PDA

View Full Version : Beer in Ontario grocery stores?

Wobbler
04-16-2015, 07:49 PM
I noticed the news today that the provincial government plans to partially relax its control of alcohol, at least to the extent that beer should be available in most grocery stores. That *seems* like a rather common sense move; when I lived in Ontario the old rules seemed normal, of course, but I quickly adapted to (and now expect) near-universal beer and wine availability after moving to Oregon.

Congratulations, everyone - I think you're going to enjoy this!

AngeloV
04-18-2015, 05:04 PM
I, personally don't like the idea. There are more than enough beer stores around where I don't feel it's a big Inconvenience to purchase it. That is going to mean store closures and more lost jobs because of it.

1argoholic
04-19-2015, 12:56 PM
The Beer Store is owned Labatts, Molsons and Sleemans. However Anheuser-Busch Inbev from Belgium and Brazil owns Labatts.Molson Coors is half American and Sleeman is owned by Sapporo of Japan. I will not support this store because I don't drink their swill and support the non Canadian monopoly they hold. Basically mass marketed swill. I'm all in for supporting small, local quality in everything that I can.
Quality micro beers should be more readily available in grocery stores. Once you try quality foods and drink you can't go back to swill and fast food. I used to drink Canadian and eat fast food but those days are done. Way too many great micro brews and restaurants such as Church Key Brewing in Campbellford. A big thanks goes out to Midnightblue for mentioning this great little brewery.
Hockley Valley Brewing, Black Oak Brewing, Trafalgar Brewing and Black Creek Brewing have some of my favorite beers ever. Not every single beer that a micro brewery produces will suit ones tastes but these places are killer. Black Creek and Church Key each have at least four beers that I really enjoy. Going to try Trafalgar's Chocolate Orange Porter soon.

Ron
04-21-2015, 12:24 AM
With the reduction of shelf space it will make less selection (and some higher prices) for other needs in a grocery store.

AngeloV
04-21-2015, 09:52 AM
With the reduction of shelf space it will make less selection (and some higher prices) for other needs in a grocery store.

That is a good point. Further to my original feelings, it would also likely mean the end to students working part time in grocery stores, as they would not be of age to sell alcohol.

T-Bone
04-21-2015, 10:44 AM
That is a good point. Further to my original feelings, it would also likely mean the end to students working part time in grocery stores, as they would not be of age to sell alcohol.
I highly doubt it will eliminate student grocery store jobs. They may have to have one or two dedicated lines with cashiers that are 19+ to deal with alcohol purchases and the prices will likely go up. In other provinces that is what happened when they went from government controlled stores to private stores but I still think this is way over due.

"Issues"Mcgee
04-21-2015, 03:15 PM
I still don't understand why the provincial government is giving up its monopolies. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Then again, nothing about Wynne makes any sense.

1argoholic
04-22-2015, 04:26 PM
The provincial government needs money so the big sell off puts coin into their pockets. Nothing about politics makes sense.

Wobbler
11-17-2015, 12:25 AM
It has been several months now, and I'm curious. What is current state of beer/liquor access in Ontario?

1argoholic
11-17-2015, 10:29 AM
I thought it wasn't going to happen until the new year.

Wobbler
11-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Oh, I didn't realize. Thanks.

Neely2005
11-18-2015, 03:35 PM

^ Obviously Ontarians can't be trusted the same as the rest of the Continent.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8