PDA

View Full Version : Rumours Barker and Milanovich may be out in Toronto

doubleblue
12-05-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm starting to see rumours of Jim Barker and Scott Milanovich being let go. I think it was PW or Ravi posted something along those lines a while ago but I didn't take it serious. But I am starting to see this mentioned on other sites. Rather shocking to me if Braley is still owning the team going forward, or does this mean a sale of the team is close and the new people have let it be known they want to make a change. I think it would be a foolish thing to do for a new owner to break up the stability Barker and Milanovich brings at this time. A smart owner would have a succession plan similar to Calgary and not just blow everything up.
Mike Hogan had a year end wrap up with Barker and Rudge on TSN 1050 and the message was then that they all would be back in 2015.
Everything has be quiet though for the last couple of weeks and now Jason Maas is leaving. Maybe nothing more to than that,a promotion, but generally where there is smoke there's fire.

Neely2005
12-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Successful teams limit turnover.

ArgoGabe22
12-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Sources, sources, sources!

Fumblitis
12-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Oh good! We need a new offensive coordinator. You guys can replace Milo with Crusty Cortez.
:)

argotom
12-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I second that, as we definitely need a NEW OC.

ArgoRavi
12-05-2014, 06:36 PM
It was mentioned briefly during the Grey Cup pregame show that a review of the Argo operations had been completed by Rudge, I believe, and that it was possible that he could decide to let Barker go which would likely mean Milanovich would depart also. However, I can't see Rudge making any such moves as it would be difficult to attract a top notch GM or head coach to Toronto given the unstable ownership/stadium situation. Furthermore, the Argos already have two of the best in the business currently in Barker and Milanovich.

I second that, as we definitely need a NEW OC.

The Argos had one of the three most productive offences in the league this season so I would say that a new OC is unnecessary.

Fumblitis
12-05-2014, 07:01 PM
It was mentioned briefly during the Grey Cup pregame show that a review of the Argo operations had been completed by Rudge, I believe, and that it was possible that he could decide to let Barker go which would likely mean Milanovich would depart also. However, I can't see Rudge making any such moves as it would be difficult to attract a top notch GM or head coach to Toronto given the unstable ownership/stadium situation. Furthermore, the Argos already have two of the best in the business currently in Barker and Milanovich.Yes the Argos are in good hands with Barker and Milanovich. I think Milanovich ranks up there with Huff as a quality head coach.

Argocister
12-05-2014, 11:19 PM
NOOooooooooooo! Tell me its not true! I thought 2015 was going to be a year of stability! ..... somewhat...... not major upheaval! That doesn't work!

Stouffvillain
12-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Don't see them going anywhere unless the sale of the team goes through in the next few weeks. Once the new year and free agency come it'll be too late, look at Montreal this season as an example.

Barker and Milanovich are a good combo and seems to work well together. Coaching and finding capable talent has not been a short coming while these guys have been in charge. Even if a new owner wanted there own guys they would see the JB/SC track record and at least give them a shot for a year.

paulwoods13
12-06-2014, 09:44 AM
I am much more worried about Braley firing Barker than I am about a new owner bringing in new people.

doubleblue
12-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I am much more worried about Braley firing Barker than I am about a new owner bringing in new people.

You must be hearing things off the record if this might happen. I hope it wouldn't be just for Barker stopping behind linesman on that Hamilton offside play. Braley should look at the big picture and just give the Football Ops the money to scout and bring in talent. I have heard Jim say several times he is ok with however the Bosses want to go, as he doesn't need the job if they don't want him. But a new GM might mean new Coaches and a rebuild to "their guys". I saw enough of that this year on the defensive side of things. The only continuity would be next up in Ian Sanderson I guess, but he is unproven.

Rich
12-07-2014, 01:52 AM
I am much more worried about Braley firing Barker

Is there any evidence this is a possibility? What's the upside for Braley? Is there another CFL Old Pro Football Man willing and able to step into Barker's place?

Look at WallyWorld. Braley likes to put his CFL Old Pro Football Man in place, and leave him there pretty much as long as he wants. He knows the old pros will field, at the very least, a competitive team year in and year out, with the odd GC thrown in for good measure.

Braley makes some questionable decisions, but I don't think he's stupid enough to fire Jimmy B.

Argo57
12-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Is there any evidence this is a possibility? What's the upside for Braley? Is there another CFL Old Pro Football Man willing and able to step into Barker's place?

Look at WallyWorld. Braley likes to put his CFL Old Pro Football Man in place, and leave him there pretty much as long as he wants. He knows the old pros will field, at the very least, a competitive team year in and year out, with the odd GC thrown in for good measure.

