PDA

View Full Version : Early draft thoughts

Wobbler
12-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Our consolation prize for having a terrible year - early draft pick(s) - will be unusually valuable in 2015. All of the red shirt freshman who would ordinarily have been available in 2014 had to wait until this year, so this will be the deepest (and among the best) list of draft-eligible players in recent memory.

The December rankings (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-scouting-bureau-winter-rankings-1.157499) reveal the usual lineman-heavy list with some skill-position players mixed in. It's about as by-the-book as it gets: top-heavy with OL, no kickers at all, and no highly ranked LBs or DBs. I think that works just fine for us; IMHO, we need linemen and receivers more than anything else.

DT Daryl Waud, who is heading to the Shrine game next month, would look good as an Argo. I know practically nothing about any of the guys on the current list, but interior D-line is one of our positions of need and he might also be the BPA at #3.

Argocister
12-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I too think an OL will be in the first few rounds for the Argos. Possibly a receiver.
Ward on the Defense would be good too but his invite to the Shrine Game , he may garner some NFL interest.

Here is the earliest mock draft ..... May not even have the order straight though .....
http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?127839-Mock-2015-CFL-Draft

Rids always has some good info ..... http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/12/12_Scouting_Bureau_December.html

How many rounds are they doing this year?

Wobbler
12-13-2014, 09:33 PM
The 2015 draft will have seven rounds. I don't think that Waud has been dominant enough in the CIS to attract much NFL interest, but who knows at this point? We could find a spot for a good player at any position except perhaps LB at this point.

Speaking of which, does anyone/everyone think we'll keep both Greenwood and Emry? The former is unproven, the latter has been moderately disappointing as an Argo, and they both play the same position. It would be a waste of salary to have one backing up the other, so we should move one of them to another position or another team. If Greenwood can play Will, that might be a good option. Trading one of them for picks/players might be even better.

ArgoRavi
12-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't think that Waud has been dominant enough in the CIS to attract much NFL interest, but who knows at this point?

It will come down to how he fares during the week of practice leading up to the Shrine game. If he has a good week of practice, regardless of how he does in the game, that might be enough to earn a free agent contract in the NFL.

doubleblue
12-14-2014, 03:55 PM
I too think an OL will be in the first few rounds for the Argos. Possibly a receiver.
Ward on the Defense would be good too but his invite to the Shrine Game , he may garner some NFL interest.

Here is the earliest mock draft ..... May not even have the order straight though .....
http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?127839-Mock-2015-CFL-Draft

Rids always has some good info ..... http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/12/12_Scouting_Bureau_December.html

How many rounds are they doing this year?

I think the Argos will try for a O Lineman in one of their first 2 rounds pick. They would be happy to take Dempsey if Winnipeg doesn't IMO, and if they are able to do that, then an offensive lineman like Chung could well be their 2nd round pick. The fact that Boyko and Varga are going to the Senior Bowl means they will almost certainly be drafted and will drop in the CFL draft. East/West Shrine game players are generally late round picks or free agent signing in the NFL. So at least five players rated in the first round of the CFL draft could be going to the NFL. Good for the players to possibly get a big pay day but bad for the CFL with its ratio rules. That is why I have always been an advocate of some rule change to allow a couple per team of their most Senior imports to not count as an Import. With Argos in 2015 that would be Chad Owens and Jason Barnes, seeing QB's don't count toward the ratio. They would remain as non-imports until they were released or retired then the next senior import would be next up. Maybe they should have at least 5 years in the League to be eligible, which would help with some continuity.
It would cushion the blow somewhat of teams losing the top rated Canadians going to the NFL.

OV Argo
12-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Hope the Argos can draft smart and come up with a couple of impact players - and for areas of need.

Seems like a real deep/quality crop at DT this draft - and maybe they could get a guy to back-up or platoon with Laing there - not sure Waud is the best prospect but up there with the likes of LeBlanc (Mt. A), Tennant (Laval), Abdesmad (Boston College) plus maybe CIS all-stars Dale (UBC) and Lattanzio (GGs) . Argos have to be able to get one of these guys if they were to target the position with an early draft pick.

Don't see much need to go after O-line with the likes of Sewell, Scott Mitchell (could he yet live up to his former CFL
top pick status?) or last year's pick (guy out of UBC - cant recall his name) in the wings. McEwen and Mateas are accomplished college ball Centres though - maybe ready to take over from vet Keeping - down the road or sooner ?

Similarly - any need at all at NI LB with Emry, Greenwood, Yurichuck, Tonye-Tonye and Miles around ?

Receiver - maybe need for upgrade there - but they may be happy with guys like Bradwell, Watt, Adjei (plus maybe last year's pick Pszonczak - though little evidence of smaller, athletic type Canadian receivers on CFL rosters now); like to see them get a big target like 6-5 Addison Richards but he may be gone early. Durie with Coombs in the wings as givens at that slot /YAC position ?

Some good RBs up this draft - mainly Varga who may be the best pure Canadian tailback out of college ball in some time (since Lumsden or Cornish say?); there is also Murray-Lawrence (starter in Div I at UNLV) and Dillon Campbell who just had a fantastic season at Laurier; Argos might feel they are set with NI RBs in Coombs & Woodson though.

Also a very good safety in Coady (Montreal) - could go nice with Gabriel, but maybe they are happy with him and Matt Black.

Nothing would surprise me with CFL draft "thunkin" though - wouldn't be surprised to see them draft some more linebackers and O-Linemen.

Best sceanrio i\d like to see with early picks - big receiver Richards is still available with the Argos 1st pick; then get the best DT they like with the 2nd pick.

Argo57
12-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Hope the Argos can draft smart and come up with a couple of impact players - and for areas of need.

Seems like a real deep/quality crop at DT this draft - and maybe they could get a guy to back-up or platoon with Laing there - not sure Waud is the best prospect but up there with the likes of LeBlanc (Mt. A), Tennant (Laval), Abdesmad (Boston College) plus maybe CIS all-stars Dale (UBC) and Lattanzio (GGs) . Argos have to be able to get one of these guys if they were to target the position with an early draft pick.

Don't see much need to go after O-line with the likes of Sewell, Scott Mitchell (could he yet live up to his former CFL
top pick status?) or last year's pick (guy out of UBC - cant recall his name) in the wings. McEwen and Mateas are accomplished college ball Centres though - maybe ready to take over from vet Keeping - down the road or sooner ?

Similarly - any need at all at NI LB with Emry, Greenwood, Yurichuck, Tonye-Tonye and Miles around ?

Receiver - maybe need for upgrade there - but they may be happy with guys like Bradwell, Watt, Adjei (plus maybe last year's pick Pszonczak - though little evidence of smaller, athletic type Canadian receivers on CFL rosters now); like to see them get a big target like 6-5 Addison Richards but he may be gone early. Durie with Coombs in the wings as givens at that slot /YAC position ?

Some good RBs up this draft - mainly Varga who may be the best pure Canadian tailback out of college ball in some time (since Lumsden or Cornish say?); there is also Murray-Lawrence (starter in Div I at UNLV) and Dillon Campbell who just had a fantastic season at Laurier; Argos might feel they are set with NI RBs in Coombs & Woodson though.

Also a very good safety in Coady (Montreal) - could go nice with Gabriel, but maybe they are happy with him and Matt Black.

Nothing would surprise me with CFL draft "thunkin" though - wouldn't be surprised to see them draft some more linebackers and O-Linemen.

Best sceanrio i\d like to see with early picks - big receiver Richards is still available with the Argos 1st pick; then get the best DT they like with the 2nd pick.

Argos should be looking at D-Linemen and receivers in this draft, already saturated with Linebacking talent.
The likes of Bradwell and Watt have been useful dedicated players but don't scare any defence in the league, Bradwell falls to the ground when a defender sneezes around him. The D-Line although improved from 2013 (which isn't saying much) needs help and should be an area Barker is concentrating on.

Wobbler
12-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Richards did put up some impressive stats this year. His 2014 was a lot more productive than Devon Bailey's 2013 (on paper, at least).

I don't think it's impossible that we'll go OL with one of our early picks. It's tough to judge how good Sewell, Mitchell, and Dhillon are going to be, and they may not be developing the way we'd like. It would be reassuring to see us draft "skill" guys in the first couple of rounds.

Stouffvillain
12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm going to echo most of the other thoughts here and say that the D-line is an area to target within the first few picks of the draft. There is always a demand for good national OL's as well so you could see them go there as well.

1argoholic
12-15-2014, 09:31 AM
For me we just have to be smart and pick guys who can help as much as they can right now and not guys who have a real shot down south. I'm about picking the best available guy when your time comes to draft. Personally I'd like to see a receiver who has a strong upside. Have to put our faith in Barker.

doubleblue
12-15-2014, 03:43 PM
For me we just have to be smart and pick guys who can help as much as they can right now and not guys who have a real shot down south. I'm about picking the best available guy when your time comes to draft. Personally I'd like to see a receiver who has a strong upside. Have to put our faith in Barker.

I would love to see the Argos get either Demski or Richards. Richards may be going to the Shrine game but IMO Demski will be the better Pro. But IMO again I think they will go for the best offensive lineman available with the overall third pick (not counting Boyko if he is drafted) because they are just too hard to find. If Holmes leaves things start to look a little thin up front for Canadians. Keeping and Van Zeyl are about it for proven guys. Smith is 35 and I was surprised how he held up this year, good guy to have on the bench but....... Mitchell looks like he could be another bust because if they thought he was going to be any good they would have given him some playing time. Edmonton give up on him after 2 years. Sewell may eventually make it at RT, but hasn't really set things on fire apparently. Dhillon is unknown as a back up Center. Now if they can bring back Holmes and maybe resign Eppele if he has recovered from should surgery, then maybe go for a WR or a DL like Waud. A few if's in there though. Otherwise I like that offensive guard at Calgary Suuk Chung 6'4 300 and tough as nails.

ArgoRavi
12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
maybe resign Eppele if he has recovered from should surgery

Regarding Joe Eppele, all signs point to him retiring. The RedBlacks have no interest in re-signing him and there was a report in the Sun, I believe, late in the season that Eppele had lost significant weight when Marcel Desjardins last saw him which indicates that he has no interest in continuing his playing career so I don't see Eppele as being part of any equation moving forward.

OV Argo
12-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Just read that SFU receiver Lamar Durant has declared early for both the NFL & CFL draft (didn't know you could do that for the CFL draft?) - this guy is maybe the best CFL draft receiver prospect in years & years - big (6-3, 220 plus range) and supposedly very fast - had a huge season in US college ball for SFU in 2013 but injuries limited him last season. Could maybe be the #1 CFL draft prospect now, IMO. I\ll bet he draws signifigant NFL interest though = which should scare most CFL teams from drafting him early - as with Boyko & Varga probably too.

doubleblue
12-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Regarding Joe Eppele, all signs point to him retiring. The RedBlacks have no interest in re-signing him and there was a report in the Sun, I believe, late in the season that Eppele had lost significant weight when Marcel Desjardins last saw him which indicates that he has no interest in continuing his playing career so I don't see Eppele as being part of any equation moving forward.

Joe started as a DE I believe before they changed him to the O Line in College. You can play DE in the CFL much lighter at 240-250. But I hadn't heard anything out of Ottawa about that. Too bad if he is done, it is difficult to find talented Canadian linemen.

OV Argo
12-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Joe started as a DE I believe before they changed him to the O Line in College. You can play DE in the CFL much lighter at 240-250. But I hadn't heard anything out of Ottawa about that. Too bad if he is done, it is difficult to find talented Canadian linemen.

Eppele is maybe, IMO, an example of some CFL thinkers being over enamored with NI players with any kind of US college ball resume; Eppele was never a proven starter in college ball, but maybe they thought Div I + size meant a great football prospect? Meanwhile - current CFL free agent O-Linemen Ben Heenan & Brent Jones were proven, all-star calibre football players (in that lowly CIS ball) and have panned out as CFL best type O-linemen who will now either command top CFL bucks or else get an NFL shot. Lesson here maybe - only use top draft picks (first 2 or 3 rounds say) on proven, top stats or all-star type college ball players and save the prospect / great size type picks till later rounds or not at all. And there are plenty of CIS all-star calibre players up every CFL draft, to go along with some proven US college ball Canadians too. There is IMO - LOTS of Canadian talent available to CFL teams every year - thru the draft and as FAs (you could build a very good core of CFL talent just by signing the top Canadians on this year's FA list.

doubleblue
12-18-2014, 09:39 AM
The Canadian Linemen kids that go to NCAA schools do seem to get burned out down there or maybe the Argos have just had bad luck with their picks and pickups. Except for Holmes they haven't been able to come up with a good Canadian who could be on their Line for ten years or more like Montreal's Perrett and Bourke. The biggest problem IMO is there just isn't enough TALENTED guys to go around and that also have the will and desire to play Football. There's always going to be a few Ben Heenan's and Brent Jones but not enough to stock nine or ten CFL teams. Maybe the CFL should start a baby bonus program for Canadian CFL Offensive Linemen to have large families. lol

OV Argo
12-18-2014, 10:13 AM
The Canadian Linemen kids that go to NCAA schools do seem to get burned out down there or maybe the Argos have just had bad luck with their picks and pickups. Except for Holmes they haven't been able to come up with a good Canadian who could be on their Line for ten years or more like Montreal's Perrett and Bourke. The biggest problem IMO is there just isn't enough TALENTED guys to go around and that also have the will and desire to play Football. There's always going to be a few Ben Heenan's and Brent Jones but not enough to stock nine or ten CFL teams. Maybe the CFL should start a baby bonus program for Canadian CFL Offensive Linemen to have large families. lol

Fraid I\ll have to disagree there; there is plenty of Canadian football talent for CFL teams that have sharp scouts, good coaching staffs and who hold on to lots of draft picks or make smart FA signs. Example - the GC Champ Stamps started or played at least 6 Canadian O-Linemen this past season - most of whom they got thru the draft (Jones & Lavertu were CIS stars, Craighead out of US college ball, Junior gem find Spencer Wilson, and 6th round draft pick Bergman out of CIS ball (started in the GC), and they went out and obtained NFL experienced Dan Federkeil; plus they have in the wings on their roster, former draft picks Billy Peach (US college ball NI product) and Brad Erdos (Simon Fraser). SO - they drafted smart, found Canadian talent from various sources (CIS ball, US college ball, Junior ball), developed and coached them well - and they are part of a very good championship offence that can or has both passed and ran the ball well.

