly)
Canada v Honduras (2012 WCQ)
Canada v Panama (2012 - WCQ)
Canada v Cuba (2012 - WCQ)
Canada v Jamaica (2014 - friendly)

In that same time there have been only five games played in Canada that weren't in Toronto. I don't know what Blair was thinking about but he clearly isn't the fan that he makes himself out to be which makes one think if he is just anti-argos/CFL due to his place of employment.

LLB997
09-24-2014, 03:57 PM
thanks for the link Neely

Argocister
09-24-2014, 08:38 PM
I took a listen. It sounds like more of the same ............. Simple things like that throwing out false numbers as if they are correct make the people educated on the subject call into question all the other "facts" that were mentioned earlier ........

Those are my thoughts ..... What can you believe!

Same goes for Arash Madani in my books. These guys will have to build up a lot of trust in order for me to take them seriously.

Qman
09-24-2014, 09:23 PM
guys why listen to mclown.

go up the dial and list to naylor and support TSN and the cfl. At least he has good guests and insiders. mclown brings out the same retreads all the time and low quality sportsnet guys.

Fumblitis
09-24-2014, 10:25 PM

go up the dial and list to naylor and support TSN and the cfl. At least he has good guests and insiders. mclown brings out the same retreads all the time and low quality sportsnet guys. Or bombard his show with questions about the team regarding ON field issues.

Stouffvillain
09-25-2014, 08:20 AM

go up the dial and list to naylor and support TSN and the cfl. At least he has good guests and insiders. mclown brings out the same retreads all the time and low quality sportsnet guys.

I listen to both. I am a big fan of the Football Friday hour on Dave Naylor's show. I am disappointed that it only seems to run during the NFL season. You would think that TSN radio would want that hour as soon as the CFL season starts.

argotom
09-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I listen to both. I am a big fan of the Football Friday hour on Dave Naylor's show. I am disappointed that it only seems to run during the NFL season. You would think that TSN radio would want that hour as soon as the CFL season starts.

I do like Naylor, however TSN is unfortunately Sportsnet lite.

LLB997
09-25-2014, 06:09 PM
tsn radio In Toronto IS AWFUL for CFL . Its a headscratcher as to why they don't focus on and promote one of their big sports properties.

argotom
09-25-2014, 08:47 PM
tsn radio In Toronto IS AWFUL for CFL . Its a headscratcher as to why they don't focus on and promote one of their big sports properties.

I can't believe it either, just like Sportsnet/Fan 590, all American sports all of the time.
Makes you want to puke.
Won't listen to neither.

Downtownfan
09-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Do my eyes deceive me, or has the category "CFL" suddenly appeared on the Sporstnet.ca banner? It was always relegated to the +MORE dropdown. Does this mean anything? Funny, just as TSN makes its website seemingly less CFL friendly...

argonaut11xx
09-26-2014, 04:08 PM
The new TSN website SUCKS

ArgoGabe22
09-26-2014, 04:20 PM
The new TSN website SUCKS

I thought the same thing when I first saw it yesterday. Might have to check out my sports news via Sportsnet now.

BATKINSON001
09-26-2014, 04:21 PM
I don't see the issue with it, its much cleaner now, I can find stuff easier. What do you guys not like about it?

AngeloV
09-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Not much of a difference to me. Easyt to navigate before, easy to navigate now.

Wobbler
09-26-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm fond of the clean re-design. I could do without the banner bar that minimizes when you scroll down, but that has become common enough that I'm getting used to it.

Argocister
09-26-2014, 06:19 PM

I'm not sure if I would call it awful .... Is there an alternative?
I've stopped listening in the morning as the football talk is only NFL .... It seems.... I may have missed the couple minutes they give the ARGOS or the CFL.
And it is too bad they don't include a CFL segment regularly, in the Friday night football hour ... They just don't have the balls to educate the NFL fans. 😁

argotom
09-27-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure if I would call it awful .... Is there an alternative?
I've stopped listening in the morning as the football talk is only NFL .... It seems.... I may have missed the couple minutes they give the ARGOS or the CFL.
And it is too bad they don't include a CFL segment regularly, in the Friday night football hour ... They just don't have the balls to educate the NFL fans. 

