View Full Version : 2014 season round-up

Will
12-01-2014, 11:28 AM
We are now officially into the off-season and with that I'd like to pose a few questions to the membership for which I will also give my opinion:

(1) What is the Argos biggest area of need?

Unfortunately, I believe the Argos have several areas that need looking at. Our best receivers (Durie & Owens) are not getting any younger and thus attention needs to be placed on replacing them. Part of this will be predicated on deciding whether Anthony Coombs will be a running back or a receiver and part of this will be recruitment from Barker. John Chiles had an inconsistent sophomore season where he dealt with injuries. This team missed Dontrelle Inman. The Argos need to look to upgrade along the defensive line to complement Tristan O. Although, again losing Laing here did not help given the ratio flexibility he provides. I don't know what to make of Whiteside yet. Of the secondary, I think I'm only comfortable with Gabriel and Smith right now so that's another area that needs to be addressed during the off-season. It seems like that's an area of the ball club that perennially needs to be rebuilt.

(2) Where did this season go wrong?

The Argos suffered from nearly as bad a start as the rest of their eastern counterparts. I thought the team was back on track after beating Montreal and Winnipeg in early August, but then the team went on a three-game losing streak that included the comeback by the Stampeders. The failure of the team to solve a tough Montreal defense in October and November also contributed to missing the playoffs. But, here's another question: do the Argos lose to Ottawa at TD Place if it wasn't the first Ottawa home game? It shouldn't be used as an excuse, but you gotta think the RedBlacks were fired up for that one.

The injuries were significant particularly at the receiver position, but do not underestimate the loss of Chad Kackert. Steve Slaton and Curtis Steele filled in admirably at times, but Kackert was at a whole different level and he would've been valuable especially during the summer when every receiver was down (assuming he didn't get injured himself), nonetheless all teams have to deal with injuries and the receiver depth we thought was there at the beginning of the season turned out to be all for naught.

The Argos defense did play well at times during the season, but the shuffling of bodies and growing pains meant little consistency. Hamilton and Montreal both had defenses that allowed them to win games while the Argos didn't.

(3) Does Barker need to change his philosophy?

I say don't be afraid to bring in the occasional free agent. Don't force your coaching staff to transition primarily rookies into the CFL game. Tristan O was a great find over the off-season as was the LB Jones, but I don't know how many other of his recruits panned out. Also, please stop releasing players early to give them an NFL shot! No wonder there's no continuity.

doubleblue
12-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah that's a pretty good overall wrap up. Now its time to start analyzing the 2015 draft crop. Suppose to be one of the deeper drafts in a few years. Especially on the OLine and Dline. A couple of good WR's and LB's and one outstanding RB to round out who's available in the first two rounds.

Who should Barker select with that 3rd overall pick? I really like the Manitoba WR Demski and Yale RB Varga, but, you can't go wrong taking a good Olineman. Lots of video will be studied with the CFL Combine in March results probably making their final decision on who they want.

On the free agent front JB doesn't like getting in too deep there as one always tend to over pay. He probably will, and should, focus on resigning Holmes and Laing and then go from there. Because to the SMS the dollar figures I think tend to be fairly close for these FA's, but some guys seem to move to back to their home towns when they have a choice.

Double Dare
12-01-2014, 03:46 PM
But, here's another question: do the Argos lose to Ottawa at TD Place if it wasn't the first Ottawa home game? It shouldn't be used as an excuse, but you gotta think the RedBlacks were fired up for that one.

Ottawa won ... it really isn't that relevant now ... history.

Stouffvillain
12-01-2014, 04:33 PM
- In my opinion the Argos need to improve both their lines. I'm of the philosophy that the game is won in the trenches, if you can protect your QB and get to the opponents QB you will win more than you lose. At times the Argo's O line was not up to the standard they needed to be, especially when pass catchers started missing time. The replacement receivers needed extra time to get open and they weren't getting it because the O line was getting beat.

On the defensive side of the ball only one player, Okpaluago, was able to get consistent pressure on the QB. Laing was good but when he got hurt the lack of depth was evident. Someone on the current roster needs to elevate their game next season (entirely possible considering the number of players new to the CFL) or help needs to be brought in. Our LB corps is strong and with more pressure on the QB the DB's won't have to cover opponents as long either.

I still think that it was the injuries to the pass catchers. When they finally got back healthy the Argos started turning things around. You make a good point that they still slipped up at times but I think by then the margin of error was so slim that those loses get magnified.

I don't think Barker is against bringing in players with CFL experience, see Emry, however I do think that they need to be the right player at the right position. I think being open to releasing players to try their luck in the NFL does make the Argos appeal to players.

For example, if you're a player who believes you could have a shot at the NFL if you can come to the CFL for a season or two and show you can play. There are 2 teams in the CFL that are after you both are offering you the same 4 year deal but one has a history of giving the player the opportunity to try the NFL if they perform well the other does not. Who would you sign for?

I get that as an Argo fan it isn't what you want but it is a selling feature to free agents who look at things like this. Especially when they see a lot of empty seats at the games or shared facilities or facilities that may not be on par with the latest and greatest around the league. Perhaps Barker feels as though he needs to play that chip in order to compete with some teams for free agents.

ArgoGabe22
12-02-2014, 05:27 PM

Agreed. Quality back up receiver is a realistic target, I doubt we'll go after someone like SJ Green or Ernest Jackson. Stamps might be nice fit with Ricky Ray but I still think we need a bigger target like Inman. I sure would like to see someone with CFL experience instead of a handful of rookies trying out. Will Nik Lewis be back with the Stamps?

Starting calibre DT, DE and multiple DBs. Is Khalif Mitchell welcomed back, does he want to be back, does he even want to play football anymore?

Injuries and attitude. Too many distractions and quitters like Shane Horton bothered me. Milanovich said most with bad attitude have been released and some more will be on their way out.

In a way, yes. I'm tired of a revolving door of rookies coming and going. Would like to see Argos pull the trigger and make 2 big signings in free-agency.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8