View Full Version : Who will start at left tackle in 2015?

Wobbler
02-04-2015, 10:55 PM
It's starting to seem as though SirVincent Rogers, our starting LT for all of 2014, will enter free agency next week. Fortunately we have no shortage of options at that position, including bringing him back.

What is your prediction?

OV Argo
02-04-2015, 11:10 PM
It's starting to seem as though SirVincent Rogers, our starting LT for all of 2014, will enter free agency next week. Fortunately we have no shortage of options at that position, including bringing him back.

What is your prediction?

IF Rogers leaves - yep, lots of options; said it a few times before here - IMO King was outstanding at OT as a rookie for the Argos = better than Rogers and not sure why he bounced around the O-line last year rather than progressing to be a dominant fixture at OT? Sewell still has potential IMO; and Mitchell was a proven starting OT in US college ball (playing mostly left tackle), as was Tyler Holmes; and somebody predicted the Argos could draft Jacob Ruby - a starting OT at Richmond in Div I ball; don't know much about Braxton (his bio says he played right tackle in US college ball); but i believe an import will easily be favored to hold down the spot.

ArgoRavi
02-05-2015, 12:25 AM
IF Rogers leaves - yep, lots of options; said it a few times before here - IMO King was outstanding at OT as a rookie for the Argos = better than Rogers and not sure why he bounced around the O-line last year rather than progressing to be a dominant fixture at OT? Sewell still has potential IMO; and Mitchell was a proven starting OT in US college ball (playing mostly left tackle), as was Tyler Holmes; and somebody predicted the Argos could draft Jacob Ruby - a starting OT at Richmond in Div I ball; don't know much about Braxton (his bio says he played right tackle in US college ball); but i believe an import will easily be favored to hold down the spot.

Barker has always said that his dream would be to start 5 non-imports on the offensive line but I don't think that the Argos are in position to do that yet. It would be great to see Sewell really step up this season and take that left tackle spot but he will have to improve considerably given the struggles that we saw out of him when he played there last year. In fairness to Sewell though, he had one start against John Chick and more than a few veteran left tackles have struggled against Chick over the years.

doubleblue
02-05-2015, 04:20 AM
IMO because of the importance of protecting Ricky Ray the Left Tackle can't be just some guy named Joe Who. That's why I don't think a young inexperienced player like Sewell or Mitchell or Ruby (if they do in fact draft him) will be handed the LT spot. Rogers would seem the most logical choice if they can come to an agreement. Maybe he is still fishing around the NFL for a tryout. I would think King or Holmes would get the first shot unless Barker goes off script and can bring in a veteran like Stanley Bryant from Calgary, a free agent all star.

R.J
02-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Would love to see Sewell start, however if he's not ready there's no point in forcing him in at left tackle. So I suppose "Plan A/B" would be starting King or Rogers (if a deal gets done), although IMO King has looked better than Rogers at times.

ArgoRavi
02-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Would love to see Sewell start, however if he's not ready there's no point in forcing him in at left tackle. So I suppose "Plan A/B" would be starting King or Rogers (if a deal gets done), although IMO King has looked better than Rogers at times.

I thought that King looked better than Rogers in 2013 when King was playing at right tackle but Rogers seemed to surpass him last year when King mostly played right guard. BTW, an interesting stat that I saw recently was that the Argos' offensive line gave up the third fewest sacks in the league last season.

paulwoods13
02-08-2015, 08:08 AM
King was really good in 2013 and Rogers was mostly solid in 2014. There's no reason both guys can't continue to develop into capable, and potentially all-star-calibre, players with Himebauch coaching. With them plus Holmes, VZ and Keeping, I'm not worried about out starters. We need more depth, tho -- at this point Sewell and Dhillon are probably the next two guys on the depth chart, and neither has played much (or at all in Dhillon's case). As I've said before, Mitchell seems serviceable but that's it, and Smith is nearing the end.

jerrym
02-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Smith is nearing the end.
If the Argos do add some depth, I wonder if Smith even makes it out of training camp.

doubleblue
02-08-2015, 03:39 PM

IMO Sewell is more of a RT and could be groomed to eventually replace Van Zeyl. I would think he will be the #1 backup there while he learns the pro game. We have to remember he hasn't played much since 2012. The 2013 year he missed much of the year with injuries and then last year was a "getting his feet wet year". Still don't know the reasoning of starting him that game against John Chick at LT. Not exactly a confidence builder and Ricky could have been injured, but Sewell didn't quite look like a pylon either. Its just that he probably saw some moves and quickness he hadn't faced before. I always thought spot duty later in a game when winning big or losing big was a good time to give rookie OT's some playing time to start. I hope he can eventually start and have a long career somewhere on the Offensive Line. The NFL had a quick look at him and apparently didn't think he was ready. Some of these big tall guys seem to take a little longer to perfect the pass blocking required in the CFL. Joel Reinders seems to be another case of slow developing. I remember Chris Walby and Miles Gorrell didn't exactly set the world on fire their first years in the league but both turned out ok in long run.