If they do not talk about the CFL and which they didn't whenever I listened, you are damn right this is awful to me.
Yet another wannabe US sports station, who needs that crap.

gilthethrill
09-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Did someone mention that "Football Friday" only started when the NFL season began & that it only discusses NFL? If so, that is highly disapointing. I go onto the Podcast section from time to time in search of CFL talk, but rarely find any other than All Argos Access.

ArgoRavi
09-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Sadly, if you want to hear any CFL talk on radio, you probably have to go to one of the other TSN stations in Ottawa, Winnipeg or Edmonton.

AngeloV
09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Sadly, if you want to hear any CFL talk on radio, you probably have to go to one of the other TSN stations in Ottawa, Winnipeg or Edmonton.

Or find out whatever show Mike Hogan is on. He always has at least one extended CFL related theme on his shows, no matter who he is working with.

Argocister
09-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Or find out whatever show Mike Hogan is on. He always has at least one extended CFL related theme on his shows, no matter who he is working with.

It's true.... You can always depend on Hogan for some good CFL FOOTBALL discussion. ( not the drama as much)
It's also true the other cities have a fair bit of CFL talk during their programs. .... Probably a symptom of a large city although Montreal's TSN even talks about the CIS.

Neely2005
10-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Toronto Argonauts scathe CFL commissioner Mark Cohon’s feel-good chat:

http://o.canada.com/sports/toronto-argonauts-scathe-cfl-commissioner-mark-cohons-feel-good-chat

dmont
10-21-2014, 10:19 AM

That's an old article from the National Post, and the headline doesn't match the text at all.

Neely2005
10-21-2014, 11:32 AM

That's an old article from the National Post, and the headline doesn't match the text at all.

Really? It's dated as yesterday.

Fumblitis
10-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Really? It's dated as yesterday.It was in the Regina Leader Post yesterday too.

Argocister
10-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Toronto Argonauts scathe CFL commissioner Mark Cohon’s feel-good chat:

http://o.canada.com/sports/toronto-argonauts-scathe-cfl-commissioner-mark-cohons-feel-good-chat

Really? It's dated as yesterday.

It was in the Regina Leader Post yesterday too.

Mmmmm..... So is there a formula that if you present the garbage on a regular basis with some time in between you can succeed in having people believe in your thought process?
Keep trashing the Argos and bringing up all the drama, rather than do a positive spin? Or discuss football? ..... So the goal is to keep putting the Argos down so they disappear?

Let's see it was about 5-6 weeks ago when Arash Madani started laying out some Argo tweets ..... Let's see if the next bunch of articles with the same info comes out again in 4-5 weeks.

I am not arguing facts .... I am in opposition to the attitude taken for the Argos. This is a Toronto team ..... With much Canadian history ..... The writers should be calling out the people of Toronto to support their team. It could be a team that actually wins them something this year...... Maybe ...... The message should be .... The team keeps battling on the field even though they are going through tough times in the management of the team. Support the foster child that is the
Argos .... Not keep berating it with the same " your mother is ugly " message.
(Heavy sigh) ....... Sorry to put you guys through my rant .... But thanks for listening.

Neely2005
11-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Listen (http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20141125_192826--Prime-Time-Sports---November-25th---5pm.mp3) Prime Time Sports - November 25th - 5pm
November 25th, 5 pm: Nick Kypreos and Mark Cohon join Bob McCown and Elliotte Friedman.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2z8nlmg.jpg

Neely2005
05-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Is it just me or is The FAN590 giving the Argonauts more coverage than TSN1050? Lately it seems that I hear Argonauts talk a few times a week on the FAN590 and hardly at all on TSN1050.

Qman
05-14-2015, 07:37 PM
mcClown is a big cfl fan (didn't he work for the club/broadcaster in his early days) ... he just hates braley with a passion.
With braley sliding out the door ... he's bringing back his usually suspects of guests - cooper, pinball, etc. plus, he like sports business stories and MLSE drama as well.

argotom
05-14-2015, 08:26 PM
McClown was never a CFL fan, however he claims his interest was peaked when he was unsuccessful in getting or being part of a CFL team while living in Vegas early in the 90's.
There was a minor increase in the league during the C & S ownership group when he was a part of the GC committee.
Anyway who cares about this clown and the Rogers brand.

Neely2005
05-14-2015, 08:52 PM
McClown was never a CFL fan, however he claims his interest was peaked when he was unsuccessful in getting or being part of a CFL team while living in Vegas early in the 90's.
There was a minor increase in the league during the C & S ownership group when he was a part of the GC committee.

