PDA

View Full Version : CIS Playoffs

Argocister
11-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Well, CIS football is down to the finals in the respective leagues. ...AUS was last week with MtAlison winning for a second year in a row.
Hopefully some of you can get the Mac vs Guelph game. It apparently will be on some Rogers cable stations this afternoon. You can always watch the Dunsmore .... On RDS .... In French of course but what better way to brush up on your french then watching Montreal and Laval football.
If you are out west Shaw will cover the game between Manitoba and Calgary.
All 3 games will be competitive and probably close.... Although Laval fans are calling for a big win for the rouge et Or .
I'm heading to the Mac game to get my football fix ..... Hope you get to watch some games!

argofandave
11-15-2014, 01:03 PM
The Yates Cup game is on Cogeco Cable 14 in Milton right now.

gilthethrill
11-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I was able to watch the 4th quarter of the Yates Cup on OUA TV....those volunteers do a decent job. I was hoping that Guelph would advance but it was not meant to be.

OV Argo
11-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Congrats to the final 4 = the 4 M club; it will be Manitoba vs. Montreal (match-up of 2 of the best CIS QBs in some time IMO - Yantz & Cousineau (this guy is maybe one of the most talented CIS QB in years IMO - poised, accurate, strong arm, smart, good reads' + some mobility - like to hear AV's take on him if he gets to see him play); then Mac vs Mt. A (some good vet players, and they have the experience of going to the final 4 last season there = they could surprise)

Huge upsets today with 2 powerhouse favorites being beat at home; the past 2 Laval / Montreal games have been 2 of the best Canadian football games i have viewed this season.

Also - some very good CFL draft prospects on display in these games - like Mt A DT Jacob Leblanc, Montreal (great D) defensive stars - DE JS Blanc, LB Byron Archambault & safety Anthony Coady, and Manitoba receiver Nic Demski, or Mac DB Steven Ventreska.

Some great Canadian football upcoming in the CIS final 4 i bet.

Argocister
11-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Next week will be interesting ......Montreal is very strong along the line of scrimmage .... And their secondary is good as well. It will be interesting to see if they can represent the Q well against Yantz and company. Personally I'm pulling for
Montreal ..... Always being the second in line to Laval .... Although the Bisons are one of those teams peaking at playoff time so anything could happen.

I am a Mac fan, but I think they should be able to conquer Mt Alison. mind you, Mac has a habit of playing just to the level to beat their opponents, which is nerve racking as a fan. Mt.Alison can be a strong team but Having seen both this year, I think
Mac can pull the win out. .... Just limit the turnovers though please!

ArgoRavi
11-15-2014, 10:32 PM
We shouldn't forget to congratulate Danny Maciocia on the fine job he has done with that Montreal program.

Deerkeeper
11-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I was at the game in Hamilton today. Friggin cold even for a sunny day. The wind was really wierd, coming - it seemed - from every direction. Good crowd to. Disappointing ending for Guelph, coming so close but congadulations to Mac for the hard fought win.

1argoholic
11-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Just a bloody joke that we don't get any CIS on our Bell dish out here in the sticks. Great that ESPN North (TSN) and it's multitude of stations is all NCAA. Found one game listed on a French station but we don't get it. At least the evil empire, Laval is out.

Argocister
11-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Just a bloody joke that we don't get any CIS on our Bell dish out here in the sticks. Great that ESPN North (TSN) and it's multitude of stations is all NCAA. Found one game listed on a French station but we don't get it. At least the evil empire, Laval is out.

This Saturday you will be able to get both 1argoholic, as Rogers said they will broadcast the Bowl games nationally.

Sat at 1 will be the
Carabin and Bisons in Montreal ..... That stadium is very loud as it sits in a bowl with the mountain and buildings providing surround sound. It only seats 5200 but can get very loud!

Mac and MtAlison follow at 4 ..... Chilly game with the sun going down.
Then the CFL East and West finals on Sunday .....
Sigh .....another weekend without getting the chores done.

OV Argo
11-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Yeah - it is a joke 'holic.

