PDA

View Full Version : Fan Day 2015

T-Bone
05-15-2015, 03:35 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Save the date! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> Fan Day is BACK on June 6th. Stay tuned for more details! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="http://t.co/vkALDg7F0w">pic.twitter.com/vkALDg7F0w</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) <a href="https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos/status/599296490402623488">May 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argocister
05-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Thats a fair trek from KW/Cambridge area ..... but will try and make it for sure.

ALMOST JUNE!

Will
05-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Got to feed the fanbase on the eastern side of GTA once in awhile.

Red Head
05-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Got to feed the fanbase on the eastern side of GTA once in awhile.

And the Argos are associated in some way with the Oshawa Hawkeyes football organization. Share colours as well. Hawkeyes have existed since the fifties and play at all age groups from tykes to seniors. Remember Argos had a at least one day of camp at the Oshawa staduim in the early 2000's and the local kids ( including mine) got to run thorough a bunch of warm ups and drills with them. Imagine that.... grass root marketing

AngeloV
05-18-2015, 05:35 PM
And the Argos are associated in some way with the Oshawa Hawkeyes football organization. Share colours as well. Hawkeyes have existed since the fifties and play at all age groups from tykes to seniors. Remember Argos had a at least one day of camp at the Oshawa staduim in the early 2000's and the local kids ( including mine) got to run thorough a bunch of warm ups and drills with them. Imagine that.... grass root marketing

I'd like to know if in fact they still are involved with the Hawkeyes. I played Junior for the Hawkeyes in 88 and 89 (they no longer have a CJFL team), and I know for a fact the Argos were affiliated with them back then, as they used to help fund the team. When the junior team folded in the early 90's, I was under the impression that a big part was funding, and that the Argos were no longer contributing.

1argoholic
05-19-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm good with that! Even though now that I'm a Petes fan we call it the Dirty Shwa. haha. I really have no issues with Oshawa just yet.

Hopefully they let the Argonotes play and turn off that very loud SHIT Dance Rap CRAP!!!! Gotta Get A Selfy! FUUUUUG!!!!

I'll be missing it anyhow as I'll be drying out in TO after a killer Reverand Horton Heat rockabilly show on the Friday. Might be able to catch a bit on the way home.

T-Bone
06-04-2015, 12:12 PM
More Details: Toronto Argonauts Fan Day & Double Blue Game Scheduled for June 6 in Oshawa (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/toronto-argonauts-fan-day-double-blue-game-scheduled-for-june-6-in-oshawa)

Qman
06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CG1nkpfUQAAPWSS.jpg:large

PullTogether73
06-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Yes, it was a good day there.
(I'm likely in your picture. I was sitting a few rows from the bottom at the centre field line.)

The cheerleaders were fantastic ambassadors for the team imo.

I've got to say though, if you didn't like all the penalty flags last season - LOOK OUT!
The new no touch rule past five yards is going to make this season a full on laundry sale on the fields.

argonaut11xx
06-06-2015, 04:45 PM
I took my son to a similar event back in the 1990's, at civic fields in the "shwa....Kerwin Bell was the Argo QB...

The stands were maybe a 1/4 full.

Nice to see a big hawkeye presence, and a full grandstand

gilthethrill
06-06-2015, 05:01 PM
It appears the stadium is full...I would estimate around 3,000 in attendance? Great start to the season for the Argos.

VANRIDERFAN
06-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Don't see a lot of Grey Hairs there. I like seeing all the teens and pre-teens there, good job!
How dare Argo Fans prove the sportsnet mouth breathers wrong!!!

doubleblue
06-06-2015, 05:27 PM
I think capacity is 2500, but a good turn out none the less. Cool breeze off the Lake but nice and sunny. Good weather for the players.
Harris is definitely the best QB of the bunch behind Ray. Unless they keep all five Gale might be the odd man out IMO.

Some good looking rush ends, but its early and not all the veteran OLinemen were playing. RB Josey and Canadian Coombes looked good. Kevin Elliott could be a keeper at WR 6'3 215. New guy Gurley dropped a couple.

If we thought the flags were over the top last year, the first of this year is going to be flag day every game because of the new rules.
Jim Bob did a good job with his colour commentary. If he retires from the GM job he would be an improvement on present TV guys. Good to see Obie attending and of course Pinball. Also nice recognition of Jason Pottinger and his parents.

ArgoGabe22
06-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Jim Barker made the scrimmage much more entertaining, especially between plays.

