PDA

View Full Version : Mini-camp begins on Sunday!

ArgoRavi
05-03-2015, 02:47 AM
It sounds like Logan Kilgore is the only QB at mini-camp in Bradenton, Florida: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/02/argos-in-for-a-different-camp

gilthethrill
05-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Would it not benefit both Harris and Gale to be there and get some work in before main camp? I am not sure I like this.

Argo57
05-03-2015, 08:46 AM
It sounds like Logan Kilgore is the only QB at mini-camp in Bradenton, Florida: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/02/argos-in-for-a-different-camp

No real "safety net" at QB compared with 2013, this season will be determined by Ray's health.

AngeloV
05-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Argos are the only team to hold their mini camp after Friday's mandatory roster reduction to 75. it limits the amount of new people to see at this mini camp, and a further example of how little funds are being put into the operations.

1argoholic
05-03-2015, 12:29 PM
They have so little money that camp is on half of a field and snacks are finger foods.

paulwoods13
05-03-2015, 03:04 PM
No real "safety net" at QB compared with 2013, this season will be determined by Ray's health.

At this time in 2013 we had no known safety net at QB. Collaros was someone few fans had even heard of. And we had Harris as well. He now has two more years' experience learning the offence. I'm no more worried about our depth at QB than I was heading into 2013.

Wobbler
05-03-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm just happy that Zicarelli was flown to Florida for the minicamp. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get an article describing the scene and providing some info about the handful of guys we sign (after releasing a few from the current roster).

ArgoGabe22
05-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Brandon Issac is attending. I'm guessing he was invited. Perhaps Milanovich never had a problem with him and it was just Chris Jones.

Wobbler
05-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Damn. I suppose I should...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Follow us on Snapchat to go behind the scenes at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> mini camp happening now! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="http://t.co/yezNBi31xr">pic.twitter.com/yezNBi31xr</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/594954943372652544">May 3, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoGabe22
05-03-2015, 05:56 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> held their 1st day of Mini Camp today. Among those in attendance: <a href="https://twitter.com/chadkackert">@ChadKackert</a>! Story to come. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="http://t.co/IQqA8yM5hw">pic.twitter.com/IQqA8yM5hw</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/594983511406354432">May 3, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argo57
05-03-2015, 07:14 PM
At this time in 2013 we had no known safety net at QB. Collaros was someone few fans had even heard of. And we had Harris as well. He now has two more years' experience learning the offence. I'm no more worried about our depth at QB than I was heading into 2013.

Except the fact our starting QB wasn't coming off major shoulder surgery.

ArgoRavi
05-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Except the fact our starting QB wasn't coming off major shoulder surgery.

Ray missed quite a few games in the middle of that 2013 season though including a four game road trip due to the shoulder injury which precipitated this recent surgery. He may not miss any games this year. I agree with Paul that we should have no more concerns about our QB depth now than we did going into 2013. If anything, I feel a bit more comfortable coming into this season with Harris in his fourth year and Gale in his third.

jerrym
05-03-2015, 10:37 PM
I agree we have more experienced depth than we had in 2013 and I like what Harris showed last year, but the question of Ray's shoulder remains.

Argo57
05-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Ray missed quite a few games in the middle of that 2013 season though including a four game road trip due to the shoulder injury which precipitated this recent surgery. He may not miss any games this year. I agree with Paul that we should have no more concerns about our QB depth now than we did going into 2013. If anything, I feel a bit more comfortable coming into this season with Harris in his fourth year and Gale in his third.

That logic escapes me, Ray is a couple of years older, coming off some significant injuries in the last couple of seasons and recovering from serious shoulder surgery which means the spotlight could be focused on our backup QB's.
Sure Ray could play the whole season but that is far from a sure bet, I'm not down on Harris but wouldn't want to be in the position of having to rely on him for a long stretch of time.
Would be much more comfortable if Harris was the backup that led us to the string of wins in 2013 during Ray's absence instead of the guy currently leading the Ticats.

ArgoRavi
05-04-2015, 11:52 PM
That logic escapes me, Ray is a couple of years older, coming off some significant injuries in the last couple of seasons and recovering from serious shoulder surgery which means the spotlight could be focused on our backup QB's.
Sure Ray could play the whole season but that is far from a sure bet, I'm not down on Harris but wouldn't want to be in the position of having to rely on him for a long stretch of time.
Would be much more comfortable if Harris was the backup that led us to the string of wins in 2013 during Ray's absence instead of the guy currently leading the Ticats.

