PDA

View Full Version : Sean McEwen

doubleblue
05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
New development in the last 48 hours. Sean McEwen has been telling Clubs not to draft him as he is going back to school for another year to get his degree.
Puzzling that he would go through the combine and mini camp before deciding he didn't want to play pro football. Could this be a ploy so some eastern team like Montreal doesn't draft him, leaving him for BC or Calgary? Or maybe he is serious and isn't all that keen on playing football. It happens.

gilthethrill
05-12-2015, 02:09 PM
New development in the last 48 hours. Sean McEwen has been telling Clubs not to draft him as he is going back to school for another year to get his degree.
Puzzling that he would go through the combine and mini camp before deciding he didn't want to play pro football. Could this be a ploy so some eastern team like Montreal doesn't draft him, leaving him for BC or Calgary? Or maybe he is serious and isn't all that keen on playing football. It happens.

Too bad. If he is around in the 4th, he could be taken then by a team willing to wait. Perhaps he feels another year of CIS ball will get him an NFL contract.

doubleblue
05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Too bad. If he is around in the 4th, he could be taken then by a team willing to wait. Perhaps he feels another year of CIS ball will get him an NFL contract.

Well if he falls to Calgary at #9 and they take him, we will know that the fix is in. lol He could play with the Stamps and still go to school. I know its just a coincidence that Calgary needs a Center to replace Brett Jones.

OV Argo
05-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Well if he falls to Calgary at #9 and they take him, we will know that the fix is in. lol He could play with the Stamps and still go to school. I know its just a coincidence that Calgary needs a Center to replace Brett Jones.

The Stamps used the top pick last year to take C Pierre Lavertu who was a several time CIS all-star C and arguably higher rated than McEwen as a C out of college ball; Lavertu will take over for Jones.

doubleblue
05-12-2015, 05:13 PM
The Stamps used the top pick last year to take C Pierre Lavertu who was a several time CIS all-star C and arguably higher rated than McEwen as a C out of college ball; Lavertu will take over for Jones.

I'm not so sure Lavertu would have been the #1 pick if he was in this year's crop. I don't remember Lavertu and Goosen, who were 1 and 1A, ever mentioned as being pro ready coming out last year. McEwen is suppose to be the pro ready according to the people that know what their talking about. Of course that's not to say that I don't. :D

OV Argo
05-12-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm not so sure Lavertu would have been the #1 pick if he was in this year's crop. I don't remember Lavertu and Goosen, who were 1 and 1A, ever mentioned as being pro ready coming out last year. McEwen is suppose to be the pro ready according to the people that know what their talking about. Of course that's not to say that I don't. :D

A lot of condescending mullarkey from CFL scouts and commentators with the "pro ready" business, IMO (gee, a young player has to make a transition to the pros or is going to have a tough job beating out a vet for a job? - what a frickin' revelation)- very few CFL draft players get that pro ready rating and it's meaningless hogwash for the most part - yep, a rookie Canadian just couldn't be "good enough". Somebody name all the examples of CFL first or 2nd round draft picks over the years who got significant playing time right away in the league and flopped or were useless (Matt Sewell in one game last year ???), and I'll reply with dozens of names of guys who were "pro ready" and it was obvious when they got playing time as rookies (Pruneau, MacMillan and MacDonnell for Ottawa last year for example).

Somebody tell you that McEwen is the way better CFL C prospect vs. Lavertu, and that the Stamps should burn their 1st pick 2 years in a row on a guy who plays the same specific position???

Wobbler
05-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Or maybe he is serious and isn't all that keen on playing football. It happens.
I kinda hope that he's keen on playing football!

Will
05-13-2015, 10:38 AM
He has changed his Twitter avatar to the Argos shield. An encouraging development?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8