PDA

View Full Version : A classless tweet?

matthew
12-01-2014, 12:22 PM
As a Argo fan I am embarrassed by this tweet. I would have much rather we congratulated hamilton on representing our division well.

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/539252617663115264/photo/1

Will
12-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm a bit divided on this subject. I had to admit that I laughed at some of the tweets the Argos put out last night and the Ticats sort of started it with their tweet of 11/08, but at least the Ticats made it to where they did.

ArgoGabe22
12-01-2014, 12:47 PM
For those that don't know, the Argos are known to "have fun" on twitter often going back and forth with other team accounts. What most don't know is that both the Ticats and Argos PR staff are friends in real life, if you want to call it that. It's just a joke that got blown up by fans IMO. It's not surprising for the Argos account to do this, especially with the Ticats starting it.

Whatever happened to the rivalry? I don't want riots but we can't be too friendly all the time.

Antwon
12-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I have mixed feelings on this as well. I realize it's a good tool to engage younger fans.
I for one was pulling for the Cats. And since we didn't make the playoffs, or get to the Grey Cup....well keep you're mouth shut.

AngeloV
12-01-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't find it classless at all. Anyone with half a brain knows it was done in fun. Things like this keep rivalries going strong. Now, if they decided to change the last name of Taker to runner up, because apparently losing the big one runs in the family, that would have been even funnier. But that may have brought Rod Black to tears.

ArgoGabe22
12-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Now, if they decided to change the last name of Taker to runner up, because apparently losing the big one runs in the family, that would have been even funnier. But that may have brought Rod Black to tears.

When are you applying for the PR job? I found this to be hilarious.

LLB997
12-01-2014, 02:21 PM
classless??? wear double blue at the labour day classic next year and you will learn what classless is. Over 1000 retweets , coverage on multiple sports feeds. Smart of the Argos to work themselves into the GC storyline.
Nice to see the Argos showin a little Moxy

Bleeds Double Blue
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I loved it. It makes no difference at all whether the Argos failed to make the playoffs or not as evident by the lusty "We're number 7" chant at Mahony's, a chance to poke a Ti-Cat in the eye can't be passed up. Ever. Can't wait for 2015. It's ON!

Mightygoose
12-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I think the tweet is fine. If the Argos lost CGs 2 in a row, Ti-Cats fans can do the same to us and all will be OK. It is a rivalry after all.

The Bills would have received one of these x 4 back in the day.

Stouffvillain
12-01-2014, 02:49 PM
I laughed.

I really like what the Argos twitter account does. The fact that other teams fight back too most of the time makes things really entertaining. If the roles were reversed the Ticats account would probably do the same thing. It's part of their thing they have going on online. Don't mind it at all.

gilthethrill
12-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I can't post the tweet, but when Toronto was eliminated from post season play, Hamilton sent out a "Classless Tweet" as well...I don't take Twitter seriously, but I do believe that you reap what you sow. SportsNet reported the Argo tweet, but as usual, failed to mention the Hamilton Tweet.

matthew
12-01-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't find it classless at all. Anyone with half a brain knows it was done in fun. Things like this keep rivalries going strong. Now, if they decided to change the last name of Taker to runner up, because apparently losing the big one runs in the family, that would have been even funnier. But that may have brought Rod Black to tears.

I am known throughout the land as being a pretty bright guy so I guess the other half of my brain will await the full page ad from the Argos congratulating them on winning the division. Then things will balance out. At present with my 50% brain, I will say this was a HALF-assed attempt to be funny when some respect was more appropriate IMO. It would seem based on some of the replies to this tweet there are a lot of half-brained people out there. That may explain some of the driving in the city then!

I can't post the tweet, but when Toronto was eliminated from post season play, Hamilton sent out a "Classless Tweet" as well...I don't take Twitter seriously, but I do believe that you reap what you sow. SportsNet reported the Argo tweet, but as usual, failed to mention the Hamilton Tweet.