Next to zero respect for CIS football (and to me that extends to a general lack of respect for CANADIAN football) from the sports media up here while they fawn all over US college ball showing game & hilites galore - Sportsnet & TSN are both a f^*$in joke = wannabe arseholes.

CIS football needs somebody to take charge or give a rat's @$$ marketing a very good on field product - total lack of TV coverage for the OUA Yates Cup was pathetic; I was able to watch Q action all year on the French CBC, and i got to see some CanWest action with my new Shaw sat.; had to subscribe to Sportnet 360 today though to be able to get the 2 national semis.

Pulling for Mt. A as the underdog in the final 4. I would bet on Montreal though (beating a seeming unbeatable Laval juggernaut - twice !), but maybe any of the other 3 can give them a good game.

AngeloV
11-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Go Mac. I will always cheer the OUA teams.

OV Argo
11-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Watching the 1st semi - Manitoba at Montreal = tremendous football game so far - 27-21 at the half.

Battle of 2 very good CIS QBs - Yantz (Manitoba) and Cousineau (Montreal) - both have passed for 2 TDs and ran for one so far; Yantz is big, has a good arm and can run too; and Cousineau is maybe the best pure passing CIS QB i have seen in a long time- poised, with a very strong & accurate arm ' and Montreal MLB Archambault is a real force on D (O|Shea should be looking at this guy in the draft to help the Bombers weak middle of the |D)

Deerkeeper
11-22-2014, 03:07 PM
WatchHaven'tthe 1st semi - Manitoba at Montreal = tremendous football game so far - 27-21 at the half.

Battle of 2 very good CIS QBs - Yantz (Manitoba) and Cousineau (Montreal) - both have passed for 2 TDs and ran for one so far; Yantz is big, has a good arm and can run too; and Cousineau is maybe the best pure passing CIS QB i have seen in a long time- poised, with a very strong & accurate arm ' and Montreal MLB Archambault is a real force on D (O|Shea should be looking at this guy in the draft to help the Bombers weak middle of the |D)
It has been a great game. Haven't enjoyed a game this much all year.

gilthethrill
11-22-2014, 03:23 PM
It has been a great game. Haven't enjoyed a game this much all year.

Man I miss the days when TSN had the CIS football coverage....

ArgoRavi
11-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Man I miss the days when TSN had the CIS football coverage....

Madani is no Rod Smith to be sure. Anyway, congrats to Danny Maciocia on getting his team to the Vanier Cup. He has a chance to do something that has never been done before - win both a Grey Cup and Vanier Cup as head coach - and yet the guy still gets so little respect from many fans.

Hopefully the Als get to the Grey Cup as well next week and Canadian football will be the talk of Montreal next weekend.

OV Argo
11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Madani is no Rod Smith to be sure. Anyway, congrats to Danny Maciocia on getting his team to the Vanier Cup. He has a chance to do something that has never been done before - win both a Grey Cup and Vanier Cup as head coach - and yet the guy still gets so little respect from many fans.

Hopefully the Als get to the Grey Cup as well next week and Canadian football will be the talk of Montreal next weekend.

Watching Mac/Mt A - can\t see either being close to beating Montreal - both teams have solid Ds but are mediocre on offence = huge difference in the QBing in the 2 semis - the 1st game featured 2 outstanding QBs, the 2nd 2 weak to iffy QBs. Montreal have an even stronger D than those 2 and a wayyyyyyyyyyyy better offence.

SO - the Garden Gnome may be able to pull a Canadian football first - = HC of both a Vanier & GC winning team.

Not pulling for the Als though (but can\t stand either of the ultra mediocre East final 2 this year - what a brutal year in the East that either of those 2 are going to get to go to the GC) - the Pussycats win at home and then get to go to the GC to get slaughtered by either of Calgary or Edmonton (bet on the Stumps !)

Looking forward to very good GC & Vanier games, but i fear blow-outs in both - hope not though,

Argocister
11-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Well, I got to watch half of the Carabins/Bisons game .... and then went to the Marauders/Mounties game.