Logan Kilgore seemed to get more reps than Gale which may mean he's seen as the 2nd guy. I'm not sure if he actually got more reps though.

Without tackling (or any contact really) it's really hard to determine jobs at this point IMO

We missed you there Wobbler - a Mod joke ;)

Wobbler
06-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Sure, make fun of the guy who is stuck 4200 km away. HA HA. ;)

ArgoZ
06-06-2015, 08:17 PM
I made the long drive out to Oshawa. Great crowd, helped out by the Hawkeyes and their families. If this is what it takes to make an exciting fan day, I'm all for it. Maybe the Argos are more of an Eastern GTA team than I thought. What a beautiful afternoon though. Barker gave some great insight and the scrimmage felt much longer than previous years.

Sims barely took any snaps. If he's making the roster just to watch this year, then one of Gale or Kilgore are out. Harris looked comfortable and decent. Great throwing motion.

One thing I was disappointed in was the merchandise. I liked a particular Argo hoodie, but it was $100. All I could do was shake my head. It's so hard to get Argo gear and then they have the nerve to ask 100 bills for a freking hoodie. I don't know who is more to blame between Reebok/Argos/CFL, but we are never going to increase the teams public profile at those prices, on FAN day too!

jerrym
06-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Shh! Rogers doesn't want to hear the size of the crowd!

Rocket
06-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Good to see solid turnout at fan day. Especially considering a couple of years ago David Braley was to cheap to even have a fan day.little steps such as this will defiantly bring back popularity towards the Argos. Nice to see that they did some advertisement in the newspapers through out the week for this to. I couldn't make it all the way out to oshawa for this but Was there any promotional material being handed out for the Argos move to bmo and the last year being at skydome?

Ballstothewall
06-06-2015, 08:33 PM
It was a great day, lots of kids wearing Argo stuff, go to see

Wobbler
06-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Curtis Rush's fan day report (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/06/06/oshawa-falls-back-in-love-with-argonauts.html) is already online. It's quite nice.

doubleblue
06-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Curtis Rush's fan day report (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/06/06/oshawa-falls-back-in-love-with-argonauts.html) is already online. It's quite nice.

Good report by Curtis. I would add a couple of little notes. A bought a hamburger at the Hawkeye`s booth for $4.50, maybe they charged Toronto Star Reporters more (I would) lol.
Also he didn`t mention that Matt Black played for the Hawkeyes as well. I thought Matt had an outstanding scrimmage playing a lot as a Will LB in place of Matt Ware who was held out of practice today. His brother Eric made a nice pass knock down in tight coverage while playing the corner. I think the Argos could go with a Canadian corner if necessary (this one`s for OV). With Matt Black starting, backed up by his brother Eric and Shane Herbert. Thomas Miles could probably do alright at MLB as he looked right at home when he was in there. IMO the Argos have good Canadian depth on defense with Foley, Waud, Laing, Greenwood, Miles, Gabriel and Matt Black all capable of starting. While on offense after you get by Van Zeyl, Keeping, Holmes, Durie and Coombs, the rest aren`t ready for prime time IMO. Well maybe I should add FB`s Robinson or Dupuis will play on running downs. Dupuis looks like he could bulk up a bit and be a Lineman.
Swayze Waters looked to be in mid season form, booming 60 yard punts. Great leg for a guy not all that big.

AngeloV
06-06-2015, 11:15 PM
As a former Hawkeye, it was nice to see the turnout and Hawkeye presence in the stadium. I havent' been to the civic fields in about 20-25 years, and I was thoroughly impressed with the changes to the grounds. They really are big into sports at the grass roots level in Oshawa. I remember thinking that back when I played out there. I wish Toronto was more like that.

Neely2005
06-07-2015, 11:33 AM
It looks like a good turn out (similar to York last year) it was just to far away for us to attend this year.

argofan81
06-07-2015, 01:28 PM
My only complaint of the day was the timing allowed for the "autograph session" -- especially after travelling from Mississauga for it. The audience was told that the players would leave the field, drop off their gear and then there would be opportunity for the fans to meet the players and get autographs. Well that did happen but it was an extremely short window for the autographs. Next thing you know, they are announcing that the buses are leaving and players need to get on them! The autograph session was maybe 20-30 minutes (though it seemed shorter). I was not the only fan that left disappointed that they were not able to obtain all the autographs that they hoped for. This is the one opportunity for fans to get autographs (since they have eliminated autograph sessions after the games, etc.) so I would have liked to see longer availability. I have attended fan day for as long as I can remember, and this was by far the most disappointing one in terms of the autograph session.

