PDA

View Full Version : The Foley Tweets: First MLSE Marketing Initiative?

Rich
05-21-2015, 02:02 AM
Part of me is thinking this whole Babcock timing was planned to coincide with the Argo announcement. If you saw the press conference Larry and Bell didn't have a lot of answers about a lot of details -- there was nothing when they were asked about tickets, season ticket holders, prices, Grey Cups etc.

My guess is that they still don't have all of this stuff worked out yet. But they knew they had to make the announcement anyway. So what's the best way to avoid too many probing questions about the new Argo ownership? Announce a new coach for the Leafs.

So maybe the MLSE social media guy says let's make some hay anyway, and get the Argo with the biggest mouth to start tweeting about it. It's about time we tried to get some of these Argos players known to the public.

I know this sounds far-fetched but the truth is that it all worked out well for the Argos today. Foley's tweets gained a lot of traction, especially among people who are sick of all these promises of glory from the Maple Leafs. A lot of people discovered who Ricky Foley was today, and they saw a scrappy guy sticking up for the underdog, and they liked it. The Babcock announcement killed two birds with one stone for the new Argos owners.

T-Bone
05-21-2015, 08:07 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Conspiracy theorists will suggest the upstaging of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Argos?src=hash">#Argos</a> with Babcock news today was a Rogers ploy to spoil day for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Curtis Rush (@CurtisGRush) <a href="https://twitter.com/CurtisGRush/status/601171681177108480">May 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Argos player Ricky Foley 'sick' of lack of attention CFL gets in Toronto (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/argos-player-ricky-foley-sick-of-lack-of-attention-cfl-gets-in-toronto-1.3081044)

I highly doubt MLSE would want Foley anywhere near the marketing department. I can understand why some agree with part of his message but his delivery was highly unprofessional. He essentially wrote higher paid foreign athletes have less passion and give less effort than Canadian CFL players. I wonder how his American team/league mates fell about that along with all the other foreign athletes that play for Canadian teams.

Will
05-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I highly doubt that MLSE was behind Foley's tweets. There wouldn't have been the shots at the Maple Leafs/Raptors personnel if the rant was planned.

ArgoGabe22
05-21-2015, 09:55 AM
<iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>He essentially wrote higher paid foreign athletes have less passion and give less effort than Canadian CFL players. I wonder how his American team/league mates fell about that along with all the other foreign athletes that play for Canadian teams.

I thought he was referring to the other big leagues like the NHL. For instance American Phil Kessel or some Russian NHLer who always seem to get Don Cherry fired up.
<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ArgoRavi
05-21-2015, 10:01 AM
I thought he was referring to the other big leagues like the NHL. For instance American Phil Kessel or some Russian NHLer who always seem to get Don Cherry fired up.
<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I thought that he was referring more to the Raptors whose American players showed so little heart in the playoffs. He was certainly slamming the Leafs who similarly showed little heart this past season too.

mchesher03
05-21-2015, 10:20 AM
haha no one was behind Ricky Foley's rants but Ricky himself. He should know better, period. That said who care about the the timing? Argos have a new stadium and a new owner starting next season, i could care less about Babcock or anything else right now - we've waited what seems like forever for this and I'm only 33!!!

T-Bone
05-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Well what you thought is not what he wrote:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'll tell you one thing these CDN <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a> boys don't claim 'wetheNORTH' then head home to the south during off seasons... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash">#NBA</a></p>&mdash; Ricky Foley (@Foley4Real) <a href="https://twitter.com/Foley4Real/status/601106958519767040">May 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Regardless if what you thought is what he meant, it is still unprofessional calling out athletes as lacking passion or effort because they are not Canadian. It comes off a bit xenophobic.

argonaut11xx
05-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Well what you thought is not what he wrote:
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" style="border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" title="Twitter Tweet" height="203"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Regardless if what you thought is what he meant, it is still unprofessional calling out athletes as lacking passion or effort because they are not Canadian. It comes off a bit xenophobic.

T-Bone, your are correct in your comments, that said, Foley like many of us passionate Argofans thought it was classless of David Shoalts to bring up the Babcock story at the Argo presser.