The Carbins/Bisons game was very good CIS football. That was a fun first half of offensive drive on both teams. As usual, the second half was a different game, with more defence. Both these teams are strong and talented in many aspects of the game. Coombs played on a good team.

The Mitchell bowl on the other hand, appeared to be a defensive battle.... but I think it was more that both offensive groups couldn't execute. But thats football too. (we definitely found that this year in the East CFL division) I was amazed that Mac had control of the ball for 41 minutes of the game. Their QB does not have a strong arm (requires surgery?) but uses the running game , short passes and the occasional long bomb (where everyone holds their breath) to get the job done. MAcs defence and special teams are both very good and play an important role in providing good field position if not points.

Next Sat, Mac will be in tough against the Carabin. Personally, I think the Montreal team will overpower Mac, as long as they stay focused ..... this is their first time to the big dance..... Mac, with their experience will hang in there though. I will be cheering for Mac .... my alma mater ..... but think Montreal will win. Which I don't mind either .... for their first Vanier ever .... and to represent the Q. Many feel the RESQ are a weak league because of Laval .... but in reality it is a strong league as everyone needs to step up to the challenge . The Rouge et Or have definitely raised the bar.... if only the English Canadian sports audience knew. (only 3800 of possible 5200 showed up for the Mac game ..... so much for any promo .... guess we just don't like our own) The Quebecois know their football, and their numbers show it at the stands and the TV count. ....maybe moreso for CIS than the CFL.

ArgoRavi
11-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Congrats to "good ole boy" Danny Maciocia on becoming the first head coach ever to win both a Grey Cup and Vanier Cup! He got the better of Stefan Ptaszek today as Montreal defeated McMaster in a nailbiter 20-19. Montreal blocked a last minute field goal and then converted a third and short in their own territory with only 23 seconds left to seal the win.

Argocister
11-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Excellent Vanier game! 22500 at the game ( or thereabouts) Lots of fun, and some good football to boot! I hope some of you got to watch the game. Good for CIS football.

One thought ..... If the CFL moves up the season 2 weeks, the CIS will be left on their own ..... Forever. I can't see the universities moving up their seasons by 2 weeks.

OV Argo
11-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Very good football game that Vanier = 2 solid well coached teams and I liked the diversity on offence. Congrats to Danny M becoming the 1st HC to win both the GC and the Vanier - that Carabins team has a lot of talent.

Stouffvillain
12-01-2014, 09:53 AM
It was a great game. Couldn't believe Montreal got there on the FG to end it, fantastic individual effort on that play. Tough weekend for Hamilton with Mac and the Ticats losing.

argofandave
10-22-2015, 08:14 PM
CHCH tv will be showing one of the Yates Cup semi-final games on November 7th and the Yates Cup game on November 14th.

Deerkeeper
10-22-2015, 09:25 PM
CHCH tv will be showing one of the Yates Cup semi-final games on November 7th and the Yates Cup game on November 14th.
http://www.oua.ca/general/2015-16/chch

AngeloV
10-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Awesome news. They always did a great job covering the league in the past. Wonder if Hogie will be calling a game for them.

1argoholic
10-23-2015, 01:21 PM
That's great news.

Scooter McCray
10-23-2015, 02:18 PM
That's good to hear. Is Rogers fabulous Sportsnet covering CIS playoffs again? They do such a bang up job covering Canadian football in general.

argofandave
10-31-2015, 01:15 PM
According to the OUA website, today's Carleton at Queen's game will be shown live at 1pm on Cogeco in the Kingston area and the Laurier at McMaster game will be shown on tape delay at 7pm tonight on Cogeco in the Hamilton area.

Gill The Thrill
11-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Awesome news. They always did a great job covering the league in the past. Wonder if Hogie will be calling a game for them.

Just found out about this CHCH deal...terrific. Read that the announcers will be Mark Lee and Justin Dunk. Lee has done the CFL on CBC in the past and NHL games when CBC last produced the games before the big Rogers deal.