What did it say?

Double Dare
12-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Twitter is for twats.

gilthethrill
12-01-2014, 03:56 PM
What did it say?

I am not sure what is means, but it said "Hey Argos, Sup"....I have a feeling it was not very nice :)

Stouffvillain
12-01-2014, 04:06 PM
What did it say?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/Ticats">@Ticats</a> Sup? <a href="http://t.co/z3Y1TNpXLp">pic.twitter.com/z3Y1TNpXLp</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/539252617663115264">December 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ron
12-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I found it funny and timely. Does anyone else think if the roles were reversed that the cats wouldn't have done something? Plus if the roles were reversed we'd be seeing a ton more "ha ha's" from Cats fans all over the net. (Much like when the Argos were eliminated)

I would say though that making fun of back to back GC appearances only should come from a team that has a back to back championship win in the last 40 years.

And sure ... the Argos did not make the game this season. Big whoop. The Argos only go the game when they plan to win it. Been 28 years since they lost a GC game.

Bleeds Double Blue
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
It would seem based on some of the replies to this tweet there are a lot of half-brained people out there. Present and accounted for. Sorry matthew but the ribbon and all the other twitter posts yesterday were very funny. By the way, I can't imagine Braley springing for a full page ad on anything other than craigslist.

ArgoRavi
12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
I found it funny and timely. Does anyone else think if the roles were reversed that the cats wouldn't have done something? Plus if the roles were reversed we'd be seeing a ton more "ha ha's" from Cats fans all over the net. (Much like when the Argos were eliminated)

I would say though that making fun of back to back GC appearances only should come from a team that has a back to back championship win in the last 40 years.

And sure ... the Argos did not make the game this season. Big whoop. The Argos only go the game when they plan to win it. Been 28 years since they lost a GC game.

Furthermore, if the Argos had had three games with Ottawa as the Ticats did, including two in the final weeks of the season, it may very well have been Toronto in the big game yesterday.

AngeloV
12-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I am known throughout the land as being a pretty bright guy so I guess the other half of my brain will await the full page ad from the Argos congratulating them on winning the division. Then things will balance out. At present with my 50% brain, I will say this was a HALF-assed attempt to be funny when some respect was more appropriate IMO. It would seem based on some of the replies to this tweet there are a lot of half-brained people out there. That may explain some of the driving in the city then!

Take it easy, matthew. If you couldn't tell the tweet was sarcastic, that's your problem. Pretty much everyone else on here realized that. I just don't get why some are so sensitive about a tweet. It wasn't threatening in any way, and was OBVIOUSLY in jest.

Argo57
12-02-2014, 12:11 AM
I guess I'm old school, didn't care for some of the Argo posts on Instagram, came off kind of unprofessional IMO.

LLB997
12-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Argo57, I am as old school as anyone but "professional" by old school standards is antiquated and not how it's done anymore. Time to play or get left behind. Nice to see the organization and fans not be typical Canadian baxters for once even though its ingrained in our culture.

argomANIA
12-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I found it funny. Loved the one with Jason riding a horse too

QBall
12-02-2014, 03:45 PM
To be fair the T-Cats started it with a tweet on November 8 after the Argos were eliminated when Montreal suddenly came down with a severe case of suck-itis. Don't start what you can't finish I guess.

https://twitter.com/Ticats/status/531232528997556224

HereComeTheIrish
12-02-2014, 05:08 PM
People need to relax. Its just banter.

Argocister
12-02-2014, 06:34 PM
So the thread is .... Classless Tweet? ...... maybe in some situations..... but not when it involves the TiCats.

This just feeds into the crazy rivalry. I'm not sure if you have ever been to a Ticats game when the Argos aren't even playing.... but there are constant anti Argo comments .... in the stands... on the radio before and after the game. And we aren't even there!

I don't think the rivalry with the TiCats can ever be politically correct.... its just toooo hilarious and crazy a rivalry. Especially funny now that I know the tweeters Argos and Ticats know each other!