Just read a story about this, and the poll attached shows 85% support for Ricky.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/argos-player-ricky-foley-sick-of-lack-of-attention-cfl-gets-in-toronto-1.3081044
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

T-Bone
05-21-2015, 11:00 AM
T-Bone, your are correct in your comments, that said, Foley like many of us passionate Argofans thought it was classless of David Shoalts to bring up the Babcock story at the Argo presser.

Just read a story about this, and the poll attached shows 85% support for Ricky.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/argos-player-ricky-foley-sick-of-lack-of-attention-cfl-gets-in-toronto-1.3081044
I agree what David Shoalts did was classless but that doesn't excuse Foley's response. You need to fight classlessness with class and Foley doesn't come off very classy in most cases which is why he should have probably just stayed silent in this case. Or at least get someone to help him articulate his point properly.

1argoholic
05-21-2015, 01:39 PM
I think Foley's comments were bang on. He's sick of the CFL and Argonauts getting crapped on in TO and so am I. A sweet classy comment wouldn't have made news.

How long does Babcock last? We've had three very good coaches fail big time and I think that MLSE is still paying two of them. Babcock has zero pressure on him as the team and city are both used to poor performances.

jerrym
05-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Classless or not, Foley said what many Argo fans have thought and written here for years.

argolio
05-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Did Foley go too far? Yeah, probably a bit, but I'm glad someone spoke out.

Stouffvillain
05-21-2015, 03:17 PM
I think Foley's comments were bang on. He's sick of the CFL and Argonauts getting crapped on in TO and so am I. A sweet classy comment wouldn't have made news.

How long does Babcock last? We've had three very good coaches fail big time and I think that MLSE is still paying two of them. Babcock has zero pressure on him as the team and city are both used to poor performances.

Bang on! I was pissed when the Babcock news came out and completely overshadowed the Argos on their momentous occasion. The Argos don't any attention on mainstream radio/tv with any regularity and it was a dick move by the guys that leaked it when they did.

Good on Foley!

R.J
05-21-2015, 03:27 PM
I have no issue with the news being leaked, as it was expected for quite some time that Babcock was going to make his decision on the 20th, however Dave Shoaltz asking the question during the press conference, was shady to say the least.

AngeloV
05-21-2015, 03:56 PM
I have no issue with the news being leaked, as it was expected for quite some time that Babcock was going to make his decision on the 20th, however Dave Shoaltz asking the question during the press conference, was shady to say the least.

Exactly the way I feel.

Will
05-21-2015, 03:58 PM

Shoalts questioning was idiotic, but I don't subscribe to the belief that the leak was some sort of conspiracy theory by Rogers. Dreger and McKenzie were pursuing the story just as much as Sportsnet's people were, and as you point out, it's been known for months that Babcock was going to decide yesterday.

Argocister
05-22-2015, 01:16 AM
I think Foley should present Babcock with a number 95 Argos jersey ..... A type of sharing a special day gift !
..... Foleys comments show his passion for the CFL. After coming back from Saskatchewan where the game is respected, I don't blame Foley for making the comments. If they attract attention, well I will take the silver lining ....
Yep an Argos jersey for
Babcock ..... Just have to find a good time and place to give it to him.

Will
05-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Funny thing is that Babcock would likely be a Rider fan if he is a CFL fan.

Argocister
05-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Funny thing is that Babcock would likely be a Rider fan if he is a CFL fan.

Well maybe we can change that ..... And who better to give him an Argos shirt but
Foley who was with the Riders.

Fumblitis
05-22-2015, 12:38 PM
I have to wonder if Foley took his shot at the Leafs not so much because they of the question during the Argo ownership presser. The comment he directed at guys like Kessel and Phaneuf, sure he was pissed about the Shoalts question but maybe also as a long time disgruntled Leafs fan.

Will
05-23-2015, 09:09 AM
I have to wonder if Foley took his shot at the Leafs not so much because they of the question during the Argo ownership presser. The comment he directed at guys like Kessel and Phaneuf, sure he was pissed about the Shoalts question but maybe also as a long time disgruntled Leafs fan.

No, I have to say the leak prompted it.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8