PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Hate Thread

rdavies
11-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Thought it about time to start it's own separate thread, they surely deserve it.

Finally someone in Toronto, with enough nads to come out and say it. Congratulations Bruce Arthur, let your quote be the battle cry.

Argonauts' foundering franchise in need of saving: Arthur (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/11/06/argonauts_foundering_franchise_in_need_of_saving_a rthur.html)
Bruce Arthur Sports Columnist, thestar.com Nov 06 2014

"There is the fact that Rogers, one of the two corporate giants running MLSE, is hostile to the very notion of the CFL"

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mmwm0n.jpg

1argoholic
11-09-2014, 02:05 PM
I hate massive corporations that own everything as it is. Toss in the fact that this corporation has shite on my Toronto Argonauts for years just makes me hate them all the more. Karma catches up to those who screw people over. Rogers can have their dirty cave for their useless Jays. I just hope we land our our feet.

AngeloV
11-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Easy there rdavies...You may have just offended a couple of Rogers apologists on this forum.

rdavies
11-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Karma catches up to those who screw people over.I wish it did but it usually doesn't. People can be rotten to the core until the bitter end.

Easy there rdavies...You may have just offended a couple of Rogers apologists on this forum.I don't go to battle unarmed, but there is one simple incontrovertible fact that the apologists can't defend and that will be the basis of my argument.

Argonauts' foundering franchise in need of saving: Arthur (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2014/11/06/argonauts_foundering_franchise_in_need_of_saving_a rthur.html)
Bruce Arthur Sports Columnist, thestar.com Nov 06 2014

"There is the fact that Rogers, one of the two corporate giants running MLSE, is hostile to the very notion of the CFL"I think there are quite a few of us across the country who are very hostile to the notion of Rogers. They better hope that we don't become more vocal and/or organized (re: boycotting/cancelling services).

Double Dare
11-10-2014, 07:11 AM
I think there are quite a few of us across the country who are very hostile to the notion of Rogers. They better hope that we don't become more vocal and/or organized (re: boycotting/cancelling services). A "FEW of us" is the right word ... Rogers will operating and making money in some way or another long after we are pushing up daisies ... good luck with trying to undermine their monopoly! (for the record I am not a subscriber to any of Rogers services, but Rogers channels do transmit through my satellite provider ... you can't escape them)

rdavies
11-10-2014, 02:41 PM
No company is safe in today's business environment. Blackberry for example, and even the once unassailable Microsoft are in a precarious position. Still operating but for how long?

And Double Dare if you think it is only a few people that have issues with Rogers you might want to rethink that opinion.

Argocister
11-10-2014, 11:44 PM
As an aside .... Blackberry will be fine for the long term .... Apparently the teachers Union drops MLSE and bought a bunch in Blackberry. Sorry I don't have the details.

Double Dare
11-11-2014, 06:26 AM
As an aside .... Blackberry will be fine for the long term .... Apparently the teachers Union drops MLSE and bought a bunch in Blackberry. Sorry I don't have the details. True. The Government of Canada uses BlackBerry solely. The government will always find a way to keep BB afloat. Rogers is mostly a Southern Ontario thing (followed by a few pockets in Eastern Canada ... Shaw has the monopoly out west) when it comes to cable/internet/phone. They own all kinds of other medium (TV stations, newspapers, magazines). They are not going away. Rogers is not even on 90% of Canadians "hate list". My buddy in the Kawarthas has Bell, I have Bell, there is no sign of Rogers in our areas. So, there are only a FEW people hating Rogers in Southern Ontario. In my friends and family's area they hate Cogeco ... ha, ha.

rdavies
11-11-2014, 09:06 PM
True. The Government of Canada uses BlackBerry solely.I believe they used to use Corel as well. Things change.

Double Dare
11-12-2014, 06:41 AM
I believe they used to use Corel as well. Things change. Yep, now they use Microsoft Office (Word), instead of Word Perfect. "and even the once unassailable Microsoft are in a precarious position"

rdavies
11-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Is MS dominating the handheld market? Don't think so. The UK government is stopping the use of proprietary MS file formats in their documents, that's just the beginning.

rdavies
02-14-2015, 06:06 PM
And yet another reason to hate Rogers

Pick-and-pay cable TV would offer greater choice, CRTC boss says (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/pick-and-pay-cable-tv-would-offer-greater-choice-crtc-boss-says-1.2753436)
Unbundled specialty channels could be more costly depending on choices, Jean-Pierre Blais admits
Tracy Johnson, CBC News Sep 02, 2014

There has been a range of reactions from the television providers. Rogers thinks the U.S. channels still need to be included in basic cable, while Bell doesn’t see it as necessary.

rdavies
02-28-2015, 05:39 PM
And yet another reason to hate Rogers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQSPsDdeRW4

And this comment below the YouTube video

"And then these scumbags had the gall to wave the Canadian flag when their oligopoly was threatened by Virgin. Screw this corporation and their insistence on cramming American stuff down our throat, including trying to sabotage the Argos in Toronto and replace them with an NFL team at the Rogers Centre. Will not be doing business with Rogers."

And as another forum's poster said "an unbelievably petty and childish marketing video" on Rogers behalf.

Deerkeeper
02-28-2015, 08:04 PM
I do give a few kudos to Rogers/Sportsnet for their coverage of other sports like world cup skiing, a particular favourite of mine. However, I was incensed at their coverage of the recent FIS World Championships, or more accurately, lack of coverage. I guess they spent to much money on hockey to at least have their own crew do the event. They just picked up the NBC feed. So we got to hear everything about the US alpine team and very little about the Canadian Alpine team, which had a pretty good championship considering the typical anemic preformance you expect from them. You really screwed the pooch on that one Rogers.

rdavies
03-01-2015, 04:12 AM
So we got to hear everything about the US alpine team and very little about the Canadian Alpine team. You really screwed the pooch on that one Rogers.No, I think that's about right, the Rogers Way.

"Issues"Mcgee
03-06-2015, 03:52 PM
My message to Rogers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OxfUftiYRU

rdavies
04-28-2015, 06:23 AM
I don't even know where to start in their negative actions towards the purchase of the Argos and going to BMO. A truly reprehensible corporation that benefits from Canadian law and screws Canadian heritage.

rdavies
04-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Rogers is being meted a well deserved whipping in the comments below this story Bell, Tanenbaum in talks to buy Argonauts (http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-in-talks-to-buy-argonauts-1.268118)

1argoholic
04-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Nice to read the Rogers anti love by all of those Canadians from every province. Rogers you are SCUM!!!!

"Issues"Mcgee
04-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Nice to read the Rogers anti love by all of those Canadians from every province. Rogers you are SCUM!!!!

I would love to have a couple beers with you. You always beat me to exactly what I want to post.

1argoholic
04-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Beer's good food.

rdavies
04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
With Rogers now letting us know where they stand perhaps some of us should let them know how we feel. Feel free to distribute.
http://i62.tinypic.com/2mmwm0n.jpg

1argoholic
04-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Well it's April 30th and Rogers STILL SUCKS!!!!!!

LLB997
04-30-2015, 08:02 PM
FACK YOU ROGERS YA STUPID PRICKS! that is all

"Issues"Mcgee
04-30-2015, 11:56 PM
All I can say is, their actions against the Argos and Canadian football in general have gone from obnoxious to downright perverse. I've never heard of an organization obsessively going out of its way to stop something while having absolutely nothing to gain from it. If anything, trying to sink the Argos is costing them. The more I think about it, the more twisted it seems. I want to know who the deranged monsters behind all of this are.

That's about as polite as I can possibly put it, and I feel like I'm going to explode.

rdavies
05-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Toronto Life wrote a cover story on all the drama at Rogers corporate headquarters and one of the central themes to the piece was how Rogers became, "the most loathed company in Canada."

The Man Who Would Be King: inside the ruthless battle for control of the $34-billion Rogers empire (http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2014/10/16/edward-rogers-the-man-who-would-be-king/?page=all#tlb_multipage_anchor_2)

T-Bone
05-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Say what you want about Rogers but calling Ted Rogers just an executive is a bit of an under sell. He started one of the most successful Canadian companies ever.

