PDA

View Full Version : CFL didn't know about D-I Canadian QB?

KCargosfan
02-20-2015, 05:54 PM
http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/air-canada-brandon-bridge-hopes-to-fly-direct-into-nfl-like-rypien-and-palmer

This is right up OVA's alley.

Neely2005
02-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Well that's embarrassing, not drafting a dead player embarrassing but still not good.

"Still, there’s no reason the CFL Scouting Bureau should have been unaware of him until last month: Bridge wasn’t included in the bureau’s 20 Canadian prospects, either in its initial September rankings or in the updated ones in December.
Why was Bridge omitted?
“I have no idea,” he said. “I actually have now been invited to the CFL’s scouting combine (March 27-29 in Toronto). But it’s around my pro day, and my agent told me to just worry about the NFL combine and (South Alabama’s March 30) pro day.”

OV Argo
02-20-2015, 06:55 PM
http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/air-canada-brandon-bridge-hopes-to-fly-direct-into-nfl-like-rypien-and-palmer

Hey KC - welcome back here !

Pretty sure I mentioned that about Bridge in a post here quite awhile back; was no surprise to me - yawn - nothing to see here - move along. o;)

ArgoGabe22
02-20-2015, 06:57 PM
I knew about him, played against him in highschool. Actually saw him in Square One around last Christmas. I think I was the only one to know it was him.

Ballstothewall
02-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Well that's embarrassing, not drafting a dead player embarrassing but still not good.

"Still, there’s no reason the CFL Scouting Bureau should have been unaware of him until last month: Bridge wasn’t included in the bureau’s 20 Canadian prospects, either in its initial September rankings or in the updated ones in December.
Why was Bridge omitted?
“I have no idea,” he said. “I actually have now been invited to the CFL’s scouting combine (March 27-29 in Toronto). But it’s around my pro day, and my agent told me to just worry about the NFL combine and (South Alabama’s March 30) pro day.”

The CFL was very aware of him, in fact they did a segment on him during Grey Cup week on TSN, then TSN interviewed him about playing pro in either the CFL or NFL, they had CFL GM's and scouts talk about him, did anyone ever think that perhaps the CFL scouts did not believe he was ready till now

Neely2005
02-20-2015, 07:45 PM
The CFL was very aware of him, in fact they did a segment on him during Grey Cup week on TSN, then TSN interviewed him about playing pro in either the CFL or NFL, they had CFL GM's and scouts talk about him, did anyone ever think that perhaps the CFL scouts did not believe he was ready till now

Just going by what the article said.

KCargosfan
02-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Just going by what the article said.

Agreed. Perhaps the writer wasn't forthcoming enough with all the information and just wrote something to make the CFL look bad?

Hey KC - welcome back here !

Pretty sure I mentioned that about Bridge in a post here quite awhile back; was no surprise to me - yawn - nothing to see here - move along. o;)

Thanks. Good to be back.

That's right, I do recall you and others mentioning him now that you say so. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

OV Argo
02-20-2015, 10:17 PM

Yeah - they were so aware of him they forgot to put him on their top 20 prospects list É - a guy who is basically the top rated Canadian player this NFL draft; and yet they do have Boyko at number 1 and Varga top 3 or so too ÉÉÉ There is no plausible explanation for this other than the guys who make up that list have no use for a QB on their list and playing in their league - sorry, it`s time to admit this and stop with the bs excuses.

doubleblue
02-20-2015, 10:27 PM

I can't believe that the CFL scouts didn't know about him. I knew about him when he was at Alcorn State from scanning the NCAA rosters. Probably wasn't rated in the first couple of rounds because he is a Canadian QB. I think he is a long way from ever starting at QB in the NFL. Good athlete with size and running ability and a strong arm. But has a lot of bad habits. Doesn't have what they say in the business good feet under him when he throws and isn't all that accurate because of that. I wouldn't be surprised if he is asked to change positions if he wants to play pro. I say he is just a project in either league at QB. But, I wouldn't be surprised if a CFL team drafts him later with the idea of making him into a SB/WR once he gives up the dream of playing QB. Jabari Arthur and Eric Desjardins were highly touted Canadian QB's going to the NCAA but wound up as Receivers. John Childs and Jermaine Copeland come to mind as pretty fair College QB's but had to switch to WR to play Pro Ball.