So why is TSN1050's coverage so lacking?

Mike Hogan
05-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Just to nip this in the bud.

I don't know what else you're looking for, but I was IN the draft room on Tuesday night. I did post-draft interviews with both Barker and Milanovich.

The next night we had Milanovich on again.

Oh ya, I also wrote a 2,500 word breakdown on the draft night - again from INSIDE the war room - for TSN.ca, something that has generated ZERO comments on this website.

Before you go blasting away, get your facts straight.

Hogan

eiben35
05-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Hi Hogie,

You do a good job of talking Argos and CFL on TSN radio and Mike Richards does a little bit but Macko and Cauz, Brian Hayes and Dave Naylor are brutal. Naylor is supposed to be the CFL Insider. How does he get that. He loves the NFL!

Argo57
05-14-2015, 09:34 PM

If no one cares what McCown says why keep commenting on it??

I don't know what else you're looking for, but I was IN the draft room on Tuesday night. I did post-draft interviews with both Barker and Milanovich.

Oh ya, I also wrote a 2,500 word breakdown on the draft night - again from INSIDE the war room - for TSN.ca, something that has generated ZERO comments on this website.

Hogan

Great to hear a media guy who loves the CFL and the Argos in particular like most who post on this site, I read your article yesterday and enjoyed it, keep up the good fight and keep spreading the word regarding our great league!!

Mike Hogan
05-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Eiben;

Yes Naylor loves the NFL, so do I. We both love the CFL and college football as much. To us football is football. Naylor talks football a lot on his show and certainly talks CFL during the season. It's the off season, and aside from any BMO Field development - a story he and Rick Westhead were ALL over by the way- there's not a hell of a lot to talk about as far as the CFL goes. The Argos haven't made a major player move. If they had, there would have been discussion. We haven't talked a ton of CFL on our show for exactly that reason. With the draft, there was a story, we were all over it in the aforementioned ways.

Neely2005
05-14-2015, 09:58 PM

Hogan

Is it just me or is The FAN590 giving the Argonauts more coverage than TSN1050? Lately it seems that I hear Argonauts talk a few times a week on the FAN590 and hardly at all on TSN1050.

Hey Hogie thanks for the response, however as you can see by my original post above I don't think that I was blasting anyone. I usually only listen on my drive to and from work and lately I rarely hear any Argonauts talk during that time. Also I will agree that you do an excellent job of covering the Argonauts however I can't say the same for the rest of your coworkers.

doubleblue
05-15-2015, 06:17 AM

Hogan

Thanks for the interviews in the war room Hogie and also to the Argos for allowing it. I look forward to Football Fridays again this year on 1050.

AngeloV
05-15-2015, 11:19 AM
If no one cares what McCown says why keep commenting on it??

Bingo. The only time my radio goes on 590 is if I'm in the car during a Leaf game that they are carrying.

gilthethrill
05-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Bingo. The only time my radio goes on 590 is if I'm in the car during a Leaf game that they are carrying.

I noticed that both CJBK in London & CJCS in Stratford stopped broadcasting PTS quite a while ago. Perhaps McCown & Friends are not as popular as they once were.

Neely2005
05-15-2015, 12:16 PM
I noticed that both CJBK in London & CJCS in Stratford stopped broadcasting PTS quite a while ago. Perhaps McCown & Friends are not as popular as they once were.

The last time that I saw the ratings McCowan was still # 1. It could be that it was to expensive to keep carrying the show.

R.J
05-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Hogan
First off, glad to see you back posting Hogie, always enjoyed reading your insight and perspective on the 13thman and FOA.

While I can't speak for any other Argo fan, I'm personally looking for more coverage, content and hype of not only the Argonauts, but the CFL as well. I recall over on the 13thman a similar debate occurred and you yourself even stated that the CFL deserves more coverage. I look at the ridiculous amount of coverage and media talk that the Raptors/NBA, Blue Jays/MLB and NFL all receive and wonder why doesn't the CFL get the coverage it deserves. TBH I'd love for anyone from either BELL or Rogers to explain to me how the NBA and MLB deserve the coverage and hype they receive, because everything I've seen from their tv and radio ratings both have very small fanbase (similar to the MLS' which receives very little radio and tv hype). The Blue Jays are talked about at least one segment per TSN 1050 show, as were the Raptors when they were playing. Heck, the Raps are done and there's still shows that are bringing them up. Look at what happened with the Blue Jays once Sportsnet received their exclusive tv rights, coverage and hype went up the wazoo and low and behold, more people started attending games and their tv ratings went from an average of 300k (after the new ratings system was put into place, SEPT 09) to the current 500k+. Football Friday only starts when the NFL season begins and since Bell and Rogers acquired the Sunday packages, the amount of NFL talked rose exponentially on the BELL, Rogers and sun media outlets.