ALL CFL teams COULD do this - hold on to draft picks, sign quality FAs, and have faith in Canadian talent; the SMART teams do.

doubleblue
12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm all for the CIS and Canadian Talent on CFL teams but the reality IMO is the bottom line is there is NOT ENOUGH Canadian OL players really athletic and good enough to play at the high level in the CFL. Edmonton made due this year with three castoffs in Ramsey, Sorenson and Jones who made the team because they are big Canadians and they couldn't find anybody else. Believe me if there were more Brent Jones and Dan Federkeils out there other teams would find them.

OV Argo
12-18-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm all for the CIS and Canadian Talent on CFL teams but the reality IMO is the bottom line is there is NOT ENOUGH Canadian OL players really athletic and good enough to play at the high level in the CFL. Edmonton made due this year with three castoffs in Ramsey, Sorenson and Jones who made the team because they are big Canadians and they couldn't find anybody else. Believe me if there were more Brent Jones and Dan Federkeils out there other teams would find them.

Again - you're entitled to your opinions, but spare me the "reality" bull$hite CFL cliche NOT ENOUGH Canadians stuff or else present it as just an opinion rather than like you are stating facts.

IMO - again - there is PLENTY of Canadian talent to stock a 9 team CFL league - the Canadian NI talent pool has grown in both quantity and quality = more CIS teams than ever, lots of Canadians getting US college ball training, Junior ball still strong and produces a few pro gems (see Andrew Harris, Rob Cote, Jermaine Gabriel). What is however lacking - IMO - is enough good scouts and coaches in the good ole CFL to pay attention to and have respect for the total Canadian talent pool - top players at ALL positions; and even though the O-line position group may be favored and mined strongly by CFL thinkers, I just finished citing you how the GC Champ Stamps are deep in Canadian O-Line talent - started 4 and played 6 and have plenty of depth/ young prospects on their roster but you want to make up stories how this just couldn\t be so? SO - Believe me - if they were more smart CFL personnel guys out there you would see more CFL teams with similar roster capability and maybe winning more games - IMO. And BTW - this coming CFL draft features a number of very good O-Line prospects - several from US college ball and some CIS all stars; along with talent at all other position groups as well.

Argocister
12-18-2014, 03:45 PM
I tend to agree with OV here .... there are plenty of Canadian players. Many are not provided the opportunity to try out for the team let alone play. Just in the CIS you have 27 teams.

doubleblue
12-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Again - you're entitled to your opinions, but spare me the "reality" bull$hite CFL cliche NOT ENOUGH Canadians stuff or else present it as just an opinion rather than like you are stating facts.

IMO - again - there is PLENTY of Canadian talent to stock a 9 team CFL league - the Canadian NI talent pool has grown in both quantity and quality = more CIS teams than ever, lots of Canadians getting US college ball training, Junior ball still strong and produces a few pro gems (see Andrew Harris, Rob Cote, Jermaine Gabriel). What is however lacking - IMO - is enough good scouts and coaches in the good ole CFL to pay attention to and have respect for the total Canadian talent pool - top players at ALL positions; and even though the O-line position group may be favored and mined strongly by CFL thinkers, I just finished citing you how the GC Champ Stamps are deep in Canadian O-Line talent - started 4 and played 6 and have plenty of depth/ young prospects on their roster but you want to make up stories how this just couldn\t be so? SO - Believe me - if they were more smart CFL personnel guys out there you would see more CFL teams with similar roster capability and maybe winning more games - IMO. And BTW - this coming CFL draft features a number of very good O-Line prospects - several from US college ball and some CIS all stars; along with talent at all other position groups as well.

Well OV we will have to agree to disagree. The teams are scouting more now than ever besides holding two extra combines in Edmonton and Montreal to make sure they don't miss a few that fall through the cracks. I think Spencer Watt was found that way. So if a Pro calibre player is out there someone will find him. But there still isn't enough players of CFL calibre for all the teams to find offensive linemen like Calgary has. I count six Canadians in the NFL who are O Linemen and 7 D Linemen down there. Also a couple of kickers, and long snapper, a TE a MLB and a WR. That's is an average of 2 Nationals per team that teams can't replace talent wise. The League has quietly relaxed the rules in the new contract to allow any player that has Canadian citizenship to be classed a "National". That should deepen the pool somewhat as there always seems to be a few NCAA players every year who were born in Canada but haven't lived that 5 or 7 years here that was required under the old rule. So the League knows the talent pool is shallow especially with more Canadian players going to the NFL. We're talking Quality here not Quantity. Any GM and Coach in the League would say the same thing. (Off the record of course).

OV Argo
12-20-2014, 01:04 PM
I tend to agree with OV here .... there are plenty of Canadian players. Many are not provided the opportunity to try out for the team let alone play. Just in the CIS you have 27 teams.

Yep; and if CFL deep thinkers didn\t often have such a limited or dim view of the overall Canadian talent pool, we could see way more, IMO, very good Canadian football players in the CFL: if the all best NI tailbacks, DEs, OLBs, DBs, smaller quick receivers, kick returners and, gasp, QBs, got CFL consideration and try-outs, some of them would be playing and i'll bet doing quite well; so instead of the 40something best Canadian O-lineman making the CFL, instead we could see more of the top 5 to 10 or so NI DEs or tailbacks or cornerbacks or quarterbacks on CFL rosters AND getting some playing time ... instead of the situation we have now where a number of these players are just viewed as back-ups or else never even get a real CFL look / try-out ... so that the mostly American personnel decision makers can hand roster spots and playing time to their guys (fellow Americans), especially at certain positions.

ArgoRavi
12-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Yep; and if CFL deep thinkers didn\t often have such a limited or dim view of the overall Canadian talent pool, we could see way more, IMO, very good Canadian football players in the CFL: if the all best NI tailbacks, DEs, OLBs, DBs, smaller quick receivers, kick returners and, gasp, QBs, got CFL consideration and try-outs, some of them would be playing and i'll bet doing quite well; so instead of the 40something best Canadian O-lineman making the CFL, instead we could see more of the top 5 to 10 or so NI DEs or tailbacks or cornerbacks or quarterbacks on CFL rosters AND getting some playing time ... instead of the situation we have now where a number of these players are just viewed as back-ups or else never even get a real CFL look / try-out ... so that the mostly American personnel decision makers can hand roster spots and playing time to their guys (fellow Americans), especially at certain positions.

So we can expect to see a Canadian QB or tailback in Winnipeg soon then?

OV Argo
12-20-2014, 05:17 PM
So we can expect to see a Canadian QB or tailback in Winnipeg soon then?

Don't know if O'Shea, Miller and Walters are brave enough to break from CFL old boy tradition and maybe try-out a Canadian QB; they do have a need for some depth or a guy to take charge at the position (Willy was just OK to weak at times IMO, but still better than what they've had lately), AND there is a very good NI QB that was playing right under their noses (Yantz for the Bisons - good arm, very good passing stats, big and can run); and even if they had the guts/courage there, they might not think he was worth a TC shot if they like what they already have at QB - that's IF they were to do real scouting and consider Yantz (or Brandon Bridge - 6-5, good scrambling Canadian QB who was in US college ball and i think draftable this coming year) - I would have no problem with the very best Canadian QBs available to the CFL not invited to try-out IF they were seriously scouted, AND by ALL teams in the league with need at the position (that is all 9 teams now IMO); however, even if just one single CFL team has a majority of Canadian football decision makers, they might also be afraid of the backlash/ridicule they would get from CFL establishment insider types or media or fans (like yourself Ravi)who's minds are already made-up that Canadian QBs ain't "good enough.

They could also use some help at tailback - and there are a few good ones there this draft too.

HOWEVER - IMO - O'Shea and the Bummers have more pressing needs and maybe they should be looking at other positions this draft - like O-Line, DT or MLB.

eiben35
12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
I would love to draft running back Tyler Varga and make him an instant starter if he doesn't get drafted in the NFL. Anthony Coombs can be the back-up. Huge ratio changer! If not I would draft a receiver either emski or Richards. they need an upgrade over Spencer Watt who is a free agent.

OV Argo
12-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I would love to draft running back Tyler Varga and make him an instant starter if he doesn't get drafted in the NFL. Anthony Coombs can be the back-up. Huge ratio changer! If not I would draft a receiver either emski or Richards. they need an upgrade over Spencer Watt who is a free agent.

Don\t know about "instant starter" - he would have to earn that thru TC competiution, but Varga would be an interesting Argo acquisition IMO - IF they could draft him, he doesn\t get NFL interest (invited to the Senior Bowl means he will i think) AND he would report to the Argos (didn't i read a poster here last year maybe say Varga had said he had no interest in going pro? - maybe he meant low paying CFL compared to big NFL buck$?).

I liked both Slaton & Steele (showed more than his rookie season IMO) last year - both have some RB pop, and Slaton could do more damage with more work; however in talking this Argo offence under Millanovich - serious commitment to an applied ground game is questionable, and maybe a multi-purpose back who can just be used for a few carries plus some receptions a game is more what they like; Varga is a big load at 225 and those type backs do well when they get lots of carries a game - probably not in the cards for this Argo offence = maybe not the wisest draft pick; OTOH - if they were to consider a real ground game, Varga with Coombs in a 1-2 punch (2 different style backs) might be quite nice and they could maybe think of going all NI at tailback ... very doubtful IMO.

Stouffvillain
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM
The 1st mock draft from Justin Dunk has been posted on the CFL website

http://cfl.ca/article/justin-dunks-2015-mock-draft-version-1

Has Argo's going with Jacob Ruby from Richmond.

Nob
01-10-2015, 01:32 AM
I had the pleasure of coaching Jacob in London. Great kid. Great family.

I'd be thrilled if he becomes an Argonaut.

OV Argo
01-10-2015, 02:02 AM
The 1st mock draft from Justin Dunk has been posted on the CFL website

http://cfl.ca/article/justin-dunks-2015-mock-draft-version-1

Has Argo's going with Jacob Ruby from Richmond.

I guess if this guy is so good he's a potential instant starter ? - but the Argos already have Sewell as a young OT and Holmes and Scott Mitchell can play there too or inside; plus that guy from UBC from last year's draft = Argos have some NI O-linemen - seems to me they have more pressing needs - like DT or receiver.

Dunk\s mock is kinda whacked IMO

Wobbler
01-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Did anyone watch the East-West Shrine game? Neither of the quick write-ups I saw mentioned Waud or Richards, but it would be helpful to know if they made any impression.

ArgoRavi
01-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Did anyone watch the East-West Shrine game? Neither of the quick write-ups I saw mentioned Waud or Richards, but it would be helpful to know if they made any impression.

I watched a fair bit of the 4th quarter but I can't shed any light on how either Waud or Richards did.

doubleblue
01-17-2015, 10:45 PM

Neither Richards or Waud stood out. Richards and another receiver both ran the same down and out on one play the ball was thrown his way and he was overthrown.
They liked his size at (6'5 209) but will need to run good routes in the Pros because he doesn't have separation speed. I would say the CFL running start would be more suited to him.
Waud played a fair bit in the third quarter and while he did a good job stuffing the run but he didn't get any pressure on the QB's. The DE he played beside Anthony Chickillo was awesome rushing the passer and making tackles. Listed at 6'4 but looked closer to 6'2 IMO. They say he is a tweener for the NFL, not big enough to play the DLine and too big for LBer. I would think some CFL team would have him on their neg list.
But I expect both Waud and Richards to be in the CFL this year and be good pros, but some NFL team might still bring them into training camp a projects. Especially Waud with his 6'5 290 size.

Wobbler
01-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Thanks db! I'd be happy if we drafted either of them, and it's probably helpful that neither took themselves off our radar with a brilliant performance today.

OV Argo
01-18-2015, 10:17 PM

I saw parts of the game - Richards made a nice grab in traffic early (and had another catch later i heard); Waud made a tackle for a loss in one of his first appearances on the field, but i didn\t see him do much else later; Canadian OT Brett Boyko (UNLV) - #1 CFL rated draft prospect - was invited to this game but scratched due to injury.

Boyko might be an NFL draft pick; Waud & Richards have a shot too but maybe more like free agent after the draft signings; RB Tyler Varga is going to the Senior Bowl - top prospects / #1 college all-star game, and might get NFL drafted too. The top rated Canadian prospect for this draft is actually probably QB Brandon Bridge (S. Alabama i think it is) - 6-5, can run/scramble very well and has a gun for an arm; seen him rated as high as #6 on NFL position draft rankings; and surprise, surprise - nowhere to be found in the CFL site's draft prospects list.

Wobbler
01-19-2015, 12:43 AM
Interesting - I wasn't familiar with Bridge. NFLDraftScout has him in the 5th-7th round range (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105598&draftyear=2015&genpos=QB), and he does seem to be the most highly regarded Canadian-born QB in a long time. Unlike like you, I'm genuinely surprised that he hasn't shown up on the Top 15 CFL draft lists. He'll be better off with an NFL team, though, and not just for monetary reasons. The extra coaching staff/facilities/support/pressure will help.

Nice to hear that Richards and Waud made contributions.

ArgoRavi
01-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Interesting - I wasn't familiar with Bridge. NFLDraftScout has him in the 5th-7th round range (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105598&draftyear=2015&genpos=QB), and he does seem to be the most highly regarded Canadian-born QB in a long time.