ArgoZ
06-07-2015, 02:49 PM
My only complaint of the day was the timing allowed for the "autograph session" -- especially after travelling from Mississauga for it. The audience was told that the players would leave the field, drop off their gear and then there would be opportunity for the fans to meet the players and get autographs. Well that did happen but it was an extremely short window for the autographs. Next thing you know, they are announcing that the buses are leaving and players need to get on them! The autograph session was maybe 20-30 minutes (though it seemed shorter). I was not the only fan that left disappointed that they were not able to obtain all the autographs that they hoped for. This is the one opportunity for fans to get autographs (since they have eliminated autograph sessions after the games, etc.) so I would have liked to see longer availability. I have attended fan day for as long as I can remember, and this was by far the most disappointing one in terms of the autograph session.

I left right after the game. I did notice a few players being stopped for pictures and autographs on their way back from the buses. I think the session wasn't organized properly, considering the whole day was from 11am to 4pm. If you really want autographs, there's nothing like just a regular practice. You'll have the whole team to yourself before and especially after.

Argocister
06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Good report by Curtis. I would add a couple of little notes. A bought a hamburger at the Hawkeye`s booth for $4.50, .........

I think the Hawkeye burger ...... Hamburger with peamale bacon on top was the $7 .......

It was super weather, great time had by all I would think.
Good to see the kids of all ages attending, ( and that includes me at all ages) and good to have some fundraising for the
Hawkeye football group at the same time. Very important community relationship building done this fan day. The players had a fun time with the small kids with autographs and pictures.
I too enjoyed Barkers commentary, and seeing the rookies play. Thank you for the roster sheet ..... Last scrimmage game I guess I arrived too late as I didn't have one .
I won the football ...... so found my sharpy in the truck and got some signatures before the buses were to leave. Great day!

Ballstothewall
06-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Both the Star and sun, reported hundreds of fans, but those stands seat 2,500 and they were full. That photo alone shows more then a few hundred

AngeloV
06-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't say they were full. I think that photo is a little deceiving. I got there just after 2pm, sat high just to the left of the booth. There was plenty of space to sit more people. I would estimate about 1,500.

Argo57
06-07-2015, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't say they were full. I think that photo is a little deceiving. I got there just after 2pm, sat high just to the left of the booth. There was plenty of space to sit more people. I would estimate about 1,500.

Still a great turnout compared to years past.

AngeloV
06-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Still a great turnout compared to years past.

Absolutely. Didn't realize it until a couple of autograph seekers came by, but Bob O'Bilovich was sitting about 10 feet to my right. As always, he still looks as though he takes great care of himself.

jerrym
06-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Great to see such a great turnout after a solid year of negativity in the media. Also good to see the Toronto Star give the Argos some positive press.

The city of Oshawa fell back in love with the Toronto Argonauts (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos.html)on Saturday.

Hundreds turned out for Fan Day, eating $7 Hawkeye burgers, posing with the cheerleaders and watching the team scrimmage.

The Double Blue hadn’t been here since 1991, when John Candy and Rocket Ismail electrified these grounds at the Oshawa Civic Fields.

The stands brimmed with youngsters from the Oshawa Hawkeyes football program, who might one day follow in the footsteps of Jason Pottinger, the recently retired CFL star who was introduced to loud applause, or Argo defensive lineman Ricky Foley. ...
Lori Bursey, president of the Argonauts fan club, reported that interest in new memberships was high at her booth.

Meanwhile, the scrimmage provided the coaching staff with an important evaluation tool heading into Tuesday’s pre-season game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Varsity Stadium (7:30 p.m.).

One thing’s clear: Trevor Harris is sitting head-and-shoulders above the other quarterbacks.

“We’re really trying to push him to be great, not settling for pretty good,” head coach Scott Milanovich said post-scrimmage.

The backup role seems to be a neck-and-neck battle between Mitchell Gale and Logan Kilgore, while Blake Sims didn’t help his cause by throwing an interception. One of the stars of the day was newly signed wide receiver Tori Gurley, who looks like a sure-fire deep threat.

Ricky Ray didn’t play, and that’s no surprise as he recovers from off-season (http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/05/27/argos-ricky-ray-appears-weeks-away-from-return.html)shoulder surgery.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/06/06/oshawa-falls-back-in-love-with-argonauts.html

Argo57
06-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Absolutely. Didn't realize it until a couple of autograph seekers came by, but Bob O'Bilovich was sitting about 10 feet to my right. As always, he still looks as though he takes great care of himself.