I just hope they choose to go to Guelph to to do the Gryphons vs Carleton Ravens game as Western has blown teams out this year. The Mustangs play the 6th seed Laurier Golden Hawks who did upset Mac in their OUA QF but I think the 'stangs are too tough. The Carleton @ Guelph should be the more the competitive contest, and Guelph is a little closer to CHCH in Hamilton than London.

Deerkeeper
11-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I believe they are doing the Carlton-Guelph game. I was hoping to go, but I have to work Saturday:biteme:.
Looks like the Yates will be going through Western again so I'll make the drive down for the game in a couple of weeks.

argofandave
11-04-2015, 08:54 PM
I just noticed that Global is showing the Manitoba vs. UBC game this Saturday starting at 3pm. This gives me some Canadian football to watch since TSN4 is not showing the Hamilton at Ottawa CFL game.

AngeloV
11-04-2015, 11:27 PM
I just noticed that Global is showing the Manitoba vs. UBC game this Saturday starting at 3pm. This gives me some Canadian football to watch since TSN4 is not showing the Hamilton at Ottawa CFL game.

FWIW, you can probably stream any CFL game live on Firstrow sports. Just check on game day under the AM football section. I have done it in the past.

http://firstrowsportes.eu/

Argocister
11-07-2015, 12:48 AM

And I think CHCH is showing ...... The Guelph Carleton game or the Laurier Western game.
Of course the RESQ games will be on the French stations.
Too bad we have to wait for the playoffs or bowl games to get CIS football on TV.

Gill The Thrill
11-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Both OUA Semi-Final games are on television in Ontario. Carleton Raven @ Guelph Gryphons on CHCH Channel 11 and Rogers Cable subscribers can catch the Laurier Golden Hawks @ Western Mustangs game on Rogers Sports channel 369 on HD and Rogers cable 368 on SD.

1argoholic
11-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Right now Sat at about 4pm you can catch UBC and Manitoba on Global.

R.J
11-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Right now Sat at about 4pm you can catch UBC and Manitoba on Global.
I was shocked to see this yesterday, if it wasn't for the fact that I was watching the Redblacks vs Ticats, I would've tuned in.

AngeloV
11-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I was shocked to see this yesterday, if it wasn't for the fact that I was watching the Redblacks vs Ticats, I would've tuned in.

With a 29-0 2nd quarter lead for UBC, you then likely would have tuned out. Still, nice to see Global do this. I'd love to see this become a regular season game of the week thing if Rogers ever relinquishes the rights that they never use. Just another anti-Canadian sport move by those A**Holes.

paulwoods13
11-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Argo draft pick Dillon Campbell rolled his ankle Sat and left after rushing for 73 yards on six carries, including a 53-yarder. He had 295 yards rushing the previous week. Hope he is back in camp with us next year.

AngeloV
11-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Argo draft pick Dillon Campbell rolled his ankle Sat and left after rushing for 73 yards on six carries, including a 53-yarder. He had 295 yards rushing the previous week. Hope he is back in camp with us next year.

Paul, I hope he is too. I believe that Andre Durie still has a couple of injury free seasons left in him, and I would love to see the Argos look at a Canadian RB, with Coombs and Campbell perhaps getting a strong look.

1argoholic
11-11-2015, 01:58 PM
That was indeed fun watching some CIS ball. Very cool to watch the two Davis brothers play for UBC. Marcus is the smaller and younger of the two. Last time I saw him play live was against our friend Mitch's son in Duncan BC. At that time he did everything it seemed and never left the field. Looks like he's a solid returner. His older brother spent two years at Arizona St as a rb but never saw the field. He came back to play at UBC and I was floored to see that he was a LB. Both should be on Wally's radar I'm sure.
We used to get CIS West games on Shaw Cable in Duncan every week.

argolio
11-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Carleton's QB impressed me. His receivers not so much.

1argoholic
11-12-2015, 10:52 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/2202958/canadian-university-football-is-coming-to-global/

I just found this. So Global should be covering the west this Sat. I'm not sure if we would have gotten any of the regular season games as I just fluked upon the UBC and Manitoba game last Sat. I never watch Global.

argofandave
11-12-2015, 11:52 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/2202958/canadian-university-football-is-coming-to-global/

I just found this. So Global should be covering the west this Sat. I'm not sure if we would have gotten any of the regular season games as I just fluked upon the UBC and Manitoba game last Sat. I never watch Global.

