PDA

View Full Version : New sports editor at Toronto Star

ArgoRavi
10-11-2014, 02:25 PM
A new sports editor has been appointed at the Toronto Star and her name is Jennifer Quinn. Given the many complaints about the lack of Argo coverage in the Star over the last decade or so, perhaps some fans would like to send a polite message to Ms. Quinn about the level of Argo coverage they would like to see in the Star. She can be reached on Twitter @JQStar and her e-mail address is jquinn@thestar.ca.

argotom
10-11-2014, 06:52 PM
A new sports editor has been appointed at the Toronto Star and her name is Jennifer Quinn. Given the many complaints about the lack of Argo coverage in the Star over the last decade or so, perhaps some fans would like to send a polite message to Ms. Quinn about the level of Argo coverage they would like to see in the Star. She can be reached on Twitter @JQStar and her e-mail address is jquinn@thestar.ca.

Although a noble idea Ravi, it will not help.
I use to play flag football with one of the paper's editors.
He was also an Argo fan and for years he would attempt to get more coverage by speaking to upper management.
Unfortunately he told me the decisions to keep the Argos and CFL "down" in the paper is from very high up in the chain of command.
I have cancelled by subscription many years ago and would recommend others do the same, just like anything Rogers, save and except the Crap Dome we have to attend.

Ballstothewall
10-13-2014, 04:25 PM
He was also an Argo fan and for years he would attempt to get more coverage by speaking to upper management.
Unfortunately he told me the decisions to keep the Argos and CFL "down" in the paper is from very high up in the chain of command.
I have cancelled by subscription many years ago and would recommend others do the same, just like anything Rogers, save and except the Crap Dome we have to attend.

The below is the note I received from her after I Emailed her. She was ok with me posting it. Don't understand guys that bitch, then won't spend 2 mins to send a email

Thanks for your note. I had a little LOL at the end - we're celebrating our Thanksgiving today (we'll have CFL and baseball on TV, if the rain in KC holds off). You'll be glad to know that yours is not the only plea for more CFL coverage that I've received - you guys really are a vocal, loyal lot, and I appreciate the dedication. Give me some time to settle in and see what the landscape is. I hope we'll be able to satisfy everyone!

Hope your Thanksgiving was lovely.

Best wishes,

Jennifer

Ballstothewall
10-13-2014, 04:29 PM

My bitching comment was not directed at you, as I know about the Star and it's issue with covering the Argos

rdavies
10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Happy to see the response and have to reiterate how important it is to keep hammering away and not become apathetic. There is a disconnect between Toronto TV ratings and live attendance but like other sports in Toronto, you don't need two million people for a fan base, if 25k people can attend live that would be just fine.

Please don't make the mistake that all writers are knowledgeable. The sports world is a big beat to cover, you can't know everything. Some may have an anti CFL bias (from lack of knowledge and/or social reasons) some may just lack awareness and can be made knowledgeable with a friendly note (as above)

Never take the apathetic stance, as the editor said CFL fans are a vocal and loyal lot (and we know that to be true) she wasn't greenin' ya.

ArgoRavi
03-15-2015, 03:11 PM
I just thought I would throw a bit of praise in the Star's direction as I have noticed that they have had at least one CFL-related article per week (usually authored by Curtis Rush) this off-season. This is a considerable improvement over what we have seen in recent off-seasons and they have been better than the Toronto Sun in this regard this year. There is a good article about Joe Zuger's exclusion from the Hall of Fame in today's Star.

Will
03-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Rush has been doing a good job. I appreciate his positive attitude.

ArgoRavi
03-21-2015, 12:18 AM
The Star published this editorial about the new commissioner and the Argos on Friday: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2015/03/20/argos-future-is-first-priority-for-new-cfl-commissioner-editorial.html

jerrym
03-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Considering what the Star used to publish about the Argos, this is a definite improvement.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8