I guess that he would be the most highly-regarded Canadian QB since Jesse Palmer. We learn more about Bridge in this interview where he says that he is open to a CFL career: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24860921/meet-the-prospect-south-alabama-qb-brandon-bridge

I think that it would be nice to see the Argos use one of their draft picks on a local QB. Barker was committed to developing a Canadian QB when he brought Danny Brannagan in a few years ago. Why not give this kid a shot?

gilthethrill
01-19-2015, 11:57 AM
It's a travesty that Bridge is not one of the top CFL draft prospects.

doubleblue
01-19-2015, 12:04 PM
I saw parts of the game - Richards made a nice grab in traffic early (and had another catch later i heard); Waud made a tackle for a loss in one of his first appearances on the field, but i didn\t see him do much else later; Canadian OT Brett Boyko (UNLV) - #1 CFL rated draft prospect - was invited to this game but scratched due to injury.

Boyko might be an NFL draft pick; Waud & Richards have a shot too but maybe more like free agent after the draft signings; RB Tyler Varga is going to the Senior Bowl - top prospects / #1 college all-star game, and might get NFL drafted too. The top rated Canadian prospect for this draft is actually probably QB Brandon Bridge (S. Alabama i think it is) - 6-5, can run/scramble very well and has a gun for an arm; seen him rated as high as #6 on NFL position draft rankings; and surprise, surprise - nowhere to be found in the CFL site's draft prospects list.

The latest I could find on Bridge is that he is rated 171 on the draft list which would put him in the 5th round. 4,754 yards passing with 39 TDs and 1,248 yards rushing with 14 TDs in his four years in the NCAA at Alcorn State and South Alabama.

I would think one CFL team would take him late in the draft as a future prospect. 5th to 7th round or FA in the NFL doesn't make him a sure thing to stick after a couple of years on the PR down there.

Grover Covington's son Christian (DE 6'3 300) might end up being the highest picked Canadian in the NFL draft now that he has declared for this year. Some reports have him going in the 2nd or 3rd round.

OV Argo
01-19-2015, 12:37 PM
The latest I could find on Bridge is that he is rated 171 on the draft list which would put him in the 5th round. 4,754 yards passing with 39 TDs and 1,248 yards rushing with 14 TDs in his four years in the NCAA at Alcorn State and South Alabama.

I would think one CFL team would take him late in the draft as a future prospect. 5th to 7th round or FA in the NFL doesn't make him a sure thing to stick after a couple of years on the PR down there.

Grover Covington's son Christian (DE 6'3 300) might end up being the highest picked Canadian in the NFL draft now that he has declared for this year. Some reports have him going in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Yeah - i sorta forgot about Covington - since he declared; seen him rated at #8 amongst DTs (not DE) on one NFL draft site; have seen Bridge rated as high as #6 amongst QBs though.

Covington, Boyko, Varga or Lamar Durant, Waud, Richards - all might draw NFL interest - which could/should scare off some CFL teams from using early round picks on them.

Bridge should get an NFL look and probably drafted. The CFL has no interest in Canadian QBs though; so gillthethrill may find it a "travesty" he is not listed as a top CFL draft prospect on their site, but it is no surprise given who is doing the ratings there.

doubleblue
01-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah - i sorta forgot about Covington - since he declared; seen him rated at #8 amongst DTs (not DE) on one NFL draft site; have seen Bridge rated as high as #6 amongst QBs though.

Covington, Boyko, Varga or Lamar Durant, Waud, Richards - all might draw NFL interest - which could/should scare off some CFL teams from using early round picks on them.

Bridge should get an NFL look and probably drafted. The CFL has no interest in Canadian QBs though; so gillthethrill may find it a "travesty" he is not listed as a top CFL draft prospect on their site, but it is no surprise given who is doing the ratings there.

I was reading the Bio's of the 13 QB's who were drafted by the NFL last year. Brandon Bridge has a lot of the good qualities they were saying about the better ones. Except they think he is too raw just yet. It sounds like the NFL combine will be big for him as some of last year's guys went up the draft scale and others down after going through the combine.

Here is some of the scouts thoughts on him. Tall, long striding speed with elite level arm strength. Quick release and not afraid to throw into tight coverage because of his arm strength. Mobile for his size. Quick thinking under pressure. Toughness. (otherwise stuff you can't teach)

Weakness. Very raw, lacks experience, only started 12 games in College. Stares down receivers too much. (IMO most young QB's do that) Throws too hard at times. Mechanics and accuracy needs refining. Will need a couple of years before he's ready.

A team that is smart could take him in the 5th or 6th round and not rush him (like Buffalo did with Manuel) and they might have something by year three.

Argo57
01-19-2015, 07:16 PM
I was reading the Bio's of the 13 QB's who were drafted by the NFL last year. Brandon Bridge has a lot of the good qualities they were saying about the better ones. Except they think he is too raw just yet. It sounds like the NFL combine will be big for him as some of last year's guys went up the draft scale and others down after going through the combine.

Here is some of the scouts thoughts on him. Tall, long striding speed with elite level arm strength. Quick release and not afraid to throw into tight coverage because of his arm strength. Mobile for his size. Quick thinking under pressure. Toughness. (otherwise stuff you can't teach)

Weakness. Very raw, lacks experience, only started 12 games in College. Stares down receivers too much. (IMO most young QB's do that) Throws too hard at times. Mechanics and accuracy needs refining. Will need a couple of years before he's ready.

A team that is smart could take him in the 5th or 6th round and not rush him (like Buffalo did with Manuel) and they might have something by year three.

Correct doubleblue the weaknesses stated apply to many QB's entering the pros, expect Bridge to exhaust any and all NFL opportunities not only from a financial standpoint but sadly I'm sure he realizes he will get a better chance down south than in the CFL. Pretty bizarre when you think about it!!

OV Argo
01-20-2015, 01:59 AM
It's a travesty that Bridge is not one of the top CFL draft prospects.

Jordan Yantz (Manitoba) should be on that list too IMO; Yantz is big, mobile and has a good arm and has been a winner in both Junior ball and the CIS.

And if we're talking Canadian QBs further - Vanier winning QB Gabe Cousineau (Montreal) - may be IMO the best pure passing talent of the 3, but he has sadly drawn little recognition. Not sure when he is up in the CFL draft, but i guess that doesn't really matter.

doubleblue
01-20-2015, 07:38 AM
The only way I see the Canadian QB's to be given a chance and develop on a CFL roster is to change the rule back to X number of Canadians and X number of Imports. Let the Coaches figure out how they want to address the backup QB situation. I think we would soon start to see Canadian QB's being kept as 3rd stringers. Some would eventually get a chance to play here and there just like the 3rd string Imports do now. Once in a blue moon, but they would be developing and learning just like players at other positions do now. But the hue and cry will be there aren't enough to stock all nine teams. I say tough bananas, they shouldn't have changed the rule in the first place.

OV Argo
01-20-2015, 10:42 AM
The only way I see the Canadian QB's to be given a chance and develop on a CFL roster is to change the rule back to X number of Canadians and X number of Imports. Let the Coaches figure out how they want to address the backup QB situation. I think we would soon start to see Canadian QB's being kept as 3rd stringers. Some would eventually get a chance to play here and there just like the 3rd string Imports do now. Once in a blue moon, but they would be developing and learning just like players at other positions do now. But the hue and cry will be there aren't enough to stock all nine teams. I say tough bananas, they shouldn't have changed the rule in the first place.

I agree.

The roster rules now are a joke and especially the QBs not counting part; also the designated import business is garbage too; just more excuses for the typical CFL decision maker to get more imports on the roster at the expense of Canadian players - in the CANADIAN Football League. Go to x number of NIs & imports, period, and start looking at top Canadian talent at all positions.

I also don't like the 46 man roster down to 42 at game time. A forty man game roster with a 6 or 7 man PR would be fine by me. The number of NIs vs. imports would be a matter of much debate I realize but I'd like to see a clear majority of Canadian / NI players on CANADIAN Football League rosters - say 23 NIs and 17 imports and at least half the PR has to be NI as well (as opposed to now where it is mostly imports): a full two thirds of "starting positions" could still be manned by imports this way with the 17th import a ST specialist potentially = that is plenty of import talent. And if the personnel guys want to continue to ignore Canadian QBs and just carry American QBs, then good for them - they would have to do with less imports elsewhere. AND there is easily, IMO, enough Canadian/NI talent out there to stock a 10 team CFL this way - which again i realize would be a subject of much debate ... with the Americans calling a lot of CFL shots lobbying for more of their guys and trying to claim there isn\t enough Canadian talent = bull$&*t that good ole boys have been saying for some time, with it being dutifully parroted by a lot of the media idiots who report on football up here.

:sick:

doubleblue
01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
I don't think we will see a change in the number of Canadian players dressing for a game, which is 21. The CFLPA is pretty well ruled by the Canadian members. So that number isn't going to change without a big negotiation between the Players and the League. The QB rule IMO could be changed more easily. Still the same numbers of Canadians 21 and Imports 23 for game day. Minimum 7 Canadian starters still and 17 Imports but the Coaches would be able to decide how they wanted to use the remaining 6 Import spots. The more progressive ones wouldn't be long thinking "if I can use a Canadian QB as my 3rd stringer I would then have another import backup somewhere else". That is the only way I can see the Canadian QB's getting a chance to play eventually. Might be a little rough at first finding QB's for all nine teams now. Once a team found a good Canadian he would probably be good for ten years or so.
But maybe I just dreaming, but would like to see some way to give the Canadian QB's a chance to develop and play in the League.

OV Argo
01-20-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't think we will see a change in the number of Canadian players dressing for a game, which is 21. The CFLPA is pretty well ruled by the Canadian members. So that number isn't going to change without a big negotiation between the Players and the League. The QB rule IMO could be changed more easily. Still the same numbers of Canadians 21 and Imports 23 for game day. Minimum 7 Canadian starters still and 17 Imports but the Coaches would be able to decide how they wanted to use the remaining 6 Import spots. The more progressive ones wouldn't be long thinking "if I can use a Canadian QB as my 3rd stringer I would then have another import backup somewhere else". That is the only way I can see the Canadian QB's getting a chance to play eventually. Might be a little rough at first finding QB's for all nine teams now. Once a team found a good Canadian he would probably be good for ten years or so.
But maybe I just dreaming, but would like to see some way to give the Canadian QB's a chance to develop and play in the League.

Yeah - that could quite well work / help.

Another way of course would be for a whole bunch of CFL teams to be run by mostly Canadian football people - guys who coached a lot in CIS or Junior ball (and a lot of these type guys played in the CFL too) = coaching staffs who would have knowledge of and respect for all Canadian talent, including QBs, and would not hesitate to bring in top Canadian QB talent to ACTUALLY COMPETE in TC, and WHEN they had need at the QB depth chart for TC ! A few of the very best NI QBs get to compete for real in a TC and the some of these guys would make CFL rosters, develop and maybe eventually earn playing time; as opposed to now where NI QBs do not get to compete in TC - with all sorts of CFL teams with precious little at 3rd or 4th on the QB depth chart - but they do bring in any American QBs they can find and 2 or 3 of those young guys do get to make CFL rosters - x9, year in, year out.

I`m dreaming there though; and the CFLPA got crushed in the last contract - they could be told, sold or led to more Canadian content - easily - with some leadership and vision from the CFL head office.

ArgoRavi
01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Yeah - that could quite well work / help.

Another way of course would be for a whole bunch of CFL teams to be run by mostly Canadian football people - guys who coached a lot in CIS or Junior ball (and a lot of these type guys played in the CFL too) = coaching staffs who would have knowledge of and respect for all Canadian talent, including QBs, and would not hesitate to bring in top Canadian QB talent to ACTUALLY COMPETE in TC, and WHEN they had need at the QB depth chart for TC ! A few of the very best NI QBs get to compete for real in a TC and the some of these guys would make CFL rosters, develop and maybe eventually earn playing time; as opposed to now where NI QBs do not get to compete in TC - with all sorts of CFL teams with precious little at 3rd or 4th on the QB depth chart - but they do bring in any American QBs they can find and 2 or 3 of those young guys do get to make CFL rosters - x9, year in, year out.

I`m dreaming there though; and the CFLPA got crushed in the last contract - they could be told, sold or led to more Canadian content - easily - with some leadership and vision from the CFL head office.

The Blue Bombers are being run by Canadians who have come out of the CIS system so perhaps they will take the plunge with a Canadian QB, OV.

Argocister
02-01-2015, 01:40 PM
The Blue Bombers are being run by Canadians who have come out of the CIS system so perhaps they will take the plunge with a Canadian QB, OV.

And they just hired Macs DC .... Greg Knox .... Onto their defensive coaching staff.
And they just traded so that they have 3 draft choices in the top 15. .... Canadian plus so far there.... But let's see at the end of the season if they end up any different from the others wrt their Canadian talent.

For the Argos draft picks ..... With Himebauch in, and keeping most of our OLine ( did we lose anyone?) I think our Oline should be stable. Maybe get an Oline player further down the draft
. And shoring up our Dline with the trade for Foley , I can see we don't need the Dline off the top..... Do you see Barker et al choosing one of the top receivers in the first couple of rounds?

paulwoods13
02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
. And shoring up our Dline with the trade for Foley , I can see we don't need the Dline off the top..... Do you see Barker et al choosing one of the top receivers in the first couple of rounds?

I'd like to get a receiver, but I feel we also need d-line help. If we start Foley and Laing, we will need a strong backup NAT d-lineman. We don't have one we can rely on at the moment. Ivan Brown is OK but not someone who could play tons of snaps on D, IMO.

OV Argo
02-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I'd like to get a receiver, but I feel we also need d-line help. If we start Foley and Laing, we will need a strong backup NAT d-lineman. We don't have one we can rely on at the moment. Ivan Brown is OK but not someone who could play tons of snaps on D, IMO.

Brown was good on special teams last year IMO, but did little in playing time at DE the year before.