Really nice down to earth guy as well, nice to see him back attending Argos functions, never seemed right seeing him as a Ticat.

AngeloV
06-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Really nice down to earth guy as well, nice to see him back attending Argos functions, never seemed right seeing him as a Ticat.

That is for sure.

Al&Kat
06-07-2015, 10:35 PM
as a native of Oshawa, it was great to be back in the old home town and the weather was cool but clear. Great job by all the Argos. Cheerleaders we love you. Booth for the Oshawa Generals, with the Memorial Cup on the table for picture-taking, a nice touch. I know it's hockey, a distant second to football as the best sport around, but still GO GENS GO! Also a nice Player Poster of the Gens gathered around the Cup at centre ice, great souvenir for a free fan take-away.

good to see also the Friends of the Argonauts there, and congrats to them on their 25th year. Whoa. Awesome. Lori you are the best.
Fun to see you there too ArgoDave, nice chatting with you.

as for autograph time, it was adequate IMO, I personally got to talk with R. Ray, J. Keeping, T. Holmes, T. Harris, A. Durie, J. King and C. Steele.
Best of all was a lovely, lengthy chat with Obie (he's living in Oakville now) what a class guy, thanks Obie for showing up, we will never forget you.

Saw some of the "new guys" that nobody knows, just trying to make the team, sitting in the front row of the bleachers during the on-field autograph session, and I heard them say to each other as they were left alone by the fans walking past, "nobody knows who we are". Well guys take the damn bull-by-the horns and MAKE US know who you are by your performance, bowl-over the coaches, make the club and HELP US WIN. Then we will love you! YOU CAN DO IT. Best wishes Toronto Argos for 2015, thanks for Fan Day, loved it! :D

BATKINSON001
06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Great thread guys. Being stuck in red deer alberta I am left to following my argos online and on tsn... finally they come to my home town and I am not there...

Will
06-08-2015, 09:28 AM
There was a good turnout, but the stands were not full especially toward the far side.

I, too, noted the decreased interactive portion of the day.

I think this is probably a product of the location. Usually fan day has been held at the same location as training camp so the logistics of getting the players there and back are non-existent. I assume they had some sort of team activity in the morning.

1argoholic
06-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Did they blare CRAP dance music like at York last year which drove me away early? Turns out I could have stopped by but just too burnt after a GREAT Friday and night in TO.

doubleblue
06-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Did they blare CRAP dance music like at York last year which drove me away early? Turns out I could have stopped by but just too burnt after a GREAT Friday and night in TO.

I guess you could say that. Not my kind of music but just something one puts up with until the game starts. Most of the "noise" they play at football games or hockey games I have never heard of, but I guess somebody supposedly likes it. I wonder if teams have ever actually polled their fans on how much we love the music they make us listen to.

AngeloV
06-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I guess you could say that. Not my kind of music but just something one puts up with until the game starts. Most of the "noise" they play at football games or hockey games I have never heard of, but I guess somebody supposedly likes it. I wonder if teams have ever actually polled their fans on how much we love the music they make us listen to.

Don't know if they follow through on it or not, but they ask fans to tweet what songs they want to hear at Argos games. It could have something to do with the selection.

ArgoZ
06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
The music they play at all sporting events does not bother me one bit. A lot is high energy pop, but that goes with dance and cheerleading squads. Even player or team introductions need some vibe. You can't have the Argos come out to Def Leopard guys. I really don't understand the complaining of music, most of the time I hardly notice it.

doubleblue
06-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Don't know if they follow through on it or not, but they ask fans to tweet what songs they want to hear at Argos games. It could have something to do with the selection.

I think I will ask for "When you and I were young Maggie" :)

Neely2005
06-08-2015, 07:21 PM

The problem last year was that they played the music to loud and they kept playing it during the practice, even when Jim Barker was doing his commentary.

1971GreyCup
06-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Are you going to Fort McMurray in 2 weeks? My son and I are heading out for the game!572

Mike "Pinball" Clemons was in attendance but didn't see that recognized in the media.

doubleblue
06-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Mike "Pinball" Clemons was in attendance but didn't see that recognized in the media.

Pinball just got there as the players were heading to the buses to drop off their equipment. Just my thoughts but I don't believe he has been very closely involved since Braley took over the team. Maybe he didn't agree with Braley's way of doing things, or maybe he is too busy with other things. Hopefully the new regime will see the light and get Michael more involved as a PR guy at least. He is still the most recognized person with the Argos.