As to Bell:

https://openmedia.ca/news-item/bell-canada-violates-crtc-decision-order-stifle-competition

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/04/16/bell-faces-750m-lawsuit-over-advertising-program.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-media-president-kevin-crull-apologizes-for-intrusion-into-ctv-s-crtc-coverage-1.3009191

Ya, because Rogers has never done anything questionable:

https://openmedia.ca/blog/are-rogers-and-fido-planning-make-competing-mobile-services-more-expensive-canadians

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/rogers-violating-federal-net-neutrality-rules-crtc-says-1.1258560

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/the-law-page/rogers-settles-misleading-advertising-allegations-over-premium-text-services/article23468215/

As for calling Ted Rogers "just an executive," I didn't. Either you have issues with reading comprehension or your putting words in my mouth. I was taking issue with the 12 foot bronze statue of him standing outside of Rogers Centre. That thing belongs at Rogers Headquarters not outside Rogers Centre in my opinion. The fact there is a statue of Ted Rogers there before Joe Carter is really messed up. The bottom line, both companies have some very questionable business practises. Like I said before one is negatively impacting the CFL and the Argos so that puts the other a little bit higher (not much) in the plus column in my books. Also, I'm not a Bell or Rogers costumer.

rdavies
05-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Like I said before one is negatively impacting the CFL and the Argos so that puts the other a little bit higher (not much) in the plus column in my books. Also, I'm not a Bell or Rogers costumer.In my book, that puts Rogers off the charts in the minus column and if this forum is an Argos supporter group, then Rogers is no friend of ours.

T-Bone
05-03-2015, 02:03 PM
In my book, that puts Rogers off the charts in the minus column and if this forum is an Argos supporter group, then Rogers is no friend of ours.
You're free to hate Rogers as much as you want but don't go speaking for others. Not everything is black and white. I'm not a fan of Rogers business practices or what they are doing regarding the CFL or the Argos. As a Jays fan I can't say Rogers has been a bad owner for that team though. If Neely2005 is a fan of Rogers that's his prerogative. His claim that Bell's business practices are that much better than Rogers' though is ridiculous. Both companies do pretty much the same thing. There really is no competition between Bell or Rogers, costumers of their phone, internet, and TV services are getting equally screwed.

AngeloV
05-04-2015, 07:50 PM
There really is no competition between Bell or Rogers, costumers of their phone, internet, and TV services are getting equally screwed.

I was getting screwed way worse with Rogers. I was paying more and getting worse service. My cable would go down at least once a month and had service guys come over at least twice a year with no improvement. In my now almost 3 years with Bell, I have not been without TV reception yet. I also get 4 HD receivers with PVR for the same amount that I was paying for 1 with Rogers. CFL fan or not, my experience with the 2 services isn't close.

gilthethrill
05-06-2015, 04:00 PM
My brother has been employed by Rogers for 25 years....in light of the recent activities I am really gonna "Pearl Harbour" him a the next family reunion.

Argocister
05-06-2015, 11:33 PM
My brother has been employed by Rogers for 25 years....in light of the recent activities I am really gonna "Pearl Harbour" him a the next family reunion.

I suggest everyone show up in Argos shirts or jerseys 😃

LLB997
05-07-2015, 06:21 AM
You're free to hate Rogers as much as you want but don't go speaking for others. Not everything is black and white. I'm not a fan of Rogers business practices or what they are doing regarding the CFL or the Argos. As a Jays fan I can't say Rogers has been a bad owner for that team though. If Neely2005 is a fan of Rogers that's his prerogative. His claim that Bell's business practices are that much better than Rogers' though is ridiculous. Both companies do pretty much the same thing. There really is no competition between Bell or Rogers, costumers of their phone, internet, and TV services are getting equally screwed.

Rogers have been great owners for the Jays, not so much for Jays fans though.

Scooter McCray
08-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Can everybody please stop criticizing Rogers. Their baseball team is about to go on a grueling one week road trip.

HUG ROGERS!!!

argonaut11xx
08-18-2015, 04:37 PM
What size Argo Jersey would fit over that stupid statue of Ted Rogers? Would be a nice idea for the next jays home stand..

T-Bone
08-18-2015, 04:52 PM
What size Argo Jersey would fit over that stupid statue of Ted Rogers? Would be a nice idea for the next jays home stand..
I was thinking of putting a bristol board sized note on him that says "Return to Rogers Headquarters" and the address. That is where the statue should be.

argonaut11xx
08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
I was thinking of putting a bristol board sized note on him that says "Return to Rogers Headquarters" and the address. That is where the statue should be.

or..maybe..."BEAM ME BACK TO THE MOTHERSHIP...(insert rogers HQ address)..."

Whats a misdomeaner fine worth these days anyway????...hahaha

Argocister
08-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Is spray painting a big A on his chest a misdemeanour?

Can everybody please stop criticizing Rogers. Their baseball team is about to go on a grueling one week road trip.

HUG ROGERS!!!

Suck it up babe.... One week is not a gruelling road trip .... If they were
Canadian they would know that !

argonaut11xx
08-21-2015, 02:45 PM
GO ANGELS GO.......

BLOW jays BLOW.....

rogers are pure gutterfilth

Will
08-23-2015, 10:28 PM
GO ANGELS GO.......

BLOW jays BLOW.....

rogers are pure gutterfilth

36 runs in 3 games!

1argoholic
08-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Anyone pissed on the statue yet? haha. After being ripped off for $10 per swill dome beer don't waste it, use it on Ted. I can't drink the swill they serve at the dome.

argofandave
08-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Anyone pissed on the statue yet? haha. After being ripped off for $10 per swill dome beer don't waste it, use it on Ted. I can't drink the swill they serve at the dome.
They actually had tall cans of Hockley Dark at SkyDome on Sunday. Good beer but costs $11.50.

argonaut11xx
08-25-2015, 06:10 PM

My piss is TOO GOOD for that gutterfilth jerk....plus that so called beer they sell at skydome looks like dishwater, and the idiot rogers flunkies are probably mandated to polish up old ted's helmet, er, statue every day

Ron
08-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Always find it funny how folks want to piss on ted, yet it was only after he died that Rogers started to treat the Argos like dog shit.

Scooter McCray
08-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Always find it funny how folks want to piss on ted, yet it was only after he died that Rogers started to treat the Argos like dog shit.

Did you not see that Bills in Toronto press conference. His arrogance about ticket prices, etc... That defined him, his organization and the culture he perpetuated. All of this after stealing the stadium from the taxpayer, and building his empire upon a subsidized industry by the Canadian taxpayer.

​HUG AND MALACHI CRUNCH ROGERS!!!!

Ron
08-28-2015, 02:17 AM
Did you not see that Bills in Toronto press conference. His arrogance about ticket prices, etc... That defined him, his organization and the culture he perpetuated. All of this after stealing the stadium from the taxpayer, and building his empire upon a subsidized industry by the Canadian taxpayer.

​HUG AND MALACHI CRUNCH ROGERS!!!!

1. Yes, he was arrogant about the ticket prices but that is what his "NFL" minions sold him on. Rogers was not a sports fan ... he was a making $ fan.

2. Rogers did NOT steal the stadium from the taxpayer. That's 100% unadulterated Bullshit. (and false too!!) Rogers is the 3rd owner after the taxpayer.

3. Rogers when ted was there was a major CFL sponsor when the CFL had no (and could not get) major sponsors. They only parted company after the CFL found major sponsors that paid more than Rogers.

So Ted was always fine. Now the Rogers of today are scum but crapping on Ted is just ignorance and at worst ... fear of the people doing the crapping today. (Nobody has the cajones to crap on Lind!!)

PS: And since it's obvious you don't know this. The real value of the Dome is still to this day owned by the taxpayer.

Scooter McCray
08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
1. Yes, he was arrogant about the ticket prices but that is what his "NFL" minions sold him on. Rogers was not a sports fan ... he was a making $ fan.

2. Rogers did NOT steal the stadium from the taxpayer. That's 100% unadulterated Bullshit. (and false too!!) Rogers is the 3rd owner after the taxpayer.

3. Rogers when ted was there was a major CFL sponsor when the CFL had no (and could not get) major sponsors. They only parted company after the CFL found major sponsors that paid more than Rogers.

So Ted was always fine. Now the Rogers of today are scum but crapping on Ted is just ignorance and at worst ... fear of the people doing the crapping today. (Nobody has the cajones to crap on Lind!!)

PS: And since it's obvious you don't know this. The real value of the Dome is still to this day owned by the taxpayer.

He brought the NFL here and wanted them here. He bought the stadium for a fraction of what it cost to build in inflated dollars. We subsidized that just like his infrastructure. Why would the CFL want a partner that openly brings NFL here and did little to report on the league. Rogers Corp today is worse because they openly sabotage the team. I'm just saying Ted wasn't a great partner and laid the foundation for what his company is today. Please educate me on how RC is still owned by the taxpayer. If that were the case we would not be looking for somewhere else to play in October.