Have to be more specific rather than just generic back-up D-lineman - Brown isn't about to play DT - IMO - either a DE or a DT - unless you can find a guy who can play a bit of both (like Menard from last year\s draft - maybe Lattanzio from this year's crop);; very good DT crop this draft IMO so easier to go there - might find a good DT in 2nd to mid rounds.

doubleblue
02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Dwayne Forde has finally come out with a column explaining the new "National" rule. It is pretty well what I thought, that any player who is a Canadian citizen by birth or qualifies because one parent is a Canadian will be termed a "National" for CFL purposes. Players like Austin Collie have become eligible now as Nationals as they are Canadian born, but because their CFL Draft year is past they are classed as Free Agents. However going forward these type of players will have to go through the CL Draft. This year Dwayne says there are four such players with the most prominent one being Maxx Forde (6'5 275) a DT at Idaho, son of former CFL LB Brian Forde (Montreal & BC).
So we can throw Maxx Forde into the mix for a potential CFL DT in the up coming Draft and could be someone the Argos could pick up in the 2nd round. I guess depending how good he is at the combine. This years stats show 30 tackles and 1 sack as a DT. So doesn't sound like he would be considered in the top ten or maybe even the top 20 prospects.

As Dwayne states, this will help somewhat increase the National talent pool that is being drained by the increased NFL interest in the top Canadian players.

Wobbler
03-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Scott Mitchell has posted his mock draft (http://blogs.canoe.ca/theoutwriters/sports/2015-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/). He projects that we'll take WR Durant and OL Levoie in the first and second rounds, respectively.

doubleblue
03-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Scott Mitchell has posted his mock draft (http://blogs.canoe.ca/theoutwriters/sports/2015-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/). He projects that we'll take WR Durant and OL Levoie in the first and second rounds, respectively.

Probably has most of these guys listed are going in the top three rounds. I would think players like OG Dillon Guy Buffalo, OG Quinn Lawlor BYU, WR Andrew Johnson Fort Lewis College, FB Chris Normand Laval, LB Blair Smith Angelo State and maybe even QB Brandon Bridge will be candidates as well.
The top four rounds are going to see some pretty fair country ball players IMO.

gilthethrill
03-14-2015, 07:20 AM

David Lee was quietly released by Saskatchewan a couple months ago. Surprised nothing has been said about bringing him back. Brandon Tennant, a big DL from Laval would be a nice pick.

1argoholic
03-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Lee would be great back in double blue. Liked his non stop engine.

ArgoRavi
03-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Lee would be great back in double blue. Liked his non stop engine.

Lee was an impressive rookie back in 2012 but his play dropped off in 2013 and it does not appear as though it picked up in 2014. He is not trending in the right direction unfortunately.

OV Argo
03-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Lee was an impressive rookie back in 2012 but his play dropped off in 2013 and it does not appear as though it picked up in 2014. He is not trending in the right direction unfortunately.

Agreed Lee played his best in his rookie season; but he has several years of CFL experience now and it\s not like he all of a sudden became useless (thought he did OK in a bit of time with the Riders last year); why not bring him into TC for a look? - unless Barker thinks he can be no help; Ivan Brown is still there as a back-up DE who can play STs pretty well, but Lee is a better DE IMO; they could also draft a young DE coming up. Most CFL teams give little to no playing time to NI DEs though; Brown or whoever could back-up Foley; but i am also hoping both Okpo and Whiteside are back to play DE - might form a really strong trio in a rotation with Foley = not much need for a back-up DE ?

doubleblue
03-14-2015, 05:24 PM

David Lee was a disappointment IMO during his time with the Argos. Had the size and speed that you can't teach, but apparently they couldn't teach him the finer points of the game, like tackling. He was signed as a free agent out of University so the scouts must have had some reservations.
Hopefully Barker can bring in a young Canadian DE to give some depth behind Foley. Saw a kid playing for Guelph this year, Cam Walker, about the same size as Lee and I don't see him listed high on the draft charts. But he could turn into a useful player for some team, hopefully the Argos.

paulwoods13
03-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Agreed Lee played his best in his rookie season; but he has several years of CFL experience now and it\s not like he all of a sudden became useless (thought he did OK in a bit of time with the Riders last year); why not bring him into TC for a look? - unless Barker thinks he can be no help; Ivan Brown is still there as a back-up DE who can play STs pretty well, but Lee is a better DE IMO; they could also draft a young DE coming up. Most CFL teams give little to no playing time to NI DEs though; Brown or whoever could back-up Foley; but i am also hoping both Okpo and Whiteside are back to play DE - might form a really strong trio in a rotation with Foley = not much need for a back-up DE ?

Brown is gone to Wpg, so I would definitely bring in Lee as a potential backup altho I wonder if he hates Foley because of the way RF's brother continually dissed Lee online. I hope Whiteside has a better, more consistent second season -- it often happens that guys get better after their first year of Cdn football.

Wobbler
03-14-2015, 05:36 PM
We already know what Lee can do. I'd rather reserve our roster slots for new guys, hopefully including a DL or two from the draft.

Speaking of which... isn't it time we drafted a kicker? Waters has been healthy lately and he's still quite young, but it would be nice to have a plan B.

ArgoRavi
03-14-2015, 07:23 PM
We already know what Lee can do. I'd rather reserve our roster slots for new guys, hopefully including a DL or two from the draft.

I would tend to agree. See if you can add a better prospect through the draft or even through free agency after the draft and look to Lee later, if he is still available, only if you have to.

OV Argo
03-15-2015, 02:06 AM
Brown is gone to Wpg, so I would definitely bring in Lee as a potential backup altho I wonder if he hates Foley because of the way RF's brother continually dissed Lee online. I hope Whiteside has a better, more consistent second season -- it often happens that guys get better after their first year of Cdn football.

Oops, right - forgot about Brown going to the Bummers. Anyways - hope Whiteside is back and will play & improve - like i said - him with Okpo & Foley as the 3 DEs = pretty strong group potentially; and not sure they would need to carry a 4th DE on the roster - inspite of the tired CFL cliche that a starting NI just has to have another NI as a back-up. Could still draft a DE though if they feel they need further depth and maybe that guy could be a good STer - one of those types could be had later in the draft - like Cam Walker who doubleblue mentioned, or JS Blanc (Montreal), or Jesse St James from the AUS.

doubleblue
03-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Oops, right - forgot about Brown going to the Bummers. Anyways - hope Whiteside is back and will play & improve - like i said - him with Okpo & Foley as the 3 DEs = pretty strong group potentially; and not sure they would need to carry a 4th DE on the roster - inspite of the tired CFL cliche that a starting NI just has to have another NI as a back-up. Could still draft a DE though if they feel they need further depth and maybe that guy could be a good STer - one of those types could be had later in the draft - like Cam Walker who doubleblue mentioned, or JS Blanc (Montreal), or Jesse St James from the AUS.

I see all three DE's mentioned Walker (Toronto Combine) and Blanc and St. James (Montreal Combine) will be getting their chance to go to the Main Combine in a couple of weeks. Blanc is listed at 6'1 240, St. James 6'2 240 and Walker 6'4 250. It is quite common for Football players to a have an inch or two added to their height on roster programs. Many times I have attended training camps and noticed players listed at 6'4 and you can tell they really are only 6'2, and so on down the line, 5'8 becomes 5'10 etc. There has been some good shorter rush ends in the CFL over the years but I think the taller ones are more in demand if they are equal in ability. Cam Walker looks at least 6'3 to me with room to grow. But he would have to be rated only about 9th or 10th on the prospect DL list if the scouts know what they are talking about. But past history makes one shake your head at some of the picks that never pan out. Saying that Barker has done a good job the last few years for the Argos.
I haven't seen the exact draft position for each team yet, but I believe the Argos traded away their third pick this year. That is going to cost them a good prospect this year, seeing how deep they say the draft is.

Wobbler
03-15-2015, 01:21 PM
I haven't seen the exact draft position for each team yet, but I believe the Argos traded away their third pick this year.
Nope. Or, not unless the conditional pick we sent to Sask ends up being a third (which I doubt). The Wikipedia draft page is up to date with all of the selection movement so far.

OV Argo
03-15-2015, 01:22 PM
I see all three DE's mentioned Walker (Toronto Combine) and Blanc and St. James (Montreal Combine) will be getting their chance to go to the Main Combine in a couple of weeks. Blanc is listed at 6'1 240, St. James 6'2 240 and Walker 6'4 250. It is quite common for Football players to a have an inch or two added to their height on roster programs. Many times I have attended training camps and noticed players listed at 6'4 and you can tell they really are only 6'2, and so on down the line, 5'8 becomes 5'10 etc. There has been some good shorter rush ends in the CFL over the years but I think the taller ones are more in demand if they are equal in ability. Cam Walker looks at least 6'3 to me with room to grow. But he would have to be rated only about 9th or 10th on the prospect DL list if the scouts know what they are talking about. But past history makes one shake your head at some of the picks that never pan out. Saying that Barker has done a good job the last few years for the Argos.
I haven't seen the exact draft position for each team yet, but I believe the Argos traded away their third pick this year. That is going to cost them a good prospect this year, seeing how deep they say the draft is.

Combines have actual weigh-ins and measuring so there can be no mistake about height/weight; the CFL used to publish those exact heights and weights in their Combine info but i think they went away from that the past couple of years and just list the pre-Combine numbers; the CIS East-West game has a series of tests and they do publish those numbers; what gets listed on team game day or site rosters is another matter and sometimes those can be off or exaggerated i guess.

gilthethrill
03-15-2015, 04:42 PM

I am expecting Kyle Moore to come back from his season ending injury & push for a job at DE as well this season.

OV Argo
03-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Nope. Or, not unless the conditional pick we sent to Sask ends up being a third (which I doubt). The Wikipedia draft page is up to date with all of the selection movement so far.

Aren't the Argos owed a pick somewhere, from the Bombers, in the trade for Josh Portis ?

Wobbler
03-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Aren't the Argos owed a pick somewhere, from the Bombers, in the trade for Josh Portis ?
It's nice to see that you've been paying attention, OV. ;)

Wobbler
03-21-2015, 12:57 PM
A few observers have pointed out that the gap between the NFL draft (May 2) and the CFL draft (May 12) works out nicely this year. By CFL draft day, NFL teams will have already made a lot of decisions regarding FA signings and camp invites, so there should be greater clarity regarding the realistic availability of draft prospects. Everyone will benefit, but I'd like to think that teams with high draft picks (i.e. us) and therefore the first shot at the top prospects, will benefit the most.

doubleblue
03-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Justin Dunk with his second "mock Draft" still has OT Jacob Ruby out of Richmond as Argos first pick. Maybe he has inside information, but if one of the two top WR's IMO Demski and Durant are still there at #3 it would be difficult to pass on them. Ruby might well still be there at #12, but it would be a gamble I guess.

Argo57
03-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Justin Dunk with his second "mock Draft" still has OT Jacob Ruby out of Richmond as Argos first pick. Maybe he has inside information, but if one of the two top WR's IMO Demski and Durant are still there at #3 it would be difficult to pass on them. Ruby might well still be there at #12, but it would be a gamble I guess.

I say go with the skilled receiver and see how Sewell develops, looks like Argos prefer an import at the position anyway.

ArgoRavi
03-26-2015, 08:59 PM
I say go with the skilled receiver and see how Sewell develops, looks like Argos prefer an import at the position anyway.

Barker has said before that he would prefer to start five Canadians on the offensive line but the Argos just don't have that luxury at the moment. There is an old saying that you can't have enough good Canadian offensive linemen and I am not sure that the Argos feel comfortable with their Canadian depth along the o-line at the moment.

OV Argo
03-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Barker has said before that he would prefer to start five Canadians on the offensive line but the Argos just don't have that luxury at the moment. There is an old saying that you can't have enough good Canadian offensive linemen and I am not sure that the Argos feel comfortable with their Canadian depth along the o-line at the moment.

Montreal is the only current CFL team to start all 5 NIs on the O-Line - and IMO they have about the best O-line in the league (added former draft pick and ex-NFLer Phil Blake this off-season).

Good ole CFL sayings are fine & dandy and all, but teams have needs at lots of positions besides O-Line. Jerriel King is a very good O-lineman IMO (and has played at both OT and OG); new addition Campbell may prove a starter too; the Argos could draft Ruby and let him and Sewell battle it out for an OT spot, but i highly doubt they get the chance if an import is pencilled in instead. A natural interior O-lineman (like Chung or McEwen) might make more sense. Still rather see them go receiver or DT with the 1st pick and hopefully you get a guy who can contribute right away - and in areas of IMO bigger need. Lemar Durant did not advance from the NFL regional Combine he was at to the Super Regional (Chung did); i thought Durant was going to be a good bet to draw serious NFL interest, but maybe not; and IF not - love to see the Argos get him with their 1st pick = a big target who could challenge for a starting receiver spot right away IMO (and BTW - and word on last year`s draft pick receiever Pszonzak coming back for TC?)

jerrym
04-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Dunk assesses offensive and defensive lines.

http://www.argonauts.ca/article/syndicated/467009/stock-assessment-dunk-analyzes-the-ol-and-dl

doubleblue
04-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Dunk assesses offensive and defensive lines.

http://www.argonauts.ca/article/syndicated/467009/stock-assessment-dunk-analyzes-the-ol-and-dl

As much as I would love to see Barker take one of those top rated receivers in the first round I think they have to take an O Lineman. After Van Zeyl. Holmes and Keeping things get a little iffy IMO. So it will probably be one of the two Calgary guys or Ruby. The Laval Lineman Danny Groulx is pretty good as well. Wouldn't be surprised though to see Ottawa take him first overall if Mateas signs down south.

OV Argo
04-12-2015, 08:35 PM
As much as I would love to see Barker take one of those top rated receivers in the first round I think they have to take an O Lineman. After Van Zeyl. Holmes and Keeping things get a little iffy IMO. So it will probably be one of the two Calgary guys or Ruby. The Laval Lineman Danny Groulx is pretty good as well. Wouldn't be surprised though to see Ottawa take him first overall if Mateas signs down south.

Little to no indication i have heard that Mateas is on any NFL radar; i think Ottawa takes him first overall (IF he does not get an NFL look) - he is a local guy and played Div I ball - though McEwen may actually be a better C talent. Groulx is actually an Ottawa area guy too, but maybe not as likely to make an impact right away.