I'm not saying that the coverage and hype needs to get overblown like the Leafs, but considering the CFL is still the #2 overall sports property in Canada, #1 specialty channel first run programming and the Argonauts were fighting with the Blue Jays in 2012-2013 for the #2 tv ratings spot behind the Leafs in the GTA regional breakdown, the media talk and hype needs to grow to match that.

The last time that I saw the ratings McCowan was still # 1. It could be that it was to expensive to keep carrying the show.
Still #1, but the ratings are going downhill. TSN 1050 is actually pretty close to the Fan's ratings now. The Fan's ratings have dropped quite a bit in the last year.

1argoholic
05-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Biggest problem with Hoagie is that he's an Eagles and Notre Dame fan. haha. He's got some great stories about games in Philly though. Talk about crazy fans.

I think plenty of folks would be floored in who loves the CFL. As I've mentioned on here Brad Fay is a big Lions fan and CFL guy. So is Jamie Campbell who got his sidekick on Jays telecasts into CFL ball, Greg Zahn as his name just came to me.

ArgoRavi
05-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Biggest problem with Hoagie is that he's an Eagles and Notre Dame fan. haha. He's got some great stories about games in Philly though. Talk about crazy fans.

I think plenty of folks would be floored in who loves the CFL. As I've mentioned on here Brad Fay is a big Lions fan and CFL guy. So is Jamie Campbell who got his sidekick on Jays telecasts into CFL ball, Greg Zahn as his name just came to me.

Does anyone remember when Sportsnet actually carried a handful of CFL games back in 2004? Jamie Campbell did play-by-play with Grant Carter as the colour analyst. The studio consisted of Sean McCormack (sp? - Jennifer Hedger's husband) as host with Marty York and Duane Forde as the analysts. They did a very good job on those telecasts but unfortunately it was short-lived.

doubleblue
05-15-2015, 04:16 PM

I was driving down North of Kingston last summer (back in the sticks)lol and came across a road called "Hogan Road". I immediately thought of Mike Hogan, "Good Kingston Boy" that he must have had a road named after him.

Neely2005
05-15-2015, 05:10 PM
First off, glad to see you back posting Hogie, always enjoyed reading your insight and perspective on the 13thman and FOA.

While I can't speak for any other Argo fan, I'm personally looking for more coverage, content and hype of not only the Argonauts, but the CFL as well. I recall over on the 13thman a similar debate occurred and you yourself even stated that the CFL deserves more coverage. I look at the ridiculous amount of coverage and media talk that the Raptors/NBA, Blue Jays/MLB and NFL all receive and wonder why doesn't the CFL get the coverage it deserves. TBH I'd love for anyone from either BELL or Rogers to explain to me how the NBA and MLB deserve the coverage and hype they receive, because everything I've seen from their tv and radio ratings both have very small fanbase (similar to the MLS' which receives very little radio and tv hype). The Blue Jays are talked about at least one segment per TSN 1050 show, as were the Raptors when they were playing. Heck, the Raps are done and there's still shows that are bringing them up. Look at what happened with the Blue Jays once Sportsnet received their exclusive tv rights, coverage and hype went up the wazoo and low and behold, more people started attending games and their tv ratings went from an average of 300k (after the new ratings system was put into place, SEPT 09) to the current 500k+. Football Friday only starts when the NFL season begins and since Bell and Rogers acquired the Sunday packages, the amount of NFL talked rose exponentially on the BELL, Rogers and sun media outlets.

I'm not saying that the coverage and hype needs to get overblown like the Leafs, but considering the CFL is still the #2 overall sports property in Canada, #1 specialty channel first run programming and the Argonauts were fighting with the Blue Jays in 2012-2013 for the #2 tv ratings spot behind the Leafs in the GTA regional breakdown, the media talk and hype needs to grow to match that.