MALACHI CRUNCH ROGERS

T-Bone
08-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Please educate me on how RC is still owned by the taxpayer.
I believe the land under Rogers Centre is still owned by the city but not the building.

argonaut11xx
08-28-2015, 10:14 AM
I believe the land under Rogers Centre is still owned by the city but not the building.

If that is indeed the case, is rogers paying 100% of the proper taxes? OR did they get a break on that as well. (i would tend to believe the latter)

Will
08-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Canada Lands Company (http://en.clc.ca/property/39)

A product of the fact that the land used to be one giant rail yard.

timlb01
10-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Has anyone cancelled any Rogers services due to the treatment of the Argonauts. It is clear that Rogers is against the CFL, Bell and in turn this is hurting the oldest professional franchise in North America. This is political. That is why they did not want to be part of MLSE bid to buy the Argos.

Who has cancelled services? Has anyone had luck in moving to Bell or to anyone else? I hate Rogers and their bully tactics. Maybe instead of spending billions on a bad television hockey deal they could have competed with TSN/Bell for the CFL rights instead of being sore losers.

Go Argos GO!

1971GreyCup
10-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Did it yesterday. Ported our business cellphone business over to Bell. Not too difficult given the awful customer service at Rogers. Bell should setup at Tim Hortons Field and other stadia and offer CFL promotions to take Rogers accounts. Rogers has it coming.

argotom
10-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Years ago I divested from all Rogers products, cable and cell phones.
The past week I decided not to watch any of the playoff games and I can honestly say didn't miss much.
Now that the BJ won the first round let's unite here for the next round and heaven forbid the WS.
Rogers has done more then enough to try to kill our CFL and the Argos in the city.
Look what has happened this year as the team is basically playing out of a suitcase.
The only exception to my rule was attending the Crap dome as I have been a multi year season ticket holder.
Will anyone join me in this cause?

Argo57
10-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Just moved into a new house 3 weeks ago, we had the choice between Rogers and Bell Fibe, I went with Bell for obvious reasons.

ArgoZ
10-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Rogers offers unmatched performance where I live. Their broadband is superior and a must for my PS4. I much prefer cable to Satellite TV. I am not going to settle for an inferior product to participate in a lost cause, no matter how just it sounds. I did switch my business cell to Telus from Rogers, for a corporate plan with amazing value.

argotom
10-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Rogers offers unmatched performance where I live. Their broadband is superior and a must for my PS4. I much prefer cable to Satellite TV. I am not going to settle for an inferior product to participate in a lost cause, no matter how just it sounds. I did switch my business cell to Telus from Rogers, for a corporate plan with amazing value.

I don't understand what you mean as "lost cause"?

ArgoZ
10-16-2015, 07:56 PM
I don't understand what you mean as "lost cause"?

Easy, 10 Argo fans trying to change the world. As much as I understand the situation, I'm a realist.

argotom
10-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Easy, 10 Argo fans trying to change the world. As much as I understand the situation, I'm a realist.

I adhere to the philosophy of life how each of us in our own way can change things or make a statement.
For you, it therefore appears how voting is also a lost cause as it only counts for one?

argos1873
10-16-2015, 08:47 PM
I have Rogers for my cell phone, but will switch when my contract is up next year SO LONG as Bell can match what Rogers provides me. I'm like ArgoZ. I'm not going to greatly inconvenience myself or cost myself more money for a cause that in the grand scheme of things won't amount to much, but I will when all things given are near equal. If had a lot of spare money or no need for convenience, I would switch from Rogers in a heartbeat.

Its not the same as voting. I know my vote means little but I will inconvenience myself to cast it.

Argo57
10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
I have Rogers for my cell phone, but will switch when my contract is up next year SO LONG as Bell can match what Rogers provides me. I'm like ArgoZ. I'm not going to greatly inconvenience myself or cost myself more money for a cause that in the grand scheme of things won't amount to much, but I will when all things given are near equal. If had a lot of spare money or no need for convenience, I would switch from Rogers in a heartbeat.

Its not the same as voting. I know my vote means little but I will inconvenience myself to cast it.

What's the inconvenience, make your choice (one way or the other) and carry on.

argos1873
10-16-2015, 09:14 PM
What's the inconvenience, make your choice (one way or the other) and carry on.

Not all cell phone plans are equal my friend. Free evenings and weekends, number of texts, amount of data. I have a grandfathered corporate plan from Rogers that allots me those things for no extra cost. I know for sure I can get a similarly priced plan from Bell, but it may lack those extra things that are a convenience to me. So it comes to money or convenience. If Bell can match it, I'm going over simply because of this Argos issue (and simply because of this issue, its not like Bell is this saintly corporation, they just happen to support this one thing I like). If they can't come close, then sorry, I will stay with Rogers. Same like ArgoZ, he will lose his higher speed internet and good cable TV. That's an inconvenience to him.

*EDIT* As a matter of fact speaking of convenience, I would switch to Wind in a heartbeat regardless of this Rogers treating the Argos like crap BS, because I can get an excellent plan from them for less money than I pay Rogers, but their coverage is so crap, its almost useless and therefore inconvenient.

Neely2005
10-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Switched all our services away from Bell years ago. Will never go back to their inferior networks and terrible customer service.

argos1873
10-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Switched all our services away from Bell years ago. Will never go back to their inferior networks and terrible customer service.

That's also it, my original cell services were with Bell. Terrible customer service, complete with outright lies and overcharging. I actually switched to Rogers because of that. Not that they have been much better, but they have been better than Bell was. But that was more than a decade ago, so I will give Bell another shot if they can match what I have from Rogers, only because of this BS.

Argo57
10-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Not all cell phone plans are equal my friend. Free evenings and weekends, number of texts, amount of data. I have a grandfathered corporate plan from Rogers that allots me those things for no extra cost. I know for sure I can get a similarly priced plan from Bell, but it may lack those extra things that are a convenience to me. So it comes to money or convenience. If Bell can match it, I'm going over simply because of this Argos issue (and simply because of this issue, its not like Bell is this saintly corporation, they just happen to support this one thing I like). If they can't come close, then sorry, I will stay with Rogers. Same like ArgoZ, he will lose his higher speed internet and good cable TV. That's an inconvenience to him.

*EDIT* As a matter of fact speaking of convenience, I would switch to Wind in a heartbeat regardless of this Rogers treating the Argos like crap BS, because I can get an excellent plan from them for less money than I pay Rogers, but their coverage is so crap, its almost useless and therefore inconvenient.

No kidding, it's called competition, like I said do what's best for you and carry on, I chose Bell however they all pretty much suck and overcharge for their services, I'm fortunate enough that I don't worry about cell service as my company takes care of that.

argos1873
10-16-2015, 09:43 PM
No kidding, it's called competition, like I said do what's best for you and carry on, I chose Bell however they all pretty much suck and overcharge for their services, I'm fortunate enough that I don't worry about cell service as my company takes care of that.

I get it. Like I said, if I didn't have to care, then I'm going to Bell without question. Not everyone has that option without consideration. I will do what's best for me and carry on, which may or may not be the best thing for the Argos. All things being equal, it will be what's best for the Argos.

1971GreyCup
10-16-2015, 10:11 PM

When I spoke to Bell yesterday, they mentioned crediting my account with the value of my existing contract with Rogers. It was necessary because I always buy my hardware so I am not beholden to anyone. By the way, from a price point of view, Bell offered a package that included an additional user and more data for about the same as Rogers without the additional user.

argos1873
10-16-2015, 10:19 PM
When I spoke to Bell yesterday, they mentioned crediting my account with the value of my existing contract with Rogers. It was necessary because I always buy my hardware so I am not beholden to anyone. By the way, from a price point of view, Bell offered a package that included an additional user and more data for about the same as Rogers without the additional user.

That's good to know. My hardware is unlocked (Nexus 5), but still have a tab with Rogers until February. I will see if they will match and credit me.

Scooter McCray
10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Switched all in July to Bell. Had been with Rogers for 15 years. Saving 40% for the next 2 years. I had wanted to do this for years because of their treatment of Argos.

Next time we are at Rogers Centre let's get a great rendition of Rogers suck when they put up a video tribute to the Rogers years. Whose with me? Let's go...

