PDA

View Full Version : DVP is Closed All Weekend, Again.

Neely2005
10-24-2014, 09:12 AM
The Don Valley Parkway will be closed from Tonight until Monday morning. They seem to close the DVP about once a month. It was closed last Sunday too IIRC.

argotom
10-24-2014, 01:31 PM
What a disaster it's going to be to get to the dome.
This the most dysfunctional city to get around be it cars or public transit.
Despite the Hamilton factor, there may be less people than last week?

Will
10-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Take the TTC, take GO Transit take the 427, take Yonge Street, take Avenue Road, take Bathurst, take Kingston Road, take the Bayview extension...

Neely2005
10-24-2014, 01:55 PM
I've never understood why the DVP is closed so often. I don't know of any other highway that's ever completely closed (aside from accidents) usually they'll just close or narrow lanes as needed.

Take the TTC, take GO Transit take the 427, take Yonge Street, take Avenue Road, take Bathurst, take Kingston Road, take the Bayview extension...

We recently moved to Markham so I guess we'll have to drive to Finch Station and take the Subway. Hopefully there aren't any scheduled TTC track repairs this weekend. The funny thing is that even with the free weekend parking at Finch Station it still costs more (and takes longer) for us to take the TTC than it does to drive.

There isn't any GO Train service on the weekends for either of the Stouffville or Richmond Hill lines. Driving to the 427 is to far out of the way and based on past experience any of the alternate routes near the DVP will be a disaster.

AngeloV
10-24-2014, 02:30 PM
I've never understood why the DVP is closed so often. I don't know of any other highway that's ever completely closed (aside from accidents) usually they'll just close or narrow lanes as needed.

We recently moved to Markham so I guess we'll have to drive to Finch Station and take the Subway. Hopefully there aren't any scheduled TTC track repairs this weekend. The funny thing is that even with the free weekend parking at Finch Station it still costs more (and takes longer) for us to take the TTC than it does to drive.

There isn't any GO Train service on the weekends for either of the Stouffville or Richmond Hill lines. Driving to the 427 is to far out of the way and based on past experience any of the alternate routes near the DVP will be a disaster.

I'll be coming from the Thornhill part of Markham. My plan is to take Don Mills to O'Connor. O'Connor to Coxwell. Coxwell to Lakeshore and down to the dome from there. Should take about 45 minutes to the parking lot on the Esplanade.

Neely2005
10-24-2014, 02:58 PM
I'll be coming from the Thornhill part of Markham. My plan is to take Don Mills to O'Connor. O'Connor to Coxwell. Coxwell to Lakeshore and down to the dome from there. Should take about 45 minutes to the parking lot on the Esplanade.

Have you taken that route before when the DVP is closed? If it really is only 45 minutes that might be a better route for us because it takes about 30 minutes just to drive to Finch Station for us.

AngeloV
10-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Have you taken that route before when the DVP is closed? If it really is only 45 minutes that might be a better route for us because it takes about 30 minutes just to drive to Finch Station for us.

I have. Another way would be when you get to the end of Don Mills, turn right on O'connor rather than left. O'Connor turns into Broadview. When you reach Pottery Road (Dairy Queen) turn right and take it to the Bayview extension, then take the Extension to where it ends. It'll take you to Eastern ave at River St. Turn left and follow Eastern westbound. That way you miss all the traffic on Bayview between Eglinton and the extension.

It takes me just over 30 minutes from Finch and Leslie.

Neely2005
10-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Sounds good. Thanks.

AngeloV
10-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Quick note: I came up Don Mills after work today. There is construction between York Mills and Lawrence resulting in lane reductions. I would suggest taking Leslie as far as Lawrence or Eglinton, then go east to Don Mills from there. The rest stays the same.

Neely2005
10-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Quick note: I came up Don Mills after work today. There is construction between York Mills and Lawrence resulting in lane reductions. I would suggest taking Leslie as far as Lawrence or Eglinton, then go east to Don Mills from there. The rest stays the same.

Thanks. Only in Toronto...

Will
10-26-2014, 08:34 AM
I ended up taking Bathurst down to Avenue Road (side streets N of 401 connect the two) and down to Wellington to park at Metro Hall. There was quite a bit of traffic and I don't want to imagine what Bayview, Don Mills or Yonge Street were like given that they are closer to the closed DVP. Even driving up Bathurst at 10:30-11:00 last night the traffic was heavier than usual.

AngeloV
10-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I picked up a biddy in the Finch and Leslie area and left there at 3pm. Took Leslie to Eglinton, Eglinton to Don Mills. Ended up hitting the Bayview extension from Pottery Rd., and took it to the end. Also parked in Metro Center just before 4pm. Missed the kickoff and walked into my section as the Argos were getting the safety. All in all, not too bad. Only traffic areas were when turning onto Pottery Rd, and a bit at the end of the Bayview extension. About 5 minutes each.

Will
10-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Angelo,

When you left Metro Hall was there a power failure or something? I got to the elevator with amchow78 at around 10:30 and it wasn't working and the stairs and everything were dark. There was lighting in the parking garage, but the pay machines weren't working and the attendant waved us through with free parking.

AngeloV
10-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Angelo,

When you left Metro Hall was there a power failure or something? I got to the elevator with amchow78 at around 10:30 and it wasn't working and the stairs and everything were dark. There was lighting in the parking garage, but the pay machines weren't working and the attendant waved us through with free parking.

I had no issues. I got there just prior to 7:30, and I was actually home in Thornhill by 8:30.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8