Did you know that Collaros was going to lead the Argos to a string of victories prior to the 2013 season?

Argo57
05-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Did you know that Collaros was going to lead the Argos to a string of victories prior to the 2013 season?

Not saying I did, just like you have no clue as to whether Ray will play the full season, here's the point Ravi, heading into 2013 Ray was healthy thus our backup QB's weren't of much focus, fast forward to now, Ray has fought through some serious injuries in the last couple of years and is coming off major shoulder surgery (to which he hasn't thrown a ball or taken a hit) anything is possible but the last couple of years have me expecting to see a lot of Harris this season.

Wobbler
05-05-2015, 07:34 PM
The first substantial report from mini-camp (http://www.cfl.ca/article/campbell-hazelton-shine-as-argos-wind-down-camp) indicates that Milanovich was impressed by WR Hazelton and OT Bruce Campbell, who we apparently signed on March 24th. We definitely need at least one new elite receiver, so this is encouraging.

Mookie Fan
05-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Not saying I did, just like you have no clue as to whether Ray will play the full season, here's the point Ravi, heading into 2013 Ray was healthy thus our backup QB's weren't of much focus, fast forward to now, Ray has fought through some serious injuries in the last couple of years and is coming off major shoulder surgery (to which he hasn't thrown a ball or taken a hit) anything is possible but the last couple of years have me expecting to see a lot of Harris this season.

Personally I think it won't be a bad thing to see a lot of playing time for Trevor Harris this coming season. I think Harris should have been used more last season. I love Ricky Ray and respect his abilities, but Harris appeared to be more mobile and be the better downfield passer last season in limited playing time. Ray just didn't look very dangerous last year compared to 2013. He had some success statistically and led the league in passing, but that had a lot to do with the weaker offences league-wide last year.

I realize that Ray had a tough time due to injuries to Toronto top receivers, an underutilized running game, bad play calling, at times inconsistent pass protection and part of it was probably Ray's injured shoulder. That said, The Argonaut coaching staff should have used Trevor Harris and/or Mitchell Gale as a change-of-pace to mix things up a bit when the offence was struggling in 2014. They didn't. Ricky Ray played at a very high level in 2013 when healthy, but even a future hall of fame quarterback can benefit from a break when struggling as Ray did last year at times. Harris looked less polished than Ray against Ottawa last season, but would likely improve in this regard with more playing time.

Argo57
05-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Personally I think it won't be a bad thing to see a lot of playing time for Trevor Harris this coming season. I think Harris should have been used more last season. I love Ricky Ray and respect his abilities, but Harris appeared to be more mobile and be the better downfield passer last season in limited playing time. Ray just didn't look very dangerous last year compared to 2013. He had some success statistically and led the league in passing, but that had a lot to do with the weaker offences league-wide last year.

I realize that Ray had a tough time due to injuries to Toronto top receivers, an underutilized running game, bad play calling, at times inconsistent pass protection and part of it was probably Ray's injured shoulder. That said, The Argonaut coaching staff should have used Trevor Harris and/or Mitchell Gale as a change-of-pace to mix things up a bit when the offence was struggling in 2014. They didn't. Ricky Ray played at a very high level in 2013 when healthy, but even a future hall of fame quarterback can benefit from a break when struggling as Ray did last year at times. Harris looked less polished than Ray against Ottawa last season, but would likely improve in this regard with more playing time.

Very fair summary, I have no doubt we could see much more of our backups this season, at least we will know if we have our future QB or not.

argotom
05-05-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm just happy that Zicarelli was flown to Florida for the minicamp. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get an article describing the scene and providing some info about the handful of guys we sign (after releasing a few from the current roster).

Excellent reporting and we can all be happy Zicarelli is in Florida.
I look forward to his in depth reporting all year round.
On top of which, he is right on the ball about many aspects of the team, both on field and sadly the off field fiasco.

gilthethrill
05-06-2015, 06:49 AM
I was pleased to read that Kierre Johnson, a recent Ottawa cut was in camp. Good speed & has some CFL experience. Sounds like several of the recievers that were signed in the offseason will be coming to TC based on their mini camp performances.