AngeloV
10-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Switched in August of 2013 to Bell Fibe. It is WAAAAYYYYYY better than Rogers digital as far as TV goes. I've mentioned before, I had huge issues with my Rogers service for years. My digital cable would show crap, they would send over a technician, it would be good for a couple of weeks and it would show crap again. Also lost cable connection very frequently. Since I have switched to Bell, my TV service has been great. I have 4 boxes,3 of which are wireless, and they all show great. I also saved about $100 a month when I first switched for the first year, and still to this date pay $50 less per month than I did with Rogers once you combine all my services.

Downtownfan
10-17-2015, 08:53 AM
I switched my cable to Fibe as soon as it came in a few years ago. When the Rogers rep asked my why I was switching, I specifically said because of their treatment of the Argos and their willingness to bring in the Bills. I was met with stony silence.

Will
10-17-2015, 09:05 AM
I switched my cable to Fibe as soon as it came in a few years ago. When the Rogers rep asked my why I was switching, I specifically said because of their treatment of the Argos and their willingness to bring in the Bills. I was met with stony silence.

Because they are probable dumbfounded that anyone likes the Argos.

timlb01
10-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Next time we are at Rogers Centre let's get a great rendition of Rogers suck when they put up a video tribute to the Rogers years. Whose with me? Let's go...

I love it! F U Rogers! Go Royals Go!

Neely2005
10-17-2015, 10:43 AM

And before a certain poster asks for proof about Rogers having better networks:

Rogers named fastest Internet Service Provider in Canada by PCMag.com:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2424462%2c00.asp

According to a study by comScore, the average Canadian spends more time online per month than citizens of any other country—45 hours a month. North of the border, cable providers rule when it comes to broadband Internet. Fiber services as big as FiOS don't exist there and startups like OneGigabit in Vancouver are hoping to make a Google Fiber-like splash, but they're only getting started.
In Canada there's no provider bigger than Rogers Cable, a subsidiary of gigantic Rogers Communications, which is itself descended from a vacuum tube company. Rogers has subscribers across Ontario, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador. PCMag readers' tests in the provinces showed Rogers has the goods, with a nationwide download speed of 27.2Mbps and upload speed of 2.2Mbps, leading to an index of 22.2 .

Rogers named fastest Mobile Provider in Canada by PCMag.com:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2425457%2c00.asp

In the first-ever nationwide public test of Canadian high-speed mobile networks, we found that in 13 top Canadian metro areas, Bell, Rogers, and Telus offer enviable speeds and respectable reliability. Urban Canadians can get online fast, often at speeds that would make south-of-the-border Americans green with envy.
The peak speeds delivered by the big three carrier's new LTE networks are nothing short of breathtaking. We saw a 92Mbps download on Rogers' 2600MHz LTE network in Vancouver, the highest result we've seen anywhere in four years of testing.

ROGERS Wins Both Fastest Titles Again:

Fastest Mobile Networks Canada:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468510,00.asp

Fastest ISP:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2467272,00.asp

In our second annual test of Canadian wireless service, we found that the "big three" Canadian carriers offer excellent LTE speeds and coverage across the nation's top metro areas, and solid 3G coverage in smaller cities. Bell and Rogers, especially, could really teach U.S. carriers how to build urban LTE networks.

Bell and Rogers trade wins city by city and feature by feature. Rogers' download speeds are unmatched across much of Canada, but Bell's lead on the other factors helped it pull ahead in a slight majority of our cities. We'd say that Rogers has Canada's fastest downloads by a long shot, but Bell has a better-balanced network.

Last year's winner for fastest ISP in Canada makes a return, with improved performance. Rogers is the country's biggest TV and Internet provider, with 930,000 Internet users across Ontario, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador, yet still manages to get the overall best PCMag Speed Index score among its completion. And that 30.3 score is a major improvement over last year's index of 22.2.

Also Rogers is rolling out 4K Ultra HD broadcasts next year.

And they're also rolling out Gig Internet within 1 year. Bell is doing it in 3 years:

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press-releases/2015/10/05/rogers-announces-gigabit-internet-and-world-s-largest-commitment-to-live-sports

argonaut11xx
10-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Neely...your obviously a rogers employee...or some kind of rogers lacky, so i take your rogers cheerleading, and links with a grain of salt.

Rogers, Ted the dead, his idiot son, the blow jays, and all the ANTI-CFL losers that they have in their employ, are HUMAN GUTTERFILTH in my opinion.

Oh and btw, the Skydome is the ONLY name i will ever utter when talking about the concrete convertible by the lake.

Neely2005
10-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Neely...your obviously a rogers employee...or some kind of rogers lacky, so i take your rogers cheerleading, and links with a grain of salt.

Rogers, Ted the dead, his idiot son, the blow jays, and all the ANTI-CFL losers that they have in their employ, are HUMAN GUTTERFILTH in my opinion.

Oh and btw, the Skydome is the ONLY name i will ever utter when talking about the concrete convertible by the lake.

Wrong on both counts. I don't like the way that Rogers treats the Argonauts or the CFL. However I'm not going to join the blind hate all things Rogers bandwagon. I'm able to be objective and see and acknowledge both the good and bad about both Rogers and Bell.

As to the Links they're from an independent 3rd party magazine - PC Magazine.

argonaut11xx
10-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Wrong on both counts. I don't like the way that Rogers treats the Argonauts or the CFL. However I'm not going to join the blind hate all things Rogers bandwagon. I'm able to be objective and see and acknowledge both the good and bad about both Rogers and Bell.

As to the Links they're from an independent 3rd party magazine - PC Magazine.

I disagree, your posts show you as a rogers loyalist.

BTW, who owns, and who are the largest sponsor/advertiser in these rags your quoting? Nothing online, or in print these days is without an agenda.

Its not about rogers v bell for me, its about rogers being ANTI-CFL, ANTI-ARGOS, and UN-Canadian.

To bescumber everything rogers would be appropriate.

AngeloV
10-17-2015, 12:31 PM

He's also a Bruins fan. Yeesh.

:D

argonaut11xx
10-17-2015, 12:42 PM

Well thats the "STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK" ....

hehe

Neely2005
10-17-2015, 12:58 PM
I disagree, your posts show you as a rogers loyalist.

BTW, who owns, and who are the largest sponsor/advertiser in these rags your quoting? Nothing online, or in print these days is without an agenda.

Its not about rogers v bell for me, its about rogers being ANTI-CFL, ANTI-ARGOS, and UN-Canadian.

To bescumber everything rogers would be appropriate.

No I'm able to be objective and see both the positives and negatives but you've already shown that you have a difficult time dealing with anyone that has a different opinion than you.

As to PC Magazine a quick Google search reveals:

PC Magazine (sometimes referred to as PC Mag) is a computer magazine published by Ziff Davis. A print edition was published from 1982 to January 2009. Publication of online editions started in late 1994 and continues to this day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Magazine

Yup the Bruins and the Argonauts are my teams.

Certainly no one here could cheer for the Leafs / Raptors / Marlies / Jays or TFC since they're all owned by Rogers & cheering for any of them would be "UN-CANADIAN"!

argonaut11xx
10-17-2015, 02:43 PM
"said Argonauts Executive Chairman & CEO, Chris Rudge. “We have reviewed the ALCS championship schedule and, despite nearly five days between potential baseball home dates, we have been informed by Rogers Centre officials that there is insufficient time to convert the stadium from baseball to football, and then back again, to accommodate our game on the 23rd"

Neely2005
10-17-2015, 02:58 PM
"said Argonauts Executive Chairman & CEO, Chris Rudge. “We have reviewed the ALCS championship schedule and, despite nearly five days between potential baseball home dates, we have been informed by Rogers Centre officials that there is insufficient time to convert the stadium from baseball to football, and then back again, to accommodate our game on the 23rd"

Rogers is obviously not bring truthful as their own website says that it takes about 30 hours to convert the field:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/rogers-centre--staff-contradict-themselves-on-field-conversion-with-argos-move-212545321.html

argofandave
10-18-2015, 12:42 AM
The SkyDome website still shows the Argos playing there on October 6th, 17th, and 23rd.

shayman
10-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Dropped Rogers Cable in favour of an antenna years ago - but after moving to Oakville and discovering my wife can't exist without the Food Network, we have cable again but fortunately it's Cogeco. I get pretty good internet speeds with them too. (120 Mbps down. wheee.)

Given everything that's going on., a month ago I finally moved all the family cell phones off of Rogers on to Telus, and last week I dropped NextIssue (Texture) - a tablet-based sort of Netflix-of-Magazines thing also run by Rogers.