OV Argo
02-20-2015, 11:48 PM
I can't believe that the CFL scouts didn't know about him. I knew about him when he was at Alcorn State from scanning the NCAA rosters. Probably wasn't rated in the first couple of rounds because he is a Canadian QB. I think he is a long way from ever starting at QB in the NFL. Good athlete with size and running ability and a strong arm. But has a lot of bad habits. Doesn't have what they say in the business good feet under him when he throws and isn't all that accurate because of that. I wouldn't be surprised if he is asked to change positions if he wants to play pro. I say he is just a project in either league at QB. But, I wouldn't be surprised if a CFL team drafts him later with the idea of making him into a SB/WR once he gives up the dream of playing QB. Jabari Arthur and Eric Desjardins were highly touted Canadian QB's going to the NCAA but wound up as Receivers. John Childs and Jermaine Copeland come to mind as pretty fair College QB's but had to switch to WR to play Pro Ball.

Arthur & DesLauriers switched to receiver early in their college ball careers and proved they were top pro prospects as receivers by putting up huge receiving numbers in college ball. Bridge has only played QB; and sure he might make a decent pro receiver - Sinopoli surprised by making a real nice transition to receiver but apparently played some early in his GGs days when he was a back-up QB.

Bridge is a starting QB in US college ball who is a fairly high rated NFL QB prospect; the CFL good ole boys club may well have heard of him but they chose to not rate him as a top CFL prospect; in a league that features all kinds of iffy to weak or unproven QBs on depth charts. Sorry - this speaks volumes IMO; but the excuses and rationalizations will pour in - especially from defenders of the good ole boys`faith. And little chance the NFL looks at him as a receiver IMO - he is a top rated QB in not so great a QB draft year there, he has some serious QB skills and they have tons of real receivers to look at anyways.

ArgoRavi
02-21-2015, 12:14 AM
Okay, let's take the fact that Bridge is Canadian out of the equation. So he has a strong arm and ... ? He sounds a bit like a poor man's Michael Bishop to be honest. If he were an import, would there be that much CFL interest in him? That he had modest success in the NCAA and is rated 12th for the NFL draft among QBs may say much more about the quality of QBs entering that draft this year than anything else.

Agreed. Perhaps the writer wasn't forthcoming enough with all the information and just wrote something to make the CFL look bad?

The writer, John Kryk, writes about the NFL and seems to have limited knowledge of or contact with the CFL.

gilthethrill
02-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Okay, let's take the fact that Bridge is Canadian out of the equation. So he has a strong arm and ... ? He sounds a bit like a poor man's Michael Bishop to be honest. If he were an import, would there be that much CFL interest in him? That he had modest success in the NCAA and is rated 12th for the NFL draft among QBs may say much more about the quality of QBs entering that draft this year than anything else.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Bridge was American he would be on a CFL neg list. I don't blame him if he takes his agents advice and does not attend the CFL Combine. Sadly, this kid has no future in the CFL.

OV Argo
02-21-2015, 05:41 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that if Bridge was American he would be on a CFL neg list. I don't blame him if he takes his agents advice and does not attend the CFL Combine. Sadly, this kid has no future in the CFL.

A lot of top rated Canadian players who were drawing NFL interest have declined attending the CFL Combine over the past number of years; and can`t blame them either IMO - the risk of getting injured there and wrecking a potential 6 or even 7 figure NFL pay-day(s) down the road = not worth it.