Wobbler
02-08-2015, 04:18 PM
IMO Sewell is more of a RT and could be groomed to eventually replace Van Zeyl.
Sewell has only ever played LT, I think. Are you projecting him as a RT based on talent level?

I hope we're very patient with him, and stick with the (apparent) plan to ease him in at LT.

OV Argo
02-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Sewell has only ever played LT, I think. Are you projecting him as a RT based on talent level?

I hope we're very patient with him, and stick with the (apparent) plan to ease him in at LT.

I believe the thought process there is that left tackle is more important to protect a right handed QBs blind-side, AND that import OTs are somehow inherently superior to Canadian ones, so LT becomes a pencilled-in good ole import only position to a lot of, goo, er, CFL thinkers. Cept that a lot of teams have employed average to mediocre to poor American left tackles (see Winnipeg or Edmonton or Hamilton lately) and Montreal has the best pair of OTs, IMO, in the league and they happen to be NIs.

I just hope Sewell can progress and improve and contribute to the Argo O-line - wether at left or right tackle or guard maybe; and maybe Heimbauch is a real good O-line coach who can help Sewell or evaluate & deploy him properly or where he could be a fit. And if he doesn't pan out - that happens plenty in pro ball, so another young O-lineman may be picked-up in the draft - maybe even this coming one.

OV Argo
02-10-2015, 06:28 PM
We can scratch Rogers (FA to Ottawa) and now Scott Mitchell (released ?) too.

Mitchell just didn't pan-out as a CFL O-lineman i guess after being a top prospect / draft pick with a nice Div. I resume.

gilthethrill
02-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I hope a FA camp can uncover a Mike Pearson. He looked like he was going to be a fixture at LT until that gruesome injury in the 2007 season finale in Regina.

Wobbler
02-10-2015, 10:26 PM
We just released the enigmatic Scott Mitchell, so he (like Rogers) is no longer a candidate.

For the moment we're a bit thin on the OL. I'm sure that the draft will help to address that, so it's hardly a concern, but I had thought that Mitchell would be a useful backup.

gilthethrill
02-11-2015, 07:37 AM
I think AV expressed concern at LG with Wayne Smith there right now & I agree. I wonder if Matt Sewell could start there, similar type player to Matt O'Donnell who played OT in the CIS but played G in Edmonton with Himebach coaching him.

doubleblue
02-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Anybody heard anything lately on Joe Eppele or Greg Wojt? Either one could be the answer for one Guard position if they are healthy again. But there has been stories that injuries may have ended their Football careers.

paulwoods13
02-11-2015, 08:31 AM
I think AV expressed concern at LG with Wayne Smith there right now & I agree. I wonder if Matt Sewell could start there, similar type player to Matt O'Donnell who played OT in the CIS but played G in Edmonton with Himebach coaching him.

Holmes is the LG still, unless he's moving to another position. Smith doesn't start under any scenario other than injuries, I imagine.

AngeloV
02-11-2015, 08:57 AM

It was as a starting RG that I had my concerns with Smith. He is a great back up to have as he can play pretty well 4 of the 5 spots on the line, but his health issues should limit him to a back up role.

gilthethrill
02-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Holmes is the LG still, unless he's moving to another position. Smith doesn't start under any scenario other than injuries, I imagine.

My apologies Paul. I had envisioned Sewell at RG, between Keeping & King, in place of Smith.

ArgoRavi
02-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Anybody heard anything lately on Joe Eppele or Greg Wojt? Either one could be the answer for one Guard position if they are healthy again. But there has been stories that injuries may have ended their Football careers.

The Ottawa papers have repeatedly said that Eppele is expected to retire. I recall reading last fall that he had lost a lot of weight which implied that he is getting ready for his post-football career.

paulwoods13
02-11-2015, 03:44 PM
My apologies Paul. I had envisioned Sewell at RG, between Keeping & King, in place of Smith.

No apology needed. Where would VZ be in that scenario? LT? I think he has played right side his entire career. I could see Sewell at RG (if he's ready to start) with VZ at RT, and King at LT.

gilthethrill
02-11-2015, 04:03 PM
No apology needed. Where would VZ be in that scenario? LT? I think he has played right side his entire career. I could see Sewell at RG (if he's ready to start) with VZ at RT, and King at LT.