Braley makes some questionable decisions, but I don't think he's stupid enough to fire Jimmy B.

Hope you are right Rich but you never know sometimes, hopefully Braley realizes he has some quality football guys here already, bigger question could be whether Barker and or Milanovich want to hang around under current circumstances.

paulwoods13
12-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I have no evidence. It is just intuition and innuendo, and I hope it does not happen.

Invader
12-07-2014, 04:36 PM
This would only make sense if the Argo sale was imminent and the new ownership wanted to install their own people? Perhaps they want a more flamboyant coach who can help sell the team (like the late Annis Stukus?) While Milanovich is a winning coach he is pretty reserved and guarded with the media. Barker's "NFL Underground" player management might be wearing a bit thin too. If Milanovich is cut loose, I know an owner in Vancouver who'd be glad to have him! ;)

Argo57
12-08-2014, 07:24 PM
This would only make sense if the Argo sale was imminent and the new ownership wanted to install their own people? Perhaps they want a more flamboyant coach who can help sell the team (like the late Annis Stukus?) While Milanovich is a winning coach he is pretty reserved and guarded with the media. Barker's "NFL Underground" player management might be wearing a bit thin too. If Milanovich is cut loose, I know an owner in Vancouver who'd be glad to have him! ;)

I like Milanovich's style, calm and businesslike, although Dan Hawkins is available:D

D-Gap-Willie
12-10-2014, 05:57 AM
I thought Hawkins was going to coach the U.S. team at the football "World Championships" in Sweden.
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/sports/2014/09/24/dan-hawkins-named-coach-usa-football/16164997/

doubleblue
12-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Steve Simmons mentioned again in the Sunday Sun that rumours persist of Milanovich looking South instead of returning and if Barker is let go he will definitely leave. Wish the club would clear this up one way or the other. Maybe Braley doesn't really care as long as he can sell the Club. No benefit is helping a rival I guess, which the Argos will be when he finally unloads them. Sounds like everything is in limbo. Someone is still signing players, but this could have been done weeks ago with the announcements just coming out now.

Argo57
12-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Steve Simmons mentioned again in the Sunday Sun that rumours persist of Milanovich looking South instead of returning and if Barker is let go he will definitely leave. Wish the club would clear this up one way or the other. Maybe Braley doesn't really care as long as he can sell the Club. No benefit is helping a rival I guess, which the Argos will be when he finally unloads them. Sounds like everything is in limbo. Someone is still signing players, but this could have been done weeks ago with the announcements just coming out now.

As time goes on my feeling is Milanovich won't be back, too many rumours circulating and the Argos don't seem in any hurry to clear things up, which in itself is bothersome.
Think about the last 2 seasons in regards to how this franchise is being handled by the owner, quite frankly would be shocked if either Barker or Milanovich would want to return.

Double Dare
12-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Where there is smoke, there is fire ...

ArgoGabe22
12-15-2014, 07:35 PM
http://tipofthetower.com/2014/12/15/toronto-argonauts-is-scott-milanovich-set-to-leave/

ArgoRavi
12-15-2014, 09:48 PM
At this point I am assuming that both will be back as my feeling is that Barker would have already been let go if they were going to make that move. Also, I believe what Milanovich said a day or two after the season about not looking to leave. The fact that signings and re-signings have continued would seem to point to Barker, at least, remaining in the fold.

It seems that it is getting late to make major moves like firing your GM and potentially losing your head coach as a result as teams generally like having these positions filled by the end of the calendar year at the latest (the Alouettes of the last two off-seasons notwithstanding). With Braley in charge still, I suppose that anything is possible but such moves would really look like Braley is actively trying to kill the franchise.

Stouffvillain
12-16-2014, 08:46 AM
I don't now that that link provides anything that we didn't already know about Milanovich and the situation surrounding the team.

I agree with you on the GM Ravi. I don't think either are going anywhere now. I feel like if they were it would've happened by now.

paulwoods13
12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
If Braley was firing them, it probably would have happened by now. If they get fed up and resign, it could happen any time. I won't believe there is no substance to these reports until all three of them issue definitive statements.

Argocister
12-16-2014, 06:28 PM
If Braley was firing them, it probably would have happened by now. If they get fed up and resign, it could happen any time. I won't believe there is no substance to these reports until all three of them issue definitive statements.

Is there enough of a reason for them to actually call a press conference to refute these reports? I don't think they will . Then every opinion or rumour would have to be refuted.... not going to happen.

Unless it is hampering season ticket sales.... or creating havoc with team players.... or some other strange happening that affects the business side of the Argos, there will not be a statement from any Braley, Milanovich or Barker. No reason.