I just read an article on 3DownNation that former #1 overall draft pick Chris Bauman, a receiver was in Florida for the camp.

AngeloV
05-06-2015, 09:37 AM
I just read an article on 3DownNation that former #1 overall draft pick Chris Bauman, a receiver was in Florida for the camp.

Chris Bauman should have been a stud receiver, but really got a case of the dropsies. Hopefully he is more focused and has something to play for. He could be a good addition or at the least good competition in camp. I like his size.

Will
05-06-2015, 10:36 AM
I still feel the Argos receiving corps needs a little more than what either Bauman or Johnson would bring to the table.

AngeloV
05-06-2015, 11:43 AM
I still feel the Argos receiving corps needs a little more than what either Bauman or Johnson would bring to the table.

Probably, but until we see the new recruits, we won't know if we have any Inman caliber receivers that just may be better than what moved in free agency. I've never been a fan of Kierre Johnson's hands. He does get open and is a deep threat for sure, but I prefer guys that are good (don't get intimidated) in tight coverage.

jerrym
05-06-2015, 01:11 PM
The Argos need a lot more than Bauman and Johnson bring.
Bauman hasn't played since 2012 and only gained 132 and 212 yards in his last two years. He never impressed me in any way.
http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/4295

I watched Johnson for 2 years in BC and never saw why he was on the roster as an international. He would have even been a marginal national, IMO. In 4 years in the CFL, he never gained more than 279 yards.
http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/4411

argotom
05-06-2015, 06:00 PM
We definitely need more quality receivers this year plus a healthy Ricky for the entire year, the status of the latter from the recent reports appears uncertain for the beginning of training camp anyway.

Wobbler
05-06-2015, 06:45 PM
We just signed Johnson (http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-sign-cfl-veteran-kierrie-Johnson), so I guess he'll at least get a good look in camp. I'd personally prefer that we try not to get any smaller at receiver - since our top current guys are pretty small - but if he can get the job done, no worries!

Mookie Fan
05-06-2015, 07:41 PM
We just signed Johnson (http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-sign-cfl-veteran-kierrie-Johnson), so I guess he'll at least get a good look in camp. I'd personally prefer that we try not to get any smaller at receiver - since our top current guys are pretty small - but if he can get the job done, no worries!

I wonder if he can effectively return kickoffs and punts at this stage in his career? He has done that in the past, hasn't he? That is obviously a big area of need for this team, as many have pointed out. He had good speed in the past, and isn't over-the-hill--he turns 27 in August.

Fumblitis
05-06-2015, 08:13 PM

I realize that Ray had a tough time due to injuries to Toronto top receivers, an underutilized running game, bad play calling, at times inconsistent pass protection and part of it was probably Ray's injured shoulder. That said, The Argonaut coaching staff should have used Trevor Harris and/or Mitchell Gale as a change-of-pace to mix things up a bit when the offence was struggling in 2014. They didn't. Ricky Ray played at a very high level in 2013 when healthy, but even a future hall of fame quarterback can benefit from a break when struggling as Ray did last year at times. Harris looked less polished than Ray against Ottawa last season, but would likely improve in this regard with more playing time.Hell ya, Trevor Harris gives the Argos a running threat. But I'm naturally biased toward mobile QBs anyway.

ArgoRavi
05-07-2015, 01:42 AM

I have always thought that Johnson has some untapped potential. He looked pretty decent in Ottawa early last season - and probably cost the Argos a playoff spot with a huge catch late in Ottawa's home opening win - but was injured shortly after that. I am glad to see the Argos give him a shot.

Rich
05-07-2015, 02:01 AM

I did. I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I expressed excitement here about Collaros the day he was signed, and I predicted he could be a star in the CFL one day. Everybody scoffed.

Having said that, I was impressed with Harris' play last season, and while he doesn't have the upside that Collaros has, I think he can give us some stable if unspectacular QB'ing if Ricky can't go.

argotom
05-07-2015, 05:44 PM
I did. I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I expressed excitement here about Collaros the day he was signed, and I predicted he could be a star in the CFL one day. Everybody scoffed.