My line looks like this...protecting Ray's backside is King, then perhaps Sewell at G, Keeping at C, Holmes at the other G & VZ at the other Tackle spot....man, I am quite the communicator huh? :)
Could be a good starting lineup, but it appears thin after that right now to say the least.

OV Argo
02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
My line looks like this...protecting Ray's backside is King, then perhaps Sewell at G, Keeping at C, Holmes at the other G & VZ at the other Tackle spot....man, I am quite the communicator huh? :)
Could be a good starting lineup, but it appears thin after that right now to say the least.

Coulda been a potential disaster / desperate situation if they had been unable to re-sign Tyler Holmes right; and they have yet to make any FA moves (not Barker's way it seems). Would have to hope Dhillon from last year's draft is ready to at least be a capable back-up or maybe count on Wayne Smith a lot; plus maybe use their 1st draft pick on an O-Lineman (pretty decent crop this year perhaps).

One scenario that might work is that Sewell - under tutelage from Hymie (kill the light would you Hymie) - has a great camp and is ready to start at OT = him and King at OT. Holmes and Van Z at guard, Keeping at C; i guess Sewell could get thrown in at guard like what happened with O'Donnnell and the Esks (kinda amusing then how the NFL has called O\Donnell for a shot at OT again).

AngeloV
02-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Hymie (kill the light would you Hymie)

That was his father's name.

Greatest control (originally KAOS) agent ever.

Did I just reveal how old I am?

:D

gilthethrill
02-11-2015, 05:36 PM
That was his father's name.

Greatest control (originally KAOS) agent ever.

Did I just reveal how old I am?

:D

Classsic line revived by OV....Classic!

OV Argo
02-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Classsic line revived by OV....Classic!

I purchased season 3 on DVD recently - still reviewing - bringing back so many memories.

Hymie competing in the Olympics - throws the discus out of the stadium.

Hope Hymie is a great O-line coach.

gilthethrill
02-12-2015, 06:34 AM
I purchased season 3 on DVD recently - still reviewing - bringing back so many memories.

Hymie competing in the Olympics - throws the discus out of the stadium.

Hope Hymie is a great O-line coach.

Haha....I actually have season 1....Agent 99 is hot!

AngeloV
02-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Haha....I actually have season 1....Agent 99 is hot!

Taking this thread even further off topic...Is the cone of silence finally working?

doubleblue
02-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Back to the Left Tackle. I'm shocked that four people would pick an untested Matt Sewell to be the starting Left Tackle this year. If Milanovich does plan on starting him, which I doubt, it would have to at one of the Guard positions where it is easier to protect him. They know better than to put him up against the likes of Chick, Bowman, Norwood, Hughes, Willis and others from the Rush End position. Easier for him to go up against the big bull rushers in the middle of the DLine while he continues to learn. IMO the Left tackle spot will be King's to lose.

Argocister
02-12-2015, 02:31 PM
I tend to agree with you Doubleblue ..... Left Tackle is Kings ..... then Holmes at left guard ..... Do you think with more experience Holmes can move to the LT if needed?

AngeloV
02-12-2015, 04:05 PM
I tend to agree with you Doubleblue ..... Left Tackle is Kings ..... then Holmes at left guard ..... Do you think with more experience Holmes can move to the LT if needed?

Holmes might not even need more experience. Perhaps the addition of Himebauch is all that is needed. Chiu was a very good player, but very unproven as a coach. The difference in Edmonton's o-line was night and day after Himebauch arrived.

ArgoRavi
02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Holmes might not even need more experience. Perhaps the addition of Himebauch is all that is needed. Chiu was a very good player, but very unproven as a coach. The difference in Edmonton's o-line was night and day after Himebauch arrived.

No kidding, AV, and at least three of those Edmonton o-linemen were players whom the Argos discarded (Ramsay, Andrew Jones, Washington).

AngeloV
02-12-2015, 05:01 PM
No kidding, AV, and at least three of those Edmonton o-linemen were players whom the Argos discarded (Ramsay, Andrew Jones, Washington).

And Hervey was so close to getting rid of Rottier the previous year because of his play. I think Himebach had the most positive effect on him.

Wobbler
02-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Presumably the winner will be determined mostly by camp and pre-season performance. I'm hoping that Sewell gets the job because with his height and reach I think he'd make a better tackle than guard. Holmes is a more natural guard, IMHO. If Sewell spent the off-season slimming down a bit and working on his quickness, I could see him getting the job and learning to be quite good at it.

Is it more likely that King gets the job? Yes. But I'm hoping we end up with Sewell-Holmes-Keeping-King-Van Zeyl with Smith and Dhillon as backups.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8