Is this your way of telling me that you don't read my posts?

argofandave
11-13-2015, 12:11 PM
The Yates Cup game starts at 1pm on Saturday on CHCHtv and they reported during their sports report that there would be a half hour pre-game show although their schedule on their website doesn't show it unless the pre-game show starts at 1pm and the kickoff is at 1:30pm. The Hardy Cup game starts at 2pm on Global but the Cogeco TV listings shows this as an NCAA game.

Gill The Thrill
11-14-2015, 01:30 AM
The Yates Cup game starts at 1pm on Saturday on CHCHtv and they reported during their sports report that there would be a half hour pre-game show although their schedule on their website doesn't show it unless the pre-game show starts at 1pm and the kickoff is at 1:30pm. The Hardy Cup game starts at 2pm on Global but the Cogeco TV listings shows this as an NCAA game.

On short notice, those automated TV guides with the digital box do have errors. Global never shows NCAA football as TSN has all the rights for those games. I bet they just told someone at Cogeco that Global is showing college football, so they just updated it as NCAA football without checking for facts. Rogers had it as CIS football on their guide.

argofandave
11-14-2015, 12:40 PM
On short notice, those automated TV guides with the digital box do have errors. Global never shows NCAA football as TSN has all the rights for those games. I bet they just told someone at Cogeco that Global is showing college football, so they just updated it as NCAA football without checking for facts. Rogers had it as CIS football on their guide.
Cogeco has changed it to CIS football...Bubba O'Neil confirmed on Sportsline last night that he would host a Yates Cup pre-game show starting at 12:30pm but CHCH is showing an infomercial instead...

gilthethrill
11-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Sure is great to listen to Mark Lee again....he and Justin Dunk work well together. Great to see CIS Football again.

PullTogether73
11-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Sure is great to listen to Mark Lee again....he and Justin Dunk work well together. Great to see CIS Football again.

Agreed.
As suggested by someone earlier in this thread, Lee should be hired by TSN for their CFL broadcasts.

Quite the defensive battle in the Yates Cup game.
Western needs a field goal kicker badly!

gilthethrill
11-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Switched over to the Hardy Cup in Calgary...looks like a better game...will be watching how Sean McEwen plays.

AngeloV
11-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Switched over to the Hardy Cup in Calgary...looks like a better game...will be watching how Sean McEwen plays.

Both QB's look quite good in that game. I had no idea Blake Nill left Calgary and went to UBC. Either he is a great coach/recruiter, or something is fishy about his recruiting. I noticed a few Ontario boys playing quite well for that team. I find it hard to believe an Ontario boy dreams of playing post secondary ball at UBC. When he coached at St. Mary's, that team was loaded with GTA talent, and then QB EriK Glavic transfers from St.Mary's to Calgary when he was there.

gilthethrill
11-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Both QB's look quite good in that game. I had no idea Blake Nill left Calgary and went to UBC. Either he is a great coach/recruiter, or something is fishy about his recruiting. I noticed a few Ontario boys playing quite well for that team. I find it hard to believe an Ontario boy dreams of playing post secondary ball at UBC. When he coached at St. Mary's, that team was loaded with GTA talent, and then QB EriK Glavic transfers from St.Mary's to Calgary when he was there.

Yes, this is Nills first year out west.....went back to the Yates Cup, that Augustine kid for Guelph is having a great game on the ground against a highly rated Western team. Looks like some good talent available again in next year's draft.

Also noticed Neil Lumsden on Guelph coaching staff and Steve Buratto followed Nill to UBC as OC.

ArgoRavi
11-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Yes, this is Nills first year out west.....went back to the Yates Cup, that Augustine kid for Guelph is having a great game on the ground against a highly rated Western team. Looks like some good talent available again in next year's draft.

Also noticed Neil Lumsden on Guelph coaching staff and Steve Buratto followed Nill to UBC as OC.