As for Bridge - love to see him come out in public and tell the CFL good oles to shove their Combine invite sideways since they showed little to no interest in him in the first place; that`s just me though - probably not advisable for him if he wants future CFL employment in case the NFL doesn`t pan out for him - they might want to convert him into a slotback or fullback.

doubleblue
02-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Bridge actually looked pretty good at the combine yesterday. He has been working on his foot work apparently. But Maylock says he still doesn't know what he's doing (very raw I guess) but he (Bridge) will be a NFL camp this year as a free agent or a late round pick.
Keep the old boys posts coming OV, I enjoy reading them.

OV Argo
02-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Bridge actually looked pretty good at the combine yesterday. He has been working on his foot work apparently. But Maylock says he still doesn't know what he's doing (very raw I guess) but he (Bridge) will be a NFL camp this year as a free agent or a late round pick.
Keep the old boys posts coming OV, I enjoy reading them.

I wonder how many current CFL back-up QBs were even close to as highly rated an NFL prospect as Bridge is this year É

The Bombers had a Div III American QB on their roster (cannnot recall the name now - i think the Esks picked him up though) who actually played and started for them; and the likes of Tanner Marsh or Nieswander for the Als or Sunseri & Doege with the Riders - getting CFL playing time; the RedBlacks have zip at QB behind an aging, erratic Burris ... yet some of the good oles cannot rate Bridge as a decent CFL QB prospect ÉÉÉ

AngeloV
02-23-2015, 10:55 AM
To call him a great prospect is a bit of a stretch IMO. He had 4 games last year in which he completed less than 43% of his passes, including a whopping 18% against a good South Carolina team. He also only had 2 games over 250 yards out of his 11 games. I hope he improves his accuracy, but I don't think his birth certificate has anything to do with the lukewarm interest he has received.

OV Argo
02-23-2015, 12:28 PM
To call him a great prospect is a bit of a stretch IMO. He had 4 games last year in which he completed less than 43% of his passes, including a whopping 18% against a good South Carolina team. He also only had 2 games over 250 yards out of his 11 games. I hope he improves his accuracy, but I don't think his birth certificate has anything to do with the lukewarm interest he has received.

If you get invited to the NFL Combine, you are receiving more than lukewarm interest - from that league anyways.

And I cannot think of a single other CFL draftable player who was considered a decent NFL prospect who did not make the CFL top prospect list since it has been put out on their site (only been there a few years i believe É); and usually, such guys are near the top of that list. - SO - again, somebody please feel free to explain why Bridge would not have made it somewhere in the top 20 of the CFL list .

AngeloV
02-23-2015, 12:42 PM
If you get invited to the NFL Combine, you are receiving more than lukewarm interest - from that league anyways.

And I cannot think of a single other CFL draftable player who was considered a decent NFL prospect who did not make the CFL top prospect list since it has been put out on their site (only been there a few years i believe É); and usually, such guys are near the top of that list. - SO - again, somebody please feel free to explain why Bridge would not have made it somewhere in the top 20 of the CFL list .

He's beiing invited to the camp because of his measurables (6'5", big arm and athletic). His play in college certainly hasn't warranted it.

OV Argo
02-23-2015, 01:29 PM
He's beiing invited to the camp because of his measurables (6'5", big arm and athletic). His play in college certainly hasn't warranted it.

Yeah - NFL measureables - I get that; but that is not what is at question here from the start of this thread.

AngeloV
02-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Yeah - NFL measureables - I get that; but that is not what is at question here from the start of this thread.

No, at question is why he wasn't on a CFL radar. I say because he hasn't had any real success in college, and not because of his birth certificate. Should they have look at him differently based on the fact that he played NCAA ball? I don't see too many of the QB's you mentioned earlier (Tanner Marsh or Nieswander for the Als or Sunseri & Doege with the Riders) putting up such low completion percentages in their college days.

Bridge's numbers in comparison to the 4 QB's you mentioned (Senior year stats): 52.1% and 175 yards per game

Tanner Marsh..63% and 273 YPG
Josh Nieswander..62% and 266 ypg
Tino Sunseri..65% and 259 ypg
Seth Doege..70% and 323 ypg

Sorry, but perfomance wise, he doesn't measure up. The NFL likes his size and arm. But we all know that there are a lot of NFL clip board holders that aren't better than a lot of CFL QB's. Many have failed up here, and played better down there.