Having said that, I was impressed with Harris' play last season, and while he doesn't have the upside that Collaros has, I think he can give us some stable if unspectacular QB'ing if Ricky can't go.

The jury is still out on Harris and frankly on all of the back ups.

AngeloV
05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
And you guys actually think Collaros played extremely well in 2014? The Cats won most of their games down the stretch on the strength of defense and special teams. Personally, I think Collaros showed way more in 2013 than he did in 2014.

Mookie Fan
05-07-2015, 10:01 PM

I don't think we've seen enough of Trevor Harris to know whether or not he has the upside Collaros has. Harris is less of a threat to run as a quarterback, but he probably has a better arm for throwing the ball far downfield. Collaros is good at throwing quick strikes short and medium distances down the field, but his deep ball is average at best. Also, people have noted how his goofy windup when he throws puts the ball at risk of being knocked out of this hand.

Harris is older, but not at all old by QB standards and has experience. He was 2B to Collaros's 2A when Collaros was on the Argos. Milanovich even said that although they have different skill sets, it was hard to say which QB was ahead of the other on the depth chart.

And you guys actually think Collaros played extremely well in 2014? The Cats won most of their games down the stretch on the strength of defense and special teams. Personally, I think Collaros showed way more in 2013 than he did in 2014.

I agree that Collaros seemed to fall back to earth a little bit last year. To be fair to him, he was absolutely rocked early in the year and was out for quite a while with a concussion. He did well to come back from that injury when he did. He seemed to have put a lot more muscle on his arms. One can only speculate as to how....All in all, I think CFL defences started to adjust and get a bit better at defending against him. His O-line also didn't protect Collaros well early last season. It's amazing how many times he was sacked, regardless of how long he hung on to the ball at times.

AngeloV
05-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I agree that Collaros seemed to fall back to earth a little bit last year. To be fair to him, he was absolutely rocked early in the year and was out for quite a while with a concussion. He did well to come back from that injury when he did. He seemed to have put a lot more muscle on his arms. One can only speculate as to how....All in all, I think CFL defences started to adjust and get a bit better at defending against him. His O-line also didn't protect Collaros well early last season. It's amazing how many times he was sacked, regardless of how long he hung on to the ball at times.

I don't disagree with any of that, and I like Collaros. My point being that some have anointed him the 2nd coming of Doug Flutie. He has to show more than he did down the stretch last season to get the type of praise he seems to get. Furthermore, unless the Argos made the decision to get rid of Ray, there was no way in hell he was staying.

argotom
05-07-2015, 11:36 PM

Not everybody, there are a few of us here who have said it was a bad decision to let him go.
I hope it does not come back to bite us.
From what I have seen of Harris, he has potential but not in the same class as Zach.

Rich
05-08-2015, 01:48 AM
And you guys actually think Collaros played extremely well in 2014?

I never said that, buddy. And i never said anything about Flutie. I said when he first signed that there was something special about him, and that he could be a star in this league one day, and I still think so. Not a Flutie star, maybe more like a Dunigan or McManus star.

OV Argo
05-09-2015, 10:27 PM
The Argos need a lot more than Bauman and Johnson bring.
Bauman hasn't played since 2012 and only gained 132 and 212 yards in his last two years. He never impressed me in any way.
http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/4295

I watched Johnson for 2 years in BC and never saw why he was on the roster as an international. He would have even been a marginal national, IMO. In 4 years in the CFL, he never gained more than 279 yards.
http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/4411

Agreed on Johnson = a hands of stone type; how he keeps getting repeat CFL shots is beyond me, other than his birth certificate (see Mo Mann).

And unless the Argos draft 2 or 3 receivers coming up, plus re-sign Psczonzak for another look, seems pretty obvious they are wayyy more interested in import receivers than Canadians there = look at the number of new import receivers on the roster (some with nice NFL shot resumes) plus they feel the need to sign a stiff like Johnson ?

I'll bet on Durie as the only starting NI receiver coming up with the rest being imports - and maybe 3 new guys to go with Owens, and hopefully some Inman types emerge - no more Watt at little used wide-side WR where some CFL teams like to deploy NIs; I'll also bet on 2 import OTs being pencilled in as starters = only 4 NI starters on O = 3 needed on D and that is do-able with Foley, Gabriel, Laing and maybe Greenwood at MLB; though IMO they could maybe go with 5 NI starters on D if Black is given a real shot at corner to go with the 4 above mentioned (not like that is going to happen though - 5 NI starters on a CFL D would boggle a good ole mind).