Steve Burratto never ages. He looks the same today as he did 30+ years ago.

PullTogether73
11-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Sweet!
Guelph beat those smug bastards at Western!

Oops. Did I post that out loud?

Gill The Thrill
11-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Sweet!
Guelph beat those smug bastards at Western!

Oops. Did I post that out loud?Lol, ha, ha, gotta admit I felt the same way yesterday afternoon as well. Western has a good football program but I thought the dominance was too pronounced because of how bad the lower seeded teams were in the OUA. Both QB's were better in the Hardy Cup but once Guelph made it 14-10, I stuck with the Yates Cup from then on. Great finish, 2 tough defenses especially Guelph's. When I turned back to the Hardy Cup at the end of the Yates Cup broadcast, there were 3 minutes left, and hardly any scoring since I had left it in the 2nd quarter with UBC leading 25-18. Second half scoring was 9-8 for UBC, so it wasn't as action packed in terms of scoring as it was in the first half.

By the way, Andrew Buckley and Michael O'Connor are as good as several CFL QB's now. I know the defenses are quicker in pro football, but their arms are just as good as many guys on TV playing in the NCAA 1A. O'Connor has good speed and he is just 20 years old. Buckley has an arm himself. Both would get spots on CFL rosters for sure if the QB position was part of the ratio. It's ridiculous that it is not, even so they still should, that's how good they are and more importantly can be.

1argoholic
11-15-2015, 11:21 AM
I feel the same about that Guelph win. We used to always call Western the Rich Kids School. Sad to see Calgary crap away another big game.

Buckley looks so good. This kid should have a shot. He looked solid in preseason with the Stamps. Both Buckley and O'Connor can scamper when needed as well.

Calgary seems to turn the ball over left and right in big games. We cheer for them as my wife is from Calgary and she's had many family members attend U of C.

ArgofanIan
11-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Nice to see CIS football on Global and CHCH where it belongs.... Would be nice somehow if the Vanier cup could be back in Toronto next year with the Grey Cup...

Argocister
11-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Nice to see CIS football on Global and CHCH where it belongs.... Would be nice somehow if the Vanier cup could be back in Toronto next year with the Grey Cup...

I agree ...... Wonder if the new owners are on the ball enough to put together a proposal to the CIS ........ hint hint if you're reading new ownership

ArgoRavi
11-15-2015, 08:05 PM
I agree ...... Wonder if the new owners are on the ball enough to put together a proposal to the CIS ........ hint hint if you're reading new ownership

I think that it would be a natural thing to pair the two events - Vanier and Grey - next year but we shall see soon enough.

OV Argo
11-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Lol, ha, ha, gotta admit I felt the same way yesterday afternoon as well. Western has a good football program but I thought the dominance was too pronounced because of how bad the lower seeded teams were in the OUA. Both QB's were better in the Hardy Cup but once Guelph made it 14-10, I stuck with the Yates Cup from then on. Great finish, 2 tough defenses especially Guelph's. When I turned back to the Hardy Cup at the end of the Yates Cup broadcast, there were 3 minutes left, and hardly any scoring since I had left it in the 2nd quarter with UBC leading 25-18. Second half scoring was 9-8 for UBC, so it wasn't as action packed in terms of scoring as it was in the first half.

By the way, Andrew Buckley and Michael O'Connor are as good as several CFL QB's now. I know the defenses are quicker in pro football, but their arms are just as good as many guys on TV playing in the NCAA 1A. O'Connor has good speed and he is just 20 years old. Buckley has an arm himself. Both would get spots on CFL rosters for sure if the QB position was part of the ratio. It's ridiculous that it is not, even so they still should, that's how good they are and more importantly can be.