No regrets on any of this (well, a small regret about NextIssue, I did like that.) I almost want to sign up for something else so I can drop it too. It's very satisfying to let them know why.

timlb01
10-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Did everyone notice the Rogers ad at centre field at THF Saturday! How about we get some black paint that will adhere to the turf and cross it out Friday night. Rogers U Suck! Screwing the CFL anyway you can.

Fumblitis
10-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Easy, 10 Argo fans trying to change the world. As much as I understand the situation, I'm a realist.10 Argo fans? No the animosity and abandonment towards Rogers is league wide, myself included.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?132447-Rogers-officials-5-days-not-enough-time-to-convert-Rogers-Centre-so-Argos-are-out

Neely2005
10-19-2015, 03:39 PM
10 Argo fans? No the animosity and abandonment towards Rogers is league wide, myself included.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?132447-Rogers-officials-5-days-not-enough-time-to-convert-Rogers-Centre-so-Argos-are-out

Well there's definitely some animosity towards Toronto, the Argonauts and their fans in that thread.

Argo57
10-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Dropped Rogers Cable in favour of an antenna years ago - but after moving to Oakville and discovering my wife can't exist without the Food Network, we have cable again but fortunately it's Cogeco. I get pretty good internet speeds with them too. (120 Mbps down. wheee.)

Given everything that's going on., a month ago I finally moved all the family cell phones off of Rogers on to Telus, and last week I dropped NextIssue (Texture) - a tablet-based sort of Netflix-of-Magazines thing also run by Rogers.

No regrets on any of this (well, a small regret about NextIssue, I did like that.) I almost want to sign up for something else so I can drop it too. It's very satisfying to let them know why.

Sorry buddy, you can't win, Rogers owns 11.40% of Cogeco.

shayman
10-19-2015, 08:21 PM
sorry buddy, you can't win, rogers owns 11.40% of cogeco.
nooooooooooooooooooo!

Fumblitis
10-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Well there's definitely some animosity towards Toronto, the Argonauts and their fans in that thread.Where is the animosity towards Toronto, the Argos and their fans? Maybe the odd village idiot here and there.

Neely2005
10-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Where is the animosity towards Toronto, the Argos and their fans? Maybe the odd village idiot here and there.

Negative posts about the city of Toronto, it's fan base being wimps, there not being a fan base...

1argoholic
11-03-2015, 09:46 AM
People have to take a stand when they feel the need. Might just be my old punk sensibilities but I'm always taking my own personal stand. I don't do big box stores 99.9% of the time. I don't drink or buy anything at Rogers. I don't support big corporations by purchasing their products. I don't buy stuff from China. They are massive polluters, treat many of their people and the environment like SHITE. I don't support mainstream SHITE!!!! The list goes on.
It's not like I'm out there spreading my views like some sort of whacked out cult leader it's just how I live. Tell me huge corporations don't realize this. There's a reason the huge beer guys keep buying up little craft breweries. They want it all. I'd stop drinking beer if I couldn't get quality craft beer. I won't drink another Mill Street Beer as they've sold themselves down the river. Oi Oi Oi!!!!!

Plus if I can't get quality craft Nut Brown Ale for my squirrel I'll have to cut him off of beer as well.

1argoholic
11-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Saw a two minute segment while flipping channels after the Argo win. On a Jays special show Brad Faye asked Steven Brunt about what might happen now that the Argos will be at BMO. Brunt said don't hold your breath on natural sod. Nice and isn't this the main reason those A$$holes at Rogers wanted us gone. Screw them and their rundown dome.

ArgoRavi
11-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Saw a two minute segment while flipping channels after the Argo win. On a Jays special show Brad Faye asked Steven Brunt about what might happen now that the Argos will be at BMO. Brunt said don't hold your breath on natural sod. Nice and isn't this the main reason those A$$holes at Rogers wanted us gone. Screw them and their rundown dome.

The Jays can do whatever they want for all that I care. Rogers and the SkyDome were killing the Argos and they absolutely had to get out of there.

jerrym
01-03-2016, 01:15 PM
When it comes to Rogers, I have one comment. Free at last, free at last!

jerrym
01-25-2016, 05:41 PM
After treating the Argos so badly in terms of scheduling and other things for so many years, Rogers which wants nothing to do with what is such a low-level sport in its view, may be having to deal with karma.
After signing a very expensive deal with the NHL, it has a problem. As of today, not one NHL Canadian team is in a playoff position in the standings. Certainly things can change quickly as witnessed in the opposite direction by Montreal's nosedive in the standings after a 9-0 start. However, the history of Canadian NHL viewership shows that it falls as Canadian teams drop out of the Stanley Cup race and drops even more once all Canadian teams are gone. Not good news for Rogers.
Only once in history (1969-1970) was there no Canadian team in the playoffs. Could this be happening again?
Furthermore, with the drop in the value of the Canadian dollar, Canadian teams are going to find it increasingly difficult to compete with American teams over time. This already happened the last time the Canadian dollar hit the skids, contributing to the relocation of some teams to the US. However, I think the Canadian teams are in a better position to at least survive, if not thrive.
I am not looking forward to such a playoff picture, but somewhere out there Buddha, Bell and Braley must be smirking.

Scooter McCray
01-25-2016, 05:46 PM
After treating the Argos so badly in terms of scheduling and other things for so many years, Rogers which wants nothing to do with what is such a low-level sport in its view, may be having to deal with karma.
After signing a very expensive deal with the NHL, it has a problem. As of today, not one NHL Canadian team is in a playoff position in the standings. Certainly things can change quickly as witnessed in the opposite direction by Montreal's nosedive in the standings after a 9-0 start. However, the history of Canadian NHL viewership shows that it falls as Canadian teams drop out of the Stanley Cup race and drops even more once all Canadian teams are gone. Not good news for Rogers.Only once in history (1969-1970) was there no Canadian team in the playoffs. Could this be happening again?
Furthermore, with the drop in the value of the Canadian dollar, Canadian teams are going to find it increasingly difficult to compete with American teams over time. This already happened the last time the Canadian dollar hit the skids, contributing to the relocation of some teams to the US. However, I think the Canadian teams are in a better position to at least survive, if not thrive.
I am not looking forward to such a playoff picture, but somewhere out there Buddha, Bell and Braley must be smirking. Serenity Now, Insanity Later

Neely2005
01-25-2016, 05:49 PM
http://www.emqtv.com/rogers-communications-inc-rci-raised-to-hold-at-zacks-investment-research/157510/

"Rogers Communications reported impressive third-quarter 2015 financial results, wherein both the top and the bottom line steered past the Zacks Consensus Estimate. In the reported quarter, the company witnessed a higher number of smartphone activations. We believe significant LTE network expansion, innovative service launches, major contract wins, improved postpaid ARPU, strong cable subscriber growth and an attractive dividend yield will continue to act as tailwinds for the company, going forward."

Scooter McCray
01-25-2016, 06:18 PM
http://www.emqtv.com/rogers-communications-inc-rci-raised-to-hold-at-zacks-investment-research/157510/

"Rogers Communications reported impressive third-quarter 2015 financial results, wherein both the top and the bottom line steered past the Zacks Consensus Estimate. In the reported quarter, the company witnessed a higher number of smartphone activations. We believe significant LTE network expansion, innovative service launches, major contract wins, improved postpaid ARPU, strong cable subscriber growth and an attractive dividend yield will continue to act as tailwinds for the company, going forward."

You forgot to add "upgraded shares of Rogers Communications Inc. (NYSE:RCI) from a sell rating to a hold rating in a research report released on Sunday morning,MarketBeat Ratings (http://www.marketbeat.com/) reports."

Going from a sell to a hold is not a ringing endorsement albeit an improvement. If no Cdn teams make the NHL playoffs that is going to hurt. As would a step back by the Blue Jays this year. Rogers has a lot of corporate debt. Moreso than its peers. They likely overpaid to get hockey.

ArgoRavi
01-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Rogers will be laying off 200 employees beginning next month: http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/01/25/rogers-to-cut-200-media-and-admin-jobs.html

Neely2005
01-25-2016, 09:54 PM
You forgot to add "upgraded shares of Rogers Communications Inc. (NYSE:RCI) from a sell rating to a hold rating in a research report released on Sunday morning,MarketBeat Ratings (http://www.marketbeat.com/) reports."

Going from a sell to a hold is not a ringing endorsement albeit an improvement. If no Cdn teams make the NHL playoffs that is going to hurt. As would a step back by the Blue Jays this year. Rogers has a lot of corporate debt. Moreso than its peers. They likely overpaid to get hockey.