Of course that's just my humble opinion.

doubleblue
12-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Maybe it is time Rudge comes out and tells the Football World his GM and Coach are coming back next year and lets move on with retooling the team. But then maybe Rudge doesn't know for sure where he stands. Maybe that is part of the problem. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes. I am sure the uncertain situation has the Season Tickets flying off the shelf.

Argo57
12-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Argonauts communication sadly lacks at the best of times.
How do you sell prospective college recruits and or free agents on playing in Toronto with uncertainty in ownership, stadium and now speculation regarding Milanovich and Barker staying or leaving, but this is how the Argos roll these days!
Where would you sign, Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary or say Toronto???????

Wobbler
12-16-2014, 08:19 PM
This isn't exactly a peak time for interest in the team:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//www.google.com/trends/embed.js?hl=en-US&tz&geo=CA-ON&q=toronto+argonauts&content=1&cid=TIMESERIES_GRAPH_0&export=5&w=500&h=330"></script>

I think the world is prepared to wait until the Spring to see what the Argos do with their staff.

paulwoods13
12-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Is there enough of a reason for them to actually call a press conference to refute these reports? I don't think they will . Then every opinion or rumour would have to be refuted.... not going to happen.

Unless it is hampering season ticket sales.... or creating havoc with team players.... or some other strange happening that affects the business side of the Argos, there will not be a statement from any Braley, Milanovich or Barker. No reason.

Of course that's just my humble opinion.

Everything you say is correct -- there will not be a news conference to announce no changes in the mgmt structure. So rather than wait for definitive statements that won't be coming, I will continue to believe it is possible until I see hard evidence to the contrary, such as both Barker and Milanovich appearing in some team-related public context. Unfortunately the earliest that is likely to happen is after free agency opens, and even then only if we sign a FA of enough consequence to warrant a news conference. As long as there is little or no news emanating from the team, I think anything is possible including either or both guys leaving. How can anyone have faith that the owner won't muck things up with football ops, given how badly things have been mucked up with biz ops over the past two years?

Double Dare
12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
They must know that this is being discussed in "Argoland" (or maybe they actually don't?). It wouldn't take much for "them" to quash a rumour!

gilthethrill
12-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Rumour has it Jeff Tedford is about to become the HC for Braleys team in Vancouver & that he will be the highest paid coach in the league. If so, that will really...well tick me off royally while I watch this once proud franchise..may favourite sports team, continue to be operated on a "Shoe string budget"....

ArgoRavi
12-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Rumour has it Jeff Tedford is about to become the HC for Braleys team in Vancouver & that he will be the highest paid coach in the league. If so, that will really...well tick me off royally while I watch this once proud franchise..may favourite sports team, continue to be operated on a "Shoe string budget"....

Lowell Ullrich wrote this in the Vancouver Province a couple of days ago about the pending Tedford hiring:

"But the erosion that has taken place within the fan base of the Lions is such that owner David Braley is aware his team needs to make a splash."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullrich+Buono+poised+hire+Jeff+Tedford+Lions+coach/10526234/story.html

Does Braley realize how much the Toronto fan base has eroded under his ownership and that he needs to work to prevent it from further eroding?

Antwon
12-17-2014, 12:57 PM

The truth is until we have new ownership the franchise is stuck in neutral for the foreseeable future.
It’s been clear that BC is favoured over Toronto. They’re going to pay their fired coach for two more years and pay the new one big bucks. Yet in Toronto, he cuts and chimps out. Rumors have it our assistants are the lowest paid in the league.

ArgoRavi
12-17-2014, 01:00 PM
The truth is until we have new ownership the franchise is stuck in neutral for the foreseeable future.
It’s been clear that BC is favoured over Toronto.They’re going to pay their fired coach for two more years and pay the new one big bucks.Yet in Toronto, he cuts and chimps out.Rumors have it our assistants are the lowest paid in the league.

Just one correction - Benevides was given some kind of buyout when he was fired as Wally had structured his contract extension in such a way that it wouldn't take effect if he was fired. There is no question though that Tedford will be getting some major coin.

Argo57
12-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Lowell Ullrich wrote this in the Vancouver Province a couple of days ago about the pending Tedford hiring:

"But the erosion that has taken place within the fan base of the Lions is such that owner David Braley is aware his team needs to make a splash."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullrich+Buono+poised+hire+Jeff+Tedford+Lions+coach/10526234/story.html

Does Braley realize how much the Toronto fan base has eroded under his ownership and that he needs to work to prevent it from further eroding?