Yeah - agreed on Buckley & O'Connor - both could easily beat out some of the 3rd string American stiffs who get handed CFL roster spots. O'Connor is young and has several years of CIS ball left - we shall see, but he looks like pro material for sure; and we'll see if Calgary brings back Buckley for another CFL look/

HOWEVER - if you've been watching CIS ball last year and Guelph vs. Montreal today - you would be seeing an IMO even better CIS QB in Cousineau for the Carabins - a very accurate, poised QB who can throw a nice deep ball too. Montreal are killing a good Guelph team today with a balanced offence and a tough D. Sad or pathetic that Cousineau has not / will not get any gob CFL interest. Carabins are a very solid, all-around team with strong O & D - props to the Garden Gnome as HC

A Vanier match-up of UBC/Montreal would showcase those 2 outstanding QBs and be interesting to see who would come out on top - with a rookie phenom vs. a vet who has already won the big game. Carabins D could be the difference though.

AngeloV
11-21-2015, 03:58 PM
HOWEVER - if you've been watching CIS ball last year and Guelph vs. Montreal today - you would be seeing an IMO even better CIS QB in Cousineau for the Carabins - a very accurate, poised QB who can throw a nice deep ball too.

If Cousineau is so good, why did he throw more int's than TD's this year? OV, you really overrate the talent of some of these QB's strictly on your Canadian bias. His conterpart for Guelph really sucks, and I have no idea how a team with such a poor QB could have won the OUA.

OV Argo
11-21-2015, 04:09 PM
If Cousineau is so good, why did he throw more int's than TD's this year? OV, you really overrate the talent of some of these QB's strictly on your Canadian bias. His conterpart for Guelph really sucks, and I have no idea how a team with such a poor QB could have won the OUA.

Nice cherry picking of one stat on one season pal; obviously you don\t pay much attention too / have little respect for CIS ball and talent.

Just FYI though - Cousineau's last 2 years of CIS passing stats are off the charts outstanding in terms of QB completion % and he has had won a national title and taken his team to a 2nd chance there; plus he throws a beautiful deep ball mostly and has outstanding accuracy and poise + he can move in the pocket and run when he picks his spots smartly; but this would take some actual watching of football to notice, and not your typcial, predictable writing off of Canadian / CIS QBs like your gob heroes do. And sorry - your assessment of Roberts is way off; he was very good in beating Carleton and a tough Western D in the play-offs but he faced a very good D today; you are obviously pre-disposed to belive Canadian QBs "suck" for some (gob) reason.

AngeloV
11-21-2015, 04:59 PM
NAnd sorry - your assessment of Roberts is way off; he was very good in beating Carleton and a tough Western D in the play-offs but he faced a very good D today; you are obviously pre-disposed to belive Canadian QBs "suck" for some (gob) reason.

OK, so he plays like crap against 2 good defences, and my assessment is wrong? Shouldn't good players step up against good teams? There's an FYI for you...Pal.

Argocister
11-21-2015, 09:45 PM
OV no reason to jump on every one that says a QB sucked ..... Roberts didn't play well today,... And last week against western he managed the game, but also didn't play well... He is only in his second or third year.Cousineau is in his fifth year. There should be a difference.

Now O'connor on the other hand is in his first year.... 19 yrs old .... And has had extra training in the states.This training and his talent shows. He has 4 more years available to him in the CIS. Hope he stays.

I think for many of the CIS teams it's not only the QBs but more important the coaching, that helps the teams and their players look good. ..... And of course the money helps.

It will be interesting to watch the Vanier next week ..... Montreal and UBC. The 5 th year QB with a strong athletic team , been there done that team vs the rookie QB, with poise beyond his years, with a team that is speedy and has belief in the new system with Nill as their new coach.

argolio
11-22-2015, 01:27 AM
During the broadcast it was stated that O'Connor wants to win multiple Vaniers during his five years at UBC, so I guess he does want to stay.

Also, Arash Madani was his usual annoying self. And you'd figure someone who describes himself as a football junkie would know the simultaneous possession rule.

gilthethrill
11-22-2015, 08:32 AM
OK, so he plays like crap against 2 good defences, and my assessment is wrong? Shouldn't good players step up against good teams? There's an FYI for you...Pal.

Cousineau could help a CFL team as either a special teamer or a receiver.

Is the Vanier Cup only available on Rogers? If so I guess I will not be able to watch it. Go UBC!

