PDA

View Full Version : Coach Bob O'Billovich named to CFL Hall of Fame

Will
11-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Congratulations to the coach who helped lead the Argonauts out of the dark ages in the early 1980's on his induction into the CFLHOF.

paulwoods13
11-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Yet again Hank Ilesic gets passed over. Disgraceful.

Eddie Davis -- seriously?

But congrats to Obie for a well-deserved accolade.

gilthethrill
11-29-2014, 11:09 AM

I believe Ray Guy is having similar issue as Ilesic is. Was Eddie Davis even that good?

paulwoods13
11-29-2014, 11:30 AM
I believe Ray Guy is having similar issue as Ilesic is. Was Eddie Davis even that good?

Ray Guy has been inducted to the Pro Football HoF. Bob Cameron is in the Cdn Ftbl HoF. So can someone please tell me why the greatest punter in modern history is not in the Hall?

ArgoGabe22
11-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Dick Thornton must be blacklisted or something.

Eddie Davis? I find it weird to see guys who have played not too long ago get into the HOF rather easily. Charles Roberts has good numbers but never struck me as a HOF RB for some reason. Perhaps it's because he played rather recently on a unsuccessful team.

AngeloV
11-29-2014, 12:41 PM

Agreed on Ilesic. IMO, it's a joke that Bob Cameron made it before he did. I asked Ilesic last year about the HOF snub, and he said he honestly didn't care.

ArgoRavi
11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Agreed on Ilesic. IMO, it's a joke that Bob Cameron made it before he did. I asked Ilesic last year about the HOF snub, and he said he honestly didn't care.

It is shameful IMO. There has never been a punter like Thunderfoot. It just baffles me how he gets passed over year after year.

Argo57
11-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Well deserved honour for OB, great Argonaut coach and a very nice guy as well.
With regards to Ilesic he is one of the greatest punters in CFL history, 7 Grey Cup Rings, omissions such as this tend to discredit the validity of the Hall of Fame.

doubleblue
11-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Hank should be there. One of the best Punters I have seen. I agree with others on here about some of the players they are putting in the HOF. They were all good players but, to go in a HOF you should be a cut above the rest IMO.

paulwoods13
11-29-2014, 06:07 PM
If Eddie Davis is in, there is no justification whatsoever for keeping Carl Brazley out.

Stevoman
11-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Saw O'Billovich this morning at the Grey Cup Breakfast. Lots of congratulations going his way and he is a worthy candidate. Pinball did a great job as MC and I got to say hello to Swayze Waters as well. Ricky Foley was in attendance as well as Jonathon Hood. The Grey Cup Breakfast put on by Athletes in Action is one of the hidden gems of Grey Cup Week. In addition to the food, you also get quite a bit of insight into the players lives beyond the game and also a chance to mingle and get photos and autographs.

AngeloV
11-30-2014, 12:26 AM
If Eddie Davis is in, there is no justification whatsoever for keeping Carl Brazley out.

Great point. I believe he is the most underrated DB I have ever seen. He was an all star at both corner and half.

ArgoRavi
11-30-2014, 01:10 AM
It seems like there is a window of time after a player retires when they are most likely to be inducted in the Hall of Fame. That window might be 5 years or 10 at the outside. After that, it seems to become increasingly difficult to get into the HOF regardless of how worthy the player is.

paulwoods13
11-30-2014, 08:50 AM
For anyone who hasn't gone to the blog for my book lately, I have put a bit of new content up, including a cool picture Jan Carinci sent me showing the on-field celebration.

http://bouncingbackbook.ca/

Antwon
11-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Congrats to Obie! Well-deserved.

Will
11-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Terry Greer spent 6 years in the league. Is there precedence of someone else having been inducted based on that length of service?

paulwoods13
11-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Terry Greer spent 6 years in the league. Is there precedence of someone else having been inducted based on that length of service?

Warren Moon and Earl Lunsford were in the league six years. Tom Brown and Rudy Phillips seven years. Doug Flutie, George Dixon, Willie Fleming, Joe Kapp, George McGowan, James Murphy, Red O'Quinn, Charles Roberts, Bill Symons eight years. There are probably a few others as well.

primetime1
12-01-2014, 09:38 AM
If Eddie Davis is in, there is no justification whatsoever for keeping Carl Brazley out. This is correct. While Eddie Davis was a solid contributor for both the Stamps and Riders, he was never the best at his position, IMO, during his time in the CFL, while it could be strongly argued that Brazley was certainly the best halfback in the CFL from 83-85. Furthermore, Brazley was a five-time all-star whereas Davis just got all-star honours four times.

Al&Kat
12-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Congratulations to the coach who helped lead the Argonauts out of the dark ages in the early 1980's on his induction into the CFLHOF.

congrats Obie, you did two great stretches with our Argos. Of course 1982 and 1983, just awesome. Great job in 1987 to take us right to the brink of the Grey Cup with Gilbert Renfroe (?!?) and Danny Barrett(?!?). Seems unlikely, but that Obie magic worked again. Then we go 12-and-4 in 1988, pre-SkyDome. Had some great times that year at the Ex. Aaahhh, the Carling-Okeefe years.
And finally, bringing us Pinball, the man and the nick-name. Obie, thanks for great memories, you're a worthy Hall of Famer.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8