Regardless their profits are up. Their stocks are up on the Dow Jones and the TSX. Their wireless subscribers are up. Their ratings are up. Sportsnet has passed TSN in ratings. They launched 4K TV. FAN590 ratings are up. The Blue Jays are hot again. And they have the NHL locked up. This thread is nonsensical and incredibly poorly timed.

Rogers will be laying off 200 employees beginning next month: http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/01/25/rogers-to-cut-200-media-and-admin-jobs.html

And Bell cuts 380:

Bell Media mass job cut affects TV personalities
Job losses hit hard at Bell Media networks CTV News, TSN and Newstalk 1010.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/11/18/bell-media-mass-job-cut-affects-tv-personalities.html

"Issues"Mcgee
01-26-2016, 01:14 AM
The telecom cartel has decided that local news coverage is no longer profitable.

1argoholic
01-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Plus Rogers blows dead donkey's.

Double Dare
03-14-2016, 12:38 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/blue-jays-fan-threatens-to-toss-ted-rogers-statue-into-harbour-prompting-police-response/ar-AAgK0AZ?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignoutmd

1argoholic
03-14-2016, 02:34 PM
hahahaha. Why the mob doesn't use social media.

rdavies
03-14-2016, 05:45 PM
As much as I hate Rogers people do have to be accountable for what they say. In this day and age we don't know which people threatening violence are serious or not. Some of these morons are dumb enough to post their very real threats online.

I would assume with the title of this thread being what it is Rogers probably knows about it. I don't like the company but I can't blame them for taking tweets like that seriously.

Is there a RPB hate thread, because what some of those aholes have been posting lately I might start one if it doesn't already exist.

Ron
03-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Well considering his username is "I am an asshole" I feel it was justified for Any company to act as they did.

Double Dare
03-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Is there a RPB hate thread, because what some of those aholes have been posting lately I might start one if it doesn't already exist. Right on!!!

1argoholic
03-15-2016, 02:05 PM
I think CFL fans should all stop at least once or twice during Grey Cup weekend to use a certain building as a place to dispose of kidney filtered alcohol.

Double Dare
03-15-2016, 02:23 PM
I think CFL fans should all stop at least once or twice during Grey Cup weekend to use a certain statue as a place to dispose of kidney filtered alcohol. Fixed it.

jerrym
04-03-2016, 09:54 PM
With all the Canadian teams officially out of the playoffs now, karma has come to haunt Rogers.

But Lord Stanley's Cup will not return to Canada this year. For the first time since 1970, there are no Canadian teams (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/no-canadian-teams-nhl-playoffs-1.3513988) in the NHL playoffs. ...

It's not only the fans who will be affected. This is also bad news for bars, restaurants and broadcasters hoping to draw big revenue from Canadians looking to root for the home team. ...

Some suggest the success of Canada's other professional sports franchises in recent years is helping grow those games — at hockey's expense.
Major League Baseball returns this weekend, with the Toronto Blue Jays, still riding high on an impressive late-season run in 2015 that saw them reach the ALCS. And the Toronto Raptors have clinched an NBA playoff berth that begins mid-month.
Canada has become a breeding ground for NBA talent in recent years, with Canadian players taking the No. 1 draft picks in 2013 and 2014.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nhl-playoffs-canadian-psyche-1.3516793

jerrym
04-03-2016, 10:07 PM
These comments for a blog in January not only note that the Canadian NHL teams are not likely to make the playoffs, they show strong hostility to Rogers in general and "brutal broadcasts" of the games. There are more quotes besides the ones I copied.

Rogers in the second year of its 12-year, $5.2 billion deal with the NHL. If no Canadian teams make the playoffs, ratings will take a serious hit, and there's absolutely nothing Rogers can do about it.
Personally, the only Canadian-based NHL team I give a rat's ass about is my Toronto Maple Leafs, and I'm loving the Shanaplan. Everything is going according to plan... I just hope Reimer doesn't steal too many points down the stretch. Just lose, baby... our future depends on it.

[quote]

Rogers in the second year of its 12-year, $5.2 billion deal with the NHL. If no Canadian teams make the playoffs, ratings will take a serious hit, and there's absolutely nothing Rogers can do about it. ...

Comments
anon Love it that Rogers is losing $$$$, but don't worry they make up for it with the Jays. It was a complete overbid for those rights & that buffoon Bettman was all too eager to accept. (Note: a smart buffoon was he) Avoid anything related to Bell/Rogers, like Domi says "Support the little guy".January 23, 2016 / 14:59
(http://www.torontomike.com/2016/01/canadian-based_nhl_teams_suck_and.html#comment-284063)Rob J Ok, they spent huge on the rights...but then they commit a double-minor by presenting a brutal broadcast, foisting unlikeable pro-Leafs personalities onto a national audience, and then decide to hitch their wagon to one of the league's worst teams over 40+ years giving them the prime HNIC slot most weeks. Almost like Rogers owns the team or something. January 23, 2016 / 15:10 (http://www.torontomike.com/2016/01/canadian-based_nhl_teams_suck_and.html#comment-284064)
GAry I don't think the lack of Canadian teams in playoff contention is the biggest reason for the ratings decline. Their horrible broadcasts are a big contributor in my opinion.
steve Wednesday's horror show won't help ratings, Columbus 3 - 1, over the Leafs. It was terrible hockey, from both teams! The quality of play was sub-par, broken plays, missed passes, unforced giveaways, there was never any sense of urgency or tenacity from either team, certainly nothing that triggered an extended run of quality shifts by either team. (http://www.torontomike.com/2016/01/canadian-based_nhl_teams_suck_and.html#comment-284065)

http://www.torontomike.com/2016/01/canadian-based_nhl_teams_suck_and.html

jerrym
04-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Further evidence that Rogers will suffer because of the lack of Canadian teams in the playoffs.

So a looming Canadian playoff drought could spell trouble for Rogers, he said. The company depends on high viewership to be able to sell playoff advertising spots for hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. That revenue then helps pay for the yearly cost of its NHL broadcast rights.
Rogers declined to comment on the prospect of a Canada-free playoff season.
But Ryder predicts playoff viewership could fall by 25 to 35 per cent this year.

Rogers NHL deal could take years to pay off, Quebecor says (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/quebecor-says-it-will-take-5-years-for-nhl-deal-to-pay-1.2990175)
"They're going to take a massive hit," said Detlev Zwick, an associate professor of marketing at York University's Schulich School of Business. He projects a viewership drop between 30 and 40 per cent — if not more — compared to last year.
"Simply, the product they sold to or they're going to sell to advertisers is just not worth as much."
If significantly fewer fans tune in, he said, it's likely Rogers will offer discounted ad space, while companies that have already purchased slots may try to renegotiate the terms of their contracts. ...

"They're going to take a massive hit," said Detlev Zwick, an associate professor of marketing at York University's Schulich School of Business. He projects a viewership drop between 30 and 40 per cent — if not more — compared to last year. ...
But if the low Canadian dollar weakens the ability of Canadian franchises to attract top talent, Ryder added, Rogers could be facing the same problem next year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-nhl-playoffs-1.3461906

Argo57
04-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Further evidence that Rogers will suffer because of the lack of Canadian teams in the playoffs.

What a shame!

R.J
04-05-2016, 04:12 PM
http://torontosportsmedia.com/business-of-sports/changes-at-rogers-sportsnet-nhl/20682

I can see a lot more changes coming; the deal rogers signed was a massive mistake, keeping PJ Stock, Glenn Healy and naming George Strompolos host were mistakes as well IMO.

Neely2005
04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Rogers sold the French NHL TV rights to TVA for 1.5+ Billion dollars.

The first regular season Blue Jays game had almost 1.5 million viewers.

R.J
04-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Rogers sold the French NHL TV rights to TVA for 1.5+ Billion dollars.

The first regular season Blue Jays game had almost 1.5 million viewers.
And ?

Ron
04-06-2016, 04:37 PM
In summary

If you hate Rogers then Karma is at work and their financials are not good.

If you have no hate for Rogers and just see them as they are ... then no Karma at work and their financials are solid. (Going from sell to hold is a big deal in the current market climate)

Conclusion

This thread is an example of latent longing. Even after Rogers has nothing to do with the Argos .... some folks are so enamored with thinking about them that they have to keep talking about them. Much like that girlfriend you hated and finally were rid of... still fills your mind with thoughts about her that you refuse to let go of due to latent longing.