Speaking of missing parts. Where were the Argo Notes?

1argoholic
06-09-2015, 10:14 AM
The Argo Notes were pretty pissed off from last year at York. They showed up only to have that crap dance music blaring all practice. Not sure if they even had a chance to play.

I'll never hear my type of music playing at Argo games. Went to see smoking rockabilly with The Reverand Horton Heat from Texas and The Brains out of Montreal last Friday at The Phoenix. Not going to hear that anytime soon. Oh actually every sporting event plays my all time favorite band, The Ramones. Hey Ho Let's Go and a three or four other lines from Ramones songs are always played. Most folks wouldn't have a clue what it was. NYC PUNK! Too bad The Ramones have dropped like flies. Up to four dead now. Few fill in guys over the years still taking in air.

Argo
06-09-2015, 11:28 AM
The Argo Notes were pretty pissed off from last year at York. They showed up only to have that crap dance music blaring all practice. Not sure if they even had a chance to play.

I'll never hear my type of music playing at Argo games. Went to see smoking rockabilly with The Reverand Horton Heat from Texas and The Brains out of Montreal last Friday at The Phoenix. Not going to hear that anytime soon. Oh actually every sporting event plays my all time favorite band, The Ramones. Hey Ho Let's Go and a three or four other lines from Ramones songs are always played. Most folks wouldn't have a clue what it was. NYC PUNK! Too bad The Ramones have dropped like flies. Up to four dead now. Few fill in guys over the years still taking in air.

I love (most genres) of music, but if I want to hear music, I'll (a) play an instrument (b) go to a concert (c) play a track.
When I go a football game I want to hear the sounds of the game, not blaring "music" (which never seems to STFU).

AngeloV
06-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Pinball just got there as the players were heading to the buses to drop off their equipment. Just my thoughts but I don't believe he has been very closely involved since Braley took over the team. Maybe he didn't agree with Braley's way of doing things, or maybe he is too busy with other things. Hopefully the new regime will see the light and get Michael more involved as a PR guy at least. He is still the most recognized person with the Argos.

Yeah, it is a shame the way that the Braley regime seemed to distance themselves from Pinner. He needs to be involved (at least if he wants to), because there is no negative slant that can be applied to anything he is a part of.

Argo
06-09-2015, 08:21 PM
P.S. I was not referring to, or in any way denigrating, the Argo Notes, who certainly should be a part of the game experience.

shayman
06-10-2015, 12:49 AM
P.S. I was not referring to, or in any way denigrating, the Argo Notes, who certainly should be a part of the game experience.

Thanks for the support! I think we're all happy that the season is back. Now, on to Fort McMurray! (yes, the band is going. of course. it's our home game. we have to go!)

D-Gap-Willie
06-10-2015, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the support! I think we're all happy that the season is back. Now, on to Fort McMurray! (yes, the band is going. of course. it's our home game. we have to go!)

Big thanks and applause to the Argo Notes for their unwavering devotion.

1argoholic
06-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Argo Notes or fans with drums I can deal with. Blaring music at every stoppage BLOWS!! Not every fan likes loud obnoxious dance club type music. When I hear that Selfy song I want to leave the stadium. Hell play the old CFL songs. There's one for every team and I know of at least three Argonaut ones.

1971GreyCup
06-10-2015, 01:07 PM

Mike was delayed after attending the funeral of fellow Argos teammate Keith Kelly that afternoon. A number of Alumni attended the funeral

Will
06-10-2015, 01:12 PM

He was at the game yesterday greeting everyone as usual.

AngeloV
06-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Mike was delayed after attending the funeral of fellow Argos teammate Keith Kelly that afternoon. A number of Alumni attended the funeral

Keith Kelly passed away? That is said. He was quite young...I doubt that he was in his 50's yet.

argofan81
06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Keith Kelly passed away? That is said. He was quite young...I doubt that he was in his 50's yet.

He would have been 51 in June. http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/1113217/Kelly--Keith.php

ArgoRavi
06-10-2015, 04:06 PM

I am surprised too, AV. I had not heard anything about this until now.

gilthethrill
06-10-2015, 09:03 PM

I had to look it up, I honestly don't recall Mr. Kelly but he played 14 regular season games and 2 playoff games with the Argos from 90-91.....Pinball missed a Fan Day a couple years ago to attend the funeral of another former Argo mate, Doran Major. Sad.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8