IF the Argos do decide to go O-Line with their 1st pick - i hope it is a natural interior O-lineman - like McEwen, Chung or Mateas; Groulx or Ruby or Karl Lavoie sound like pretty decent OT prospects, but not sure they are any ahead of Sewell in terms of talent or being pro ready, and an NI OT is going to be graded very toughly compared to an import if the thinking is imports preferred there.

The 1st pick this draft should, IMO, be a guy who can come in and compete for playing time right away in a position of need: a receiver like Durant or Richards or a DT like Waud (though i think a good DT prospect can be had with the Argos 2nd or later picks), should be able to compete for playing time right away; another back-up OT prospect is not a good use of a top pick this draft, IMO.

Some sleeper picks out there I`d like to see the Argos be able to get in the mid to late rounds - like S Anthony Coady (Montreal) - apparently didn`t overly impress at the CFL Combine according to one report (i think it was Dunk - whose opinions there i find quite questionable) - i think Coady could press for playing time right away (yep - might be better than Gabriel); also former CIS all-star DT Jacob LeBlanc = getting no draft recognition i have heard of - did not get invited to the main Combine after i guess not impressing at one of the Regionals - but a 300+ load at DT who has played well on a strong team that has advanced to play-off competition the past couple of seasons - IMO he might be able to play right away in a platoon or back-up role to Laing at DT.

ArgoRavi
04-12-2015, 11:59 PM
If the Argos choose not to take an offensive lineman with their first round pick just because he might not start this season, that could end up being very short-sighted thinking, especially if that player has the capability to start the next ten seasons after this one. I suspect we will see a first round that is heavy in offensive linemen and I also suspect that the Argos will choose one of those linemen. They do need more depth along the o-line IMO and you cannot have enough good Canadian offensive linemen. That was a strength of this team when they won the 2012 Grey Cup.

OV Argo
04-13-2015, 10:32 AM
If the Argos choose not to take an offensive lineman with their first round pick just because he might not start this season, that could end up being very short-sighted thinking, especially if that player has the capability to start the next ten seasons after this one. I suspect we will see a first round that is heavy in offensive linemen and I also suspect that the Argos will choose one of those linemen. They do need more depth along the o-line IMO and you cannot have enough good Canadian offensive linemen. That was a strength of this team when they won the 2012 Grey Cup.

Who are the O-lineman this draft who will be CFL starters for 10 years there ? - and why aren't Sewell or Dhillon (from last year's draft) going to be starters for 10 years? Maybe they should draft only O-lineman since it's a good ole CFL way - draft 5 or 6 of them every year and maybe you get lucky once in awhile to find a starter; and at the same time totally ignore quality players at other positions that could help your team in area of needs ?

AngeloV
04-13-2015, 02:02 PM
I still think they should go either receiver or DL.

ArgoRavi
04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
I still think they should go either receiver or DL.

If they sign Westerman I doubt that they would use a first round pick on a DL. My gut feeling is that they will go with an OL in the first round and that the draft is so deep that they can still get promising receivers and DL in subsequent rounds. It may not be a stretch to think that one of the highly-rated receivers will slip to the Argos' second round spot.

Wobbler
04-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Speaking of Westerman, an article from two weeks ago (http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1328340/b-c-lions-gm-buono-travis-lulay-shoulder-not-guaranteed-to-be-at-upcoming-camp/) mentioned that BC had made him an offer but that "He still wants to see if the NFL is there for him”.

doubleblue
04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Speaking of Westerman, an article from two weeks ago (http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1328340/b-c-lions-gm-buono-travis-lulay-shoulder-not-guaranteed-to-be-at-upcoming-camp/) mentioned that BC had made him an offer but that "He still wants to see if the NFL is there for him”.

I can't see a NFL team wanting him if they don't see him as a starter. They would have to pay him about double what a rookie would make on the basic NFL salary. Maybe he is just trying to get a better offer out of the Lions or the Argos.

jerrym
04-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Dunk analyzes REC and RB

http://www.cfl.ca/article/stock-assessment-dunk-analyzes-rec-and-rb

Dunk analyzes LBs and DBs

http://www.cfl.ca/article/stock-assessment-dunk-analyzes-defensive-talent

doubleblue
04-17-2015, 10:54 PM
Shouldn't we be seeing the latest draft rankings soon. After the combine there should be some players moving up and a few falling out of the first round. It will be interesting to see where they put Durant. Also Bodanis and Forde performed well at the combine.

Wobbler
04-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Yep - could be any day now. In 2013 the final rankings were released on Apr. 18th.

Rids
04-24-2015, 06:19 PM
The Spring rankings:

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
Rank
Name
Position
School

1 (--)

Christian Covington
DL
Rice

2 (1)

Brett Boyko
OL
UNLV

3 (2)

Alex Mateas
OL
UCONN

4 (4)

Tyler Varga
RB
Yale

5 (8)

Danny Groulx
OL
Laval

6 (7)

Sukh Chungh
OL
Calgary

7 (3)

Daryl Waud
DL
Western

8 (--)

Lemar Durant
REC
Simon Fraser

9 (5)

Nic Demski
REC
Manitoba

10 (6)

Sean McEwen
OL
Calgary

11 (12)

Chris Ackie
DB
Wilfrid Laurier

12 (9)

Addison Richards
RED
Regina

13 (10)

Jacob Ruby
OL
Richmond

14 (17)

Byron Archambault
LB
Montreal

15 (--)

Tevaughn Campbell
DB
Regina

16 (--)

Shaquille Murray-Lawrence
RB
UNLV

17 (18)

Ese Mrabure-Ajufo
DL
Wilfrid Laurier

18 (19)

Jake Harty
REC
Calgary

19 (--)

Brandon Bridge
QB
South Alabama

20 (11)

Nick Shortill
LB
McMaster

</tbody>

http://www.cfl.ca/article/final-scouting-bureau-rankings-released

ArgoRavi
04-24-2015, 07:51 PM
QB Brandon Bridge being ranked at #19 should please a few folks. :)

OV Argo
04-24-2015, 08:05 PM
QB Brandon Bridge being ranked at #19 should please a few folks. :)

IF anybody has followed the history of CFL draft prospect rankings - ALL top rated NCAA Canadian players, especially those rated as good to even decent NFL prospects, have always been at or near the top of the CFL prospects list - and it mattered not about good fit for the CFL or NFL flight risk - like Boyko or Varga or now Covington at number 1 this list. Not Bridge though - didn't even make the top 20 before, and now checks in at #19 = gee what a shocker and there of course will be some fine explanations or excuses able to be offered up for Bridge getting no notice before or rated way down the list now. Amusing stuff.

Wobbler
04-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Nothing makes OV happy, Ravi.

OV Argo
04-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Nothing makes OV happy, Ravi.

I was quite happily amused by that situation - just FYI. Got an explanation ? Better just to keep quiet on this one though. ;o)

argos1873
04-24-2015, 10:43 PM
IF anybody has followed the history of CFL draft prospect rankings - ALL top rated NCAA Canadian players, especially those rated as good to even decent NFL prospects, have always been at or near the top of the CFL prospects list - and it mattered not about good fit for the CFL or NFL flight risk - like Boyko or Varga or now Covington at number 1 this list. Not Bridge though - didn't even make the top 20 before, and now checks in at #19 = gee what a shocker and there of course will be some fine explanations or excuses able to be offered up for Bridge getting no notice before or rated way down the list now. Amusing stuff.

That's why I always said the CFL draft is a huge crap shoot. Not that any other pro draft isn't, but the CFL draft is particularly one. Teams can't rely on the central rankings because they are full of players who are NFL flight risks, but some draft based on that anyhow. And what's left are maybe marginal, or just aren't given the same stock. Oh and why even bother drafting a Canadian QB, when that QB won't help you with the ratio. Maybe if I'm a GM, I don't bother drafting Bridge, and try to sign him, if I think other GM's will think the same. Or maybe they won't. Again a crap shoot.

By the way, I know how to fix this problem, but I know it will never happen, or initially be very popular. But the solution is to year-by-year, slowly yet aggressively, in conjunction with the CIS and Football Canada, change the rules of Canadian football to be MORE differential than American football so that its more or even yet extremely difficult for players to make the crossover between the 2 games. In the last 50+ years the games have become more similar, mainly with the Canadian game adopting US rules. If you have a game that doesn't have to compete directly with a behemoth to the south, while still keeping or even enhancing its exciting uniqueness, you will alleviate this problem. And if you want to know how I think you should change the game, just look to its roots, while keeping in mind its future. I know this idea will be ridiculed, but its not like what we have now isn't ridiculed all the time. Because yeah, it is. Not that it should be, but it is.

Oh and in my vision there won't be a National/International ratio any more, because there won't be enough Americans who know how to play our game any more. But if there's an American who does, or European or Australian or from where ever in the world, welcome aboard. No more worrying about that garbage. Just the best CANADIAN FOOTBALL players in the world, playing a completely unique game. Crazy!!

OV Argo
04-24-2015, 11:07 PM
That's why I always said the CFL draft is a huge crap shoot. Not that any other pro draft isn't, but the CFL draft is particularly one. Teams can't rely on the central rankings because they are full of players who are NFL flight risks, but some draft based on that anyhow. And what's left are maybe marginal, or just aren't given the same stock. Oh and why even bother drafting a Canadian QB, when that QB won't help you with the ratio. Maybe if I'm a GM, I don't bother drafting Bridge, and try to sign him, if I think other GM's will think the same. Or maybe they won't. Again a crap shoot.

By the way, I know how to fix this problem, but I know it will never happen, or initially be very popular. But the solution is to year-by-year, slowly yet aggressively, in conjunction with the CIS and Football Canada, change the rules of Canadian football to be MORE differential than American football so that its more or even yet extremely difficult for players to make the crossover between the 2 games. In the last 50+ years the games have become more similar, mainly with the Canadian game adopting US rules. If you have a game that doesn't have to compete directly with a behemoth to the south, while still keeping or even enhancing its exciting uniqueness, you will alleviate this problem. And if you want to know how I think you should change the game, just look to its roots, while keeping in mind its future. I know this idea will be ridiculed, but its not like what we have now isn't ridiculed all the time. Because yeah, it is. Not that it should be, but it is.

Oh and in my vision there won't be a National/International ratio any more, because there won't be enough Americans who know how to play our game any more. But if there's an American who does, or European or Australian or from where ever in the world, welcome aboard. No more worrying about that garbage. Just the best CANADIAN FOOTBALL players in the world, playing a completely unique game. Crazy!!

??? - which US rules have the Canadian game adopted lately?

But i'd be quite happy with ALL the best Canadian players getting a chance to play in the big pro league in their own country. Who decides who gets to play there is a huge factor.

argos1873
04-24-2015, 11:19 PM
??? - which US rules have the Canadian game adopted lately?

But i'd be quite happy with ALL the best Canadian players getting a chance to play in the big pro league in their own country. Who decides who gets to play there is a huge factor.

I'm not talking major rules. Those rules were already adopted 50 years or so ago. I'm talking just minor rules, and game play. Are you saying, you can't think of any? I honestly can't think of any in particular as I'm not a rules expert, but I can think of hearing so many rule tweaks the CFL has made, with the explanation the NFL has already made this rule change. Are you trying to say that the CFL doesn't look at NFL rule changes, and sometimes implements them? Do you believe the games are unique and the CFL with its huge influence of American GM's and coaches doesn't look to, and sometimes follow NFL rule changes?

BTW, follow my idea, and you will get the best CANADIAN FOOTBALL players playing CANADIAN FOOTBALL. With Canadian coaches, and Canadian players. Because mostly ONLY Canadian players will be the ones playing the game. Because the game will ONLY for the most part be played in Canada.

argos1873
04-24-2015, 11:48 PM
I'm going to make a separate post on this regarding rule changes. When the NBA makes a rule change, does the NHL look at it? Maybe, just maybe if its player safety, but highly unlikely. But most likely no. When the NBA ranks its draft picks does the NHL have ANY players in its list of of top draft picks. Almost never. When the ABA existed they would have cared about NBA rules and NBA draft picks. Because they played an identical game, with nearly identical rules. But the NBA vs the NHL, its 2 different games. I would say that the NFL and CFL now days play a nearly identical game with nearly identical rules. You don't believe me? Ask an average man on the street. They won't care about 3 downs vs 4, or 110 yards vs 100, its just football. Why shouldn't they think that, when on the surface, to them, the best players go to the US, which plays nearly an identical game. Its just football, and the brand in Canada gets the lesser of players. Soccer is football. Rugby is football. Aussie rules is football. But none of them have a huge competition to get players from each other. Make Canadian football its own UNIQUE brand of football, and there will not be a competition of players. That's not the way it is now, because for the most part CANADIAN football, is too much like American football. I agree that not just any American football player can come and play Canadian football, and that Canadian football players can't compete, but seriously, look at who has starred in the CFL over the last 60 years. For the most part, Americans. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But if you want to have Canadians prominently in this league, you will have to make it a game that is prominently played by Canadians, not a game that is Canadian, but similar to an American game that they can just come over and play.

BTW I'm not trying to argue anything, I just want to through this idea out there. Maybe its completely stupid. But I'm sure when this great game was started someone thought it was completely stupid.

OV Argo
04-25-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm going to make a separate post on this regarding rule changes. When the NBA makes a rule change, does the NHL look at it? Maybe, just maybe if its player safety, but highly unlikely. But most likely no. When the NBA ranks its draft picks does the NHL have ANY players in its list of of top draft picks. Almost never. When the ABA existed they would have cared about NBA rules and NBA draft picks. Because they played an identical game, with nearly identical rules. But the NBA vs the NHL, its 2 different games. I would say that the NFL and CFL now days play a nearly identical game with nearly identical rules. You don't believe me? Ask an average man on the street. They won't care about 3 downs vs 4, or 110 yards vs 100, its just football. Why shouldn't they think that, when on the surface, to them, the best players go to the US, which plays nearly an identical game. Its just football, and the brand in Canada gets the lesser of players. Soccer is football. Rugby is football. Aussie rules is football. But none of them have a huge competition to get players from each other. Make Canadian football its own UNIQUE brand of football, and there will not be a competition of players. That's not the way it is now, because for the most part CANADIAN football, is too much like American football. I agree that not just any American football player can come and play Canadian football, and that Canadian football players can't compete, but seriously, look at who has starred in the CFL over the last 60 years. For the most part, Americans. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But if you want to have Canadians prominently in this league, you will have to make it a game that is prominently played by Canadians, not a game that is Canadian, but similar to an American game that they can just come over and play.