Still #1, but the ratings are going downhill. TSN 1050 is actually pretty close to the Fan's ratings now. The Fan's ratings have dropped quite a bit in the last year.

Great post. They should probably rename Football Friday to NFL Football Friday.

Why not have Scott Milanovich on the morning show every day after an Argonauts game? (Or Monday morning if it's a Friday or Saturday game)

R.J
05-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Great post. They should probably rename Football Friday to NFL Football Friday.
NFL 85% and NCAA 15% Friday.

argotom
05-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Does anyone remember when Sportsnet actually carried a handful of CFL games back in 2004? Jamie Campbell did play-by-play with Grant Carter as the colour analyst. The studio consisted of Sean McCormack (sp? - Jennifer Hedger's husband) as host with Marty York and Duane Forde as the analysts. They did a very good job on those telecasts but unfortunately it was short-lived.

I do remember Ravi.
They did a god job and I always thought there could be room for 1 game per week with them.
But then the Rogers hate on became over the top and there goes that.

Hi Hogie,

You do a good job of talking Argos and CFL on TSN radio and Mike Richards does a little bit but Macko and Cauz, Brian Hayes and Dave Naylor are brutal. Naylor is supposed to be the CFL Insider. How does he get that. He loves the NFL!

Agreed, other then Hogan it is really few and far between with TSN 1050 radio for the CFL and Argos.
Nothing more then 1a light with Rogers and Fan 590.
For once I would like at least one on air personality to "come out" and say I love the CFL only period, instead of always my NFL team is this and by the way some of us occasionally watch the CFL.
Then of course, 24/7 over the top coverage of the No Funners to nauseate.
Lost me.
You would think otherwise as the network has done a great job with the CFL.

jerrym
05-15-2015, 09:30 PM

Hogan

Thanks Mike. I've always appreciated your support of the Argos.

LLB997
05-17-2015, 08:47 AM
The CFL needs to start deflating balls. then Toronto media should be all over them

ArgoRavi
05-17-2015, 12:49 PM
The CFL needs to start deflating balls. then Toronto media should be all over them

If the CFL had to face the kinds of problems that the NFL has faced over the last couple of years including this one and the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations, the Canadian media in general would be saying "bush league" more than we can count. It is incredible though just how much national media attention that these events have received here in Canada.

AngeloV
05-17-2015, 01:26 PM
If the CFL had to face the kinds of problems that the NFL has faced over the last couple of years including this one and the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations, the Canadian media in general would be saying "bush league" more than we can count. It is incredible though just how much national media attention that these events have received here in Canada.

That all goes back to what I've been saying for years, Ravi. The problem the CFL has, especially in this market, is that people tend to relate quality with money. Since the NFL strike in '83, the salaries down there skyrocketed to amounts the CFL will never even dream of. For that reason, to the minds of many of today's generation, the CFL will be looked at as bush league. These people are idiots.

LLB997
05-17-2015, 05:19 PM
You have no idea how right you are, Anti CFL types still bring up the drafting a dead guy thing from 20 years ago, meanwhile, NFL balls have no air, and the lights go out at the championship game itself all within the last 2 years and this is the league we should all strive to emulate ? haha.
I think the argument that there is no CFL to talk being the reason TSN radio talks NFL is nonsense. There is no NFL to talk either, Just controversy and off field drama. TSN radio is akin to Days of our Lives, garbage radio as is the fan.
I listen to the fan NYC, and although not a huge Baseball fan, they actually talk the sport and not the circus surrounding it like the "sports personalities" in this town.

1050 and 590, you can have them.

johnnyice
05-17-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't think anyone is in denial about the unfortunate situation the Argonauts are in, but you'll find that many are still skeptical of anything a Rogers employee says about the Canadian Football League.