OV Argo
02-23-2015, 02:31 PM
No, at question is why he wasn't on a CFL radar. I say because he hasn't had any real success in college, and not because of his birth certificate. Should they have look at him differently based on the fact that he played NCAA ball? I don't see too many of the QB's you mentioned earlier (Tanner Marsh or Nieswander for the Als or Sunseri & Doege with the Riders) putting up such low completion percentages in their college days.

Bridge's numbers in comparison to the 4 QB's you mentioned (Senior year stats): 52.1% and 175 yards per game

Tanner Marsh..63% and 273 YPG
Josh Nieswander..62% and 266 ypg
Tino Sunseri..65% and 259 ypg
Seth Doege..70% and 323 ypg

Sorry, but perfomance wise, he doesn't measure up. The NFL likes his size and arm. But we all know that there are a lot of NFL clip board holders that aren't better than a lot of CFL QB's. Many have failed up here, and played better down there.

OK then - could be i guess.

Could you now explain why or how Joe Eppelle - who was not even a college ball starter - got to be a top rated CFL prospect and a 1st round CFL draft pick. Maybe for him - it was OK to use a first round pick based on size or measureables and ignore performance since he couldn;t even make the starting line-up in college ball É And what other former US college ball Div I starters have the CFL good oles not been impressed with before É

And since the good ole scouts are so impressed (sometimes i guess) by college ball play and QB passing stats - do you feel any CFL team would be inclined to, this coming draft, take Montreal Carabins QB Gabe Cousineau - who completed 72 % of his passes last season, at 289 YPG, with a 14 TD to 3 INT ratio, and who led his team to a national championship É

AngeloV
02-23-2015, 03:11 PM
OK then - could be i guess.

Could you now explain why or how Joe Eppelle - who was not even a college ball starter - got to be a top rated CFL prospect and a 1st round CFL draft pick. Maybe for him - it was OK to use a first round pick based on size or measureables and ignore performance since he couldn;t even make the starting line-up in college ball É And what other former US college ball Div I starters have the CFL good oles not been impressed with before É

And since the good ole scouts are so impressed (sometimes i guess) by college ball play and QB passing stats - do you feel any CFL team would be inclined to, this coming draft, take Montreal Carabins QB Gabe Cousineau - who completed 72 % of his passes last season, at 289 YPG, with a 14 TD to 3 INT ratio, and who led his team to a national championship É

Again, Eppelle was a bit of a gamble, and was definitely drafted strictly on measurables..the fact that he also played at a pac 10 school, often translates into quality practice time. I'm sure scouts are there during spring camps.

Cousineau had some great stats, and who knows, if given a chance maybe he can turn into a quality QB. My guess is that teams aren't willing to put in the time to develop a CIS qb. I know we've been through this before, but the fact that so many CIS games have been blowouts in recent years, makes it really tough to determine how good the skill position players really are. I really wish they would put in a mandate to make at least one of the 3 QB's on a roster Canadian. But like you, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Argocister
02-23-2015, 09:14 PM
So my 2 cents .....

Bridge will hopefully get some practice time with some NFL teams. This will only lead to more experience, and once he has completed that then teams in the CFL will have a look.
..... maybe its wishful thinking but I believe that will be the scenario.
I haven't looked but Bo Levi in Calgary was drafted straight from college .... but his numbers and performance were much better than Bridges.
If I were a scout for a CFL team that would be my opinion . Let Bridges get more experience and see how he improves.

As to Eppelle .... I think the coaches and scouts believe if you have a spot on a NCAA team, then the scouting has been done and you must be good. .... maybe this was the case in the past but now I don't believe its true. And most teams are finding that out. In a way that is why it is good that the Canadians in the NCAA can come up for the CFL combine with the change in rules. Although, I wish they would increase the number of players invited as I think it takes away from the CIS opportunities.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8