Bullet point: 1argo is right. They suck so forget about them. (If you can)

rdavies
04-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Top hockey producer’s firing before NHL playoffs hints at Rogers turmoil (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/top-hockey-producers-firing-before-nhl-playoffs-hints-at-rogers-turmoil/article29548827/)
DAVID SHOALTS The Globe and Mail Apr. 08, 2016

An Angus Reid Institute poll has driven an exclamation point into what executives at beleaguered Rogers Media already know – most Canadians will not be watching the NHL playoffs this spring.

But at Rogers, the blood was already on the floor thanks to the fact that none of the seven Canadian NHL teams will be in the playoffs for the first time since 1970. On Tuesday, the man in charge of hockey production at Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada, senior vice-president Gord Cutler, was fired. Before that, several staffers in the hockey department were laid off.

While company insiders said Cutler’s dismissal was a financial move since he was undoubtedly hired away from rival Bell Media’s TSN two years ago with a healthy salary, the timing was extraordinary. No one could remember a network firing its head of production with the NHL playoffs days away.

The move hinted at the turmoil in Rogers Media, which has seen even more ratings trouble in the second season of its $5.2-billion, 12-year contract with the NHL for the national Canadian broadcast rights. While Cutler cannot be held responsible for a 16-per-cent decline in Hockey Night In Canada ratings through late March, which follows a 16-per-cent decline in the first year of the deal from the 2013-14 season, CBC’s last year broadcasting the show, his departure is a sign there may be unhappiness with the on-air product at the highest level of Rogers, even above Sportsnet president Scott Moore and Rogers Media president Rick Brace.

A Rogers spokeswoman said Moore would not be available for comment until later this week.

When ratings do not reach the projections given to advertisers, broadcasters have to give their clients free commercial time as compensation, known as make-goods. The problem for Rogers is that the loss of viewers is so severe that it has to give out far more make-goods than was planned.

One source in the advertising industry and one in the broadcast industry say the free spots, two of which are being given for every paid ad, have eaten up a significant portion of Rogers’s playoff hockey inventory. This means there is much less to sell to paying clients, which further hurts revenue when Rogers usually would expect to sell playoff advertising at a significant premium. The company is putting some make-goods on its Toronto Blue Jays broadcasts and entertainment shows, and that, too, cuts into the sales of advertising time.

“It is kind of grim, but unlike the fairy tales, it is reality,” said the advertising source, who requested not to be identified because of a business relationship with Rogers.

Hockey fans’ unhappiness has been building since late January, when all seven Canadian teams started wobbling. Of the 1,522 Canadian adults Angus Reid surveyed from March 28 to 31, 54 per cent said they planned to watch either less of the NHL playoffs than they did a year ago or none.

Only 30 per cent of the respondents said they plan to watch the same amount they did in 2015. Nineteen per cent said they will watch no playoff hockey, while 35 per cent said they will watch less than a year ago. All of the respondents said they usually watch the playoffs. The full results of the survey, released on Thursday, are on Angus Reid’s web site.

The trouble signs for Sportsnet began at the start of the 2015-16 NHL season thanks to the network’s unexpected success story, the Toronto Blue Jays. According to multiple sources, some major advertisers took advantage of provisions in their contracts with Rogers that allowed them to switch their commercials from the hockey broadcasts to the Blue Jays as they went on their run through the baseball playoffs in October.

According to another advertising source (who also requested anonymity because of direct dealings with Rogers), some companies could do this, but they had to pay a premium, because the Jays were getting audiences of three million or more.

Another source said the audience numbers for hockey reached only 77 per cent of the projections Rogers gave advertisers in the fall of 2015.

Rogers was also hit by a drop in ratings for its conventional shows on its City channels and specialty networks such as OLN, the source said. This makes it difficult to satisfy advertisers who demand a certain audience level for make-goods on those channels. It also eats into the advertising inventory for those shows.

Broadcasting insiders have suggested Rogers could get some revenue relief by selling games from its national package to TSN. However, a source close to senior management at TSN said the network, which remains profitable, is not interested in buying any NHL games.

This is not surprising given the ratings tumble for Rogers. By late March, the average audience for the early game on Saturday’s Hockey Night In Canada was down to 1.66 million from more than 1.9 million in 2014-15. When the biggest driver of hockey ratings, the Toronto Maple Leafs, were competitive, audiences for those games routinely exceeded two million.

However, the largest audience for a Leafs game between Jan. 3 and April 2 was the 1.8 million who watched on Saturday, Jan. 23. That may look good compared with this season’s average, but it was against the Montreal Canadiens, a matchup that used to draw more than two million viewers. By April 2, the viewers were down to 826,500 on both the CBC and City for a game between the Leafs and another strong rival, the Detroit Red Wings.

Moore acknowledged the problems of poor ratings and falling advertising revenue caused by the Canadian teams’ lacklustre play in a recent memo to Sportsnet staff. He also mentioned layoffs, part of Rogers’s announcement a few months ago of 200 job losses, that hit the hockey department for the first time. But he did not draw a direct link between the Canadian teams and the layoffs.

However, Sportsnet staffers see the connection and it has not been good for morale. This was compounded by Cutler’s firing, which came long after Moore’s memo. There is much fear at the network about more layoffs once the hockey season is over.

“There’s tons of concern about that,” one Rogers employee said. “That’s all anybody talks about.”

jerrym
04-16-2016, 11:03 PM
the biggest roll of the dice in Canadian TV history has come up snake eyes. All seven Canadian teams sit on the sidelines as Rogers Media wraps up the second season of a $5.2-billion, 12-year deal with the NHL.The Canadian team collapse will cost money, says Sportsnet president Scott Moore.
"There are definitely differences in our ratings expectations that definitely impacts the prices that we charge," he said in an interview.
Last year, for example, first-round playoff games between the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators averaged 3.2 million viewers, with one game soaring to 3.763 million. When all Canadian teams were eliminated by the third round, half the audience went with them.
In addition to the elimination of the Canadiens, Senators and other Canadian teams, the last-place finish for the Toronto Maple Leafs has also been a blow for Rogers. With little to cheer for in Canada's largest TV market, ratings took a massive hit. ...
Overnight estimates for last Saturday's "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast — a Canadian tradition that for decades routinely averaged more than two million viewers — were just 721,000.
Over a 30-week period, ratings for the early game on "Hockey Night in Canada" are down 18 per cent for the season. Later games out west are down 19 per cent on average.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04/12/rogers-feeling-the-sting-of-all-seven-canadian-teams-missing-nhl-playoffs_n_9671502.html

Neely2005
04-19-2016, 07:23 PM

Rogers Communications Inc. says it will make profit on NHL rights deal this year, ‘without any shadow of a doubt’

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/trading-desk/rogers-communications-inc-says-it-will-make-a-profit-on-its-nhl-rights-this-year-without-any-shadow-of-a-doubt?__lsa=c490-d2fc

TORONTO — Even without any Canadian teams in this year’s National Hockey League playoffs, Rogers Communications Inc. expects to make a 10 per cent return on its NHL rights investment this year.

Speaking to media following the company’s annual general meeting Tuesday, chief executive Guy Laurence said that figure is an estimate that depends on how the playoffs go. However, he said this year’s spending on NHL rights “will absolutely, definitely, without any shadow of a doubt, make a profit, period,” although likely a slightly smaller one than last year.

Last year’s return on NHL rights was “in excess” of 10 per cent by a couple of percentage points, he said.

rdavies
04-19-2016, 07:37 PM
My schadenfreude level is at an all time high, I am lovin' this (I'd put a smiley but all we have are these ridiculous giant blue ones)

Playoff TV ratings down a ‘shocking’ 61 percent in Canada (http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/playoff-tv-ratings-down-a-shocking-61-percent-in-canada/)
Ken Campbell The Hockey News April 19, 2016

Having no Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs was expected to have an adverse effect on TV ratings, but even people in the industry are taken aback at how viewers north of the 49th parallel have tuned out this year’s tournament in CBC and Sportsnet.

Through the first five nights of hockey in the playoffs – from last Wednesday (April 13) through Sunday (April 17) – an average of just 513,000 viewers tuned into the 20 NHL playoff games. Compare that to last spring when there were five Canadian teams playing in the first round and an average of 1.306 million viewers tuned into the first 21 first-round games. That’s a drop of 61 percent from last season.

“Even with no Canadian teams, those are shockingly low numbers,” said one industry expert. “There were regular season games on TSN two years ago that did better than that.”

Attempts by thn.com to reach Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and NHL properties for Rogers, were not successful.