BTW I'm not trying to argue anything, I just want to through this idea out there. Maybe its completely stupid. But I'm sure when this great game was started someone thought it was completely stupid.

Canadian and American football were invented & developed at the same time - and they evolved to very distinct versions of the same basic game with so many different rules = Canadian football is not like American football that much IMO - and it's great to have 2 very distinct versions of the same game. Rugby or Aussie rules football are not even close to the same game. Unlike hockey - where there is North American style vs, European style - with a few differences, but not even close to the differences between Canadian & American football.

Not sure what you are suggesting to make Canadian football more different than American - take away the forward pass? - outlaw run plays ? make TDs worth 10 points ? eliminate the kicking game ??? A lot of the same basic skills work in both games, and I don't see how you can change that ?

argos1873
05-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Canadian and American football were invented & developed at the same time - and they evolved to very distinct versions of the same basic game with so many different rules = Canadian football is not like American football that much IMO - and it's great to have 2 very distinct versions of the same game. Rugby or Aussie rules football are not even close to the same game. Unlike hockey - where there is North American style vs, European style - with a few differences, but not even close to the differences between Canadian & American football.

Not sure what you are suggesting to make Canadian football more different than American - take away the forward pass? - outlaw run plays ? make TDs worth 10 points ? eliminate the kicking game ??? A lot of the same basic skills work in both games, and I don't see how you can change that ?

The 2 games may have been invented around the same time, but in reality, Rugby gave birth to both, and while Canadian football retained most of Rugby's rules up until the 30's, American football for many reasons changed rapidly into the game we know before the turn of the century, although the forward pass became legal after the turn of the century in American football. It wasn't until the 30s when Canadian teams started taking on American players that the rules started to change in favour of American rules. Then came the American coaches and GMs and the rules really went towards American football. You do know that in the 30s there was no blocking beyond the line of scrimmage in Canadian football? That is a rule slowly introduced with various changes, that made the Canadian game more like the American one. The forward pass was also introduced in the 30s. At any rate by the 50s, the games became similar enough that better trained American players could fairly easily adapt to the Canadian game. Not unlike North American and European hockey, although I will concede that even today the differences between American and Canadian football are more different than the differences between North American and European hockey. But not even close? That's a stretch.

What would I change? That's an interesting question, something I would have answered much more easily 20+ years ago when I first thought of this. But here's a few suggestions.

1, de-emphasize specialization. That may mean eliminating the platoon system to some degree, where players play both ways, there's no specialized kicker, a QB is just a position, not a special player.

2, I would never eliminate the forward pass, but maybe in some circumstances there can be more than one forward pass on a play? Maybe there can always be a forward pass?

3, De-emphasize the scrimmage. Does there always need to be a scrimmage on a downed player? Rugby league does something interesting on a downed player that is similar to a scrimmage/scrum, but is neither, that keeps the flow of the game going.

4, maybe eliminating some blocking. This may sound crazy, but if you read the American accounts of early games between Canadian and American teams the American journalists gave kudos to the Canadian teams for their lateral passes, because the Canadian teams weren't allowed to block, and like Rugby, laterelled to keep the ball moving.

5, an emphasize on kicking. Canadian football still retains some awesome kicking rules that American football has done away with. Heck this is still FOOTball after all, and American football has almost eliminated all kicking from the game. The kicking rules in Canadian football are not used enough, for one reason in my opinion, because American coaches just don't get it. Did you know, that a simple one yard kick over the line of scrimmage in Canadian football recovered by the kicking team, equals a first down? That could mean the kicker kicking to himself over the line of scrimmage equals a first down. Easier said than done obviously, but it opens up a strategy that coaches would never try in the current game.

There is a number of other things that could be done, or tried. The player that scores the touchdown must be the one to kick the convert. Free kicks instead of penalties. Throw-ins on out of bounds? Yes some of these are from Rugby, but since the whole game is from Rugby, why is that bad?

Again, its just an idea, and I'm not trying to eliminate American players. I'm just trying to create a game that is DIFFERENT ENOUGH, and maybe even a bit more exciting than what we have, to make it a more exclusive game to Canadian football players since Canadian players will be already trained in a game that is unique enough to be nearly only played by them.

doubleblue
05-02-2015, 09:21 PM
The Spring rankings:

<tbody>
Rank
Name
Position
School

1 (--)

Christian Covington
DL
Rice

2 (1)

Brett Boyko
OL
UNLV

3 (2)

Alex Mateas
OL
UCONN

4 (4)

Tyler Varga
RB
Yale

5 (8)

Danny Groulx
OL
Laval

6 (7)

Sukh Chungh
OL
Calgary

7 (3)

Daryl Waud
DL
Western

8 (--)

Lemar Durant
REC
Simon Fraser

9 (5)

Nic Demski
REC
Manitoba

10 (6)

Sean McEwen
OL
Calgary

11 (12)

Chris Ackie
DB
Wilfrid Laurier

12 (9)

Addison Richards
RED
Regina

13 (10)

Jacob Ruby
OL
Richmond

14 (17)

Byron Archambault
LB
Montreal

15 (--)

Tevaughn Campbell
DB
Regina

16 (--)

Shaquille Murray-Lawrence
RB
UNLV

17 (18)

Ese Mrabure-Ajufo
DL
Wilfrid Laurier

18 (19)

Jake Harty
REC
Calgary

19 (--)

Brandon Bridge
QB
South Alabama

20 (11)

Nick Shortill
LB
McMaster

</tbody>

http://www.cfl.ca/article/final-scouting-bureau-rankings-released

Now that we got the rules straightened out maybe we can get back to the original topic. A little surprised that only Covington was the only Canadian drafted and in only the 6th round at that. Boyko, Bridge, Varga and Addison Richards mentioned as prospects that could be FA signings. Nobody else from the top CFL prospect list mentioned that I could find. That doesn't mean some of them won't be signed as we have seen from past years, but I don't think we will see may dropping down the CFL draft list as earlier thought. My thinking is Bridge and Varga will exhaust all NFL avenues before looking to the CFL. The rest might be persuaded to sign up here if drafted in the 1st round and given a healthy signing bonus.

Wobbler
05-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Covington was the only one drafted this weekend, but lots of other guys have been signed and/or been invited to mini-camps:

Tyler Varga: Colts
Brett Boyko: Eagles
Jacob Ruby: Giants
Sukh Chungh: Giants
Sean McEwen: Giants
Byron Archambault: Giants

(As per multiple tweets by Drew Edwards, Farhan Lalji, and Kirk Penton)

ArgoGabe22
05-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I think Brandon Bridge is a little over hyped as the next NFL QB after Jesse Palmer (who wasn't that great either). Wouldn't be surprised to see him converted to receiver.

Argo57
05-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Covington was the only one drafted this weekend, but lots of other guys have been signed and/or been invited to mini-camps:

Tyler Varga: Colts
Brett Boyko: Eagles
Jacob Ruby: Giants
Sukh Chungh: Giants
Sean McEwen: Giants
Byron Archambault: Giants

(As per multiple tweets by Drew Edwards, Farhan Lalji, and Kirk Penton)

Looks like the Giants hell bent on signing every top Canadian OL prospect.
Should be interesting to see the strategies employed in the CFL draft with many of the top guns already signed (actually kind of sucks).

Wobbler
05-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Lemar Durant is also going to the Giants mini-camp. Crazy.

Nevertheless, a lot of those guys aren't going to stick. There will be some interesting calculations to be made, and the best GMs will have the best chance of deducing (or being told) the true level of interest in those players.

Fumblitis
05-03-2015, 01:40 AM
The 2 games may have been invented around the same time, but in reality, Rugby gave birth to both, and while Canadian football retained most of Rugby's rules up until the 30's, American football for many reasons changed rapidly into the game we know before the turn of the century, although the forward pass became legal after the turn of the century in American football. It wasn't until the 30s when Canadian teams started taking on American players that the rules started to change in favour of American rules. Then came the American coaches and GMs and the rules really went towards American football. You do know that in the 30s there was no blocking beyond the line of scrimmage in Canadian football? That is a rule slowly introduced with various changes, that made the Canadian game more like the American one. The forward pass was also introduced in the 30s. At any rate by the 50s, the games became similar enough that better trained American players could fairly easily adapt to the Canadian game. Not unlike North American and European hockey, although I will concede that even today the differences between American and Canadian football are more different than the differences between North American and European hockey. But not even close? That's a stretch.

What would I change? That's an interesting question, something I would have answered much more easily 20+ years ago when I first thought of this. But here's a few suggestions.

1, de-emphasize specialization. That may mean eliminating the platoon system to some degree, where players play both ways, there's no specialized kicker, a QB is just a position, not a special player.

2, I would never eliminate the forward pass, but maybe in some circumstances there can be more than one forward pass on a play? Maybe there can always be a forward pass?

3, De-emphasize the scrimmage. Does there always need to be a scrimmage on a downed player? Rugby league does something interesting on a downed player that is similar to a scrimmage/scrum, but is neither, that keeps the flow of the game going.

4, maybe eliminating some blocking. This may sound crazy, but if you read the American accounts of early games between Canadian and American teams the American journalists gave kudos to the Canadian teams for their lateral passes, because the Canadian teams weren't allowed to block, and like Rugby, laterelled to keep the ball moving.

5, an emphasize on kicking. Canadian football still retains some awesome kicking rules that American football has done away with. Heck this is still FOOTball after all, and American football has almost eliminated all kicking from the game. The kicking rules in Canadian football are not used enough, for one reason in my opinion, because American coaches just don't get it. Did you know, that a simple one yard kick over the line of scrimmage in Canadian football recovered by the kicking team, equals a first down? That could mean the kicker kicking to himself over the line of scrimmage equals a first down. Easier said than done obviously, but it opens up a strategy that coaches would never try in the current game.

There is a number of other things that could be done, or tried. The player that scores the touchdown must be the one to kick the convert. Free kicks instead of penalties. Throw-ins on out of bounds? Yes some of these are from Rugby, but since the whole game is from Rugby, why is that bad?

Again, its just an idea, and I'm not trying to eliminate American players. I'm just trying to create a game that is DIFFERENT ENOUGH, and maybe even a bit more exciting than what we have, to make it a more exclusive game to Canadian football players since Canadian players will be already trained in a game that is unique enough to be nearly only played by them.Good post! You're ideas about the kicking game are intriguing. How many rules are currently in the rule book that don't get used? I think back to the Rider/Redblack game last year with the onside kick for a touchdown. I had to check the rule book for that play just to figure out what the hell happened. How many other obscure rules are kicking around the rule book?

ArgoRavi
05-03-2015, 02:52 AM
I think Brandon Bridge is a little over hyped as the next NFL QB after Jesse Palmer (who wasn't that great either). Wouldn't be surprised to see him converted to receiver.

Looking at Bridge's stats and the scouting reports, he seems like a poor man's Michael Bishop. He would appear to be a longshot to have much of a pro career as a QB anywhere.

doubleblue
05-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Looks like the Giants hell bent on signing every top Canadian OL prospect.
Should be interesting to see the strategies employed in the CFL draft with many of the top guns already signed (actually kind of sucks).

Going to be a bummer watching draft day May 12th knowing most of the 1st round and maybe some second round players are in NFL camps. Durant is also going to the Giants camp. Wouldn't be surprised it Demski, Waud, Mateas, Groulx get invites as well. I believe Barker will have a good idea who will get past the mini camps down there. We can remember Sewell going to the Titans mini camp a couple of years ago and JB still picked him #1. The CFL changed the draft rules last year to elimiate the "futures" rule, but this year it may be still in effect in a way.

Wobbler
05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Waud is going to both the NYG and Washington mini-camps and Mateas is attending the NYJ camp.

jerrym
05-03-2015, 01:54 PM
With Ruby, Chungh, McEven, all OL, as well as Waud and Durant all going to NYG camp, the odds of more than one of these OL especially making it much further are pretty low, so it could be worth taking a risk a high draft choice on one of them and maybe a second one if still available, if Barker and Milanovich thinks highly of them.

Argo57
05-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Looking at Bridge's stats and the scouting reports, he seems like a poor man's Michael Bishop. He would appear to be a longshot to have much of a pro career as a QB anywhere.

Scary, the original Michael Bishop was pretty frustrating to watch.

OV Argo
05-03-2015, 09:54 PM

While another report I heard compared his QB skill-set to Colin Kapernick - you know, the staring QB for the 49ers.

He might be an NFL longshot; any other football leagues interested in name NCAA QB prospects who are rating some sort of NFL look? I wonder how many current CFL roster QBs even made the top 20 for NFL QB prospects in their draft year?

Ravi - you should help the good ole boys draft some sort of written explanation why Bridge (or Yantz or Cousineau) from this year's crop of Canadian QB available for the CFL draft should be totally written-off for even a CFL try-out; so we can see instead more of Josh Neiswander, Justin Goltz, Seth Doege-dog, etc, etc. types continue to get CFL try-outs and make rosters there. ;o)

ArgoRavi
05-04-2015, 12:12 AM
While another report I heard compared his QB skill-set to Colin Kapernick - you know, the staring QB for the 49ers.

He might be an NFL longshot; any other football leagues interested in name NCAA QB prospects who are rating some sort of NFL look? I wonder how many current CFL roster QBs even made the top 20 for NFL QB prospects in their draft year?

Ravi - you should help the good ole boys draft some sort of written explanation why Bridge (or Yantz or Cousineau) from this year's crop of Canadian QB available for the CFL draft should be totally written-off for even a CFL try-out; so we can see instead more of Josh Neiswander, Justin Goltz, Seth Doege-dog, etc, etc. types continue to get CFL try-outs and make rosters there. ;o)

If Bridge were an import, I would be interested in hearing what you would say about him, OV. His college stats really aren't impressive. He has a good arm and good size which is why I make the comparison to Bishop but Bishop was a much better college QB than Bridge has been.