ArgoRavi
05-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Agreed on Johnson = a hands of stone type; how he keeps getting repeat CFL shots is beyond me, other than his birth certificate (see Mo Mann).

You agree about Johnson. What about Bauman, OV? What is your assessment of his career so far?

OV Argo
05-10-2015, 11:03 AM
You agree about Johnson. What about Bauman, OV? What is your assessment of his career so far?

A couple of glaring drops early in his career sealed his fate I believe - unlike Mann or Johnson who dropped wayyyyyyyy more passes but kept getting rewarded with more playing time on different CFL teams; Bauman has bounced around several CFL teams and not done much - mind you in not much playing time opportunity; has to be labelled a draft bust I guess - good size and decent speed & athleticism, but didn't seize several CFL opportunities and was considered a back-up NI (did have one very good play-off game for the Ticats as I recall).

doubleblue
05-11-2015, 07:59 PM
A couple of glaring drops early in his career sealed his fate I believe - unlike Mann or Johnson who dropped wayyyyyyyy more passes but kept getting rewarded with more playing time on different CFL teams; Bauman has bounced around several CFL teams and not done much - mind you in not much playing time opportunity; has to be labelled a draft bust I guess - good size and decent speed & athleticism, but didn't seize several CFL opportunities and was considered a back-up NI (did have one very good play-off game for the Ticats as I recall).

Maybe he should give it a try at Safety. A lot of DB's are on that side of the ball because of their hands. What is he, something like 6'04 205 with good speed. Can't Coach them to be that big. If he could back up at Safety and play on special teams well he could have some value yet.

AngeloV
05-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Maybe he should give it a try at Safety. A lot of DB's are on that side of the ball because of their hands. What is he, something like 6'04 205 with good speed. Can't Coach them to be that big. If he could back up at Safety and play on special teams well he could have some value yet.

Oh oh...I fear for the response on this post. Are you a CFL "thinker"?

OV Argo
05-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Trying Bauman at safety when you could draft one of several experienced, proven, real safety or DB types every draft is close to laughable IMO.

But - AV is right - this is the good ole CFL thinkin' we're talking about, so who knows. Bridge or Yantz might make fine slotbacks or fullbacks or safety perhaps. And maybe a big ole Canadian boy all-star DT should be converted to O-line cause the good ole boys think that's where NIs belong rather than on D ? ;o)

AngeloV
05-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Trying Bauman at safety when you could draft one of several experienced, proven, real safety or DB types every draft is close to laughable IMO.

But - AV is right - this is the good ole CFL thinkin' we're talking about, so who knows. Bridge or Yantz might make fine slotbacks or fullbacks or safety perhaps. And maybe a big ole Canadian boy all-star DT should be converted to O-line cause the good ole boys think that's where NIs belong rather than on D ? ;o)

Awesome!! Made my evening.

:D

OV Argo
05-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Awesome!! Made my evening.

:D

Glad to be of assistance AV ;o) - you figure Barker is looking at Bridge as a good slotback project? - has the size and some wheels.

argolio
05-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Alabama's QB from last year, Blake Sims, has an NFL tryout at running back. If he doesn't make it there, I say we bring him and Bridge in and make them kickers.

doubleblue
05-12-2015, 08:06 AM

Well you never know until you try. You can't beat size and talent. Bauman has some of those. Just because he always played receiver doesn't mean he would be more effective at another position like safety.
In my Coaching days (albeit mostly Hockey) I had a lot of success moving players to a different position than what they thought they should be playing. Would have some resistent at first but in the long run when success started, they would admit the new position was the best for them to succeed.
A player like Daryl Waud may well end up on the Oline down the road, because the Football people see in him what they look for in an Offensive Lineman.

AngeloV
05-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Glad to be of assistance AV ;o) - you figure Barker is looking at Bridge as a good slotback project? - has the size and some wheels.

LOL!! Who knows, but his passing skills throughout college and obviously in his try out camp haven't been very good. If anyone does draft him, they are going to need to show a lot of patience in hopes he figures it out. Kyle Quinlan is another one that should have been developed.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8