Argo57
12-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Argo57, I am as old school as anyone but "professional" by old school standards is antiquated and not how it's done anymore. Time to play or get left behind. Nice to see the organization and fans not be typical Canadian baxters for once even though its ingrained in our culture.

It's ok, you go ahead I'll sit this one out.

ArgoGabe22
12-02-2014, 07:20 PM
It's ok, you go ahead I'll sit this one out.

Look at it like this. The Argos did get coverage from all major news networks. It's better than the Grey Cup being pushed off to the side by NFL news. The Argos are still relevant! Take that Arash.

HereComeTheIrish
12-03-2014, 12:25 AM
I think its great that the teams are able to do this to each other over Twitter. It helps the 'personality' of the league big time. Would you ever see an NFL team do this to their biggest rival? Not likely.

Its one of the things that makes the CFL great, and its one of the things that makes this rivalry great. I didn't have a problem when the Ticats tweeted it to the Argos. Sure, I was pissed off that we lost, but I thought that it was a clever tweet. To see the Argos cheering so profusely for the Stamps was hilarious, and that tweeted capped it off.

T-Bone
12-05-2014, 01:42 PM
classless??? wear double blue at the labour day classic next year and you will learn what classless is.
I've never had an issue with Ti-Cat fans while wearing my double blue at a Ti-Cat game. I was wearing it at TigerTown in Vancouver and had a great time. Most fans get it and enjoy the rivalry in good fun. Every team has classless fans but luckily they seem to be the minority.

Twitter is for twats.

http://www.journalism.org/2013/11/04/twitter-news-consumers-young-mobile-and-educated/

I am not sure what is means, but it said "Hey Argos, Sup"....I have a feeling it was not very nice :)
I'm pretty sure that tweet by the Ti-Cats was in response to this one:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/MTLAlouettes">@mtlalouettes</a>, you know what to do today... Plus, nobody wants to see the <a href="https://twitter.com/Ticats">@Ticats</a> in the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GCPlayoffs?src=hash">#GCPlayoffs</a> anyways. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/531184692515856384">November 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

To be fair the T-Cats started it with a tweet on November 8 after the Argos were eliminated when Montreal suddenly came down with a severe case of suck-itis. Don't start what you can't finish I guess.

https://twitter.com/Ticats/status/531232528997556224
See above.

Over 1000 retweets , coverage on multiple sports feeds. Smart of the Argos to work themselves into the GC storyline.
Nice to see the Argos showin a little Moxy

Look at it like this. The Argos did get coverage from all major news networks. It's better than the Grey Cup being pushed off to the side by NFL news. The Argos are still relevant! Take that Arash.
The back and forth between the Argos and Ti-Cats on Twitter is defiantly being done in the spirit of the rivalry and I personally don't see a problem with it. As it has already been said above, it got the Argos attention which in this case I think it was positive even if it was considered "controversial."

On a side note, I'm pretty sure it was received the right way by Stamps fans but in another context our logo branding their horse could be seen as us beating them and stealing their mascot. I would have put the logo on Jason's cape. Maybe I just read into it to much.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3taq0XIMAAm9Zf.png

1argoholic
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I love to be an ass, laugh and have fun. I totally enjoy comedy but have zero use for social media. However when I was showed these tweets, I laughed like hell. The Argos need more of these types working for them. Great job!!!!! It's football not learning that two Vancouver Island friends are at deaths door in which we just found out. Life is tough so any chance to laugh is a good thing.

Argo57
12-08-2014, 07:17 PM
I love to be an ass, laugh and have fun. I totally enjoy comedy but have zero use for social media. However when I was showed these tweets, I laughed like hell. The Argos need more of these types working for them. Great job!!!!! It's football not learning that two Vancouver Island friends are at deaths door in which we just found out. Life is tough so any chance to laugh is a good thing.

True enough, sorry to hear about your friends, yes we are talking football not curing cancer.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8