It’s a shame because Canadians who have not tuned in have missed out on some pretty entertaining hockey. But when there is no rooting interest, the numbers are bound to suffer. Much of that, said one insider, is due to the fact that the life had been sucked out of the Canadian teams pretty much since the all-star break when it became clear that no Canadian teams would make the playoffs this season. That diminished interest early and since there were no Canadian teams that were even battling for a playoff spot down the wire, fans of those teams have tuned out and, apparently, remained tuned out.

Of course it doesn’t help that the biggest ratings driver in the country was basically out of the playoffs when it won just one of its first 10 games back in October. From that time, the only race the Toronto Maple Leafs were involved in was the one for 30th place, which is exactly where they finished.

The question now is, can the ratings improve over the course of the rest of the playoffs? Typically, interest in the playoffs diminishes after the first round, but there are some compelling possibilities. The Washington Capitals are serving notice that they mean business in this post-season and they are a compelling story. And if the Pittsburgh Penguins can get past the New York Rangers in the first round, it sets up another Alex Ovechkin–Sidney Crosby matchup in the second round, which is bound to draw in more than just the hard-core hockey fans. In the west, the St. Louis Blues are giving the defending Stanley Cup champions all they can handle and the San Jose Sharks- Los Angeles Kings matchup is proving to be the heavyweight battle that was predicted.

Each game costs about $100,000 to produce and thus far, Hockey Night in Canada has had broadcast crews on hand for four series – Los Angeles vs. San Jose, Detroit vs. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh vs. the Rangers and Washington vs. Philadelphia. One source close to the situation said that if the Capitals close out the Flyers in four games on Wednesday night, perhaps the crew working that series would move to the series between the New York Islanders and Florida Panthers.

In terms of the bigger picture, what does it mean when just one in every 69 Canadians is regularly tuning into NHL games at the most crucial time of the year? Even with no Canadian teams, that’s a low number. Perhaps people in Canada are more fans of Canadian teams than they are of the game itself. One thing is certain, broadcasters are missing out big-time on the casual hockey fan, the one who tunes in during the playoffs because he/she has a rooting interest, and that is showing up loud and clear in the ratings numbers.

Neely2005
04-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Rogers Communications Inc. says it will make profit on NHL rights deal this year, ‘without any shadow of a doubt’

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/trading-desk/rogers-communications-inc-says-it-will-make-a-profit-on-its-nhl-rights-this-year-without-any-shadow-of-a-doubt?__lsa=c490-d2fc

TORONTO — Even without any Canadian teams in this year’s National Hockey League playoffs, Rogers Communications Inc. expects to make a 10 per cent return on its NHL rights investment this year.

Speaking to media following the company’s annual general meeting Tuesday, chief executive Guy Laurence said that figure is an estimate that depends on how the playoffs go. However, he said this year’s spending on NHL rights “will absolutely, definitely, without any shadow of a doubt, make a profit, period,” although likely a slightly smaller one than last year.

Last year’s return on NHL rights was “in excess” of 10 per cent by a couple of percentage points, he said.

rdavies
04-19-2016, 08:36 PM
I see you've posted the above at a few places. A little hard to believe isn't it? Especially when you have to do all those "make goods"

Neely2005
04-19-2016, 10:33 PM
I see you've posted the above at a few places. A little hard to believe isn't it? Especially when you have to do all those "make goods"

Not at all. Rogers is a publicly traded company, if the CEO lies about financial matters it's illegal. I doubt he's going to risk that.

Also it's the regular season and playoff numbers that determine the return. Not just the playoffs.

argolio
04-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Translation: Guy Laurence is full of sh:t.

argolio
04-19-2016, 11:49 PM
Not at all. Rogers is a publicly traded company, if the CEO lies about financial matters it's illegal. I doubt he's going to risk that.It's only illegal if Rogers files fraudulent financial info. Plenty of executives have issued public predictions that didn't come to fruition. And the way Rogers moves money around, they'll almost certainly never admit losing money on the NHL deal even if they do.

Neely2005
04-20-2016, 10:15 AM
It's only illegal if Rogers files fraudulent financial info. Plenty of executives have issued public predictions that didn't come to fruition. And the way Rogers moves money around, they'll almost certainly never admit losing money on the NHL deal even if they do.

He was on the Investors Call discussing the just released Rogers Q1 results when he said that. Do you really think that he's going to risk lying on an Investors Call which is a matter of public record?

argolio
04-20-2016, 11:45 PM
He was on the Investors Call discussing the just released Rogers Q1 results when he said that. Do you really think that he's going to risk lying on an Investors Call which is a matter of public record?What risk? Again, it's very likely we'll never know if they end up losing money.

R.J
04-21-2016, 12:17 AM
Rogers also originally stated that the Bill in Toronto Series was successful.

Neely2005
04-21-2016, 10:33 PM
What risk? Again, it's very likely we'll never know if they end up losing money.

Giving false information to investors about a publicly traded company is punishable by the OSC & the SEC.

argolio
04-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Giving false information to investors about a publicly traded company is punishable by the OSC & the SEC.So why didn't anyone go after Rogers for lying through their teeth about the profitability of the Bills in Toronto games? Seems pretty obvious that those kinds of general statements to the public ("we made/are making money from this particular deal") don't rise to anything that is punishable by the OSC.

jerrym
04-23-2016, 11:00 PM
Rogers also originally stated that the Bill in Toronto Series was successful.

In business, that's called marketing.

AngeloV
04-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Also it's the regular season and playoff numbers that determine the return. Not just the playoffs.

All you need to do is look at the first round of the playoffs to know Rogers is losing a boat load of money on this deal. In the first round, despite showing all 8 series, they only used their own broadcast and production crews on 3 of the 8 series. They simulcasted local feeds on the other 5.

PullTogether73
04-24-2016, 09:23 AM
All you need to do is look at the first round of the playoffs to know Rogers is losing a boat load of money on this deal. In the first round, despite showing all 8 series, they only used their own broadcast and production crews on 3 of the 8 series. They simulcasted local feeds on the other 5.

All that proves is that they are trying to save money on production costs.

Edit: the news story above in post #121 says that Rogers has production crews for 4 of the round 1 series, not 3 (not that this changes the production savings point materially).

Will
04-24-2016, 09:35 AM
All that proves is that they are trying to save money on production costs.

I agree that it is only logical that Rogers would simulcast some of the series given that there are no Canadian teams involved, but you'd have to think that it was also motivated by the realization that no Canadian teams = trouble.

R.J
04-24-2016, 05:49 PM
TSN used to do that as well with the American teams. CBC is/was the only one to always use their own guys.

jerrym
05-01-2016, 09:37 PM
The Rogers executive who signed Rogers hockey deal is now engaging in gallows humour.

With NHL playoff viewership down nearly two-thirds across Canada, the television executive who committed Toronto-based Sportsnet to a 12-year, multibillion-dollar broadcasting rights agreement joked how glad he was to have a third-floor office.
If Scott Moore considered jumping, "I would just sprain my ankle," the Sportsnet President told The Associated Press with a laugh during a telephone interview Friday.
"We're disappointed but we're not panicked," is how Moore assessed his reaction to the ratings returns a little over a week into the league's first post-season in 46 years without a Canadian team.
The first-round playoff series being broadcast on Sportsnet's cable channels and CBC drew an average of about 500,000 viewers from April 13-17. That's down from about 1.3 million over the same period last year, when five of Canada's seven teams were competing.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/no-canada-nhl-playoff-ratings-plummet-north-border-222249597--nhl.html

jerrym
05-26-2016, 04:14 AM
NHL playoff TV ratings are still downward as the finals approach.

The ratings for the NHL playoffs are down from last year, and they might not get much better, considering who is still in contention.
When 1.1 million viewers watched the San Jose Sharks beat the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday in Game 2 of the Western Conference finals, it marked a 34 percent decrease (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nhl-playoff-ratings-conference-final-viewership-down-nbcsn-sharks-blues-penguins-lightning/) from last year, as well as a 23 percent decrease in viewership from 2014. It was the least watched game of the conference finals since 2014.
Tuesday’s game wasn’t competitive, a 4-0 rout that was over with more than half of the third period still remaining. But the rating might not have been much higher had the game been close. Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Tampa Bay Lightning was seen by 1.7 million viewers, down eight percent from the 1.9 million viewers that watched Game 2 between the New York Rangers and Tampa Bay last year.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nhl-playoffs-2016-how-are-tv-ratings-ahead-stanley-cup-finals-2371982

7dj83r8f78t4alf8