Deerkeeper
11-22-2015, 09:45 AM
I haven't been able to watch a lot of CIS football this year, which I guess is a problem we all have considering the pitiful lack of coverage it gets, but I have been able to get to three live games this season. Made it to one regular season game and both the Yates and Mitchell Cups and one thing I noticed at all of them was the lack of penalties being called in comparison with the CFL. Has anyone else noticed this and are there any comparable stats to confirm this? I found it quite refreshing to watch games were flags aren't flying all the time.

Gill The Thrill
11-22-2015, 10:59 AM
During the broadcast it was stated that O'Connor wants to win multiple Vaniers during his five years at UBC, so I guess he does want to stay.

Also, Arash Madani was his usual annoying self. And you'd figure someone who describes himself as a football junkie would know the simultaneous possession rule.You'd think he'd also know that any ball spotted inside the one yard line immediately goes back to the one yd line in Canadian Football, so the defense can defend the goal line. In UBC's first TD drive, they had a first down without breaking the plane of the goal line inside the 1, and he says it's first and goal from the half yard line. Ok, maybe he forgot, but when St.FX took another penalty, he then stated that it was first and goal from the quarter yard, or inches. (huh). Really disappointed that Andy Bechler who played in the OUA for Laurier could not correct him on that. Didn't Arash also play CIS level football and he didn't know the rule inside the 1.

Cousineau could help a CFL team as either a special teamer or a receiver.

Is the Vanier Cup only available on Rogers? If so I guess I will not be able to watch it. Go UBC!
Cousineau is a decent QB, decent arm strength with some nice touches on those wide passes to the sideline to Paquet. Definitely better than Roberts, who at best may be invited to a camp merely for numbers as I don't think he has the arm and quick enough delivery for pro, but you never know. The Vanier Cup will be on the all Sportsnet channels along with SN360 if I saw that correctly yesterday.

I haven't been able to watch a lot of CIS football this year, which I guess is a problem we all have considering the pitiful lack of coverage it gets, but I have been able to get to three live games this season. Made it to one regular season game and both the Yates and Mitchell Cups and one thing I noticed at all of them was the lack of penalties being called in comparison with the CFL. Has anyone else noticed this and are there any comparable stats to confirm this? I found it quite refreshing to watch games were flags aren't flying all the time.
It was a really bad season for officiating in the CFL, the type that gives ticket office reps a tough time to sell the product in my opinion. It's one thing to protect the QB, but another to affect the credibility of the game like they've done by stupidly calling roughing the passer with a slight bump after the ball has been released...Also, I understand protecting them from concussions, but if you can't hit him high and can't him low, where can you hit a QB. Simoni Lawrence was exactly right about that hit he put on Burris in Week 19, it was a football play. There comes a time when a team has to also question how effective their O-line is avoiding those types of open tackles on their QB's. That's football.

Argocister
11-22-2015, 11:09 AM
It's too bad that Sportsnet has the Vanier ..... I know the bowl games weren't available to many viewers as it was only on their 360 channel. Hopefully it will be on the basic Sportsnet stations this weekend.
I hope Madani isn't calling the game. There are bette choices out there ..... That actually know the teams and the rules.

ArgoRavi
11-22-2015, 12:09 PM

There have been fewer flags in the CFL late in the season and we usually see fewer in the playoffs too. I am not sure how many flags were thrown in the CIS during the season but I would expect not that many flags to be thrown in the playoffs at that level also.

AngeloV
11-22-2015, 12:16 PM
There have been fewer flags in the CFL late in the season and we usually see fewer in the playoffs too. I am not sure how many flags were thrown in the CIS during the season but I would expect not that many flags to be thrown in the playoffs at that level also.

I went to week 1 game between Laurier and York, and admittedly I wasn't paying too much attention to the officiating, but there didn't seem to be that many flags in comparison to the CFL games early in the year. I think unless it is a serious major infraction, or one that directly impacts the play, the refs do the right thing and look the other way. That is the way it should be, but officials in the CFL just don't seem to have a feel for the game and it's flow.

argofandave
12-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Big layoffs at CHCH tv on Friday which probably means that they won't be showing any OUA football games next year.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8