OV Argo
05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
If Bridge were an import, I would be interested in hearing what you would say about him, OV. His college stats really aren't impressive. He has a good arm and good size which is why I make the comparison to Bishop but Bishop was a much better college QB than Bridge has been.

Difference might be - I heard of Bridge some time ago and tracked his career a bit in college ball and also saw him play in a Bowl game last year - you ever seen him play?

I was quite impressed with Trevor Harris' resume coming out of college ball - even though it was from Div II ball - great passing stats and some accolades; but I still need to see a player actually play football before I decide if he is a good or decent player - sorry, not big on buying hype or reports from the media and other football experts as the main thing to go by. Now that I've seen Harris play a bit in the CFL I think he is a pretty good QB talent who could evolve into a CFL starter - we shall see. As far as Bridge - I get a kick out of those trying to find reasons to dismiss him because they have been taught / sold the CFL bill of goods that Canadian QBs aren't "good enough"; more like: if he were an import QB - who is 6-5, has a rocket arm, is mobile & a running threat, from a Div I program - there would be all sorts of CFL fans all over saying what an intriguing prospect for the CFL this guys is. rather than some of the lame attempts to get on board with the good ole boys and dismiss the guy, that I've seen.

gilthethrill
05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Going to be a bummer watching draft day May 12th knowing most of the 1st round and maybe some second round players are in NFL camps. Durant is also going to the Giants camp. Wouldn't be surprised it Demski, Waud, Mateas, Groulx get invites as well. I believe Barker will have a good idea who will get past the mini camps down there. We can remember Sewell going to the Titans mini camp a couple of years ago and JB still picked him #1. The CFL changed the draft rules last year to elimiate the "futures" rule, but this year it may be still in effect in a way.

Do we know when these NFL mini camps start? If they start before the draft, several of these players may be already been sent home without an invite to main camp. Pretty surprised Groulx did not get invited or sign a a FA.

Argocister
05-04-2015, 11:20 PM
So did anyone put in a vote for the fan based mock draft?

I put in Demski for the Argos .... I figured some of the OL s will be available later as their "stock will drop" with the interest from the NFL.

http://cfl.ca/article/cflca-fan-mock-draft

Argocister
05-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Interesting to see that the fan based mock draft got the Argos Groulx..... But more interesting was the distribution of votes....very even for the variety of draft choices ..... Either we need everything or we can't make up our minds.

gilthethrill
05-06-2015, 06:52 AM
So did anyone put in a vote for the fan based mock draft?

I put in Demski for the Argos .... I figured some of the OL s will be available later as their "stock will drop" with the interest from the NFL.

The Giants mini camp for rookies will be held on Friday & Saturday. Expect a few of the CFL draft eligable linemen that are competing to be unsigned & ready to start a CFL career. Demski will most likely go to Winnipeg at #2 overall.

As Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart use to say...."Take it to the bank baby"!!!!!

argos1873
05-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Good post! You're ideas about the kicking game are intriguing. How many rules are currently in the rule book that don't get used? I think back to the Rider/Redblack game last year with the onside kick for a touchdown. I had to check the rule book for that play just to figure out what the hell happened. How many other obscure rules are kicking around the rule book?

I think most of the obscure rules that still exist are related to the kicking game, and more specifically onside kicking. Most other differnting rules have long ago been stripped out. But our rarely used kicking rules that are now obscure, are only obscure because they are no longer used. Why is that? Because most of the administration of our game comes from American coaches and GMs. The rules would not be obscure if the game evolved in a vacuum of no American influence. The entire game itself would look entirely different than it does now. And I'm not implying that the way it is now is at all a bad thing. Although I must admit I would prefer a slightly more wide open game than we have, and glad our game IS still more wide open than our brother game in the US. But enough of this threadjack and pipe dream, back to draft talk. Just imagine how much better the CFL would be if it could capture ALL of this great home grown talent that is coming up the pipeline.

Wobbler
05-06-2015, 10:19 PM
I think we should seriously consider any offers for #3; if someone is prepared to overpay a little, I'd be happy to trade down and collect some extra picks. The depth of this draft has been mentioned over and over again, and I don't really see an *obvious* choice for us at #3. At least not yet.

KCargosfan
05-06-2015, 10:41 PM
I'd like to see us take RB Dillon Johnson and WR Melvin Abankwah in the middle rounds. Any thoughts on those guys from anyone? Anybody see them play in person?

doubleblue
05-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I'd like to see us take RB Dillon Johnson and WR Melvin Abankwah in the middle rounds. Any thoughts on those guys from anyone? Anybody see them play in person?

You must mean RB Dillon Campbell 5'8 195 out of Wilfred Laurier University and from right here in Whitby, On. Good tough little runner might still be available in the 3rd or 4th. Abankwah stock went up IMO after the combine, he might not make it past the 2nd round. Small quick and fast receiver. Nobody could cover him at the combine.

Wobbler
05-07-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised that Justin Dunk released his final mock draft this early - before the NFL minicamps this weekend - but FWIW, he has us selecting Alex Mateas at #3 (http://argonauts.ca/article/syndicated/467827/justin-dunks-final-2015-mock-draft). Mateas would certainly be a great asset, since he could probably start right away at guard and be our center of the future, but things should be a lot clearer on Monday when we find out which of the top rated guys get NFL contracts.

OV Argo
05-07-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised that Justin Dunk released his final mock draft this early - before the NFL minicamps this weekend - but FWIW, he has us selecting Alex Mateas at #3 (http://argonauts.ca/article/syndicated/467827/justin-dunks-final-2015-mock-draft). Mateas would certainly be a great asset, since he could probably start right away at guard and be our center of the future, but things should be a lot clearer on Monday when we find out which of the top rated guys get NFL contracts.

Yeah - NFL status for a lot of the top CFL draft prospects could still be up in the air by CFL draft day.

I'd be quite a bit surprised if Ottawa takes Groulx over Mateas - both are local guys but Mateas is a natural C whereas Groulx is an OT and i'll bet the Ottawa thinkers have imports pencilled in at both OT spots.

Still - both are top notch O-line prospects; and if NFL flight risk was not a concern, rather see the Argos take McEwen or Chung over Mateas.

Bombers need the O-line help too, but they need lots of help - Archambault at MLB or one of the top receivers would fit for them as well.

Lemar Durant falling to the Stamps as last pick in the first round would be nice for them - and really stupid of some other CFL teams.

Wobbler
05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Abankwah tested positive for methandienone at the combine (http://3downnation.com/2015/05/07/exclusive-five-players-test-positive-for-performance-enhancing-drugs-at-cfl-combines/), which is cause for concern...

ArgoRavi
05-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Abankwah tested positive for methandienone at the combine (http://3downnation.com/2015/05/07/exclusive-five-players-test-positive-for-performance-enhancing-drugs-at-cfl-combines/), which is cause for concern...

That four players from St. Mary's tested positive does not look good on their program.

Mookie Fan
05-07-2015, 10:42 PM
You must mean RB Dillon Campbell 5'8 195 out of Wilfred Laurier University and from right here in Whitby, On. Good tough little runner might still be available in the 3rd or 4th. Abankwah stock went up IMO after the combine, he might not make it past the 2nd round. Small quick and fast receiver. Nobody could cover him at the combine.

Yeah there was a video of the Argonaut staff interviewing Dillon Campbell on CFL.CA. He came across pretty well. I would be happy to see the Argos draft him. I think after losing Anthony Woodson in free agency we could really use at least one RB somewhere in the draft. Because we have so many RBs on our team that aren't that big, I have been hoping we end up drafting a RB with a bit more size...but I wouldn't be unhappy to see the Argonauts draft Campbell if that is who ends up being available at the right time in the draft.

OV Argo
05-07-2015, 11:29 PM

Abankwah was a RB in college ball who did little as a receiver; that his stock shot up so much because he was supposedly "uncoverable" in some limited touch football type passing drills is very questionable IMO - not sure which pro scouts would rate him that high this draft? - he is IMO not close to the top 3 receivers this draft (Durant, Richards, Denmski) and probably well behind some other receivers there - like Davidson, Norzil, Pospichill or Harty - at least if you go by college ball play where they were excellent receivers who put up reception stats; as opposed to limited Combine drills; and it's not like Abankwah blew away other receiver prospects with his testing #s either.

Dillon Campbell just had an outstanding CIS season as a tailback; but not sure that means there will be much CFL interest. I got a chuckle out of some CFL commentators saying there was a big break-through for Canadian tailbacks in the league a few years ago when Cornish, Messam and Andrew Harris all emerged as very good CFL RBs when they got the shot; since then, there have been probably around 30 some import RBs who have been given significant CFL opportunity - starts, lots of carries in a game; and aside from the 3 Canadian guys I mentioned, the only other Canadian RB to be given a decent shot at playing time is Cornish's back-up Matt Walter (who is a good one and should or could be starting on another CFL team) = still an American preferred position in the good ole CFL; just like DE, D-backfield (outside of safety), OLB, and of course QB - where NIs need not apply.

Wobbler
05-08-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the info regarding Abankwah and the "second tier" (my words) 2015 receivers, OV. I didn't know that MA was a RB, and I agree that his combine performance should be considered in context.

ArgoGabe22
05-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Abankwah is one of a few CIS players who tested positive at the combine.

KCargosfan
05-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Campbell, my bad. So would Campbell be worth a 3rd round pick with maybe gambling on Abankwah in the 6th or 7th, with the provision that he take a drug test before rookie camp (if that is allowed?)?

Also, perhaps the St. Mary's coaching staff had Abankwah in the wrong position? Who knows?

OV Argo
05-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Campbell, my bad. So would Campbell be worth a 3rd round pick with maybe gambling on Abankwah in the 6th or 7th, with the provision that he take a drug test before rookie camp (if that is allowed?)?

Also, perhaps the St. Mary's coaching staff had Abankwah in the wrong position? Who knows?

Maybe Abankwah - who drew those raves catching passes at the Combine - could make the transition to receiver like Durie did for the CFL; however - while Abankwah was a decent RB in college ball, Durie was off the charts outstanding as a tailback there, racking up huge yardage and showing amazing RB skills that had some thinking he would be going to the NFL before his horrible injury.

And besides, the Argos drafted Coombs last year who it seems is a Durie understudy - another converted RB to the hybrid slot/RB position the Argos use - how many of those guys do they need ? Rather see them draft a big target, natural downfield pattern receiver - Lemar Durant or Addison Richards for example.

AngeloV
05-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Rather see them draft a big target, natural downfield pattern receiver - Lemar Durant or Addison Richards for example.

I would prefer that too.

gilthethrill
05-09-2015, 06:22 PM
I would prefer that too.

Could Matthew Norzill fit that bill in the later rounds?

Wobbler
05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting that we would draft someone like Abankwah over Richards (let alone Durant). But in the later rounds, as KC suggested, why not?

If we keep our current picks, my preference would be OL at #3, the best available DL or WR at #12 and #21, and the BPA after that. If we end up with Groulx, Richards, and Forde I'll be pretty happy.

OV Argo
05-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Could Matthew Norzill fit that bill in the later rounds?

Yeah - him or Jake Harty or maybe Enchill (Montreal) - all with good size - in the mid to later rounds. Pospichil out of SFU put up great career reception stats there - but a smaller receiver - maybe another Andre Talbot type

And WTF is up with Psczonzak from last year's draft not being signed for TC yet ? - maybe he bombed in TC last year? - guy has very good CIS receiver production to go with some excellent testing #s at last year's Combine. Written off already ?

gilthethrill
05-10-2015, 10:37 AM
I went on NY Giants twitter (the NFL team with 10 CFL draft eligable players in mini camp this weekend), the only players mentioned were Durant & Richards, both made nice catches...I guess any contract signings will be announced tonight or tomorrow?

Wobbler
05-10-2015, 11:12 AM
The Giants have signed a couple of their tryouts so far (http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/5/10/8580411/new-york-giants-rookie-mini-camp-matt-lacosse-geremy-davis-ereck-flowers-will-tye-stony-brook), but not any of the interesting ones...

Wobbler
05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">None of the 12 Canadians attending the Giants rookie minicamp has been offered a contract. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CIS?src=hash">#CIS</a></p>&mdash; Didier Orméjuste (@DidierRDS) <a href="https://twitter.com/DidierRDS/status/597432187558961152">May 10, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
05-10-2015, 03:59 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Had a blast competing in Cleveland! Not the outcome I wanted.. But now anticipating May 12 that much more! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFLDraft?src=hash">#CFLDraft</a></p>&mdash; Nic Demski (@Demski9) <a href="https://twitter.com/Demski9/status/597446254994595843">May 10, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wobbler
05-10-2015, 07:57 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No contract offer for OL Alex Mateas from the New York Jets. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Kirk Penton (@PentonKirk) <a href="https://twitter.com/PentonKirk/status/597543136559149056">May 10, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that's everyone, isn't it? Oh wait, I haven't heard about Maxx Forde, who was at the Bears minicamp.

doubleblue
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
So now I think Ottawa will take OC Mateas first overall. Gott can slide over to Left Guard with Mateas taking over at Center, if he is ready.
Winnipeg and Toronto will take either OG Chungh or OT Groulx IMO. The Argo taking which ever one Winnipeg doesn't.
Montreal tales DL Daryl Waud.
B.C. takes OC McEwen from Calgary.
Saskchewan takes WR Richards.
Edmonton takes OT Ruby from Richmond.
Hamilton takes OL Lavoie from Laval.
Calgary takes WR Durant from Simon Fraser.

OV Argo
05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
So now I think Ottawa will take OC Mateas first overall. Gott can slide over to Left Guard with Mateas taking over at Center, if he is ready.
Winnipeg and Toronto will take either OG Chungh or OT Groulx IMO. The Argo taking which ever one Winnipeg doesn't.
Montreal tales DL Daryl Waud.
B.C. takes OC McEwen from Calgary.
Saskchewan takes WR Richards.
Edmonton takes OT Ruby from Richmond.
Hamilton takes OL Lavoie from Laval.
Calgary takes WR Durant from Simon Fraser.