It's clear Braleys time as an effective and responsible owner has come and gone, both of his franchises are in various states of disarray, I continue to believe (stronger each day) Milanovich and Barker won't return!

Ron
12-18-2014, 02:37 AM
Stuck in neutral is far far far far better than 6 feet under.

Fumblitis
12-18-2014, 07:01 AM
It's clear Braleys time as an effective and responsible owner has come and gone, both of his franchises are in various states of disarray, I continue to believe (stronger each day) Milanovich and Barker won't return!I still think Barker and Milo would have left already. My bet is that they are staying put.

Argo57
12-18-2014, 08:00 AM
I still think Barker and Milo would have left already. My bet is that they are staying put.

Barely 3 weeks into a 6 month off season, NFL approaching playoff time and NCAA Bowl Games coming as well, prime networking time for Barker and Milanovich, trust me I would love to see them both here but honestly can't see them wanting to face another season with this owner.

Fumblitis
12-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Barely 3 weeks into a 6 month off season, NFL approaching playoff time and NCAA Bowl Games coming as well, prime networking time for Barker and Milanovich, trust me I would love to see them both here but honestly can't see them wanting to face another season with this owner.If the Argos lose those two because of the off field issues, you guys might wanna brace yourselves for some lean years on the field because you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel for GM/coaching candidates. Those two truly "Anchor the boat", pardon the pun.

doubleblue
12-18-2014, 09:56 AM
If the Argos lose those two because of the off field issues, you guys might wanna brace yourselves for some lean years on the field because you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel for GM/coaching candidates. Those two truly "Anchor the boat", pardon the pun.

That would be all we need. Another Big Name" like Bart Andrus to Coach and a Joe Mack as GM.

But Heaven forbid, if Milanovich does leave I hope they bring Steinauer back from Hamilton purgatory to be the HC.

ArgoRavi
12-18-2014, 11:25 AM
That would be all we need. Another Big Name" like Bart Andrus to Coach and a Joe Mack as GM.

But Heaven forbid, if Milanovich does leave I hope they bring Steinauer back from Hamilton purgatory to be the HC.

Steinauer reportedly has a "no movement" clause in his contract which means that he will be staying in Hamilton for at least another year or two. B.C. was denied permission to talk to him about their head coaching position.

Argo57
12-18-2014, 08:32 PM
If the Argos lose those two because of the off field issues, you guys might wanna brace yourselves for some lean years on the field because you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel for GM/coaching candidates. Those two truly "Anchor the boat", pardon the pun.

If they left it would be disastrous on many levels, both are good (well connected) and respected football guys who bring stability and class to this franchise in my eyes.
Both were instrumental in the latest World Championship and have simply worked their asses off to keep this team competitive the last 2 seasons all the while trusted colleagues (Jones, McAdoo, O'Shea, Steinauer) and significant on field talent divested themselves from the Argonauts.
Another thing to consider, who would want to replace them???
Quite frankly Braley should be thankful that both haven't already told him to go f**k himself and left town.
If the asspick owner had any sense (which is debatable) at this point, he would sign Milanovich and Barker to extensions and give them the resources needed to succeed.
In past decades the Argos still had ample fan support and ticket sales to weather questionable ownership decisions and a less than stellar on field product but not anymore.

ArgoRavi
01-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Signings continue while a free agent camp is coming up this Saturday in Tampa. It is looking more and more as though both Barker and Milanovich will be leading the Good Ship Argonaut once again in 2015.

Argo57
01-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Signings continue while a free agent camp is coming up this Saturday in Tampa. It is looking more and more as though both Barker and Milanovich will be leading the Good Ship Argonaut once again in 2015.

That would be great news Ravi, hopefully they both get contract extensions.

Fumblitis
01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
If they left it would be disastrous on many levels, both are good (well connected) and respected football guys who bring stability and class to this franchise in my eyes.
Both were instrumental in the latest World Championship and have simply worked their asses off to keep this team competitive the last 2 seasons all the while trusted colleagues (Jones, McAdoo, O'Shea, Steinauer) and significant on field talent divested themselves from the Argonauts.
Another thing to consider, who would want to replace them???
Quite frankly Braley should be thankful that both haven't already told him to go f**k himself and left town.
If the asspick owner had any sense (which is debatable) at this point, he would sign Milanovich and Barker to extensions and give them the resources needed to succeed.
In past decades the Argos still had ample fan support and ticket sales to weather questionable ownership decisions and a less than stellar on field product but not anymore.Yeah and my hope is that stability in the football operations end of it will keep things afloat while they sort out their off field issues. Milo and Barker give instant credibility to that franchise that no football fan(CFL, NFL, or both)in the GTA can or should ignore.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8