:DAbsolutely correct !

argos1873
05-17-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the marketing "geniuses" who decide what's put on air know their demographics. Gamblers and hype monkeys. I've listened to guys like Mike Hogan, and I know if guys like him had carte blanche he would only talk about things that he was interested in, and/or was knowledgeable in and/or that *true sports fans were interested in. That probably played out fine when there were so many independent media outlets. Now that nearly every major media outlet is owned by a few select conglomerates, there are only 2 things that are important. Ratings, and corporate propaganda. Guys like Hogan are only around still because he's a pretty damn knowledgeable guy, that people from many sports backgrounds respect. The people who replace him will be more often than not corporate shills. Someone needs to resurrect Jim Hunt. Damn I loved that guy.

jerrym
05-17-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the marketing "geniuses" who decide what's put on air know their demographics. Gamblers and hype monkeys. I've listened to guys like Mike Hogan, and I know if guys like him had carte blanche he would only talk about things that he was interested in, and/or was knowledgeable in and/or that *true sports fans were interested in. That probably played out fine when there were so many independent media outlets. Now that nearly every major media outlet is owned by a few select conglomerates, there are only 2 things that are important. Ratings, and corporate propaganda. Guys like Hogan are only around still because he's a pretty damn knowledgeable guy, that people from many sports backgrounds respect. The people who replace him will be more often than not corporate shills. Someone needs to resurrect Jim Hunt. Damn I loved that guy.

While I wouldn't agree that what you said is true in every case, you couldn't have said it better.

argos1873
05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
While I wouldn't agree that what you said is true in every case, you couldn't have said it better.

Nothing is true in every case, just generally speaking. But thanks.

paulwoods13
05-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Ratings have been important since the dawn of radio. Not just since consolidation of ownership.

zontar
05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
So any mea culpas from either Brunt or Mccowan ?

BATKINSON001
05-24-2015, 01:34 PM
So any mea culpas from either Brunt or Mccowan ?

Not sure what that means but all McCown is doing is slagging the argos even more.

ArgoRavi
05-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Where is Brunt these days anyway? I haven't heard hide nor hair of him in a while.

zontar
05-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Where is Brunt these days anyway? I haven't heard hide nor hair of him in a while.

Dissapears to NFLD for fishing this time of year i think

Not sure what that means but all McCown is doing is slagging the argos even more.

Mea culpa - as in - I was wrong about it. What has McCowan been saying ?

I understand the need for a media know it all not to be proven wrong but I dont understand McCowans lust for argo / CFL failure. Goes way beyond Rogers' institutional bias .

Who/what/how/when from the league or Argos whizzed on his pant leg ? Did he get stiffed for free GC tickets ? "Windows" wont rip up his bar tab anymore ?

ArgoRavi
05-24-2015, 02:17 PM
I understand the need for a media know it all not to be proven wrong but I dont understand McCowans lust for argo / CFL failure. Goes way beyond Rogers' institutional bias .

Who/what/how/when from the league or Argos whizzed on his pant leg ? Did he get stiffed for free GC tickets ? "Windows" wont rip up his bar tab anymore ?

If I were to guess, he has a grudge against the league because it was revealed that Braley bankrolled McCown's buddies, Cynamon and Sokolowski. Also, he is still upset about the league not reintroducing gate equalization payments (i.e., revenue sharing) when C & S asked for it just before selling the team to Braley. Finally, McCown was on the 2007 Grey Cup committee and, while that Grey Cup was a success, he is upset that the 2012 Grey Cup is seen as a larger success and that the federal government gave the 2012 Grey Cup committee additional funds to work with.

BATKINSON001
05-24-2015, 02:27 PM
If I were to guess, he has a grudge against the league because it was revealed that Braley bankrolled McCown's buddies, Cynamon and Sokolowski. Also, he is still upset about the league not reintroducing gate equalization payments (i.e., revenue sharing) when C & S asked for it just before selling the team to Braley. Finally, McCown was on the 2007 Grey Cup committee and, while that Grey Cup was a success, he is upset that the 2012 Grey Cup is seen as a larger success and that the federal government gave the 2012 Grey Cup committee additional funds to work with. wasn't there also something about him not being on the 2012 grey cup committee that he's ticked about too?

AngeloV
05-24-2015, 04:27 PM

I think there are 2 things that can pinpoint McCowan's ant CFL feelings.
1)He had a group in the running to get a franchise in Las Vegas during the US expansion era and the league chose Nick Mileti's group instead. Poor choice by the league, but no proof McCowan's group would have done better.
2) The way his buddies C&S left as owners. I really think he took that personally.

Will
05-24-2015, 04:35 PM
I recall McCown and Cox speaking positively of the Argos at the beginning of the C & S ownership. The turning point, I guess, for most of the FAN personalities was whenever (i) Braley took over the team and (ii) the radio rights went to TSN 1050 and pro-CFL personalities such as Hogan and Landry were let go.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8