Those picks make sense for the most part (other than Durant could go to any of those teams outside Ottawa and that would make sense, and my bet he is more of an impact CFL player than most of those other guys). Not sure Hamilton will like Lavoie in the first round, but agreed they could use O-line help.

The NFL mini-camp news of none of these Canadian guys getting signed is huge for the CFL draft (i heard Bridge did not get a contract; haven't heard about Varga or Boyko yet ?) - and be great to see a whole bunch of these guys show-up and play in the CFL right away - a deep draft year and a strong influx of NI talent - we shall see which players do well AND which teams make sharp picks. And if it looks like Varga and Boyko are getting no NFL contracts - both those guys should be CFL 1st rounder; Boyko was the #1 rated prospect and might be (not for sure though) the best O-line talent this draft; Varga is probably the best Canadian RB out of college ball since Cornish (and Lumsden a few years before).

Wobbler
05-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Drew Edwards has reported that Hamilton is trying to move up in the draft to get one of the top OL. As I said before, trading down could be quite appealing depending on the offer.

OV Argo
05-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Drew Edwards has reported that Hamilton is trying to move up in the draft to get one of the top OL. As I said before, trading down could be quite appealing depending on the offer.

And the Ticats have a large number of NI DTs on their roster (even with Gaydosh out for the year) - Bulcke & Laurent are proven starters; Atkinson and Hazime have played some in the CFL, and they have 2 NI DTs from last year's draft who could be on their roster (?) = a position of strength to deal from (though not near as strong as before Gaydosh got injured); some CFL team that might be entertaining playing a NI DT could swing a deal that sees them swapping a draft position with the Ticats but getting a promising or experienced NI DT thrown in.

I hope the Argos hold on to all their picks and do not give any away because they are all ga ga / gung-ho / must have a certain player in the draft and they are buffaloed into believing trading up is the only way (i believe that is what happened last year to get Coombs?)

doubleblue
05-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Those picks make sense for the most part (other than Durant could go to any of those teams outside Ottawa and that would make sense, and my bet he is more of an impact CFL player than most of those other guys). Not sure Hamilton will like Lavoie in the first round, but agreed they could use O-line help.

The NFL mini-camp news of none of these Canadian guys getting signed is huge for the CFL draft (i heard Bridge did not get a contract; haven't heard about Varga or Boyko yet ?) - and be great to see a whole bunch of these guys show-up and play in the CFL right away - a deep draft year and a strong influx of NI talent - we shall see which players do well AND which teams make sharp picks. And if it looks like Varga and Boyko are getting no NFL contracts - both those guys should be CFL 1st rounder; Boyko was the #1 rated prospect and might be (not for sure though) the best O-line talent this draft; Varga is probably the best Canadian RB out of college ball since Cornish (and Lumsden a few years before).

Boyko and Varga both signed free agent contracts with the Eagles and Colts respectively. I thought Bridge signed with Dallas, but maybe it was just a mini cap invite. The first two guys won't be available until September at the earliest so I think they will slide down a couple of rounds although Calgary could take a chance knowing they don't need Canadians right away.

gilthethrill
05-10-2015, 09:45 PM

OV, I think Varga and Boyko already have FA contracts going into mini camp. They should both be heading to TC. I think Winnipeg will take Demski at #2 btw.

jerrym
05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
The following article from the Vancouver Sun discusses the CFL draft (with a local emphasis on Lemar Durant) and the quality of CIS players:

This year, the three top-ranked receivers in the CFL draft — Durant, Manitoba’s Nic Demski and Regina’s Addison Richards — received invites to NFL rookie camps the week before the Canadian draft lottery. Demski put in workouts with the Cleveland Browns. Durant and Richards got opportunities courtesy of the Giants.“It says a lot about the expanded rosters (NFL off-season rosters went from 80 to 90 players in 2012), but it also says something about the level of training and preparation kids have in the CIS these days,” says Jim Mullin, the voice of Canadian college football on Shaw TV. “These kids train 12 months a year, like the kids in the States. There’s no off-season anymore.”
Three Canadians who played NCAA football last season — Rice defensive tackle Christian Covington, Yale running back Tyler Varga and Brett Boyko, an offensive lineman from Nevada-Las Vegas — likely will become radioactive in the CFL draft.
Covington, the No. 1-ranked player from Canada, was selected in the sixth round (216th overall) of the NFL draft on May 2 and will be given every chance to make the Houston Texans. He could tumble into the later rounds of the CFL draft, simply because the odds of him showing up to play in Canada are more limited now.
“I think Christian becomes a fourth- or fifth-round pick,” says Kent Ridley of Ridley Scouting. “He truly is a futures pick (in the CFL draft). I think his chances with Houston are pretty good.”

With regard to Durant it comments:

The first thing you notice about Lemar Durant: he looks like someone who could play in the National Football League.Good length (6-2), stability (230 pounds), fluidity (4.55-second 40-yard dash) and ferocity (he comes down with contested throws), Durant is an athlete who attracts attention on both sides of the border.
Ranked as the No. 8 prospect in Tuesday’s Canadian Football League draft, the wide receiver from Simon Fraser University checks off a number of boxes for teams looking for a long-term answer, even though he didn’t dazzle at the CFL combine in a couple of areas. His performance at getting separation in one-on-one coverage was middling. And he tends to lose focus occasionally, which might explain the former.
Still, videotape doesn’t lie. The New York Giants were intrigued enough by the possibilities to invite him to a three-day rookie camp, which ended Sunday at their training facility in New Jersey, a circumstance which has thrown CFL selectors into something of a quandary.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/draft+picks+including+Lemar+Durant+noticed/11045177/story.html

jerrym
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Argos' phones active with trade talk as Barker reports that his phone is ringing non-stop.
Argos GM Jim Barker talks what kind of deal would get them to trade down in the draft, what type of player they are looking for in the draft, Ricky Ray's status and more.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/argos-phones-active-with-trade-talk-1.280480

Fumblitis
05-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Boyko and Varga both signed free agent contracts with the Eagles and Colts respectively. I thought Bridge signed with Dallas, but maybe it was just a mini cap invite. The first two guys won't be available until September at the earliest so I think they will slide down a couple of rounds although Calgary could take a chance knowing they don't need Canadians right away.No the Cowboys didn't offer Bridge a contract.

doubleblue
05-11-2015, 07:53 PM
No the Cowboys didn't offer Bridge a contract.

Kind of a quick fall for Bridge. Some People were touting him as a sure fire late round draft pick and if not a Free Agent signing for sure. He still has all the tools IMO but what the real Scouts were saying things such as "not accurate", "throws off balance", "not a great touch on the Ball" etc. came back to bite him at the NFL workouts. I would like to see one of the CFL teams that are a little light on talent on the back end bring him in and work with him for a couple of years as their 3rd or 4th guy and he might turn out to be pretty good. Saskatchewan ?, BC ? or Ottawa?

Fumblitis
05-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Kind of a quick fall for Bridge. Some People were touting him as a sure fire late round draft pick and if not a Free Agent signing for sure. He still has all the tools IMO but what the real Scouts were saying things such as "not accurate", "throws off balance", "not a great touch on the Ball" etc. came back to bite him at the NFL workouts. I would like to see one of the CFL teams that are a little light on talent on the back end bring him in and work with him for a couple of years as their 3rd or 4th guy and he might turn out to be pretty good. Saskatchewan ?, BC ? or Ottawa?Yup the Riders are pretty thin in terms of QB depth IMO. But I can't see Bridge just throwing the towel in on his NFL aspirations just yet.

AngeloV
05-11-2015, 09:57 PM
I would like to see one of the CFL teams that are a little light on talent on the back end bring him in and work with him for a couple of years as their 3rd or 4th guy and he might turn out to be pretty good. Saskatchewan ?, BC ? or Ottawa?

I would like to see that too. If your going to invest 3 or 4 years in a QB that isn't ready yet, why not a Canadian?

jerrym
05-12-2015, 09:43 AM
This Toronto Star article talks about what holes the Argos need to fill.

Offensive line
Many of the so-called “hogs” on the offensive line are at the tail ends of their careers and they are now high-priced, so look for general manager Jim Barker (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/04/19/argos-jim-barker-touts-next-generation-of-executives.html) to draft some youth to feed the pipeline. Backup OL Wayne Smith is 35, centre Jeff Keeping is 32 and right tackle Chris Van Zeyl is 31. The Argos also lost starting OL SirVincent Rogers to Ottawa in free agency.

Top OL prospects: The top-rated offensive linemen are Brett Boyko (UNLV), Alex Mateas (UConn), Danny Groulx (Laval) and Sukh Chungh (Calgary).

<iframe id="fsk_frame_splitbox_27" name="fsk_frame_splitbox_27" src="http://sb.freeskreen.com/splitbox/client?pid=52&sid=&confId=27&a=1430367940%7C3%7C1430367861%7C3%7C1&trackerId=L3bVhW5R2sOScwGgC248WdHF90KHJo&uts=8c86da76-4f13-4938-a962-e4896b42645f&flc=sports&slc=argos&maxWidth=542&vs=221%3D1430367861%7C2%3B220%3D1426230204%7C1%3B&pos=1198%3B4192#fsk_splitbox" frameborder="0" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; width: 542px; height: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; "></iframe>
Wide Receiver

The Argos could use another Canadian wide receiver to replace Spencer Watt, who was lost to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in free agency. The Argos like to have Canadians at slotback or wide receiver and have gotten good use of Andre Durie, Mike Bradwell and Anthony Coombs. If they feel second-year player Natey Adjei is ready to step into a starting role, the Argos may stay away from drafting a receiver.

Top WR prospects: Lemar Durant (Simon Fraser) and Nic Demski (Manitoba). Both have received interest from the NFL, but have yet to sign contracts.

Defensive line

The Argos reacquired Canadian defensive end Ricky Foley from the Saskatchewan Roughriders. But depth is a problem on the defensive line. If Cleyon Laing goes down with an injury — he was injured for a good part of last season — the Argos have no Canadian backups on the defensive line. If they don’t draft a defensive lineman, the Argos would then be locked into playing Americans at the backup positions.

Top DL prospects: Daryl Waud (Western), Ese Mrabure-Ajufo (Wilfrid Laurier) and Christian Covington (Rice).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/05/11/argos-have-holes-to-fill-at-cfl-draft.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

gilthethrill
05-12-2015, 10:21 AM
If Barker does go with the best player available route, I think Durant will be drafted at #3 and become the newest member of the Argonauts Football Club.

doubleblue
05-12-2015, 12:20 PM
IMO Barker will pick one of Mateas, Chungh or Groulx with the 3rd overall. One of the top three receivers Durant, Demski or Richards would be nice but the O Line is deemed a "National" position now a days. Just easier to teach big bodied players to pass block and leave the "skill" positions to the Imports from which they are many to choose from.

Fumblitis
05-12-2015, 12:21 PM
If Barker does go with the best player available route, I think Durant will be drafted at #3 and become the newest member of the Argonauts Football Club.Do you think Demski will be gone by the time the Argos are on the clock? He's apparently the most polished receiver and there is some speculation that the Bummers will take a hog at #2.

gilthethrill
05-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Do you think Demski will be gone by the time the Argos are on the clock? He's apparently the most polished receiver and there is some speculation that the Bummers will take a hog at #2.

Yes sir, I see Demski going to Winnipeg at #2..Bombers addressed Oline with FA Stanley Bryant and Dline with FA Westerman. Watch the draft and witness all my predictions go down the toilet.....

Wobbler
05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
It seems like there might be a run on OL in the first round. I think even the teams that have other priorities will worry about missing out on one of the top guys. Whether we take one of them or trade down, we are in a very enviable position.

jerrym
05-12-2015, 03:55 PM
If Barker does go with the best player available route, I think Durant will be drafted at #3 and become the newest member of the Argonauts Football Club.

There are some questions about Durant - that's why he's ranked no. 8. Aside from not standing out at the combines in all areas, his loss of focus at times during his career raises questions about his mental toughness and/or possibly some degree of attention deficit disorder. In view of these concerns, the Argos need for OL and the number of top-ranked OL available, I think they will pick a OL first.

The first thing you notice about Lemar Durant: he looks like someone who could play in the National Football League.Good length (6-2), stability (230 pounds), fluidity (4.55-second 40-yard dash) and ferocity (he comes down with contested throws), Durant is an athlete who attracts attention on both sides of the border.
Ranked as the No. 8 prospect in Tuesday’s Canadian Football League draft, the wide receiver from Simon Fraser University checks off a number of boxes for teams looking for a long-term answer, even though he didn’t dazzle at the CFL combine in a couple of areas. His performance at getting separation in one-on-one coverage was middling. And he tends to lose focus occasionally, which might explain the former.
Still, videotape doesn’t lie.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/d...177/story.html

(http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/draft+picks+including+Lemar+Durant+noticed/11045177/story.html)

ArgoRavi
05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
I will be surprised if Barker does not pick an offensive lineman with his first pick.

Wobbler
05-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Hamilton has addressed their interest in an OL by acquiring Bomben. I take that as evidence that we're in no hurry to unload the #3 pick.

Wobbler
05-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Yes sir, I see Demski going to Winnipeg at #2..Bombers addressed Oline with FA Stanley Bryant and Dline with FA Westerman. Watch the draft and witness all my predictions go down the toilet.....
Indeed. It was a brave prediction, though!

gilthethrill
05-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Indeed. It was a brave prediction, though!

Sigh.....perhaps McEwen has agreed to join the Argos instead of going back to UofC????

Wobbler
05-12-2015, 08:40 PM
We wouldn't have picked him unless we were very certain that he'd play for us soon.

Will
05-13-2015, 10:40 AM
We wouldn't have picked him unless we were very certain that he'd play for us soon.

Plenty of Argo draft picks have taken their time before arriving with the team though.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8